Quantcast

[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

19 hours ago, eLizza said:

This is indeed a challenge. But I m kind of having my hopes high cause TWOM is going to end by next week. So untill Baeksang,there is still a chance that the hype may die down(not sure though)

.Also read a comment which said" you can watch TWOM only once whereas in case of CLOY people go back to rewatch it again and again".This only shows how memorable this show is and have been maintaining the buzz till now that even Korea's news outlets wrote articles that SYJ was finally seen  two months after CLOY :joy:.Her one post was enough to ease the dry spell even amongst the media.They were able to catch almost everyone from CLOY cast for interviews but not the leads..:D.

And yeah Mr. TROT is also a big hurdle. This time it is such a cut throat competition.

I just pray that judges take their time and analyse the performances properly..This time they must be feeling so pressured . I can foresee if CLOY wins big this time then Baeksang sure gonna get some backlash from obnoxious haters. Anyways why should we care .CLOY got its share of popularity across the world and back home. Winning the award will only be an icing on the cake.

LOL!! That's true, TWOM will end by next week, so there's 2-3 weeks of "less noise" for current drama and hopefully the judges will focus on CLOY too, and also see all the articles about CLOY's international success.  

I think I said the same thing before, that you can only watch TWOM once but can watch CLOY numerous times! Cuz one gives you heartburn while the other gives you heart flutter LOL! One time heart burn is enough for the excitement, but my heart can flutter as many times as it wants to. I just feel good watching CLOY. :D

For sure CLOY has already achieved acclaim that is above and beyond what was expected, and I am so happy for it cuz I really think the drama and cast/ crew/ writer/ director FULLY DESERVE it! Most of the naysayers are just being "elitist".

9 hours ago, veespn said:

Cloy is going viral in Japan despite the decline of hallyu drama in the country. I read somewhere maybe in Vogue Japan or Yahoo they said that Cloy is so special because it attracts people from many generations. Its like a winter sonata 2.0 there. 

Wow really? Is the media or fans calling it Winter Sonata 2.0? Wish we have more updates from Japanese fans/ viewers and media cuz we don't really know CLOY's performance in Japan, which is the biggest Asia Netflix country (subscribers).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ratings episode 14 (Nielsen Korea)   Nationwide: 17.705% Seoul: 18.612%  

@Lawyerh , @cenching , @sadthe1st @Sejabin , @im0202 , @vangsweetie637 @lu09 @Sarang21 @thanie , @hibiscus23  now we know how he will be if his wife giving birth  # don’t move darling   

more kiss will be clearly dangerous    Seri : that enough I can’t handle it  Oppa face expression ( are you sure   )       

59 minutes ago, TotoroSY said:

Wow really? Is the media or fans calling it Winter Sonata 2.0? Wish we have more updates from Japanese fans/ viewers and media cuz we don't really know CLOY's performance in Japan, which is the biggest Asia Netflix country (subscribers).

I m not sure but read somewhere that the Winter Sonata wave remained in Japan for almost 10 years. And BYJ earned a massive fanbase there. If CLOY is Winter Sonata 2.0 then it is doing  really great there.:love:.I think  its has been in 1st position for almost a week in Japan.Even before that CLOY was almost always in top 10.

• Like 2

Hey peeps! I'm currently watching CLOY at the moment. Glad to discover this forum. I have a question. Is there really a 10.5 episode? I'm watching on Dramacool platform and there is no sub for this. 

Hope you all can help. Thanks! :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

Hey peeps! I'm currently watching CLOY at the moment. Glad to discover this forum. I have a question. Is there really a 10.5 episode? I'm watching on Dramacool platform and there is no sub for this. 

10.5  was aired when CLOY went on a hiatus due to lunar new year in January.It consisted of bts and some fun chats between company 5..I watched the subbed version of it in a site called Kissasian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Walk Kindly said:

@Wuzetian i hope this link could help what you're looking for..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VGZXqZarPDt-FqoBkDMS8Xh5PCiAgOOH/view

Is it legal?

