[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

On 5/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, TotoroSY said:

Crush sang his CLOY OST "Let Us Go" during a live session today! The song is so wonderful! It's at 29:35 in the video. He started with acapella, really so nice.

Thank you thank you for this @totoroSY - i have been looking and looking for these performances by the original artists from the OST soundtrack but can only find covers on youtube. My favorite is All My Days by Sejeong. 

4 hours ago, BinJinSsi said:
On 5/15/2020 at 12:18 AM, TotoroSY said:

Crush sang his CLOY OST "Let Us Go" during a live session today! The song is so wonderful! It's at 29:35 in the video. He started with acapella, really so nice.

Thank you thank you for this @totoroSY - i have been looking and looking for these performances by the original artists from the OST soundtrack but can only find covers on youtube. My favorite is All My Days by Sejeong. 

I love all the songs in CLOY! Very nostalgic and emotional songs, suited to the story and characters. It was really nice to watch the live performance for Let Us Go by Crush, and how everyone in the recording cheered and clapped after he finished it. I realise as he sang it that it was not an easy song to sing. But he nailed it!

Have not seen any live version of All My Days by Sejeong yet. The only other live singing was by IU for I give you my heart, but it was only a short rendition during an interview..... wish she had sang the whole song.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, NYXbaby said:

Does anyone know if there will be a link to watch the live stream of the  Baeksang Awards? 

I live in Canada...so it would be midnight for me when the awards is on. 

I saw this on tweeter. Hope this link will work for Baeksang live stream! Let's all start to register for Vlive now to get prepared!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

@anney I haven’t seen most of HB and SYJ’s work either esp those that aren’t on Netflix. CLOY definitely has become a big boost on their acting resumes and will be one of their most iconic roles. Capt Ri has become the standard of being the perfect boyfriend (sorry boys!) and Seri is that girlboss and fashion icon! I think HB is more on dramas while SYJ dominates the movies. If HB can’t be king of anything he can settle being the king of our hearts for now. Lol 

I’ve also been lurking on the BINJIN thread but I couldn’t really keep up with the discussion as they tend to go fast so I just lurk lol 

I also have a tough time watching their other dramas cause I couldn’t bear to see them with other onscreen partners yet lol but I did watch MoA though 

totally understand hahaha! From what i heard/read...I guess MoA doesn't focus too much on the romance part at least heh.

22 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

Nice to see this thread active again!! Well, whenever I get interested in a subject matter, I spent hours googling and reading up about it. For example. cuz of CLOY, I have read countless articles and watched countless videos about North Korea, NK defectors stories etc etc. It was so interesting. Same for Baeksang, because of CLOY, I googled and compared results of different dramas and actors to see the trend LOL!! Yes, I can be quite crazy like that. Previously I have also spent hours on The Lord of The Rings and Game of Thrones. :D

*High 5* fellow LOTR fan!! Haven't watch GoT yet as I've no HBO haha. Talking about LOTR...remember when they swept the Academic Awards back then? It was nearly unheard of back then right for a fantasy genre to win Best Picture? Yet they did, along with many other awards! So who knows...as much as people may put a tight reign on their expectations for CLOY at Baeksang because it's a "rom-com"..never say never eh? I personally feel it's unjust to push aside a film/drama just because of its particular genre. A job well done is a job well done, regardless of the genre and I hope awarding bodies will start to look beyond the genre names.

22 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

The writer, and HB, has really created the "perfect boyfriend" in Captain Ri. One drama blogger said this was HB's most SWOONABLE role. And I totally agree. It's no wonder all the ladies from different countries are swooning crazily over HB, courtesy of his role as RJH. Plus it helps that HB does give the same vibes as RJH.

You are right that SYJ is the Queen of Melodrama cuz of her roles in movies (and also dramas but mainly movies) - The Classic,  A Moment to Remember, Summer Scent (drama) etc. Have never heard of King of Melodrama before hahaha! But I think some media do call HB as the King of Romcom or Romance? It's true that he got very popular through this genre of dramas, from My Name if Kim Sam Soon, to Secret Garden and now the 3rd wave CLOY. Actually for CLOY, both of them acted roles that's a bit different from their usual :

- SYJ - YSR is a comedic and funny role, on top of the melodrama in the later part of the series. Quite different from her previous image on screen

- HB - RJH is so gentlemanly and understanding, softspoken and caring (through his actions). Again very different from his most famous roles of rich chaebol heir who is arrogant and quite a jerk LOL!

Actually you are right. SYJ is probably one of the most prolific SK movie actress of her time and has won countless awards. Even HB has given a lot of respect to her during their interviews together, whether for the movie Negotiation or CLOY. As for HB, he is more well-known within dramas and yes, it's a big deal that he is still the youngest actor/ actress to have won the TV Daesang at Baeksang. He did get nominated a number of times for Best Actor at Baeksang but have lost to other actors, except the year he got Daesang. As for movies, he hasn't been as active until recent years, where he seems to have chosen the route of action roles. In his earlier movie years, he acted in more smaller independent films with more melo/ dramatic roles. He might still pick up this type of roles in movies in the future.

