• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
0ly40

[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

17 hours ago, NYXbaby said:

Are we allowed to exchange piano sheet music for the soundtrack on here? 

Not too sure about the rules here but I don’t see no harm esp when you give credit to its owners whenever necessary. So share away! Lol 

15 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

Hahaha! That's the CLOY syndrome that all the fans confess they have. I also listen to the OST all the time, and check social media and forums for updates or discussions, and read a lot about North Korea and watch videos about NK defectors stories and how they feel about CLOY etc. I am also currently on my 4th CLOY rewatch - I watch it slowly as I also catch up on other new dramas now. May need 6 months before we can fully get over CLOY lol!!

Your friends calling your husband Capt Ri is the cutest thing ever LOL!! I do hope he really looks like HB - you're one lucky gal!

cloy group hugs to you all LOL! You are right, quoting our OTP, we might need a 6 month mourning period just to get over this craziness! and unfortunately, no matter how much I wish the huz looks like Capt Ri, he’s waaay off lmao. Though they kinda have the same body built, broad shoulders and dimples so I guess that still counts hahah. 

9 hours ago, anney said:

hi everyone! New to this forum and i've been silently reading the past pages in this thread (400+ pages is no joke lol) and enjoyed the various conversations, discussions and reviews here! I finished watching CLOY back in mid-April and as befitting its title, this show crash landed onto my heart and got me hook, line and sinker. My last korean drama I remember watching was back in 2005/2006 LOL and thanks to the lockdown and hype surrounding CLOY, I finally started watching it in early April without any expectations...and look where it got me lol. 

Just a quick note - I'm from Malaysia and when I started watching CLOY in April, it was constantly on my Netflix Top 10 list...and the past 2 days I realised, eventhough it dropped out from the top 10 a while previously, it was back in the Top 10 AGAIN and it was no.8 yesterday..3 months after the finale. It's pretty rare (or hardly ever happens as far as I know) to see a show in the top 10 for this long. Definitely well deserved. 

Also love how CLOY has been recognised and positively reviewed worldwide as many has mentioned - from the big names no less! I saw the TIME article the other day but now it's on Al-jazeera too? I really, really hope the Baeksang judges realize what an impact CLOY has made to the SK entertainment industry and also on people's interest & awareness of the SK-NK history and geopolitical climate. I honestly can't say that there are many korean dramas that has had this level of impact :) 

Bless you for your patience! I’m still on pages 80+ backreading. Haha. 

I believe back in feb-mar- april CLOY pretty much topped the list of the most watched TV show across asia even the middle east and it’s still in the top 10 as we speak. It’s also number 1 in Japan last I read here. What’s amazing as well is it was able to break through the US and even Europe! The other day, somebody on twitter shared an article on Naver about how the show is currently popular in Italy and France. Plus a few articles from the UK has also given it positive reviews, most prominently the BBC. Suffice to say, CLOY is conquering the world like a pandemic! This is the only virus I’d be happy to be infected. Lol

I’ve also read reviews on reddit and their sentiments towards the show are very much like ours. Everybody has a hard time moving on :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

@TotoroSY said: Just voted!! But not sure why Supporting Actress doesn't have the names listed out so can't vote for that. CLOY is winning so far in all the categories LOL!! But Best Actress is facing strong contender from Kim Hee Ae, which is not a surprise.

Glad you're able to cast your vote already where i did mine yday! IKR? coz we can cast our votes for the supporting actress! I believe may come up to be the winner coz the votes right now are overwhelmingly leaning towards them! I haven't seen KHA projs so not sure if i ever hv seen her!

I voted again today! Best Actress is super super close now - only difference of 10 votes between SYJ and KHA.... the rest CLOY is leading by a bigger margin.  Did you manage to vote for Best Supporting Actress?

6 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

cloy group hugs to you all LOL! You are right, quoting our OTP, we might need a 6 month mourning period just to get over this craziness! and unfortunately, no matter how much I wish the huz looks like Capt Ri, he’s waaay off lmao. Though they kinda have the same body built, broad shoulders and dimples so I guess that still counts hahah. 

I believe back in feb-mar- april CLOY pretty much topped the list of the most watched TV show across asia even the middle east and it’s still in the top 10 as we speak. It’s also number 1 in Japan last I read here. What’s amazing as well is it was able to break through the US and even Europe! The other day, somebody on twitter shared an article on Naver about how the show is currently popular in Italy and France. Plus a few articles from the UK has also given it positive reviews, most prominently the BBC. Suffice to say, CLOY is conquering the world like a pandemic! This is the only virus I’d be happy to be infected. Lol

I’ve also read reviews on reddit and their sentiments towards the show are very much like ours. Everybody has a hard time moving on :lol:

Your husband has dimples, so that's close enough to Captain Ri. :D

Was CLOY Top 10 in Middle East too? And yes it's #1 in Japan last week - not sure about this week. And wow even Italy and France? 

Can you send me the link on Reddit about CLOY? Would love to read the reviews there too. It's amazing that CLOY is just so loved ACROSS different groups of people, country, forums, age group etc. It just have very wide mass appeal and hit the right spot for everyone.

16 hours ago, anney said:

Just a quick note - I'm from Malaysia and when I started watching CLOY in April, it was constantly on my Netflix Top 10 list...and the past 2 days I realised, eventhough it dropped out from the top 10 a while previously, it was back in the Top 10 AGAIN and it was no.8 yesterday..3 months after the finale. It's pretty rare (or hardly ever happens as far as I know) to see a show in the top 10 for this long. Definitely well deserved. 

Hi! I am from Malaysia too! And yes, I was amazed how CLOY kept the #1 position for almost 6 to 8 weeks after the finale. That's like 42 to 56 days of straight #1 which is just crazy!  It's now back to Top 10 in Msia and moving up from #10 to #8.  Maybe cuz of the Baeksang news announcement, though I don't see the other kdramas in Baeksang going into Top 10. It just have very strong word-of-mouth. All the friends and family around me seemed to have watch it too lol!

