[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

I know I m not supposed to write consecutive posts but can't help it.. Just want to rant some more. Only then I will get some peaceful sleep...

It makes me feel more awfull thinking that if we are finding it so hard to digest then imagine the reaction of the entire CLOY team ..:tears:.. How bad they must feel..Those NK sets, VFX used to create the NK relics and small small details. And not to forget 6 months of gruelling shoot fighting the cold winter. Baeksang I will not let this slide .

So I don't have the right to say anything against the winners cause I haven't watched those series yet and I m no critic.And people genuinely seem to praise them. So no comments on those. 

But atleast I can differentiate between  a masterpiece and a mediocre piece. As I have watched some of the high profile Baeksang winning dramas..allow me to share my thoughts on those.

WARNING: I m putting it under spoilers so that none of you get offended if your faves feature here. Just my thoughts.. may sound harsh so better not take a peek. Finally ..Don't take it personally..I just need to vent out my frustration.

Spoiler

Hmmm..So 2014.. Baeksang Daesang went to JJH for MLFTS. She was good ..created many fashion trends.. Her comedy was amazing but.... no emotional connection.. my eyes were dry and just couldn't wait for it to finish once all the light hearted moments in the drama were over.

On the other hand ..Melo queen..SYJ..she was a full package delivering stunningly in every existing department.. Jurors what do you need more.:angry:..

#BaeksangIdonttrustyouanymore

Coming back to 2016.. Baeksang Daesang to DOTS.. Reason: Great cultural impact, pan-asia hit and arouse nationalism. I believe Signal should have got it instead.

Isn't CLOY more or less doing the same. DOTS arouse the patriotic feeling within SK whereas CLOY provided a subtle insight into the korean peninsula for the entire world to see and empathise with their pain.It is not only hit in Asia but around the world with articles coming left and right. I watched a video today which said 68 pc youngsters still believe in unification. I don't think it is due to CLOY. But this issue is also a type of nationalism.

My opinion on DOTS: Overpatriotic.. Dozens of such products are found in my country's industry.

Cheesiest romance ever witnessed... Both start flirting from the first episode itself:lol:..Kind of double love at first sight and dead fish kisses with some wooden acting.

.Lamest plot twist ..-lol!! You are infected with a highly contagious deadly virus and lo!! the cure is found within few days. And here we are still uncertain of this Corona.

However the second leads kind of saved it for me.

Let us focus on 2018: Baeksang Daesang.. Won by writer KES of Goblin.She wrote DOTS as well. So how can I have high expectations from her. But....Goblin was better than DOTs in many ways..Apart from the main OTP the plot of secondary actors were fully fleshed with good music to accompany.The supporting casts were awesome. ML was good too. My problem is with the story which started with a bang and then went on in continuous loops with many plotholes. I had so many questions but no one could ever answer those. The reason is simple!! Cause they were a genuine plotholes .Goblin started dragging in the middle half and I lost interest. I guess such mythical tales about goblins and grim reaper s must not be  unique in korea.

Coming back to PJE..She created a fantastical story but with so many limitations to give it a realistic touch unlike KES who had full liberty to experiment with everything..PJE created a world never seen before..and painstakingly took more than  10 years to build it.

PS:: These were just my views..I know many of you are fond of these shows..But don't take any offence. I may complain here but in reality they won however CLOY didn't.Nothing can change this fact...And I find it so unfair cause if these shows deserve to be awarded then CLOY should be the frontrunner .But look at the reality ..sigh!!..:tears:

Hence.. Baeksang you did dirty CLOY ..I just want more international praise so that you can question yourself whether you did right or wrong with CLOY by not giving it recognition. Due to some of the mentioned reasons  above I was skeptical of your judgement. But atleast you gave some awards to incredible performances as well which outweighed some of your bad decisions. Now I won't ever believe you... 

Mods if this seems offensive..just delete it .. Hope you understand..We are hurt..

Again I agree with the NK thing.. and that's why they avoided it.. Sigh!! But you shouldn't have toyed with our hearts giving so much hope in tge first place...

