[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

On 8/30/2020 at 5:40 AM, Seriya said:

I've been to beautiful Jeju but didn't recognize those forests/running fields as part of the island!   I thought it was just somewhere in mainland SK.  SYJ looks like a good runner btw lol. Do you know where in SK the paragliding scenes in NK were filmed where they both jump off the cliff or was that all CGI?  And I'm guessing the NK village was a built set? But then I saw this pic of HB & SYJ at a famous Busan restaurant so it seems they went on location around SK as well?

I agree that Switzerland was featured because it is traditionally where NK elites go for studies because it is a neutral country.  I liked that they touched on the difference in lives between NK villagers, elites etc with a deft touch.  I didn't find that the scenes in Switzerland from the characters' past to be a strong theme in the storytelling, but I guess the writer wanted to hammer in the themes of fate and destiny and the characters saving each other.  But for me, the story of the 2 characters simply falling in love in NK in the present was enough for me. 

Yes, I'm still rewatching too but skipping all the villain scenes heh. 

I was also wondering about, is it normal for Seo Dan's mother and uncle- or in any Korean relationship- to have the woman kind of kicking/shoving the man as a point of humour? Is that a cultural thing?  I didn't realize till after watching CLOY that they were in Parasite as well! 

Was CLOY expected to do well before release because it was written by a writer who had written hits before and 2 top actors?  Or was it not expected to do well because of the NK premise etc?  It seems the series has exceeded expectations in terms of popularity both in SK and abroad.  Well deserved! 

I think the paragliding scene except for the tornado of course lol is a real place in Korea. The filmed in a lot of locations and they have become somewhat of a tourist spot in SK. The  Busan scenes are the ones from the port and the boat scenes I believe. There’s quite a few videos on YouTube where people go on these filming location tours. This one’s one of my faves: 

As for the kicking thing, it’s pretty much a cultural thing. It’s way waaay worse with other kdramas lol such as grabbing wrist, hitting and a lot of yelling. I’ve been watching kdramas for years and I could never get used to it lol. It has gotten a lot better now with newer shows such as CLOY, thankfully. 

I believe the initial criticism and skepticism before the show started was the NK plot. But alas, CLOY proved them all wrong by ending up to be the highest rated TVN series/3rd in cable history and a worldwide phenomenon too. 

• Like 3

https://www.soompi.com/article/1425562wpp/winners-of-the-seoul-drama-awards-2020

Winners Of The Seoul Drama Awards 2020

Winners Of The Seoul Drama Awards 2020

Sep 15, 2020
by C. Hong

The Seoul Drama Awards 2020 (also known as the Seoul International Drama Awards) honored some of the best and brightest of television from South Korea and around the world.

Due to Level 2.5 social distancing guidelines in the recent COVID-19 outbreak in South Korea, this year’s ceremony was “non-face-to-face,” which meant no winners or presenters attended. The ceremony was recorded with the smallest number of people present. It did not air live but the recording was broadcast on MBC on September 15.

The MCs were Kim Soo Ro, GOT7’s Jinyoung, and MBC announcer Park Ji Min.

The Grand Prize for the Seoul Drama Awards 2020 was awarded to the Brazilian TV series “Orphans of a Nation.” KBS’s hit drama “When the Camellia Blooms” took home five awards, including acting awards for Gong Hyo Jin and Kang Ha Neul. tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” also took home two trophies, including one for Son Ye Jin.

Check out the list of winners below!

