[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

woah loved that vid with pres and his wife during parasite meeting with the cast, even the first lady is a huge fan of HB hehehe Nice I loved it thx for sharing!

Just saw this from hancinema:

[HanCinema's News] Defectors Rank Top Three "Crash Landing on You" Actors in Terms of Dialect

By William Schwartz on 2020/02/19 at 19:12 PST

photo1155693.jpg

One major factor behind the success of "Crash Landing on You" is the unusual authenticity the drama manages to exert in regards to its North Korean characters. This fidelity to such minor factors as dialect has also been praised by actual North Korean defectors. On February 19th, a segment on the YouTube channel of YouTuber Dave invited defectors on to share which actors in "Crash Landing on You" they felt did the best job.

Yang Kyung-won, Yoo Su-bin, and Lee Shin-young, in that order, were ranked as the three best. That these specific actors would be selected is of little surprise, as they had also enjoyed the most popular praise for their performances while "Crash Landing on You" was still airing.

photo1155692.jpg

photo1155692.jpg

he omission of leading star Hyun Bin was notable, though easily explained. The defectors explained that Hyun Bin's character, though heroic, was inherently unrealistic, and that no people like him existed in the North Korean military. This comment likely was less a political statement and more a reference to his character's inherently bombastic actions. Kim Soo-hyun of "Secretly and Greatly" fame, who reprised that role in a cameo on "Crash Landing on You", was similarly deemed unrealistic.

The defectors also had praiseful remarks for the depiction of department stores in "Crash Landing on You", as well as the drama's accurate depiction of North Korean fashion. Their impression of the drama's depiction of living quarters was more negative, however, as they described real North Korean homes as being more about practical function, rather than aesthetic form.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 3
  • Love 1

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/tv/252265-why-crash-landing-on-you-everyone-korean-drama-obsession

Why 'Crash Landing on You' is everyone's K-drama obsession

by Maggie Adan | February 20, 2020

It definitely needs to be yours, too!

A44-FF0-D9-4876-48-DA-97-DB-9-F9-E24-F8-
CLOY. South Korea's latest K-drama hit Crash Landing On You is about a South Korean woman who accidentally crashes in North Korea, meeting a soldier. Screenshot from trailer

MANILA, Philippines – Everyone from your best friend, to your neighbor, to your tita, to your doctor, and even to your doctor’s secretary is obsessed with South Korea's latest television hit, Crash Landing On You.

The highly-popular K-drama's final episode aired on Sunday, February 16, and we're stiill not over it. 

Here are a few reasons why:

That special #RiRi Couple chemistry

The chemistry between lead stars Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin, who play Ri Jeong-hyeok and Yoon Se-ri (hence the nickname RiRi Couple) respectively, is so powerful that people have speculated that the two are dating in real life (they’ve denied this twice) and/or are shipping them and hoping they do get together in real life.

The chemistry is evident even when the cameras aren’t rolling! Here’s a behind-the-scenes video that will make a shipper of you, too.

Son Ye Jin’s comedic chops

Hailed as Korea’s "Queen of Melodrama," Son Ye-jin has had little opportunity to flex her comedic acting muscles.

In CLOY, she proves that she can do romcom just as well drama, showing off impressive comedic timing and charm. Other actresses may read annoying onscreen as Yoon Se-ri but Son Ye-jin just makes her so cute and adorable. No wonder Captain Ri fell in love with her. Who wouldn’t?

Hyun Bin’s pouty and sulky expressions

Speaking of cute, Ri Jeong-Hyeok may seem like the perfect tough North Korean soldier with his broad shoulders, deep voice, and manly stride, but when he gets jealous or insecure, he brings out his secret weapon – a pouty expression that’ll make you swoon just as much as his “beautiful visuals,” if not more.

You get a glimpse of North Korean life.

According to North Korean defector and YouTuber Kang Nara, 60% of what’s depicted on the show about North Korea is pretty accurate. She does admit though that it’s highly unlikely that there’s a captain as hot as Hyun Bin in the reclusive nation.

Captain Ri’s NK Squad is #squadgoals

It’s hard not to love the 4 loyal soldiers in Ri Jeong-Hyeok’s squad: Se-Ri’s eternal nemesis Pyo Chi-su, resident oppa Park Kwang-beom, ultimate K-Drama fan Kim Ju-Meok, and baby of the group Geum Eun-dong.

It’s heartwarming how much they want to protect and have come to love Se-ri. And the scenes featuring the squad (plus Man Beok) in Seoul are some of the funniest on the series.

