[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

2 hours ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

There's a definite plot hole, though. Seri called Jeonghyeok "you (geu-jjok)" or without subject at first then at episode 3 she slipped "Ri Jeong-hyeok-ssi..."

Can I ask a question? Why did JH call SR Yoon Se Ri without ssi or dongmu? I noticed he always called her casually (e.g during YSR’s birthday). I mean if I am not mistaken Koreans use ssi to show some respects. Meanwhile, SR always called JH, Ri Jung Hyuk ssi. That’s why I am wondering why SR didn’t call him casually.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, INeedAFan said:

Can I ask a question? Why did JH call SR Yoon Se Ri without ssi or dongmu? I noticed he always called her casually (e.g during YSR’s birthday). I mean if I am not mistaken Koreans use ssi to show some respects. Meanwhile, SR always called JH, Ri Jung Hyuk ssi. That’s why I am wondering why SR didn’t call him casually.

I think in the initial episodes he used to call her dongmo but it was rare.

• Like 2

@INeedAFan

I'm not sure. It's just a person's idiosyncratic I guess. Some people still call their lovers "ㅇㅇㅇ ssi".. Some used more personal nicknames. 

Maybe Seri and Jeonghyeok get accustomed to how they call each other and find it endearing anyway.. 

Whatever works for them, I guess... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

10 hours ago, marshemell0ws said:

Did any of you watch School 2017? He was the lead male in that drama. he was also a lead role in another drama, but dropped out. This was right before CLOY which is his return.

Those dramas were lead roles but not on massive scale of cloy which is another tier because of its studio and  massive budget. The exposure he got from this drama is on another level. That is what i meant to say

• Like 2

Hi guys, this was just posted an hour ago!

Apparently actor Yoo SuBin (who plays Joo Meok) did an interview and talked about his thoughts after finishing CLOY. He also shared some moments in their wrapped up party yesterday, saying that all actors and crews cried together especially during that scene where Seungjun died and Seri ran towards JH before their separation in the border.... :tears::tears:

Anyone who understands Korean mind to translate this video? The interview seems interesting, and I'm that desperate for some new CLOY contents :bawling:

Edited by mintzsana
  • Like 11
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how Goblin and CLOY got lumped together, other than they were aired on the same channel, which sparked debate I guess. They were really different genres and had different writers. In fact, I was expecting comparison between CLOY and DOS since they both have a military background.

TBH, I also thought Goblin had a greater impact in terms of setting trends (that long winter coat damn), exposure as well as its popularity (ratings aside). It was heavily parodied and it seemed (MOST) of the younger generation knew about it, and still rave about it. BUT we have to remember that it had two extremely popular male leads, who many attribute its success to--the show thrived for its bromance, more so than romance. Also, unfortunately, SYJ once said, movies with all male leads tend to do better in the box office in korea, hence less female lead centered box office hits. I mean, even Sky Castle got mentioned heaps in all the variety shows!

But thank you @joonminfan for that parody clip. LOL. You can always gauge the success of a drama (in one way) by how often it is mentioned or parodied in variety shows, so I'm glad these clips are finally showing up.

I reckon the next scene that will garner parodies might be the border crossing (ep9)/ border separation (ep16) scene. It made me cry like a baby, I can't imagine how it will be translated into a comical scene. :sweatingbullets:

Nonetheless ratings are the best measure for success as it is cold hard numbers right? Just as it now holds the record for highest rated single episode, it is also the best drama for me in a long while!

@Dana T @ncly I too really loved his bowl cut. I never saw it as a bowl cut but rather a boyish cut. Much preferred it over bodyguard look in SK. (Not discounting his final suave look in Switzerland but!)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just watched the ending scene again and it teared me up:bawling:.Omg that thumping beat as he leans for a kiss(wish it was clear) and the camera zooms out .That moment takes my breath away everytime i watch it.My heart beat rises:heart:.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, luvcrabbieshinhwa said:

I can't find the picture, but Jeonghyeok was born in Juche 77 or 1988 in Gregorian calendar.

You can check it in episode 2/3 when he went to Pyeongyang alone and got asked for his ID card at the station.

For Seri, in episode 2, her first year-old (international age) birthday party was shown. It was in 1989. 

