[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Thanks @syntyche for posting .. those are amazing fan-made posters. 

This article was posted May 23 but just the same news about Kim Go-Eun. I hope we get more casting news soon. 

https://www.eonline.com/ap/news/1043805/goblin-s-kim-go-eun-is-confirmed-to-star-opposite-lee-min-ho-in-new-drama

Goblin's Kim Go-Eun is Confirmed to Star Opposite Lee Min-Ho in New Drama

by HANAN HADDAD | Thu., 23 May. 2019 3:10 AM

rs_1024x620-190523030457-leeminho-kim.jp

Since his recent discharge from mandatory military service, 31-year-old Lee Min-Ho is jumping right back into work. 

Details of his upcoming drama are being released slowly and it looks like things are coming along nicely for the Boys Over Flowers star. Recently, it has been confirmed by Studio Dragon Corporation, a South Korean drama production company under CJ Entertainment, that 28-year-old actress Kim Go-Eun will be starring opposite Lee. 

Kim is most known for her starring role in the mega hit K-drama, Goblin, alongside Gong Yoo. Studio Dragon Corporation, the production house of the new drama titled The King: Forever the Monarch, stated that Kim's incredible acting in Goblin was one of the many reasons they casted her as the lead.

The King: Forever the Monarch revolves around the idea of parallel worlds whereby a door to an alternate universe opens when god set devil free in the human world. Due to multiple worlds being involved, the production house was looking for an actress with great character versatility. 

"Acting for extreme characters like a detective and criminal is not an easy task. Looking at the way she interpreted characters in various films and the natural acting she showed in the growth of a girl to a woman in Goblin, we judged that if it were the broad acting skills of Kim Go-Eun, she'd be able to successfully take on Jeong Tae-Eul and Luna's double role," stated Studio Dragon Corporation. 

They elaborated further by saying, "The King: Forever the Monarch represents a fantasy romance drama that crosses in between the parallel worlds of South Korea and the Korean Empire and Kim Go-Eun will challenge herself to a double role with a South Korean detective, Jeong Tae-Eul, and a character called Luna, who lives a low life as a criminal of the Korean Empire."

With the leads secured, filming is expected to commence in the latter half of 2019 and we can estimate the drama to air during the first half of 2020. 

• Like 7

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=468&aid=0000515586

Casting news (not confirmed) ! 

(Google translate)

[Dedicated] Udo-hwan, Kim Eun-sook's new man .. 'Ducking' cast

0000515586_001_20190603072318864.jpg?typ

[Sports Sasung Kyung Kyoung reporter] The actor Woo Do-hwan was selected for a new work by Kim Eun-sook. 

Woo Do-hwan is scheduled to be released in the first half of next year, and Kim Eun-sook's new drama 'The King: Eternity Monarch' (hereafter The King) is on the verge of appearing. According to a plurality of broadcasting officials, Udo Dang was selected as Jo Eun-seop of 'Ducking' and is in close coordination with the drama producer regarding casting. It was reported that he had a recent meeting and discussed the act positively. 

If Woo Do-Hwan confirms casting, he will be named as the main character after actor Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun in 'The King' which is considered as the best anticipated work of next year. In addition, Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun worked together with Kim Eun Sook once in a row, but Woo Do Hwan is the first to focus attention. Above all, in the drama of Kim Eun-sook, the so-called "sub-men" actors are enjoying the popularity of the peak, so the expectation of Udo Han also increases. 

Especially, Cho Eun-sup, who was offered by Woo Do-hwan, seems to be an ordinary social worker, but in another world, he is a guardian of Emperor Yi-gon (Lee Min-ho). 'The King' is the emperor emperor of the imperial emperor Lee Min-ho who is trying to close the door of the dimension against the demon and the Korean penal servant Jung Tae who is trying to protect someone's life, Kim Go-eun) is a fantasy drama drawing a different romance through cooperation of. It is expected that it will be able to boast of various charms by playing a role as a one-person two-

Meanwhile, Udo has been active in the anime theater with his debut as a man living in KBS2 in 2016, OCN 'Rescue' (2017), KBS2 'Mad Dog' (2017) and MBC 'Great Tempter' (2018). He appeared in the movie 'Master' (2016) and will be released this summer. 

