[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Kim Go Eun Pairs Up With Lee Min Ho For Her Drama Comeback

20190520_091104.jpg?resize=660,400&ssl=1

KIM GO EUN MAKES HER MUCH-AWAITED SMALL SCREEN COMEBACK IN HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED DRAMA WITH LEE MIN HO!

Reuniting with star writer Kim Eun Sook, the powerhouse cast and production team eye broadcast date in 2020.

Based on the narrative overview, The King: the Eternal Monarch (working title) featurestwo settings featuring parallel universe concept. It is also billed to showcase romantic moments for the hero and chosen female lead.

Following Lee Min Ho’s dual portrayal, the same challenge will be tackled by the actress. She suits up for contrasting characters in the two parallel words. In Korean empire she portrays criminal Luna. Meanwhile, in the Republic of Korea world, she is Jung Tae Eul, a detective who will team up with Lee Min Ho’s character Lee Gon.

Tasked to present antithesis characters, Kim Go Eun acknowledged the heavy load but vows to accomplish it. “It is not easy to play extreme characters like a criminal and detective. She said, “I thought that if I had a wide range of acting skills, I could do a good job for the two characters, one for Jung Tae Eul and one for Luna.”

Taking the parallel world theme, The King: the Eternal Monarch depicts the story of Emperor Lee Gon, who is fighting off a supernatural villain by closing the door that leads to another dimension. In the other dimension, he seeks the help of his detective counterpart and Jung Tae Eul.

After the massive success of Goblin, Kim Go Eun appeared in 2018 film Sunset in my Hometown. Moreover, she stars alongside Jung Hae In for film Yoo Yeol’s Music Album, which is scheduled to be released this year.

While she has relatively worked on films since her debut in 2012, the actress gained mainstream success with her television dramas Cheese in the Trap and the iconic series Guardian: the Lonely and Great God.

With confirmed commanding main leads starring Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun, the series schedules its filming in the second half of the year to enhance its perfection.

https://www.hellokpop.com/news/kim-go-eun-lee-min-ho-drama-comeback/

• Like 4

[SBS Star] Kim Go-eun Confirms to Star in a New Fantasy Romance Drama Alongside Lee Minho

201314905_1280.jpg

Korean actress Kim Go-eun has decided to join a new fantasy romance drama that actor Lee Minho had recently confirmed to star in. On May 20, the a production team of an upcoming drama 'The King: the Eternal Monarch' (literal translation) revealed that Kim Go-eun will lead their drama alongside Lee Minho.

201314907_1280.jpg

'The King: the Eternal Monarch' will be directed by Baik Sang-hoon, who directed 'The Descendants of the Sun' (2016), and is written by famous screenplay writer Kim Eun-sook. Kim Eun-sook's works include mega-hit dramas like 'Secret Garden' (2010), 'The Heirs' (2013), 'The Descendants of the Sun' (2016), 'Guardian: the Lonely and Great God' (2016), and many more. Lee Minho previously worked with Kim Eun-sook on 'The Heirs', and it will be the second time for Kim Go-eun to be teaming up with the writer as well, as she worked with her on 'Guardian: the Lonely and Great God'.

201314909_1280.jpg

It has been said the story of 'The King: the Eternal Monarch' is based around an alternative reality. In one world, the Emperor of the Korean Empire 'Lee Gon' (Lee Minho) seeks to keep the door to an alternate reality closed, while in the other, a detective of the Republic of Korea 'Jung Tae-eul' (Kim Go-eun) tries to keep the door open in order to protect her life and the people she loves. Besides playing a role of 'Jung Tae-eul' who lives in Republic of Korea, Kim Go-eun will also act as 'Luna', a criminal living in the Korean Empire.

201314910_1280.jpg

Meanwhile, 'The King: the Eternal Monarch' is scheduled to start shooting in the second half of the year and unveil its episodes in the first half of 2020. (Lee Narin, Credit= 'ggonekim' Instagram, 'OfficialLeeMinho' Facebook, 'minoz' Official Website, SBS funE) (SBS Star)

출처 : SBS 뉴스
원본 링크 : https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005273202&plink=COPYPASTE&cooper=SBSNEWSEND

• Like 5

9 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

1.[+610, -87] She doesn’t match Lee Min Ho.

2. [+553, -197] I’m curious about her background. Is it definitely due to her acting?