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, eLizza said:

It is not that they have problem with series that got anything to do with NK. Ashfall is a movie which was also criticised by NK along with CLOY. But its perspective towards NK was opposite to  that of CLOY and it was a disaster movie. LBH from Ashfall beat the actor of Parasite in the recently concluded Grand Bell awards..also called korean oscars. I may get flocked for it but it is just my personal opinion that SK likes to glorify itself too much. Hence no problem with Ashfall but certainly with CLOY. Thats why it may tend to neglect the humanizing part of nk civilians and mistake it as being romanticised. It is just my observation though and I can't generalise all the skoreans for it. Cause there are many devastated CLOYfans within sk itself.I believe art has no boundaries...

I repeat none of the nominees could cater to the taste of such a diverse audience as CLOY did.

As far as I know it won't be eligible for  Emmys as it needs to air in  one of the tv networks of US. Not sure though if they include Netflix or not. But if CLOY manages to garner an international award, it will be good to look at the face of naysayers.

On point with your observation re: SK glorification. Their sense of nationalism is very high, probably why they can’t really appreciate the beauty and edge of CLOY from an international audience’s perspective. The world has always been curious about world’s most isolated society and seeing it in a new light through a very addictive, heartwarming well-crafted rom-com is revolutionary. If watching it didn’t make you wish and scream for reunification every 5 dang minutes then I don’t know what is. To the world, the show is phenomenal, but probably to South Koreans, the show brought more positive spotlight on its enemy rather than on their own country so it’s quite understandable. Sigh...quoting Seri during one of her farewell conversations with the ducklings in Seoul, “I wish the world will become a beautiful place...” 

As for Emmy’s, there’s a slight chance as CLOY is a Netflix produced series but I believe there is an International Emmy’s award as well which will probably give them better chances of getting nominations and hopefully much

deserving wins.

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Another silent reader.  It is a shame.  But it makes sense politically to avoid dealing with an unpredictable tyrant because the SK government would be blamed for allowing the drama to be praised and trouble could happen.

This reminds me of an article I read just yesterday on the BBC about Kim Yo-Jong's (sister of Kim Jong Un) very caustic over-the-top reaction to balloons being sent over the NK border apparently by NK defectors:

source:  South Korean balloons: Plans to stop people sending cross-border messages

This is just an example and it has nothing really to do with the drama (aside from it being about things flying over the DMZ) but it does speak to the extremism of the NK leadership.  We cannot begin to imagine the deep levels of distrust and the hate that is preached there.

One of the "problems" of this drama seems to be that it was so accurate in depicting the poor lives of those in NK.  And, worse, the "ease" with which the male lead seems to overcome the borders.  This would probably be seen as very subversive.

I posted this before but it is enlightening about how one NK defector sees CLOY as accurate:

It would have been wonderful if CLOY had been recognized at awards ceremonies but the fact that it was not speaks volumes about the potential ramifications politically between the North and the South.

Yes, very true with your observations. It’s sad that some critics just saw it as a mere ‘romanticization’  of NK rather than humanizing its people. And the show is more than just about NK, the show is phenomenal for many reasons a lot of us have been pointing out here and everywhere. CLOY is truly a masterpiece. PERIOD. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 5

@eLizza I couldn't put it as nicely as you did! I COMPLETELY agree with you. I watched those dramas that you mentioned and I enjoyed them but they never compare to CLOY slightest bit when it comes to being worthy of daesang (my thoughts, people may disagree ofc). I also watched tons of healing dramas and I totally understand why Koreans like them so much because Korean audience have stressful daily lives and these dramas could make them both connect and disconnect with reality. However there are many out there, only difference might be the performance of the actors which was awarded today as we see. I genuinely congratulate the winner. However CLOY is unique.. Despite the stellar performances from the actors and actresses, the drama does neither depend on it nor distinguishes amongst others because of it. The story is unique with no plotholes, no dragging or exagrating, plus it cannot be classified simply as a rom-com because it turns melo as well. It brings all the real emotions like longing, loving, caring, as well as happiness and sadness in the most honest way ever. Thats why the effort of CLOY team should have been acknowledged by giving them at least the best screenplay 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MsHoon2219 said:

And the show is more than just about NK, the show is phenomenal for many reasons

Thanks.  It is a colossal story and well-presented.  If it were not, then it would have been ignored as regards the political sphere.

