[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

1 hour ago, sussieh said:

Oh... nice writer-nim! :D

She seems to put attention to little details... that’s why I trust this writer with CLOY ending. I don’t think that she will let us down with the ending. :blush:

April 16 also marks the Sewol tragedy in 2014 that gripped the entire nation of Korea. A ferry carrying mostly students took a wrong turn and sank en route to Jeju from Incheon. 305 died in the disaster.

Coincidentally, a documentary In The Absence is nominated for an Oscar today for Best documentary. Hope it wins.  I won't find it unexpected if this was the show paying homage to the tragic event (or the documentary).

https://deadline.com/2020/01/in-the-absence-yi-seung-jun-gary-byung-seok-kam-oscars-documentary-short-interview-1202847908/

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Congrats to CLOY for the ratings! I loved this episode since we really can’t just have lovey dovey OTP 24/7; I think it was the climax where RJH realizes his true feelings and his heart opening up again after the death of his brother. Ep 14 will set the story up for more lovey dovey later( not sure if the ducklings can handle anymore though) .

If we are mirroring NK, it would be fair that it is SRs dad who steps up this time to help them and he who gets to experience the puppy love between the OTP.  

I do feel bad for our second leads. They really serve no purpose other than they both look great. I hope the writer somehow gives them a purpose to help our leads get together or something .  But, I understand they had to be sacrificed because everyone loves the ducklings! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Dana T said:

@Annie12I know right when he reached for 1st button I think I instinctively was like Seri "omo what is he doing" ...then I was like YEAH FINALLY!!!! Little disappointed only got shoulder not whole shirt off but @least we got some skin lol!  Was so sweet how he wanted to show her his scars so she wouldn't feel so insecure. 

And omg...I literally melted when he was putting up the groceries and lowered them for her because she's shorter. I mean this man thinks of everything! ? tho do u think this was done before while she was in hospital or after the shootout and he's leaving with no goodbye only the note?

Who was shot do you think? I rewound the video to be sure and he definitely had a tear run down his cheek which made me worry that he knew he was risking his life with her either by being shot or by shooting CCK and being taken in. 

I do hope we get to see the scene with the pic of her in flower dress and him in blue suit sitting across from each other smiling so proudly at each other. They truly are the most amazing...BEAUTIFUL people. Both in these roles and in real life! So happy for the success of this drama:heart:

About the last scene, I think it's CCK being shot by the NIS. The NIS already warned them if they're shot the NIS would make a move to shot them and CCK make sudden move to took his gun. Bcs if RJH got shot he would move or flinch as the hurt of the bullet or if he was shot CCK. So

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

10 Most Searched Dramas In Korea (Based On Feb. 9 Data)

source: https://www.kpopmap.com/10-most-searched-dramas-in-korea-based-on-feb-9-data/

Feb 10, 2020

Naver has a ranking of the most searched dramas in Korea with a daily ranking. Being searched online does not mean that these dramas are the most watched, but it is the most issued dramas of the day. It is also interesting to see the changing trends with dramas going up and down from the searching list (changing every day).
This list is based on the data of Feb. 9 daily searched dramas.

1- “Crash Landing on You

2- “Itaewon Class

3- “Hot Stove League

4- “Tell Me What You Saw”

5- “Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life

6- “Selection: The War Between Women

7- “Dr. Romantic 2

8- “Forest

9- “Touch

10- “Never Twice”

• Like 5
  • Love 1

It's really funny how we've waited ever so patiently &not so patiently all these weeks for this drama. Through all the breaks and cliffhangers driving us crazy....but sadly now even though it seemed like forever as we waited....it's almost over and that is even more sad. I've been trying to learn as I get older to slow down and stop wishing my life away but these kdramas aren't helping lol!  Trying to remind myself like with everything else in life it's not about the destination but the journey. We miss the little things along the way because we want to see how it will end...just food for thought 

@avocado yum good plan let's hope that's it! Ok so do u think he left groceries and  note before or after this? Do u think he'll leave like that with note for goodbye without seeing her? He made the piano recording that she already has @hospital and if I remember correctly he had on same clothes in that scene so guess it was all done @same time. So apparently he left recorder with her and went to her condo to leave note before he met CCK ...knowing things could go bad??

