[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] In A Class Of Her Own 云上学堂 ll 漂亮书生

sugarplum892

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also check out iQiyi for previews. ^_^ It took long enough for Feng Ge to realize she's a girl! We're running out of episodes to have a solid romance or give closure to Lei Ao. :( I'm trying to wait to binge watch episodes 23-30 so waiting for more release this weekend!

The previews of 31,32,35 and 36 are out! (IQIYI, where are 33 and 34???)

Anyway, it looks like romance lite. FCJ only gets confirmation, and becomes comfortable with the fact she’s a girl in last 6 episodes, which also have a lot of politics. 

Although, maybe there will be a lot of sweet moments this week when he’s confused. Let’s hope! I would like lots of romance please, since the first 24 episodes have no romance! 

Edit: All episodes are now out on iQIYI. But iQIYI has a quirk, they’ve locked the last 6 episodes until you’ve watched the ones before. It’s good for people like me who will skip to the romantic scenes. I know those scenes are actually are much better when there’s a build up, but I’m a very impatient person! 

I've watched ep 31 to 36. I am still on episode 15. Thank you for the recommendations for the FL's previous drama. Her chemistry with the ML was intense there. I enjoyed that drama a lot.

There was or is no hope here. I think its obvious that's where the writer wants the actors to act as. I am thankful SWL has another drama where thankfully it looks as if he can display more emotions. He is an extremely good looking model for a period drama here. But even his wedding night scene expression looks insipid and he doesn't normally look like that. What is the writer/ director doing?

I like the ending for the siblings. I mean the Han siblings. The actress is really, really pretty and sweet. I wouldn't mind watching her in another drama.

A class of her own. I will finish this slowly. There is no rush as its just plodding along. You guys are right. Her make up is a mile thick in the later episodes with heavy eye shadows.

It doesn't leave much of an impression with me. I am seriously wondering if I should even finish it as I saw what happened in ep 31 onwards. Even the anticipated bed or sleeping arrangements post reveal was so bland. No tension zilch awareness. Even him changing her clothes was edited to not be shown and the implied intimacy was just brushed over. Wen Bin the male is also boring as all heck in the end.

I am sorry guys. The cast here is extremely good looking and shown to be acting well and have chemistry in other dramas. The period costumes are not bad. The backdrop is not bad. The filming or editing ok. But why in the world did this seem even bland? I just watched about 3 other school academy based dramas before this. They all had cross-dressing girls and the OTP had way more awareness and tension. It's the writer and the director right? Its their fault right?

33 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

I've watched ep 31 to 36. I am still on episode 15. Thank you for the recommendations for the FL's previous drama. Her chemistry with the ML was intense there. I enjoyed that drama a lot.

I skimmed to the end. I thought Yun Xi was very tame with the romance, but what the bum? This takes the biscuit. Little romance, no tension, no kisses??? :huh: There is a peck on the cheek, but it’s obviously fake. What’s so intimate about a cheek kiss that you’d have to fake it? Like, wHhhhaaattt???

Can someone tell me what was implied on the wedding night? That she tore his clothes off? I didn’t get it. Given how chaste the entire show was that doesn’t make sense, but what else was she doing in that bed with him? 

And you’re right, what is with SWL’s expressions? Just a bit dopey. JJY’s looks are pretty insipid towards the end too.

I’m sad she didn’t choose Lei Ao, I would have! Richards Wang did a great job. I hope he gets ML roles most of the time now. 

I’m going to try SWL’s new drama. I can’t get over how good looking he is. It’s ridiculous.

There was hanky panky in the end in the Korean version. So the Chinese version was on par.

