Broadcast Period: 7/23/2020 - 8/15/2020

Cast:

Ju Jing Yi as Xue Wenxi
Song Wei Long as Feng Chengjun
Bi Wen Jun as Yu Yuexuan
Wang Rui Chang as Lei Zexin
Chen Yi Long as Han Zhisheng

Synopsis:

Xue Wenxi comes from a poor family, and disguises as a guy to make ends meet by helping to transcript and copywrite books. She meets Feng Chengjun, the son of Prime Minister Yun, who acknowledges her talents. Feng Chenjun secretly planned a setup so that Xue Wenxi was appointed by the Emperor, and enrolled in the Yun Shang Academy which only accepts male students. There, she befriends the rebellious and unrestrained Yu Yuexuan and the cold and aloof Lei Zexin. The four become known as the "Yun Shang Quartet" and assists the Emperor in managing the country. Through their hard work, the lives of the people began to improve. However, in the quartet's attempt to bring down General Han, a powerful man who attempts to interfere in courtly affairs, Xue Wenxi's identity as a girl and Feng Chengjun's identity as the Crown prince of the previous dynasty were exposed. In the time of chaos and unrest, Feng Chengjun assumes his position as the Crown Prince, and led the quartet in an expedition to defeat the enemies. They ultimate find victory in protecting the peace of their homeland, and fulfills their vision of serving the people.

Remarks: Remake of Kdrama: SungKyunKwan Scandal

(Source:DramaWiki)

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Baidu Link

Weibo Link

KDrama: SungKyunKwan Scandal

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to SoompiSupport

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh! Song Wei Long!!

Opted out for his previous drama, I forgot the name, the one where they were in Spain. But I did love his "Find Yourself" with Victoria Song. I will wait for this impatiently. 

Richards Wang :7555_attack: 

I would definitely watch it, not usually into romantic / comedy dramas , but  I'll definitely make an exception here. In my opinion Richards Wang should have more costume dramas, he looks great in costumes and with long hair.

There is no constructive or logical comment except to say I am here solely because of the male lead. Based on his previous drama with Victoria Song.

The female lead reminds of Han Hye Joo. The problem is that I can see so much plastic surgery these days that I keep seing Korean actors in Chinese actors features. They all blend in. Unless the surgery is obvious or rather in this case someone's chin. It is bizzare actually seeing  supportive actors looking Chinese. Then the main cast looking like generic Korean actors.

The original SS bed scene was terribly funny. So it has been gratifying that the male lead here goes straight to sleeping rightnexttoher in early on already.

Where are all the people at? I expected this drama to be way more popular than this. Maybe too many Chinese dramas? Guessing. 

I wanted to find out if Richard Wang knows from the beginning that Ju Jing Yi is a woman, because I just saw a fan made MV with them in it and he’s so flirty. I’m going to have SLS so bad! So it’s with trepidation that I start this drama, even though I’m so psyched about it.

I love Richard Wang and Ju Jing Yi. He’s a great actor with heaps of charisma and a striking look. She’s both cute and beautiful and she does plucky heroine really well. Loved her in Yun Xi. 

4 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Where are all the people at? I expected this drama to be way more popular than this. Maybe too many Chinese dramas? Guessing. 

I love Richard Wang and Ju Jing Yi. He’s a great actor with heaps of charisma and a striking look. She’s both cute and beautiful and she does plucky heroine really well. Loved her in Yun Xi. 

Exactly!  I notice there are better viewerships for some flimsy dramas - dramas which I cannot even finish watching after a few eps.

I supposed it may be because of 2 factors:  1) this is a remake of the korean- Sungkwunkwan Scandal.  2) the failure of Beautiful Reborn Flower. 

Which ep are you at now cantbreath?  Ep 13 is so Hilarious - I had to laugh out loud.  Everyone is great in this drama.  Except for the makeup of Ju Jingyi, the actings of all actors (lead or supporting) have been "spot-on".   It is entering the more serious stage now at ep 14.  But still great

Hi everyone!!! I am watching!  Binged ep 1-12 all at once, then watched 13 and 14.  I am enjoying this, since Sungkyunkwan Scandal was my favourite Kdrama for years but lost a bit of its shine for me after the Yoo-Chun thing :(   

Things I love : Girl is plucky, visuals are pretty, easy watch during pandemic

Things I am reserving judgement on : ML is not really showing a lot of jealousy/romantic interest so far.  Part of why SSKS was so good was the ML's struggle as he falls for FL and the push and pull between his overwhelming feelings and his upbringing.  Thought by ep 14 we would see more of this, but the most "jealous" he got out of it all was when he thought Richard's character gets the girl in the novel.  Might still be early days, or that BL really can't be explored in much detail at all in a Cdrama?