It means Seri was also born in 1988.

ps: JUCHE YEAR is the calendar they use in North Korea. Juche 1 means 1912, the year when Kim Il-Sung was born. They don't use normal Gregorian calendar. Initially, they did...but they changed it to Juche calendar around 1990-ish after Kim Il-Sung passed away to honor him. If you want to convert Gregorian to Juche, go here

Woaaah! Thank you for this. You're so informative. I think, I should stop thinking about it so much. :huh:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, imels said:

No, it did not say 2 weeks a year. But, when SR  said she took leave for two weeks (this is the best 2 weeks in her vacation), then the secretary asked her about why she always had vacation in switzerland later she did not answer his question. So, it means she was not only in switzerland only for 2 weeks in a year. But, more than that. 

It could also reference that actually years passed and SR for years without fail have been travelling to Switzerland which is why manager ask why she is always going there..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, INeedAFan said:
1 hour ago, INeedAFan said:

HB seem so himbo sometimes :lol:. 1) Don't tell me you don't know how to stand, look and just be hot 2) This is not your first K Drama ... how do you not know the cliched romantic moves by now? I am not fooled. You are really not 100% RJH lol.

It's ok, Binsshi ... SYJ and producer taught you well these six months. Now you even know how to have hand sex and deliver strong back hugs. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 4

The two weeks a year thing is something some fans assume  just because Seri mentioned her two weeks vacation and no timeline was given at that point but we do see in the home in Switzerland many pictures of them and someone even released pictures of kids in the house that later got cut by director so it means there is a version of them with kids for the ending and it got changed last minute and we dont know yet why. It could be for political reasons like they say OR they let the door open for a second season down the road.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, LovelySwiss said:

Hi everyone! I'm just a silent reader here but I can't take it anymore.:blink:

I'm so bothered about my separation anxiety and withdrawal symptoms from CLOY. I'm quite calmed down today but yesterday was so bad, I don't have the appetite and energy. 

I hope we can get a long! And help each other to move on if we can. :sweatingbullets:

Before I forgot. How old is JH and SR? Because I remember SD said she took the camera 10yrs ago. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

That is why many of us are still here on this thread. We have not gotten over CLOY and we are having withdrawal symptoms like you. Haha!

JH and Seri are both 32 when she crash landed on him in North Korea. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

Yes, it's so strange.  I don't watch too many but in recent years the ones I end up watching are those ones that are considered cultural phenomenons I guess (DOTS, Goblin) - never felt so invested in the otp.  I did adore them stupidly of course, but something is different with RJH and SR, maybe because as individuals they are fantastic characters, so easy to love, and so believable that we want to root for them forever.  As I write this I think the main reason is because I actually believed RJH and SR are in love and I got to be a part of their journey falling in love, and so in that way I'm much more invested in them than other pairings.  There are concrete examples that I can pinpoint to, i.e. their interactions, experiences, conversations, happy moments, and challenges, to mark each stage of their progression from crush, to like, to love.  This is the difference between RJH and SR, and other OTPs, I think.

5 hours ago, INeedAFan said:

Another thing, if I may add, is: the casting directors really did a good job in casting HB and SYJ. Both actors are of a similar age which make the pairing works. Had they casted lead actors with a significant age gap, the pairing would not have fit the main theme of this drama. 

@blue_fleurs  @INeedAFan  Agree with both your thots! For sure the casting of HB and SYJ played a major role cuz they made the characters chemistry and love so believable! What's also quite unique for JH-SR pairing is that both are very, very likeable characters! They are both kind and generous but no pushovers, and are leaders in their own right. Both are also very funny (SYJ and HB had great comic timing!). In part, this is due to the writing, and in part it's due to how HB and SYJ interpreted the roles. In the case of DOTS and Goblin, from what I've read online, the Male Leads was generally loved but the Female Leads received mixed reception from audience. Also the age difference of the OTP in Goblin didn't help. 

4 hours ago, Esteraela said:

Totally new here, but decided to join on the bandwagon because I see how everyone is so passionate about the Ri-ri couple and I had to join you all as well HEHE.

