[Drama 2019] Graceful Family, 우아한 가

icyphoenix

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, KDrM said:

I only watched the final episode. Can anybody tell me what Mo WS's final gift to his younger brother meant? Because it wasn't handkerchief like WS said, but brooch.

WJ is transgender and he loves dressing up in pretty clothes.  The handkerchief  was something which WJ had been very upset about losing but it would be a more masculine item.  So when WS gave him the brooch it was like he was saying in a quiet and meaningful way that he accepted his brother the way he is.

11 minutes ago, thistle said:

WJ is transgender and he loves dressing up in pretty clothes.  The handkerchief  was something which WJ had been very upset about losing but it would be a more masculine item.  So when WS gave him the brooch it was like he was saying in a quiet and meaningful way that he accepted his brother the way he is.

Ohhh, thanks. Because I only saw final episode, when WS said transgender CEO, I thought it was after the surgery. Like forcefully done by mother after she decided that WS is failure in her eyes.

Wow, isn't it like first time transgender character appeared in drama?

Well, definitely first for being one of main characters who is not a funny character. 

10 minutes ago, KDrM said:

Ohhh, thanks. Because I only saw final episode, when WS said transgender CEO, I thought it was after the surgery. Like forcefully done by mother after she decided that WS is failure in her eyes.

Wow, isn't it like first time transgender character appeared in drama?

Well, definitely first for being one of main characters who is not a funny character. 

Let's see if I can fill in and clear up a little:

• WJ is the younger brother who was trying to become a CEO while keeping his sexuality a secret.  He was married for six years but never had sex with his wife.  Like his parents, he always looked down on WS and acted superior to him.  His parents expected everything of him but he was living a life that he didn't really want.
  • WS is the older brother who was a film director.  He was rejected by everyone in his life except his younger sister (later found to be his aunt) SH.  He wasn't a failure after all since his movie won at Cannes after he died but since no one believed in him, no one expected him to do anything.
  • The mom and the dad both hated WS and constantly told him he wasn't good enough.  They both loved WJ and constantly praised him.

I'm not sure whether this transgender characterization was a first but it was an unusual choice for a drama.

I guess the final episode might be good as a stand-alone watch.  But there's a whole lot of stuff that leads up to it.  And the lead-up was much better.

I am going to write some stuff that comes to mind while watching the last 3 episodes today. No need to read. Half of it probably gets answered a bit later anyway^^

I am starting Ep 14 right now. I didnt watch it last week because with Ms Han getting arrested so easily it was obviously wasnt over and it's probably all going to shambles agian soon. So i didnt want to wait a week for the next episodes. 

Okay.. What about the other Top employees? Are we going to pretend they are innocent? I am pretty sure there is incriminating stuff against them as well. Or against top as an institution. If they get a search warrant against top they are pretty much done. I feel like if they manage to get Ms Han arrested this should be way easier.
Try to shut it down for now at least. It's kind of obvious that they are going to work against them. I guess that there is that problem that noone really knows who controls it, how it works etc. I guess it's owned by the company. And the ceo is on Ms Han's side and Mr Mo is too dumb.

Oh finally we have some sweetness again 

So they are just leaving all the evidence on the desk and go eat lunch??

Oh god i am so ready to see the whole family burn.

Omg i love Sukhee at funerals :wub:

Still not quite sure if Ms Han enjoys to see people suffer or if she thinks she must rule with an iron fist and make everyone afraid of top. It's obviously going to bite her in the richard simmons with the prosecutor son. If she pushed a little a less it might have been fine, now she has him as her enemy. Who knows if they otherwise would have ever gotten the documents from the old murder case.
I guess she is not able to understand human emotions. And i mean what if the prosecutor father decides to kill her first before he commits suicide. It gets kinda hard to make calculations if you push people to their limits.

LOL they are going full makjang. I love it. I never even thought of this. And it's quite a hit for Mr Mo. But wow this is quite a incestious family we got here. (for the lack of a better word)
Time to say goodbye to the image of the grandfather in the first few episodes as well. It brings some new light to her mom as well. And it makes me wonder what kind of relationship the mom had with Mr Wang. Was that all consentual? Anyhow there might be some causes for her mental illness.
And i am starting to think that Mr Mo actually might have no children of his own. Which would be pretty sweet because that would be the ultimate blow for him. As well as for his wife. And it would kind of fit the theme.

