• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
0ly40

[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

47 minutes ago, TotoroSY said:

Thanks for replying! I kinda guess it was Korean or foreign actors. Was Son Ye Jin's name in there too? Who were the top 5?

From 22 nov to 19 feb, overall ranking HB 1st and SYJ 2nd.

There were days with SYJ as 1st and Kim Soo Hyun as 1st though, but HB was 1st on most days.

Voting for favorite actors in CLoY

• Love 1

1 hour ago, usadango said:

From 22 nov to 19 feb, overall ranking HB 1st and SYJ 2nd.

There were days with SYJ as 1st and Kim Soo Hyun as 1st though, but HB was 1st on most days.

Voting for favorite actors in CLoY

Ah, so it's only voting amongst the actors/ actresses in CLOY? Thot it was among foreign or korean actors/ actresses.... Doesn't seem to be that meaningful then, cuz of course the main leads will get the most votes.

Just enjoy and be refreshed with our loves for CLoY main leads...

Hyunbin :heart:SonyeJin

Edited by Loveumore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TotoroSY said:

Ah, so it's only voting amongst the actors/ actresses in CLOY? Thot it was among foreign or korean actors/ actresses.... Doesn't seem to be that meaningful then, cuz of course the main leads will get the most votes.

It has other dramas actors as well but CLOY is the most famous so they get more votes

1 hour ago, Katelyn Lana said:

It has other dramas actors as well but CLOY is the most famous so they get more votes

Nope. Based on the names it’s only CLoY actors/actresses including those on cameo:blush:

Few days ago someone posted mv on GSJ - Shape of you. Does anyone know the link. I can't find it on youtube.

By the way I found this tweet too funny.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, Katelyn Lana said:

https://girlstyle.com/sg/article/54078/is-hyun-bin-s-character-in-crash-landing-on-you-based-on-kim-jong-un

Even though Hyun Bin actually is 2 years older than Kim Jong Un but Kim Jong Un looks like he is in his 40s and 50s

This drama might become a ban in North Korea because they show the differences between North and South Koreas.

This thread has been staying in page 427 since yesterday.Seems like this thread is ending soon as well. It has been 2weeks since the drama ended but still can't get over it. Have re-watched it for 3times

This article is nonsense. It was posted on Feb 26 so it must be recent. I bet this article is written by someone lurking over this thread or the same account who post about the comparison here. And I want to disagree about the article said about Netizen. So far, I never read about Netizen comparing RJH n KJU. Not in Twitter or in Naver. I seriously do not know where the author get the idea that Netizen is comparing RJH n KJU.

By the way, I am new here. Had been lurking as guest for weeks and finally made an account to join the discussion. I hope I am not too late in joining the boat though I know our fav drama ended 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 3:52 AM, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

It's not a parody.. They're just portraying people with the same profession: recording sound and sound engineering for movies/dramas/CFs. 

https://tv.naver.com/v/12386940

^ the title of this official clip has One Fine Spring Day (봄날은간다) hashtag & KimJiTae (김지태) hashtag 

[에필로그 #.16] 김영민 재능 찰떡 찐직업 찾았다! #봄날은간다 #김지태

[Epilogue #16] Kim Young Min finds the perfect job that matches his talent! #OneFineSpringDay #KimJiTae

(t/n: 'One Fine Spring Day' is a 2001 film where actor Yoo Ji Tae plays a sound engineer) [from Ddoboja blog]

‘One Fine Spring Day 봄날은 간다‘ (2001) — Yoo Ji-tae & Lee Young-ae 

https://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/basic.nhn?code=31801

‘One Fine Spring Day’ (2001) is Hur Jin-ho’s follow-up to ‘Christmas in August 8월의 크리스마스’ (1998).

https://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/basic.nhn?code=18817

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dispatch | 2020. 02. 29. 2:27 AM

Kim Jung Hyun - talented actor devoting himself to given roles

9678-F8-E2-3-C69-4912-A4-C9-15-E882-CBBE

Kim Jung Hyun is an inborn actor. We had such an absolute belief at our meet-up with him. There was neither mischievous Goo Seung Joon from "Crash Landing on You" nor arrogant Cheon Soo Ho from "The Time".