20 hours ago, eLizza said:

So happy that CLOY continues to hit the international news! I like how the article covers comments from different countries ie SK to US etc. Shows how it's loved by all people of different culture.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@TotoroSY i didn't vote again yet but i think u mentioned prev about the actress in TWOM now that I googled this drama I must say, yes i've seen her old projs and u know I checked this drama & woah she's good & the story is quite interesting! She's a good actress!

I can't believe this CLOY thread is still active after so many months now that it folded :) that's good! It looks like it's gg to win! No i haven't got a chance to vote for BSA!

• Like 2

“TIME” Selects “10 Best K-Dramas To Watch On Netflix”…

With Netflix‘s K-Drama game growing stronger by the minute, solid viewer recommendations have been keeping the Quarantined generation of 2020 busy.

065099000_1576488298-crash_landing1.jpg

The list included, in no particular order, these ten titles: Crash Landing On YouItaewon ClassMr. SunshineKingdomWhen The Camellia BloomsSignalPrison PlaybookStranger, all of the Reply series (1997, 1994, and 1988), and Hi Bye Mama.

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/time-selects-top-10-k-dramas-watch-netflix-korean-netizens-couldnt-agree-less/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

I voted again today! Best Actress is super super close now - only difference of 10 votes between SYJ and KHA.... the rest CLOY is leading by a bigger margin.  Did you manage to vote for Best Supporting Actress?

Your husband has dimples, so that's close enough to Captain Ri. :D

Was CLOY Top 10 in Middle East too? And yes it's #1 in Japan last week - not sure about this week. And wow even Italy and France? 

Can you send me the link on Reddit about CLOY? Would love to read the reviews there too. It's amazing that CLOY is just so loved ACROSS different groups of people, country, forums, age group etc. It just have very wide mass appeal and hit the right spot for everyone.

Hi! I am from Malaysia too! And yes, I was amazed how CLOY kept the #1 position for almost 6 to 8 weeks after the finale. That's like 42 to 56 days of straight #1 which is just crazy!  It's now back to Top 10 in Msia and moving up from #10 to #8.  Maybe cuz of the Baeksang news announcement, though I don't see the other kdramas in Baeksang going into Top 10. It just have very strong word-of-mouth. All the friends and family around me seemed to have watch it too lol!

So happy that CLOY continues to hit the international news! I like how the article covers comments from different countries ie SK to US etc. Shows how it's loved by all people of different culture.

There were screenshots of Netflix Top 10 shared on A CLOY Facebook page back in Mar which shows the show’s ranking in different countries and cloy was number 1 in the UAE and another Middle Eastern country, I believe it was Saudi but I’m not too sure now. Lol. We used to live in the UAE and still have friends over there who were also watching the show back then. I should have shared the naver article here about cloy’s popularity in Europe but I was too lazy lol I’ll post it here when I see it again. Lovely to know you’re from Malaysia! I am US based but was born in the Philippines where CLOY fever is also very high for the past few months! I heard it was also number one for many weeks and is still in the Top 10 as we speak. Cloy hasn’t appeared on the US Top 10 so far since they include movies as well that’s why I was ecstatic to have read that CLOY actually made it to top 3 or 6 for most watched TV shows on Netlix US. I’m now on a mission to convince my non-Asian friends to get into the hype. :lol:

There’s plenty CLOY related threads on reddit and a discussion board as well while it was airing. It’s fun to read just like this thread. Here’s the main link: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrashLandingOnYou/

and yayy! CLOY has been featured by almost all major media outlets around the world! CNN I am waiting for you! (although CNN is pretty much the same as TIME, isn’t it?) Lol 

• Thanks 1

CLOY climbed one more step in Netflix Malaysia and is at #7 today!! Will get into Top 5 again? Fighting CLOY!!

On 5/15/2020 at 12:18 PM, hibiscus23 said:

@TotoroSY i didn't vote again yet but i think u mentioned prev about the actress in TWOM now that I googled this drama I must say, yes i've seen her old projs and u know I checked this drama & woah she's good & the story is quite interesting! She's a good actress!

I can't believe this CLOY thread is still active after so many months now that it folded :) that's good! It looks like it's gg to win! No i haven't got a chance to vote for BSA!

Yes, KHA is a very well-respected veteran actress. And she is 53 years old this year!! She looks so good for her age.

I am also glad COY thread is active again. I miss discussing the drama. Just today some younger friends were talking about Kdramas and they all have watched Crash Landing (that's what they call it) and like it too. :D

On 5/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, ChunSungIm said:

“TIME” Selects “10 Best K-Dramas To Watch On Netflix”…

With Netflix‘s K-Drama game growing stronger by the minute, solid viewer recommendations have been keeping the Quarantined generation of 2020 busy.

065099000_1576488298-crash_landing1.jpg

The list included, in no particular order, these ten titles: Crash Landing On YouItaewon ClassMr. SunshineKingdomWhen The Camellia BloomsSignalPrison PlaybookStranger, all of the Reply series (1997, 1994, and 1988), and Hi Bye Mama.

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/time-selects-top-10-k-dramas-watch-netflix-korean-netizens-couldnt-agree-less/

So the TIME article was picked up by other online media sites and also some blogsites. Very good!! Hope SK media will also pick up on it as we head towards Baeksang. More promotion for CLOY!!