Edited by Dana T
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I sorta read all the comments from early watchers this morning. What I can suggest is never skip scenes because fillers are important. I might have been frustrated by the lack of skin ship in this drama but I also agree that they didn't lack in expressing those through the main leads gazes and minor touches. And filler dialogues are important because you would know back stories ie. CCG and SeRi's family issues. I never fast forward dramas when they are really this good because you will loose the meat of the drama. 

Anyhow, thoughts on Episode 14: (again, in any order) 

. What a twist of fate for SD and GSJ. Well, SD just ran off crying on ep. 13 because duh! She's broken hearted. But now you see her making out with GSJ. Well, didn't that escalate fast. I think what fueled SDs decision to let RJH go is her mom. Her mom just wants her to be happy. I like it when GSJ called out SD to talk because obviously he couldn't stop thinking about her. And he tells her her great qualities. Even I'm swooning over them now and I wasn't into their story line before. 

. No dead CCG. Well, if MB closed his eyes when pulling the trigger and he doesn't know how to aim obviously bad guy won't be dead. Keep your eyes on the target at all times, yah know. But I doubt CCG will have the strength to kidnap SeRi in that condition. I believe he isn't doing well with that gun shot wound. He looks bad...

. When SeRi calls JH to go to the hospital because she just woke up, it was cute when she was nagging him over the phone. You can tell the level of love when someone is ready to die for you. Like this two together is just perfect. In the room, JH was angry at her but she just opens up her arms if he will keep continuing being angry and they hug. Obviously he was so scared that he was going to loose her that's why he was angry. She didn't need to risk her life for him. RJH is a man who has hyper sensitivity to eminent danger, I guess. Telling SeRi he loves her at the time that he almost actually lost her is a good idea. The rest of YSR and RJH scenes are just too funny to boot. 

. The Ducklings & Man Bok! Where to begin with this Magnificient 5?! I am so glad these guys decided to stay. I really am. I am so happy that SeRi has people that love her and are ready to fight for her. They were so sad when SeRi was unconscious for the past 2 days and they couldn't do anything for her. But! When they showed the scene of MB wire tapping SeRi's room had me rolling in laughter. The way that he got in the hospital as a cleaner was just funny. All the scenes of the guys listening in the convos was great to watch especially when it felt like they were listening in on a real life Korean drama. OH! When YSR and RJH were being lovey dovey in the hospital room and then you hear PCS say, "Captain Ri, we haven't had breakfast yet!" had me LOL on my own. Every time the two love birds did something cutesy, the squad walks out because...AWKWARD...

. The SeRi & moms story. Well...about damn time. 14 episodes later...YEY! I hope they'll have a better relationship. EDIT: Mother and daughter relationships in this drama is such a plus, I believe. I appreciate it so much being a daughter myself. It’s not easy to relate to moms sometimes because never know how they feel. But I love how the mom regrets leaving SeRi by the beach and came back to find her but she wasn’t there anymore. Their relationship was sad compared to that of Dan and her moms. I’m glad at this point forward SeRi and mom can finally reconcile. Also, I love that the mom took RJH out for coffee and asked how long have they been dating. It’s nice not to see that usual KDrama trope in this where the mom is against the relationship. And that she wants RJH to stay by SeRis side. 

. 2nd old Bro & his wife. Well, he deserved that and more. I would like them to be put to jail, not only financially cut off. As someone in here mentioned before, they are digging their own grave. I love how deep that's getting haha! 

. The man with the plannnnn - RJHs dad. Because he knew that CCG will use his connection with the Military Director, Daddy Ri had to prepare himself. I like the idea of SR going back to NK though. Always ahead of all these underdog guys...He good old man. One week. Alrighty, Daddy Ri. .

One things I've liked is that there is a plan. There is always a plan. RJH probably spoke to that NIS guy about where CCG is and they are following him too. Who knows. RJH did say that he is also putting everything on the line. So let's see! I already know I'd cry buckets because SYJ and HB are just great criers. 

