[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

Ha Ha, good news for middle aged guys, if they happen to live in North Korea.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

South Korean actor Hyun Bin won’t be sweeping any real North Korean women off their feet anytime soon, according to defector and YouTuber Park Yoo-sung.

Hyun Bin has been in the spotlight for playing charismatic North Korean army captain Ri Jeong-hyuk in Netflix’s Crash Landing on You, but Park said he felt “suspicious” of the drama’s portrayal of the star as a dashing heartthrob.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

https://www.malaymail.com/news/showbiz/2020/04/03/pot-bellies-preferred-defector-says-k-drama-star-hyun-bin-doesnt-meet-north/1853164 

• LOL 2

16 minutes ago, emily_fling said:

shes truly a fashionista. 

i am so happy for Kim Jung Hyun and

Seo Ji Hye’s new project!! That too, them as the Main Lead! :D

cant wait to watch them on the screen. fightin’ :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hope everyone's doing well 2 months post-CLOY!  4 more months to go until the end of the 6 months condolences period.  I've been turning to k-movies which probably is OK for the condolences period which to me applies just to dramas :).

Coming back here since I now have a surge in friends watching CLOY and it's so interesting to hear about their initial thoughts and how they view the characters, their favourite scenes, what scenes they cried (or didn't cry) watching, and so on...  It's so hard to restrain commenting extensively with them (like doing the analysis we do here) without sounding a bit over the top!

Anyway, for my purposes of being able to chat with my friends about why RJH acted so nicely to YSR from the get-go, can you guys remind me where we landed on the question "did he remember her from 7 years ago in Switzerland?"  On the one hand, that smile from episode 1 suggests he did remember her (even if it was a faint memory). On the other hand, there's that scene after he played games where he gave the most surprised reaction hearing his own voice in her voice recorder, slowly the memory came back to him.  This coupled with the equally subdued surprised and overwhelmed-with-joy look when he saw her photo (which he took) in his camera after SD gave it to him (last episode). 

I was never really convinced he remembered her (based alone on the look we saw in episode 1's epilogue- I always thought that was him finding this woman on the tree amusing) but were there other hints suggesting he did remember her??

• Like 3

9 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

Anyway, for my purposes of being able to chat with my friends about why RJH acted so nicely to YSR from the get-go, can you guys remind me where we landed on the question "did he remember her from 7 years ago in Switzerland?"  On the one hand, that smile from episode 1 suggests he did remember her (even if it was a faint memory). On the other hand, there's that scene after he played games where he gave the most surprised reaction hearing his own voice in her voice recorder, slowly the memory came back to him.  This coupled with the equally subdued surprised and overwhelmed-with-joy look when he saw her photo (which he took) in his camera after SD gave it to him (last episode). 

I was never really convinced he remembered her (based alone on the look we saw in episode 1's epilogue- I always thought that was him finding this woman on the tree amusing) but were there other hints suggesting he did remember her??

Hi there, my view Is as per what was shown in the drama: No he don’t remember her. Or should i say, he have memory of the woman on the bridge, recording her last message to her family before jumping off, but he does not know the woman was SR until he heard the recording. I guess the reason why he smiled seeing her on the tree was that he finds her amusing, plus she is “his style”.

• Insightful 2

I think he didn't remember her. Putting it another way, he must have liked her twice. He thought she was totally his type during their very brief encounter in Switzerland. Maybe not to that extent as he nicely put it to Seri, but he definitely smiled and found her very fascinating.

On a side notes, some people change overtime. Some dont change much. I used to like a song very much when I was young and had no means to search for its name back then. 10 years later, I happened to listen to that song again and immediately love it and this time searching for tittle, lyrics, etc. Then memories came back and I realize it's the song I've been loving all along even just listened once. My face was purely happy just like RJH when he realized he had met her before.

Just a side note, of course :D Feel like my personalities resemble this character somehow.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, Katelyn Lana said:

Both second leads r getting their own dramas as first leads now.....N Seo Ji Hye's drama will air on May4.

With the performance of both Kim Jung Hyun and Seo Ji Hye they should've built a second season around Seung Jun & Dan.

With the popularity of CLOY world wide, coupled with all the reported backlash the writers took on the subject of Seung Jun's death - use a little kdrama license and bring him back.