Currently, JTBC 'My Country' is scheduled to be broadcasted in September. 

• Like 5

Google translate: I guess it's confirmed.

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=609&aid=0000118113

Udo ring side "Kim Eun-sook" The King "appearance confirmation" Lee Minho and breathing (official entry)201906030755318010_1_20190603085921261.j 

[Newsen Park Soo-in reporter] 

Actor Udo-hwan appears in a new work by Kim Eun-sook. 

"We have confirmed the appearance of the drama 'The King: Eternity of the Monarch' in Udon Hwan 's Newsen on June 3rd. 

'The King of Eternity' is an emperor of the imperial empire who is trying to close the door of the dimension against the whispers of the devil against the backdrop of the 'parallel world' , A romance drama that is different from the other, which sometimes happens while doing harmony between these two worlds, and sometimes it is a crime. Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun confirmed their appearances, and Udo Bund joined them to complete the lead lineup. 

Meanwhile, 'The King: Eternal Monarch' will be filmed in the second half of this year and will be broadcasted in the first half of 2020. (Photo = Newsen DB) 

• Like 6

Woo Do Hwan Confirmed To Join Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun In Writer Kim Eun Sook’s New Drama

Woo Do Hwan Confirmed To Join Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun In Writer Kim Eun Sook’s New Drama

Jun 3, 2019
by E. Cha

Woo Do Hwan will be joining Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun in Kim Eun Sook’s new drama!

On June 3, Woo Do Hwan’s agency KeyEast confirmed that the actor would be appearing in the upcoming drama “The King: The Eternal Monarch” (working title). The drama will be penned by Kim Eun Sook, the famous screenwriter behind hit dramas such as “Heirs,” “Descendants of the Sun,” “Goblin,” and “Mr. Sunshine.”

“The King: The Eternal Monarch” is a fantasy romance drama about two parallel universes. One universe resembles modern-day Korea as we know it, while the other is an alternate universe in which Korea is an empire ruled by a single monarch. In order to fight evil and close the door between their two worlds, the ruler of the Korean Empire ends up joining forces with a detective who resides in modern-day Korea.

Last month, the producers of the drama confirmed that Lee Min Ho would be starring as emperor Lee Gon, while Kim Go Eun would be playing both detective Jung Tae Eul and her lookalike criminal Luna.

Although both Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun have worked with Kim Eun Sook in the past, “The King: The Eternal Monarch” will mark Woo Do Hwan’s very first collaboration with the acclaimed writer. In the upcoming drama, Woo Do Hwan will be playing the role of Jo Eun Seob, an ordinary public service worker who lives in modern-day Korea. He will also reportedly be playing Jo Young, the bodyguard of emperor Lee Gon.

“The King: The Eternal Monarch” is currently scheduled to begin filming in the second half of this year and to premiere in early 2020.

Are you excited to see Woo Do Hwan join Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun in this new drama? Leave your thoughts below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1329367wpp/woo-do-hwan-confirmed-to-join-lee-min-ho-and-kim-go-eun-in-writer-kim-eun-sooks-new-drama

• Like 8

Hello, everyone. So happy to see this thread!

I'm a huge KGE fan so I'm pretty much excited for her comeback on TV. I just hope they are able to pull off the chemistry. I have never imagined LMH and KGE in a project, ever! LOL But hey, this is THE Lee Min Ho. And KGE is one of the best actresses of this generation (bias aside, this is why I love her so much) so I'm so ecstatic and really looking forward to this! 

I have read so many positive reactions to this pairing. But I'm not in the dark when it comes to her haters lol I hope they try and watch her other projects. She definitely can pull off just about anything. 

• Like 7

Woo Do Hwan Joins New Drama With Lee Min Ho And Kim Go Eun

What a star-studded cast.

