Quantcast
liltash85

[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

Annayesayo chingudeul....

I like the drama so far. But I have to say, it's not one of the best works of JCW. My main issue is the leads are getting way less screen time.... Cry cry. 

For eg. I dont know why I must invest so much on the relationship between Mi Ran's ex and her friend. Ugh

But I so am looking forward to their son's reaction when he finds out the noona he has a crush on is his father's ex. I also really wish he gets more screen time than his annoying parents. 

I wish they will give more screen time to the leads, letting them grow their affection beyond Dong Chan feeling responsible for Mi Ran. 

Anyways I have not been posting much because I thought I must not overanalyze the show.

That said, even though I have issues with the show, I dont think it's on the level that I will drop it. (I will never drop a JCW show anyways)

But what I meant is I won't drop it even if it's not a JCW show. Because till now, the plot lines and character behaviours are ok with me. 

So I really really hope the drama picks up steam from next episode onwards.

Fighting MMS!

• Like 5

On 10/22/2019 at 3:10 PM, cherkell said:

Note:  I made the mistake of having the Viki timed comments on while watching Dong-chan and Ha-young's hotel room scene in Episode 7.  I have NEVER seen such misogeny, hate speech and personal attacks on an actress before in all my decades of watching Korean dramas.  Those commenters should be ashamed of themselves.  I hope karma bites them hard for their vitriol.

Omo!!! That is so sad!! That kiss was fire and I WANT THEM TO GET TOGETHER!! I felt it in my gut!! (That's the problem with these idol hearthrobs, their fans are mean and rabid and cruel to anyone who kisses "OPPA!")  I've made my peace with the fact that I wouldn't get my noona romance, but that kiss had me wishing!! If only!:bawling:  

And the complaints about the Female Lead's voice.... I don't understand!! Her deep voice is ridiculously sexy!

I wasn't too enthralled by the script when the synopsis was announced but I stuck around because of the cast.The drama is really not up to par, let's be honest... (what with all those cartoon-ish characters and a plot that needs serious panel beating, but I will hang on, hoping for another noona kiss...lol). I'm not sure what's going in the writer's mind because she can write brilliant stuff as evidenced by Woman Of Dignity, so I am more disappointed in her work this time. it's not at her level!!

*As I go back to replaying the kiss scene* It's about time Yoon Se Ah was a female lead!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, africandramalover said:

That kiss was fire

Yeah..the kiss sure was hot. I also agree it's sad there is nothing more to the love triangle than her one sided pining, because the reason for their breakup is to strong to prevent anything more happeninh. It's very easy for Ma Dong Chan to let her go because what she did was horrible. So for me that means, there is no room for her character anymore, and she now feels like an unwanted extra. Hmmm.. may be if her reasons were a little less selfish...like someone threatened her family. But now I don't even know why that character is still relevant. So I also agree it's really not up to Yoon Se Ah's level.

But yeah... I enjoyed the kiss.

• Like 2

When I started watching Melting Me Softly 20 of these pages ago, immediately I loved its comedy, funny one-liners, and its current and timely satire, (and even the farcical and sight gag bits), the pacing, plus the major draw, Ji Chang Wook. Although he can be a very funny guy it is also evident that he is a serious artist and performer who chooses works which express his open and positive nature. I see that he likes works he feels are representative of what living “a thoughtful life” must be all about, both in music and dramas and movies. Sometimes those choices don’t resonate with the viewing public at large, which is too bad for the viewing public.

The story is a satire, a light, humorous, and good-natured satire about the effects and the ravages that the passage of time can take on a person’s character, especially when the person’s character was not too healthy to begin with. Our hero and heroine are the “normal” foils; they provide the counter-point to the childlike adults (Ma Dong Chan’s brother and sister and the goofy girlfriends), or the underhanded and cowardly characters, or the just-plain-deluded souls. Ma Dong Chan and Go Mi Ran grow and learn and show integrity and honesty and are people I can identify with. Isn’t that the purpose of a satire? To laugh at and negate the evil or bad or negligible by contrasting that with the good, the positive, the healthy human beings?

I would say, given the fact that the drama is only half over, that that is the theme. How the creative writer intertwines the people in the story to illustrate the theme is that writer’s value choice, and becomes the plot-theme, which, as I see it, follows what happens when good intentions go bad (really bad in this case) and everyone has to deal with unintended consequences regarding time and aging, not to mention the medical complications of "overheating."

When I went into the story with that theme in mind as the intention of the writer, all the other actions and activity fell into place and made sense.

But everyone is saying the writing is bad, the directing is bad, and saying it consistently. Unfortunately, they never specifically define exactly what is bad, how it is bad, and how it could be better. There are no objective reasons given why the writing/directing is bad. People are saying how they feel, but those are not facts. This is something I would like to hear, because I liked all of this story, and I am not a stupid or uneducated person. The closest thing I read with any objectivity is @cherkell:"The absurd outweighs the sublime."

She contrasts what is a satirical comedy of the absurd, with what could have been written as an all-encompassing love story….the sublime.

If you know the story is a satirical take on what time can do to us all, then the absurd and humorous premise becomes valid. It could equally have been written as a sublime dramatic love story without the broader satire, but that is not the direction the writer took.  

And, just to toot my own horn…..in my comment about 18 pages ago I offered as an *outrageous plot* comparison, a look back at an old, old Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis movie called Some Like it Hot. Imagine my surprise when I got to Episode 4 and it’s title is: Some Like it Cold! Huh?.....Huh?   Yeah!   Boom!