Watching ep 15 now.

Some more sweetness :)

Interesting to see Ms Han's totalitarian ideology spelled out. We rarely see that. And the newsreporter even calls the other ones "comrades". 

Oh god the scenes with the grandfather are so creepy now. But always great to have an ost in full length. And great scene for Im Soohyang. And i always appreciate when there is some "ugly" crying rather than this single kdrama tear.

The family isnt even that surprised that she is their aunt/sister. And the waitresses keep a straight face through all of it. I guess they are used to this :D

Those scenes with Sukhee shaking things up at the dinner table are always great.

So i guess he really is Ms Han's son? :D This is getting better and better. From the interactions they had it doesnt really make sense but that look from Ms Han was a bit telling. At least it wouldnt surprise me anymore.

Ok wow we got some extra long finale. That's the cool thing when a drama is filmed while airing and gets such good ratings. I am normally not a fan, but it works really well here. In Hotel del Luna for example it rather hurt them and it obstructed them to tell a more conclusive story at the end.

Ah ok.. So Ms Ahn isnt her mom. Was i the only one who got that wrong? I mean i was a bit surprised by the lack of shock that the wife had a child with the stepfather :D
I still dont really get it though. So Mr Wang had Sukhee with some unknown mistress and gave the child to Mrs Ahn? But how did she explain that? Was she pregnant and had a miscarriage? I think i must have missed something.

Yes! Always fun when they start to make some moves that work out.

At this point it's pretty undisputable that Sukhee would be better for the company. If Ms Han really cared about the company, all the people who work there, stability and all the richard simmons she talked about earlier..

I am actually pretty happy about who turned out to be the murderer and how it happened. It's a pretty well written broken character with some ambiguity. Very much in contrast to most of the rest of the family who are pretty much one note. But i dont think i like the suicide. Might be a hit for his mom though so that's good.
The police lets him alone so he can kill himself. I guess it's back to controlling the traffic for the officer... lol

1-2 years in prison for the top employees. That's so ridiculous that it might be realistic. But i would like to add some things like murder to that list. Didnt they find any digital evidence at their servers?

It was pretty anticlimatic now. I would have wished for a bit more grand moments when they got arrested.

Oh god "And now is the time of the principle empathy" Uhmm that doesnt make an organization like top any better.
As expected i dont like the Ms Han storyline. One has to take responsibility bla bla bla. Not satisfying. But at least they dont give her some misguided redemption where she suddenly feels bad in the last 20 minutes of the drama.

How is this supposed to be not connected to MC group and how is the reputation supposed to not take any damage? Didnt they have a recording where she orders the killing? Or what happened with that? Just get judge lee back from overseas. Idk it's not like Ms Han and top were particularly clever at hiding the traces.

And what's about all the connections to the prosecution, judges, politicans etc.. They must have had tons of incriminating material on them. And evidence for blackmailing them or making deals with them. 

The scenes with the 2 in jail were good. Still not really satisfying. Although the mom losing her unloved child did help. It's just hard when especially she was always this carricature of evil. 

A few years later and twice - fancy still running in the radio^^

Okay the romance feels weird. I guess they both needed some time and space. We can only make a bunch of assumptions. There are so many gaps to fill. And their relationship never really was explicitly romantic besides that one kiss. We can only guess. Their reunion was fun and sweet. I just think they missed a lot of potential because their chemistry was great.

So after the ratings success they are leaving the possibility for a second season open. From a writers perspective it now makes a lot more sense that they let Ms Han off so easily as well. So it's going to be the leads fighting for the powerless against some new elitist organization led by Ms Han.
Hm idk. They have great chemistry as a team and for romance. But Ms Han and top were never the appealing part about the drama for me.

Feels like they changed some stuff. I think i might have liked the original version better.

Now i need to read like 15 unread pages since last week.

I’m watching episode 16 now, and after SH’s mum was really nice to him, WJ was still a jerk to SH? What an A-Hole!

update: seeing that horrible mother and son get led off by the police is rather satisfying.  Seeing TOP team’s jaws drop even more so.

second update: ms Han is making a mockery of her white womens suffrage colours.:rage:

third update: so, Main Couple spent 4 years apart and they didn’t even keep in touch?