Instead, there is a more cautious Kim Jung Hyun. He said that at the moment he knew his character was portrayed flawlessly, he was more confident in his acting.

"It turned out that he was a person who must become an actor"

At the "silly" question about why he became an actor, Kim Jung Hyun cleverly answered, "I enjoy moments of acting and feel happy doing that. At such times, I feel like having more hope."

The actor has left a mark in the audience's hearts with his role in "Crash Landing on You" (tvN). With impressive acting portraying an obnoxious but unhateable character who has a happy look but suffers lots of hurts inside, he made the audience laugh and cry with his role.

Among the well-known cast, he was not overshadowed but still maintained his center. Regardless of whom he was standing beside, he didn't create feelings of embarrassment or distance, thus creating stories and chemistry with all co-stars.

After all, who is actor Kim Jung Hyun?

◆ The dream of being an actor

In fact, Kim Jung Hyun is a talented actor but succeeded belatedly. He once appeared on the big screen with the short movie "I'll Be With You" in 2012.

The actor works in a variety of fields, such as drama, musicals, movies, dramas, as long as he has the opportunity to act. In addition, he is not picky about the genre.

"I dreamed of becoming an actor after watching the play 'In The Smoke' (rough translation). I really cried a lot. At that time, a question mark came to my mind, causing me to once again think about acting."

The starting point for the actor is also the play field. He first stepped onto the theater stage with the performance "Terese Raquin" in 2013. Wait, so what is the "question mark" that flashed in Kim Jung Hyun's mind?

"I find out acting is a valuable job that allows us to give and receive emotions from others. It's attractive since it's able to help us share new experiences."

As a result, Kim Jung Hyun officially started walking the path of an actor.

◆ Everyone has a turning point in life

Officially debuting with the movie "Overman" in 2015, Kim Jung Hyun received the recognition of the critics. Afterwards, the actor continuously achieved success through each work he participated in and accumulated his filmography with dramas like "Jealousy Incarnate", "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People", "School 2017", etc.

However, Kim Jung Hyun encountered a turning point that is the withdrawal from "The Time" due to digestive disease and insomnia. Because of this, he was harshly criticized by the public.

"It seems that I was too indifferent to myself. It was a time when I deceived, betrayed, and hurt myself. I could not love myself. My self-esteem became smaller and the insecurity became bigger and bigger."

Not wanting to break down, Kim Jung Hyun decided to forget everything and start over. He shared, "I have recovered my spirit and body for the past 1 year and 5 months. As an actor, besides mental strength, I have also boosted my physical health."

Acting is what revived Kim Jung Hyun. The actor expressed, "I always want to act. I have a lot of desire for the works."

Acting while resting becomes more important. He revealed, "Now, I want to focus and enjoy this moment. It has become a mental state for me to think about people around again."

◆ "Crash Landing on You"

That earnestness of Kim Jung Hyun has been expressed through "Crash Landing on You". No matter whether it was a main role or a supporting role, they are all important to him. He feels extremely grateful as long as he can act.

I always enjoy the moments of acting even when I go to the set or read the script. Now, I understand that it is important to try my best in what I can do." 

In "Crash Landing on You", Kim Jung Hyun took on the role of Goo Seung Joon - a fraudster whose living purpose is money and revenge. Despite bearing the pain due to not receiving the love of his parents, he is a naive and pure guy in love. This is a role with a huge emotional difference in the drama.

"The most important thing is to maintain my role. If in North Korea there is Pyo Chi Soo (played by Yang Kyung Won) and his army, then I think in South Korea, Seung Joon has to create a distinctive atmosphere."