Things I don't love : FL is so so so so so girly that I am needing more than my usual amount of suspension of belief to believe that not one of those boys even has an inkling that she's a girl?  I know she can't be super masculine, but like Yoo Jung in Moonlight drawn by Clouds, she at least deepens her voice a bit and I could believe she was an adolescent boy.  No one can beat Nokdu in a gender bender drama I know ;) 

Anyway, still enjoying this and I'll keep watching!

@hush puppy I’m only on episode 2, I just started it last night. I don’t like to live watch as angst stresses me out, I like to be able to fast forward! But oh my god, I just discovered the male lead and I can’t stop staring. I don’t know if he’s meant to be a good actor, as his character is so restrained it’s hard to tell, but he’s SO beautiful!! 

13 hours ago, WinCee said:

I am enjoying this, since Sungkyunkwan Scandal was my favourite Kdrama for years but lost a bit of its shine for me after the Yoo-Chun thing :(   

I haven’t watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal even though I know I’d love it because of the Yoo-Chun thing :( I really wanted to see flirty Song Joong Ki, but I’m just too grossed out by Yoo-Chun to want to see him in an OTP. 

I see what you mean about suspending your disbelief with the FL. They haven’t even bothered hiding the fact she has breasts! 

I'm at ep 18 and am still wondering if ANYONE knew FL is a girl, especially Le Xuan since he saw her going to the shed late at night for a bath.

Hope the show picks up it's pace soon as it's starting to become a drab to me. I loved the original version as the whole cast was more engaging and hilarious. I also like the Chinese cast especially ML and FL but still feel there's something missing. Even the villain is not as evil as the original :phew:

21 minutes ago, chsaf said:

I'm at ep 18 and am still wondering if ANYONE knew FL is a girl, especially Le Xuan since he saw her going to the shed late at night for a bath.

Aw man, I can’t believe you’re at 18 and they haven’t revealed it yet! I’m at 6 and it’s what’s keeping me going through all these episodes!  I just want them to realise she’s a girl and for them to start having some real feels, because at the moment it’s just the FL.  I guess they need time to build up the friendships though...

I thought Lei Ao might know she’s a girl because of all the stuff she blabbered when drunk, but he doesn’t say anything because it doesn’t matter to him? I’m pretty sure Le Xuan has an idea she might be a girl, and it seems he finds out first? From previews I saw that. 

Nothing has really come out of Wen Bin’s friendship with the courtesan yet, but I know there’s a scene where the FL  in Sungkyunkwan scandal dresses as a courtesan, so I’m really hoping that’s what she’s in the story for! I think Ju Jing Yi dressed as a courtesan will be beautiful and ML will definitely see her differently. 

For those of you who love Sungkyunkwan Scandal, how is it comparing to the original? 

It’s funny, I went into this thinking Lei Ao was the Song Joong Ki character, but I guess it’s Le Xuan? I really like the actor playing Le Xuan! He does it really well. He’s smart and sneaky and flirty, without crossing into cringey and slimy. 

Yes, Yu Le Xuan is Song JoongKi's character, while Lei Ao is Yoo Ah In's. I think Lei Ao has no idea either XD. I like both actors, they acted differently than the original but still acceptable and likable.

Sorry for giving you spoilers :sweat_smile:

Yes! So looking forward to the part where FL has to don courtesan outfit. Maybe then we'll see some changes in their brotherhood? Somehow I feel that the villain's sister who has a crush on the ML is more annoying here than the original.

1 hour ago, chsaf said:

Sorry for giving you spoilers :sweat_smile:

Don’t worry, I’m actually here for spoilers! Since this is a remake, I think the main story will be the same, so I’m watching it for the actors/chemistry. Also, like I mentioned before, I love Ju Jing Yi and Richard Wang. I think Ju Jing Yi has great chemistry with her co-stars, and she is cute without being annoying or childish. 

Richard Wang is very good for this role, He does the comedy/lighter parts well, so he is a good distraction from the very wooden ML.  