BTW, how sweet of RJH. Piano recording and grocery shopping for SeRi. He even thought about if SeRi can reach the top most part of the cabinet; he instead moved the stuff to the bottom one. What a guy! To the singles, don't you want your own Captain Ri?! lol! 

Laters, alligators!

Edit: CCG was the one who got shot in that cliffhanger. He dead, bruh...

Edited by pnaysurfer84
Too many spelling errors; additional things added and some omitted
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

So I watched the episode this morning and I have to say - there was no reason for it to be long. It's strange, I enjoyed the first half, but the second half I watched with the breaks. I still enjoyed it but I felt not as invested as before... And my preference doesn't really depend on anything, it's very random, but enjoyed yesterday's episode so much more.

I had a few issues with this one. And my main one (omg never thought i'd say this) is  Jeong-hyuk. Yes, our perfect main lead turned out to be not so perfect (for me). His motivation at this point is a bit of a mystery (Mr. RI, ha) for me. Last episode we established that JH and the others know that the whole  kidnapping plan was created  by her evil brother. We know it ended up with shooting. Yet JH calmly allows her family near her!!! How is this even possible? He knows already what they are capable of, but he leaves her with them, and the moment they say that he's "fired" he leaves! What was that??? And then, he gets angry at her for trying to save his life (what about me, how would I live knowing you're gone., etc.) but he knows what her family is like and still just goes after CCG, knowing what danger it presents to him (and, frankly, Seri, since everyone knows they are together) - he just leaves her and buzzes off in the middle of the night. I get what the writer is going for, but I felt that everything was a bit inconsistent with his character. Which made me sad.  

Another issue I had was with the plot itself. It seems...spreading? I was afraid of this, instead of solving existing issues, we add new issues, new characters and plots. Meanwhile the plot of NK officials trying to catch JH and CCG in South Korea could have been executed in a simpler manner. We don't need to see the dialogues about this. We KNOW this, this is why we followed the story of JH and F5 in SK... The black vans in the end would be enough of the twist.

One more issue that becomes pretty big - the kiss between the leads was lame. I am sorry, can Seri be a bit more passionate than a stunned fish when she kisses the man she loves? I know it's the direction, but at this point I'd prefer no kisses than this. It's a pity to have such a strong chemistry between the actors and such lack of chemistry when they kiss each other? Makes me wish Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin would date in real life so I could see some passion! 

Also, I feel like F4 didn't have much to do? They didn't move the plot forward, had one PPL moment, and that's basically it. Felt a bit dragging for me. Only Man Bok was active this episode. (I'll talk about him later).

Ok, now that I got this out of my plate lets focus on the positive stuff :)

I loved the fact that JH's father lied about Seri :D Like father like son!!! It reminded me of Episode 3, when JH was saying, without blinking, that Seri is in Division 11. "Why yes, I know my son is in Seoul, I sent him there to bring Seri, obviously". Lol I absolutely loved that part.

Ajhummas were funny. Idk, I love NK moments, they are much more fun, and Dan's mother is growing on me with each episode, she is charming, her random English adds to her character, and for the first time I saw this situation with JH from Dan's perspective. Yes, one dreams of a  Ri Jeong-hyuk, only if one gets to be in Seri's shoes. Not in Dan's.

But Dan herself is still not showing positive qualities. In fact, she is getting physical with GSJ....I don't know. I feel like GSJ could do much better than Dan.

Man Bok is so adorable. Wow I am so glad we get to see his journey. The actor did an amazing job, I feel like this character can only work with him. Every time I see him I'm rooting for him! He is a national treasure. I really hope his family is going to be ok...

I also enjoyed the moments with Seri's mom. They were strong, and sad and powerful. I liked her meeting with JH and how F5 were watching them.. So funny!

The epilogue was adorable. See, this is what I want from this show! Not the tragic shootings (which is ok, but not when it's literally every episode), give me domestic stuff.