One thing that really struck me in the final episode was the talk between RJH's mom and Dan's mom.
It struck me because Dan's mom was so insistent on being the one to apologise for ending the engagement, instead of allowing RJH's mom to apologise.

Her persistence in requesting RJH's mom to accept her apology instead, really shows how much she really loves Dan despite her loud and gaudy ways. Because even if Dan's mom knew that it was RJH who didn't had feelings first, she'd rather be the one to apologise in her daughter's stead, so in this way, she protects Dan's pride as being the party who called off the engagement first.

YES!! I had the exact same thot!! SD's mom wanted to protect SD's pride and hence why she insisted on apologising first. I also love the part where she was so emotional when she said SD loved a man who loved her back more than his life. Such a great actress!!

4 hours ago, Desi said:

does anyone know lyrics of the chorus sigriswil ? its not english, right ?

Many discussion on this - so far we have concluded that it's in Romansch which is one of the 4 languages used in Switzerland. Check out the language on youtube and you may find it sounds very similar to the chorus of Sigriswil.

4 hours ago, Samnamu-unnie said:

Director Ri Chung-ryeol (Ri Jeong-hyeok's father) is the master of the game! :thumbsup: He was so cunning and wise. Indeed, grey hair speaks and acts wisdom. :grin:

The veteran actor really carries so much weight in his acting, and made the character's powerful presence so real!! I can totally believe how kickass he is! 

4 hours ago, superspace said:

5. SERI-LYING REJECTION IN GSJ HOUSE. I re-watching this scene for many times. Not because I'm happy that Seri being mean to RJH. But because how RJH knew Seri very well and not sincere with her words. He didn't put it into his heart rather understand right away and didn't want make Seri more suffer. The way he replied with: OK, I know it, but don't cry. OMG! My heart melted right away and tears cannot stop from my eyes. Oh God, can I have One RJH in my lonely life. Wkwkwkwk

This is one of my FAVORITE scene too!! When JH said "OK I know, but don't cry", I bawled!! What a dream leading man he is!!

I saw a video review of CLOY on youtube and one of the reviewer made a VERY INTERESTING point about RJH which I agree. She said that RJH is written with all the characteristics usually reserved for a 2nd Male Lead (caring, gentle, giving, sacrificial etc) who normally don't get the girl. All these 2nd male lead positives are put INTO a 1st Male Lead which is what made RJH such a potent character. I think this made PERFECT SENSE!!

1 hour ago, cakezetajones said:

I am also bowled by the word 'saudade' used in the lovely scene of Seri's tribute to the NK Ahjummas, where it was the name of the limited edition range of Seri' Choice cream. I paused to Google the meaning, and was gobsmacked by its meaning: "Saudade is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent somethings or someones that one cares for and/or loves while simultaneously having positive emotions towards the future. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never be had again"

And then I had rewind again to catch the exact Korean word used, and it was 'Keurium' and here's the exact meaning: In Korean, keurium (그리움) is probably closest to saudade. “It reflects a yearning for anything that has left a deep impression in the heart—a memory, a place, a person, etc.”

So so lovely. Kudos to the translator for capturing the essence of an important which truly reflects the mood of the story. 

1 hour ago, eLizza said:

Seems like we are all in "Saudade"  due to CLOY.

SPOT ON!! We are definitely all in Saudade or Keurium

42 minutes ago, Chowchow said:

IU's song is finally on Spotify, if anyone else was waiting like me :D 

Thank you!! Was waiting for this!

• Like 8
  • Love 2

I just happened to stumble upon the epilogue at episode 5. There is a part where Seri and Cha Sang woo (an actor or idol singer?) broke up and Sang woo said he hopes Seri meets someone whom she has to wait endlessly. Is that a curse or something? Or a foreshadowing? Because in the end, Seri had to repetitively wait for Jeong Hyeok (though it is mutual, Hyeoky also has to wait every year to see the person he longs for).

This series is unbelievably woven seamlessly.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 4

2 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

How much do I love CLOY?

I am making plans to visit Switzerland next year!

*Gotta start saving money*

In case you want to visit the location of RJH and Seri's love nest, it is in Lungern. :)

If anyone happens to be traveling to Switzerland during the warmer months of the year, hit me up. 

:)

• Like 4
  • Love 3