I did not like that WS was the murderer, emotionally-speaking. His character was well-written plus the actor's portrayal made him likeable (makes me wanna see some of this guy's work). It's my first time to have sympathy towards a murderer. He's like a Van Gogh (but more adorable) whose work nobody really appreciated until he's gone. It is truly tragic that he never got the love, acceptance and appreciation he wanted until after his death. P.S. The fact that he died on my birthday makes it even more terrible. :tears:

I admit that the show made a strong ending with the plot twist though. In SH's pursuit of justice for losing the one she loves, she lost another important person. And in the end, I think the show showed us that, in the hands of men, there is really no such thing as 'fair justice'. We humans, afterall, are biased creatures. But heaven has another way of giving justice---I'm sure Mrs Han and WS will feel terrible guilt and loss (not only the loss of WS but the loss of oppprtunity to show him that they also love and appreciate him) for the rest of their lives. 

The show's an 8-9/10 for me. Average cinematography, great cast, great writing (a lot of remarkable lines) and good directing. Fashion and set design is a plus. There are scenes that were kinda hurried and those that aren't really needed but I think these are minor blunders so still acceptable to me. 

Does the post credit scene mean we have another season? TBH, I want another season but I don't think it will be as good as the first one. I'd be satisfied with just a special episode though where we have little SH's and YD's playing with SH, YD, grandpa and grandma. Hehe. 

Sigh. I'm gonna truly miss this show.

Now, I wanna take my loss gracefully like Ms Han if you're still interested. Anybody got a picasso photo I can use? Lol :lol:

2 hours ago, ii panda said:

Now, I wanna take my loss graceful like Ms Han i f you're still interested. Anybody got a picasso photo I can use? Lol

Do you want to borrow the fishy Picasso gif I used for my DP?  I still think it's really funny.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Do you want to borrow the fishy Picasso gif I used for my DP?  I still think it's really funny.

I give Picasso the honors of being my first dp. We ol good? How long do I have to carry Picasso again? :lol:

On 10/18/2019 at 1:59 AM, guinearoyal said:

He was a very tragic figure in that could have been a great person had he been raised right. There was potential, but it was destroyed by the family.

Kudos to the actor who played WS though, he did a fantastic job in keeping all the viewers guessing. I wonder if he knew from the get go about the plot twist, cause when I look back, he left a lot of clues that hinted the whole time.

Mo Wan Soo is such a tragic character. It turns out that he really suffered psychologically and emotionally from his mother mostly. His mother was a nurse and as such she should have known better than anyone how to treat people especially her own child. But then again I think she is also suffering psychologically and emotionally and it reflected on Wan Soo more than towards Wan Joon who in the eyes of his parents was perfect.

If his mother had only loved them both equally, Wan Soo would have turned out a very successful and happy person. It is sad that during a psychological outburst he accidentally killed Seok Hee's mother. And in the end he killed himself. Very sad ending but not totally surprising.

What I hate the most is Ms. Han just getting 4 years, since she knew the law and how to outwit it. Another thing is the fact that although Yeon Doo's mother was cleared of  the crime, she was not justly compensated for the 15 years she was in prison. The ending was really fast tracked. Though they put closure in all the aspects the last episode leaves something of a bitter taste and that feeling of emptiness as if there is something missing. :flushed::confused::bawling:

Recogition for Wan Soo's greatness despite his emotional and psychological wants came too late.

Good drama though ... 16 episode dramas are really much better than very very long ones.:blush:

19 minutes ago, ii panda said:

I give Picasso the honors of being my first dp. We ol good? How long do I have to carry Picasso again? :lol:

I kept it for a day but I think that only a few people decided to change their DPs.  I thought the spitting fish was really funny anyhow--that was how I felt when I saw the finale.  :P

6 minutes ago, thistle said:

I kept it for a day but I think that only a few people decided to change their DPs.  I thought the spitting fish was really funny anyhow--that was how I felt when I saw the finale.  :P

I'm gonna change my dp to WS after 24 hours then. Picasso is not gonna get more love from me than my happy pill (Mo Wan Soo) despite his giving me a bitter aftertaste.