Grand Prize: “Orphans of a Nation” (Brazil)
Serial Drama Golden Bird Prize: “Bolívar” (Colombia)
Serial Drama Silver Bird Prize: “Mr. Fighting” (China)
TV Movie Golden Bird Prize: “The Turncoat” (Germany)
TV Movie Silver Bird Prize: “
Everything and Nothing” (South Korea)
Mini-Series Golden Bird Prize: “World on Fire” (United Kingdom)
Mini-Series Silver Bird Prize: “Itaewon Class” (South Korea)
Best Actor: Waleed Zuaiter (“Baghdad Central”)
Best Actress: Gong Hyo Jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
Best Screenwriter: Im Sang Choon (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
Best Director: Adam Smith (“World on Fire”)
Jury’s Special Prize: “The Cage” (Czech Republic), XX (South Korea)
Most Popular Foreign Drama: “Snowpiercer” (United States), “Descendants of the Sun” (Philippines), “The New Pope” (Italy)
Excellent Korean Drama: “When the Camellia Blooms”
Outstanding Korean Drama: “Crash Landing on You,Stove League,” “Extraordinary You
Outstanding Korean Actor: Kang Ha Neul (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
Outstanding Korean Actress: Son Ye Jin (“Crash Landing on You”)
Best OST in Korean Drama: “When the Camellia Blooms”)
Short-Form Drama Golden Bird Prize: “18h30” (France)
Asian Star Prize: Dingdong Dantes, Yokohama Ryusei

Congratulations to all the winners !

Source (1) (2)

______

Director Lee Jung-hyo's  recorded speech after receiving the award for Crash Landing On You

Spoiler

SYJ's speech after receiving the Outstanding Actress award

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs/Tweets in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 4

Behind the scene photos are starting to surface on the interview - released by the crew. Rumor has it that the confidentiality clause in the contract/agreement has finally expired now, thus photos are spreading. 

Credit to the original owner as well as edelweiss2511, crashlandingonyoudrama, and callmebymyrealname on instagram

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-55-09-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-55-19-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-52-05-AM.pn

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-59-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-55-25-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-53-57-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-24-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-18-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-11-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-56-02-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-54-03-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-32-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-56-08-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-54-15-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-38-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-53-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-47-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-41-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-32-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-26-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-56-14-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-54-25-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-45-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-59-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-56-20-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-55-00-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-52-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-51-05-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-20-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-11-50-10-AM.pn

• Like 4
  • Love 2

CLOY is still strong in Japan

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200919/p2a/00m/0et/018000c

News Navigator: Why is S. Korean drama 'Crash Landing on You' so popular in Japan?

September 21, 2020 (Mainichi Japan)

The Mainichi Shimbun answers some common questions readers may have about "Crash Landing on You," a smash hit South Korean drama that has also caused an enormous craze in Japan.

Question: I've heard that the drama "Crash Landing on You," which is set in North Korea, has been wildly popular. What's the storyline?

Answer: It's a serial drama aired by South Korean cable network tvN, in which Yoon Se-ri (played by Son Ye-jin), the daughter of a South Korean conglomerate family, crash lands in North Korea in a paragliding accident and falls in love with a North Korean elite military officer Ri Jeong Hyeok (Hyun Bin) who she happened to encounter.

In Japan, the 16-episode romantic comedy series has been distributed exclusively by Netflix since February. A flurry of comments posted by viewers saying they "repeatedly watched the drama" poured onto social media, causing a sensation in Japan. Its popularity continues even now, with the show topping Netflix's daily viewership ranking on some days in September.

Q: What's so cool about the drama?

A: One of the highlights is that the series portrays the lifestyles of North Korean people -- from their diet to shopping at markets -- based on real-life information including interviews with North Koreans who defected to South Korea. Although there were dramas and movies in the past in which North Korean characters appear, Bunkyo University professor Yeong-ae Yamashita, who is versed in South Korean culture and women's studies, notes that "Crash Landing on You" is likely the first South Korean drama that describes the realities of North Korea in such detail.

Q: So why is this show so hot in Japan?

A: It has heretofore been thought that most of the Japanese fans of South Korean dramas were women who prefer love stories. While "Crash Landing on You" also evolves around a love story, the series also offers depictions surrounding the internal affairs of North Korea and powerful action scenes, capturing the hearts of many male viewers as well.

According to professor Yamashita, Park Ji-eun, who wrote the script for the show, is one of the most popular screenwriters in South Korea and her works have attracted viewers with clever storylines. Why not try and watch South Korean dramas that encompass a variety of elements?

(Japanese original by Hisanori Yashiro, Cultural News Department)

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I want to watch more kdramas but I keep rewatching CLOY lol.  It's like comfort food TV in these times and it's very rewatchable. 