Kim Jung Hyun put the script right next to his head before going to sleep. He stayed up to study the script until his eyes narrowed due to sleepiness. And thanks to that, he portrayed a Goo Seung Joon serious at the proper time and humorous in a moderate way.

He also used his own North Korean accent. He said, "Local accents will vary depending on the way the dialogue is analyzed. I captured the nuances and incorporate it into Seung Joon's saying."

◆ Mature acting

The actor has contributed to deepening the love relationship between 4 people. Despite not appearing much, he exhibited his dynamic acting. Kim Jung Hyun even showed the maturity process of a character.

"The scriptwriter made the perfect turning point of development for the drama. Goo Seung Joon approached Se Ri for his own purpose but approached Dan following the nature of a human being. There is obviously an affection difference in this character."

For example, the crying scene in episode 15. When listening to North Korea children's singing, "We are pitiful orphans," Goo Seung Joon felt choked and cried alone. This was the first time this character's inner heart had been revealed. 

"I thought about character Goo Seung Joon's feeling at dangerous situations or in his hiding place being alone. He must have felt heartbroken and scared."

Kim Jung Hyun directly gave his opinion. He explained, "I said that I hope I can show my emotions in this scene. I thought I had to do so, then that moment would become the turning point on the path Seung Joon is following."

The gunfight scene was similar. He shouted the mischievous line, "I tried shooting clay targets in the South." His faint smile made the scene more heartbreaking. This was also Kim Jung Hyun's idea.

He said, "I think it is the right thing. The first goal is to soothe Dan. Even when he is close to death, he will always think of Dan. That moment is still in my mind".

◆ Once again dreaming a dream of an actor

Kim Jung Hyun has a signature unhurried manner in acting. Quick but relaxing at the same time. Light yet weighty too. The reason he can be calm like this is thanks to the unpretentious effort he has made.

"I feel like a swan floating on the lake with legs waving really hard to look leisurely. Actually, when acting, I constantly act in my mind."

"I'm always pondering about things like 'What keywords will this line be affected by?' or 'For what purpose do I have to say this sentence?'. I must have such clear thoughts, then (when acting) those considerations will disappear."

When asked about his next production, he said that he has yet to decide on any movie, drama, or play. He added, "I want to form a group with the people I love and perform with them."

He has recently been focused on learning English and it is undoubtedly for acting. He said, "If I am good at English, I will have access to more works. I want to try many roles and bring them to the audience."

Kim Jung Hyun has just wrapped up a chapter of his life. He plans not to get immersed in mixed feelings for a too long time but keeps resolutely walking on his chosen path. He will once again have a dream of an actor.

"I feel like I still have lots of shortcomings. I desire to become more mature instead of heading forward aimlessly, I want to share lots of brand new experiences with everyone through communication forms I can do."

He then added a statement.

"If I try the best till the day I die, that dream will come true in the end, won't it?"

[Dispatch = Reporter Park Hye Jin] 
[Photo = O& Entertainment]
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Helena said:

https://tv.naver.com/v/12386940

Spoiler

^ the title of this official clip has One Fine Spring Day (봄날은간다) hashtag & KimJiTae (김지태) hashtag 

[에필로그 #.16] 김영민 재능 찰떡 찐직업 찾았다! #봄날은간다 #김지태

[Epilogue #16] Kim Young Min finds the perfect job that matches his talent! #OneFineSpringDay #KimJiTae

(t/n: 'One Fine Spring Day' is a 2001 film where actor Yoo Ji Tae plays a sound engineer) [from Ddoboja blog]

‘One Fine Spring Day 봄날은 간다‘ (2001) — Yoo Ji-tae & Lee Young-ae 

https://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/basic.nhn?code=31801

‘One Fine Spring Day’ (2001) is Hur Jin-ho’s follow-up to ‘Christmas in August 8월의 크리스마스’ (1998).

https://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/basic.nhn?code=18817

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dispatch | 2020. 02. 29. 2:27 AM

Kim Jung Hyun - talented actor devoting himself to given roles

Kim Jung Hyun is an inborn actor. We had such an absolute belief at our meet-up with him. There was neither mischievous Goo Seung Joon from "Crash Landing on You" nor arrogant Cheon Soo Ho from "The Time".