I hope so!! he's already so naturally swoon-worthy that any well-written characters in a romance drama/film would make him the golden standard of a life partner for many lol. 

On the topic about lead characters in k-dramas...has it been a long on-going trend/norm where the male leads are usually rich, proud, cold and domineering and the female leads are damsels in distress, the average girl next door, etc.. Wonder if that was a very common/typical characteristics for k-drama leads in the past decade? Maybe the landscape is changing but I wonder if one of the many reasons people find CLOY very refreshing is because of how different RJH & YSR's characters are written - both on equal footing in terms of giving in the relationship, equal backgrounds (political power & money power), both equally smart, capable and sacrificial. It's not like one of them is better than the other but they're both so strong, likeable and endearing individually (which is amazing despite their past) And when they come together, they don't take away what each other already have, but they add on to each other in a healthy, mature way. I mean...i honestly hope someone can give me ANY reference of a k-drama with anything close to how these 2 characters are written - because I would genuinely like to check it out. But for now, I know of none yet. And to me personally, this is one big reason why CLOY works so well. So i hope CLOY will also be the precedent & trend-setter for future k-drama leads..cause man, we seriously need more strong women characters, less jerky-male leads and better examples of what a healthy relationship is like haha.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, anney said:

*High 5* fellow LOTR fan!! Haven't watch GoT yet as I've no HBO haha. Talking about LOTR...remember when they swept the Academic Awards back then? It was nearly unheard of back then right for a fantasy genre to win Best Picture? Yet they did, along with many other awards! So who knows...as much as people may put a tight reign on their expectations for CLOY at Baeksang because it's a "rom-com"..never say never eh? I personally feel it's unjust to push aside a film/drama just because of its particular genre. A job well done is a job well done, regardless of the genre and I hope awarding bodies will start to look beyond the genre names.

WOW! You are a LOTR fan too? I was almost fanatical about it during the airing of the movies. Read the 3 huge books TWICE. Have 2 copies of it, cuz need to lend one copy to friends. And joined all the different forums and read LOTR fan experts dissection of every detail LOL! I love fantasy genre! Yes, LOTR really broke all the preconceive ideas and boxes set by award predictors. I am also hoping hard that CLOY can have that same impact at Baeksang and K-ent and beyond. Sometimes, a product need to make its fame outside of the country before it can be acknowledged back in its own homeland. Not that CLOY was not popular in SK,  but I do think it is even more popular and reviewed positively abroad in other regions.

1 hour ago, anney said:

On the topic about lead characters in k-dramas...has it been a long on-going trend/norm where the male leads are usually rich, proud, cold and domineering and the female leads are damsels in distress, the average girl next door, etc.. Wonder if that was a very common/typical characteristics for k-drama leads in the past decade? Maybe the landscape is changing but I wonder if one of the many reasons people find CLOY very refreshing is because of how different RJH & YSR's characters are written - both on equal footing in terms of giving in the relationship, equal backgrounds (political power & money power), both equally smart, capable and sacrificial. It's not like one of them is better than the other but they're both so strong, likeable and endearing individually (which is amazing despite their past) And when they come together, they don't take away what each other already have, but they add on to each other in a healthy, mature way. I mean...i honestly hope someone can give me ANY reference of a k-drama with anything close to how these 2 characters are written - because I would genuinely like to check it out. But for now, I know of none yet. And to me personally, this is one big reason why CLOY works so well. So i hope CLOY will also be the precedent & trend-setter for future k-drama leads..cause man, we seriously need more strong women characters, less jerky-male leads and better examples of what a healthy relationship is like haha.

I think that was a pretty standard Kdrama trope ML = rich heirs who are kinda a jerk, but usually have a troubled history that made them that way, meeting the FL who's poor and struggling. But that's probably more prevalent back in the early 2000s to 2010s. It's slowly shifting, with more balance between the FL and ML in terms of status and "power" of influence. And I do agree that CLOY's FL and ML is actually quite different, though they still have some similar tropes, like both are from rich or influential background ie the elites in society. Big difference is how YSR is an independent successful woman and RJH is not the jerk rich heir, but instead is quiet and stoic, and always treat YSR very a very gentlemanly way and protecting her, and proud of her achievements instead of being insecure about it. One reviewer pointed out that RJH is more like the usual Kdrama 2nd ML who's the nicer guy vs the ML, but never wins the girl. I found that so true!! I think we might be able to find this type of new era FL and ML in recent Kdramas RomCom, but I need to think more about it - can't think of one immediately, esp one with high profile like CLOY (maybe some other posters here may give some suggestions).