@TotoroSY

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/nakajimakei/20200508-00177604/ 

The article said that not only young people do enjoy the show but also the middle-aged and older generation. Especially the blackout scene in North Korea. Older Japanese people felt nostalgic because there were a lot of power shortages in Japan when they were young. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, eLizza said:

I m not sure but read somewhere that the Winter Sonata wave remained in Japan for almost 10 years. And BYJ earned a massive fanbase there. If CLOY is Winter Sonata 2.0 then it is doing  really great there.:love:.I think  its has been in 1st position for almost a week in Japan.Even before that CLOY was almost always in top 10.

Yes, Winter Sonata was MEGA BIG in Japan (and also in other parts of Asia)  for a very long time!! I find that Japanese fans tend to be very loyal, and esp since many Winter Sonata and BYJ fans are working ladies/ housewives (vs very young audiences). I was also a big fan of Winter Sonata and watched it many times. LOL!! (yes, I've been into Kdrama for a long time, then went away for awhile and now am back).  I can't gauge if CLOY is really as big as WS since I've not seen the news about it except for the article posted by veespn below. If the auto-translate is working well, seems CLOY has been Top 10 in Netflix Japan since Feb (I think it aired starting 23 Feb) and now in week 1 of May, it's occupying #1 position! For CLOY to hit it really really big in Japan (ie. like WS which was a cultural phenomena), I think probably it needs to go on Japan National TV (which is what made WS went from a big hit to a MEGA hit). 

4 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

Hi there! Just in case you can't watch/ download from the Google Drive link, here's the direct link to Kissasian site for Ep 10.5

https://kissasian.sh/Drama/Crash-Landing-on-You/Episode-10-5?id=53748&s=fe&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=6178bc8f4c666e8c5708193501dd21aa686eb462-1589126033-0-AaJp0K4N89bjB0lIObj2gtcvyHW--iNq7NHqSNDPQ7vQhR8c0MfiCestGDIhfcA780ZfyZby1BDygKctWlasaD0vSBvtJQX4BZwHZBiAtjjpy_J9_4JpiHrYI8BgZAC-35WJkGFrGAFt6ArCCyrVRosuUD8C8uTtG3HeczEmqEdjz6Meg7evVJSX3xqXFvk9XXp89v6kP3JzyCct4DwcubYy5loTyhbpLCY-q7GAe0tcynBxPMmW1awNhl7LTscUR0_vZoOs1Z_EqM50ApQY8Yq3DAwapybB0bAwTydz6KGr10q21z8FQRmlZ2jsn0R1xpGsz6808_HVxcXASC5lm7emytA0ggU0m_cLX1vg3-1r

3 hours ago, veespn said:

@TotoroSY

The article said that not only young people do enjoy the show but also the middle-aged and older generation. Especially the blackout scene in North Korea. Older Japanese people felt nostalgic because there were a lot of power shortages in Japan when they were young. 

Wow, thanks for this! That was pretty insightful news of CLOY's success in Japan! From the auto-translate, seems it was Top 10 since Feb, and now it's at #1. I wonder if SK media will start picking up on this since it's been awhile since Kdrama wave becomes a big hit in Japan.

From some tweets I saw, CLOY was aired in Netflix Japan at the same time of the hugely popular anime Demon Slayer, which took #1 position in Feb/ Mar. Now looks like CLOY is picking up steam and garnering a lot of audience and new fans in Japan! That article was so detailed, so the writer must have watched CLOY and also did a lot of research. I like how she said that, knowing the NK story was very close to reality, made her even more absorbed into the story. I had the same experience - the more I researched into the NK reality vs CLOY and saw how close it was, the more I love the drama!

