[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two cents...

In regards to DC falling for MR, I honestly think he was intrigued by her in the past. He was a loose cannon and ran his ship by the seat of his pants and wasn't afraid to take risks, which consequently was the reason why he ended up being frozen for 20 years. However, MR was the same way. She lived her life fearlessly which is why she could stand up to her brother's bullies, or beat up her cheating boyfriend and move on. When she participated in the show where she had to fly into the water, and even when DC and his assistant tracked her down at the pond when she was beating up her boyfriend, he just seemed very intrigued with her. So, it isn't far-fetched at all that he would fall for her after what they've been through together. It is quite tragic to lose 20 years of life and then reappear and see how much life has passed you by. These two are able to handle it as well as they have because of their budding friendship with one another.

My problem with HY is while she may still have feelings for DC, it seems like she is treating him like property. She feels entitled to him now. As if all of these years, she has actually been waiting on him to reappear. No way I could watch the love of my life disappear, have some idea what may have happened and agree to cover it up for a job. The fact that she fully expects him to just forgive her and the two of them can pick up where they left off is just on another level of selfish. They didn't match 20 years ago, and they don't match now. She needs to accept and move on. Her revealing MR's identity as the other frozen human shows how desperate and pathetic she is. It's just like the shaman said, DC is MR's fate, her soul mate. HY is going to have to get on board and find a way to move on with her life. I also feel like her getting back together with DC is some type of absolution for her. If he gets with her again, it will somehow erase the fact that she tried to cover it up and all of her guilt about it will go away.

Ahh! I'm a diehard fan of Ji Chang Wook and I think Ep 10 just took a turning point to get the drama to a better direction!  I have been hitting the repeat button on the shower kiss multiple time at work is a bit dangerous now.    I hope the storyline and more romance will blossom from here on!

On 10/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, blademan said:

Underrated scene from tonight...he just wants to do normal things with the girl he likes :tears:

THANK YOU FOR this translation of that scene! It sounds so much better and more romantic than the current translation I first heard with "sleep rolled up together"! 

Along with it... I don't mind rolling on the WALL and under a shower head! KEKEKE

9 hours ago, msbaglover said:

It is not only the script or the directing that makes people watch the drama. Sometimes it is OTP's visual that made them watched until the end. I am not saying WJA is not pretty, it's just that it is hard to look beautiful on screen with the male lead is as handsome as JCW. I have read comments such as JCW looks more beautiful that WJA and maybe aside from the lack of coherence in the way the script is made, comments like this makes people stop watching the drama.

There are Won JinAh fans too in this thread. Please refrain this kind of comments and respect them too. Whether it’s your opinion or not i think to comment about her looks is insensitive. 

Let’s just focus to discuss about the drama here. 

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I actually think that is one of the beauties of JCW’s acting. I thought he conveyed that DC was increasingly aware and then attracted to MR, even though DC thinks they shouldn’t be attracted to each other because of the dangers, both physically with their symptoms causing temperature rises, but also with the situation with the thugs. It wasn’t in the dialogue until the more recent episodes, rather it was in the way DC started looking at MR as well as looking for MR. The initial concern that DC feels over MR as a subject of the experiment that he recruited gave way to include a grudging admiration at MR’s guts and bravado. By the time they were kidnapped by the thugs and put into the refrigerated truck, DC was clearly looking at MR in a dofferent light. And then, of course, MR collapses shortly after, changing DC’s initial plans to go along with the station’s coverup.

From there, DC proceeds to skinship, ostensibly to check MR’s temperature, but he becomes more and more comfortable with that skinship. And frankly, the moment when I thought DC had rather totally fallen for MR was when he grabs MR’s water bottle and drinks from it before he returns the bottle to her. That is a level of itimacy that indicates the intimcay that he has started to feel towards MR, even though DC was still suppressing it. By the time they swap their ice cones, though, it’s now clear that they are both aware and comfortable with that level if intimacy.

Last week’s episodes had more push-pull in their attraction for each other as they grew aware of their attraction, which this week’s episodes became more blatant about. IMHO anyway.

