[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

1 hour ago, thistle said:

One of my favorite songs ever.  It was written and performed by a man who died tragically and way too early:  Jim Croce.  

I am on my first runthru of Ep. 2 but I missed this......jeez.....guess I'll have to watch it again.  So sad.....(NOT).  This runthru is with only about 20% of the script translated, but I can endure just about anything if Wook's face is there.  Thanks for the notice.

7 minutes ago, RobinM said:

I thought I was only one around here who paired western songs with Korean dramas!

No, you are not the only one, but it is nice to meet another.  I love the current SK music scene (in dramas and movies, not KPop) because it is so reminiscent of what melody and lyrics used to be like......before.....things changed.  

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RobinM said:

@thistle I thought I was only one around here who paired western songs with Korean dramas!  

It's not just you.  But Time in a Bottle is the actual BGM from about 30:04-32:09 in episode 2.

7 minutes ago, Mai Stars said:

This runthru is with only about 20% of the script translated

Are you having trouble finding the episode subbed?

7 minutes ago, thistle said:

Are you having trouble finding the episode subbed?

Not really. I don't know where you are, but I am in the Eastern US, and the subs are coming in as the Viki.com translators have the time to post them.  This seems to be the normal state of affairs where I am.  It should all be almost 100% by tomorrow Tuesday, or Wednesday.  I see the subs posted almost in real time.  Kinda cool.

9 hours ago, cherkell said:

"The K2" premiered with a 4.2% rating, so the bar has been set high for JCW cable dramas, especially with this being his 'comeback' programme.  I was hoping for something closer to 3.5%-4.0%, given all the pre-hype and promotions.  But now that I've had a chance to watch the raw all the way through without streaming interruptions, I don't think the scientist/professor story made much sense (as scripted) and might have turned viewers off during those scenes.  Granted it was only Episode 1 of 16... let's see how Episode 2 fares today.  *fingers crossed*

I hope Sundays ratings will do better as on a Saturdays there’s Vagabond and this drama is addictive and it has that Factor to keep you glued to it. During K2 time only few channels doing weekend drama so the competition is less. Nowadays SBS n KBS cancelled out their mon-tue drama slots as they see cable channels weekend drama doing well so they are competing is same time slot. 

If only international viewers live stream can add to ratings. 

2 hours ago, thistle said:

One of my favorite songs ever.  It was written and performed by a man who died tragically and way too early:  Jim Croce.

YAY!!! I wasn't the only one! loved, loved, loved it... I immediately went and streamed his music after watching the raw. (I have to say I love you in a song... JCW singing that or "Time in a Bottle" for the OST would be interesting)

Found the whole episode a narrative drag, except the end when they FINALLY defrosted. (MDC's hospital scenes were worth their weight in gold and saved the episode for me). MDC's family scene could have been cut in half if not more--though I will not complain about JCW in a white suit, and neither should you!--. The cowboy costumes felt out of place, I'd have preferred full on joseon sageuk with extra formal court speech ... maybe WJA as the runaway queen and JCW as the guard she fell in love with... so we could get "Yea, Mama"... 

I'm still cautious about the writing and pacing of the drama. But the cast is doing an excellent job of pulling the show along with them--again our leads excelled. I'm going to miss Lee Hong-ki, his extended cameo was the best. But replaced Im Won-hee! yay! that hair! You poor, poor man. Kang Ki-doong as the younger version of MDC's little brother was priceless and great casting for going into Kim Won-hae (love, love, love you!).

PRAYING that the pace will pick now that we have finished the two hours of exposition... that could have been handled in a single episode. Please no extended flashbacks!

I am hoping that ratings might start to tick up as we go along... but don't have high hopes for this episode since they waited until the final third to wake up our leads. 

EDIT: I should say that I really do enjoy this drama... I'm being nit-picky because of that. It has sooo much potential and I want it to meet that. 