Instead, there is a more cautious Kim Jung Hyun. He said that at the moment he knew his character was portrayed flawlessly, he was more confident in his acting.

"It turned out that he was a person who must become an actor"

At the "silly" question about why he became an actor, Kim Jung Hyun cleverly answered, "I enjoy moments of acting and feel happy doing that. At such times, I feel like having more hope."

The actor has left a mark in the audience's hearts with his role in "Crash Landing on You" (tvN). With impressive acting portraying an obnoxious but unhateable character who has a happy look but suffers lots of hurts inside, he made the audience laugh and cry with his role.

Among the well-known cast, he was not overshadowed but still maintained his center. Regardless of whom he was standing beside, he didn't create feelings of embarrassment or distance, thus creating stories and chemistry with all co-stars.

After all, who is actor Kim Jung Hyun?

◆ The dream of being an actor

In fact, Kim Jung Hyun is a talented actor but succeeded belatedly. He once appeared on the big screen with the short movie "I'll Be With You" in 2012.

The actor works in a variety of fields, such as drama, musicals, movies, dramas, as long as he has the opportunity to act. In addition, he is not picky about the genre.

"I dreamed of becoming an actor after watching the play 'In The Smoke' (rough translation). I really cried a lot. At that time, a question mark came to my mind, causing me to once again think about acting."

The starting point for the actor is also the play field. He first stepped onto the theater stage with the performance "Terese Raquin" in 2013. Wait, so what is the "question mark" that flashed in Kim Jung Hyun's mind?

"I find out acting is a valuable job that allows us to give and receive emotions from others. It's attractive since it's able to help us share new experiences."

As a result, Kim Jung Hyun officially started walking the path of an actor.

◆ Everyone has a turning point in life

Officially debuting with the movie "Overman" in 2015, Kim Jung Hyun received the recognition of the critics. Afterwards, the actor continuously achieved success through each work he participated in and accumulated his filmography with dramas like "Jealousy Incarnate", "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People", "School 2017", etc.

However, Kim Jung Hyun encountered a turning point that is the withdrawal from "The Time" due to digestive disease and insomnia. Because of this, he was harshly criticized by the public.

"It seems that I was too indifferent to myself. It was a time when I deceived, betrayed, and hurt myself. I could not love myself. My self-esteem became smaller and the insecurity became bigger and bigger."

Not wanting to break down, Kim Jung Hyun decided to forget everything and start over. He shared, "I have recovered my spirit and body for the past 1 year and 5 months. As an actor, besides mental strength, I have also boosted my physical health."

Acting is what revived Kim Jung Hyun. The actor expressed, "I always want to act. I have a lot of desire for the works."

Acting while resting becomes more important. He revealed, "Now, I want to focus and enjoy this moment. It has become a mental state for me to think about people around again."

◆ "Crash Landing on You"

That earnestness of Kim Jung Hyun has been expressed through "Crash Landing on You". No matter whether it was a main role or a supporting role, they are all important to him. He feels extremely grateful as long as he can act.

I always enjoy the moments of acting even when I go to the set or read the script. Now, I understand that it is important to try my best in what I can do." 

In "Crash Landing on You", Kim Jung Hyun took on the role of Goo Seung Joon - a fraudster whose living purpose is money and revenge. Despite bearing the pain due to not receiving the love of his parents, he is a naive and pure guy in love. This is a role with a huge emotional difference in the drama.

