[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

28 minutes ago, liltash85 said:

CLOY is the 2nd highest cable drama ratings in South Korea after SKY Castle. In SK, there are 2 set of ratings to be compared. The Free to Air Channel (FTA) ratings and Cable Channel ratings. For now, CLOY is the highest in tvN and 2nd for the whole Cable channels as SKy Castle is no.1. (Sky Castle is Jtbc drama). If IC surpassed CLOY ratings, CLOY will be fallen 3rd. Goblin tops the cable channel ratings for 3 years before SKY Castle surpassed that last year. I think most of us would love CLOY will remain at No 2 for a while. Maybe 3 years or more like Goblin. I do not worry much of Hi Bye Mama, 

As for RJH n KJU similarity, i think that is just co incidence. I don't think the writer dare to do RJH character based on that figure. It will create hatred among South Koreans and her job will be in doomed. South Koreans cannot even write or put the Kims photos anywhere even if for drama set and do you think she would do RJH character based on KJU?  Me myself do not want to even think that RJH was created based on him. They are too far apart. 

Ah got cha, thanks for the clarification about the drama rating. I too would love CLOY to remain it's achievement for at least a year before we have new competitors coming in.

Regarding RJH and KJU similarity, I didn't mean to say she based RJH entirely on KJU, but it does make sense to not build a well-loved character based on someone who's very hated by a lot of people in SK. 

V @Phoenix88 True that, I got mixed up with Hyun Bin's real birth year. Someone above also said KJU's birth year isn't 1982 anyway so let's just forget about that :))

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncly said:

I don't think we should worry about IC's rating because IC is produced by JTBC while CLOY is produced by tvN. So comparing the rating of a JTBC drama with that of tvN's doesn't really make sense in your context. All the news about CLOY so far is about it being the #1 rated tvN drama of all time. Reports only compare its rating to Goblin's rating because Goblin is also a tvN drama. 

If you compare all dramas from all Korean cable together, CLOY isn't number 1 at the moment, it's only 5th in the top 10 highest-rated Korean drama of all time of all cables.

So in short, don't worry too much :lol:. For tvN only, CLOY is still #1 for now. The demographic watching CLOY is different form that of Hi Bye Mama and I think the amount of fanbase watching it won't be as high as CLOY's so it probably won't beat CLOY for the final rating. 

There is no scene of him carrying her to his bend and tucking her in when she was drunk. You might have confused it with this scene? This is the scene where SR was remembering all of her good memories of JH when she was kidnapped. 

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this in this thread, this might just be a coincident but I think the writer might have built RJH based on a real life person, Kim Jong Un. I'm not sure if it's ok to talk about him here but Admin/Moderator, please remove this part if it violates the rules.

Similarities between KJU and RJH:

- Both born in 1982

- Both are the 2nd son in the family 

- Both studied abroad in Switzerland 

- Both had to go back to serve in the army due to family duties

- Both had a brother who was killed (KJU's half brother)

- KJU's wife's last name is "Ri" :)) 

Some were speculating KJU was also musically talented but all sources I've read so far only talk about him being a basketball fanatic so that's the only thing that doesn't match at the moment. 

Isn't Ri Jeong Hyeok birthday is February 14 1988? Because it was shown on his ID card on Episode 2

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ncly said:

Ah got cha, thanks for the clarification about the drama rating. I too would love CLOY to remain it's achievement for at least a year before we have new competitors coming in.

TvN’s lineup is very strong this year, I think it would be hard to keep its record. However, I was enjoying CLOY so much. This drama is my first drama in 4 years and I am not sure whether I am going to watch any more kdramas this year. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

@ncly

One word. IMPOSSIBLE.

There is no way a hero can be based on that guy.

Can you imagine THAT GUY tying your hair?

Or make noodles for you or give you a ride on the bicycle for that matter? It will be the greatest nightmare! I rather drop dead there and then......sorry for being so dramatic. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, ncly said:

I don't think we should worry about IC's rating because IC is produced by JTBC while CLOY is produced by tvN. So comparing the rating of a JTBC drama with that of tvN's doesn't really make sense in your context. All the news about CLOY so far is about it being the #1 rated tvN drama of all time. Reports only compare its rating to Goblin's rating because Goblin is also a tvN drama. 

If you compare all dramas from all Korean cable together, CLOY isn't number 1 at the moment, it's only 5th in the top 10 highest-rated Korean drama of all time of all cables.

