[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 19 October Episode 7 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea:  1.843% National (-.638%); 2.101% Seoul (-.676%)

TNMS: 1.8% (-.70%)

I..... I have no words.  It's almost as if viewers want to punish Wook for this being his comeback project.  This is the half-way mark now.  There's going to have to be some MAJOR changes in the script, or these numbers go into the record books as the lowest-rated tvN drama EVER.  And damned if I don't want that to happen.

I'm totally shocked at the ratings! I actually felt episode 7 was much better than all the other episodes. The pacing has improved and the mystery/growing relationship between the leads makes it more enjoyable. I'm a little "turned off" by the relationship of the professor and 

MR...a little bit overdone. Still waiting for subtitles for the last half of the episodes. Really, really curious about the "twin" men...one in the capsule and the other trying to kill everyone. I kind of laughed about the corrupt politician...we're having the same problems of corruption in US. Per Cherkell, I can't understand why there cannot be at least 4% of the cable TV audience that would support JCW regardless. Why can't they leave the tv on? Will I get in trouble by saying that? I too do not want MMS to be the lowest rated drama. This forum is quite quiet compared to the Healer and K2 days. I am participating now (though I have been a lurker for a long time) to show my support for JCW.  PS I have noticed that other dramas on public broadcasting stations are getting mediocre ratings considering they are free to the public.

I'm also surprised at the ratings because I've seen worse dramas with better ratings. Sad that this is JCW's comeback project though. If I'm not mistaken, he chose this almost immediately after he got discharged?  I guess sometimes it's better to wait a while after military discharge for a good script instead of quickly choosing a new project. 

I’m not too surprised by the poor rating even though I wish it’s not the case. This drama is really not good enough for a prime spot. I love JCW but there’s nothing to captivate me. The directing / editing are most problematic for me. I watch it half wondering if the next moment will be serious or funny. 

Most of all, I feel the OTP cannot draw me into their upcoming romance. Sorry to say this, but I think they cast the wrong girl with JCW. I don’t see the chemistry. Thought her scenes with Bomin are more interesting.

As for JCW, he is just good looking so far. Can’t see much of his acting chops. In fact, the only moments I like are his interactions with his family. I particularly dislike what they’re doing to the professor and his hair. 

I started out quite liking this drama but as I continue, I feel disheartened. :confused: Might still watch when I have the time only for JCW.

EDIT: see my follow up to this. Not going to delete this but more explanation was needed. To be clear, up front, the last bit is because of shifts in taste, which happens, not because of anything else. 

This drama is giving me whiplash. 

I LOVED this episode. LOVED. 

So long as I forget the fact i was invested in the NHY and MDC relationship, the relationship between GMR and MDC is very delicately written and acted. Id happily have this be episode 4 and an early, early kiss with the resulting “I cant like you for your health and mine“ for the next 8 episodes. 

I cannot understand why the rating has dropped this dramatically. The only thing that i can think of is that people just arent watching dramas on the weekend—then streaming later. The other, and i cant believe im offering this as a reason, is that JCW’s look no longer *visually* suits the key demographics in korea—for this kind of drama. For an action/thriller yes because a masculine face is good but so many successful romcoms are idol based... Maybe im mad to suggest that but the k-entertainment has changed in the last two years—i dont know...

27 minutes ago, tinymel said:

This drama is giving me whiplash. 

I LOVED this episode. LOVED. 

So long as I forget the fact i was invested in the NHY and MDC relationship, the relationship between GMR and MDC is very delicately written and acted. Id happily have this be episode 4 and an early, early kiss with the resulting “I cant like you for your health and mine“ for the next 8 episodes. 

I cannot understand why the rating has dropped this dramatically. The only thing that i can think of is that people just arent watching dramas on the weekend—then streaming later. The other, and i cant believe im offering this as a reason, is that JCW’s look no longer *visually* suits the key demographics in korea—for this kind of drama. For an action/thriller yes because a masculine face is good but so many successful romcoms are idol based... Maybe im mad to suggest that but the k-entertainment has changed in the last two years—i dont know...

I can list several reasons for why the drama's ratings are bad and none of them would be anyone's looks. That's just a dumb theory.

The writing, editing, pace are more up there as reasons of bad ratings for this drama.

You might have loved the episode but other people didn't.

9 hours ago, TGMS49 said:

I'm totally shocked at the ratings! I actually felt episode 7 was much better than all the other episodes. The pacing has improved and the mystery/growing relationship between the leads makes it more enjoyable. I'm a little "turned off" by the relationship of the professor and 

MR...a little bit overdone. Still waiting for subtitles for the last half of the episodes. Really, really curious about the "twin" men...one in the capsule and the other trying to kill everyone. I kind of laughed about the corrupt politician...we're having the same problems of corruption in US. Per Cherkell, I can't understand why there cannot be at least 4% of the cable TV audience that would support JCW regardless. Why can't they leave the tv on? Will I get in trouble by saying that? I too do not want MMS to be the lowest rated drama. This forum is quite quiet compared to the Healer and K2 days. I am participating now (though I have been a lurker for a long time) to show my support for JCW.  PS I have noticed that other dramas on public broadcasting stations are getting mediocre ratings considering they are free to the public.

The way the ratings was calculated its not just open your TV on. There’s a certain way they calculated it and not every TV in every household is taken as sample size. So leaving your TV on doesn’t necessarily means it is counted. Even so the more people watching it the higher the ratings will be. 

In my opinion, this ratings issue is not because the drama is not good but tvN chose the wrong time slot. By wrong I mean the weekend time slot has many competitors and all weekend dramas this time around is good. They should put this drama on Mon- Tue slot as it has less competition. 2 free channels now didn’t air drama on Mon-Tues so the chance of cable dramas gets high ratings for Mon- Tue slot is higher n better. 

31 minutes ago, daloula said:

I can list several reasons for why the drama's ratings are bad and none of them would be anyone's looks. That's just a dumb theory.

The writing, editing, pace are more up there as reasons of bad ratings for this drama.

You might have loved the episode but other people didn't.

I get that, totally. 

I “loved” it compared to the other episodes—which I couldn’t watch. I haven’t watched last week’s episodes, btw.  I only watched this one because the ratings had dropped below 2%. But this episode felt a bit more what I was looking for character development etc compare to 1-4. 

The show’s writing, directing, tone are driving me mad and deserve a low rating. Like I said I couldn’t watch the previous episodes without skipping entire scenes (see my previous posts). 

I don’t know re looks... I just can’t figure out why other dramas that I dropped because of the same problems with writing, pacing, etc, had better ratings. The only common thread was that the MLs were all idols—with large, Young fan bases. And there have been so many idol dramas that I thought it might just be that taste has changed. JCW is stupidly handsome and talented. I suggested  the idol issue because it is the only thing (off the wall, I can’t believe I suggested it myself) I can think of because it is so so so random. It is stupid but that was kind of the point. 

Hope that clears it up. 

34 minutes ago, libra22 said:

Live recap of today's ep from drama milk.

Luckily the kiss with HY is not real!

Hmmm, too bad.  Several of my Korean friends said that MMS could totally turn around for the better if more noona romance was featured.  They must be really thirsty over there!  :lol:

I really didn’t know why tvN chose this time slot. In general Koreans are not into romcom that much. Only few romcoms has huge success. N they put it in a slot where there is spy action, saeguk, mystery thriller, family drama (which is always love though its makjang trope). It is a wrong gamble by tvN. They may thought JCW can be their rating magnet but people still choose a drama based on storyline i guess. 

Archived