Hope there will be more and more success stories of CLOY in Japan and other countries so that the fire keeps burning, esp as we approach final judging for Baeksang. :D

10 hours ago, Fiera said:

Here's my honest opinion about cloy, to me cloy is the unique drama,and its original story about the situation in korea..to me its a center point whats makes these drama is unique. And the storyline..although its about love but the love is so classic and mature..not some modern love story like these days. The feeling of mature,neat and enduring love story is what ppl need to see these days..for that..u need a great actors to develop it into the screen...and here goes the cast.

Yejin and hyun bin no doubt they play the role is so perfect..if ure bad at choosing what kind of acting and not careful at playing the role,these drama can be too cheesy and lame and bored. To me its not so easy to build the original character that is so fit together and to send us the emotions..and we feel it!i feel it..i never felt watching the love drama like this..i watch dots goblin they have a love stories but the vibe didnt get me..even the western.

To me yejin and hyun bin is a perfect pair of cloy and from all century of kdrama haha. She can be funny,can be fierce can be cute can be sad and mellow and in 1 drama she can be many many emotion and its not easy. Made me feel yoon seri sadness,happiness and many feeling she gave to audience..and Hyun bin, although he's not talk to much but his character is so good he can making it natural..not too much and not less...all is on point! Not waste of acting!u have to show ur expression (which is is good!) Body language and eyes! I can feel his feeling towards his acting.

To me cloy is a perfect package of kdrama in all aspect..these drama is a healer

Hi @Fiera  Welcome to the CLOY forum! Enjoyed reading your thots very much. Wanted to reply you but didn't know where to start cuz you have shared a lot of things. Firstly, I totally agree that the love in CLOY is very classic and mature. Not only is it about Romance, it's really like Pure Love (as cliche as it sounds). Plus there's also love of friendship, family, country and more. And your description of SYJ and HB's acting was spot on! I felt the same way.  They really make you believe they are YSR and RJH, and that they really love each other with a mature and pure love. I like what you call CLOY, that it's a Healer. No wonder we love rewatching it cuz we feel so good each time. :D

You made a very valid point, that SYJ and HB had to create their roles from scratch, based on the writer's script. They made the role and they own it.

As for TWOTM, it's certainly not a drama you want to watch a 2nd time, at least not for me. Too stressful LOL!  The acting is really very good in this drama, and yes it was re-created from Doctor Foster. Though I can't tell if the characters are exactly the same since I have not watch the original. I just know the storyline is very similar. I think the fact that Baeksang did not nominate TWOTM for Best Drama and Best Screenplay is them acknowledging that this is not an original SK work but adaptation. 

Now the advantage TWOTM actors/ actress has vs CLOY in Baeksang, is that TWOTM has the "shock" factor. Sometimes this is what happens when it comes to awards for acting performances. That's the reality of it. Subtle acting usually is seen as less "powerful". For example, a current drama Hospital Playlist, with wonderful and natural acting, did not get any Best Actor/ Actress nomination. Which I thot was kinda regretful. 

So at the end of the day, the judges will still decide, and we can only pray they see the CLOY "light" lol!

I've used a better Japanese-English online translator to translate the first half of the article (2nd half mainly just describe what happened in the drama about NK) posted by veespn :

It gives better insight on why it is becoming a hit amongst Japan audience - esp like the explanation "it is said that many people are addicted to it because they think it is impossible, but if it were, it would be wonderful."

The Real Life of North Korea as Seen in the South Korean Drama "Love's Crash Landing," which attracts Japanese middle-aged and older viewers

In the midst of a long and unsettling nest egg life, the Korean drama "Love's Crash Landing" is becoming a huge hit in Japan. Netflix, the fastest-growing online video distribution service, has been in the top 10 for the second consecutive month since February. It has become a big topic not only among young people, but also among middle-aged and older people who were once hooked on "Winter Sonata" and the like. Why is it that more and more Japanese people are hooked on "Love's Crash Landing"?