15 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

There were screenshots of Netflix Top 10 shared on A CLOY Facebook page back in Mar which shows the show’s ranking in different countries and cloy was number 1 in the UAE and another Middle Eastern country, I believe it was Saudi but I’m not too sure now. Lol. We used to live in the UAE and still have friends over there who were also watching the show back then. I should have shared the naver article here about cloy’s popularity in Europe but I was too lazy lol I’ll post it here when I see it again. Lovely to know you’re from Malaysia! I am US based but was born in the Philippines where CLOY fever is also very high for the past few months! I heard it was also number one for many weeks and is still in the Top 10 as we speak. Cloy hasn’t appeared on the US Top 10 so far since they include movies as well that’s why I was ecstatic to have read that CLOY actually made it to top 3 or 6 for most watched TV shows on Netlix US. I’m now on a mission to convince my non-Asian friends to get into the hype. :lol:

There’s plenty CLOY related threads on reddit and a discussion board as well while it was airing. It’s fun to read just like this thread. Here’s the main link: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrashLandingOnYou/

and yayy! CLOY has been featured by almost all major media outlets around the world! CNN I am waiting for you! (although CNN is pretty much the same as TIME, isn’t it?) Lol 

Yes I do recall seeing some of the screen capture for CLOY Netflix ranking in different countries. I must have missed the ones on UAE and Middle East. CLOY is like a crazy phenomena in the Philippines!! All the top celebrities going mad over it, and posting it on social media. So many new fans of HB and SYJ etc. In Malaysia, it was also popular but probably not to the level in the Phil. But I was happy to see one major Malaysia publication reviewing CLOY, and the journalist who is a guy gave very positive review and was surprised he liked the show so much LOL!! As for US, the data we have seen so far for Most Watched Shows are not from Netflix but from a secondary source called Reelgood (since Netflix don't share those weekly and daily data). But it's a good indicator. Thanks for letting us know that Netflix US incl Movies and TV Series into one ranking - wonder why they do that. We will have actual Netflix ranking most likely only at the end of 2020 which is a long way off. Annual ranking will be tough for CLOY to get in - the competition is too tough in US.

Thanks for the Reddit link - will go check it out. 

CNN covering CLOY will be the bomb LOL!! I think even BBC has covered it, cuz of the NK angle.

Another good news - this time CLOY's writer Park Ji-Eun has been selected the "Unification Education Person of the Year" by the Ministry of Unification in Korea. How cool is that!! Hope this will add weightage to CLOY drama as we approach Baeksang awards. :D

• Love 2

I just watched the premiere of CLOY again yesterday and I was reminded of why I enjoy the show so much. Se Ri is such a hilarious character yet so confident and unafraid of what others think of her. Really enjoyed the show and I’m so impressed that it’s still within the top 10 shows on Singapore’s Netflix.

Sharing my review of the series here

https://kdramaanalysis.com/2020/03/01/crash-landing-on-you-series-review/

and I’m thinking of writing reviews of the show by episode again because there’s so much to enjoy in it!

By the way, I’ve also started a kdrama Instagram account at @kdramaanalysis ! Looking forward to connecting with fellow kdrama fans there 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, heroonthebeach said:

I just watched the premiere of CLOY again yesterday and I was reminded of why I enjoy the show so much. Se Ri is such a hilarious character yet so confident and unafraid of what others think of her. Really enjoyed the show and I’m so impressed that it’s still within the top 10 shows on Singapore’s Netflix.

and I’m thinking of writing reviews of the show by episode again because there’s so much to enjoy in it!

By the way, I’ve also started a kdrama Instagram account at @kdramaanalysis ! Looking forward to connecting with fellow kdrama fans there 

Thanks for sharing your CLOY review with us here. Wonderful write-up and I also feel the same way about many things that you wrote in the review. Esp the last paragraph about how we all fall in love with CLOY, though we know the storyline was like a fairytale and not realistic, cuz the show gives us hope and faith on love and friendship. And of course, it makes us laugh so much!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, heroonthebeach said:

You should definitely write up a review for each episode. This would help us with the CLOY withdraw. 

• Like 1

Cloy on the Japanese TV. 

‪https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/iidaichishi/20200517-00178939/‬

Another article stating that Cloy is a phenomenon in Japan. Normally Korean dramas are popular amongst middle-aged women and housewives. But Cloy has changed the game. It attracts younger generation as well maybe due to Netflix. The journalist said that no matter how good the Korean dramas have been, it has never been like where it is now where many generations of Japanese people got addicted to it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3

12 hours ago, heroonthebeach said:

Great insights! I’d love to hear about your episode reviews! I’ve also been rewatching and still crying and laughing over scenes again and again! Lol! I have also noticed some minute details I have missed before that are either good or bad haha. Maybe I’d write about them on another post as I may tend to write a long essay instead :lol:

On 5/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, TotoroSY said:

Yes I do recall seeing some of the screen capture for CLOY Netflix ranking in different countries. I must have missed the ones on UAE and Middle East. CLOY is like a crazy phenomena in the Philippines!! All the top celebrities going mad over it, and posting it on social media. So many new fans of HB and SYJ etc. In Malaysia, it was also popular but probably not to the level in the Phil. But I was happy to see one major Malaysia publication reviewing CLOY, and the journalist who is a guy gave very positive review and was surprised he liked the show so much LOL!! As for US, the data we have seen so far for Most Watched Shows are not from Netflix but from a secondary source called Reelgood (since Netflix don't share those weekly and daily data). But it's a good indicator. Thanks for letting us know that Netflix US incl Movies and TV Series into one ranking - wonder why they do that. We will have actual Netflix ranking most likely only at the end of 2020 which is a long way off. Annual ranking will be tough for CLOY to get in - the competition is too tough in US.

Thanks for the Reddit link - will go check it out. 

CNN covering CLOY will be the bomb LOL!! I think even BBC has covered it, cuz of the NK angle.

Another good news - this time CLOY's writer Park Ji-Eun has been selected the "Unification Education Person of the Year" by the Ministry of Unification in Korea. How cool is that!! Hope this will add weightage to CLOY drama as we approach Baeksang awards. :D

Philippines is crazy about kdramas and Filipinos love a good rom-com with a handsome lead so it’s no surprise why it’s such a huge hit back there LOL. As for the US, I think it’s safe to assume CLOY is the most watched kdrama so far and has become a great gateway for non kdrama watchers to get into the genre. That itself is already an achievement that I hope K-ent will give them recognition for considering how hard it is to break through the western market. 2019-2020 is great year for Korea entertainment industry. From Parasite to CLOY, SK indeed has become a creative powerhouse and the world has taken notice. 