I miss them being in NK... I guess we'll see where the plot takes us. Everything about this show is so unpredictable. Even my reaction to every episode is unpredictable. Will I like it or not? Who knows. The only thing I know is I am going to miss CLOY and its characters so much. :( 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@hibiscus23 @Ameera Ali @Lawyerh @sadthe1st @mouse007 @Sejabin @Sarang21 @im0202 :wub:+:ph34r:+:D 

Hello, Comrades!

Are you done watching Episodes 13 and 14 of CLOY? Me, YES! And all I can say is ... "I'm so excitedly looking forward to the Episodes 15 and 16! LOL" :joy:

Whoaaaaah ... I'm so excited that I'm NOT! Guess I'll be needing more mind-conditioning that I won't be seeing CLOY after Feb. 16. Indeed, some good things never last! 

Anyway, Ep. 14 left me shivered with different emotions! Just how can I survive this week after it ended THAT way? A total C.L.I.F.F.H.A.N.G.E.R, that's how it is to me :warning: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, pnaysurfer84 said:

I sorta read all the comments from early watchers this morning. What I can suggest is never skip scenes because fillers are important. I might have been frustrated by the lack of skin ship in this drama but I also agree that they didn't lack in expressing those through the main leads gazes and minor touches. And filler dialogues are important because you would know back stories ie. CCG and SeRi's family issues. I never fast forward dramas when they are really this good because you will loose the meat of the drama. 

Anyhow, thoughts on Episode 14: (again, in any order) 

. What a twist of fate for SD and GSJ. Well, SD just ran off crying on ep. 13 because duh! She's broken hearted. But now you see her making out with GSJ. Well, didn't that escalate fast. I think what fueled SDs decision to let RJK go is her mom. Her mom just wants her to be happy. I like it when GSJ called out SD to talk because obviously he couldn't stop thinking about her. And he tells her her great qualities. Even I'm swooning over them now and I wasn't into their story line before. There's a scene where GSJ is running away from the State Dept. and I believe that SDs mom is the person going up the stairs with a gun; for what reason, well, episode 15 is next week. 

. No dead CCG. Well, if MB closed his eyes when pulling the trigger and he doesn't know how to aim obviously bad guy won't be dead. Keep your eyes on the target at all times, yah know. But I doubt CCG will have the strength to kidnap SeRi in that condition. I believe he isn't doing well with that gun shot wound. He looks bad...

. When SeRi calls JK to go to the hospital because she just woke up, it was cute when she was nagging him over the phone. You can tell the level of love when someone is ready to die for you. Like this two together is just perfect. In the room, JK was angry at her but she just opens up her arms if he will keep continuing being angry and they hug. Obviously he was so scared that he was going to loose her that's why he was angry. She didn't need to risk his life for her. RJK is a man who has hyper sensitivity to eminent danger, I guess. Telling SeRi he loves her at the time that he almost actually lost her is a good idea. The rest of YSR and RJK scenes are just too funny to boot. 

. The Ducklings & Man Bok! Where to begin with this Magnificient 5?! I am so glad these guys decided to stay. I really am. I am so happy that SeRi has people that love her and are ready to fight for her. They were so sad when SeRi was unconscious for the past 2 days and they couldn't do anything for her. But! When they showed the scene of MB wire tapping SeRi's room had me rolling in laughter. The way that he got in the hospital at did it was just funny. All the scenes of the guys listening in the convos great to watch especially when it felt like they were listening in on a real life Korean drama. OH! When YSR and RJK were being lovey dovey in the hospital room and PCS said, "Captain Ri, we haven't had breakfast yet!" had me LOL on my own. Every time the two birds did something cutesy, the squad walks out because...AWKWARD...

. The SeRi & moms story. Well...about damn time. 14 episodes later...YEY! I hope they'll have a better relationship. 

. 2nd old Bro & his wife. Well, he deserved that and more. I would like them to be put to jail, not only financially cut off. As someone in here mentioned before, they are digging their own grave. I love how deep that's getting haha! 

. The man with the plannnnn - RJKs dad. Because he knew that CCG will use his connection with the Military Directory, Daddy Ri had to prepare himself. I like the idea of SR going back to NK but why use her for her money?! Anyways, there's still 2 episodes to see. I'd rather not have him use her money for NK purposes. geez. 

