[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

Hi guys! I’ve been a SYJ fan since 2010 and am so happy that so many people appreciate her now. She’s had runaway success in Film but her TV work hasn’t matched her film success until CLOY.

I first saw Hyun Bin in Worlds Within with Song Hye Kyo (not one of his famous ones) and i really like him there. Both their acting and chemistry was was really good.

When I both found out that HB and SYJ would star in CLOY, my heart was so happy cause my favorite actors in korea were finally doing a TV project together. 

Regarding Baeksang Awards, I’ve studied it and looked at the trends. I don’t think Kim Hee Ae will win Daesang as someone previously mentioned.

What I learned about Baeksang:

1) They distribute awards (As you guys know) and it’s uncommon for a show to win a lot in major categories. Take last year for example, Sky Castle won 4/9 awards (mostly for acting) which is considered a lot but it didn’t bag the daesang or best drama (despite it being the highest rated show ever in cable at the time). Mr sunshine also had 9 noms but only took home 1 award. 

2) No one has ever won the DAESANG without the show being nominated for BEST DRAMA (unless the winner was from a variety show). You guys can look it up. All the actors and actresses  (and even the writer) who won the daesang belonged to shows whose work was nom for best drama. This is precisely why I’m convinced Kim Hee Ae won’t win Daesang. The world of the married only garnered 4 nominations this year and best drama wasn’t included. 

3) They don’t use ratings as the standard for handing out awards. Take Goblin and DOTS for example- both were international hits, revived hallyu, multiple noms in Baeksang including for acting but Goblin only won 2 awards while DOTS won 1-2 (not including the popularity award). Sky Castle despite it being the highest rated cable  TV show at the time didn’t bag best drama. So it’s not about ratings for these judges. Take note however that both Goblin and DOTS won the Daesang (so we have a good chance).

My predictions:

Recap: Most nominations is When Camelia Blooms followed by CLOY

DAESANG: 

1) CLOY: Park Ji Eun (writer) 

I actually think she has a good chance of winning this. For Goblin, it was also the writer who won. As you guys noticed, in as much as the entire cast was stellar, the writing was heavily praised. The screenplay was so well done she made us all fall in love with side characters as well. Critics said it was the best depiction of NK that SK has made because it made NK relatable. Interest in NK was also one of the reasons people were drawn to the show. Park Ji Eun also was given a “Person of the Year” award recently by one of the govt agencies.

2) CLOY: Son Ye Jin

Okay so I really want her to win Daesang. She has never won a daesang in Baeksang and I think it’s about time they give this woman what she deserves. It’s just that the competition is so tough this year. Since they like distributing awards, I’m hoping they give SYJ Daesang while Kim Hee Ae Best Actress. 

-Kim Hye Ja (best and most respected actress of Korea... she’s old already): 4 Daesangs, her latest being last year

-Kim Hee Ae: 2 Daesangs. it will be corny if she gets the daesang again this year tbh.

-Jun Ji Hyun: 1 Daesang (My Love From The Stars)

Even Jun Ji Hyun has 1 and I personally think SYJs character has more depth than Jun Ji Hyun’s fro my love from the stars or even Kim Hee Ae’s. As Yoon Seri, there was so much versatility. She had to make us laugh, make us cry, break our hearts and even gave a bit of action. There was a little bit of everything in Yoon Seri. 

BEST ACTRESS

- Since this is the most competitive category this year, I really hope they distribute the awards. haha. Kim Hee Ae for Best Actress and SYJ for Daesang please.

-To be honest though, this is such a hard one to predict. It’s like all the veteran multi-awarded actresses of Korea (apart from IU) decided to release shows in the same award season. Hahahaha. I’ve never seen a category this stacked in awhile. 

a) Kim Hee Ae (TV): 54 years old

- She’s had a prolific career in TV and is known as one of the best TV actresses of Korea. She was the heart of TWOTM. What’s amazing about her is that she’s had TV hits every decade. Btw, TWOTM is the highest rated cable TV show in Korea (28%, even for non cable 28% is exceptionally high nowadays) but it didn't get as many nominations in Baeksang ( 3 acting noms and 1 for Best Director). She is very well known in Korea, not internationally. 

b) Kim Hye Soo (TV and Film): 49 years old

-One of the most awarded korean actresses and has both a successful TV and FILM career. She is indeed known as one of the most respected actresses of Korea. Like SYJ, she draws a lot of people to watch Korean movies. I don’t think she’ll win for Hyena but she’s like Son Ye Jin who gets nominated almost every year for their films and TV. Hahaha. She’s HUGE in SK but not internationally.