There was no funeral, no grave, and the only characters to actually say he died, were in South Korea, and couldn't have confirmed it with any certainty.

I'd love to see a drama centered on these two characters :blush:

LCO

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:54 PM, jamy47 said:

Something i noticed while rewatching; I dont think the second male lead died (forgot his name). I think SD helped him fake his death and he went hiding somewhere in Europe and SD must wait a while and then go meet him. When she said she was going to Russia then smiled, it was a hint. 

I wanted 20% for the ending so i'm happy.  They are in a special club now; one of the dramas to hit 20% on cable network. It's a very exclusive club to be part of. So well deserved! I'm happy for the entire team! Job well done!

That crossed my mind too! I don't know if it's just a cliff hanger or they plan to put something new with that. I loved the seconds leads story as well. Cried a lot !!! :(

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

With the performance of both Kim Jung Hyun and Seo Ji Hye they should've built a second season around Seung Jun & Dan.

With the popularity of CLOY world wide, coupled with all the reported backlash the writers took on the subject of Seung Jun's death - use a little kdrama license and bring him back.

There was no funeral, no grave, and the only characters to actually say he died, were in South Korea, and couldn't have confirmed it with any certainty.

I'd love to see a drama centered on these two characters :blush:

LCO

That is true! Seo dan only seen cried hugging the blue jacket of seung jun but the other scenes it's like he just went somewhere... so i'm imagining things here.:wub:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 1

If Cloy is produced in the USA, I am sure there will be season 2 considering its landslide success, but it seems that Korean producers do not follow this practice, and we could hardly expect a sequel. I am still watching Cloy for N times as I can not move on with other dramas, which all fail to trigger my emotion as much as Cloy. 

• Like 3

Ahhh...I convinced someone else in my house to watch this, and so we just finished (her first time, my second). It was just as good the second time around, and both of us cried our eyes out. It is haaaaaaard to touch this one! Wonderful acting, directing, script, cinematography, and music. I've been biting my tongue the whole time, wanting to talk about things and not be spoilery, and now finally I can say all the things I was thinking while watching, what a relief! :D

And no, there's no second season for most Korean shows. I actually like that, though--when you go into a Kdrama, you know there will be an actual point to the story, and an ending. American shows just trail on and on until people get bored and the show gets cut--whether or not the story has ended. I feel like anything after this would be anticlimactic. They went through alllllllll of that, and still found each other. What more can you say to that? Anything else would either pale against what they went through, or would require dismantling what they have already worked for and resolved, just to make more conflict. (Unless you did something completely different with the second leads? It would be hard in this case, but for some, you could do it...)

I do get it, though--there's still that itch of wanting it to not be over. The next best thing is finding someone else to watch it, and enjoying it for the first time vicariously all over again, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

01178-D99-1-C29-4294-B278-FF67-C680664-C

The fact that more than 9000 people cared to rate/comment about CLOY is very telling how immensely popular the show is. Goblin and DOTS are hugely popular during their time but now i am convinced that CLOY is on another level. It became a PANDEMIC!!!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 2

So proud of CLOY!! It has been featured YET AGAIN in top series to watch internationally in a US top news media - this time it's Washington Post. Our YSR/ SYJ was even featured in the main picture!

.https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/04/16/fauda-money-heist-international-tv-shows/

From ‘Fauda’ to ‘Money Heist,’ here are 11 international shows to stream right now

Son Ye-jin in “Crash Landing on You.” (Lim Hyo Seon/Netflix)

Son Ye-jin in “Crash Landing on You.” (Lim Hyo Seon/Netflix) ((Lim Hyo Seon/Lim Hyo Seon/Netflix)

By 

April 16, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. GMT+8

We can’t travel right now, but that doesn’t mean we have to limit our perspectives to this side of the Atlantic when it comes to the pop culture we consume. Here is a guide to some of the best international TV offerings on Netflix and other streaming platforms.

If you like romantic drama/comedy

“Crash Landing on You” (2019)

Sure, the premise of this South Korean drama — about a wealthy South Korean business executive who ends up on the North Korean side of the region’s demilitarized zone after a paragliding outing goes awry — necessitates some suspension of disbelief. But the popular K drama (one of the highest-rated shows to ever air on South Korean cable before its arrival on Netflix) is so charming it’s easy to forget reality’s constraints and binge your way through. And as Post Beijing bureau chief Anna Fifield recently noted, the show is rather groundbreaking in its nuanced portrayal of North Koreans.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

On 4/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, blue_fleurs said:

Hope everyone's doing well 2 months post-CLOY!  4 more months to go until the end of the 6 months condolences period.  I've been turning to k-movies which probably is OK for the condolences period which to me applies just to dramas :).