@WinCee mentioned that there isn’t much jealousy from the ML, and that has been a bit of a bummer for me. I mean, couldn’t they at least make the ML suspect it or drop him a clue so he starts to see her differently??? I don’t think hinting at BL is problematic, as Doctor Cutie (cdrama) is also a gender bender with a plot like MDBTC and the ML similarly struggles to understand his feelings. (Although suspending your disbelief is taken to new levels in Doctor Cutie. There’s a scene where she’s literally dressed as a woman but draws a moustache on her face and he can’t tell she’s a woman :huh:)

Let me know once you get to the courtesan part! I’m dying for them to get the OTP started!

On 8/1/2020 at 7:20 AM, cantbreathe said:

@hush puppy I’m only on episode 2, I just started it last night. 1) I don’t like to live watch as angst stresses me out, I like to be able to fast forward! But oh my god, 2) I just discovered the male lead and I can’t stop staring.  3) I don’t know if he’s meant to be a good actor, as his character is so restrained it’s hard to tell, but he’s SO beautiful!! 

1) Smart girl. So that you don't have to wait for new episodes every week

2) You mean he is so handsome:lol:. (I suggest you go watch his drama "Find Yourself". It was so popular.  He looks even better there)

3) I just saw an interview of him, regarding his this drama.  He mentioned that he was supposed to act as a person who don't know how to express himself. (So you have interpreted him correctly - so restrained).

9 hours ago, chsaf said:

I'm at ep 18 and am 1) still wondering if ANYONE knew FL is a girl, especially Le Xuan since he saw her going to the shed late at night for a bath.

2) Hope the show picks up it's pace soon as it's starting to become a drab to me. I loved the original version as the whole cast was more engaging and hilarious. I also like the Chinese cast especially ML and FL but still feel there's something missing. Even the villain is not as evil as the original :phew:

1) Le Xuan already knows that the FL is a girl. That is why he is so protective of her after the night-bath scene.

2) I'm alright with the pace you know. I don't find it draggy at all.  To me, all those that are happening now, are necessary leading to the eventual outcome.

We cannot compare with the Korean version. For one - Sungkyunkwan Scandal only has 20 eps. So they always try to compress everything as much as possible.

I read that the Chinese Version just maintain the gist of the Novel that's all.  They do not simply duplicate what Sungkyungkwan Scandal does. It is better this way. Fresher and more original. 

At least the Chinese ML is more handsome.  Even cantbreathe says he is "so beautiful" :lol:

On 7/31/2020 at 6:40 PM, WinCee said:

Hi everyone!!! I am watching!  Binged ep 1-12 all at once, then watched 13 and 14.  I am enjoying this, since Sungkyunkwan Scandal was my favourite Kdrama for years but lost a bit of its shine for me after the Yoo-Chun thing :(   

Things I am reserving judgement on : ML is not really showing a lot of jealousy/romantic interest so far.  Part of why SSKS was so good was the ML's struggle as he falls for FL and the push and pull between his overwhelming feelings and his upbringing.  Thought by ep 14 we would see more of this, but the most "jealous" he got out of it all was when he thought Richard's character gets the girl in the novel.  Might still be early days, or that BL really can't be explored in much detail at all in a Cdrama?

15 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Aw man, I can’t believe you’re at 18 and they haven’t revealed it yet! I’m at 6 and it’s what’s keeping me going through all these episodes!  I just want them to realise she’s a girl and for them to start having some real feels, because at the moment it’s just the FL.  I guess they need time to build up the friendships though...

I believe by now, the ML already has some inklings that the FL is a female.  But you know, in cases like this, there is always self-denial.  Difficult for him to believe.  Because in those days, no girl could be so daring as to pretend to be a male. Much more to enter an all-male academy; to live among them. (If discovered, the punishment and attending humiliations are no joke man)

What I don't like is her makeup: the red lipstick (why can't they use a nude colour?), those peach-coloured eye-shadow.  I can accept that there are smaller-sized and effeminate males.  But those makeups are unacceptable. What do you all think?

11 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I believe by now, the ML already has some inklings that the FL is a female.  But you know, in cases like this, there is always self-denial.  Difficult for him to believe.  Because in those days, no girl could be so daring as to pretend to be a male. Much more to enter an all-male academy; to live among them. (If discovered, the punishment and attending humiliations are no joke man)

What I don't like is her makeup: the red lipstick (why can't they use a nude colour?), those peach-coloured eye-shadow.  I can accept that there are smaller-sized and effeminate males.  But those makeups are unacceptable. What do you all think?