-Recommending Signal if you haven't seen it yet. :)

c)  Gong Hyo Jin (TV): 40 years old

- She’s really famous for her TV work  esp in Rom Coms. She’s had a string of TV hits with WTCB being the latest. I watched her there and the way she played a single mom plus her character transformation was commendable

-She’s very versatile and also multi awarded but is really more famous for her TV work. She does film too and indie stuff. What I like about her is she doesn’t stick to playing 1 type of character. In 1 interview, she even admits that she can’t keep up with the number of awards SYJ has. Haha. 

-She’s Hallyu level since she’s had a lot of hit K Drama’s 

d) Son Ye Jin (TV and Film): 38 years old

-Where do I even begin. Haha. As you guys know, SYJ does more films than TV and she is known more for her film. Like Kim Hye Soo, she’s able to draw people to watch movies and  is regarded as one of the best and most awarded actresses in Korea.

-Difference with Kim Hye Soo was that SYJ achieved Hallyu success in the early 2000s with the Classic, A moment to Remember and April Snow. Prior to CLOY, she got recognition again for SITR in Asia cause SITR was a mid level hit and was on netlfix. That’s how a number of  international fans discovered her. Of course CLOY happened, and now she’s not just known in Asia but GLOBAL from the US to Europe to South America. How amazing is that?! 

- Fun Fact: She's close to doing a 2 peat of the triple awards in SK of Baeksang, Grandbell (film) and Blue Dragon (film). She's 1 Blue Dragon award away. 

- Grand Bell: 3 (2003 Best New Actres, 2014 & 2017 Best Actress)

- Baeksang: 4 ( 2003 Best New Actress in film, 2008 & 2017 Best Actress in film, 2006 Best Actress in TV)

- Blue Dragon: 1 (2008 Best Actress)

e) Lee Ji Eun aka IU: 27 years old 

-She’s kind of like the “Taylor Swift of South Korea” in terms of popularity as a singer there because she writes and produces her own music. Her face is literally everywhere in Korea and has fans from all generations. In a group dominated music industry in Korea, she's HUGE as a soloist and has the most number of NUMBER 1 HITS in their charts beating out even the most popular groups.  Unlike BTS or Blackpink which has a western market, her main market is SK but she’s also huge in China and other asian countries.

-In general, Korean idol-actors are looked down upon because they don't act well and that's what i thought of her initial work as an actress. It changed though when I saw her in My Mister (2018). She may be a veteran in music but has only started to gain recognition as a good actress since 2018. Her success in Hotel Del Luna (2019) further increased her popularity in Asia. Now she's very in demand as both a singer and an actress which is very hard to achieve in South Korea. Usually, the singers who make it big in acting focus on their acting careers instead (ex. Suzy from Vagabond, Yoona from K2, Kwon Nara from Itaewon and Hyeri from Reply 1988). 

-For me, she carried Hotel Del luna. Her character was not your stereotypical female who follows the male lead in K-Dramas.  She was outstanding and equally deserving of a nomination. I think she’s one of the most promising actresses of the younger gen and am amazed that she has back to back nominations for best actress at Baeksang.