Btw, on a change of topic, I totally think that HY was the one who leaked MR’s identity as the second subject of the experiment. She was so upset to see DC and MR together near the episode end, just before the news breaks. Even though, she’ll continue to act as if she’s working with DC for his sake, I think her jealousy has her deciding to cause more problems for MR. She may not understand that won’t pull DC away from MR, but a woman scorned and all that, as she seems to feel herself to be.

Couldn’t agree more. JCW knows how to emote those subtles feelings in his acting. Just like in K2 when some people comment Je Ha fell in love with Anna so suddenly but it’s actually not the case. Jeha starts from feeling sympathy for her and eventually turns to love but JCW potrays those in a subtle way. 

Same case here. We can notice DC actually already amazed with Mr boldness and brave attitude since 20 years ago. And with them waking up 20 years alter with changes with their surrounding and low body temperature, they understand each other better and need to rely on one another. 

This things that makes them gets closer everyday and slowly turns their friendship into love. 

9 hours ago, perszepanni said:

I love this drama. She will be frozen again until December 21, 2021. The story is good. (Unfortunately, with too many actors sometimes they can't get things started, with little to no 16) JCW brings everything you need to do. I also really like the side characters. Turns are still awaiting us. MDC had already fallen for her before freezing, even though he was unaware.

The girl is cute, the chemistry is slowly but developing.

What is a Flirt? What MDC does in 7 parts. "You are Playboy."

I love the drama, fight !!!

Hang on, she will be frozen again?

I thought the voice over at the start of ep10 is just her interview in Dec 21 2021 on whether she regretted taking part in the experiment

3 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Hang on, she will be frozen again?

I thought the voice over at the start of ep10 is just her interview in Dec 21 2021 on whether she regretted taking part in the experiment

not sure if she will be frozen again or not. but there is some interview happening in 2021. My take is, by this time they have found the cure to reverse back their low body temperature and maybe they will be interview as the 'first 'frozen human' projects; how do they survive the odds'

8 hours ago, luckionesky said:

Ahh! I'm a diehard fan of Ji Chang Wook and I think Ep 10 just took a turning point to get the drama to a better direction!  I have been hitting the repeat button on the shower kiss multiple time at work is a bit dangerous now.    I hope the storyline and more romance will blossom from here on!

Along with it... I don't mind rolling on the WALL and under a shower head! KEKEKE

the real script does sounds like that (at least that's what I can take with my limited korean vocabs). But like many of us here said here, it indirectly means he wants to live a normal life. He is begging to the professor to help them because he can't do simple things such as 'rolling in bed' with the one he loves because of their body temperature limitation to which it will be very frustrating to him. 

Just finished watch episode 10 with subtitles. Really, really enjoyed it! Got lots of questions though. Is the ex-brother-in-law really an insider spy? What are DC's plans for the  MR's first lover? Why did the professor take chances on exposing himself to the bad guys?

I don't know if I agree that NHY exposed MR on social media? Could it be MR first lover or her girlfriend who is married to MR's first lover?

JCW's pleading to the professor to help cure MR and himself was great emotional acting. I was near tears just feeling his emotions. Then the kissing scenes...WOW! Our JCW never disappoints the viewers in the romance department!! Some fans teased that WJA might have to measure up to JCW in kissing scenes. She had no problems matching his open mouthed kisses!! GREAT JOB!! Looking forward to more...writers and director...take advantage of JCW's natural talents!

Of course our JCW oppa can nail kissing scenes and will always guide his female counter part (coz more often than not, his female counter part has less experience in this field except PMY n HJW). And WJA knows how to follow the leads. He keeps holding her small face to keep her less awkward i guess. 

I think our initial worry that WJA cannot do kiss scenes are answered. She can!!! With great guidance of course! :lol:

Looks like the shower kiss was the one saving grace of this drama! :lol: Yes! You can trust JCW to deliver a beautiful and knee-weakening kiss with any of his leading ladies. I've read some comments here and there about how JCW and WJA's chemistry is absent and the romance isn't convincing, but I've always found that JCW leads his leading lady very well. In the K2, I too felt the female lead was somewhat lukewarm in character, but JCW was so convincing in how his character loved her. Likewise here. Poor script-writing, directing and editing aside, you've got to admit JCW is quite convincing in how Ma Dong Chan is at least physically very attracted to GMR. 