I think the NK portion of the show may be my favourite so I can understand why Jap viewers and others may have responded to it strongly.  And CLOY is a mix of genres so it's got something for everyone.

Thanks for posting all those bts pics.  Whenever I see bts, I always think gosh there are sooooooooo many people on set working on a show.  Don't expect privacy on a set!  The people holding up the reflecting lighting boards and umbrellas have a hard job. 

What was SYJ looking at at her palm in that bts pic where she's holding the mini fan? Script notes? Or just spacing out lol. 

Swiss scenes were beautiful undoubtedly with beautiful scenery, beautiful people, beautiful weather. But emotionally as a viewer I felt they were a bit disjointed from the story.

I know they shoot out of order all the time but still to shoot the very ending of the show at the beginning of a shoot can't be the easiest. I did think they captured the couple tone and emotional reunion quite well considering they were amongst the first scenes they shot as a couple in character. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Watch: Kim Jung Hyun Gets Dressed Up In Character To Reunite With “Crash Landing On You” Co-Star Seo Ji Hye

Oct 14, 2020
by J. K

Kim Jung Hyun reunited with his “Crash Landing on You” co-star Seo Ji Hye!

The actor’s agency recently shared a vlog on YouTube in which he visited the exhibit “teamLab: LIFE” after being invited by Seo Ji Hye. Kim Jung Hyun got dressed up like his “Crash Landing on You” character Gu Seung Jun for his reunion with Seo Ji Hye, who played Seo Dan in the show. He even bumped into the drama’s director Lee Jung Hyo on the way in.

Inside, he reunited with Seo Ji Hye and their fellow co-star Yoon Ji Min. When Kim Jung Hyun and Yoon Ji Min hugged, Seo Ji Hye joked, “Don’t you hate each other in the drama?” so Yoon Ji Min jokingly apologized.

Kim Jung Hyun bowed to Seo Ji Hye and thanked her for inviting him. He then turned to the camera and explained, “This outfit I’m wearing today is the one that I wore when I winked in the drama.” He made Seo Ji Hye laugh when he said that he’d brought another outfit to change into. He also shared that he’d almost brought a cello case, but he thought it might distract from the exhibit.

The actor then appeared to be posing for someone taking his photo off camera, and Seo Ji Hye said, “There are so many fans who’ve waited for Gu Seung Jun.” Kim Jung Hyun joked, “Gu Seung Jun is still living.”

The pair joked about how she was going to be showing him the exhibit, and Kim Jung Hyun said, “I heard you’ve got a big business going in South Korea.” Seo Ji Hye laughed and said, “Dan’s family failed in North Korea so they moved to the South.”

During their trip around the exhibit, Seo Ji Hye also teased Kim Jung Hyun over the cheating character he played in her drama “Dinner Mate” when he made a cameo. She said to the camera, “Please give lots of love and support to Kim Jung Hyun!” and he said the same about her and thanked her for inviting him.

Watch them explore the exhibit together in the video below, with English subtitles!

• Like 1

Yet another IMMENSELY satisfying news!! CLOY truly paved the way for Kdramas worldwide and won over many 1st time Kdrama audience. Previously there were naysayers here at the CLOY thread that kept denying the worldwide impact of CLOY, but again and again, news keep coming out to show how IMPACTFUL CLOY has been and still is (this is 3rd quarter Netflix earnings, and CLOY finished airing in Q1). Take a BOW CLOY and esp writer Park Ji-Eun, Dir Lee, Binjin and all the cast and crew!!

Yet another great news about CLOY's success!!