And also while I was googling about CLOY's success and impact in Japan, I found this VOGUE JAPAN article about how RJH is the post #MeToo era type of hero, which compliments the current modern independent and successful woman, as represented by YSR. That's why many career ladies in Japan has fallen for the RiRi love story and also fallen hard for Captain Ri, cuz that's the type of boyfriend/ life partner they are looking for to support them. I posted it at Binjin thread but somehow didn't post it here.

Here it is, with auto-translate in the spoiler. It's a very good read and makes a lot of sense why CLOY love story and the characters of RJH and YSR is so relatable to the modern woman.

https://www.vogue.co.jp/change/article/crash-landing-on-you

The post #MeToo era heroes portrayed by the Korean drama 'Love's Emergency Arrival'.

BY RENGE JIBU
April 14, 2020.

The Korean drama "Love's Crash Landing," currently on Netflix, has garnered enthusiastic support from independent women in particular, and is becoming a social phenomenon that transcends national borders. What is the "future" reflected in the storytelling that goes beyond the mere melodrama of men and women? Journalist Renge Jibe, who is an expert on gender issues, unravels this innovation.

The popularity of the Korean drama "Love's Crash Landing" continues, and it remains in the top 10 overall on Netflix seven weeks after its release and is in third place as of April 14, the date of writing. The main theme is the love that crosses the 38th degree line between North Korean officer Lee Jong-hyuk (Hyun Bin) and South Korean female businesswoman Yoon Seri (Song Yejen). Jong-hyuk is a powerful man whose father is the head of the General Political Bureau, and Seri is the daughter of a zaibatsu warlord. It is indeed a modern version of "Romeo and Juliet".

It has a wide range of support beyond traditional Hallyu fans, especially from women with specialized skills. Around me, executives, corporate managers, editors, reporters, translators, lawyers, and researchers in various fields have seen "Untimely Landing" and talked about its appeal.

The scene that many people say is "my favorite" is near the end of the fourth episode. When Seri is lost in a North Korean market, Jong-hyuk comes looking for her with an aromatic candle in one hand. A few days ago he couldn't tell an ordinary candle from an aromatic candle, he said, "This time it's a scented candle. Am I right? He asks Seri.

This isn't just a "heartwarming scene".

First of all, we get a glimpse of Jung Hyuk's stubborn and honest half-life, which we didn't know about the aroma candles. In addition, he has the integrity not to say anything trite like "I was looking for you". Above all, it is important to make sure that what you are holding in your hands matches what the other person wants. This is where Jung Hyuk's attitude towards Seri, which runs through the entire drama, is expressed. When she's in trouble, it's natural for you to act on it. Most importantly, her will is respected.

The antithesis to "toxic masculinity".

In a melodrama-like fashion, the two are repeatedly separated and reunited. At that point, Jung Hyuk asked Seri, "Are you injured? We often ask, "What do you think? Even if you are going through unimaginable hardships, you insist that it's nothing and that you'll be fine.

He looks like an old-fashioned man, but his words and actions are very modern and appropriate for the post-MeToo era. It shows in the extreme restraint with which their romance proceeds. You can tell by the second or third episode that they have feelings for each other, but the relationship doesn't seem to get any further; the way the two over-30 men and women ride their bikes and look at each other and divert their attention from each other is like middle school.

(REST OF TEXT IN HIDDEN SPOILER)

If you look carefully, you'll notice that the role of deepening their romantic relationship is primarily played by Seri. When Seri crosses the military border in a paragliding accident and ends up in North Korea, she runs into Jong-hyuk, who is patrolling the outpost. She says after a few minutes of first meeting. I like your face.

Afterwards, Seri asks to take a commemorative photo with him, and when Jung Hyuk offers his hand for a handshake as they part ways, he says, "Why don't you hug me for the last time? However, Jung Hyuk has a fiancé that his parents decided on, and he tries to draw a line between him and Seri.

Living in one of Seoul's most exclusive residential areas, Seri has made a name for herself as an entertainer and athlete. I'm used to being in love. Jung Hyuk, on the other hand, is raw and earnest and has no experience in love. Its bookshelves are lined with "dark and difficult books" from Seri's point of view.

While the military setting and his bold actions to protect Seri seem traditionally "masculine," Jung Hyuk is devoid of any so-called "toxic masculinity. Toxic masculinity" refers to trying to hide emotions and weaknesses as "unmanly" while also acting violently against women. It's a concept that has been used in the fields of psychology and gender studies, but has also permeated the public.

What independent women want.

Far from being toxic, Jong Hyuk's words and actions are rather an antidote for Seri. For Seri, who has been traumatized by family relationships, his home-cooked meals and the company of others around the table are a form of mental rehabilitation. The scene where Seri, along with Jung Hyuk and his men in North Korea, deliciously eats burdock, ramen, shellfish, boiled eggs, grilled corn, fried tofu, etc. is impressive. In Seoul, I lived a life of "drinking only sauvignon blanc", but in North Korea, I'm drinking beer and shochu with everyone else in a delicious way.

The simple, happy-go-lucky meal scene in North Korea contrasts nicely with the scene of Seri not wearing chopsticks at all in front of a sumptuous meal at her parents' house in Seoul. A meal can be a delight because of the trust you have with those around you.