This might turn out to be a SWL shipper thread if no one else posts. I think one of the main reason why I like him besides his height, shoulders and distinctive eyebrows are that his looks are distinctive. He has some pretty strong features. I've spent countless dramas watching a Korean actor doppelanger to finally be able to say  "ah, thats a good looking Chinese actor."  I can't see the obvious scar from double eyelid surgery, or a nose job, or a shaved jaw or an obvious super obvious copy of another person's face. And what happens is that half the time the PS gives this artificially good looking face but you still have this narrow shoulders, flat chest, flat bum physique. It is so jarring.  I then spend the whole drama feeling as if I am watching a Kdrama. That Song Joong Ki doppelanger traumatised me. And oh yes, when the chin implant is too obvious... it is so bad.

So yeah Song WL looking like a tall long vase. And his other 2 male actors in those flowing robes? Looks good. None of the sometime too modern sewing machine designs etc in the drama. Although Wen Bin wore the same spaghetti strap over costume look when she revealed herself and then the time skip 1 year later. I wonder why her make up was so white and thick though. You can see all the male actor's skin. But she looked caked in white powder.

Anyway last post here. I still have to force myself to complete for the sake of the good looking SWL. Otherwise I would prefer to watch his new drama. 

The ending felt really

Spoiler

anticlimactic for me. I didn't feel any excitement for ANY of the characters. Still, I watched it till the end since they are easy on the eyes. 

Will be watching the other SWL drama after this.

I finished the drama last night and feel disappointed at how quickly it wrapped up the loose ends! The political plot was wrapped up and the villain taken down in just 1 episode after all that mystery and fighting. The romance definitely needed a few more episodes to develop. I feel sad for Lei Ao but not as sad as for other second leads because he didn't do much to "fight for the girl" nor was there much of the secret pining scenes we tend to see in other dramas, so that's a good thing I guess. Such a good cast, but they can do so much more! I'm looking forward to to new dramas of Ju Jing Yi and Song Wei Long!

Yes, I found the ending anti-climatic. The korean version had a lot more at stake. Female lead's identity and her life vs the King's political ambition/vision to establish the capital in another location. But he gave it up for her, that scene was gripping. And the ML's father telling the FL that he is handing his son to her, and asking her to take care of him - wow that was scene was amazing (the father is a lot more stern and unwielding than this C-drama one). Yu Le Xuan-equivalent sets up a fabric shop, true to his merchant ways. And Lei Ao-equivalent, joins the army; while carrying out his duties, he goes after another black-clothed 'rebel' who is spreading 'words of truth' like how he used to, and he comments that the written prose (language proficiency) has deteriorated (making comparisons with his prose, [laughs]).

Compared with the Korean version, yah the ending was tame. I liked the naughty ending they gave the Korean version - in case you are wondering, they both decided to refer to a how-to book to spice up their night life. [lol]   And I enjoyed the fact that the FL (in the Korean version) ended up teaching in the academy she graduated from.

Soong Jong Ki and Bi Wen Jun compared, I'd take the former anyday or his characterisation [not prejudiced], but then again Chinese authoritise probably won't have allowed the overtly 'feminine' portrayal of that character. So we will just have to accept Yu Le Xuan as he is. Richard Wangs I agree did a darn good job of his character and hats off to his character for being able to let things go without getting too upset about Wen Xi's choice of a man, and telling her that he is her family, for always (how sweet).

I am of two minds about Song Wei Long. First, he's only 21 years old, so he probably doesn't have the depth of life's experiences and acting experience to portray a wider rnage of emotions. Out of curiosity, I checked out an episode of his modern drama and I kinda feel like I am seeing the same face, same expressions as he portrayed in this drama.... I know that he is supposed to be a goody-two-shoes kinda character in this drama, innocent, upright and so that may have limited the breadth of emotions/ expressions...but I kinda found him a bit single dimensioned at times... Even when he was supposed to be upset, I didn't feel that he was upset, it was very subdued. I have to say I haven't watched him in other dramas, so, he could probably have done a better job elsewhere, so my comments are limited to just this one drama. But I do get that his extremely thick and dark eyebrows and intense stares, as well as vase-like body proportions (I think his waist is smaller than mine, LOL) does have its uniqueness. He seemed to have gotten quite a huge audience reach from his 2017 dramas...so there must be some reason for it... I wish him the best and given his youthfulness, he has a long way to go in his career.

