[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The plot line about the scientist is still not resonating with me, and the introduction of the corporate heavy who is trying to erase the frozen human experiment feels as if it's written in too broadly comic strokes. However, perhaps it's too early to say. It still feels as if the drama is still setting up the various characters.

Was it clear that the guy was the person funding the project? It was clear he was the one who ordered Prof to be killed. But one thing I am confused is that this guy is/was in the freezer capsule also??

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

It wasn't very clear to me either whether he was funding the  original research or not. I could see him having been in the frozen capsule as well. And as you say, though, it is clear that he was the one who wanted the prof killed and the research removed. It could be that he wanted evidence of what he had done to be erased?

Could be twins, the evil twin had taken over the corporation while the good twin (probably the investor as well) took part in the experiment.

I am not understanding how TMNS is calculating their ratings numbers these days.  According to the photos posted earlier, they're saying that Episode 4 garnered a 3.7% nationwide rating.  All the other news portals are still showing a 3.2% for Episode 4.

EGPOG1GVAAAvuNo.jpg

One good thing to learn is that the aggregate ratings are being boosted by that all-important "Women in Their 40s" viewing category, which helped with its own 5.4% ratings value for Episode 4 (last paragraph below).  Way to go, Ahjummas! :lol:

EGPOG1IU8AEL1ca.jpg

Help.

I’m trying to get into the show and I will say the storyline is interesting — I want to know what the mysteries surrounding the cryogenics project and the killing in the US were about, and I certainly want to know how they will resolve this matter of hypothermia they’re experiencing now — but the storytelling is so sloppy! If they were to reduce the amount of slapstick (very cheap humour and unnecessary overacting) and be clearer in their flow and sequencing of events, it would be so much better! The scenes don’t flow well, resulting in many knowledge gaps.

Again, I’m lamenting — how can this be JCW’s comeback?? :bawling:

Just finished Ep 4 and I like it! I didn't like the humor they tried to inject to the scenes with the professor, but otherwise, the rest are cute and funny. Am looking forward to seeing what happens between DC and HY and also MR and her classmates. One of the 2 guys  is really cute (acted by Bo-Min)!  Also want to see more of MDC's family.

The plot is warming up...LOL...and I think the actors make the show watchable. Really like WJA. I don't find her acting OTT as some are saying. 

Can't wait for next week! :lol:

19 hours ago, tinymel said:

Ep 4...

The tone is still iffy... which was hard for me in this episode. I ended up skipping around--mainly the slapstick stuff. [Deleted]

I'm finding the writing for MDC all over the place--they are trying to get his character to do too much. Not really able to say more than that... JWC pulling his scenes along through sheer force of will in some cases (but he looks like he is having a blast!).

[Deleted]

Other than tone and pacing, the real flaw of this drama is that there are too many characters. [Deleted]

Thanks for this post. Agree, agree, agree... I feel like the weak storytelling is totally squandering the talent in the cast. I find that every other character (save MDC and GMR perhaps) is just overacting, probably through poor direction because I've seen them in other productions before and that's not how they've carried their other characters before, even in comedies. There are pockets of good comedy delivered purely through good lines, but by and large, the director seems to think that the only type of humour audiences would respond to is low brow slapstick. It's very disappointing, really. I wonder how the Korean audience is taking to this as well. 

After watching episodes 3 and 4, I have some questions that I really hope get answered before the show ends.

I understand that 20 years has passed. But to me it seems that EVERYBODY that was close to them have aged horribly. I think the writers have done this on purpose. To show the consequence of how they handled things. The only people who gave a valiant effort to find them were their immediate families, although I found it strange that GMR's family told her friends that she moved to the US. Why? What did they hope to gain from this lie?

I also found the fact that MDC's father passed was indicative of how his family turned out. I noticed in the first episode that he seemed to be the only one diligently working besides the father. When they had that dinner where the brother was frantically playing the piano and the sister was singing, It was clear they were out of touch with reality. Were they even working then? I get the impression the father was hoping MDC would continue to do well as a producer to take some of the load off of him. The rest of the family was bleeding him dry as he appeared to be the only breadwinner outside of MDC. With MDC gone, I suppose it was just too much for the father to handle alone. With four able-bodied adults living together, it makes no sense they are all sharing that small apartment over the restaurant. They don't have to live in luxury, but they could be living better than that. 

As far as GMR, it is odd to me that her friends would believe that she up and left and NEVER contacted them, or came home for a holiday. That just doesn't make sense. I love her relationship with her brother and I also love that she has barely been awake a week and already she is looking to continue college and get a job. It is this quality that MDC is going to fall for. GMR is not like his siblings or even his ex. She doesn't feel that anyone owes her anything, except her lost time. She is very forward-moving and independent and that is going to appeal to MDC. I get the feeling in the past that the main reason his ex was involved with him was because he came from a comfortable family and was making a good living as a successful variety show producer. She wanted that life. I always got the feeling that she was more in love with him than he was with her. His job back then made it hard for him to really have a personal life. Since they both worked at the same network, it gave her more access to him, but given more options, whose to say MDC may not have chosen someone else.