Jung Hyuk's kindness, which breaks her heart so that Seri can "eat well and sleep well," brings her heart to life and restores her trust in others. In addition, Jung Hyuk, who was initially aloof and expressionless, becomes concerned, mourns, and cries as his relationship with Seri progresses. Jung Hyuk himself regains the emotions he had been pushing away when he meets Seri, who expresses her feelings for him in a straightforward manner. It's a hope for the future.

The image of a man embodied in Jung Hyuk reflects the modern woman's wish that "my will be respected. Women who can live independently no longer need a man to "follow me". What the independent working women want now is rather like what Jung Hyuk says late in the story, on Seri's birthday.

It will be a happy day next year and the year after that and the year after that. Because that's what I think. Thank you for being born. Thank you for having a loved one in the world. So it should be a much happier birthday.

Despite being born into a wealthy family, Seri was unhappy because she felt that she was tormenting her beloved mother by being alive.... When Jung Hyuk said these words that affirmed the very existence that Seri needed the most, a big change was born in her.

The irreversible social change that visited Korea.

Why is such a heroic image being portrayed and supported now?

This reminds me of a story I heard last year from a male manager at a major Korean media outlet who I met at an international conference. He said, "The MeToo movement has fundamentally changed Korean society. There is no going back," he said. He spoke of the fact that one after another, men who had engaged in sexual violence against the backdrop of power or in exchange for favors, had left the political scene, saying, "We men have no choice but to accept this change in silence.

The heroic figure embodied by Lee Jong-hyuk can be said to be a modern-day prince who is a few steps ahead of the rapidly changing Korean society in terms of fantasy. Never ignore a woman's will to proceed with romantic behavior. She cherishes those near and dear to her and does not hide her grief or tears. They naturally embrace independent women with financial means and are quietly by their side.

By the way, the charm of this drama was that it carefully portrayed all the characters other than the two main characters. What I found particularly interesting was the "eavesdropper" mambok. He was portrayed as a symbol of North Korea's cruel political regime.

For 20 years, since the age of 17, Manbok has lived as the "ear" of the North Korean secret police, listening to conversations and other things through wiretaps planted in his house and car, and reporting them to the secret police. He is often called a "ear bastard" with a derogatory nickname, and his children are bullied. He has no freedom of choice in his occupation, and sometimes he is even forced to help take the lives of those closest to him.

The role he plays is so important that it can't be called a supporting role. It is Jung-hyuk's respect for Man-bok as a human being that leads him to make a brave decision near the climax. What is repeatedly portrayed in this drama in different forms is an important human love that transcends the differences between political systems. Many of them unfold throughout the house, in the living room, and at the dining table.

Now, in our normal lives, we are immersed in the news reports about the new coronavirus. Many businesses are closed, schools are closed, conferences and events have been cancelled or postponed. In the midst of anxious days, you can take a moment of solace by talking with a friend who is an untimely landing fan. After Corona is over, let's travel to Seoul," he said, encouraging the girls as he tapped away at his computer keyboard at home today.

During this extremely depressing time, between work at home and domestic labor, the drama "Love's Crash Landing" gave me hope like an aromatic candle in my heart. I, and my friends, would like to thank the performers and producers from the bottom of our hearts. It's because we were saved by the amazing content that came across the ocean as the virus spread across borders and unsettled the world.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Another Japan news article about CLOY, dated 21 May'20

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/90c711f00f39c8101dc71a803ba1a019cdac2597

- CLOY has been Top 10 for 10 weeks in Netflix Japan, and #1 ranking for the last 3 weeks (based on info up to May 18th)

- says many celebrities are addicted to it, and have been talking about it on their social media account

- a TV program on Fuji TV gave a 15-min commentary of why CLOY is so popular and cited the overwhelming popularity of Hyun Bin, the realistic portrayal of North Korea, and increased subscription due to Coronavirus lockdown

Here's the article via online translator :

Nozomi Sasaki and Tetsuko Kuroyanagi also raved about it! 'Love's Crash Landing' is popular in Japan

Japanese celebrities are addicted to the drama "Love's Emergency Landing" (tvN). 

Love's Unexpected Arrival, which brought down the curtain in February of this year with the highest ratings ever for any tvN drama, is gaining popularity in Japan, as Love's Unexpected Arrival, which was distributed exclusively in Japan through Netflix, has been on the TOP10 list for 10 consecutive weeks since it opened in February, and has been ranked #1 on Netflix's "Today's Overall TOP10 (Japan)" for three consecutive weeks (based on May 18) due to the emergency caused by the spread of the new coronavirus infection and the Golden Week's impact on viewers. 

Japanese celebrities have confessed to watching it one after another, and it has spread by word of mouth. It's a good thing that she's not the only one who's had a lot of fun. It's a great way to get a better idea of what's going on in your life. I watched all the episodes of "Love's Blundering Landing" and "Itaewin Class" in one go," she wrote. exceeded 240,000.