"The most important thing is to maintain my role. If in North Korea there is Pyo Chi Soo (played by Yang Kyung Won) and his army, then I think in South Korea, Seung Joon has to create a distinctive atmosphere."

Kim Jung Hyun put the script right next to his head before going to sleep. He stayed up to study the script until his eyes narrowed due to sleepiness. And thanks to that, he portrayed a Goo Seung Joon serious at the proper time and humorous in a moderate way.

He also used his own North Korean accent. He said, "Local accents will vary depending on the way the dialogue is analyzed. I captured the nuances and incorporate it into Seung Joon's saying."

◆ Mature acting

The actor has contributed to deepening the love relationship between 4 people. Despite not appearing much, he exhibited his dynamic acting. Kim Jung Hyun even showed the maturity process of a character.

"The scriptwriter made the perfect turning point of development for the drama. Goo Seung Joon approached Se Ri for his own purpose but approached Dan following the nature of a human being. There is obviously an affection difference in this character."

For example, the crying scene in episode 15. When listening to North Korea children's singing, "We are pitiful orphans," Goo Seung Joon felt choked and cried alone. This was the first time this character's inner heart had been revealed. 

"I thought about character Goo Seung Joon's feeling at dangerous situations or in his hiding place being alone. He must have felt heartbroken and scared."

Kim Jung Hyun directly gave his opinion. He explained, "I said that I hope I can show my emotions in this scene. I thought I had to do so, then that moment would become the turning point on the path Seung Joon is following."

The gunfight scene was similar. He shouted the mischievous line, "I tried shooting clay targets in the South." His faint smile made the scene more heartbreaking. This was also Kim Jung Hyun's idea.

He said, "I think it is the right thing. The first goal is to soothe Dan. Even when he is close to death, he will always think of Dan. That moment is still in my mind".

◆ Once again dreaming a dream of an actor

Kim Jung Hyun has a signature unhurried manner in acting. Quick but relaxing at the same time. Light yet weighty too. The reason he can be calm like this is thanks to the unpretentious effort he has made.

"I feel like a swan floating on the lake with legs waving really hard to look leisurely. Actually, when acting, I constantly act in my mind."

"I'm always pondering about things like 'What keywords will this line be affected by?' or 'For what purpose do I have to say this sentence?'. I must have such clear thoughts, then (when acting) those considerations will disappear."

When asked about his next production, he said that he has yet to decide on any movie, drama, or play. He added, "I want to form a group with the people I love and perform with them."

He has recently been focused on learning English and it is undoubtedly for acting. He said, "If I am good at English, I will have access to more works. I want to try many roles and bring them to the audience."

Kim Jung Hyun has just wrapped up a chapter of his life. He plans not to get immersed in mixed feelings for a too long time but keeps resolutely walking on his chosen path. He will once again have a dream of an actor.

"I feel like I still have lots of shortcomings. I desire to become more mature instead of heading forward aimlessly, I want to share lots of brand new experiences with everyone through communication forms I can do."

He then added a statement.

"If I try the best till the day I die, that dream will come true in the end, won't it?"

[Dispatch = Reporter Park Hye Jin] 
[Photo = O& Entertainment]
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive

https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

i really like him as an actor. i really hope directors will start offering him good roles and scripts as a lead! He's very talented! i cant wait to watch his next project. and all of the supporting casts. 

CLOY would not be as successful as it is now without them. everyone is a key player that contributes to this massive success. 

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, phoenixfire25 said:

Few days ago someone posted mv on GSJ - Shape of you. Does anyone know the link. I can't find it on youtube.

By the way I found this tweet too funny.

This makes me cry..... How good it would be to see YSR and RJH grow old together and RJH wish comes true of seeing YSR with wrinkles and gray hair, having kids which took after her, marry her.

Can't we just have a special video?!If it is not even an episode, just a 30mins video showing their life together would be enough, them growing old together....just don't make the ending with both dying together :sweatingbullets:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2

I'll def follow KJH - he was really adorable in CLOY! thx for sharing that article!