16 minutes ago, thistle said:

But Time in a Bottle is the actual BGM from about 30:04-32:09 in episode 2

Just went back to that time code in Viki.com and it's not there.....glitch, feature, bug?  Of course, I will keep watching and listening.  It's bound to show up.....but if it doesn't do we have some kind of a story?  Not that important, but it would be good to hear that old anthem again in an appropriate if unusual setting.

I know the ratings are not what we expected BUT they are based on one episode. Didn't like K2 or SP until the whole story was done. Now I can't stop watching them. Same with Healer. Many said it was slow moving until episode 6. JCW dramas have LONGEVITY! They're fun to watch over and over again. Agree that the cast is doing an excellent job.

52 minutes ago, Mai Stars said:

Not really. I don't know where you are, but I am in the Eastern US, and the subs are coming in as the Viki.com translators have the time to post them.  This seems to be the normal state of affairs where I am.  It should all be almost 100% by tomorrow Tuesday, or Wednesday.  I see the subs posted almost in real time.  Kinda cool.

I'm in the Southern US, Central Time, and I've already watched episode 2 fully subbed.  But not on Viki.  ;)  By the way, if you live live recaps, DramaMilk has been covering Melting, and they post literally minutes after airing.

45 minutes ago, tinymel said:

EDIT: I should say that I really do enjoy this drama... I'm being nit-picky because of that. It has sooo much potential and I want it to meet that.

I liked what  @TGMS49 has said about just watching for the sense of enjoyment, and I think that's the best way to approach Melting.  There's another drama airing right now that a lot of people are expressing disappointment about because they went into it with certain expectations, and I think that's too bad.  I'm not expecting anything but enjoyment of watching Melting, and it has provided that for sure.  I'm looking forward to episode 3.

45 minutes ago, Mai Stars said:

Just went back to that time code in Viki.com and it's not there.....glitch, feature, bug?  Of course, I will keep watching and listening.  It's bound to show up.....but if it doesn't do we have some kind of a story?  Not that important, but it would be good to hear that old anthem again in an appropriate if unusual setting.

I don't have Viki.  But the song was there when I watched online.  I can PM you a link.

25 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

good thing he will be frozen fish oppa then

I never thought I'd have the opportunity to use this GIF again but it suddenly seems appropriate.  ;)

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, thistle said:

I don't have Viki.  But the song was there when I watched online.  I can PM you a link.

Got the link, thanks.  Guess some entities who post have better taste in music than others.....LOL.  For anyone else reading, and having nightmares about ratings, Viki.com has posted that Melting Me Softly had a 9.8/10 even before airing!!  

Ji Chang Wook picked this drama himself and has expressed great trust in the writer and director.  I go with all of his experience on the musical stage, and his experience in all types of TV and movie settings.  The man is a pro, and has seen the downside of some of his earlier picks for dramas, and has learned from those experiences.   I will watch him regardless, and skip the bad parts, if there are any.  

Healer and the K2 is his masterpiece and these 2 dramas pace is never boring or slow. Healer got me hooked as early as episode 2. 

It seems that this first 2 episodes is like an introduction to the characters and I seriously hope this pace will pick up next week onwards before KNetz really gets bored. 

22 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

as if she know he will keep making lie about Freud , who would in their right mind will give frozen oops half of their Hart :joy: 

I thought this scene was so cute and funny.  It really looked like our two leads were enjoying this little snippet of fantasy.

2 hours ago, Mai Stars said:

The version that Viki was able to license has been formatted for international use, and will more than likely have any original broadcast music scrubbed out and replaced.  Because of Korean copyright laws, the original broadcasts are the only ones allowed to have the ASCAP/BMI song(s) performed.  Any broadcasts post-first broadcast (even repeats on tvN) will not have the Jim Croce tune.

You will also notice that the songs played over the credits are all Korean covers of the original tunes in order to get around the copyright issues.  It's a stupid way to do business, but there ya go.

I have only seen the first episode but I enjoy how they made him and his girlfriend equally genuinely and deeply in love, even giving them a love song of their own. That’s not something you see on dramas when you know Hero and Heroine are the OTP. Interested in how the love lines play out. 

Archived