[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

So many different reactions on this show. I agree with some people that there are too many characters in this story ie MDC's family which to me overplays the slapstick comedy. A balanced family ie GMR portrays the family devotion and each character adds to the balance. My question is WHY are  there so many characters in MDC's family? Gotta wait and see. I was looking forward to a comedy and I laughed so loud at times that my husband had to come and check on me. Being a retired educator, I know that one's background knowledge connects to one's reaction to different situations. For me, the old cell phones, MDC trying to unlock the car door with a regular key, the big steering wheel on his car and old hairstyles/handbags, etc. are what I find hilarious. Slapstick comedy, fluff...I really don't care. Everyone is going to be different. I can imagine that writers have to target the middle of the road audience. Can't please everyone. I'm going to reserve my final review when I get to see MMS in its entirety. My feelings for Suspicious Partner changed drastically after watching the entire drama. I think the leads and cast are doing a great job. Love the young actors! I hope there are more "meaty" parts for MDC; it seems a little out of balance because of the "strong woman" theme.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up liking ep 4 more than the others. There was a bit more weight to it and it helped balance out the over the top silly. I like  her family. I like him. I don't like his family. (Sorry.) And I don't like the two weirdoes running the station right now. (Again, sorry. But it's just overkill on the weirdness.) However, I think it's starting to head into more interesting territory, with the mystery about the professor starting to come out, and the story of why the gf kept quiet instead of looking for JCW, and the promise of WJA and JCW ending up on the same team, so to speak. So I'm cautiously hopeful that it will get better. 

I do think that the slapstick thing is purely a matter of personal taste. I know soooo many people who adored SWDBS, for example, and I just couldn't handle it. Doesn't mean that something like this is objectively bad. It just means that we're all different individuals with different life experiences and different tastes, so the same thing will appeal to us differently. My feelings over excessive (to me) slapstick should in no wise be taken as a warning to someone else not to try it out. You may love it! (And I may love it by the time it's done, too. I'm still watching, after all. :) )

15 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I do think that the slapstick thing is purely a matter of personal taste. I know soooo many people who adored SWDBS, for example, and I just couldn't handle it. Doesn't mean that something like this is objectively bad. It just means that we're all different individuals with different life experiences and different tastes, so the same thing will appeal to us differently. My feelings over excessive (to me) slapstick should in no wise be taken as a warning to someone else not to try it out. You may love it! (And I may love it by the time it's done, too. I'm still watching, after all. :) )

Well said! I agree it's a matter of personal preference. I don't mind slapstick comedies as long as they are not overly self-deprecating. Some are toilet humor and those are awful.

I realized I'm easily tickled and I laugh easily...whether it's outright physical expressions and actions or subtle wit. Some of my favorite shows are by HK comedian Stephen Chow. His shows were pretty much slapstick comedies but yet they had longevity. I can watch his old shows over and over and still laugh at the silly antics.

One thing I noticed though...years ago I watched JUMP in Seoul and it was pretty much slapstick humor. My son was pretty young and I thought he might like it but apparently I was mistaken. So while the locals were roaring in laughter, both of us just look at each other and rolled our eyes to high heavens. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, frozentundra said:

YES, it is a matter of preference and everyone has their own choice to like this drama or not. I think no one here is discouraging anyone not to watch this drama. We are free to comment. Likewise, i also giving reviews based on my opinion on this drama. In my opinion the slapstick comedy is not my forte and it kills the important essence in the drama that could have been explain more meaningfully. Healer has it's own comical essence but the drama is still written beautifully and the message is well received by the audience. It has balance. For now, MMS to me is a bit imbalance as the focus is too much on the comedy parts and the comical characters (MDC hoobae, former boss, his brother, his sister, GMR ex bf, GMR friends, Prof Hwang and his shampoo ad so on and so forth). Half of it, can be cut out and can be focus on the more important parts (eg how are MDC-GMR cope with 2019 and the experiment side effects). I hope this imbalance will gets better in coming episodes. I hope we knew more about the conspiracy and what not and gets to see MDC-GMR relationship kicks start. 

As a Kdrama fan, I judge a drama as a whole (storyline, plot, editing, actors and actresses performance, chemistry, character growth, logic-ness, moral of the story etc) . There is nothing wrong with JCW and WJA acting. They are giving their best as usual. Of course I will continue watching it for JCW regardless. As of now, I think the drama has wasted it precious 4 episodes (while other dramas already on full gear mode as early as episode 2) and it is such a waste not to explore the ability of BOTH JCW and WJA. These two can do so much but it is still not there yet.  

I agree with everyone about preferences. Being retired and  kdramas being my passion, I decided to rewatch all 4 episodes. What a difference! Storyline was more connected and slapstick was not a pain to watch. Three parts really annoyed me...boss & assistant director, girlfriends with fortune teller and family at opera dinner. I think these parts really stalled the flow. But I think JCW fans have been conditioned to faster paced JCW dramas?? 

11 hours ago, Gail Britzius said:

I agree with everyone about preferences. Being retired and  kdramas being my passion, I decided to rewatch all 4 episodes. What a difference! Storyline was more connected and slapstick was not a pain to watch. Three parts really annoyed me...boss & assistant director, girlfriends with fortune teller and family at opera dinner. I think these parts really stalled the flow. But I think JCW fans have been conditioned to faster paced JCW dramas?? 