As far as MDC's sunbaes, the station, his colleagues, I find them all repugnant. They all worked together to cover up the experiment and now coincidentally, they all have positions and titles within the company. They sold him out for their current jobs, just like his ex sold him out to become an anchor. Their silence kept MDC and GMR frozen for all of these years and I believe that the truth is going to come out. MDC is clearly excellent at variety shows. He came up with ideas for shows that are already successful that he doesn't even know about. I believe MDC and GMR will end up producing a show about what happened to them and in the process the truth of the cover up will come out. There is definitely more to this than what has already been revealed. Look at what happened to the doctor. Not only does he not remember anything, he is acting as though he is suffering brain loss.

I think I might be the only one who really enjoys this show as it is.... I find the sad scenes really heart breaking (GMR reunion with her family) and yet I still like the sudden transition from sad to humour for MDC's family. I find it a breath of fresh air from other really serious shows (currently watching A Place In The Sun).

Then again it's a ridiculous situation to get frozen and wake up 20 years later... tbh this show would be so heavy if there wasn't humour in it. I would have dropped it early if that was the case.

8 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

I found it strange that GMR's family told her friends that she moved to the US. Why? What did they hope to gain from this lie?

GMR’s family received information that she is alive and participated in an experiment. A photo of her frozen in the capsule is even sent to them. They need to lie about her whereabouts to ensure her safety and that she will come back alive. 

@Ameera Ali that is one hair-flipping gif that no one would use as DP, I think... :lol:

11 hours ago, cheezukaeku said:

I think I might be the only one who really enjoys this show as it is.... I find the sad scenes really heart breaking (GMR reunion with her family) and yet I still like the sudden transition from sad to humour for MDC's family. I find it a breath of fresh air from other really serious shows (currently watching A Place In The Sun).

Then again it's a ridiculous situation to get frozen and wake up 20 years later... tbh this show would be so heavy if there wasn't humour in it. I would have dropped it early if that was the case.

You're not alone! I'm liking this drama too. Not loving it yet but liking it so far. Makes me laugh and warms my heart at the same time. I don't get it why so many are analyzing so deeply into this drama. Like you mentioned, the set up is ridiculous...it's meant to be a funny rom-com. If people don't get or like the humor, it's a matter of preference. 

I like MDC's family...except for the sister. Am hoping to see more of them in the coming episodes.

14 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

I also found the fact that MDC's father passed was indicative of how his family turned out. I noticed in the first episode that he seemed to be the only one diligently working besides the father. When they had that dinner where the brother was frantically playing the piano and the sister was singing, It was clear they were out of touch with reality. Were they even working then? I get the impression the father was hoping MDC would continue to do well as a producer to take some of the load off of him. The rest of the family was bleeding him dry as he appeared to be the only breadwinner outside of MDC. With MDC gone, I suppose it was just too much for the father to handle alone. With four able-bodied adults living together, it makes no sense they are all sharing that small apartment over the restaurant. They don't have to live in luxury, but they could be living better than that. 

Was it his sister singing? I thought the singer was someone else?

Okay, I wanna get this off my chest. I'm always disheartened by the negative comments I've been reading about this show. The more I read, the more I wanna drop the show. But each time I end up finishing a single episode and I'm heartened and want to continue. Is that weird? I keep thinking my standard must be low. LOL. But seriously I can't do slice of life type of shows. They're a pain to watch. I love fluff cos I don't have to think too hard and that's what this show does.

I'm watching this for JCW but I'm not staying on to watch cos of him. I've dropped shows of actors/actresses I like so...

Anyway, I do agree this is a mediocre production. But it's one I'm enjoying. For JCW's sake, I hope it'll be commercially successful.

Just done with Ep 3 & 4. Even though the story has start to pick up but I still have problem with the pacing and choppy editing. Same like last week, i think Ep 3 & 4 can be combined into one episode. In episode 3, I know that in this episode they want to show us how GMR and MDC adapting to their 'new life' but there are too many plot holes that they can do better. The writing of 'what happened in these 20 years' for GMR family was done quite well. We get to know that she ask the RA Jo to give the money she received for the experiment in case anything happened to her. So her family used that money to start up a business and their business going well that they manage to clear the debt and now living a comfortable lifestyle. Her family also knew that she is still alive and participated in the experiment so they do not want to waste her sacrifices so they change their lives for the better.

As for Ma Dong Chan, his family situation is much more tragic but they focus too much on the comical part (on the changes of his siblings) a little bit too much. His family did not know what happened to him. They think he went missing and search for him high and low everyday until his father passed away. Her mother lost the will to live (she just live to wait for him to come back) but these essence is not portray well. When MDC learned his father passed away (when he see the photo hang on their family house wall), the part was chop drastically that it doesn't give a proper explanation or closure. Same as the part when he visited his father's columbarium (grave) it was chopped so fast. They should give us more time to know how MDC feel. To swim in his emotions.  But sadly they did not focus on this matter. 