The ratings that's being highlighted more is the highest rating achieved by a single episode esp the finale, instead of the average ratings. That's because it represents the percentage of audience who have watched the show. Example CLOY achieved 21.7% in the finale episode, which likely means these audience have also watched ep 1-15 (some via online channel) before tuning in to catch the final episode. That's why highest rated drama by episode is used more than average ratings. Some drama started at low ratings as it's not well promoted, but can shoot up to high ratings as the drama gains interest and more people start watching it (eg. Sky Castle started at 1-2% in ep 1 and shot to 23.8% in final episode). Sky Castle's average ratings may be lower than others, but it will still be seen as the highest rated show based on finale ratings.

Also, people do compare dramas between different channels eg. TVN and JTBC, as these are all under cable channels. It shows how successful the channels are in their programming. For public channels, KBS, MBC, SBS (and more) will compete with each other.

List of highest-rated Korean dramas in cable television

Highest nationwide AGB Nielsen Rating   Final episode air date    
1    Sky Castle    JTBC    23.779%    1 February 2019    
2    Crash Landing on You    tvN    21.683%    16 February 2020    
3    Reply 1988    18.803%    16 January 2016    
4    Guardian: The Lonely and Great God    18.680%    21 January 2017    
5    Mr. Sunshine    18.129%    30 September 2018   
6    100 Days My Prince    14.412%    30 October 2018    
7    Itaewon Class    JTBC    12.562%    (currently airing)   
8    Signal    tvN    12.544%    12 March 2016   
9    The Lady in Dignity    JTBC    12.065%    19 August 2017

As for the theory that the writer created RJH with reference to KJU, I have to politely protest LOL!! No way the writer will base our beloved CLOY male lead using KJU, probably one of the most feared and hated political leader in the world right now. As for KJU's half brother who was killed, he was most likely assassinated under KJU's instructions (very different from RJH and his brother's loving relationship). The main writer was assisted by a NK defector writer who probably helped caricature the background of RJH based on the elite political class within the NK, which may include the privilege to study abroad. Also found out that Switzerland is part of Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission (NNSC) which regulates the relations between NK and SK, hence why it's an apt meeting place for SR and JH :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Nations_Supervisory_Commission

Another thing I read is that ALL NK young male and female aged 17 onwards need to serve in the army, EXCEPT for those with exceptional talent in sports and arts (JH was a prodigy in piano).

Now I gotta go erase that the comparison of RJH with KJU in my head, hahaha!!

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

4 hours ago, Phoenix88 said:

Isn't Ri Jeong Hyeok birthday is February 14 1988? Because it was shown on his ID card on Episode 2

KJU birth year is 1984 

Hyun Bin - 1982

Ri Jeong Hyuk - 1988

Whether it is HB or RJH, both has nothing to do with KJU

I found out Hyun Bin and Seo Ji Hye worked together in Rampant.Not worked together as leads or supporting but they were in the same movie.

• Like 3

Some countries are only now getting CLOY on Netflix. I'm in Canada so i had it while it aired but many countries didnt. This means the popularity of the drama will only increase in the coming months. I also noticed CLOY has been on the top-most popular list on Netflix for a while now, at least in Canada and i think in the US too. 

I wonder if they will reconsider for a second season if it becomes too popular because it would be a waste of good profit to not do it. Even if they clear it for season 2, it would only happen next year because they would have to let all the cast and crew clear their schedule a year in advance.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am still having a major withdrawal symptoms, still unable to move on. Rewatching all the episodes from time to time. It's been exactly a week when we were all smiling, laughing and crying and wishing this drama never ends. Despite not able to move on, I am happy that this drama will gonna be the drama living in my heart for a lifetime. And I have been recommending my friends to watch and spreading the love of this drama. :wub:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, jamy47 said:

I wonder if they will reconsider for a second season if it becomes too popular because it would be a waste of good profit to not do it.

The main problem is whether HB and SYJ are up to it. I don’t think they will do it because they are not those kind of actors.

Professionally, it would be a bad decision since they would be remembered as that couple from a seasoned drama. Actors avoid being labeled as it can limit potential offers.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

10 minutes ago, INeedAFan said:

The main problem is whether HB and SYJ are up to it. I don’t think they will do it because they are not those kind of actors.

Professionally, it would be a bad decision since they would be remembered as that couple from a seasoned drama. Actors avoid being labeled as it can limit potential offers.

