[Drama 2019] Graceful Family, 우아한 가

icyphoenix

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thistle said:

Apparently it's a Korean custom to eat tofu upon being released from prison.  It's supposed to be purifying.

Lifetime vegetarian here.  No fried fish for me.

But I could sure eat some tofu!  :D

Aha now i remember didn't she eat tofu after getting released from prison.. so that's what its al about.. thank you for letting me know i was so lost :joy:

im still so sad for WS my heart just hurts.. and im boiling with anger because of Han.. she deserved so much worse..

i'm just completely sad and angry at this ending.. but i'm happy that Soohyang's drama did well 

@ktcjdrama and @mylovekge thanks for the information on the episode. Four years are insufficient for the 15 (?) years that Ms. Han took from the male lead’s mother. I can’t see myself being satisfied with her story resolution because it doesn’t seem like she suffered any “real” consequences for her actions. I’m often annoyed with writers who make us sit through 15.5 episodes/16 episodes of watching antagonists like Han wield absolute power by crushing everyone only to deliver a lame punishment in the end. However, I think I pretty much said before that I knew the punishment would be sorely lacking.

I was hoping I was wrong for the whole show that WS had not actually killed the mom, but I had a sneaking suspicion that something was seriously wrong with him and that he was acting more like he felt guilty for something. The backflash when he hugged SH was a big indicator that he felt guilty, but I was still hoping that he would turnout to be a good guy.

But it does explain partly why he was so nice to SH, he felt guilty for what he had done and in his own dissolute way tried to make up for it, but at the same time he couldn't face the consequences. Him killing himself made sense, facing the face that he killed someone meant that he himself had to acknowledge that he was a failure and when he did, in his mind there was no point living after that. He was desperate to prove himself and to show everyone that he was not the failure that everyone saw him as. And there is no worse failure than being a murderer, there is no coming back from that.

He was a very tragic figure in that could have been a great person had he been raised right. There was potential, but it was destroyed by the family.

Kudos to the actor who played WS though, he did a fantastic job in keeping all the viewers guessing. I wonder if he knew from the get go about the plot twist, cause when I look back, he left a lot of clues that hinted the whole time.

Wait...wait...what?  I don't think WS is the murder ...till i don't watch the ep. Nooooo it can't be. Are you sure. I think ms.Han told him that iin order to make him know that if she wanted he cold be the murder. Am i crazy? or what?

29 minutes ago, camichi said:

Wait...wait...what?  I don't think WS is the murder ...till i don't watch the ep. Nooooo it can't be. Are you sure. I think ms.Han told him that iin order to make him know that if she wanted he cold be the murder. Am i crazy? or what?

I just watched the raw.  Unless I missed something, WS was the murderer.  He acted out in rage and didn't realize what he had done until AJR was collapsed in his arms.  He was very shocked.  It was an awful scene but it also left me feeling a bit sorry for him because his family had essentially cursed him from the start, so it was almost inevitable that WS would go wrong in a big way.  

It's time to go crazy posting Picasso.  ;)

46 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Four years are insufficient for the 15 (?) years that Ms. Han took from the male lead’s mother.

Very.  But she also did so many other things wrong--most notably ordering the murder of Grandpa Mo, and Han didn't suffer for any of that.  It's just WRONG.

However, I am not as angry as other posters are about the ending but I do honestly feel quite let down because of the too-easy treatment that Han received.  It was deeply disappointing to see and her little team have a gloat at the end.

I was very glad to see JW (no dresses for you!) and especially Mrs. Ha suffering in jail.  

All the good guys seemed happy enough at the end, although that extremely vanilla kiss was extremely vanilla.

I am left wondering whether the producers were thinking of a special episode if the ratings were high enough to justify since they left the ending for the Evil Top Team open.  But since we got a two-hour finale, maybe we're just done the way things are.  :::::shrug:::::

Anyway, at least I'm enjoying the novelty of my spitting Picasso DP. :P

Watching raw. When the dad walked in on murder scene, it seems he thought that the wife had done it because both the wine and art book were bday presents from hers and at the crime scene so he deduced it was her and called ha to cover it up. I think at that point only ha knew who was real killer by cleaning up evidence and such.

@thistle, I’m very glad to hear WJ is in jail though I don’t know why. :sweatingbullets: I seriously disliked him and his mother. Small triumphs I guess.

With the big Evil triumphing to the end the rewatch value has seriously plummeted for me. Many times I think Korean writers who choose these types of plot should seriously sit down and watch the Chinese drama Nirvana in Fire. Formidable and deadly villains who were brought to justice by 10 years of carefully laid plans by the brilliant yet tragic protagonist.

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I’m very glad to hear WJ is in jail though I don’t know why. :sweatingbullets: I seriously disliked him and his mother. Small triumphs I guess.

I couldn't tolerate him either.  The thing that annoyed me was his superior attitude.  It was the way he simpered and smirked around anyone he thought was lower than him, like he thought he was ten-feet-tall and bulletproof because mommy and daddy liked him better.  People like that can tend to be bullies and they certainly want taking down a peg or two.