One things I've liked is that there is a plan. There is always a plan. RJK probably spoke to that NIS guy about where CCG is and they are following him too. Who knows. RJK did say that he is also putting everything on the line. So let's see! I already know I'd cry buckets because SYJ and HB are just great criers. 

BTW, how sweet of RJK. Piano recording and grocery shopping for SeRi. He even thought about if SeRi can reach the top most part of the cabinet; he instead moved the stuff to the bottom one. What a guy! To the singles, don't you want your own Captain Ri?! lol! 

Laters, alligators!

Edit: CCG was the one who got shot in that cliffhanger. He dead, bruh...

I am not single, but please let me know where can I order 1 Jeong Hyeok/Hyun Bin for my own grocery boy :w00t: I am 152cm Oppa..

On a related note to CLoY; scenes when the 5 ducklings listened to the tapped convos had me in stiches!! Man Bok even acted out the 'fight' between Chairman Yoon with his second son LOL :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

OSEN | 2020. 02. 09. 7:24 PM

"Crash Landing On You" reaches new rating record through Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin's tearful reunion

0004163252_001_20200210082407878.jpg

"Crash Landing On You" has conquered viewers' attention when portraying the intimate time of the couple Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin after she woke up.

Episode 14 broadcast on February 9 of the Sat-Sun drama "Crash Landing on You" (tvN, screenwriter: Park Ji Eun, director: Lee Jung Hyo) beat its own record with an average viewership rating of 17.7% and the highest one of 19%  in a paid platform that integrates cable, IPTV, and satellite, and also led the viewership ratings of dramas in the same time slot on all channels (including the terrestrial one). In particular, the drama once again captured female audiences' hearts when it scored a record rating of 25.9% with the subject of women in their 50s. Besides, "Crash Landing on You" topped the list of dramas aired in the same time frame with audiences of all ages (from their 20s to 60s) and genders. Regarding tvN's target audience (from 20 to 49 years old), the drama also set a similar record when it climbed to an average of 12.2% and a maximum of 13.3%, thereby causing a sensation on the small screen. (Nationwide paid platform standard/ Provided by Nielsen Korea)

Yoon Se Ri (played by Son Ye Jin) - who fell into a  long coma after being hit by the bullet - awakened and brought appreciation to everyone. As soon as she regained consciousness and opened her eyes, she calmed the atmosphere that was tense when directly ordering the siblings surrounding her to "get lost". After that, the reunion in tears between her and Ri Jeong Hyeok - who ran immediately after learning that she was awake - once again made the hearts of the audience sobbed.

After scolding Yoon Se Ri for sacrificing herself for him, Ri Jeong Hyeok cried, hugged her, and confessed what was hidden in his heart all this time, "I love you. I was so scared that I could not say this to you." The passionate love of the two when crossing the boundary of life and death has made viewers shed tears and have many thoughts after watching the drama.

After that, the scene of Ri Jeong Hyeok over-protecting Yoon Se Ri in the hospital has filled the episode's atmosphere with pink color and made the audience laugh out loud. The two did not care about the eyes of those around them and showed affection for each other. The both's sweet look for each other even made them get entangled the dating rumor.

At the end of episode 14, Ri Jeong Hyeok and Cho Cheol Gang (played by Oh Man Seok) made the atmosphere extremely tense when once again standing face to face. After learning that Cho Cheol Gang is still alive, Ri Jeong Hyeok went to his hideout and tried to kill him, but he then was at risk of being arrested by the National Intelligence Service. The agency has learned that both of them are from North Korea. As he was acting obediently at Ri Jeong Hyeok's gunpoint, Cho Cheol Gang suddenly turned around, pulled out his weapon and shot at Ri Jeong Hyeok. After that, an unidentified gunshot rang out in the middle of nowhere, ending the episode with a strong impression on the audience.

Right upon the broadcast, the audience showed fervent interactions to the absorbing developments of "Crash Landing on You" such as "If it ends here, how can I wait until the next week?," "The story deployment is really bittersweet," "Captivating ending and interesting epilogue," "I don't believe time went by that fast," etc.