True but at the same time if they want to do another Kdrama next year, why not this one? instead of a new one with less good writing and weaker team? Also with this new format of TvN and Netflix co-production, it would be  more like a series with several seasons, and not just the classical Kdrama. It could be a new experience for them and it will only make them shine brighter. CLOY could possibly become a real global hit with the way it's going right now. The new countries getting now access to the drama, many are commenting online that they are liking the drama.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, ncly said:

There is no scene of him carrying her to his bend and tucking her in when she was drunk. You might have confused it with this scene? This is the scene where SR was remembering all of her good memories of JH when she was kidnapped. 

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for sharing this...I almost watched 5 episodes to find this scene :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

omg hahaha captain ri and pyo chi su :joy:

AHHH!! That was the FIRST thing I noticed in that picture collage! I just love their cute pose together!! LOVE IT!! 

3 hours ago, jamy47 said:

Some countries are only now getting CLOY on Netflix. I'm in Canada so i had it while it aired but many countries didnt. This means the popularity of the drama will only increase in the coming months. I also noticed CLOY has been on the top-most popular list on Netflix for a while now, at least in Canada and i think in the US too. 

I wonder if they will reconsider for a second season if it becomes too popular because it would be a waste of good profit to not do it. Even if they clear it for season 2, it would only happen next year because they would have to let all the cast and crew clear their schedule a year in advance.

How do you check top-most popular list on Netflix? Would love to check the same in my country!  I also think more and more people will start watching CLOY, whether on Netflix or even other online sites, especially with all the news about its record-breaking ratings.

Personally, I prefer they don't do a 2nd season for CLOY. I think it has ended beautifully, and I am also not sure how the writer can expand the story and plot without it being repetitive. It will also take some time (even years) before the writer/ production house can come out with the script and preparation (the writer took almost 10 years to finally complete CLOY script). But I think what would be nice is a Special CLOY short series. Maybe 2 or 3 episodes to show what happened in those 2-3 years before they meet again in Switzerland, what happened in the NK village, the 2nd OTP story and the future for OTP couple as they grow old together. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

It's not really questionable. 

RJH wouldn't be able to set all those messages from NK, hence, he set it all while he was still detained by NIS. The phone he used was South Korean phone given by Gu Seungjun. He definitely cannot bring the phone back to NK either. 

My only question is who's keeping the phone alive for a year until RJH was back to the North, and who took care of the flower delivery from RJH to Seri... Since it was shown the NIS agent taught him about scheduled messages, I just assumed that it was NIS agent who helped him with all of those. 

Oh you're right, where did the phone go and who kept it alive?!  The flower delivery is explainable, he probably pre-ordered and set a specific date for delivery.  But the phone... who knows eh.  And yes good point, forgot the phone was given by GSJ which makes it an SK phone anyway. Of course I'm glad the NIS agent did what he did to help our otp :)

10 hours ago, liltash85 said:

To me, this is what special about Yoon Seri-Ri Jung Hyuk's relationship. Their LDR is one of a kind. Normal people who is having LDR still be able to at least to contact each other but not them. They are holding that if they are fated and really meant for each other, fate will bring them together again. Both of them has been praying day and night for them to meet again. Seri even trying her best to reach him by sponsoring students in music. I guess he got the message that is why he decided to leave the army and join the orchestra. It is just that it takes sometime for them to meet. My take is like Seri, Jung Hyuk too could be had gone to Swiss few times to find her but to no avail. And since it is not so easy for NK to travel, the frequency he came to Swiss is not as many times as Seri. Maybe. 

Yes very true and someone here mentioned they wished we got to see RJH's search attempts for Seri in Swiss too, from the stills of him playing the piano in the park I thought that might have been a scene but perhaps they cut it?  In the photo he appeared looking around as though he thought he saw someone he knew pass by.  That would have been nice for us to see.

• Like 4

Hi all! I haven’t started to watch new drama. Just do not want to be disappointed because now the bar is high because of CLOY! Hahaha

But I also just rewatched the last 10 minutes of last episode. I don’t know, seems that it was a fun ride watching it while being aired. All the enthusiasm and waiting especially the two weeks waiting! and I don’t have the luxury of time to rerun all episodes. Seems my energy is drained after the last episode. All the attachments with the drama is really high. Withdrawal syndrome of a very good drama that I rarely experienced! I still (try) to play the song for brother in the piano, but only the first part is fine, the second part is bit difficult. In CLOY ost there are two versions of this song. I think the instrumental songs are great also in this drama. Well, basically I just want to say hello to everyone here. Have a nice Monday to start the week, one week after CLOY ends! Hopefully we still can have new pictures of HB and SYJ and the ducklings and the ahjummas and Dan and GSJ in our timelines or YT to cheer us up!

• Like 4