If I were to rank the performances in their dramas. Who I think will win Best Actress: Kim Hee Ae

1. SYJ= Kim Hee Ae
  2. IU (I was really impressed with her portrayal character)
  3. Kim Hye Soo 
  4. Gong Hyo Jin

BEST ACTOR

-I think it’s between Park Seo Jeon (Itaewon) vs Hyun Bin vs Jun Ji Hyun from Hyena (Kingdom was also nominated, so if they give it to him, it’s like acknowledging him for both roles already). Though my heart screams HYUN BIN, PSJ really gave a strong performance. I have a feeling that if SYJ wins Daesang, then they will lean to a non CLOY actor to distribute the awards. :( Hyun Bin has won a Daesang for Secret Garden btw :)

BEST DRAMA:

-If someone from CLOY wins Daesang, they definitely won’t get BEST DRAMA. That's just how it works in Baeksang. 

-I think this will go to When The Camelia Blooms because it touched on sensitive topics like being a single mom who runs a bar, social prejudice etc etc. This is why the show was huge there... so many societal issues were tackled which is uncommon in a SK drama. Last year they gave it to MY MISTER (highly recommend) which was a “life drama” and really meant a lot to so many Koreans.  So following that logic and if they give CLOY the Daesang, WTCB takes this home

BEST SCREENPLAY

-CLOY vs WTCBs but I hope they give it to Park Ji Eun of CLOY so Son Ye Jin wins Daesang. Haha. 

-Park Ji Eun is really deserving of this award because of the reasons I mentioned earlier. 

We really don’t know what will happen, though I hope they don’t just get 1-2 awards.  CLOY is really one of the best if not the best in the ROMCOM-Melodrama genre of Korean TV. It really deserves recognition. It’s the FIRST KOREAN DRAMA to be famous WORLDWIDE (not just in Asia like other Hallyu shows Goblin, Dots, Reply etc ). It literally opened the eyes of NON K DRAMA FANS and was the CATALYST for non-asians to start watching KOREAN drama. 

Last FEW HOURS of voting guys! Please vote because the popularity award is what we can only ensure. Let’s give it to them cause they deserve it. We need to see them on stage and see them give a speech!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, NYXbaby said:

Did you guys notice they way RJH holds YS's head with his right hand each time they kissed?  It's always the same position. 

Maybe that's HB's kissing style lol!! Or maybe the director asked him to do it? But I think it's HB's style.

@Cloy_eva  Thanks so much for sharing your Baeksang predictions! I still hope for CLOY, HB and SYJ to win big at Baeksang, though I keep my expectations low (but my heart is hoping for wins).  I can't wait to watch it tmrw! Really hope both HB and SYJ can make it for the event. Incl the red carpet and backstage interview hosted by Tik Tok. They both won the most votes for the Popularity voting so they will at least win one award that night. :D

Here's the VLIVE link for the Award event. For red carpet and backstage interview, need to download Tik Tok app and go to the Baeksang Official Page.

https://www.vlive.tv/video/194339

On 6/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, elizabeth said:

Missing this drama so bad that I find myself rewatching some of my favorite scenes. Btw, does anyone know the name of the background song playing in this teaser?

Yes me too! I love rewatching all the scenes via youtube. And also rewatch the whole drama to get that feel again. Not sure which song is playing on the teaser background. Anyone else knows?

Star-studded event at Baeksang!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@TotoroSY thanks for sharing - didn't know the app was needed!  I did see over in the BJ thread that our Seri and Captain Ri are confirmed to be there - *squeaaaaaal*!  

edit:  in the article above it said 4:50 PM KST start - I thought it was 4 PM (does anyone know?)  Also, there is a Tik Tok Popularity Award that's actually being presented? (there appears to be presenters for it) - totally thought that was a fan initiative!

Thanks @Cloy_eva for posting what you know about the Baeksang format!  That's too bad if someone from CLOY wins Daesang then CLOY can't get best drama; the writer gave us a beautiful and quality drama.

Since SYJ has won Best Actress awards before I hope she does win the Daesang for the portrayal of SR.  I would love for HB to win Best Actor and CLOY to win Best Drama; that full sweep would be phenomenal and truly a gift to worldwide fans. 

• Like 1

Reposting the links to watch Baeksang Live Streaming today 5th June'20 - below are the 2 important links and timing.

** To check your local city time, simply google "3.30pm KST in [city] time". More accurate and faster vs asking other members here.