Saito Tsukasa of the comedy duo Trendy Angel is also known as a fan of Love's Crash Landing. Tsukasa Saito posted a video clip on his Instagram that parodied "Love's Landing" and received a lot of "likes". in the first half of the year. Tsukasa Saito touted his love for Hyun Bin with hashtags such as "#Love's untimely arrival # Hyun Bin # too manly # we have special training. 

In addition, the information program "Joho Presenter Tokudane! On May 18, "Love's Wrong Landing" (Fuji Television Network) gave a 15-minute commentary on why "Love's Wrong Landing" is so popular. The show cited the overwhelming popularity of Hyun Bin, the realistic portrayal of North Korea, and the increasing number of subscribers to the video distribution service as they refrained from going out due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection. 

Love's Crash" is a film about the absolutely top-secret romance between Yoon Seri (Song Ye Jin), a wealthy warlord who crash-lands in North Korea after a paragliding accident caused by a gust of wind, and Lee Jong Hyuk (Hyun Bin), a North Korean officer who falls in love with her while harboring her. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for posting these wonderful articles on CLOY! Great reads and makes me proud of the show! I couldn’t agree more with their observations esp concerning the MeToo movement. Yoon Se Ri is a total girl badass and Capt Ri is indeed the modern man-hero we all need. One particular scene that resonated with me is when Seri was giving her speech to her employees and Capt Ri was just in the background, standing tall and proud of his woman. And when Capt Ri gave her the couple rings for her bday, Seri with all her wealth and flashiness said it was the most beautiful ring she has ever seen. 

It was also refreshing to watch a kdrama where the main leads are not constantly in a shouting match with each other. There was only one instance where Capt Ri raised his voice and it was when they were debating about destiny vs coincidence. Funny scene. Lol. And I’m honestly getting tired of the main lead guy being the CEO of something. Like most kdramas I’ve seen, the male leads are almost always the CEO. Hahaha. 

Btw why does it seem like Koreans like to yell a lot and get a little violent in kdramas? It’s a cultural thing, I guess no?  My husband is korean but he grew up in the States so he isn’t like this. I’m a little bothered sometimes when watching a scene and I’d be like btch i’d sue your a$$ for assault if you hit/kick/shove me like that! Lmao Thankfully CLOY doesn’t have a lot of this, the kicking and the hitting part was mostly between Seo Dan’s mom and her Uncle. Lol 

@TotoroSY sold on Hospital Playlist! Ill give it a go! and I’ll just probably lurk here for Baeksang updates as I’d most like miss it being on the east coast and having 2 hyperactive toddlers to deal with. God help me lol. I’m also a big fan of LOTR and was obsessive about GoT during its run. Lol. I’m currently reading The Witcher along with some books about life in SK and NK. Dang this kdramas. We’d be experts in everything Korean in no time. lmao 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, anney said:

. I mean...i honestly hope someone can give me ANY reference of a k-drama with anything close to how these 2 characters are written - because I would genuinely like to check it out

Spoiler

Honestly nothing comes close to CLOY.

But if you want to try a drama where the main lead respects the fl ,allows her to shine and protects her in a unique way.,I would like to recommend "Still 17".It was a really sweet and heart endearing drama.The male lead character was indeed swoonworthy and the character development in that drama was awesome.

Another slice of life drama that deals with judiciary is "Miss Hammurabi". Although the fl annoyed me a bit sometimes but the male lead and supporting cast was great ,sensible and reasonable.Romance was not the main theme there but it felt so real as if it can happen in any other work place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eLizza said:
  Hide contents

But if you want to try a drama where the main lead respects the fl ,allows her to shine and protects her in a unique way.,I would like to recommend "Still 17".It was a really sweet and heart endearing drama.The male lead character was indeed swoonworthy and the character development in that drama was awesome.

Another slice of life drama that deals with judiciary is "Miss Hammurabi". Although the fl annoyed me a bit sometimes but the male lead and supporting cast was great ,sensible and reasonable.Romance was not the main theme there but it felt so real as if it can happen in any other work place. 

Still 17 - great call - healing, funny, romantic, uplifting .... and IMHO one of the best - heartwarming - flips at the end.

Its as if the writer was saying .... oh, you're feeling good now? Well here, I'll make you feel twice as good :lol:

And the OST is great as well

• LOL 1

14 hours ago, QueenieBee said:

Saw this on my google news and thought I would share it here. I love seeing North American coverage of CLOYs success across the globe: 

"TV drama on forbidden love casts spotlight on life in North Korea"

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1211971

I love how CLOY is being highlighted by all these US media outlet. I hope it continues to get this recognition and promotion, and continue to gain new fans in US and other countries. If CLOY manage to get some top awards at Baeksang, that will be another boost for its viewers (fingers crossed).