Not sure if this one was posted here already but kudos to CLOY for donating their vacation reward to the COVID19 victims, etc. Here's the article from hancinema:

[HanCinema's News] "Crash Landing on You" Donates Reward Vacation Money to COVID-19 Aid

photo1158724.jpg

On February 28th Studio Dragon announced that the reward vacation fund for their recent hit drama, "Crash Landing on You", would be donated to COVID-19 relief in South Korea. The fund contains approximately one hundred thousand dollars.

"Crash Landing on You" was an obvious exemplar for a reward vacation due to the drama's outstanding performance. However, because the drama ended at about the same time that COVID-19 broke out in South Korea, there was hesitancy on the part of relevant persons to go on a vacation at that specific time. Additionally, lead actor Hyun Bin had already made plans to quickly get involved on filming for his next project, the major film "Bargaining", which has had its own COVID-19 related issues.

In a statement Studio Dragon cited the great difficulties many persons had gone through as a result of the outbreak as being the principle reason behind the donation. This news also follows upon Son Ye-jin's recent announcement that she would be donating a great deal of personal wealth to the cause. Son Ye-jin's hometown of Daegu is the epicenter of the South Korean outbreak.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 3

It is kinda lucky that they managed to finish filming and wrapping up successfully just before the COVID 19 outbreak in Korea. It is a tragedy and my heart goes out to those who are affected. I hope SYJ’s family who are still in Daegu are ok. She must be worrying sick.

I am still rewatching clips and snippets of CLOY these days, and reminiscing on how crazy I was when I was waiting for new episodes every weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Nice reaction video to CLOY's finale episode. I've enjoyed watching this twitter account's reactions, reviews and translations of CLOY BTS. They will also be doing a final review video of CLOY later.

In the video, they also mention Manbok's final scene in the field and said it's the same as Eric Mun in Another Ms Oh. Really curious now to see that same scene.

• Like 3

Am really-watching and finding the scene where they have to spend the night outside the train in episode 5 one of the sweetest. The way RJH took care of her, bought her things she wanted and needed... #swoonworthy

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Am really-watching and finding the scene where they have to spend the night outside the train in episode 5 one of the sweetest. The way RJH took care of her, bought her things she wanted and needed... #swoonworthy

IKR...name me one scene that he is not sweet to her. Even when he keep her captive, he is being sweet (ie he made noodles from scratch when she said she is hungry). Like he can just boiled the potatoes but he is taken extra step making her noodles, from scratch!. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Has anyone heard that SYJ will play a new drama again ? I read on China Weibo and they said SYJ already confirm it :blink:

49 minutes ago, Desi said:

Has anyone heard that SYJ will play a new drama again ? I read on China Weibo and they said SYJ already confirm it :blink:

I heard about her considering Boston 1947. Did she confirm it?  But no articles say about her confirming 

There is a spoompi thread with the title “upcoming movie 2020 Boston 1947" with Son Ye Jin picture as the female lead 

Miss CLOY and this thread so much.  Been doing well with the condolences period but honestly it feels empty without CLOY (RJH and SR).  I feel like somehow they really became our close friends!  Wishful like everyone else for a special episode, though given what's going on in SK I doubt that will be pulled together.

It's unfortunate that the cast and crew aren't able to go on a reward vacation to celebrate this drama and its level of success, but it is amazing that the studio donated all the money.  In normal circumstances, I imagine Switzerland would by now have a flock of visitors to all the film locations and a dedicated tour as well, but probably won't be the case for a while.

Not sure how to post IG stuff but Swarovski's official IG posted 3 pictures of our lovely YSR...  They chose her most melancholic looks I think lol.  Definitely feeling the international success.