VixEH1fN3zAvR6N4Fx5r5VAfwAPzY1yCwJlxgk4d

Li

Actor Woo Do Hwan will be joining Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun in Kim Eun Sook‘s upcoming drama The King: Forever the Monarch. The King: Forever the Monarch is a fantasy romance drama that crosses in between the parallel worlds of South Korea and the Korean Empire.

The drama, which is scheduled to air in the first half of 2020, recently held a meeting with him, and he is accepted the offer to join the cast. His agency KeyEast has released their confirmation statement.

Woo Do Hwan is confirmed to join The King: Forever the Monarch.

— KeyEast

He will take on the role of Jo Eun Seop, who in the current world is an ordinary public service worker but in the fantasy world, he is the bodyguard for Lee Geon (Lee Min Ho’s role). Each of the main characters in the drama will be displaying their acting skills with 2 different roles.

Currently, Woo Do Hwan is preparing for his appearance in JTBC‘s new drama My Country, which also stars AOA‘s Seolhyun and Jang Hyuk. That drama will begin airing in September.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/woo-hwan-joins-new-drama-lee-min-ho-kim-go-eun/

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sksen said:

I think Kim Go Eun is a better than LMH.  I will watch this for KGE.

I can't understand the need to compare  an actress from an actor or put anyone up for comparison.  Just appreciate their individual talent is enough. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Anyway, but in the Kim Eun Sook‘s dramas I like the bromance most of all. Well, it will be curious to look at the chemistry of Woo Do Hwan and Lee Min Ho ...:wub::D

And yes, there is so much fan-art already ... You can see right away that the fans have missed Lee Min Ho ... Wow, what ratings will there be when the drama comes out on the screens !!!:w00t:

• Like 6

Woo Do Hwan confirmed to star alongside Kim Go Eun and Lee Min Ho in new drama series ‘The King: The Eternal Monarch’

woodohwanjpg.jpg

Woo Do Hwan has been cast as another lead character in the upcoming drama series ‘The King: The Eternal Monarch’. The drama, which is slated for release in the first half of 2020, is one of the most highly anticipated series for next year. The production reunites ‘Heirs’ and ‘Goblin’ writer Kim Eun Sook with Kim Go Eun and Lee Min Ho, who are the other two confirmed leads of the show.

Woo Do Hwan will be playing two characters as ‘The King: The Eternal Monarch’ takes place in two parallel worlds. His character, Jo Eun Seop, seems to be an ordinary social service worker, but in another time serves as a bodyguard to the Korean emperor, Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho). Writer Kim Eun Sook is known to have propelled many male actors to the peak of their popularity, which makes this a potentially career-defining role for the actor.

Woo Do Hwan has previously starred in ‘Great Temptation’ alongside Red Velvet’s Joy and is set to star across AOA’s Seolhyun in the upcoming series, ‘My Country’.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/06/woo-do-hwan-confirmed-to-star-alongside-kim-go-eun-and-lee-min-ho-in-new-drama-series-the-king-the-eternal-monarch

4053da3a-3b01-475f-9172-3a958e81a308.jpg?resize=660%2C400&ssl=1

Woo Do Hwan Joins Lee Min Ho’s Drama “The King: The Eternal Monarch”

K-DRAMA FANS WILL GET THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS WITH CONFIRMED APPEARANCE OF WOO DO HWAN ON LEE MIN HO’S DRAMA.

Boarding the star-studded The King: The Eternal Monarch, Woo Do Hwan takes part in the upcoming drama set to air in 2020. The eagerly-awaited series is penned by star writer Kim Eun Suk and directed by Baek Sang Hoon.

Currently working with fellow talented actor Yang Se Jong and senior actor Jang Hyuk for jTBC’s My Country, Woo will greet Korean drama fans in the second half of 2019.

Interestingly, the star of The Great Seducer is stringing projects following the recent dominant trend of pairing up two popular actors. Aside from his action-historical drama with Yang & Jang, he is also the villain in Park Seo Joon’s latest film, The Divine Fury.

A representative from Woo Do Hwan’s agency affirmed the casting news relaying the actor will head to filming as soon as My Country wraps up.

Similar to Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun’s released dual portrayals, Woo also takes two roles. In modern Korea, he is an ordinary social worker, where as in Korean empire world, he is the guardian of Lee’s character.