Here's some highlights of the article which I like. The reviewers clearly spelt out why they enjoyed the drama and found it so meaningful. This is a good reply to some of the anti-CLOY posts in other forums/ blogs who hates on the drama and call it "cheesy" . Sure, CLOY has its cheesy moments, but the drama's meaningfulness is much much more than that :

The show has attracted huge audiences from Australia to China and the United States. And nowhere has it had more impact than in South Korea, where few people can remember a unified peninsula. Korea split in two at the end of World War II in 1945.

"I watched the drama because it is not a heavy drama about the two Koreas, but a drama mainly focused on love," said Ashely Jun, a translator who lives in Seoul and is a big fan of the show.

"It is meaningful, in that it showed some ordinary concerns like love, friendship and family affection in North Korea," Jun said. "Viewers might think that North Koreans are not that much different from them."

"Crash Landing on You" stands as "remarkably nuanced" and "sensitive," said Howell, accounting for its popularity.

"It gives us a window into life in North Korea that is actually, it may be boring to say, but just normal," he said. "Yes, people lead everyday lives in North Korea."

Although South Korea has produced many movies about the North, and some have been huge hits, this series has enjoyed runaway success because the makers have "tried to show North Korea as it is" and dropped tired tropes, said Ramon Pacheco Pardo, a Korea specialist and associate professor at King's College London.

Other observers agree. Rather than military parades and goose-stepping soldiers, or images of the leader Kim Jong Un at staged events, the show is about real life, which Pacheco Pardo said makes it credible for viewers.

"For some South Koreans it may be shocking … and overseas as well," said Pacheco Pardo, as it shows that for North Koreans, as for South Koreans, "politics is not our only concern."

"Crash Landing on You" ends with a flash-forward as the lovers meet in Switzerland, a historically neutral country. Neither defects to the other Korea and the question of whether their relationship could thrive on either side of the divide is left to the imagination of viewers.

11 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Thank you all for posting these wonderful articles on CLOY! Great reads and makes me proud of the show! I couldn’t agree more with their observations esp concerning the MeToo movement. Yoon Se Ri is a total girl badass and Capt Ri is indeed the modern man-hero we all need. One particular scene that resonated with me is when Seri was giving her speech to her employees and Capt Ri was just in the background, standing tall and proud of his woman. And when Capt Ri gave her the couple rings for her bday, Seri with all her wealth and flashiness said it was the most beautiful ring she has ever seen. 

It was also refreshing to watch a kdrama where the main leads are not constantly in a shouting match with each other. There was only one instance where Capt Ri raised his voice and it was when they were debating about destiny vs coincidence. Funny scene. Lol. And I’m honestly getting tired of the main lead guy being the CEO of something. Like most kdramas I’ve seen, the male leads are almost always the CEO. Hahaha. 

Btw why does it seem like Koreans like to yell a lot and get a little violent in kdramas? It’s a cultural thing, I guess no?  My husband is korean but he grew up in the States so he isn’t like this. I’m a little bothered sometimes when watching a scene and I’d be like btch i’d sue your a$$ for assault if you hit/kick/shove me like that! Lmao Thankfully CLOY doesn’t have a lot of this, the kicking and the hitting part was mostly between Seo Dan’s mom and her Uncle. Lol 

@TotoroSY sold on Hospital Playlist! Ill give it a go! and I’ll just probably lurk here for Baeksang updates as I’d most like miss it being on the east coast and having 2 hyperactive toddlers to deal with. God help me lol. I’m also a big fan of LOTR and was obsessive about GoT during its run. Lol. I’m currently reading The Witcher along with some books about life in SK and NK. Dang this kdramas. We’d be experts in everything Korean in no time. lmao 

I love that Vogue Japan article so much, cuz it spells out why this OTP, and why this ML and FL, is different from the other Kdramas, and hence attracting so much of love. Again, another well-written essay on why people fall in love with CLOY, and love the romance so much.

Oh yes, a lot of ML in Kdramas are either CEOs, heir to a rich empire, a king, a prince, etc etc. They are like a knight in shining armour coming to rescue to damsel in distress. But then CLOY also has that same trope, but they put a new spin to it cuz the ML is not the same Kdrama ML though he IS influential (in NK) and he IS a knight in shining armour to YSR. But the way he does it is so different, never forcing his way into the FL's life or POV etc. And the FL was a damsel in distress of a different kind. She negotiated her way for the hero and his ducklings to help her escape, made them cook meat for her, made the hero serve her meals and coffee etc etc. LOL!! She was still so strong and independent even in distress. That's why we love their love story so much!!

That scene of RJH proudly looking on as YSR made her speech was such a strong representative of a healthy, strong relationship between a couple. YSR looked to him for strength and assurance before that speech and he gave her the encouragement she needed. Perfect couple!!

About the shouting, LOL! After watching so many korean dramas and movies, and also reading comments from koreans themselves, I think the shouting and beating does happen in Korean society. Maybe not as much now with the new generation. But many years ago when I visited Korea, I did notice a lot of shouting esp amongst the older generation. I also read somewhere that Koreans are like the Italians of Asia, very expressive and demonstrative. Maybe that's why all the shouting and physical demo LOL!!