Baeksang Red Carpet and Backstage interview at TIK TOK on 5th June 3.30pm-4.30pm KST

(you may need to register as Tik Tok member to access)

Baeksang Award Event at VLIVE on 5th June 4.00pm KST onwards

https://www.vlive.tv/video/194339

13 hours ago, blue_fleurs said:

@TotoroSY thanks for sharing - didn't know the app was needed!  I did see over in the BJ thread that our Seri and Captain Ri are confirmed to be there - *squeaaaaaal*!  

edit:  in the article above it said 4:50 PM KST start - I thought it was 4 PM (does anyone know?)  Also, there is a Tik Tok Popularity Award that's actually being presented? (there appears to be presenters for it) - totally thought that was a fan initiative!

Thanks @Cloy_eva for posting what you know about the Baeksang format!  That's too bad if someone from CLOY wins Daesang then CLOY can't get best drama; the writer gave us a beautiful and quality drama.

Since SYJ has won Best Actress awards before I hope she does win the Daesang for the portrayal of SR.  I would love for HB to win Best Actor and CLOY to win Best Drama; that full sweep would be phenomenal and truly a gift to worldwide fans. 

Hi there! I've posted the links to watch the red carpet (via Tik Tok) and Award event (via VLive, JTBC channel). Not sure if you need to register in Tik Tok to watch the red carpet, but for VLive looks like it's open to all.

I am also a bit confused on timing for the VLIVE award event which says starting at 4pm KST on the video link. But the other articles says 4.50pm KST. Maybe VLive will show some of the red carpet or interviews? Safer to just log in at 4pm and see what happens.

As for the Tik Tok Popularity vote, its actually a Baeksang award but tie-in with Tik Tok app. They seem to do that with different platforms in different years. But officially it is a Baeksang Popularity award, as voted by fans (which is fair since popularity is about the fan base).

On DAESANG, which means GRAND PRIZE, this is actually the Highest achievement in Baeksang award, and there is one for TV and one for Film. So winning Daesang is better than winning Best Drama. :D

As for full sweep, unfortunately based on past trend, Baeksang tend to distribute their awards across different TV shows. It's seldom that a drama does a clean sweep (unlike in Oscars or Emmy where it might still happen). So I am keeping my expectations pretty low on this, and just happy we will see the CLOY team together again, for HB and SYJ to walk the red carpet (hopefully together, but may be by themselves due to social distancing) and we know at least they will get the Popularity Award.

• Thanks 1

Update 1: I'm a little heartbroken that our Screenwriter didn't get the Best Screenplay award :'( I'm getting more and more anxious as the award goes by because I sincerely just want all of our CLOY nominees to win :'( 

Update 2: Aww, uri Pyo Chi Soo didn't win Best Supporting Actor as well. But that's ok! I'm just really happy to see him again with the CLOY crew team!

Update 3: Kim Sun-young won Best Supporting Actress!!!!! She's so happy she's crying while giving her speech. So so so so proud of her!!!!!!! 

Update 4: HB and YJ won the Tiktok Popularity Award and they went on stage together to receive it!

Update 5: Uri Director didn't get the Best Director award :'( Uri Director you've worked really hard!!! Please continue to be happy and bring us your smiles!

Update 6: Both HB and YJ didn't get the Best Actor and Best Actress award. I'm really hoping for either one of them to get Daesang please pleaseeeeee

Final Update: No Daesang for CLOY

I'd like to congratulate CLOY again for getting so many nominations at Baeksang this year. There's a discussion over at BinJin shipping thread that says it could be due to the political issue/tension that CLOY couldn't win many awards or even Daesang. I just thought why give it so many nominations if it can't win that many in the first place anyway due to the given political restraint. BUT that doesn't really matter, being nominated just shows how much CLOY is loved. CLOY has already won so many hearts globally, so not winning any big awards at Baeksang shouldn't let us down. 