I did some digging and found these feature articles on CLOY from major UAE publications where it shows cloy was number 1 on Netflix back in Feb:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenational.ae/arts-culture/television/you-can-now-browse-netflix-by-the-uae-s-10-most-popular-films-and-series-1.985404 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gulfnews.com/amp/entertainment/hollywood/why-this-cross-border-korean-drama-is-creating-a-buzz-1.69981080

Kudos on the writer’s recognition! One of the reasons CLOY is such a marvel of a show is its impact on geopolitics! It gave viewers a different perspective on how life is in the most isolated country in the world. I don’t think it romanticizes the north in any way. Rather it humanizes its people. It makes us realize that normal people also lives there with real problems like us albeit on a worse scale in many ways. It also shows us that evil exist no matter which side of idealism you belong to. I’m amazed how this show has impressed scholars and geopolitics experts who are knowledgeable about the sensitive issue that is NK-SK unification. One example is this article: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/crash-landing-korean-drama-crosses-114332899.html

• Thanks 1

I want to start a list of sweet things RJH and SR did for each other. I will need all the CLOY fans help as there are too many to list out. I'll list out 10 first to get things started. 

1) buying her shampoo/conditioner, candle, clothes, bra

2) roasting coffee beans and brewing a cup of coffee

3) arranging the books to spell I love you

4) bbqing meat during dinner and putting it on her plate

5) holding the candle at market when she was lost

6) buying the couples rings

7) recording the song for her to listen to to help her sleep

8) SR gave RJH the tomato plant

9) pawning her ring for the watch

10) sewing a heart on his uniform to cover the bullet hole

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, NYXbaby said:

I want to start a list of sweet things RJH and SR did for each other. I will need all the CLOY fans help as there are too many to list out. I'll list out 10 first to get things started. 

grocery shopping for someone who doesn’t cook or eat, but making sure she can reach it.  such a small detail that nobody would ever do in real life, and it just made me sob.  

• Love 2

55 minutes ago, NYXbaby said:

365 days of text messages filled with support and love after a painful separation

• Love 2

16 hours ago, veespn said:

Cloy on the Japanese TV. 

‪https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/iidaichishi/20200517-00178939/‬

Another article stating that Cloy is a phenomenon in Japan. Normally Korean dramas are popular amongst middle-aged women and housewives. But Cloy has changed the game. It attracts younger generation as well maybe due to Netflix. The journalist said that no matter how good the Korean dramas have been, it has never been like where it is now where many generations of Japanese people got addicted to it. 

Thanks for the article!! Really good to see CLOY getting attention in Japan. It's still ranked #1 on Netflix Japan, and most importantly attracting young Japanese to Kdrama vs the previous older women. I've also seen a LOT of Japanese celebrities who posted their love for CLOY on their social media account or mention it in interviews and say how they are totally addicted to it and watched it till late into the night. :D Very similar to other countries celebrity stories on CLOY!

The article also posted CLOY's trailers from Netflix Japan and it's good to see they are using the actors original voices with Japanese subtitles. Always good that the shows are watched in the original languages vs dubbed. I guess the younger generation of Japanese are much more open to watch subtitled foreign shows vs previous older generations. Plus they shouldn't miss out hearing the deep sexy baritone of HB and the sweet, cute voice of SYJ. :D

I've used auto-translate to translate the article (better than the google translate). Have kept the part about IC in there as I thot it's a good read overall to see the changes of new generation Japanese towards Kdrama :

Why the popularity of "Love's Crash" and "Itaewon Class" is groundbreaking: What are the changes in the Korean drama business in Japan?

The Korean dramas "Love's Crash Landing" and "Itaewon Class," now available exclusively on Netflix, are gaining popularity in Japan, especially among the younger generation. This is a milestone in the history of the Korean drama business in Japan. What changes are taking place?

Japanese youth are into Korean dramas, a new phenomenon

Love's Crash Landing is a story about a South Korean woman entrepreneur who gets caught in bad weather while paragliding and crash-lands in North Korea. It's a story about a woman who falls in love with a northern soldier, and there are some comical elements that make you want to throw in the towel, such as the main character running through a minefield without a care in the world to escape from the northern soldiers, and all the northern soldiers being ruined.

Itaewon Class" is based on a Korean webtoon (full-color vertical scrolling manga) (in Japan, the characters and place names are localized and distributed in Japan under the title "Roppongi Class" on Pikkoma, a manga application run by Kakao Japan). This is the story of a father who works for Korea's largest restaurant company 'Changa' and is killed in a car accident by the owner's son, but he was made to take revenge on the chairman of the Changa and his son.

Both films have been so entertaining that many celebrities in Japan have raved about them, and both have been at the top of Netflix's popularity rankings for days on end.

What's so revolutionary about this?

In Japan, Korean dramas were not popular among young people.

Conventional windows and their problems are not just a hit if they are interesting

As is well known, the first hallyu boom in Japan began with "Winter Sonata" (aired in Japan since 2003).

Korean dramas have been in business mainly for middle-aged and older women.

What's more, that window - the strategy of appearing in multiple media with a single piece of content at different times - has been fixed for a long time.

The basic strategy is to air the film on specialized channels such as KNTV (CS), then sell the DVD, start renting the DVD, and broadcast it on terrestrial TV.

In other words, fans who wanted to watch the show in Japanese as soon as possible would sign up for a pay CS channel, while those who didn't have to pay for it would watch the ones that were broadcast in Korea two or three years later and broadcasted during the day.

Most terrestrial Korean dramas are not broadcast at a time when students and adults can watch them in real time, and most of the commercials that are inserted are about health foods for middle-aged and older people.