.The North Korean ajummas

Se-ri may have gotten off on the wrong foot with Captain Ri’s quirky bunch of nosy ajumma neighbors, but it doesn’t take long before she wins the hearts of these titas of North Korea. The lovely gesture Se-ri makes at the end of the series to commemorate their friendship and let them know that she hasn’t forgotten them is deeply touching.

It’s got villains you’ll love to hate

The drama's villains – Cho Cheol-gang, Yoon Se-hyeong, and Ko Sang-a – will make you want to shake a fist at the screen. They are the worst, which makes their comeuppance all the more rewarding when it finally does happen.

The love story of the second leads are just as sweet.

It’ll take a while to warm up to Seong-Jun and Dan, mostly because at the beginning, they’re trying to tear RiRi apart. But once they start falling for each other, it’s hard not to root for them to find their own happily ever after. 

Impressive shooting locations

Switzerland plays an important role in the show’s plot, so there are quite a few scenes in the picturesque country that’ll make you want to pack your bags immediately. And because they can’t film in the DPRK, South Korea and Mongolia had to stand in for North Korea. Locations in South Korea include Jeju, Incheon, Busan, Chungju, Pocheon, and Taean, which stood in for Captain Ri’s small village.

https://youtu.be/ZL5FMFRelIg

It’s your light romcom escape 

If you’re looking for something light and fun to keep your mind off everything happening in the world these days (there’s a lot), CLOY is it. In keeping with most K-Drama romcoms, it’s mostly upbeat and rosy. Conflicts are resolved pretty quickly, the plot isn’t too convoluted, and the drama isn’t too heavy.

The cameos are epic

My Love From the Star’s Kim Soo-hyun reprises his role as Won Ryu-hwan from the movie Secretly Greatly. In the film, he played a North Korean spy who was sent to Seoul and was forced to go undercover as the village idiot. 

Stairway to Heaven’s Choi Ji-woo also makes an appearance, when Se-ri keeps her promise to K-Drama fan Ju-Meok and arranges for him to meet his ultimate bias.

It’s even got something for fashionistas

Se-ri and Dan wear clothes and tote around bags from brands like Valentino, Chanel, Jimmy Choo, Celine, Hermes, Bottega Veneta, Balmain, and Rochas to name a few.

Not to be outone, Jeong-hyeok has his own Pretty Woman fashion montage in the series, too. And he’s smoking hot. 

The dreamy soundtrack is perfect for the series.

IU’s contribution to the OST, “I Give You My Heart” came later in the series, but still managed to shatter records! We recommend you add the drama’s official soundtrack to your Spotify playlist to help you cope with your CLOY withdrawal.

There are tons of memorable quotes you’ll find totally relatable

Here are just two of our favorites:

Seri: There’s an Indian proverb that goes, “Sometimes the wrong train takes you to the right station.” It was like that for me, too. Throughout my life, I always felt like I was on the wrong train. One time, I wanted to give up. I didn’t want to go anywhere. So I thought about jumping off the train. Look where I am now. I took the wrong train again, and a very wrong one at that. It even got me across the 38th parallel. Still, you should think about the future, even if things don’t always go as you wish. I wish you could stay happy even after I leave, Jyeong-Hyeok. I want you to arrive at the right station, no matter what train you take.

Seung-jun: You shouldn’t yearn for your first love for too long. It’s not good to drag on with anything. Whether it be people or love…You should end it if you see its end. You’re waiting for someone. But even you think you’re pathetic. Then that’s not love. It’s an obsession. The love you once had has changed and is now rotting. You should throw it away.

The CLOY finale beat the finale rating of the K-Drama mega hit Goblin.

The Crash Landing On You finale has the highest finale rating for a TvN drama, surpassing the record set by Gong Yoo’s global K-Drama hit Goblin a few years back. Tying up loose ends and finding a satisfying resolution for our star-crossed, border-crossing lovers, the ending’s got everything fans wanted to see. (Although we were secretly hoping for a RiRi twins appearance.) – Rappler.com

By: Maggie Adan is a storyteller at heart. She is a freelance editor, writer, and content creator. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

[HanCinema's News] "Crash Landing on You" Leads for Fifth Straight Week Atop the Good Data Report

By William Schwartz on 2020/02/19 at 18:49 PST

In its final week of broadcasting "Crash Landing on You" was once again triumphant in regards to the Good Data Report, leading in all metrics for its fifth straight week. Lead actress Son Ye-jin and lead actor Hyun Bin also extended their reign atop the performer's chart to a commanding ten week presence.

"Crash Landing on You" also had the highest raw score of any drama ever featured in the report aside from "SKY Castle" in 2019.