Have they finally got the pace and storytelling right, though a little too late?

I agree with @aznchic209that the tone should have been similar to that of episodes 9 and 10. In fact, the pacing should have been like in these latest episodes as well. I don't think that those who've said they've disliked the way the show is progressing so far have not given reasons for them. Granted, not all of us are movie/film critics, but I do think most of us have had consensus on the same few issues in this drama: 

• The pace of the drama - for a standard 16-part drama, the writers have put in so many questions that need to be tied up, but at episode 10, we're still left with too many questions unanswered and perhaps too little time to develop them (and answer the questions) to a fair level of satisfaction. 
    • There are 4 people in the cryogenics pods. We only know the character of one of them. What about the other 3?
    • Now that the villain, Lee Seok Du, is connected to the broadcasting station (through his sponsorship and keen interest in MDC and GMR), how will the impending danger our 2 leads are in be played out and resolved in the remaining 6 episodes? And why's he such a villain anyway? I'm not sure they've painted a sufficient picture of why no one knew that Lee Seok Du had a twin? 
    • Ha Nayoung doesn't seem all too innocent as we know it. She says she joined the news desk because she wanted to investigate on her own what had happened to MDC in the last 20 years, but she came up against walls each time she uncovered something. So, what has she uncovered?
    • Nayoung's relationship with and feelings for Dongchan also seem far from being resolved. I too am certain she was the one who put the info out there about Miran being part of the cryo experiment too. So what happens when that's actually uncovered? Will she go all out in her anger to destroy Miran (by accepting an unholy proposition from the fake Lee Seok Du? And how will that destroy her relationship with Dongchan?
    • Is the station president just a tweedledum character or has he been hiding more information that he's been letting on, seeing as that he has political ambitions? Afterall, he's offering HNY an opportunity to become president in his stead. What's he actually able to offer her and how much power does he actually wield?
    • MDC's family and his policeman ex-brother-in-law -- how deep is the police in the pockets of villain dude? Why are they not investigating the death of Lee Seok Du's wife? And where did MDC's sister disappear to?
    • And the love rivalry between Byung Shim and his own son - how's that going to be resolved? Together with that tension between Young Sun and Miran. 
    • Then there's also Prof Hwang who suddenly from being the village fool very quickly regained his memories with no apparent actual trigger - maybe the haircutting did the trick (and did they cut his hair cos many people were starting to get annoyed with it?). In any case, what's he being threatened with and why is he suddenly so eager to get rid of Dr Jo and the 4 cryogenic people? From giving Dr Jo the manuals with the defrosting formula, to suddenly wanting to shut down the entire experiment, that's quite a swing in moods.
    • if the starting scene of Ep 10 does in fact suggest that Miran returns to the cyrogenics pod only to be released from it a second time in 2021, where are they going to find the time to insert that in and defrost her with good purpose? I can see that as a possibility because perhaps both she and Dongchan were getting too dangerously close to death again and that was the "safest" place for them to be in until Prof Hwang can return them back to a normal body temperature, but that's quite a bit to process plot-wise in 6 more episodes. 
  • Too much overacting in place of intelligent comedy. For this reason, I don't find Stephen Chow or Jim Carrey movies funny or remotely interesting. I am not a fan of slapstick, preferring intelligent comedic moments that serve to further plots. There are many of these scenes where "comedy" was slapstick overacting and the removal of the scenes would have done nothing to hamper the plot, just as their inclusion did nothing to further it either. I'm quite certain if someone bothered to review and edit out those scenes, our story would have progressed well still and put in its place a good 2 or 3 more episodes for plot development instead. 

There is nothing wrong with the storyline and themes of time, medical ethics and philosophy of age. It's just been clumsily presented with the overall production quality improving at a very late point in the show. Would I rather the show continue badly for the remaining 6 episodes? Of course not. But it remains a pity that JCW had to suffer through 8 badly written episodes before it only begins to get better because the team is responding to viewer remarks. And this means suffering through a lot more fire-fighting filming as the show works towards wrap up in 3 more weeks. 