Thanks to everyone for still posting content and sharing your thoughts upon re-watching!  Might do that soon, ready and willing to go through it all over again.  (quoting SR!)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/s-korean-drama-offers-glimpse-of-daily-life-in-north-korea

South Korean drama Crash Landing On You offers glimpse of daily life in North Korea

PUBLISHED MAR 1, 2020, 5:00 AM SGT

Chang May Choon | South Korea Correspondent In Seoul

Buzz over hit series as viewers ask whether depiction of life in secretive North is realistic

C16-EFE2-C-E210-4776-B3-C6-E6-B1-CCA97-E
North Korean defector Kang Na-ra (centre) on YouTube talking about homes in North Korea having kimchi storage areas underground - just like in the hit South Korean drama series Crash Landing On You - owing to a lack of electricity. She says the drama is 60 per cent accurate in portraying North Korea.PHOTOS: YOUTUBE

For someone living in North Korea, bathing in winter means hanging plastic sheets over a tub of hot water to create a steam bath.

Seeing this in the hit South Korean drama Crash Landing On You "brought back memories of my childhood", said North Korean defector Noel Kim.

She is referring to a scene where a North Korean elite soldier played by Hyun Bin teaches a South Korean heiress (Son Ye-jin) how to take a hot bath after she paraglides across the heavily guarded demilitarised zone due to freak weather and ends up landing in his arms and intruding on his life.

"That's how I took a bath my whole life, especially in winter when water is scarce," Ms Kim said in a YouTube video.

DB080-B5-C-3-CE4-49-F5-A710-33-A16293-E9

In another interview, Ms Kang, who served as a consultant for the show, talks about how she used to go to the beach in North Korea to dig for clams and light a fire over them to cook them. PHOTOS: YOUTUBE

Crash Landing On You ended its run on Feb 16 with an average rating of 21.6 per cent, making it the second-highest rated cable TV drama in South Korean history, after Sky Castle.

7692-C881-A14-D-494-D-9-D54-71681-B6839-

The hit series is about a South Korean heiress (Son Ye-jin), who accidentally crash-lands in North Korea - and into the life of North Korean elite soldier (Hyun Bin). PHOTOS: YOUTUBE

But the buzz over the drama remains, with many viewers asking if its portrayal of everyday life in the highly secretive North is realistic.

While North Korean issues are a recurring theme on big and small screens, Crash Landing On You is arguably the first to extensively feature everyday life in a small village, where blackouts and house checks happen regularly, and in the brighter, more glitzy capital Pyongyang.

The production team behind the drama said they were inspired by an incident in 2008 when a boat carrying actress Jung Yang in Incheon was close to crossing the Northern Limit Line separating the two Koreas due to bad weather.

In order to make the drama as real as possible, the team conducted detailed interviews with North Korean defectors ranging from soldiers to wives of military officers, merchants, drivers, doctors and even pianists who had studied overseas.

They also roped in a defector as one of their writers and got an expert in North Korean language to review their scripts.

At least two defectors, including beauty YouTuber Kang Na-ra, have said that the drama is 60 per cent accurate in portraying North Korea.

Ms Kang, who defected in 2015, said they got many details right, such as how the rich show off their wealth by adding lace to their curtains and how people in rural areas store their kimchi underground due to a lack of electricity.

"Throughout watching the drama, I was like... is this my home town?" she said.

House checks are also a regular affair. She revealed that she once had to hide inside a furnace at the house of the broker who helped her to escape to avoid detection.

In the drama, the heiress had to hide in the kimchi storage area when security forces came knocking one night.

As depicted in the drama, North Koreans are allowed to choose only from a fixed list of hair styles - 18 for women and 28 for men, according to Ms Kang, who served as a consultant for the show.

"There's a punishment for you if you don't comply," she said in an interview with YouTube channel DKDKTV.

Cartoonist Choi Seong-guk, who defected to the South in 2011, said the drama set is 60 per cent accurate.

The portrayal of jangmadang, or local markets where all kinds of goods, including imports from South Korea, are sold is especially real, he told The Sunday Times.