"Itaewon Class" held second place in the report and, with nearly a fifty percent increase in its score total, seems poised to lead the Good Data Report in the absence of "Crash Landing on You". Lead actors Kim Da-mi and Park Seo-joon held the third and fourth place in performer spots. "Stove League" held a smaller increase, but maintained its overall position in third place with lead actor Namgoong Min ranking fifth for performers.

The data for this iteration of the Good Data Report was collected between February tenth and sixteenth. It measured Internet searches, blog posts, and social media, among other metrics, as they pertained to the currently airing twenty-four primetime dramas and their performers.

Written by William Schwartz

Spoiler

photo1155694.jpg

• Like 5

WOW! The articles and write-ups about CLOY from different parts of the world is coming out Fast and Furious!! So happy for CLOY's international success, on top of it's record-breaking ratings in SK! The team must be glowing and so proud of their achievements!

It's also really great to see interviews with all the different actors and actresses playing the supporting characters, from the F4 ducklings to the insurance man. I hope the ahjummas will also start giving interviews. And most importantly, the Writer and Director!!

I noted that a number of the actors are actually involved in musicals and plays too, like the insurance guy (saw it in the interview posted today) and also the actors play Pyo Chi Soo and Eun-Dong (the maknae duckling) - I read that in an article somewhere....

The casting team should deserve a BIG BOW for casting the perfect actor/ actress for each character, from the main leads, 2nd leads, supporting roles and even all the smaller side roles. APPLAUSE!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Just wanted to share with everyone some Chinese news articles on CLOY which I got from the newspapers my mum buys every evening. The same newspaper LianHe WanBao posted on CLOY consecutively for 3 days!! :heart:

20200221-012602.jpg

20200221-011632.jpg

20200221-012019.jpg

Some online articles from Straits Times and LianHe ZaoBao as well! I am really happy and ecstatic to see how everyone loves CLOY. It's not only just ladies, even guys enjoyed the drama and have all sorts of good comments and reviews about it!

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/cross-border-love-story-crash-landing-on-you-crashes-south-korea-tv-ratings

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/what-singapore-fans-say-about-k-drama-crash-landing-on-you-and-7-things-to

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/wencui/entertainment/story20200218-1029993?cx_testId=45&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

It feels so nice to witness the love and support that CLOY is getting worldwide.Few weeks back when the drama was still airing ,I started searching news related to it .I would read many articles and comments according to the timeline starting from the confirmation news.Although I have read before that HB and SYJ were going to star in a drama together , didn't pay much attention as the synopsis didn't attract me.Plus I was not much familiar with the actors having watched only one of their previous works each.Then happened to stumble across CLOY in mid December as I had nothing to watch .I started with zero expectation thinking it to be some cheesy rom-com and now do I need to say ..THIS IS THE BEST DRAMA OF MY LIFE.So as to atone for my earlier ignorance i started reading articles during the hiatus and weekdays.And what I found shocked me:scream:..There were so many negative comments even before the teasers were released.And this amount doubled after Netflix released the trailers.People were asking to boycott this show and were guaranteeing that it would be a flop.One comment really made my eyes roll back with anger.It said that both the actors got the script way back and pretended that they wished to work together in future during Nego promos so that it could look like a coincidence and fate.Plus the rumours and all dating pics  were just a media play to garner audience by arising curiosity.It went on saying that as the script is absurd with no substance  they were banking on their leads' rumours to make it a success:triumph: ..They were backing it to fail just like some other big budget dramas which fell short of expectations in terms of ratings.When the first episode came out still people were badmouthing SYJ that she has done overacting and should have sticked to melo genre as comedy is not her cup of tea.And" JJH would have been a better choice".I accept that JJH is a good actress and can do comedy really well but it is my opinion that SYJ is much versatile.She perfectly managed to do both the comedic part and the emotional part in CLOY.Whereas I wouldn't have been able to connect to JJH as Yoon Seri in the emotional scenes.

While reading all these I kind of felt thankful that CLOY was doing so fine(it was still airing when i was reading those comments).I couldn't stop grinning thinking that all those haters who used to spew poison from their mouth must be desperately waiting for the weekend just like me:joy:. It is what you call "In your face".And I said to myself, this is just a snippet ,just wait few more weeks and you haters will burn with rage when  it breaks all the records and creates miracle.And that eventually happened in the last episode.I m so happy now that I can't control my emotions.:bawling:. I wish its popularity reaches every corner of the world..:kiss_wink:

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

@TotoroSY who knows if Mrs.First Lady of Korea Is a CLOY fan and quietly register for a Soompi account and lurk around here to read our discussions :phew:

Imagine how flattered HB will feel if he knows the First Lady is a fan of him :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I was musing again about CLOY earlier, Im impressed at how writer Park Ji Eun weaved her masterpiece skilfully and beautifully. No significant plot hole, storyline is seamless. Remember the time JH discovered that Seri's fridge is empty. That was a hilarious and comedic scene but she transformed it to a heart - melting and heart - warming scene when JH shopped for Seri and filled her pantry. through those scenes she was able to showcase their characters beautifully. That is just one, there are a myriad of ways writer nim amazed us.