When did Dongchan fall in love with Miran?

I guess some are asking this because in part of the way the drama has progressed and been paced thus far. It's hard to see how the relationship has progressed because insufficient time was given over to showing how their interactions have actually changed, apart from our own intelligent guesses. And so again, when the editing is bad, viewers fill in their own gaps. What I would say (my POV) is this -- I don't think I am convinced Dongchan is "in love with" Miran yet. He is definitely attracted to her. How he looks at her in that hot kiss scene is just that -- lust. Nothing wrong with that. He's certainly intrigued by her but I think she's the one more invested in an emotional relationship with him. She looks at him differently. He has taken care of her, saved her a couple of times, given her the potential for employment... She has more to be grateful for. He on the other hand might be suffering from a Florence Nightingale effect. Suddenly, he wakes up to find Nayoung had seemingly moved on without him and doesn't need him anymore. He's really old school and needs to "save the girl". 

All said, rainshower kiss yo....

18 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

Of course our JCW oppa can nail kissing scenes and will always guide his female counter part (coz more often than not, his female counter part has less experience in this field except PMY n HJW). And WJA knows how to follow the leads. He keeps holding her small face to keep her less awkward i guess. 

I think our initial worry that WJA cannot do kiss scenes are answered. She can!!! With great guidance of course! :lol:

I agree!! I think WJA did very well in the kissing scenes! It wasn’t awkward at all and I the kiss looked so romantic! I hope to see more in the next episodes.  I couldn’t concentrate at work out of my excitement for the weekend hahahah

14 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

When did Dongchan fall in love with Miran?

I guess some are asking this because in part of the way the drama has progressed and been paced thus far. It's hard to see how the relationship has progressed because insufficient time was given over to showing how their interactions have actually changed, apart from our own intelligent guesses. And so again, when the editing is bad, viewers fill in their own gaps. What I would say (my POV) is this -- I don't think I am convinced Dongchan is "in love with" Miran yet. He is definitely attracted to her. How he looks at her in that hot kiss scene is just that -- lust. Nothing wrong with that. He's certainly intrigued by her but I think she's the one more invested in an emotional relationship with him. She looks at him differently. He has taken care of her, saved her a couple of times, given her the potential for employment... She has more to be grateful for. He on the other hand might be suffering from a Florence Nightingale effect. Suddenly, he wakes up to find Nayoung had seemingly moved on without him and doesn't need him anymore. He's really old school and needs to "save the girl". 

All said, rainshower kiss yo....

I have to disagree that the way Dong Chan looks at Miran is lust. I think in episode 9-10 we get to see that he indeed has fallen for her. (like he said in the beginning of ep 9, that if Miran keeps acting up, he might falling for her). I think by this time, he already fell for her but trying to deny it. Hence, he is brave enough to end things with Ha Kyung because he certainly didn't feel anything for her. It's not because of betrayal but because he had the change of heart. 

Then we can slowly see how Dong Chang starts being jealous, how he keeps looking at/for Miran, how he is always on his side, backing her up, how he didn't like it when Miran ignore him while discussing with the colleagues, how he is worried for her when she falls sick, so on and so forth. All this is an act of love or a man in love. 

When he pleads the professor to heal them from their low temperature body so that he/they can live like normal people, loving without worry, he did for both of them, he did that because he is in love. He feels more desperate to be heal now than before as he knows it is hard to keep their temperature low when they are in love. HEnce, when the prof seems like cannot help him, he goes back to Miran and just bulldoze and kiss her (though he initially want to meet NHY in Seoul). He is taking the risk. He has nothing to loose as he has lost a lot anyway. So he did not want to miss the chance to be with the one his love just because of their body temperature barrier. 

I didn't want to admit it but the writing of this drama is quite honestly, in the pits. I don't understand why DC suddenly falls out of love with HY. I know the reason but the way it's been portrayed, I'm now feeling he's the heartless jerk for telling her that his heart doesn't flutter for her and he doesn't love her.