I love this latest Naver news about CLOY's success so much, so decided to translate it again using Papago (which is the most accurate korean-english translator that I've encountered so far). There's some info that was missing or not as clearly translated from the 1st translation which I bolded below :

1) About the hot chemistry of HB and SYJ beyond melodrama

2) That a fan meeting at Tokyo Dome is possible

NOTE: Tokyo Dome is the biggest and most prestigious event hall in Japan, and only the biggest stars have events and fan meetings there. Bae Yong Jun had his fan meeting there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Dome

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000269080

The Yoon Seri coat that Hollywood follows...The "Emergency Arrival of Love" syndrome continues.
Input2020.10.24. 8:01 a.m.
reporter Jang Jin-ri

0000269080_001_20201024080103456.jpg?typ
▲ Hyun Bin (left) and Son Yejin. c. kwak hye mi reporter

The drama "The Improper Landing of Love" syndrome is continuing steadily.

The tvN drama "The Crash of Love" (written by Park Ji-eun and directed by Lee Jung-hyo) has been gaining popularity among fans at home and abroad for 10 months after its end.

"Emergency Arrival of Love" is a drama about the secret romance between Yoon Se-ri (Son Ye-jin), an heir to a conglomerate who made an emergency landing in North Korea due to a paragliding accident, and Ri Jeong-hyuk ( Hyun Bin), a North Korean military officer who hides and protects him. The romance reunion between Son Ye-jin and Hyun-bin, who confronted negotiators and hostage-takers in the "negotiation" but also became the main characters of the romance rumor with a "hot" chemistry beyond melodrama, also drew attention.

It was aired from December last year to February this year and received explosive love from viewers. In particular, the last episode, which depicts the reunion of Yoon Se-ri and Lee Jung-hyuk, recorded 21.683 percent based on the pay-per-view platform of Nielsen Korea, the highest ratings ever on tvN.

In particular, it was released on Netflix and gained explosive popularity overseas. In Japan, the center of the Korean Wave, it is so popular that it is still ranked among the top 10 most viewed content 10 months after its end. In particular, in Japan, each program has even created a special section for "Urgent Landing of Love" until now.

0000269080_002_20201024080103510.jpg?typ
The poster for'Urgent Landing of Love'. Offered | CJ ENM

NHK's morning information program "Asaiqi" also released a story on Oct. 5 about Japanese fans' earnest wish to be "Hyun Bin's housekeeper." "There are many women who are in love with Hyun Bin, a hot man who tries to protect his beloved woman.There are a lot of women who have become fans of Hyun Bin through this drama.

In particular, Hyun Bin is said to have once again ignited the Korean Wave in Japan after "Winter Sonata." "If it weren't for Corona 19, Japan would have been turned upside down because of Hyun Bin," a Japanese management official told Sportv News. "Some Japanese officials even say that a fan meeting at the Tokyo Dome is possible. "It is true that the Korean Wave has slowed down due to K-pop, but the Korean Wave is gradually becoming stronger due to the'emergency landing of love '

Spoiler

0000269080_003_20201024080103521.jpg?typ

▲ In the play, January Jones (right), who lived along Yoon Se-ri's coat. Source | January Jones Instagram

Son Ye-jin, who showed off her colorful fashion as a chaebol heiress, has captivated Hollywood actors. Famous for "Love Actually," "X-Men: First Class" and "Mad Man," Janury Jones boasted that Botte bought a Veneta coat following Son Ye-jin, who plays Yoon Se-ri. Janury Jones recently released a photo of herself and Son Ye-jin wearing the same coat on her Instagram account, saying, "I love Yoon Se-ri and Lee Jung-hyuk." "I've never been in love like this," he said. He also posted a poster photo of "The Crash of Love."

The popularity of "The Crash of Love" is expected to continue in the future. One proof is that Netflix is maintaining its popularity in the overseas content rankings. One broadcasting official told SPOTVnews "It is encouraging that dramas continue to be popular not only in Asia but also in North America and Europe. We look forward to continuing the Korean Wave, a drama led by the two.

Jang Jin-ri, a reporter, mari@spotvnews.co.kr

Copyright C SPOTV NEWS Unauthorized Reproduction and Redistribution Prohibited

Edited by MinLyn
Please put more than 3 images (including embedded tweets) in spoiler tags. Thanks.
  • Awesome 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still out there following this thread, I have a question  concerning the end of CLOY -

Over the Christmas holiday I binge watched CLOY again and got into a discussion about how long YSR & RJH waited for each other, before finally re-uniting in Switzerland. ( I'm referring to the piano recital, and picnic ending )

The only points I could pull out of the last episode make it that it had to be at least be 4-5+ years

- the scene immediately following the para-gliding reunion, is Dan's Mother talking with the fortune teller which states that Dan lost her only love 3 years prior, so I place YSR & RJH's first meeting at roughly the 3 year mark.