The scenes of GMR ex and the wife is a bit too much and repetitive. I think 1 scene is enough to learn that the ex-bf and the friend got married not long after GMR went frozen and now they have a not happy marriage. 

i think we are not given much on how MDC and GMR adapting into 2019. I keep anticipating but I don't get what I am expected. 

I hope that starting from next week the pace will change because I am afraid that if they keep with this pacing, people will get bored for this drama. People here i mean Koreans who contributes to the ratings. 

25 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

Okay, I wanna get this off my chest. I'm always disheartened by the negative comments I've been reading about this show. The more I read, the more I wanna drop the show. But each time I end up finishing a single episode and I'm heartened and want to continue. Is that weird? I keep thinking my standard must be low. LOL. But seriously I can't do slice of life type of shows. They're a pain to watch. I love fluff cos I don't have to think too hard and that's what this show does.

I'm watching this for JCW but I'm not staying on to watch cos of him. I've dropped shows of actors/actresses I like so...

Anyway, I do agree this is a mediocre production. But it's one I'm enjoying. For JCW's sake, I hope it'll be commercially successful.

Comeback drama for actors who returned from military service is always having high anticipation for fans. People wait for 2 years or more to see him back on screen so it is natural that fans has certain standard for him especially knowing how great actor he is. He had done many good productions before (namely Empress Ki, Healer, K2) so when the drama is a bit slow and not properly execute, negative comments is unavoidable. 

This drama cannot be considered as fluff yet coz in this 4 episodes there is nothing fluffly. As for now, this drama is more of slapstick comedy. 

On 10/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, gilaswan said:

Again, I’m lamenting — how can this be JCW’s comeback?? :bawling:

Off topic so in spoiler 

Spoiler

get the feeling he lacked confidence after his stint in the army?  He said something about low self esteem in a recent interview.  So the only explanation for me is that seeing he didn’t want to do action anymore (he was so good in them but they were really hard on his body - lots of injuries and it required him to really work out hard and diet) and decided to do rom coms (his last being Suspicious Partner), he picked this because it looked easy?  It was a drama to ease him back into drama land.  Not too much emoting (melo).  I don’t know.  That’s the only reason I can think of.  Personally I don’t think he had to worry excessively about losing his touch.  In all of the scenes that he had to remotely emote amid the slapstick, he was brilliant.  I will have to wait for his next installment, unfortunately I can’t watch dramas with too much slapstick.

This drama cannot be considered as fluff yet coz in this 4 episodes there is nothing fluffly. As for now, this drama is more of slapstick comedy. 

liltash85 I don't know your definition of fluff but fluff to me is anything superficial and trivial. If you're saying this drama is more of slapstick comedy, then to me, it's comedic fluff. That's fluffy for sure--completely silly and lacking seriousness.

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Off topic so in spoiler 

Reveal hidden contents

get the feeling he lacked confidence after his stint in the army?  He said something about low self esteem in a recent interview.  So the only explanation for me is that seeing he didn’t want to do action anymore (he was so good in them but they were really hard on his body - lots of injuries and it required him to really work out hard and diet) and decided to do rom coms (his last being Suspicious Partner), he picked this because it looked easy?  It was a drama to ease him back into drama land.  Not too much emoting (melo).  I don’t know.  That’s the only reason I can think of.  Personally I don’t think he had to worry excessively about losing his touch.  In all of the scenes that he had to remotely emote amid the slapstick, he was brilliant.  I will have to wait for his next installment, unfortunately I can’t watch dramas with too much slapstick.

I don’t think to this extend but I believe the idea of this drama is fresh hence he accepted it but the way it was directed, the choppy editing and the lack of details (lazy) in writing makes it less appealing to some. 

Finished episode 3 & 4 last night, but too tired and didn't get a chance to check in here.
It's sad that MDC's family doesn't believe that it's him, but at the same time, it's understandable, because he went through this project secretly and only certain people knew about it. 

I have a feeling that he will bet he one to revealed all the truth and be the one to figure out the chemical to thawing/saving him and GMR.

I'm very curious of Hwang Ji Hoon and who is he. Like I'm confused here, because there's many Hwang in this drama. Lol! Professor Hwang, Hwang Bong Shim/Hwang Dong Hyuk and now Hwang Ji Hoon, who's story we don't know, yet.

Finally watched the 4th episode.   I didn't like the editing as much as for the 3rd and there was too much slapstick with the ex bf of GMR. Looks like we will get more romance next so I am excited for that. Also I can't wait for MDC to finally grill his ex gf for how she did nothing after he disappeared cause he needs to knock her off of her pedestal. She just accepted to shut up about him and move on with her life after shedding some tears in exchange of a promotion...There is no way she really loved him. 

Archived