Ju Jing Yi as opposed to Una You (also another cross-dressing portrayal), I'd find the latter more believable any time as a guy. The Korean version featured a very cute and capable Rom-Com actress (Park Min Young) and she comes across as very adorable and lovable (her dimples really get to you anytime). Both the C-drama and K-drama actresses are bright and chirpy, and they do get how they are supposed to portray the FL, so acting wise I think both do justice. Just that JJY is rather petite and a lot less believable as a guy. I've been pining for JJY since The Legend of Yun Xi...waiting for Blooms at Ru Yi Pavillion to see her on screen again, to "reconcile" her relationship with Zhang Zhe Han (keh keh keh).

Overall, I was more drawn-in from the beginning to the middle. Then, towards E28 onwards, it was alright but not the sort to leave you holding onto your seat or your heart sinking or bawling your eyes out. But then again, maybe that was never the intention of the director!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:51 AM, SC2019 said:

Richard Wangs did a darn good job of his character

My thoughts exactly, I hope to see more costume dramas with him, he looks very natural in ancient garb and with long hair. :)

On 8/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, cantbreathe said:

Little romance, no tension, no kisses??? :huh:

You should watch Dear Herbal Lord, totally recommended to anybody who wants to see more tenson (and kisses as well). :D

Overall I would say I totally agree with the opinions that the ending was too rushed, as if during the production they've made about 30+ episodes and then suddenly realized they need to squeeze  all the remaining material into 3-4 episodes. I wonder if it may be they had more shooting material but for some reason it  just haven't been used.

I thought the first few episodes were slow but I’m glad I stuck with it as it is easy watching though I probably won’t watch it again.   I agree with others that the FL’s styling as a male is not believable.  She just looks like a girl.  The FL lead in The Heiress is more believable as a male though she is pretty and flamboyantly dressed.

• 5 weeks later...

This drama is slow paced and light hearted. 

The highlight of the show is the visuals, great looking actors and actresses. That's probably it.

I am rather appalled by the lack of effort to disguise the FL into a male student. Her breasts are often pretty visible and her make up (lipstick and eye shadow) makes it too obvious that she is not a boy!!! :(

The only plot that piqued my curiosity is the mysterious death of Lei Ao's brother. Other than that, there is hardly any tension nor chemistry amongst the ML and FL. Maybe it gets deeper later, but I am already at episode 15 and kinda bored. The friendship scenes are fun.

The show failed at the romance bit. Maybe the political plots later can make up for it. 

Hopefully some of these actors and actresses get to be in other projects more able to demonstrate their acting skills. This one is purely for aesthetics pleasure only, imo.

From the same genre, Arsenal Military Academy was way better. I highly recommend it.

I will watch the Korean version after this out of curiosity. 

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] In A Class Of Her Own 云上学堂 ll 漂亮书生
  • 2 weeks later...

There is really no tension between the leads. argh...why?!

The FL is likeable, believable too even though she looks like a girl in a man’s garb. she’s impish,  tantrums like a girl and gets easily satisfied with affirmations of brotherhood with the ML. it’s easy to see her idolatry turning into more.

Not so much the ML. I can tell he prioritizes the FL and goes out of his way for her. but why has he no inkling at all that he might be a she despite being pretty smart. Perhaps it’s the writing. He’s like a block of wood. The ML has no real expressions, so bland for such a handsome face. I am beginning to wonder if he is the ML. He sure looks like one though. It’s hard to imagine that he has not a lot of experience cos he started out a while back - I ve seen others as young as he is with more facial expressions in one episode than SWL in the whole series. I ve also seen other dramas of his - same expressions.  

I am in total agreement that the 2ML (the fighter) has better charisma and presence -my eyes veer to him when they are all on screen. Even the merchant is more interesting. But me eyeballs do look for the pretty faces after a bit. Heh!

How shallow of me :issohappy:

Archived