No matter how interesting the content was, it was not an environment where young Japanese people would naturally want to watch it.

With the advent of Netflix and Abema, the tide has turned.

I once interviewed a producer of a channel that distributes Korean content called "Hallyu and Hallyu Channel" and "K World" on ABEMA (formerly AbemaTV), a video distribution service operated by CyberAgent.

On Abema, Korean dramas such as "Ayashii Partner" attract many users in their teens and 20s who are younger than middle-aged women, but the Korean TV station people look at the data of Abema's viewing demographics and ask, "Are there so many young people watching? He said that he was surprised to hear that he was not able to get a chance to see the movie.

Originally, nearly 20 years after "Winter Sonata," there was a sense of crisis among those involved in Korean dramas that "the average age of Korean drama fans in Japan was rising," but it was difficult to attract new young viewers under the conventional window mentioned above.

Abema, which has a younger user base, is at the end of the traditional window and will be distributing Korean dramas to the light user base two or three years after their initial broadcast in Korea. The landscape is changing with the emergence of Netflix, which has suddenly skipped the traditional window and bought the rights to distribute simultaneously worldwide.

Even if the content is good, it is now possible to reach a wide range of people, even though it was hard to reach anyone other than specific demographics due to window problems.

Following K-POP, Korean fashion, cosmetics and food, Korean dramas are becoming one of the pop culture trends for young people in Japan.

While this is not as big a news story as the Academy Award for Best Picture for Bong Joon-no's film Parasite, it will have no small impact on the Japanese (and Asian) film industry and subcultures when viewed on a 5-10 year basis.

Love's Crash Landing is a miraculous love story that is the result of some sort of misdirection, but the impact of the film itself can't help but feel like it's going to go to unexpected places as well.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On 5/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, MsHoon2219 said:

Bless you for your patience! I’m still on pages 80+ backreading. Haha. 

Finally done backreading this thread haha! I think it actually helped in my withdrawal healing process lol. Reading back the discussions, etc. on this thread kinda helped me re-live the show in a way :) So now I've finally caught up and the funny thing that's a tinge of melancholy that I've even come to the "end"/latest page of this thread...oh my, what has CLOY done to me seriously. 

I understand the thread has significantly quietened down since the finale as people have gone back to their lives but I really appreciate having this place to be able to still talk about CLOY with like-minded people :) Not sure how it works around here but I hope this thread will still remain alive and somewhat active in the coming days...at least until we've all past the 6 months period and moved on haha.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, blue_fleurs said:

If the award shows were showing a preview clip of HB and SYJ before announcing their Best Actor and Best Actress in a drama, what clips would you guys choose?

Most outstanding acting for SYJ as SR for me would be:

- interrogation scene of eps 15 (from the moments before start of "Sunset" song to the collapse outside)

- final separation scene of eps 16 (from the breathless run, choked screams, to the hands pulling apart...)

- runner up scenes: at SJ's house after RJH comes to pick her up; in the truck as she's being kidnapped talking on the phone with RJH.

For HB as RJH:

- post SR confession and kidnapped scene of eps 8 (silence as he cries and "Photo of my Mind" song plays)

- hospital reunion and RJH confession of eps 14 (from the moments before IU's song starts to the end of the second hug..)

In these scenes I think they demonstrated their best acting.  SYJ is just the queen, she's too good, too good!

I agree with what some of you said, especially a comment a few pages ago re: character withdrawal.  I got a sense that SYJ found it very difficult to move on (her emotions on the last day of filming, her little speech about what YSR character means to her), I hope they're both doing fine - whatever we feel, they must feel it tenfold.  Though seasoned actors and professional as they are, I think that only makes it more impactful because of how committed they are to their roles.  

I love this question! Will need to rewatch again for more examples but the few at the top of my head are:

For SYJ :

- The whole DMZ border scene @ Ep16. Nothing short of phenomenal. When I was thinking about previews for Baeksang previously this scene is always in the must haves.

- The interrogation scene @ Ep15

- The breakdown she had @ Ep12 when she thought they've left SK

For HB :

- The DMZ border scene too. 

- His tearful scene @ Ep 14 when SR woke up at the hospital 

- Finding SR again at the carpark at ep  11

- Emotional confession with his dad @ Ep 9

- When SR was kidnapped at ending of Ep 8

On 2/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, blue_fleurs said:

Had an emotional tug thinking about SR's monologue while she was in a coma, when she recalled her memories with RJH and said that if she had to choose, she would choose once again to meet him all over again.... and then realizing the name of her coveted brand is... Seri's Choice.  We were given a clue all along where this was going :bawling:

@phoenixfire25 great selections and thanks for including the gifs!  I like the idea of choosing the comedic scenes too, it is a rom-com after all!

I didn't give enough thought to this scene where he stood outside as she listened to the clip - thanks for pointing it out!  RJH indeed did get a glimpse of the reason and very likely filled in the blanks himself... her mom had abandoned her and she has had to live with that growing up and had no support from her siblings.

Come to think of it, I don't think SR ever knew about RJH's brother until, honestly, the interrogation scene when he told her that was his purpose of going after CG :blink:... Even when she discovered the watch (that it made its way back to him), they didn't talk about its significance.  

I think this is clever and well thought out by the writer.  They are in their 30s when they meet.  Their story doesn't dwell on past adversities, but instead focuses on self-recovery, healing, personal development, and new discoveries.  It's very present and forward looking.  In a way, not knowing is good, so each person doesn't have to think the other is trying to "fix" them or make them "better" again, the love is there regardless.

Love this observation, which I didn't realize until you mentioned it.  It only adds to my love for their characters knowing even better now how mature their storyline and relationship development is :)

On 3/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, sharluvsenergy said:

https://www.beauty321.com/post/31451#p3

This article talks about how CLOY referenced the following movies/dramas that Hyun Bin and Son Yejin were in (separately and together).