Why I'm hooked on the "unlikely" setting

Love's Unexpected Arrival was broadcast on Korean cable television from December 2019 to February 2020, hitting an unusually high 21.7% viewership for a cable broadcast, making it the all-time No. 1 hitter.

In the first place, the setting is a love drama between an elite North Korean officer and a South Korean zaibatsu warlord, which "would never happen! It's called. The story begins with a Korean businesswoman, Yoon Seri, who ends up landing in North Korea unexpectedly after a paragliding accident.

Lee Jong-hyuk, a North Korean soldier who meets her by chance, takes her under his wing, and their love for each other grows as they live together... The title and content of this drama is like a "daytime soap opera", but it is likened to a "modern version of Romeo and Juliet" in that it unfolds on the royal road of this romantic drama while interweaving the harsh realities of the North and South, and it is said that many people are addicted to it because they think it is impossible, but if it were, it would be wonderful.

In addition, it is said that many people were "hooked" and fascinated by the way Seri, who has lived with heartbreak despite being economically fortunate in South Korea, comes into contact with the humanity of the simple North Korean people and is moved and changed by their feelings, and by the way Jung Hyuk, a North Korean man, is not a man and a woman in the military, but is willing to risk his life to support the woman he loves.

More than anything else, I feel that many people watched this drama and were able to realize that the people of the North are just as full-blooded with joy, anger and sorrow as we are, and that they too are living desperately in the place where they were born.

What sets this drama apart from other Korean dramas is that it portrays the lives of ordinary people in North Korea in a very real way, which the mass media reports hardly reveal. When producing the drama, the scriptwriters interviewed a large number of North Korean defectors from the beginning, and interviewed them closely about the realities of life in the region. The result is a more detailed portrayal of life in the North than in previous works, such as those depicting the military situation in the North and South.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

GOSH!! Hope someone can post something after me so that I don't have to keep adding to this one post lol! I got a warning from a moderator for posting continuous times within the 1 hour, so now I dare not do that anymore ....

Anyways, I was SO CURIOUS about CLOY's success in Japan so I googled the Japanese title of CLOY and came across quite a number of articles. This one is especially insightful - it talked about CLOY being Top 10 since Feb airing and even till now it's Top 3 (in fact in May it's #1 - the article was written in April). The article made VERY great points on the important and serious themes that CLOY carries despite it's rom.com genre, ie it has many hidden messages on current issues. Just use Google Translate - it is pretty understandable!

https://www.businessinsider.jp/post-211538

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

First, I just say that I am really happy with CLOY's Baeksang nominations. I hope they bring home a lot of trophies on June 05.  Also so happy that CLOY continues to be talked about outside of SK.

I understand that  the NK-SK part of the  show is a bit sensitive to SK especially now that tensions are again rising but I hope the worldwide popularity of CLOY will still  get the attention and be recognized by mainstream SK media.

Anyway, here is a news article from Arab News:

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1671871/saudi-arabia

What We Are Watching Today: ‘Crash Landing on You’

Short Url
https://arab.news/ww5qw

Updated 09 May 2020

AMEERA ABID
May 09, 2020
01:20

“Crash Landing on You” is a Korean production boasting all the elements of a great drama serial, and so much more. The show depicts devotion, pure love, friendship, politics and fun all at the same time.
The story revolves around Yoon Se Ri (played by Son Ye Jin), who while paragliding gets stuck in a storm and ends up falling across the South Korean border into North Korea. He is found by the drama’s protagonist, a North Korean soldier, Ri Jeong Hyuk (played by Hyun bin).
The story kicks off from there, as they struggle to protect each other and help Yoon Se Ri cross the border. What I liked most was the bond between the whole team. There were obvious differences between the two countries and how the two main characters lived and stayed in each other’s homelands.
Even for viewers new to Korean dramas, the story progression and stunning visuals in this 16-episode serial is worth watching. If you are exploring your interests and looking to discover new things during lockdown, “Crash Landing on You” is a perfect choice. The drama is a production of Studio Dragon and written by Park Ji-Eun. The show is available on Netflix.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have a question one of the scenes, hoping someone can enlighten me on this.