Thus, "Crash Landing On You" is still making the small-screen audiences' hearts flutter every weekend night thanks to the story that is coming to an end and the sweet romance of Hyun Bin - Son Ye Jin couple.

"Crash Landing On You" (tvN) will broadcast the last two episodes 15 and 16 at 9 pm (KST) next Saturday and Sunday.

OSEN = Reporter Kang Seo Jung /kangsj@osen.co.kr
Photo = Screenshot from "Crashing Landing on You" (tvN) 
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

If CLOY was a contender at the Oscars, I think the clip shown during the nominations preview would be the SK hospital scene when RJH comes after SR calls him and they hug, and he says I love you to her.  Agree with most of you that they were displaying their best acting chops for this scene.  It's not just 1 actor having to display this but both need to be in sync with chemistry and thankfully HB and SYJ succeeded.  I will say, HB appeared like he was more emotional and cried more, but realistically SYJ was lying down and tears fall sideways or get welled up when her head is in this position.  She needs credit, too!

On the kiss reaction from SR, I can see there's some disbelief in how she could possibly still react this way at this stage of the relationship and after kissing him a few times already.  Despite my opinion after episode 13 (about how unnatural it is and borderline unrealistic), I now genuinely think she reacts this way after a small peck because both of them agreed that they would not create memories for their impossible future - SR was confused more than shy because she thought they had this mutually agreed upon, unspoken sentiment.  I guess RJH and SR both took this implied agreement really seriously, more than us as viewers appreciated, and this is why they didn't kiss at all since their reunion and at the hospital she was taken aback that he decided to go for it anyway.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

48 minutes ago, Favnia said:

One more issue that becomes pretty big - the kiss between the leads was lame. I am sorry, can Seri be a bit more passionate than a stunned fish when she kisses the man she loves? I know it's the direction, but at this point I'd prefer no kisses than this. It's a pity to have such a strong chemistry between the actors and such lack of chemistry when they kiss each other? Makes me wish Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin would date in real life so I could see some passion! 

Also, I feel like F4 didn't have much to do? They didn't move the plot forward, had one PPL moment, and that's basically it. Felt a bit dragging for me. Only Man Bok was active this episode. (I'll talk about him later).

Hi there! I thought about these two points too while watching the livestreaming episode on TVN and watching it again with subtitles. 

It was hard for me to understand Seri's emotion and character development when JH kissed her. We all know she loves him very much and would do everything for him, and she's ok with hand holding and hugging, but when he kissed her she got confused, may be taken back, surprised or perhaps scared? For a second, I thought after JH kissed her he was waiting to see her reaction and was reluctant to do more because he thought he could have freaked her out? I'm unsure of how to understand this part, which I hope someone can enlightenment me on this. 

I personally love love love the first half of CLOY. I think it's been awhile since I've watched a k-drama with such witty scripts, very-fitting characters, and peaceful and beautiful sceneries (in NK). I remember someone here talking about the contrast the screenwriter was trying to portray between the tight-knit NK communities (the village and the people there) versus the isolated and pressuring SK societies (mostly surrounding Seri's family and their sons' greed) , and I could totally feel that in the first 10 episodes. Not that I don't appreciate the last 6 episodes of CLOY because 16 episodes fully in NK are just too many and draining, but now that we're back to SK, it suddenly just makes me miss the NK lives so much more.

I can't wait to see how everything wraps up in the last 2 episodes. Really going to miss all the casts and all the witty moments between everyone after the drama ends. 

12 minutes ago, blue_fleurs said:

On the kiss reaction from SR, I can see there's some disbelief in how she could possibly still react this way at this stage of the relationship and after kissing him a few times already.  Despite my opinion after episode 13 (about how unnatural it is and borderline unrealistic), I now genuinely think she reacts this way after a small peck because both of them agreed that they would not create memories for their impossible future - SR was confused more than shy because she thought they had this mutually agreed upon, unspoken sentiment.  I guess RJH and SR both took this implied agreement really seriously, more than us as viewers appreciated, and this is why they didn't kiss at all since their reunion and at the hospital she was taken aback that he decided to go for it anyway.

