[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, tinymel said:

the only reason why he wants to do it is because it has never been done before and the only reason she wants to do it is a vague desire to cure her brother (which one feels like a gimmick to her give her depth and two, I'm really bothered by for some reason--love him the way he is?).

She does love him the way he is.  The problem she faces is that the cruel world doesn’t.   It is apparent that he is subject to bullies which he has no clue how to handle given his disability.  His backpack was tied to a lamp post and he didn’t know that he could just take it off and go home without it.  He is helpless prey fodder for cruel classmates.  :tears:  It breaks her heart to see him defenseless.  She can’t protect him all the time.  So for her to say yes to the cryogenic experiment not just for her sake but for his (so he can experience a better world environment) speaks volumes about her character.  I think that’s one of the reasons I put up with the slapstick in her character.  There’s underlying warmth and authenticity because of her backstory with her brother.

1 hour ago, liltash85 said:

Healer and the K2 is his masterpiece and these 2 dramas pace is never boring or slow. Healer got me hooked as early as episode 2. 

It seems that this first 2 episodes is like an introduction to the characters and I seriously hope this pace will pick up next week onwards before KNetz really gets bored. 

Like you, I enjoyed watching K2 from the beginning. I know there were lots of flakes about it but I was highly entertained while watching it. But it's one I won't re-watch. As for Healer, I was bored at the beginning. I picked it up like at Ep 10 then went back to watch it from the beginning. Even then, I disliked all the flashbacks. But...it's one with re-watch value. Haha. 

I quite like what I've seen in MMS. I hope it'll turn out more warm than slapstick. The ratings have picked up and hopefully continues on an upward trend. It's quite interesting for me so far. I've dropped Kdramas for Cdramas but this one piques my interest, most probably because it's JCW. :D But at least I'm not disheartened after watching the 1st episode. Going to catch 2nd episode soon. 

14 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

Like you, I enjoyed watching K2 from the beginning. I know there were lots of flakes about it but I was highly entertained while watching it. But it's one I won't re-watch. As for Healer, I was bored at the beginning. I picked it up like at Ep 10 then went back to watch it from the beginning. Even then, I disliked all the flashbacks. But...it's one with re-watch value. Haha. 

I quite like what I've seen in MMS. I hope it'll turn out more warm than slapstick. The ratings have picked up and hopefully continues on an upward trend. It's quite interesting for me so far. I've dropped Kdramas for Cdramas but this one piques my interest, most probably because it's JCW. :D But at least I'm not disheartened after watching the 1st episode. Going to catch 2nd episode soon. 

Different ppl has diff taste i guess. I watch Healer 5-6th time the whole series and never get bored. Not even for 5 minutes. I become JCW mania because of Healer so this drama has a special place in my heart. :blush:

To me the slapstick comedy need to be reduce and more focus a more simple comedy approach (for example in script) and explain the storyline more. Less is always better. 

Okay, I have finished ep 2 and what's the verdict? I love it. I will definitely be continuing with this show. I like the 1999 retro feels and that's why I was good with all the flashbacks. In fact, I enjoyed watching them and was surprisingly touched by the back stories. The treatment was well done, at least for me. I felt the sense of loss and bewilderment from the families.

I remember the writer is the same for SWDBS. I enjoyed the show cos of the OTP but other than that, the slapstick was excessive. So hopefully, this one takes on a different vein. I see a bit of that slapstick in the choatic hospital scene at the end but it's not too bad right now.  So I'm still good with the humor, it's not overly OTT.  If they keep to this balance, this drama could do well. 

8 hours ago, thistle said:

I'm in the middle of watching episode 2 and decided to stop for a moment to say how much I loved the way they used a classic old song for background music.  One of my favorite songs ever.  It was written and performed by a man who died tragically and way too early:  Jim Croce.  

This is an oddly perfect song for Melting in more ways than one since our leads are essentially spending their time in a sort of bottle.

I love the music choice so far! I was so amused by their use of Celine's Dion at the hospital scene. I thought it conveyed the sense of awe and disbelief so aptly. :joy:

Finally got the time this to watch the first episode and I must say I can't wait to see where the story goes! I love the late nineties feel too. The ratings also went up between the first and second episode and I can't wait for it to go even higher. 

JCW suits the role of a PD and I love WJA's portrayal of GMR with her wittiness and also her sensitivity concerning her little brother.

Am reading all the comments so far about the premiere episodes and I think the sentiments are somewhat similar -- there is that tad bit of disappointment at how the scenes have been shot and edited so far, making it come across (if I might bluntly put it) as potentially cheap and crass storytelling. I know many of us are here for JCW and given that this is his comeback drama after MS, we've got lots of expectations. We've seen him in many productions and his acting has always been top notch. And the cast for this production is not new or young. There are many well-known and very experienced veteran actors in this production, so we're expecting good acting. And truly, there's nothing wrong with the acting at all! But the scene edits... :wacko: I have found the story telling so far choppy and not particularly attention grabbing (I could multitask without having lost much information at all), and scenes spliced and put together in a patchy sequence that seems to hop about. And as many of you have pointed out, so much slapstick (a la Jim Carrey style which I really dislike) that it hides the talent of the cast. I sincerely hope this changes soon. This cannot be JCW's comeback, especially when he's done so much good work in the action/serious drama genre so far... :mellow:

5 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

And as many of you have pointed out, so much slapstick (a la Jim Carrey style which I really dislike) that it hides the talent of the cast. I sincerely hope this changes soon. This cannot be JCW's comeback, especially when he's done so much good work in the action/serious drama genre so far..