1) Summer Scent (hair tie moment in ep 3)

2) Princess Deokhye (playing piano together in ep 9)

3) Something in the Rain (walking in the rain under the umbrella in ep 15)

4) Pirates (showing off injuries in ep 14)

5) Be With You (talking in dreams while in critical condition in ep 15)

6) Memories of the Alhambra (gaming moment in ep 12)

7) The Negotiation (having a drink in ep 12

8) Secret Garden (meeting the future mother-in-law in ep 14)

The writer really put in a lot of effort into making references to our BinJin couple's works as well as real life. ;)

So amazingly and seamlessly woven into the story too!!

On 4/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, TotoroSY said:
Spoiler

A really nice review of CLOY by a blogger.  It made me re-live the feelings I have while watching CLOY, esp for the first time. And just like the blogger, as soon as I finish the finale episode, I went right back to Ep 1 and watched it all over again. :D This person is a watching kdrama for the 1st time (so many of these new fans!)

https://responsivereaction.blogspot.com/2020/02/crash-landing-on-you-netflix-k-drama.html?m=1

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

Anyway, before I digress into a different tangent, let me start by talking about the topic and the reason for today's blog. Crash Landing on You.

I knew Korean Dramas were popular but until now I'd never watched one before. I saw the promo for 'Crash Landing on You' and kept wondering if this would be worth a watch. So last week, we (me and my husband) checked out reviews online and on IMDB and felt like we were living under a rock. Apparently the show and the actors and the characters were a sensation! With a solid 9.1/10 on IMDB and millions of fans we felt like wow, okay, this should be fun. OMG. I seriously underestimated how fun it was going to be.

To me North Korea is defined by the poverty and extreme conditions that its people live in, reminds me of all the photos from articles showcasing the starkness and the rigidity of the capital. What this series does is, it humanizes everyone. It shows depth in their lives. Showcases (with creative liberties) how even in their situation there is laughter, love, companionship, color, flair, warmth and life.

So the setup sounds amazing, obviously it's an impossible love / star crossed lovers kind of storyline (not a spoiler, the trailer kind of makes that obvious) so let me move on to the main leads in the series, Hyun Bin who plays a character called Ri Jeong Hyeok (the North Korean captain) and Son Ye-Jin who plays a character called Yoon Se-Ri (the South Korean heiress). It's so difficult to encompass what I feel about them and their performance in words. They are absolutely fantastic and are the best actors I've ever seen. Why? In one word, effortless. But slight sidetrack, I think the writer and the director deserve a standing ovation. It is their idea, their vision, and their world that is brought to life by these actors and characters, it is such a fabulous foundation. The writing is witty, emotional, endearing and very very memorable.

Coming back to the actors. Hyun Bin is just outstanding. He embodies the character he's portraying, depicts the various layers he has, and the emotions that are running through him with such slight nuances it is insane to imagine that he's not real. And that's the weird thing, the characters are obviously fictional, but they're so deep that they feel real. I was thinking about how a person (who btw has the most gorgeous dimples I've ever seen in a man!) is able to portray such depth in emotions; anger, love, happiness, pain, tenderness, sloppiness, patience, frustration, jealousy, trust, friendship, pity, desperation, panic, fear.. the list seems endless, but trust me I can pinpoint the exact emotions he portrays scene-by-scene.

While I obviously am madly in love with Hyun Bin, I have to do justice to the incredible performance by Son Ye-Jin too. Again as a character, she's extremely well written as well. I absolutely loved how she portrays the emotions so naturally. From her superb comic timing, to the tone of her voice, to how much she expresses with her eyes and posture, she really makes you root for her throughout the series.

Their chemistry together is such fascinating to watch. What strikes you as being very different is how staying true to their characters, there's actually very little physical intimacy between the two. A handful of kisses and hugs throughout the nearly 20 hours of runtime (totally) but the depth of their love is so so deep. I feel like we've totally missed this in recent times. It's so easy to go from being strangers to being in bed with someone, we've edited out the courtship, the butterflies, the fluttering. And that's what this series brings back and how. You feel their emotions, you feel their love, even though you don't understand their words, you hear it in their tone, you see it in their gestures. The two actors literally transport you into a bubble of their emotions and you can't help but just sit and smile blissfully throughout the journey. It's poetic, it's funny and oh so emotional.

Talking of humour more broadly, there's just so much humour. In the strangeness of the situation itself, but more so in the characters. Just when the pressure begins to build in one sphere, there's humour and laughter to ease it right after. I remember crying because of both happy and sad emotions depicted and like genuinely laughing, not the fake laughter because it was a slapstick joke, but because of just how genuinely hilarious it was!

Without going into too much detail, I also want to mention how fantastic the series felt technically. From the architecture / set design / interior decorations across situations (North Korean village, Pyongyang apartments, Seoul mansions and offices) to the soulful background score (available for streaming across platforms!), to the stunning depictions of the locations in which they shot, to the amazing editing that keeps the pace high for the most part (in the last couple of episodes it gets a bit slow while trying to wrap up some side stories), it's a brilliant package.

So to wrap this up, watch it, watch it for the storyline, for the characters, for the actors, but most importantly, watch it to go on a roller-coaster ride of emotions and to fall in love with love. :)

Thanks for sharing this! Out of the many reviews written, this is one that resonates with me alot - from how she started the show with zero expectations and falling into the CLOY love trap haha and her descriptions of the acting, characters and overall charm of the show ♥️

On 5/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, TotoroSY said:

Another good news - this time CLOY's writer Park Ji-Eun has been selected the "Unification Education Person of the Year" by the Ministry of Unification in Korea. How cool is that!! Hope this will add weightage to CLOY drama as we approach Baeksang awards. :D

Woahh writer-nim!! So cool and well deserved! What an impact CLOY has been indeed.