The scene where RJH was dressing up at YSR's house and putting on his watch to join her at the new shop opening event, when SR told JH that he's wearing the watch that she planned to give him but then she lost it (because she was 'kidnapped' by JH's dad). Then JH said:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-11-at-11-04-59-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-05-11-at-11-05-19-AM.pn

Can someone please explain to me what he meant by that? Was he referring to all that happened with SR leading to JH finding the chip at the back of that watch that helped him to put CCG into jail? Thank you!

...And here is another international article that features CLOY!!!! ...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/may/11/crash-landing-on-you-parachute-into-this-addictively-romantic-south-korean-soap-opera

Crash Landing On You: parachute into this addictively romantic South Korean soap opera

A freak tornado, a paragliding misadventure, and a love that crosses the divide between North and South – and that’s just for starters

South Korea’s biggest current television hit is a fantastical tale of a billionaire heiress who accidentally paraglides into the North and falls in love with a chivalrous army officer serving Kim Jong Un.

South Korea’s television hit Crash Landing on You is a fantastical tale of an heiress who accidentally paraglides into the North and falls in love with a chivalrous army officer serving Kim Jong-un. Photograph: tvN/AFP via Getty Images

Published on Mon 11 May 2020 05.18 BST

Who have you been spending your lockdown with? I’ve been spending mine with spectacularly good-looking Koreans in spectacularly unlikely romantic scenarios.

It all began with Crash Landing on You, a tale of love, friendship and beauty products that spans the divide between South and North Korea. It’s addictively off-the-wall, heartbreaking and hilarious – and since the show is only available in Korean audio with English subtitles, it demands your full attention. No more scrolling through horror news feeds on your mobile! Hurrah!

Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin) is a millionaire K-beauty entrepreneur and also a pro-am paraglider with her own lifestyle brand. She has just been nominated as heir to her father’s slightly dodgy business empire, surpassing two numbskull brothers who radiate extreme Trump Jr energy. Testing out some athleisure wear while paragliding, Se-ri gets sucked into a freak tornado and dumped into the demilitarised zone between South and North Korea. There, she’s discovered by an extremely dishy North Korean soldier (Captain Ri, played by Hyun Bin) who tries to help her return south, but she runs the wrong way and ends up in hiding. At his house. And that’s just the first 20 minutes.

Son Ye-jin as Yoon Se-ri in Crash Landing On You

Son Ye-jin as Yoon Se-ri in Crash Landing On You. Photograph: tvN/AFP via Getty Images

Captain Ri is a self-sufficient, military Mr Darcy to Se-ri’s spunky and blithe corporate princess. As is the way of these things, they are first irritated by each other, then fascinated. They suffer through increasingly dangerous scrapes. They discover each other’s tragic histories. They’re torn apart and put back together and fall into an impossible love. But will fate and geopolitics allow them to live happily ever after?

So far, so Mills and Boon. But Crash Landing is much richer and weirder than that. A big part of the fun comes from the supporting characters, offering comedy and pathos and the occasional comforting bowl of ramen to our star-crossed lovers. There’s Captain Ri’s troop of loyal, loveable soldiers, who bravely follow him all the way into the heart of evil capitalism (Seoul). And the chorus of village women who jostle for status and eventually accept Se-ri into their girl gang, even though they think she’s probably a spy.

Crash Landing is hardly an outlier. But it is brave and optimistic in its portrayal of the North.