1 hour ago, ii panda said:

I'm gonna change my dp to WS after 24 hours then. Picasso is not gonna get more love from me than my happy pill (Mo Wan Soo) despite his giving me a bitter aftertaste.

I kinda think that this was just an "honor" call--we could chose to change or not.  If you want to change to WS, I'd say go for it.  You honored the notion of changing to Picasso for at least a little while; that should be sufficient.  WS will make a great dp.  :) 

1 hour ago, thistle said:

I kinda think that this was just an "honor" call--we could chose to change or not.  If you want to change to WS, I'd say go for it.  You honored the notion of changing to Picasso for at least a little while; that should be sufficient.  WS will make a great dp.  :) 

Honestly I really enjoyed seeing everyone change their profiles and then seeing those people on other threads. Not many people understood why people randomly had fishes and tofu so I enjoyed the inside joke. I'm also gonna miss my tofu kiss DP, that kiss was hot.

The more I think about it, the more bothered I feel about the ending of our drama because, despite appearances to the contrary, Evil won.

YD's mom got out of jail but she got No justice for the time she lost.

SH and YD might be in love but she left him for years anyway.

YD had the chance to do great good by re-creating Top but he left the job.

SH became CEO but she didn't even try and left it to someone else. 

SH tried to go to law school but failed. (Why did she even need to go anyway?) 

Second Wife lost her eldest son but only cried tears for herself.

Second Wife went to jail but not for long enough.

Second Son lost his brother but was too distracted by pretty jewelry to care.

Second Son also went to jail but, ditto, not long enough.

Mr. Mo should also have gone to prison but escaped by being in a vegetative coma.

Han went to prison but for a far shorter sentence than her illegal acts should have received.

Other Top members may have also gone to jail but, again, with very light sentences.

Seriously, did all of the prison sentences added together even add up to the number of hears that Lim Soon served for a murder that she had absolutely nothing to do with?

For all of the suffering that SH and YD individually went through in their formative years and as adults, did they get any happiness at all of being in love?  No, they chose to go their separate ways to do essentially futile things.

Worst of all, WS did not choose to live to seek forgiveness and to find redemption.  He was the kindest person whose one mistake was a very serious one.  If he had been allowed to tell the truth right away instead of living with the agony of guilt, how much good could he have achieved?   And what a great person could he have been if only his parents had believed in him from the beginning.

We never did find out why WS's parents hated him from the start.

We never did find out what motivated Han.

There are unanswered questions that really rankle.

In the end, all we see is the old Top Team scuttling away like so many cockroaches.  And we all surely know that cockroaches can survive anything, even a nuclear blast.

In the end, all of the good people chose to do smaller and less important things than the big things that they had fought so hard to achieve.  They didn't even choose love.

I don't like it when Evil wins.  Real Life is hard enough so I try to find some happiness in fiction.  In my dramas, I want to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I want to see hope rather than despair.  I want to see goodness, courage, and hard work rewarded.  And, more than anything, I want to see true love.

I didn't get what I was hoping for.  This drama goes onto my Disappointment List. 

.....and now I'm trying to move on.  I'm re-watching One Spring Night where at least, thank goodness, love prevails.

I see what the writers did! Did anyone else catch this?

WS's suicide announcement on TV coincided with the news that his film won the Cannes Film Festival award, which ironically made him the most successful Mo family member in public accomplishment, which of course his mother will now have to live with. I wonder if this minor plot twist was an homage to Paradise, the Korean Film, which won the actual Cannes Film Festival award for best picture, the first by a Korean in its history.

The plot of Paradise, written and directed by Bong Joon Ho, is about the tragic circumstances surrounding the fate of a family who conspire to take over the service positions of a wealthy chaebol family, very similar to the Mo family.

Clever, writers!

(EDIT: Or was WS's character based upon Bong himself? Only Kwon Min Soo and Park Min Kyung know for sure ;))

1 hour ago, ii panda said:

I can't change my dp to WS afterall.. Or at least, not now. I feel so sad seeing him. I'll just keep the fish for a little while. 

Understandable.  I really did have a nightmare after seeing how WS ended.  So sad.  So unfair.  Such a bad choice on the part of the writer.

Great actor, though.  I wonder what else he has been in.  Will have to find out.

Enjoy the spitting fishie.  He's funny and cute. 

Archived