I know...he shines in those moments of melodrama.  When his eyes speak.  Which is why that moment when he was trying to talk MR into the experiment in Ep1 was a “HALLELUJAH.  He’s back!!!” Moment for me.  He stopped mid speech when he realized what he was asking of her.  He saw her pain, he noted that he had touched a raw nerve, he said nothing but his eyes spoke for him...and I melted (pun intended) :lol:.  This is the JCW of old that I remember and what I was waiting to see.  I can cope with some comedy eg Suspicious Partner had some of that but it also had a lot of segments where he was allowed to express the breadth of emotions he is so good at?  So far those moments of expressive JCW (and WJA) have been few and far between.  Sigh.  I want so desperately for him to showcase his talent for expressiveness but thus far it’s been buried in slapstick.  :mellow:

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

She does love him the way he is.  The problem she faces is that the cruel world doesn’t.   It is apparent that he is subject to bullies which he has no clue how to handle given his disability.  His backpack was tied to a lamp post and he didn’t know that he could just take it off and go home without it.  He is helpless prey fodder for cruel classmates.  :tears:  It breaks her heart to see him defenseless.  She can’t protect him all the time.  So for her to say yes to the cryogenic experiment not just for her sake but for his (so he can experience a better world environment) speaks volumes about her character.  I think that’s one of the reasons I put up with the slapstick in her character.  There’s underlying warmth and authenticity because of her backstory with her brother.

I 100% agree with your whole post. Of all the characters, GMR is a truly loving sister—like you said it makes up for her slapstick scenes. 

My point is that I am afraid the writer might just be using her brother as a motivation but in the future that motivation—not her love—will disappear. GMR will always be a devoted sister.

So she wants the world to be a better place but that never comes up again. Her truly noble reasons for doing the experiment will disappear— compare to IANAR where the desire to cure the ML is a motivation to send the FL back even despite the risk. That story is carried through. I do not trust the MMS writer to do that now. 

i know this is dramaworld where things sort of just happen, but I felt that if they were going to build this incredible sibling relationship she should at least feel a little worried or concerned about *not* coming out ok. It is a huge risk. And after so much protesting she changes her mind too quickly. It is a writing error not a critique of her love. 

Hope that clears that up! Xx

I'm enjoying it and was laughing a lot in ep 2, but at the same time...I hope it's not this slapstick all the way through. It's hard to really take root if it's JUST slapstick. JCW has a wide range in his acting abilities, and WJA blew me away in the very serious Just Between Lovers. So I know they have it in them, if the script allows for it. Will keep watching. 

just done with Ep 2 and OMG it is hilarious. The comedy part is less slapstick. The comical relief more on the script and the acting. I see some hope in episode 2. The pace also starts picking up and the flashback also less draggy. 

in my opinion, Episode 2 should be the premiere episode. Only 15 minutes of episode 1 is needed to tell why all this frozen project started. The real deal lies at episode 2. 

I hope they will keep this pacing and momentum and the story becomes better. 

I am wondering how Ma Dong Chang suddenly becomes poor (because it is hard for chaebol to be poor) and Mi Ran family suddenly becomes rich. They even move out to a bigger house (it is a bit unlogical considering they are still grieving of loosing their daughter but they move out from the familiar place). 

I really want to know what happen. 

7 hours ago, Mizzy said:

I love the music choice so far! I was so amused by their use of Celine's Dion at the hospital scene. I thought it conveyed the sense of awe and disbelief so aptly. :joy:

Thank you for identifying it  I was racking my brain trying to remember who did that song.   Now I feel kinda silly for not remembering. :blink: :lol:

15 minutes ago, thistle said:

Thank you for identifying it  I was racking my brain trying to remember who did that song.   Now I feel kinda silly for not remembering. :blink: :lol:

looks like only the Viki version has all this English song. The asian/korean version has Korean OST as bgm. 

58 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

looks like only the Viki version has all this English song. The asian/korean version has Korean OST as bgm. 

In which case, I think I've gotten it wrong--it can't be Celine because  I saw the Korean version and the bgm was music only.  I'm awful at recognizing tunes but I knew the one that I heard was really familiar and from the 90's.  Guess I'm gonna have to go re-watch that part.

Regarding the reason she agrees to signs up... Every one here seems to be fixated on her vague desire to cure her brother.... But I think there is more to it. 

Yes, she considers it for a moment, but the immediate cause that prompts her to join is the break up I think. I am not saying she didn't consider the cure factor. But don't forget she experienced a breakup and might have thought. "What the hell, I am so depressed now. Participating in the project will take my attention away from this depressing mood. There is risk, but the PD himself is doing It anyways and there is good money in it too"

Also I don't think she is literally hoping to cure her brother. She might be thinking on the lines, "if development of biotechnology can correct defects in babies in future and help prevent sufferings of other kids, then I will consider contributing what little I can do for the cause."

This is my analysis. It's what I will think if I were Go Mi Ran. What do you guys think?

Archived