Crash Landing is hardly an outlier. But it is brave and optimistic in its portrayal of the North. Photograph: tvN/AFP via Getty Images

We also wind up with a secondary set of lovers (this time a Northern girl and Southern boy) whose fates are entwined with our main couple. When I first binged Crash Landing, I was new to K-drama and took this just as a neat plot point. Having now crammed myself full of Korean melodramas during isolation, I can see this is a feature of the genre. Other tropes I’m noticing: forgotten chance meetings, dramatic piggyback rides, and at least one scene per show where the heroine gets totally juiced on beer. Oh, and I’ve learned that in the world of Korean melodramas, Crash Landing on You’s storyline ranks as positively plausible. So far I’ve watched a Freaky Friday-type body swap drama, another where a publicist falls in love with an AI hologram, and one featuring a circus ringmaster and a guy who spends half his time in a fugue state believing he’s a heroic cartoonist. It’s all hyper-entertaining and enchantingly weird.

So, Crash Landing is hardly an outlier. But it is brave and optimistic in its portrayal of the North. An interest in the conflict was why I clicked on the show to start with. For the most part, Crash Landing’s version of North Korea is quite wholesome. The apple-cheeked villagers are sometimes bumpkin-ish, but hardly ignorant or brainwashed. The grimmer aspects of Northern life (scarcity, blackouts, one-party rule) are acknowledged gently, though we do see some darker stuff when state security comes into play. Overall, the emphasis is on a shared humanity, a shared Koreanness, despite the divide. And that can be genuinely touching.

But, look, you don’t have to know or care about that at all to embrace the oddball majesty of Crash Landing. Watch it for the rollicking adventure story. Or for the beautiful people doing romantic things. Or for the chance to laugh and cry and scream at the telly, and not think about anything else aside from how a North Korean guy and a South Korean girl boss can possibly make it in this crazy world of ours.

• Crash Landing On You is streaming in Australia on Netflix

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ncly said:

I have a question one of the scenes, hoping someone can enlighten me on this.

The scene where RJH was dressing up at YSR's house and putting on his watch to join her at the new shop opening event, when SR told JH that he's wearing the watch that she planned to give him but then she lost it (because she was 'kidnapped' by JH's dad). Then JH said:

Can someone please explain to me what he meant by that? Was he referring to all that happened with SR leading to JH finding the chip at the back of that watch that helped him to put CCG into jail? Thank you!

Yes, that's the reason. Cuz YSR found the watch at the pawnshop and got it for RJH, and though she lost it, it was found again by Jung Mok's son and JM then gave it to RJH. With that chip, RJH was able to find proof for CCG's crimes and also put an end to why/ how his brother was killed. I think the closure of his brother's death was also a great consolation to him, plus the recording of his brother's last conversation from JM must have also helped heal his broken heart. All these happened cuz YSR found the watch. :D

2 hours ago, Dee.84 said:

Thanks for this new article and also the Arab News one! The Guardian write-up is so funny! The author has a great sense of humour, and obviously enjoyed the show very much. :D But I am a bit confused as I thot this article was from the UK (cuz of Guardian) but at the bottom it referred to Netflix Australia. So The Guardian has a different Australian version from the UK one? Interesting....

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Adding this early-April article which show the Top-watched shows on Netflix for month of March, based on data by Reelgood. There was a previous article showing Mar 21-27 data where CLOY was ranked 6th. But for full month March, CLOY was actually ranked #3!! I think there was a previous post from a blogger site on the same info, but this is the original source from BGR.

https://bgr.com/2020/04/04/most-watched-tv-shows-on-netflix-march-quarantines/

Here’s a rundown of the top Netflix series for March, per Reelgood:

1. Love is Blind
  2. Elite
  3. Crash Landing on You
  4. Sex Education
  5. Stranger Things
  6. I Am Not Okay with This
  7. The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez
  8. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness
  9. Money Heist
  10. Better Call Saul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello CLOY fans!

I'm new here!

CLOY was my first Korean Drama series. I don't know how I can watch another new series since they set the bar so high.

SOOO GOOD! I was hooked instantly since Episode 1. 

This has probably been discussed in previous pages....but at the last epsiode Seri said "this is the best 2 weeks".  Does this mean they only see each other 2 weeks a year? With RJH discharged from the army, was it temporary?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, madmeg said:

Hello CLOY fans!