Seo Dan's mom kicking and beating up her uncle is the funniest thing ever LOL! But I can still see love and affection between them so that was OK for me. :D

Yes!! Hope you'll enjoy Hospital Playlist. The directing and acting there, plus the script is top quality. And we have another LOTR fan!! And GoT too!! I love fantasy genre. And yes, watching Kdrama will make you a language, food and culture expert on all things Korean. 

10 hours ago, veespn said:

Governor of Osaka is also a fan of CLOY.

Another example of HOW CLOY is going viral in Japan. 

I saw that article online about the Osaka Governer but couldn't tell what the story was about in connection with CLOY. I thot it just said the politician claimed he look like RJH lol!! Wow so even the Governor of Osaka is a CLOY fan!! And lots of other top profile celebrities and Japan top athletes too!

I couldn't understand the viral tweet - what was it about?

3 hours ago, eLizza said:
  Hide contents

21 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Still 17 - great call - healing, funny, romantic, uplifting .... and IMHO one of the best - heartwarming - flips at the end.

Its as if the writer was saying .... oh, you're feeling good now? Well here, I'll make you feel twice as good :lol:

Heard a lot of good things about this Still 17 series. Should try to catch it, but got so many backlog dramas to watch!! The FL was in Strangers and acted really well there. Heard her acting here was good too. Same for the ML. Putting it in my To Watch List on Netlfix. :D

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

I have the same thoughts about Korean dramas  constant yelling matches very loudly, not very common in other cultures. Probably it's the Korean culture or they were directed to act such.  Another observation of habitual looking out into open space whenever they are have problems & have serious thinking - like staring out of the windows or at the seaside alone for a long time - deeply in thoughts.

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Now that I think about it,the male lead had many things in common with Captain Ri. He had an emotional baggage due to which shut himself off from the world. He was a man of few words with a soothing voice. And most importantly always encouraged the fl in during struggles and would protect her in his own unique ways without overstepping his boundaries.He would always silently look out for her without being obvious just like Captain Ri. I m a goner for naive and caring male leads. But the plot also needs to be well written so as to not make me cringe .The otp were cute in an exceptional way .It was great to see the ml embrace a new life again.Honestly it was a great watch.The music was good too. @TotoroSY you should definitely give this a try.Wait a second was the fl in Strangers??.I mean Shin Hye Sun.Then I need to check that out immediately.

PS: Still nobody can beat our RiRi couple.Thats  a given fact.B)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eLizza said:

Now that I think about it,the male lead had many things in common with Captain Ri. He had an emotional baggage due to which shut himself off from the world. He was a man of few words with a soothing voice. And most importantly always encouraged the fl in during struggles and would protect her in his own unique ways without overstepping his boundaries.He would always silently look out for her without being obvious just like Captain Ri. I m a goner for naive and caring male leads. But the plot also needs to be well written so as to not make me cringe .The otp were cute in an exceptional way .It was great to see the ml embrace a new life again.Honestly it was a great watch.The music was good too. @TotoroSY you should definitely give this a try.Wait a second was the fl in Strangers??.I mean Shin Hye Sun.Then I need to check that out immediately.

Well the ML & FL did have that one argument about her appearing on stage to play the violin - but it was still sweet because while she was yelling at him to not interfere he shouted right back he didn't want the woman he loved to get hurt :wub:  that was a really good scene!

Yes Shin Hye Sun was in Strangers but not the lead female.  Wonder if she'll be in season 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eLizza said:

Alright alright!! I will watch Still 17 soon. :D  And yes, Shin Hye Sun was in Strangers, but not exactly FL :  

I'd consider her 2nd FL and very central to the story. If I am not mistaken, she was nominated for Best New Actress in Seoul Awards. You should really watch Strangers (also known as Secret Forest). It stars Cho Seong Woo (The Classic) and Bae Do Na (Kingdom) plus a host of other great actors/ actresses. It won Baeksang Daesang (drama), Best Screenplay and Best Actor (Cho Seong Woo). And also nominated for a host of other Baeksangs. It was even listed by The New York Times in the Top 10 TV Shows 2017 (#10). Check out the wiki page for it.

Of course, no other couple can beat RiRi lol!! Yes we are biased, but not really. They really have one of the best chemistry of an OTP that O have seen, even minus all the skinship. Just their eye contacts alone can SLAY us!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Well the ML & FL did have that one argument about her appearing on stage to play the violin - but it was still sweet because while she was yelling at him to not interfere he shouted right back he didn't want the woman he loved to get hurt :wub:  that was a really good scene!

Yes Shin Hye Sun was in Strangers but not the lead female.  Wonder if she'll be in season 2

Spoiler

Oh yeah I remember that scene now. Actually it has been a while since i watched it so I just remember some of the basic gestures.But as far as my memory serves he would always try to make her happy and feel confident.