Also, thank you for your consistent updates and inputs @TotoroSY!! I think someone mentioned it before, thank you for taking the time and effort to post and share so many info and news on our beloved show! 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:43 AM, INeedAFan said:

Well, I haven’t finished/watched all those dramas. 

On this topic, I've actually started re-watching k-dramas again after my looong hiatus pre-CLOY. I guess you can call them my rebound dramas hah. But out of all I've watched..obviously nothing comes close to CLOY. I guess no matter what CLOY will always be my bias/UF but in all objectivity, I doubt there's another drama that I would find to be as well-rounded as CLOY is in terms of cast, characters, plot, humor, dialogue and production quality. That's what makes CLOY really outstanding and a classic.

The dramas I've watched to date are:

- Itaewon Class (it was an entertaining drama post-CLOY since it was more light and family/business focused. Couldn't handle a romance drama for some time after cloy lol)

- Mr Sunshine (interesting drama for background on korean history but the pace was way too slow for me..i think i only found the last few episodes enjoyable)

- MLFTS (same writer Park Ji Eun, it was interesting to see the similar themes/characteristics but definitely a far cry from her latest work. I'm so impressed at how much her writing and work has grown since)

- DOTS (first 3 episodes only, couldn't get pass that sorry)

- Vagabond (started off interesting but it started to fall apart towards the end imho. the ending was just..no)

- Signal (The one I enjoyed most from this list - mainly for its interesting/unique plot)

I have actually yet to check out HB & SYJ's past works (CLOY was their first work I've seen since my k-drama days ended way back) but I couldn't bring myself to watch their previous works yet simply because.....I can't bear to see them on screen with someone else (HAHA oh my I think i need help) I just want to retain the memories and images of them being on-screen only with each other for now lol.  Funny thing is my husband actually knew about HB more than me cause he watched/knew about Secret Garden from his younger days. 

Anyhow..if there are any really good dramas out there that would be worth watching to ease this withdrawal, would love to hear from you guys :) I'm thinking of checking out REPLY 1988 as that had a good rating and seems to be have been recommended/mentioned by some here previously. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, blue_fleurs said:

Hope everyone's doing well 2 months post-CLOY!  4 more months to go until the end of the 6 months condolences period.  I've been turning to k-movies which probably is OK for the condolences period which to me applies just to dramas :).

Coming back here since I now have a surge in friends watching CLOY and it's so interesting to hear about their initial thoughts and how they view the characters, their favourite scenes, what scenes they cried (or didn't cry) watching, and so on...  It's so hard to restrain commenting extensively with them (like doing the analysis we do here) without sounding a bit over the top!

3 months in now, we're halfway through the condolences period guys! Although deep down we know...like our OTP, we will never fully move on with another :D

I haven't shared my full review/thoughts on CLOY yet here..not sure if I should but..if i do, will definitely need to gather my thoughts to write it out..yes without sounding over the top haha.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Philippines is crazy about kdramas and Filipinos love a good rom-com with a handsome lead so it’s no surprise why it’s such a huge hit back there LOL. As for the US, I think it’s safe to assume CLOY is the most watched kdrama so far and has become a great gateway for non kdrama watchers to get into the genre. That itself is already an achievement that I hope K-ent will give them recognition for considering how hard it is to break through the western market. 2019-2020 is great year for Korea entertainment industry. From Parasite to CLOY, SK indeed has become a creative powerhouse and the world has taken notice. 

I did some digging and found these feature articles on CLOY from major UAE publications where it shows cloy was number 1 on Netflix back in Feb:

Kudos on the writer’s recognition! One of the reasons CLOY is such a marvel of a show is its impact on geopolitics! It gave viewers a different perspective on how life is in the most isolated country in the world. I don’t think it romanticizes the north in any way. Rather it humanizes its people. It makes us realize that normal people also lives there with real problems like us albeit on a worse scale in many ways. It also shows us that evil exist no matter which side of idealism you belong to. I’m amazed how this show has impressed scholars and geopolitics experts who are knowledgeable about the sensitive issue that is NK-SK unification. One example is this article: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/crash-landing-korean-drama-crosses-114332899.html

CLOY really did capture the heart of Philippines in a mega way! I can't believe my eyes when I saw all the interviews with big top celebrities and even head of a TV station, proclaiming her love for CLOY and HB lol!!  Can also see the number of Filipino fans mushrooming on Social Media, whether tweeter or FB.

As for US, I think the recent trajectory in K-pop and most recent one by Parasite helped to increase interest in Korean entertainment. Of course, without the right product like CLOY, that seems to just hit it right on the spot, it wouldn't have worked either. I do hope that CLOY will end up the most watched Kdrama in Netflix US by end of the year, or even mid-year - wonder if Netflix release mid-year data? It will be another great achievement for CLOY, to be able to penetrate the US TV audience.

Thanks for the UAE articles! WOW, CLOY was the only Kdrama in the Top 10 TV show list on Netflix UAE, and at NUMBER ONE no less!! So proud of CLOY!

CLOY's NK scenario and the NK-SK dilemma is one of its key attraction. I think the writer did an amazing job, together with her team of writers esp the NK writer, to come out with a script that is so funny, enjoyable and romantic, and yet able to impact the viewers on geopolitics and perception of NK. It was a Soft Influence and very effective!