I just hope it was made clearer why Seri sought euthanasia in Switzerland. My hunch is.. With the kind of family life she had, a dysfunctional one, that could be the reason. She was unloved and longed to be loved. But I could be wrong, there may be another reason. Im a bit puzzled why that issue was not elaborated. Seri mentioned to JH her former suicide attempts but surprisingly, Seri didn't tell why nor did JH asked the reason why.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

9 minutes ago, Samnamu-unnie said:

I was musing again about CLOY earlier, Im impressed at how writer Park Ji Eun weaved her masterpiece skilfully and beautifully. No significant plot hole, storyline is seamless. Remember the time JH discovered that Seri's fridge is empty. That was a hilarious and comedic scene but she transformed it to a heart - melting and heart - warming scene when JH shopped for Seri and filled her pantry. through those scenes she was able to showcase their characters beautifully. That is just one, there are a myriad of ways writer nim amazed us.

I just hope it was made clearer why Seri sought euthanasia in Switzerland. My hunch is.. With the kind of family life she had, a dysfunctional one, that could be the reason. However, Im a bit puzzled why that issue was not elaborated. Seri mentioned to JH her former suicide attempts but surprisingly, Seri didn't tell why nor did JH asked the reason why.

Luckily he was outside her hospital room when she played recording of her mom talking to her when she was unconscious so by that he was able to fill in the blanks pretty much I'm sure. Before that point I had wondered about that also. That's part of what made their story so special though...they just loved because they loved even without all the answers 

Edited by Dana T
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Dana T said:

Luckily he was outside her hospital room when she played recording of her mom talking to her when she was unconscious so by that he was able to fill in the blanks pretty much I'm sure. Before that point I had wondered about that also. That's part of what made their story so special though...they just loved because they loved even without all the answers 

@Dana T Now that you mentioned that recording.. I like your take on it. Agree. Sometimes saying nothing at all says much more. :)

• Like 3

I love reading all of your comments and insights!!! Thank you for sharing everyone :) 

I don't even watch Kdramas often but so invested emotionally and mentally on CLOY... I laughed so hard and cried my eyes out with our RiRi couple... and man, it was so worth it, every minute of it. It's been a few days now and I'm still going through the withdrawals and can't help feeling this void when the drama ended. Our OTP probably feel the emptiness that we're all feeling as well.. they both lived as SR and JH for 6 months so most likely when the drama ended they're sad and missed it too. If I remember correctly (???) during an old interview HB did state that he likes to go fishing after finish filming since you don't think much there... I guess it's his way of getting out of characters. While HB grabs a beer to end his day. SYJ may get herself some coffee sitting on her sofa and stares blankly ahead. Forgive me, I'm in my lala land here. lolz

Now I need another 6 months post-breakup to recuperate from CLOY :)))  and not planning to see any Kdramas soon knowing none of it will even come close to CLOY... HB and SYJ's chemistry and acting set the bar too high. I love our Riri couple and in fact love seeing HB and SYJ dating in real life as well. Deep down I don't want SR and JH's story to end and will continue by having our 2 leads dating, getting married and having kids or twins for real, haha  .. Well, that's just wishful thinking... dating or not I still wish them the best in personal life and future works. For now, it's gonna be so difficult to see them in other projects acting along other female/male leads 

• Like 9
  • Love 4

14 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

The best way to get these unaired scenes are usually through the Directors Cut.

I hope it pushes through!

Wow, this thread is still active!

There is one scene I would love to see in a director's cut version. In NK, after the clam-soju party with the guys, Se-ri woke up and wondered how she ended up in RJH's bed . I recall seeing  GIFs of the Captain carrying her to his bed and tucking her in(she was drunk).