I found it particularly striking that Kwangachi says in his video that NKoreans are much more brainwashed than we in the West can imagine.  In that sense, even Kim Jong Un must necessarily be prey to his own delusions about SK.  It is sad that the drama is touched by this politically (and thus with a lack of awards) but it is also a testament to how well the drama shows some of the realities of NK.

6 hours ago, eLizza said:

Exactly...I can't just express how sad I felt the moment the last award was announced.I was a crying mess. It hurt so much.. As I already kept low expectations I would've accepted  HB-YJ not getting awards as they already won the hearts of the fans. But as a whole ,CLOY should have won best drama or best screenplay atleast.. I m neither bashing other awarded dramas  nor claiming that they were undeserving. It is just that CLOY was deserving too. Just like those dramas managed to get multiple major awards ,CLOY should have got one too. I have lost faith in award shows in my home country and for me it seems it will happen with k-ent as well .

So good by Tiktok , vlive.. first time watched an award show without understanding a thing. Never gonna try again.. I lost my trust.

CLOY got really robbed. First Baeksang gave it so many nominations, used it for popularity only to let us down and made a fool of us. I guess the nk scene really hindered its success. Cause if Alien drama or Goblin drama or even some other military styled drama could get Daesang,then why not CLOY.It excelled in romantic genre and I have never felt so great watching any other drama .

Reveal hidden contents

I have watched DOTS,MLFTS, Goblin but didn't like any of those . CLOY is the only exception for me and definitely deserves better.

What we can do now is just console each other and share some support. It is so ironic that the story which was all about korea and its koreanness didn't get recognised in its home turf but became a frenzy internationally. A single award won't change its fate. You won millions of hearts. Well done.:thumbsup:

I doubt if any of the other dramas will appeal to such a wide spectrum of audience from various age groups to across all genders. That's why CLOY is what it is. It is not the only drama out there on Netflix.. And many newcomers liked CLOY first without knowing who SYJ-HB were before. That alone says all about CLOY power.

:bawling: the disappointment feels raw still. Me too I tried watching all those other shows and while they were maybe good in their own right, I feel robbed that CLOY which I thought was more elite did not share a similar recognition at the awards show. The appeal of the show to me was that it’s so realistic (minus the paragliding stuff), the feels were so real. Ugh pain. But I suppose this should not undermine the special value this show holds not only to us but to SYJ, HB, the director, writer, all other cast and crew. They really opened up the door of Kdrama to the rest of the world especially during such difficult times of covid.

Also I can’t even with people who says tonight proves CLOY as overrated, they are just jealous that the show received so much positive attention.

I agree, the forum here is like a support system now, feel better after sharing our thoughts and to know that we are not alone in this. It’s okay to be sad about it today, I am sure we will make peace with it one day (I think lol hopefully). Hugs sisters!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Thanks everyone, would there be a way to send the whole CLOY team  our congratulations for putting up a good fight and they are the best. I guess as long as it is in the top 10 series of Netflix in different countries prove they did a great job, they got recognition internationally. Even though my heart hurts and hope this will go away soon. I’ll just watch it again which is I’m planning to. :D

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I genuinely appreciate this year's winners cause it was a well fought battle. All of them deserved it. I m not being salty over them winning but it is just that CLOY should have won atleast one major award too. 

With all the comforting words coming out from every where ....I feel myself somewhat at peace now. After the clouds of disappointment have subsided a bit.. I realised  that CLOY team has got the highest number of the Baeksang trophy .The other drama got 4 but HB,SYJ ,SJH and KSY each of them also got one big trophy irrespective of their winning categories.. So yeah CLOY didn't return empty handed. And as for recognition... isn't it made for the audience..People love it, recognise it and respect their hardwork.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Ah I really wish I can see a group photo of the CLOY team together. There wasn’t much interaction between the actors, actresses and the director yesterday due to social distancing. I feel much better reading everyone’s thoughts here as well. The CLOY team from the beginning has always stayed humble and was even surprised at the drama’s international success, so I think they attended Baeksang with a very humble mind as well.