• Like 2

I think this CLOY article by NBC News was posted here earlier but I just found out that NBC News actually TWEETED it on their official Tweeter account , with 7.5M followers!! WOO!! CLOY world domination!!  Hope the Baeksang judges see this too!

• Like 4

I have watched CLOY now about 5x. Taking a break to watch other Baeksang nominated shows. Right now, CLOY is still my favorite. So hoping the show will win Best Drama/Daesang or even Screenplay. Right now, I think the show's competiion is When The Camellia Blooms. I did small appearance from Jang Hye-Jin) . Mainly hoping for SYJ Daesang/Best Actress and HB for Best Actor :)

I love more news of CLOY being watched around the world. I am from Canada. Sadly it is no longer on the top 10 on Netflix but I think it was in Feb/March. 

• Like 4

This tweet is one example why our Capt Ri is perfect. OMG I can’t even. He’s so precious it hurts and I wanna cry. Lol

https://twitter.com/rijeonghyeoks/status/1261955619126304768?s=20

and oh I also saw on twitter that CLOY is ranked number 3 on Netflix today in the Philippines. I think it had been in the top 10 since CLOY started last year and had been number 1 for many weeks. It’s a certified ‘CLOYNATION indeed. Lol 

*okay I don’t know why the 1st tweet didn’t appear but I just posted the link instead lol

19 hours ago, forumsoomp said:

I have the same thoughts about Korean dramas  constant yelling matches very loudly, not very common in other cultures. Probably it's the Korean culture or they were directed to act such.  Another observation of habitual looking out into open space whenever they are have problems & have serious thinking - like staring out of the windows or at the seaside alone for a long time - deeply in thoughts.

oh yes! Lol I guess that isn’t too bad. It’s usually when the characters are just standing and staring longingly into each other’s eyes that I have a little problem with. I’d be like dang it! Just hug or kiss already will you! Hahaha! But I think that’s one of the beauty of kdramas esp when the leads have incredible onscreen chemistry. You feel the intensity of emotions, your screen sizzles and your heart flutters with them :wub: Our RiRi is one perfect example, their chemistry is just out of this world! 

19 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

Oh yes, a lot of ML in Kdramas are either CEOs, heir to a rich empire, a king, a prince, etc etc. They are like a knight in shining armour coming to rescue to damsel in distress. But then CLOY also has that same trope, but they put a new spin to it cuz the ML is not the same Kdrama ML though he IS influential (in NK) and he IS a knight in shining armour to YSR. But the way he does it is so different, never forcing his way into the FL's life or POV etc. And the FL was a damsel in distress of a different kind. She negotiated her way for the hero and his ducklings to help her escape, made them cook meat for her, made the hero serve her meals and coffee etc etc. LOL!! She was still so strong and independent even in distress. That's why we love their love story so much!!

About the shouting, LOL! After watching so many korean dramas and movies, and also reading comments from koreans themselves, I think the shouting and beating does happen in Korean society. Maybe not as much now with the new generation. But many years ago when I visited Korea, I did notice a lot of shouting esp amongst the older generation. I also read somewhere that Koreans are like the Italians of Asia, very expressive and demonstrative. Maybe that's why all the shouting and physical demo LOL!!

Yes! I love the power dynamic between our main leads, both powerful and rich. Their status wasn’t used as a major conflict in the story , rather it was used as a tool so they were able to save and help each other and when needed, get out of danger. And so true! I love how Seri made things work her way when she landed in NK. She’s such a boss! Lol I also love the pep talks she gave herself to survive. 

Good observation on Koreans’ social behavior! I’m watching Reply 1988 and I’m baffled at how the kids could yell at their parents like that. Like man, I’d get my butt whopped real bad if I do that. Lmao. But I love the aspect of high respect towards the elders in their society and considering how great and thriving their art culture is, they’re probably a very demonstrative lot indeed. 

6 hours ago, ElectricHearts said:

I have watched CLOY now about 5x. Taking a break to watch other Baeksang nominated shows. Right now, CLOY is still my favorite. So hoping the show will win Best Drama/Daesang or even Screenplay. Right now, I think the show's competiion is When The Camellia Blooms. I did small appearance from Jang Hye-Jin) . Mainly hoping for SYJ Daesang/Best Actress and HB for Best Actor :)

I love more news of CLOY being watched around the world. I am from Canada. Sadly it is no longer on the top 10 on Netflix but I think it was in Feb/March. 

You’re one rewatch ahead of me! Lol Other than CLOY, I haven’t watched the other nominees but also hoping it will take home a few big wins!  Glad to know the show made it into the top 10 in Canada before! I keep checking the US list almost on a daily basis but I haven’t seen cloy as of yet so I keep rewatching hoping it’ll make it! hahaha. Although it’s been verified by independent sources that it’s one of the most viewed TV shows in the US, it’d still be nice to see it on my TV screen itself. :D

• Like 3