Instead of showing us numerous "recall" scenes, they should have showed us more of this instead.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Samnamu-unnie said:

I just hope it was made clearer why Seri sought euthanasia in Switzerland. My hunch is.. With the kind of family life she had, a dysfunctional one, that could be the reason. She was unloved and longed to be loved. But I could be wrong, there may be another reason. Im a bit puzzled why that issue was not elaborated. Seri mentioned to JH her former suicide attempts but surprisingly, Seri didn't tell why nor did JH asked the reason why.

if there were a season two this is why it would be great. to really explore more of that period in Seri's life, and I also believe Seri and Seo Dan could be sisters, the writer explored their similar characteristics. I also loved conman character, he could be fleshed out more except he is dead. or is he? dun dun dun     Most articles don't want a season two as they don't things dragged out but there is so much more story to tell and I need more BinJin!!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, newbie said:

There is one scene I would love to see in a director's cut version. In NK, after the clam-soju party with the guys, Se-ri woke up and wondered how she ended up in RJH's bed . I recall seeing  GIFs of the Captain carrying her to his bed and tucking her in(she was drunk).

Instead of showing us numerous "recall" scenes, they should have showed us more of this instead.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  i never saw him carry her and tuck her in!!! I need to see this nooooooooooooowwwww

• Like 6

1 hour ago, newbie said:

Omg! I have always wondered that too. Did that really happen? Does anyone know where I can find this GIFs or pictures?

@Kristen Son If someone sends you the link, please DM me!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Katelyn Lana said:
Spoiler

I like the lines from the drama so much that I recognized all. 

“Why does the wind blows?It is blowing to move on"

“If it is meant to be, it will be"

“I made a promise to her that as long as she is in my sight, I will protect her"

“being single is a trend nowadays"

“Hoping that you are worrying about me like I do and wishing that you are pining for me like I do, is it love?"

“Or on the other hand, wishing that you won't be worrying about me and you will forget all the moments we had shared, is it love?"

“If it is neither, is it love that I am willing to go through everything from the very beginning so that I can meet you once again."

“Don't forget that the person you should never forget in your life is someone you like not someone you hate."

“You came into my life like a gift. I am thankful for that,”

“It’s not good to drag with someone or something for a long time.”

“It is not confidence, it is fate"

“Sometimes the wrong train takes you to the right station"

“I am a woman who has gone through hell of earth, water and even air"

“No matter what happens, I will remember you"

“Even if I have to worry about losing you everyday, I still want you in my life"

“What about we spent our days pretending like we can meet the next day and live a happy life?"

“When living your life becomes fun and happy, even if you forget me one day, I will be okay"

“As you are leaving soon, please do me this flavor.Take care. Don't get hurt.Live a good life.Don't forget us"

“I don't want to go back to North Korea.I just want to stay here with you.I want to get married with you here and have a child who takes after you."

“I want to see you grow old with gray hairs and wrinkles.You will still be pretty, right?"

“Your looks are totally my type.If our countries reunite, let's meet on a different occasion"

“Even if it breaks my heart because it is a dream that won't come true, I would like to sincerely dream about the future"

“You can meet the person you want to meet if you wait and pray desperately"

“I love you"

“사랑하오"(NK)

“사랑해요"(SK) 

“Let's meet at the country where this flower blooms"

“I hope you arrive at the right station, no matter which train you take."

“Does this mean you have become a special person for me?"

“All I had was myself, I didn't have anybody else, so this is awkward for me, having someone else that isn't myself"

"You're waiting for someone, but even you think that you're pathetic. That's not love. It's an obsession. The love you once had has changed and is now rotting. You should throw it away"

"At the end of that long dream, I finally made a choice. That even if I go back in the past, even if I do for a hundred more times, I will still choose to meet you."

“I got on the wrong train, and that very train brought me here. It brought me to the place I've yearned to come every morning and night. It brought me to my destination."

“I don't want to cherish you just as a memory"

“Edelweiss symbolizes precious memories"

“Until the day you find me, I will be waiting and praying desperately"

“We only have one life but I decided to spent my life encountering the love of my life, letting him go and waiting to meet once again"

“In a person's life, it is always the end that matters the most"

“You didn't fall, you descended"

“I hope you won't miss the small happiness you can find in your everyday life"

“We have never welcomed spring or sweater during summertime together but thanks to his messages that come like a gift every few days, it makes me feel like we are spending every season together"

"I am afraid he will be sad if I am so I tried my best to laugh, be thankful and happy"

“If we try our best, perhaps, fate will be on our side"

Is it just me who finds these lines so heart touching and meaningful?Still can't get over CLOY

@Katelyn LanaYou are amazing.  You copied all these touching quotes!!! I have even saved them for future reading :).  As I was reading your post, I felt like I was walking pass each scene again.  Some brought me tears.  Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, newbie said:

@newbie if you ever see that gif again, please share it to us. :) thank you!

• Like 3