Taking the parallel world theme, The King: the Eternal Monarch depicts the story of Emperor Lee Gon, who is fighting off a supernatural villain by closing the door that leads to another dimension. In the other dimension, he seeks the help of his detective counterpart and Jung Tae Eul.

https://www.hellokpop.com/kdrama/woo-do-hwan-joins-lee-min-ho-king-the-eternal-monarch/

• Like 6

When I read that Kim Eun Sook is going to write new drama i was anticipating this... yes i passed her last drama "Mr. Sunshine" (and haven't watched it until now). And then I read that she will colaborate with the DOTS director yess... I'm in I said to my self.

Then Lee MIn Ho step inside the picture I'm grinning from ear to ear just to read the news title....... I don't care who is the female lead I'm sure its going to be good.... remember when everyone argue about Kim Go Eun as female lead in Goblin??? turn out everyone love Eun Tak. And I'm sure she will portrayed the character very well.

And now Woo Do Hwan too.... WOW I love this drama already!!!!!! 2.gif?w=560

• Like 9
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, happivirus said:

I can't understand the need to compare  an actress from an actor or put anyone up for comparison.  Just appreciate their individual talent is enough. 

Not trying to compare. My intention was to show my support for KGE  and I know that there are more LMH supporters here. I'm a female viewer and that I should be going crazy over LMH but my perspective of him as an actor hasn't been that good but it doesn't mean I don't him I just think KGE is a better actor ( reminder this is just my opinion). 

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

18 hours ago, sksen said:

It's great that you're KGE's fan cos I like her as an actress as well. I hope in the future you can find a better way to support your bias. Voicing your love for her and keeps praising her talents. On the others hands if you keep insisting in your opinion who is a better actor, why the needs to do so? For an example if someone else feels the needs in their opinion KGE can't act and their bias is way better actress than KGE isn't this the wrong way to go about? Wouldn't it be better to voice our opinion in supporting our bias projects and talents in a positive ways?

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

4 hours ago, happivirus said:

It's great that you're KGE's fan cos I like her as an actress as well. I hope in the future you can find a better way to support your bias. Voicing your love for her and keeps praising her talents. On the others hands if you keep insisting in your opinion who is a better actor, why the needs to do so? For an example if someone else feels the needs in their opinion KGE can't act and their bias is way better actress than KGE isn't this the wrong way to go about? Wouldn't it be better to voice our opinion in supporting our bias projects and talents in a positive ways?

I will watch this show regardless. Hopefully he proves me wrong ( actually he doesn't have to prove anything to me...he's a mega rich actor so he won't need my support). I'm going back to being a lurker.  Thank you for your thought and perspective. Have a wonderful day or night. 

• Like 2

Can't agree more with @happivirus. Spot on.

We indeed need to support bias wisely, wiser. No need to compare and put someone else's bias under, because that is rude.

Me, my self, frankly interested to visit this forum because of Leeminho. I honestly don't know much about K-drama but I have seen several works of Leeminho. And I found them good, great. I love them. And Leeminho, I really think that he is a great actor with great talent. Definitely not just actor with beautiful face. I really amaze with his eyes particularly. His eyes could speak many emotions. Thats amazing. :))

• Like 9

Woo Do-hwan signs on for The King: Eternal Ruler with Kim Go-eun, Lee Min-ho0000515586_001_20190603072318864.jpg

Casting continues for writer Kim Eun-sook’s new drama The King: Eternal Ruler. The management for actor Woo Do-hwan (The Great Seducer) has confirmed that he’s been accepted a part alongside Lee Min-ho (Legend of the Blue Sea) and Kim Go-eun (The Lonely Shining Goblin).

The crux of the fantasy romance revolves around the chaos that is caused when a gateway opens up between two Koreas in parallel universes. In one dimension, Korea is a monarchy ruled by Emperor Lee Gon (played by Lee Min-ho), whose goal is to close the portal and stop the demons that have entered his world through the gateway. However, his motives are at odds with police officer Jung Tae-il (played by Kim Go-eun) who comes from the Korea that we are familiar with as “real.” Although closing the portal may ultimately be good for both Koreas, instinctively her first and foremost priority is to protect people and to protect the lives of the people she loves.