Coming back here since I now have a surge in friends watching CLOY and it's so interesting to hear about their initial thoughts and how they view the characters, their favourite scenes, what scenes they cried (or didn't cry) watching, and so on...  It's so hard to restrain commenting extensively with them (like doing the analysis we do here) without sounding a bit over the top!

So nice to hear more and more people watching and enjoying CLOY. In my own circle of friends/ family, I also notice more people catching on to this drama. Plus it was No.1 in Netflix 1 month after finale, and now in 2nd month post-finale, it's still Top 3! Articles and videos also continue to come out about CLOY or HB and SYJ, which shows it continues to be very popular. Of course the current lockdown/ stay at home situation across many cities also contributed to this continuous popularity, but it's just part of it cuz if CLOY was not that good and addictive, viewers would have watched other shows.

About whether RJH remember YSR from 7 years ago, I think it's a No. His memory was only triggered when he accidentally heard SR's recording at the bridge (where they first met) and he heard his own voice. As for the picture of YSR that he took which he rediscovered after SD repaired the camera, I am not too sure if he remember that either until SD showed him. Remember that almost right after meeting YSR at the bridge, he found out about his brother's death. That would have fully taken up all his energy and focus, and this little incident would have been swept away and kept into a little corner of his brain somewhere until it was re-triggered 7 years later.

I have also always thot his smile at Ep 1 epilogue was just him finding YSR amusing and likely he also found her attractive. What we can probably connect btwn this and their first meeting in Switzerland is that both of them were immediately attracted to each other, whether it was their 1st meeting (which both have forgotten) or their 2nd meeting in North Korea. They truly were destined for each other. :D

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Another media converted to CLOY!

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/entertainment/2020/04/17/i039m-not-a-k-drama-buff--until-i-saw-039crash-landing-on-you039

I wasn't a K-drama buff ... until I saw 'Crash Landing On You'

646022.jpg

'Crash Landing On You' is South Korea’s second highest-rated cable drama to date. But what makes it so popular? 

I finally gave in.

After weeks of seeing Crash Landing On You (CLOY) on Netflix’s daily Top 10 in Malaysia list, I had to find out what the fuss was all about

I’m not a K-drama fan by any measure. In fact, excluding CLOY, I’ve only ever completed three Korean series.

It was the early 2000s when the Hallyu Wave first hit Malaysia in full force and I was momentarily swept by the wave through the 2004 wildly popular rom-com, Full House.

Then last year - some 15 years later - I showed a voracious appetite for zombie period thriller Kingdom and SkyCastle, a thriller of sorts revolving around a group of school kids pressured to excel in school.

Enter CLOY.

The founder of a South Korean fashion and lifestyle brand Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin) was paragliding when a tornado sweeps her up and tosses her over the border.A paragliding accident results in a South Korean CEO accidentally landing on North Korean soil.A paragliding accident results in a South Korean CEO accidentally landing on North Korean soil.

When she wakes up in North Korea, she stumbles upon an army officer Ri Jeong-hyuk (Hyun Bin) who takes her in while she figures out a way to go home. Needless to say, sparks fly between the two.

When CLOY became this year’s breakout drama - it is South Korea’s second highest-rated cable drama to date after Sky Castle - I hesitated watching it initially.

CLOY is, at its heart, a romance drama - a genre I felt I've outgrown after my Full House days as a teen.

So I dipped a cautious toe, telling myself to commit to watching the first 10 minutes of the series. Let’s just say, 10 minutes became 16 episodes. As I emerge from CLOY slightly malnourished and definitely sleep-deprived, I wonder what makes it so addictive?

1. The novelty of a North Korea-set series

In 2008, actress Jung Yang was sailing when her boat unexpectedly drifted near the border between North and South Korea. According to Singapore’s Straits Times, CLOY was inspired by the real-life incident.