And since when is he so deeply in love with MR, he's tearfully begging the professor to save them so they can roll around and sleep together? I mean, it's incredulous. I can see his interest in her but I don't see the depth of his love. 

The biggest problem I have with this show is how they try to deal with human emotions and yet makes all the interactions so superficial. I suspect it's got to do with how they'd initially wanted to make this a comedy and then change course midway to invest more in the love story. It's now neither here nor there. 

6 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

I didn't want to admit it but the writing of this drama is quite honestly, in the pits. I don't understand why DC suddenly falls out of love with HY. I know the reason but the way it's been portrayed, I'm now feeling he's the heartless jerk for telling her that his heart doesn't flutter for her and he doesn't love her.

And since when is he so deeply in love with MR, he's tearfully begging the professor to save them so they can roll around and sleep together? I mean, it's incredulous. I can see his interest in her but I don't see the depth of his love. 

The biggest problem I have with this show is how they try to deal with human emotions and yet makes all the interactions so superficial. I suspect it's got to do with how they'd initially wanted to make this a comedy and then change course midway to invest more in the love story. It's now neither here nor there. 

I admit the writing is poor and many things aren't explain well. But I totally can understand how DC can feel out of love for HY. I can list a few that I can dig and I can explain based on how JCW portraying DC. 

i) He only told her about the project and not even his family means he trust her 100% and in a way telling her 'if something did go south, you should do something'. Well, that's the reason you tell someone if you want to do some risky stuffs isn't it?

ii) She chose to betray their relationship but keeping it quiet for 20 years and in exchange gets a good job and become the popular newscaster. She did not even think to find him on her own (if lodged a police report might be exposing the truth, the least she can do is find him in her own way. But she didn't).

iii) The impact of that betrayal, is not only affect their relationship (tho NHY can said she remain unmarried as she waited for him for 20 years) but the bigger effect is on his family. Because of her keeping quiet, his dad died because of stroke. His family became poor and his younger siblings struggles to make ends meet. If only she has the guts to tell his family, at least they can have a little bit of hope. His father might still be alive. His family will not go poor and his dongsaengs would have a happier life. Like Dong Ju said, it is unfair for them as they don't have hope to move on so they live out of despair. 

iv) It may sounds unlogical to have a changed of heart in a day (coz practically this 20 years seems like yesterday for him). But let's not forget the NHY he knew yesterday is a very different person now. She is no longer the naive host he knew for his variety show. She is now a uptight News Bureau Chief. I think that makes him confused and it is hard for him to love the 'new' NHY eventhough how much he tried. (Let's imagine suddenly you wake up today and your spouse now is a corrupt politician/superbusy businessman and no longer the family man you knew him yesterday. He must be sounds like a stranger to you, And can you love him as he was before?). That's the dilemma DC is facing. NHY is like a stranger to him now. 

As for his feelings for Mi Ran, it is already there for sometimes but he tried to hide/deny it. Just that in these 2 episodes he decided to let it go/shown. Some has put some photos it started as early as episode 5 when he look at her lovingly when she is amazed with the new gadget. Like he said in the resting room. 'There is no where he can hide now, he will always be next to her'. It translate to 'I won't hide it anymore. Just forget about than 50cm barrier. I'm gonna be by your side.' 

Maybe I know JCW style of acting too well, I can read all his subtle emotions clearly. 

@liltash85Yes, he does look out for Miran, and he does get jealous, but that to me isn't quite enough to say he's "in love" yet. Like @Mizzy, I too question why he is suddenly in tears asking to be able to "sleep together" with Miran. I too "don't see the depth". If there had been more attempts to be close to her but being kept apart cos of the temperature issue, a building frustration because of that, then it would be more believable that he's "in love". This actually could have been easily achieved by the script writers. For example, they could have made it more difficult for MDC to care for GMR when she was having her fever, or simply unable to touch her to take her temperature, or for there to be visible or audible signs of temperatures rising just sending her home while in his car. None of these potentials were explored. It suddenly became so easy to love her so deeply, all this pointing to again, poor pacing and script writing. I feel they're "hurrying things along" because they realise they're out of time developing the love-line between the leads. 