I'm new here!

CLOY was my first Korean Drama series. I don't know how I can watch another new series since they set the bar so high.

SOOO GOOD! I was hooked instantly since Episode 1. 

This has probably been discussed in previous pages....but at the last epsiode Seri said "this is the best 2 weeks".  Does this mean they only see each other 2 weeks a year? With RJH discharged from the army, was it temporary?

Welcome to CLOY addition! It's difficult to get over this drama LOL!!

Yes, from what I understand it means they meet in Switzerland for 2 weeks every year. Which is a bummer.... so in most of our minds, they start with 2 weeks and eventually find ways to meet up more and more often. :D 

RJH was discharged fully from military and joined as a pianist for the National Symphony. That's why he gets to travel to Switzerland. Most likely as part of the NK contingent of students & performers who got scholarship or funding from the Foundation that YSR helped her brother set-up within the dad's company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, TotoroSY said:

Welcome to CLOY addition! It's difficult to get over this drama LOL!!

Yes, from what I understand it means they meet in Switzerland for 2 weeks every year. Which is a bummer.... so in most of our minds, they start with 2 weeks and eventually find ways to meet up more and more often. :D 

RJH was discharged fully from military and joined as a pianist for the National Symphony. That's why he gets to travel to Switzerland. Most likely as part of the NK contingent of students & performers who got scholarship or funding from the Foundation that YSR helped her brother set-up within the dad's company.

I cried rivers of tears  :bawling:  Finally I've finished the whole journey of 16 episodes just a while ago...But like you pointed out they meet only 2 weeks a year?? Or could he be managing the students/performers there? They went through so much of hurdles and hardships, thought the first thing is to settle down together...Or was it because they are kinda "married" since they have exchanged rings already. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

I cried rivers of tears  :bawling:  Finally I've finished the whole journey of 16 episodes just a while ago...But like you pointed out they meet only 2 weeks a year?? Or could he be managing the students/performers there? They went through so much of hurdles and hardships, thought the first thing is to settle down together...Or was it because they are kinda "married" since they have exchanged rings already. 

It’s kind of an “open ending” and the maybe the best/closest to reality that could happen without making RJH defect - doing so could get his parents killed. And making them married will invoke political issues in SK probably why they avoided going that route. 

Given their predicaments (SK vs NK), 2 weeks a year to see each other is already a gift. In reality, SK/NK couples and families separated by war don’t get that chance. They only get a chance when both governments have those reunification programs which hardly last a day. 

The way I see it, they’re probably seeing each other 2 weeks a year after the 1st reunion. I’d like to believe there’s a time gap between the students’ concert in Swiss and the picnic scene at the end. The chalet shows framed photos of them together which COULD indicate they were able to come up with a better solution for them to be together longer or maybe permanently - maybe RJH’s parents has died or maybe he has moved to Switzerland for another scholarship/teaching job. I’d like to believe they were able to come up with a better way to be together forever seeing how much they love and can’t do without each other. 

Edited by MsHoon2219
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
Posted (edited)

There were so many parts where I wished they hugged or showed more affection instead of just standing there looking at each other. 

RJH and SR have such good chemistry. I'm glad it was a happy ending but I wish the ending was just as intense as the rest of the episodes.

30 minutes ago, MsHoon2219 said:

It’s kind of an “open ending” and the maybe the best/closest to reality that could happen without making RJH defect - doing so could get his parents killed. And making them married will invoke political issues in SK probably why they avoided going that route. 

Given their predicaments (SK vs NK), 2 weeks a year to see each other is already a gift. In reality, SK/NK couples and families separated by war don’t get that chance. They only get a chance when both governments have those reunification programs which hardly last a day. 