I stand with the few others here who really, unequivocally like the Melting Me story.  And I can tell you why, give you reasons, not just feelings.  Plus, I may be the only person in the world who LOVED Bachelor's Vegetable Store for the same reasons.   Every. Single. Scene.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Excited this week because can the see progress our couple:wub:

• Like 3

I'm enjoying the drama so far, the story could be a bit better but I still like it. What I'm not enjoying is HY.

giphy.gif

Girl, he doesn't want you anymore! Take a hint, move on with your life! You did it for 20 years, continue doing so! I hate the jealous ex plots! Leave my OTP be!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

@scarletlover1 I'm also enjoying the drama as well. It's simple and doesn't need my brain to function lol. But yeah, that ex-girlfriend trope is overdue:unamused:. If only we could package your gift and send it to HY:weary::glasses::mrgreen:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

In coma!!

OH my OTP :wub::wub:

Spoiler

j3p9YGF.png

Fall in love with  scene color tone

Spoiler

SzwUpkr.png

0Ua4pmJ.png 

HYwvox3.png

10NcvA7.png

:lol::wub:

NDyczA6.png

Spoiler

6eNzuNE.png

Sunbae!

Spoiler

4ZfWZvd.jpg

9N7CXSa.jpg

Spoiler

gcnsKsG.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Overall, , I have a lot of love for the leads. I agree with the comments, it's one I can shut my brain off and just watch. It's not a perfect plot, but I'm enjoying it. I just wish the ex girlfriend role was snipped or altered in some way.   I can't tell if it's the script or the actress (in this part specifically), either way I find myself cringing whenever she appears.  I just hope the writer doesn't make the her crazy with jealously and take over the story line, we're only half way through and I don't see her going anywhere any time soon. 

• Like 13

Translation of the preview

DC: You didn’t do anything wrong. As befitting Go Mi Ran, just continue on confidently. That’s all.
DC: You’re pretty. So, don’t smile like that.
DC: Ya! Ya! Ya! Go Mi Ran!
MR: Come inside.
DC: No. No.
DC: That guy smiling next to Go Mi Ran, do you know who he is?
HG: He’s an intern on your team.
DC: From now on, let’s not look at the past, and just live our lives more happily from now on.
HY: If I had stopped you from participating in that experiment until the very end, what would have become of us now?
DC: I have no place left to go. (means similar to "I have no options left to try.") Let’s just continue like this as we are.

It looks as if DC is going to yet again try to finish it cleanly with HY. I can understand why she wants to hold on, but she's been rejected so many times by DC now. If anything, it should have been DC holding onto HY, since it hasn't been that long subjectively for him since they were dating, so that's why DC's perception of HY's betrayal is important so that he could let his feelings for her go. However, now that he's done so, HY is the one who wants to hold onto him. I suppose that DC returned as handsome and as dynamic as she remembered him probably causes her to want to hold onto him more as well.

Also, from the preview, it seems that DC is finally going to give in to his feelings for MR. It's interesting to think that DC realizes that he has developed feelings for MR, and that he is aware that MR has developed feelings for himself as well, but for various reasons of safety, DC doesn't think that they can afford to be in love. I think it's to do with the fact that falling in love causes the heart to race and that can elevate body temperature. But also that there is still an element of danger associated with that experiment, and DC is trying not to get MR involved. However, now that the cat is out of that bag, DC has pledged himself to protecting MR. So, it seems that he is going to stop resisting their impulses towards each other, and may decide to embrace it instead.

In general, the more that this drama focuses on the OTP, the better I tend to like it even though the other characters are doing a good job. Rather, it's more the pacing of this drama still seems off to me. The long, lingering shots on emotional moments has such a different feel to them than the broadness of the comedic beats. Oh well, it's not as if I won't continue to watch, or that I don't still love DC even if he is not my favorite of JCW's roles.

However, there is plenty of story still left, so hopefully the switches between drama and comedy will become more fluid rather than jarring. Plus, if the OTP do get together in the next episode, I'm all for that so that they can work together to figuring things out.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 26 October Episode 9 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea: 1.16% National (-1.25%); Unavailable (Seoul) *will edit when available*

TNMS: 1.2% (-1.2%) (19th out of 20)

The premieres of several new variety shows, and the Korean broadcast of the U.S. World Series Game 3, almost kicked MMS out of the Top 20 pay-cable results.  But there was a signficant drop in television viewership overall, as the normally-hugely rated KBS2 weekend drama could barely scrape together a 13.2% for their Saturday broadcast (usually ratings are in the high 20s/low 30s).  Either there is a problem with the ratings collection process, or no one is in front of their TVs on Saturday nights.  But it's not looking good for MMS right now.

There was an article on OSEN yesterday where the production company said they have taken the audience comments to heart, and will be retooling certain storylines, beefing up the romance and mystery, starting with Episode 9 (notice the absence of Dong Ju?).  Guess the public didn't get the memo. :tears:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Whether they retooling the storyline or not, it doesn't matter to me.

Tbh, I am still planning to fast forward any scene with ex-girlfriend, ex-boyfriend, son of ex-boyfriend and any scene at the university unless they are relevant for my viewing and understanding of the plot. 

• Like 2

Just 3 words...

I LOVED IT.

I loved ep.9 enough to watch it twice, once without subs and later with subs

That according to me is a good sign that I am enjoying it and that's enough for me.

Now waiting for ep.10.

There has been significant improvement in OTP interactions, more screen time for them and also plot is also moving forward...

Have a good time watching ep.10 guys...

• Like 4
  • Love 2