It was extremely vexing that his monster mother was so nasty to her eldest son and so obvious about it.  The way that she shrieked when she considered herself hard-done-by was the Worst, and I wondered each time why someone didn't slap the hysteria out of her.  It might have done her some good to find out she wasn't all-powerful.

The two of them seemed so slimy about enjoying making other people suffer.  In a way, they were More offensive even than Han.  Han did the "dirty" work but they were the ones who made her do so.  If there were no Evil Mo Family members, there would be no Horrible Han.

There are real people out there running around this earth who are far too much like Mrs. Ha and JW.  That's why we find them so offensive--it's something we can relate to, something that makes us want to pull our hair out.  Dramas offer us a great way to express our inexpressible rage and frustration, don't they?  The characters in this one are certainly good for that.

Out of the whole twisted family, I found WS one of the most interesting characters. Mostly as he really did not have a mean streak compared to the rest of them, when he was stable, he was very much an okay guy. His issues, I believe, stemmed from emotional and verbal abuse. Which is why he lost it with SH's Mom. He was bound to snap at some point mentally, it just happened in the worst possible way and at the worst possible time. 

But that leads me to another reason WS ultimately killed himself. 

Out of everyone in the whole family, SH was the only one who expressed to him that he was not a failure and that he had capability. When he was caught for the murder, he lost the one person who had believed in him wholeheartedly. Plus, from what I have been able to glean from the show, he was nice to her even before her mother died. Meaning he genuinely liked her as a family member. So losing her, meant losing everything that made his life worthwhile. 

11 minutes ago, guinearoyal said:

Out of everyone in the whole family, SH was the only one who expressed to him that he was not a failure and that he had capability. When he was caught for the murder, he lost the one person who had believed in him wholeheartedly. Plus, from what I have been able to glean from the show, he was nice to her even before her mother died. Meaning he genuinely liked her as a family member. So losing her, meant losing everything that made his life worthwhile. 

Well-said.  That was what made WS truly a tragic character.  He was flawed; he had made a horrible mistake.  But he was still kind.  He only wanted to be loved and accepted, and especially so by the person who would never do so:  his mother.  It is awful that he felt that he had betrayed SH.  His loss at the end was so sad.

Watching with subs now. I jumped to the trial part. Han indeed got a 4-year sentence. She willingly turned in the evidences to Prosecutor Joo so that he can be successful in putting her behind bars with a condition that MC Group will not be affected at all with her trial. Her steadfast loyalty to this MC Group (the company) is really something...

The prosecutor asked for 5 years tampering evidence in AJR's case, 3 years for bribing civil servants thus obstructing the conduct of public affairs (justice in this case), 5 years for instructing the murder of MWP, 2 years for fraud. Total of 15 years. She admitted to all the charges and did not even want to make a closing statement in her defense. However, the judge's ruling was that instruction of murder is insufficient evidence, so only for the other charges that she got fined, and 4 years of jail time <_<

Her team member I think got punished too, although we don't see it. Han stated each of their possible serving time during her "farewell speech" to them. The team leader 2 years, the short hair lady 1 year, long hair lady 6 months, the young guy 1 year. Han said that is the fate they must accept when they have chosen to be in TOP ~ whaaaat? so once again confirming that they knowingly commit crimes that are punishable by law <_<

5 hours ago, thistle said:

I do honestly feel quite let down because of the too-easy treatment that Han received.  It was deeply disappointing to see and her little team have a gloat at the end.

Same here. URGH!

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

With the big Evil triumphing to the end the rewatch value has seriously plummeted for me.

Same here. URGH! It could've made it into my top 10 rewatch.

ETA:

HYS got 1 year for stealing AJR's work and fraud.

WJ got 2 years for unfair transactions and internal transactions.

Anneyeong everyone... So addicted to this drama since day 1. I love how strong and fierce our female lead is although she stumbled a lot of times. I deeply despise Ms Han though I so much admire the actress that played her. The last time I've watched Lee Jang woo he was the villain playing opposite one of  my fave actor Ji Chang wook in Smile Dong hae so its refreshing to see him play a good guy for a change.  have yet to watch the final episode but I kinda watched some spoilers on twitter. Like everyone else, I was really wishing Wan soon wasn't the killer but it only make sense he'd be the guilty one. He was after all the closest to SH. Need to watch the finale episode before I say anything more.

And the finale episode got 8.478%... What a nice way to end the drama 

It's no secret that we were all pretty annoyed/disappointed/distressed (choose whichever term fits or  add a different one) by various parts of the finale.

So, here's the question:  Exactly how annoyed were You?

Me?  I made a cake, and I ate about 1/3 of it for supper.  :P  That should score pretty high on the Annoyed Scale. :lol:

..............I still can't find subs yet on the not-legal sites.  So frustrating.

.....There are subs!  Yes! 

Archived