2 hours ago, anney said:

Thanks for sharing this! Out of the many reviews written, this is one that resonates with me alot - from how she started the show with zero expectations and falling into the CLOY love trap haha and her descriptions of the acting, characters and overall charm of the show ♥️

Hi @anney  Great to see new fans of CLOY coming here to discuss and chat about the drama! This forum will remain open as long as Soompi forum is around, at least that's how I understand it LOL!! The review you quoted above was also one of my favorite! It captured the same feelings I had when I watched CLOY - I expected it to be cheesy and may even be a disaster on ratings, cuz of the initial negative comments before it even aired - didn't expect for myself to fall in love with it almost immediately LOL! When Ep 1 ended with RJH pulling YSR into his house and he just looked intensely at her under the lamp, and then the OST started ..... I was a goner hahaha!! And then that classic Epilogue of Captain Ri smiling secretly as YSR hangs on the tree with her funny walkie talkie talk..... Ep 2 was even better cuz we started to see more of the NK village, the F4 soldiers, the ahjummas, and of course the standoff between YSR and Captain Ri. It was Rom.Com at its best!! If I recall correctly, Ep 2 ended with Captain Ri walking in gallantly and proclaim YSR as his fiancee? That's when I cried, NO, I have to wait another week to find out what happens next??? I think that was probably the time I started searching for news and forums about CLOY and landed here on Soompi Forum lol!

2 hours ago, anney said:

Also, thank you for your consistent updates and inputs @TotoroSY!! I think someone mentioned it before, thank you for taking the time and effort to post and share so many info and news on our beloved show! 

You're welcome! It's been a long time since I've been so passionate about a drama or TV show. It was really fun to discuss CLOY while the episodes were airing. After the finale, this forum went on for awhile but quieten down later. So it's nice that it's active again. :D Plus, the news and accolades keeps coming in from different parts of the world, so I wanted to update this forum with the latest too.

2 hours ago, anney said:

The dramas I've watched to date are:

- Itaewon Class (it was an entertaining drama post-CLOY since it was more light and family/business focused. Couldn't handle a romance drama for some time after cloy lol)

- Mr Sunshine (interesting drama for background on korean history but the pace was way too slow for me..i think i only found the last few episodes enjoyable)

- MLFTS (same writer Park Ji Eun, it was interesting to see the similar themes/characteristics but definitely a far cry from her latest work. I'm so impressed at how much her writing and work has grown since)

- DOTS (first 3 episodes only, couldn't get pass that sorry)

- Vagabond (started off interesting but it started to fall apart towards the end imho. the ending was just..no)

- Signal (The one I enjoyed most from this list - mainly for its interesting/unique plot)

I have actually yet to check out HB & SYJ's past works (CLOY was their first work I've seen since my k-drama days ended way back) but I couldn't bring myself to watch their previous works yet simply because.....I can't bear to see them on screen with someone else (HAHA oh my I think i need help) I just want to retain the memories and images of them being on-screen only with each other for now lol.  Funny thing is my husband actually knew about HB more than me cause he watched/knew about Secret Garden from his younger days. 

Anyhow..if there are any really good dramas out there that would be worth watching to ease this withdrawal, would love to hear from you guys :) I'm thinking of checking out REPLY 1988 as that had a good rating and seems to be have been recommended/mentioned by some here previously. 

LOL!! I get what you mean by not wanting to watch other SYJ and HB dramas yet. Most of their dramas are romance comedy so if you are not ready to watch them with other romantic interest co-stars, then better not see it yet for now. But you can try catching their movies cuz not all are romance genre. The first one you should catch is the one starring HB and SYJ called The Negotiation. It was their first time working together, and cuz of that they wanted to work together again, then CLOY came along and the rest was history. Other non-romance movies I can remember top of mind :

HB - Confidential Assignment, The Swindlers

SYJ - The Last Princess, Truth Beneath

As for Kdramas recommendation :

I've watched 4 of the ones you've listed above - IC, MLFTS, Signal, DOTS (partial only, like you I couldn't get pass it, went to last ep to see ending).

- Since you like Signal which is investigative, you can try Stranger (Secret Forest).

- For romance, try Because This is My First Life and Healer,

- and if you wanna try fantasy-romance, there's Goblin.

- The Reply series is always good so do try that one too!

- And you may want to check out Sky Castle for a satire/ dark comedy genre - it's the 2nd highest rated cable TV drama but was #1 until it was overtaken by World of The Married just recently.

• Love 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, NYXbaby said:

Keeping vigil outside her hospital room while she was in critical condition 

Asking for an extra copy of her passport photo

Tying her hair with his hankie

• Love 2

On 5/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, NYXbaby said:

Well the whole drama has lots of candies for which we fell in love with RiRi couple.

As you said there are many and I will list those which have not been mentioned till now.However I will add  further to this when I recall some more.

1) That epilogue in epi 15 when they were walking under the  umbrella .RJH tilted it towards her so that she doesn't get wet and the camera focussed on his shoulders which was being hit by little raindrops.

2) When SR was a bit hesitant to go alone during that boat to boat transfer. RJH looked at her and took out another phone card  to accompany her.

3) Seri telling his mom in episode 9 when RJH was confronting his dad,that she will hide and won't appear in front of RJH so that he moves on .

4) At GSJ's villa, JH didn't forcefully drag her but rather accepted her decision after wiping away her tears.

5) After telling JH to back off, SR immediately runs after him thinking that he will die in that freezing winter.

6) SR giving her shoulder to a feverish RJH in that school.

7) The Pyongyang train journey when he bought all the things she asked and even lend his shoulders after wrapping his coat around her.

8) Covering her feet properly with the blanket when she was sleeping in his house.

9) During the nk hospital when an injured JH shared his bed with her so that she won't get cold. Plus he sweetly brushed  a strand of hair off her face.

10) RJH telling SR to lead a healthy lifestyle, date other men after going to SK but she shouldn't think about disappearing in a beautiful scenery again.

11) All the comforting hugs that RJH gave to SR when she was feeling low.

12)  Seri going for extra lengths to make sure RJH gets promoted even if it meant she had to deal with those nosey ahjummas.

13) JH waiting  with his bicycle outside Young Ae's house to pick up Seri .

14) RJH's taking good care of the tomato plant.Same goes for Seri in the case of Edelweiss .Plus the 10 words from both of them were a treat.

15) During their first encounter with Dan, Seri tried to flee from the scene. JH quickly tugged her and made sure she went back safe to his house.

• Like 1