To be recognized internationally not only by fans but also by so many global sites is already such a huge achievement for CLOY and I’m forever thankful that we get to see and enjoy this masterpiece in our lifetime, CLOY will forever have a special place in my heart. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I read the comments on this Reddit discussion and I agree, this needs to be shared everywhere. To the CLOY cast and crew, you are all well-loved and appreciated. Thank you for bringing brightness into our lives in these dark trying times. <3

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

@eLizza I agree, I literally cried after announcing the best drama, I was rooting for CLOY of course, so in my heart I was screaming it’ll be SYJ or CLOY for Daesang :cold_sweat: I thought I wasn’t affected thinking, it’s K-ent anyways but for us non K-ent, it’s  a different story and we fought for it.

@ncly indeed, humble. CLOY is a masterpiece and they put back the HALYU wave all over the world. 

I know we can get all over this. 

• Like 4

Pyo chi soo deserved to be nominated as best supporting actor. But i was surprised cheol gang  was not nominated.

Cloy hit the globe by storm, i think thats enough proof that Cloy is deserving of award. Many expressed that Cloy is just overrated but i disagree. It wont gain such recognition and reception all around the world if it is not that good. Did any of the other dramas nominated impacted the world like Cloy? I dont think so. It is unthinkable that Cloy didnt get any major award. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

I have been wanting to thank staff, the writer and the director for their hardwork. I tried searching on how to get in touch with them at the very least because I feel obliged to console them and say ‘don’t worry we got you’ and for us it’s a masterpiece. I hope they are lurking here as well so they can feel how much we loved them and their creation, we can cheer them up though by giving positive reviews and recommendations on IMDB, google review etc. :rolleyes:

I’ve read the appreciation post on CLOY, will re-share it once I get permission.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

hello guys, i’ve been mostly silently lurking here and binjin thread but i was so dissappointed cloy didnt get any major award that i have to ask, do the baeksang judges have to watch the entire nominated dramas to pick the winner? or do they just watch a few clips? it feels like they didn’t watch the entire dramas because cloy is just the best drama ever imho. 

• Like 1

To say CLOY has been robbed of awards is incorrect.  They were nominated under several categories and at least they won a total of 4 awards:

Best New Supporting Actress; 

Best Icon Award;

Best Actress Popularity Award

Best Actor Popularity Award

Be consoled  and be fair that it is way impossible to sweep all the awards under CLOY, all the judges will be bruisedly bashed by Netizens and other fans.  If  some CLOY fans are still sore about it, then lodge an official complaint directly to Baeksan Group otherwise there is endless grouses.

Just remember :   "One man's meat is another man's poison"  no one can agree & think alike that CLOY's team is only the best in South Korea and accept the reality that you win some & lose some but cannot win all.

• Unamused 4

4 hours ago, forumsoomp said:

To say CLOY has been robbed of awards is incorrect.  They were nominated under several categories and at least they won a total of 4 awards:

Best Icon Award;

Be consoled  and be fair that it is way impossible to sweep all the awards under CLOY, all the judges will be bruisedly bashed by Netizens and other fans.  If  some CLOY fans are still sore about it, then lodge an official complaint directly to Baeksan Group otherwise there is endless grouses.

Just remember :   "One man's meat is another man's poison"  no one can agree & think alike that CLOY's team is only the best in South Korea and accept the reality that you win some & lose some but cannot win all.

Well in this forum we are not bashing other winning dramas of this year cause they were truly deserving.. but just disappointed that CLOY SHOULD have got ATLEAST one major award. Not a single person here said that CLOY should sweep all the awards. FYI ,this is a CLOY thread ..so what do you expect..That we will all go ga -ga over other winners with all praises and say that CLOY was overrated just like many haters are doing now...We will surely applaud the winners but at appropriate places. This is not related to CLOY only..even Parasite which won the best screenplay at the Oscars lost to a comedy.. So yess I will rant but only in this forum as I don't want to be disrespectful.

I think you are at the wrong place. If you don't agree with our views just choose to ignore it... And it is not the first time..that you are meddling unnecessarily or trying to police people. I have seen ur posts in some other threads as well but let it slide cause it was none of my business.

But with your accusations that we are totally blind and think that only CLOY is the best team made me speak up.

Out of those 4 awards only one was properly given by Baeksang for CLOY..

Others were a gift from fans all over the world or from a fashion team.