Happy weekend everyone! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well, that's a wrap!  My heart's breaking for CLOY/SYJ/HB.  But what actually matters is how they feel!  Hope they don't get discouraged.  Acting was the best of the best and writing too, and not to mention the popularity/tourism draws (eventually) from the international community- anyway, they're winners to us - sure we all agree. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ncly said:

Update 1: I'm a little heartbroken that our Screenwriter didn't get the Best Screenplay award :'( I'm getting more and more anxious as the award goes by because I sincerely just want all of our CLOY nominees to win :'( 

Update 2: Aww, uri Pyo Chi Soo didn't win Best Supporting Actor as well. But that's ok! I'm just really happy to see him again with the CLOY crew team!

I haven't been here for a long time, was busy with life but silently lurked around. I had to comment today though. I was very expectant over the best screenplay, best actor and maybe best supporting actor (I was 50/50).. I thought they were already given but now the results are over I feel like CLOY was robbed. I understand Koreans love healing dramas but there are plenty of them out there. Although I disliked the earlier projects of Park Jieun writer-nim, CLOY was the best of her..I can even dare to say it was the best writing of last couple of years (in this romantic genre)..CLOY team as a whole worked so hard for this amazing drama under very harsh conditions and political pressures, I think the judge commitee should have at least awarded them with the best screenplay even if they didn't give the best drama award. 

CLOY also sparked so much interest to K-dramas like it was in early 2000s. Maybe Koreans don't really care about it, they maybe like realistic stories that portray daily lives....I can't help wonder why they gave daesang to My love from the stars few years back..I don't know I might be just ranting.. I just feel like they are robbed :( 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Reposting this here: 

I lost faith of CLOY winning the big awards a while ago when i saw the articles about how tense South Korea and North Korea were becoming again. I think they simply could not go there at the moment. The drama is still loved but i think the media had to play it safe here and gave them popularity awards mostly. 

Personally seeing Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin winning an award TOGETHER and it being a popularity award knowing how loved this drama is INTERNATIONALLY is more special to me. Even though the entire team deserved more awards, i'll take this one. 

Adding; This event confirmed to me what i already knew and i'm so happy. They already won when they were offered this drama together and the public already showed them what the drama meant to them. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, lavanta said:

I haven't been here for a long time, was busy with life but silently lurked around. I had to comment today though. I was very expectant over the best screenplay, best actor and maybe best supporting actor (I was 50/50).. I thought they were already given but now the results are over I feel like CLOY was robbed. I understand Koreans love healing dramas but there are plenty of them out there. Although I disliked the earlier projects of Park Jieun writer-nim, CLOY was the best of her..I can even dare to say it was the best writing of last couple of years (in this romantic genre)..CLOY team as a whole worked so hard for this amazing drama under very harsh conditions and political pressures, I think the judge commitee should have at least awarded them with the best screenplay even if they didn't give the best drama award. 

CLOY also sparked so much interest to K-dramas like it was in early 2000s. Maybe Koreans don't really care about it, they maybe like realistic stories that portray daily lives....I can't help wonder why they gave daesang to My love from the stars few years back..I don't know I might be just ranting.. I just feel like they are robbed :( 

Exactly...I can't just express how sad I felt the moment the last award was announced.I was a crying mess. It hurt so much.. As I already kept low expectations I would've accepted  HB-YJ not getting awards as they already won the hearts of the fans. But as a whole ,CLOY should have won best drama or best screenplay atleast.. I m neither bashing other awarded dramas  nor claiming that they were undeserving. It is just that CLOY was deserving too. Just like those dramas managed to get multiple major awards ,CLOY should have got one too. I have lost faith in award shows in my home country and for me it seems it will happen with k-ent as well .

So good by Tiktok , vlive.. first time watched an award show without understanding a thing. Never gonna try again.. I lost my trust.

CLOY got really robbed. First Baeksang gave it so many nominations, used it for popularity only to let us down and made a fool of us. I guess the nk scene really hindered its success. Cause if Alien drama or Goblin drama or even some other military styled drama could get Daesang,then why not CLOY.It excelled in romantic genre and I have never felt so great watching any other drama .

Spoiler

I have watched DOTS,MLFTS, Goblin but didn't like any of those . CLOY is the only exception for me and definitely deserves better.