The screenwriters cleverly took the idea further, placing its protagonist Se-ri not just in the fringes of North Korea but right smack in its capital, Pyongyang.

The appeal here is unmistakable - viewers are granted a look into a place and way of life very little is known about. And the series has since been lauded for its accurate depiction of North Korea.

Great lengths were taken to ensure this, with various North Korean defectors consulted in the process. One defector was even part of the show’s writing staff.

Details about everyday life like how there’s a fixed list of hairstyles for men and women to choose from or how kimchi is stored underground due to a lack of electricity in rural areas offer valuable insights into a life shrouded in secrecy.

Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin have great on-screen chemistry.Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin have great on-screen chemistry.

2. The chemistry between the leads

Son and Hyun Bin are big names in the Korean entertainment world. But it isn’t just star power that CLOY’s success rests on, it is the palpable chemistry between the lead couple.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the characters are from completely different worlds, with different priorities. Seeing these two people, who bring with them their own values and practices, clash is both hilarious and sweet.

But make no mistake, ultimately, viewers are tuning in to find the answer to the show’s biggest question - can two lovers from different sides of the border actually be together in the end?

3. The supporting characters are just as strong

We’ve all been there before. We look forward to watching the strong chemistry between the leads but when it comes to scenes involving the supporting or minor characters, we immediately hit the fast forward button.

That’s not the case with CLOY. The show fleshes out the personalities and storylines of many of its supporting casts to great effect. There’s Jeong-Hyuk’s bumbling but good-natured subordinates who find themselves in one mishap or another when carrying out missions.

There’s the gossipy village folks who disapprove of Se-ri initially but later become a shoulder for her to lean on. There’s also a moving story arc about a spy ridden with guilt about the nature of his work.

The show’s watchability hinges not just on its leads but its supporting roles.

Supporting characters like Jeong-hyuk's subordinate Pyo Chi-soo (Yang Kyung-won) never fails to put a smile on my face.Supporting characters like Jeong-hyuk's subordinate Pyo Chi-soo (Yang Kyung-won) never fails to put a smile on my face.

4. Striking the balance between tragedy and comedy

Life has been difficult for both the main characters.

Though Se-ri has amassed a great deal of wealth and fame from her thriving fashion empire, she is still traumatised by the fact that her stepmother abandoned her as a child.

And Jeong-hyuk is still reeling from the loss of his brother, who died in a mysterious car accident years ago.

These, coupled with the various life-or-death situations they encounter on their journey to bring Se-ri home, makes for a serious watch.

At the same time, the show injects a lot of fun and humour, whether through silly banters or through situations that unleash a character’s idiosyncrasies.

Introducing comedy in the midst of such heavy themes is a tough act but CLOY has managed to execute it delicately.

Its international filming locations include Mongolia and Switzerland.Its international filming locations include Mongolia and Switzerland.

5. Breath-taking aesthetics

CLOY is a visual feast, from the clothes they wear to the picturesque filming locations.

The iconic scene which saw Jeong-Hyuk and Se-ri travelling on a train from rural North Korea to Pyongyang, passing by wide open fields, was shot in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

Another memorable scene which featured Jeong-Hyuk playing the piano in front of a crystal blue lake was shot in Lake Brienz, Switzerland.

These scenic sights aren’t just aesthetically-pleasing, they set the mood for romance, which is cruci

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Yet another article giving accolades to CLOY!! Selected as NUMBER #1 Korean best drama on Netfix!!

https://www.cinemaescapist.com/2020/04/best-korean-dramas-netflix/

The 11 Best Korean Dramas on Netflix

Updated for summer 2020, here are the top Korean dramas on Netflix—ranging across genres like action, romance, historical, and more.

BY THE EDITORS, 15 APR 20 01:04 UTC

CE_BestKDramaNetflix.jpg

As it searches for global growth, streaming giant Netflix is riding the Korean Wave by investing heavily in Korean dramas. Regardless of whether you’re a seasoned K-drama addict, or just beginning to explore the medium, Netflix has something for you.

To help you pick from the many K-dramas now available on Netflix, we’ve put together this list of the 11 Best Korean Dramas on Netflix.

Updated for summer 2020, this list of top Korean dramas contains selections from numerous sub-genres including romance, action, historical, and more.