I already said in my previous post that atleast we have 4 trophies..and thus no need for you to remind us again.

• Confused 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

The “56th Baeksang Arts Awards” Judges Share How They Came To Select These 5 Winners

On June 5, 2020, the prestigious 56th Baeksang Arts Awards held its no-audience ceremony — celebrating another successful year of Korean movies and dramas. The greatest hits from April 2019 to April 2020 took home the well-deserved trophies. In case you’re curious though, here are the details on how the Baeksang Arts Awards judges selected some of the winners.

1. Daesang (Grand Prize)

While the daesang candidates have not been revealed prior to the ceremony, the judges discussed the possibilities among When The Camellia BloomsMister Trot, and actress Kim Hee Ae from The World of The Married. When the actual voting process began, however, the judges in general showed a strong inclination toward When The Camellia Blooms. They commented, “Television nowadays must provide the viewers with both entertainment and social insight. When The Camellia Blooms did exactly that.” According to the judges, When The Camellia Blooms taught the viewers that the average citizens can come together and make big changes — which is certainly the most appropriate message that the society needs at the moment. The judges thought highly of the fact that When The Camellia Blooms emphasized “We’re all protagonists in our own ways” and thus, inspired them to throne it the Baeksang grand prize.

2. Best Actor

The judges shared that the votes remained split between actor Kang Ha Neul of When The Camellia Blooms and acter Namkoong Min of Hot Stove League until the final round. Ultimately, Kang Ha Neul had the honor of winning Best Actor — for his most believable portrayal of the character Hwang Yong Shik. The judges believed Kang Ha Neul boasted an excellent spectrum of emotions on the show, which is rare from the relatively young group of actors in their 30s.

3. Best Supporting Actor

Actor Oh Jung Se of both When The Camellia Blooms and Stove League won Best Supporting Actor with an unanimous vote from the judges. They commented, “Oh Jung Se successfully played two entirely different characters in his hit dramas — all the while making the viewers believe they are completely separate people. His ability to do this is simply irreplaceable.

4. Best Actress
The competition for the Best Actress award had been the fiercest yet. According to the judges, The World of The Married‘s Kim Hee Ae went head to head against When The Camellia Blooms‘s Gong Hyo Jin and Hyena‘s Kim Hye Soo. Eventually the judges came to agree that Kim Hee Ae’s deep understanding of — and the multi-dimensional portrayal of — the shattered-and-miserable Dr. Ji Sun Woo deserved to be awarded

5. Best New Actress

Actress Kim Da Mi happily took home this once-in-a-lifetime award — for her funky-fresh character in the webtoon-based K-Drama Itaewon Class. Judges commented that she and Hospital Playlist actress Jeon Mi Do had the judges bouncing back and forth until the very last minute. They revealed, “It was a really close call. Jeon Mi Do actually lost by a single vote.” In the end, Kim Da Mi’s rising and trendsetting presence in the K-Drama world deemed her more worthy of the super rookie title.

https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/56th-baeksang-arts-awards-judges-share-select-5-winners-details/?fbclid=IwAR085-rsFAL2BfWRyciUR2Eur_D7fjPknyThImheMxg5E7EmS4o8SL6BXsw

• Unamused 1
  • Confused 1

I seriously don't understand what do you want to prove @forumsoomp..We have seen that article and I already told you we were not upset over other winners....Just to prove your point you don't need to go to ur neighbors house and instruct them what to do and what not..lol!! Can't you understand that you are supposed to IGNORE if you don't agree with us.You can go to other drama threads if you want to brag anything..

I would also like to know why Parasite didn't get the best screenplay despite bagging an Oscar for it. will have to ask Baeksang about that..or who knows maybe you can give me an answer.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 11:01 AM, forumsoomp said:

Best Icon Award;

@forumsoomp no one has said any of what you were saying in the quote. You sound like you are scolding for nothing. I will stick to what I said that it is unthinkable that CLOY didnt win even just one major award. I wonder why you are saying things that are uncalled for. Again, no one here said any of what youre talking about.

Also whats with the article that looks like youre trying to educate us how winners were selected? What are you really up to? 

Maybe you're mistaken. Perhaps it would be better if you try in a different thread where your advises will sound befitting.

i agree with you @eLizza.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2