I didn't really feel the pace for this drama is slow but the editing causes some parts to look a bit disjointed. Also, when I tried watching the drama raw without subtitles, the disjoint was very apparent. I didn't get that sense when I watched his other dramas like K2 or SP raw. So my conclusion is, I need to watch this drama with full attention when it's fully subbed.

I actually found the expressions of MDC's assistant director and GMR's ex-boyfriend very amusing. Really hats off to them for being able to twitch and contort their face so much! Haha. So far the scenes I don't like so much are mostly those of MDC's sister. I know most seems to be drawn to GMR's family but while I enjoyed watching their backstory,  I now find them boring post the 20-year. I'm looking forward to seeing more interactions in MDC's family...especially between he and his niece.

Anyway, this drama has always been pitched as a comedic rom-com. And if you factor in the writer and the cast, you probably can get a sense that the comedy isn't going to be subtle. :lol:

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 12 October Episode 5 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea: 2.063% National (-1.138%); 2.126% Seoul (-1.124%)

TNMS: 2.1% (-1.60%)

All cable ratings were down many points for Saturday night.  "Three Meals a Day-Mountainside" premiered on 12 October, which could possibly push down the ratings a bit.  Can't blame Typhoon Hagibis, because it's supposed to completely miss the Korean Peninsula.  Can't blame the football or baseball matches, because no one was playing last night.  But to rank under the YTN 7:00pm News broadcast?  I have no freakin' idea WTF is going on with the lack of K-audience. :angry:

I watched episode 5 without the subtitles. Will go back when all subtitles are done. I am soooo disappointed with the ratings! Feel so helpless when international fans' input doesn't count. I feel for the cast and staff. I hope JCW doesn't take on the burden. Without the subtitles, I still laughed when he started to drive the new car...all the bells and whistles. Reminded me of when my husband pushed the seat heater button in my car and wondered why his seat was on fire. MMS...fighting!!!

I think ep 5 was really good. Finally starting to get moving. The chemistry between the two is really good and super cute even though I see why people are saying some parts seem to be off with the drama overall (scene tones from comedic to serious). I think the story between the two leads is what makes me keep watching the drama. 

5 hours ago, cherkell said:

All cable ratings were down many points for Saturday night.  "Three Meals a Day-Mountainside" premiered on 12 October, which could possibly push down the ratings a bit.  Can't blame Typhoon Hagibis, because it's supposed to completely miss the Korean Peninsula.  Can't blame the football or baseball matches, because no one was playing last night.  But to rank under the YTN 7:00pm News broadcast?  I have no freakin' idea WTF is going on with the lack of K-audience. :angry:

JTBC's 'My Country' raised from 3.8% on Friday to 4.8% on Saturday though

8 hours ago, cherkell said:

Haven’t watched the episode* yet but this really surprises me. It is a live broadcast number right? Doesn’t include streaming? Because that could play a big part. A younger audience is out partying and then watches it the next day? I was surprised it was in a weekend spot. Expected a mid week one. 

And thanks for these numbers. I’ve never actively followed viewership/ratings before so this is really interesting. 

*im probably going to wait for a couple and then go back to beginning and binge—I hope that the pacing will be better that way. 

TBH, I feel a little bad for Na Ha Yeong character. Back then, even if she keep fighting against the tv station and uncovered the truth to public, nothing would be changed. She couldn't save him either because prof. Hwang was in coma.

I hope the writers make another reason for Ma Dong Chan to leave Na Ha Yeong. Not only because he feels more comfortable with Mi Ran, now. Afer just a few weeks, and Dong Chan already had a changed heart. Hmmm

8 hours ago, Prettysup said:

JTBC's 'My Country' raised from 3.8% on Friday to 4.8% on Saturday though

TMNS has come under fire for over/under-reporting ratings in the past, so they've totally changed the way they are calculating them now.  No more splitting the numbers into Nationwide and Seoul Metropolitan categories; all are lumped under one TNMS aggregate.  There are 3 categories that TNMS utilises:

1.  The free over-the-air channels (KBS1/KBS2/SBS/MBC) are calculated under the "Terresterial" grouping.

2.  The free-over-the-air cable channels (JTBC/TV Chosun/MBN/Channel A) ratings are calculated under the "General Cable" grouping.*

3.  Pay cable channels OCN/tvN/YTN/Yonhap News are calculated under the "Cable" grouping.**

*Depending on what television cable package a household subscribes to, these channels are added at no additional cost.

** These channels will always be a extra cost to a household cable package.

So the programs that were lumped into the "Cable" grouping all had horrible ratings for Saturday night broadcasts, ranging from 2.9% all the way down to 1.4%.  I have yet to read if there was an outage or other situation that sent the Cable group tumbling like that.  And yes, there are live numbers reported along the way that fluctuate, but it's the final aggregate number which is reported to the media outlets.

I personally still don't know what to make of the show so far.  Because of work issues, I have yet to actually sit down and watch a whole episode from start to finish.  But what I have seen so far, I can safely say that Dong-chan's family should be taken out to the countryside and dumped there permanently for their own good.  They're absolutely worthless and serve no purpose to move the plot along.  :angry:

EDIT:  I'm trying to watch Episode 6 on my way to the office.  I noticed that Im Won Hee's hairstyle has changed quite a bit from his appearance in the TBO studios for Dong-chan's newscast to the next day when Hyeon-gi and the General Manager are meeting.  Wondering if some scenes were re-shot taking the ratings in mind?  Hmmmmm.... <_<

Archived