We chose these dramas using three criteria. First, we started with K-dramas that are well-made and entertaining. Then, we looked at which ones contained interesting learnings about Korean culture and society. Finally, we narrowed down to dramas that are Netflix originals. This last part means that all the dramas on this list are always available on Netflix, regardless of your country. 

Now, let’s take a look at the top Korean dramas currently streaming on Netflix!

1. Crash Landing On You

hqdefault.jpg

Starring: Hyun Bin, Son Ye-jin | First released: December 2019

Our selection for the very best Korean drama on Netflix is Crash Landing On You. This drama is a Cinema Escapist favorite—it’s not only entertaining, but also has an enlightening political dimension with its take on North-South Korea relations.

In Crash Landing On You, “North-South Korea relations” aren’t just state-to-state, they’re person-to-person. The drama centers on a chaebol heiress named Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin) who accidentally crash-lands in North Korea after a paragliding accident. There, she meets Ri Jeong-hyeok, a handsome North Korean army officer played by Hyun Bin. The two quickly fall in love, inter-Korean hostilities be damned.

Crash Landing On You is the latest in a storied tradition of Korean dramas that feature North Korean characters. However, it offers the most thorough portrayal of North Korea we’ve seen in any Korean drama; half the series occurs north of the 38th parallel. The show consulted North Korean defectors during production, and resultantly incorporates many intricate details rarely seen by South Koreans and global audiences. Other defectors have praised the show’s relative accuracy, though noted it may overly romanticize North Korea.

Relatable humor, a juicy romance plot, and dynamic action scenes combined with the novelty of such a comprehensive depiction of North Korea to make Crash Landing On You one of the most popular Korean dramas of all time. Learn more about Crash Landing On You’s magic (and political context) in our full length review!

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

I just finished rewatching yesterday after spending 4 days to rewatch. I still have questions regarding some plot.

1) why was Young Ae's husband (the senior colonel was it?) detained? Remember when the Ahjummas had to visit Young Ae secretly at night because her husband hasn't come home? I didn't catch why he was arrested.

2) Seo Dan's uncle has been fishy at some points (the nod during trial, and also when convincing RJH that CCG must've died in the explosive accident). Do we have anything else to believe he's somewhat a bad person?

Edit:

Among my fav parts but are not appreciated enough:

- when RJH came home to see his tomato plant was damaged and when he tried to keep it standing and grabbing the soil

- when YSR sang the farewell song at the picnic while sharing that stare with RJH who just came

Edited by miriseri
additional point
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, miriseri said:

I just finished rewatching yesterday after spending 4 days to rewatch. I still have questions regarding some plot.

1) why was Young Ae's husband (the senior colonel was it?) detained? Remember when the Ahjummas had to visit Young Ae secretly at night because her husband hasn't come home? I didn't catch why he was arrested.

2) Seo Dan's uncle has been fishy at some points (the nod during trial, and also when convincing RJH that CCG must've died in the explosive accident). Do we have anything else to believe he's somewhat a bad person?

@miriseri

1) I believe he and other officials were detained after RJH handed over the report, containing all the names of the officials who took bribes, to the judge during CCK’s trial. That’s also why when the colonel finally goes back home, YA hits him while crying saying she told him not to get involved with someone like CCK. 

2) From what I remember, his nod was toward the guy who seemed to be the judge (?) during the trial and I took that as the uncle was the one who handed over the small paper. I think it was an understanding that the higher ups (probably RJH’s dad) was ordering CCK to be sentenced. And I thought him trying to convince RJH just spoke to the uncle’s way of thinking... He seems to take things at face value and a bit unaware and so he was genuine in his opinions. 

Hope that helped! I recently watched it for the third time too and I could probably watch it again. It’s so hard to move on...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@miriseri @celest1al hooray I love visiting this forum, even though this show ended 2 months ago, I have been rewatching myself as well! I especially love hearing about people’s thoughts on little scenes and discussing with them as well.

2) I was thinking the writer also wanted us to suspect but just drove us to a different direction to surprise us. I also thought he was evil too from those little suspicious scenes but I guess not later on in the drama?

another scene that was never revealed was at the end of episode 9 when the Rat meets a mysterious man who directs him to meet the director along with ri’s unit to be briefed on their mission to South Korea... that never got answered I think? 

nonetheless, major plot points were wrapped and it created a beautiful piece of work.

• Like 3