I thought about this too, but then I thought, after all the hand holding, the hugging, the running-away-from-work-to-sneak-out-some-dates-together, Seri putting herself out to protect JH, and then finally JH confessing he loves her and they hugged for so long in the hospital (which is a lot for making memories together), that a kiss would 'confuse' her? May be I'm just bad at understanding character development in general, but I guess if that's how SYJ, HB, the director and screenwriter agreed on how she should react/act, I should give this a benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 3

From the humanization of North Korea, to having F5 cheer the South Korea soccer team to references to One Korea, the writer has certainly made reunification a major theme in this drama. The most subtle way this has been conveyed is through three of the OSTs in this drama. There are three OSTs by Nam Hye-Seung - “Photo of my Mind” by Song Ga-In, “The Hill of Yearning” by April 2nd, and an instrumental “All of my Days”. They all share the same melody, which is very unique. Why commission three overlapping OSTs?

The first time I heard the two first songs, I thought – the first is the female version for YSR, and the second is the male version for RJH, and the last is them combined. This is one level of understanding, but what was puzzling was the last instrumental OST didn’t fit this interpretation. 

“Photo of my Mind” is a classic Korean ballad. The melody evokes a simple folk song. (In fact, after listening to it the first time, I did a search for Korean folk songs, thinking that they must have re-used a famous folk song.) Song Ga-In is an “older” generation of Korean singers, known for her traditional Korean pop songs known as "trot". The style of this arrangement is classic. It goes from main melody, then shifts up to a climax before closing. Nothing fancy about this song. It is very old school, like the old-fashioned cake that RJH chose for YSR. And if you notice the words, it talks about having her in his eye. This words are actually more RJH’s song than YSR.  This is the North Korea version.

“The Hill of Yearning” sung by April 2nd uses the “Photo of My Mind” main melody in the first few bars, and then spins off into a very modern take. It is a variation on a theme. It uses an electronic keyboard for a new-age feel, adds drums in the middle section for a modern rhythm, and then comes back to the main melody again. In the words, it talks about my “small hands”. This is the YSR South Korea version.

If the story of these OSTs were just meant to be a musical interpretation of the RJH-YSR romance, then the 3rd OST should be a blend of the two styles. But strangely, the third instrumental version “All of my Days” is not a romantic closure of the first and second. It is an instrumental, so there are no words for us to interpret the meaning. You need to listen to the music to see what it is trying to say. It is a symphonic version, complete with trumpets, tympanum, flutes, violins, cello and drums. The trumpets are the give-away. It is on a different scale than the first two - like a grand national anthem built on the base of a folk song, not a two-person love song. It reminds me of Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring. This is the Korea reunification version.

This is the only way I have been able to interpret the OSTs, and if true, I really appreciate the depth of thought that the writer and director have given to the series.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 7

8 minutes ago, ncly said:

I thought about this too, but then I thought, after all the hand holding, the hugging, the running-away-from-work-to-sneak-out-some-dates-together, Seri putting herself out to protect JH, and then finally JH confessing he loves her and they hugged for so long in the hospital (which is a lot for making memories together), that a kiss would 'confuse' her? May be I'm just bad at understanding character development in general, but I guess if that's how SYJ, HB, the director and screenwriter agreed on how she should react/act, I should give this a benefit of the doubt. 

Fair points!  I don't think there's a right or wrong way to interpret it.  Each example you refer to creates, in itself, the memories they wish so much not to create, but they are all short of the physical intimacy (not hand-holding/hugging) that I suppose is symbolic for moving a relationship to the next stage, which is what they try to avoid.  To me, they must view kissing/this physical intimacy as the invisible line they won't cross.

• Like 1

The wittiest scene for me in this episode is when 1st sis-in-law asked SR's assistant if JH is available for ESCORT SERVICES? :tounge_xd:

And JH was standing right nearby. As a N Korean I'm wondering if he knows anything about it!:blush:

Aigoo! Luckily we have scenes like this to EVEN OUT the sad ones otherwise this GEM of a drama wont be touted as a romcom! 

Whether there are enough kisses or not, I' m loving this drama MORE than ever!:love:

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3