Yes I came to comment on the make up!  By Ep17/18, she has peach eye shadow, red lipstick, and her hair has a red tinge that is definitely not natural (did they used to dye their hair back in those days? :idk:) Coupled with the red and white outfit with the flowers on the sleeves, how can anyone looking at her just say, yep, it's a boy!!?? 

I'm okay with her friends to "pretend" to not realise she might be a girl, but I would've thought the "villains" would jump on that, since they are working to kick her out of the school. Oh well, I guess this way we get more school time shenanigans before the more serious political stuff takes over.  I just hope that in between we get a decent romance before they rip the leads apart with the usual politics!

17 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Don’t worry, I’m actually here for spoilers! Since this is a remake, I think the main story will be the same, so I’m watching it for the actors/chemistry. Also, like I mentioned before, I love Ju Jing Yi and Richard Wang. I think Ju Jing Yi has great chemistry with her co-stars, and she is cute without being annoying or childish. 

Richard Wang is very good for this role, He does the comedy/lighter parts well, so he is a good distraction from the very wooden ML.  

@WinCee mentioned that there isn’t much jealousy from the ML, and that has been a bit of a bummer for me. I mean, couldn’t they at least make the ML suspect it or drop him a clue so he starts to see her differently??? I don’t think hinting at BL is problematic, as Doctor Cutie (cdrama) is also a gender bender with a plot like MDBTC and the ML similarly struggles to understand his feelings. (Although suspending your disbelief is taken to new levels in Doctor Cutie. There’s a scene where she’s literally dressed as a woman but draws a moustache on her face and he can’t tell she’s a woman :huh:)

Let me know once you get to the courtesan part! I’m dying for them to get the OTP started!

I love a drama with a *cutely* jealous ML so I'm a bit disappointed I feel like I'm missing out!  And now I might have to go watch Doctor Cutie and the magical moustache!

Isn't it 36 episodes? That's why. But yes I noticed the ML doesn't seem to have this intense interest in the FL. Not brotherly interest but the unwilling attraction towards a male. I am not even into those sort of dramas but you guys know what I mean right? The mildang or opposites attract on screen. I don't see the torn, conflicted dilemma from the ML.

Yes I did watch SKKS enough that I was chasing the episodes as it aired. And even know remember the plot. Its one of the most popular dramas I know and even now attracts new fans. Saying this as I still see a lot of interest in subbing it in other languages still.

But yeah the ML is so good looking but even the bed scene or room scene between the 2 males are not exciting. I remembered when the FL had to sleep with both guys in the Korean version. Man you could feel the sizzle.

I will watch this to the end just because I am curious. However it is not exciting enough for me to be impatient waiting for next week. 

6 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Isn't it 36 episodes? That's why. But yes I noticed the ML doesn't seem to have this intense interest in the FL. Not brotherly interest but the unwilling attraction towards a male. I am not even into those sort of dramas but you guys know what I mean right? The mildang or opposites attract on screen. I don't see the torn, conflicted dilemma from the ML.

Yes I did watch SKKS enough that I was chasing the episodes as it aired. And even know remember the plot. Its one of the most popular dramas I know and even now attracts new fans. Saying this as I still see a lot of interest in subbing it in other languages still.

But yeah the ML is so good looking but even the bed scene or room scene between the 2 males are not exciting. I remembered when the FL had to sleep with both guys in the Korean version. Man you could feel the sizzle.

I will watch this to the end just because I am curious. However it is not exciting enough for me to be impatient waiting for next week. 

Agree that the ML is sooooo good looking and the bed scene felt a bit flat, there was no tension between them at all. 

Ok @hush puppy you also think Le Xuan knows rite, that's why he egged the FL to go watch the meteor shower with ML on that deserted island. Maybe he hoped they'd fall in love but since she's still in male clothes... it'll take more than that.

@hush puppy @WinCee the lipstick bothered me so much! Why can't she have bare lips? And her bangs, it's too feminine. Lol yes there's strands of red hair too. But I didn't notice her eye makeup XD.

The ML, who is perfect in every way may not be so perfect after all, since it seems like he doesn't know how to express himself clearly, and isn't sociable either. Though I feel like he cares a bit too much for his Bin Di that it makes me a bit uncomfortable if Bin Di was really a guy.:sweat_smile:

Archived