Similar to Kim Go-eun having parallel counterparts in both worlds, Woo Do-hwan has also been offered a dual role. In the “real” Korea, he would be playing an ordinary public service worker by the name of Jo Eun-seop. And in the parallel Korean empire, he would be taking on the role of Jo Young, who is Emperor Lee Gon’s personal bodyguard.

The King: Eternal Ruler is currently still in the planning stages and is set to air sometime in the first half of 2020. In the meantime, we will be seeing Woo Do-hwan back in dramaland this autumn when JTBC’s My Country airs in September.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/woo-do-hwan-signs-on-for-the-king-eternal-ruler-with-kim-go-eun-lee-min-ho/

• Like 4

Anticipated K-Drama ‘The King: Forever Sovereign’ Casts Charismatic A-List Stars

Joan MacDonaldContributor

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/06/05/anticipated-k-drama-the-king-forever-sovereign-casts-charismatic-a-list-stars/

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

What can you expect when a successful South Korean screenwriter enlists two of the mega-stars she previously had hits with for a new TV drama? Hopefully, another highly successful drama, but fans of writer Kim Eun Sook, actor Lee Min Ho and actress Kim Go Eun will have to wait until 2020 to find out just how charmed this collaboration will be.

That’s when their venture, The King: Forever Sovereign, also known as The King: Monarch of Eternity, is due to air.

Kim Eun Sook has written more than a dozen successful Korean TV dramas including Secret Garden, A Gentleman’s Dignity, The Heirs, Descendants of the Sun, Guardian: The Lonely and Great God and Mr. Sunshine. A 2017 survey by TV Report voted Kim Eun Sook Korea’s best screenwriter. Known for her witty dialogue and on-trend writing, Kim is also master of the fantasy genre, whether the plot involves lovers swapping bodies or lonely gods who fall in love.

Although Kim Eun Sook rarely casts the same actors twice, she previously worked with actor Lee Min Ho in The Heirs, a Korean take on the American series Gossip GirlThe King: Forever Sovereign will be Lee’s comeback role since he recently completed his two-year mandatory military duty, that’s expected of all able-bodied Korean men, ages 18 to 35. The actor began his military duty after completing another fantasy drama Legend of the Blue Sea, which co-starred Jun Ji Hyun.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Kim Eun Sook also worked with Kim Go Eun before, since she wrote the script for Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, aka Goblin, which was one of the highest rated dramas in Korean cable history. Kim Go Eun headlined that drama with co-star Gong Yoo. Since the end of the 2016 drama Kim Go Eun has only appeared in two films:  Sunset in My Hometown and the yet-to-be-released Yoo Yeol’s Music Album.

Spoiler

Like Guardian, Kim Eun Sook’s new project is a fantasy, involving otherworldly creatures, with a plot that travels between parallel universes. In this story, a deity unleashes a demon which opens the door between the two worlds. The main characters may find they have a double in the other world, which is likely to create problems in both worlds. 

For example, Kim Go Eun will play detective Jeong Tae Eul in one world and a criminal named Luna in the other. So far it’s known that Lee Min Ho will play Emperor Lee Gon in one world, but not much is known about his proposed role in the alternative world—or even if he has one. As the emperor he will try to shut the door between the worlds.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Actor Woo Do Hwan also recently signed on to the cast of this drama. One of his two roles will be serving as Emperor Lee Gon’s bodyguard. The actor attracted attention in the drama Save Me, then went on to appear in the dramas Mad Dog and The Great Seducer and in the film Master.

The drama project makes it possible for one more reunion. Writer Kim Eun Sook and director Baek Sang Hoon worked together on Descendents of the Sun, another hugely successful drama, which won the Grand Prize for television drama at the 52nd Baeksang Awards.

The King: Forever Sovereign, produced by Hwa and Dam Pictures, begins filming in 2019. Given the well-regarded participants, the odds of success are high.

• Like 8