- A few scenes following the fortune teller scene, YSR is meeting with her employees and tells them she's leaving for a 2 week vacation and doesn't want to be called.  While no dates are mentioned Mr Hong talks as if these trips are now a regular occurrence - so is that one year since the first reunion? two...three...?  

I know its trivial, but its gnawing at me ... I thought someone here had put a timeline together , but after searching 20-30 pages, my eyes are going fuzzy :blink: ... please help! 

CLOY world domination continues! 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

If anyone is still out there following this thread, I have a question  concerning the end of CLOY -

Over the Christmas holiday I binge watched CLOY again and got into a discussion about how long YSR & RJH waited for each other, before finally re-uniting in Switzerland. ( I'm referring to the piano recital, and picnic ending )

The only points I could pull out of the last episode make it that it had to be at least be 4-5+ years

- the scene immediately following the para-gliding reunion, is Dan's Mother talking with the fortune teller which states that Dan lost her only love 3 years prior, so I place YSR & RJH's first meeting at roughly the 3 year mark.

- A few scenes following the fortune teller scene, YSR is meeting with her employees and tells them she's leaving for a 2 week vacation and doesn't want to be called.  While no dates are mentioned Mr Hong talks as if these trips are now a regular occurrence - so is that one year since the first reunion? two...three...?  

I know its trivial, but its gnawing at me ... I thought someone here had put a timeline together , but after searching 20-30 pages, my eyes are going fuzzy :blink: ... please help! 

I believe that time line is correct. Seri started going to Switzerland a year after Capt Ri went back to NK (after he told her so through his pre-made text msgs.) She failed to see him the 1st and 2nd time. Mr. Hong’s comments insinuate Seri has been going to Switzerland very often. The timeline is not very clear but it is most likely a few years after the 1st reunion since the Queen’s Group music program is an annual thing in Switzerland, assuming they meet every year prior to that holding hands scene. 

I’d like to believe the last scene in the house by the lake is another timeline indicating more permanence in their set up. In my imagination, Cap Ri settled in Switzerland on a longer basis, maybe on a music scholarship or whatever lol. The house looks settled with their photographs displayed all over the place. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 4:33 AM, MsHoon2219 said:

I’d like to believe the last scene in the house by the lake is another timeline indicating more permanence in their set up. In my imagination, Cap Ri settled in Switzerland on a longer basis, maybe on a music scholarship or whatever lol. The house looks settled with their photographs displayed all over the place. 

You have a very good point.  I had completely overlooked the new photos of them together (obviously not all taken at once) + the well settled house  - so it is probably more than than a few years since the initial reunion. 

Thanks for the reply :)

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Congratulations CJ ENM-tvN Drama <Crash Landing On You> wins  PP Special ~ VOD Award for 2021 Cable TV Broadcasting Award.   Well done CLOY team!

The award ceremony was held this afternoon 3pm KST at Conrad Hotel Yeouido Seoul with online live streaming.  

<Crash Landing On You>

▲ 2020 Cable TV Broadcasting Award - Global VOD Award

2021 Cable TV Broadcasting Award - PP Special VOD Award

F2-A7-EA02-B64-D-43-AD-8039-9-C66101-B4-

932-AA748-8232-41-ED-B038-9-FC46-B2-F84-

2020 Cable TV Broadcasting Award - Global VOD Award

Spoiler

358-CF2-DA-85-E0-4-B01-AAAA-2641578-EBE7

https://n.news.naver.com/mnews/article/277/0004982977?sid=105

Spoiler

1883-C08-C-950-B-4627-968-B-FF34-D8-AAD8

4-E90506-D-42-D7-4155-A8-C0-BCDC4-CD1-E4