3. [+329, -63] Lee Min Ho has strong features. They don’t match

4. [+430, -273] Don’t pretend to be cute like in ‘Goblin’

5. [+221, -102] I’m looking forward to seeing Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun. Lee Min Ho will show his character.

6. [+108, -29] Oh, that’s so annoying.

7. [+116, -55] Pretty and good actress! Park Shin-hye, Song Hye-kyo, Kim Tae-hee, why not choose them?

8. [+69, -11] I don’t want to hear her nasal voice anymore.

OMG :crazy: whyyyyy? She is pretty and good actress though...

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to this drama as this will be Kim Go Eun’s first drama in a saguek role and am excited to see her chemistry with Lee Min Ho. It will be interesting to see how much world building Kim Eun Sook will spend in each world and how she will meld the two different parallel universe together. I can’t wait to hear more casting news in the coming days to see which actors and actresses will be joining KGE and LMH in the drama.

Also interesting to note per article below that Kim Eun Sook may have pitched the drama to KGE as KGE is currently taking classes in LA at the moment and will have to quit once production starts.

[HanCinema's News] Kim Go-eun to Quit Language School in Los Angeles to Prepare for "The King: Forever Sovereign"

Spoiler

photo1064686.jpg

Early this year Kim Go-eun started going to a foreign language school in Los Angeles. This was made possible by her relatively light schedule as of late. Since "Goblin" finished back in 2016, Kim Go-eun's only projects have been the movie "Sunset in My Hometown" and the as-yet unreleased film "Yoo-Yeol's Music Album".

A representative from Kim Go-eun's agency, BH Entertainment, has stated that while no firm schedule has been set for the production of "The King: Forever Sovereign" they were currently expecting that she would stop going once such a schedule has been confirmed. Schedule confirmation would probably also mean that Kim Go-eun would start living in South Korea more reliably again, as she has had to travel between the United States and South Korea with some frequency as of late.

Kim Go-eun's prior language school commitment, when taken into consideration with her light acting career since "Goblin", suggests that she may not have been actively seeking out a new role. It seems likely that "The King: Forever Sovereign" screenwriter Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote "Goblin", may have pitched the former "Goblin" star on the positives of the project during her last visit to South Korea. "The King: Forever Sovereign" is expected to air on television sometime next year.

Cr Hancinema

• Like 6

K-news about The King, I found several translated J-news, but have not found English translation yet.

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=382&aid=0000734228

Lee Min-ho, "The King" Upgrades "Faith" and "Heirs"

0000734228_001_20190525092112015.jpg?typ

Actor lee min-ho is set to take on a striking look in his new film, "The King: The eternal monarch", which has been released for three years.

Lee min-ho, who plays The seemingly perfect monarch of The Korean empire in next year's "The King: The eternal monarch," suffers from a painful childhood. In this regard, The broadcasting industry thinks of lee min-ho's previous roles in "Faith" and "Heirs", and expects lee min-ho to combine The charm of these two roles and upgrade it in "The King", because lee min-ho has a great advantage in perfectly digesting roles with reversed charm.

In "The King" Lee Min Ho will show a in appearance, posture, temperament, achievements, military and so on various aspects is perfect monarch image, at the same time the character also has a high level of equestrian strength, but in the place where people's eyes don't reach, he shows the opposite action : very sensitive, with obsessive-compulsive disorder, don't like others touch, at the same time the heart is very suspicious.

Lee min-ho will show more  powerful leadership and charisma than his role as captain of the koryo imperial guard in "Faith". In particular, the first public appearance of lee in a royal costume on the show has already begun to stir curiosity.

The "tsundere" charm between roughness and innocence is also peaked. In the drama, Lee Min-ho crosses over to the present and creates a series of rambling stories with detective Kim Geon-eun, each living in 1995 and 2020 according to his own identity, but unable to adapt to his own era, and the scenes add comic effect.

At The same time, The drama also stimulates female audience's maternal love, because Lee Min-ho in "The King" will also show the fear of losing The throne because of death.

Lee's success in digesting The fantasy rom-com "legend of The blue sea" is one reason people are looking forward to "The King."

(Translated by Google according to Korean, Japanese, and Chinese.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2019 at 3:42 AM, marykarmelina said:

Hi everyone,

Please help us request The King: The Eternal Monarch on Viki

Here: https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Thank you

Hello I am from England. Please can I join in on this forum?

I have filled in the Viki request form-so excited about this drama.

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images. Thanks
  • Like 2