The way I see it, they’re probably seeing each other 2 weeks a year after the 1st reunion. I’d like to believe there’s a time gap between the students’ concert in Swiss and the picnic scene at the end. The chalet shows framed photos of them together which COULD indicate they were able to come up with a better solution for them to be together longer or maybe permanently - maybe RJH’s parents has died or maybe he has moved to Switzerland for another scholarship/teaching job. I’d like to believe they were able to come up with a better way to be together forever seeing how much they love and can’t do without each other. 

You're right about the open ending. It is really up to us as viewers to think what ended up happening even those it was a good ending. 

The ending allowed us as viewers to use our imagination. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Thanks! That's a good explanation of the open ending of our OTP. I think that was the best ending that the writer can give without incurring any political sensitivity eg. There's a reunification of the 2 Koreas (pretty controversial since it's so far from that reality currently) or RJH defect to South Korea which will make him a NK traitor and his parents will be persecuted. So this meeting up in Switzerland once a year was the "best ending" in this circumstance.

Many many pages ago (can't recall when), I posted a video of a NK national judo athelete who met a Taiwanese Judo athlete in a World competition and they fell in love. They then met once a year during an international games and dated during those few weeks together, and this happened 2-3 years. Finally the NK Judo athlete defected to SK (cuz he was given bad treatment after losing first place to a SK athlete) and the Taiwanese lady also migrated to SK and they got married. :D So the ending of CLOY is actually not that unrealistic.

I tried to find this video again but could not.

• Awesome 2
2 hours ago, madmeg said:

There were so many parts where I wished they hugged or showed more affection instead of just standing there looking at each other. 

RJH and SR have such good chemistry. I'm glad it was a happy ending but I wish the ending was just as intense as the rest of the episodes.

You're right about the open ending. It is really up to us as viewers to think what ended up happening even those it was a good ending. 

The ending allowed us as viewers to use our imagination. 

OMG yes! There were a lot of times when I was almost yelling at tv that they kiss already! Lol. I know those long standing stares and lack of intimacy is kinda common in kdramas but dang it was such a bummer with CLOY.  I was also waiting/hoping for a bed scene - the drunk/confession scene could have been perfect :sweatingbullets:

I read a few reviews and opinions about the lack of skinship and it has @probably been discussed here a few pages back. One of them is RJH’s strict and conservative upbring being raised in NK. Another point raised is they probably didn’t want to commit that far into the relationship to avoid further pain knowing they aren’t really endgame - remember Seri asked Capt Ri to try as much as possible not to make memories with her because she didn't want to be longing for it when he leaves.  And back in NK when Seri was about to leave she asked for a hug but RJH just offered a handshake instead. In a way, they were trying to protect each other from bigger heartbreaks. Of course these has all changed towards the end of the series when it became clearer for our OTP that there’s no other place they’d rather be than next to each other. And probably why they had a better more passionate kiss when they reunited in Switzerland :wub:

57 minutes ago, TotoroSY said:

Thanks! That's a good explanation of the open ending of our OTP. I think that was the best ending that the writer can give without incurring any political sensitivity eg. There's a reunification of the 2 Koreas (pretty controversial since it's so far from that reality currently) or RJH defect to South Korea which will make him a NK traitor and his parents will be persecuted. So this meeting up in Switzerland once a year was the "best ending" in this circumstance.

Many many pages ago (can't recall when), I posted a video of a NK national judo athelete who met a Taiwanese Judo athlete in a World competition and they fell in love. They then met once a year during an international games and dated during those few weeks together, and this happened 2-3 years. Finally the NK Judo athlete defected to SK (cuz he was given bad treatment after losing first place to a SK athlete) and the Taiwanese lady also migrated to SK and they got married. :D So the ending of CLOY is actually not that unrealistic.

I tried to find this video again but could not.

so sweet! Love indeed can move mountains :wub: I also read a similar story from that washington post review and it’s nice cause it gives cloy storyline a bit of resemblance to people’s realities. In a way, CLOY honors their struggles and celebrates their triumphs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1