All that said, it's not like MDC is just looking at GMR with sexual interest and nothing else. Not at all. For sure he cares for her. But it's not love. It's a platonic care that's being fueled by physical attraction. 

For those who have commented on the apparent age gap too, I can see how it's a bit jarring. If you take the philosophical slant to the discussion, you've got to admit that if Miran were indeed 44 and MDC 52, the age gap wouldn't seem so wide and they would be at a good age for a companionship-based relationship. But mentally and physically, they're 24 and 32. Miran is barely out of the university and MDC is already someone who's quite established in his career and worldly-wise. She is very much still wet behind her ears (no first kiss yet until that haphazard kiss in the rain, no first job yet until MDC offers internship) and she's taking his lead in many things. She's come out of the cryogenic capsule angry and frustrated. Her attempts to get regular part-time jobs were met with failure because of her chronological age and lack of paper experience. MDC swoops in for the rescue. For sure she's indebted to him, and being the handsome man he is, for sure she's fallen for her prince charming. And if an older, more experienced man comes in and returns the favour of attraction, she will certainly not reject him. I'm not saying MDC is a predator. No, no, no. Not at all. He could be moving towards GMR for a number of reasons - he's on the rebound from the betrayal by NHY, she's a cryogenics victim like him and he feels responsible for her predicament, she clearly likes him and is pretty (he said so himself!), she would understand his feelings more than anyone else. All very good and legit reasons for the attraction. But love... Hmm... I dun think so. Not yet. Under "normal" circumstances, the relationship might seem a bit creepy. The power discrepancy is just too great otherwise.

@gilaswan I don’t think their age gap is a problem. It’s not like MDC fell for a minor. 24 is already adult. Just that Miran has less experience in love compare to him. He fell for his innocence and the way she brought herself. She’s not typical girl. She’s crazily brave but eventually that’s charming to him. Like how he tell his niece that he somehow can tell how she will grow up. He can see a bit of Miran in his niece who definitely not like kids her age. 

2 hours ago, MissKim1982 said:

I agree!! I think WJA did very well in the kissing scenes! It wasn’t awkward at all and I the kiss looked so romantic! I hope to see more in the next episodes.  I couldn’t concentrate at work out of my excitement for the weekend hahahah

Be ready for more WET KISS SCENES. I am afraid they will head to swimming pool next. Or bath tub? :w00t: 

Or maybe just get inside a freezer. 

2 hours ago, Mizzy said:

I see this scene as very human, not necessarily to show how deep he loves MR but imagine the only saviour for all the mess in your life telling you on your face that he can't help you and you are going to die afterall. I think DC has been trying hard to live life normally and acting like the 20 years leap doesn't affect him much. His newfound relationship with MR is like a symbol to him that getting into the capsule in the beginning was the right choice. Not to mention, his guilt to MR that she can't live a full life like other young people because of him, always has to be constraint by her body temperature. His tears show his outburst of frustrations that he tried to bury all this time. 

4 minutes ago, Theleey said:

I see this scene as very human, not necessarily to show how deep he loves MR but imagine the only saviour for all the mess in your life telling you on your face that he can't help you and you are going to die afterall. I think DC has been trying hard to live life normally and acting like the 20 years leap doesn't affect him much. His newfound relationship with MR is like a symbol to him that getting into the capsule in the beginning was the right choice. Not to mention, his guilt to MR that she can't live a full life like other young people because of him, always has to be constraint by her body temperature. His tears show his outburst of frustrations that he tried to bury all this time. 

You point out a nice point here. All this while he thinks that he can adjusted with this 20 years leap and he can maintain that 31.5 deg body temperature. But when he started to develop feelings for Miran, he realized that a mere touch can be harmful to both of them. And it must be so frustrating when he learned that the prof can't do anything about it. He wanted to live normally but he can't. If we put ourselves in their shoes, anyone can be so mad and burst out because you get to know that you can just live a normal life and being normal means you can die. 

Archived