YouTuber Han Song-ee called Crash Landing On You the "most realistic North Korean picture".

She recalled a scene where the soldier and the heiress took a train to Pyongyang to take passport photos and ended up spending a night in the open fields when the train suddenly stopped due to power failure.

"The scene is so realistic," she said. "Electricity is very unstable in North Korea so the train stops very often. In fact, when I first arrived in the South, I was so surprised that the trains came on time."

The two Koreas remain deeply divided, banning their citizens from visiting or even interacting.

But South Korean attitudes towards North Korea, once demonised as the enemy, have changed under the administration of President Moon Jae-in.

The country hosted North Korean teams at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics and Pyongyang threw a grand welcome for Mr Moon's first state visit that same year.

The effect has spilled over to the movie industry, with "more imaginative stories pouring out", according to film critic Kim Hyeong-seok.

Bromance between South and North Korean agents have become a trend in movie scripts, as seen in titles such as Confidential Assignment (2017) and The Spy Gone North (2018), he told JoongAng Ilbo newspaper.

"The mainstream genres are still action... but I also see more romance stories," he said.

However, hunky North Korean soldiers like the one played by Hyun Bin do not exist, Ms Kang said.

In Crash Landing On You, the North Korean soldier is so devoted to the South Korean woman who fell from the sky that he ropes in his teammates to protect her from the evil forces.

Mr Choi felt that the drama "glamorised the soldiers too much, almost to an uncomfortable extent".

He said North Korean men enter the military when they are 17 and serve for 10 to 13 years.

"During this time, they are... ruthless and harsh, robbing homes and raping women at night."

Still, Mr Choi hopes the drama will make its way to North Korea and go viral.

"I hope the North Koreans who see this drama will realise how positively the South Koreans think of them and learn to change," he said.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on March 01, 2020, with the headline 'S. Korean drama offers glimpse of daily life in North Korea'. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

https://www.soompi.com/article/1385665wpp/lee-shin-young-talks-about-portraying-a-north-korean-officer-and-a-memorable-scene-in-crash-landing-on-you

Lee Shin Young Talks About Portraying A North Korean Officer And A Memorable Scene In “Crash Landing On You”STYLE

Feb 28, 2020
by S. Park

Lee Shin Young spoke about starring in the hit drama “Crash Landing on You”!

On February 28, GQ Korea released Lee Shin Young’s pictorial.

In the photos, the actor showcased various expressions varying from sharp to playful. In his accompanying interview, Lee Shin Young answered questions about his career and personal life.

He began by discussing the most drama-like moment in his life. “It felt like a dream when I was cast in ‘Crash Landing on You,'” said Lee Shin Young. “This project itself is like a drama to me.”

As for why he became an actor, he explained, “I like expressing something, especially looking into a person’s emotions. I briefly trained to become a model, but it didn’t seem like my path.”

Lee Shin Young then chose the eating scene at the convenience store as one of his most passionate acting scenes in the drama. “We started filming early in the morning and I was really hungry, so I devoured the cup ramen. It’s a very realistic scene.”

He also shared his version of a happy ending for “Crash Landing on You,” saying, “I hope that Se Ri and Jung Hyuk will get married, raise a daughter that resembles the mother, a son that resembles the father, and live happily ever after.”

In the drama, Lee Shin Young portrayed a North Korean officer. When asked if it was difficult speaking in a North Korean dialect, he replied, “Practice is the only way to survive. Everything about North Korea is new and fascinating. I studied a lot before filming began.”

He named Joo Ji Hoon and Yoo Ah In as stars with the best styles, and “On Your Wedding Day” as his favorite romantic film.

Lee Shin Young is currently filming the KBS 2TV drama “Friendship Contract” (literal title) alongside former I.O.I member Kim So Hye and “Moments of 18” actor Shin Seung Ho.

Source (1) (2)

• Like 1