What we can do now is just console each other and share some support. It is so ironic that the story which was all about korea and its koreanness didn't get recognised in its home turf but became a frenzy internationally. A single award won't change its fate. You won millions of hearts. Well done.:thumbsup:

I doubt if any of the other dramas will appeal to such a wide spectrum of audience from various age groups to across all genders. That's why CLOY is what it is. It is not the only drama out there on Netflix.. And many newcomers liked CLOY first without knowing who SYJ-HB were before. That alone says all about CLOY power.

• Love 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, eLizza said:

It is so ironic that the story which was all about korea and its koreanness didn't get recognised in its home turf but became a frenzy internationally.

Exactly! In my opinion it displayed the true essence of being Korean no matter which circumstances drew them apart or any other factors affected them. It should invoke proud feelings like DOTS for example because not every patriotic feelings are associated with military. It could be captured with shared culture/history and pain. And I believe CLOY depicted that feeling in the most honest form you can get from a K-drama given all the pressures from political sides. That's why it is not a simple K-drama for me who has been watching K-dramas for more than 10 years. As you said, it captured millions of hearts:heart: I am grateful to all the people who worked on and behind of this amazing project! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

41 minutes ago, eLizza said:

Exactly...I can't just express how sad I felt the moment the last award was announced.I was a crying mess. It hurt so much.. As I already kept low expectations I would've accepted  HB-YJ not getting awards as they already won the hearts of the fans. But as a whole ,CLOY should have won best drama or best screenplay atleast.. I m neither bashing other awarded dramas  nor claiming that they were undeserving. It is just that CLOY was deserving too. Just like those dramas managed to get multiple major awards ,CLOY should have got one too. I have lost faith in award shows in my home country and for me it seems it will happen with k-ent as well .

So good by Tiktok , vlive.. first time watched an award show without understanding a thing. Never gonna try again.. I lost my trust.

CLOY got really robbed. First Baeksang gave it so many nominations, used it for popularity only to let us down and made a fool of us. I guess the nk scene really hindered its success. Cause if Alien drama or Goblin drama or even some other military styled drama could get Daesang,then why not CLOY.It excelled in romantic genre and I have never felt so great watching any other drama .

Hide contents

I have watched DOTS,MLFTS, Goblin but didn't like any of those . CLOY is the only exception for me and definitely deserves better.

What we can do now is just console each other and share some support. It is so ironic that the story which was all about korea and its koreanness didn't get recognised in its home turf but became a frenzy internationally. A single award won't change its fate. You won millions of hearts. Well done.:thumbsup:

I doubt if any of the other dramas will appeal to such a wide spectrum of audience from various age groups to across all genders. That's why CLOY is what it is. It is not the only drama out there on Netflix.. And many newcomers liked CLOY first without knowing who SYJ-HB were before. That alone says all about CLOY power.

Can I just quote everything you wrote and say YES YES YES to it! I was feeling so down when the final award was announced. Yes, my expectations were low, but not that low. Because I truly believe CLOY was an award-worthy drama. We can argue about acting awards cuz that can be subjective based on preference of judges, audience etc. But for best drama, or daesang or screenplay, surely CLOY is deserving of at least one of those?? So yes, I have also lost my confidence in Baeksang, unfortunately. Call me bias, but I guess as an international viewer, I am going to stop my expectations of Korean awards in the future cuz it looks like it doesn't align to mine.... 

I've never been so disappointed before in an award show, but this time I really was. CLOY was really robbed.

P.S. Thanks for posting and expressing this. I had so many feelings but I was at a loss for words. I actually feel better after reading your post.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, eLizza said:

Agreed!!  With many of you here.  It's still SO SAD.  I never want to fall into "group think" where we all just express our similar opinions and block other viewpoints out; I don't think CLOY fans are doing that at all.  Objectively speaking the impact of CLOY is evident in itself by the sheer number of existing k-drama fans and new k-drama fans - many people who otherwise would not be interested in k-ent are now embracing it due to their encounter with CLOY.  The exposure to many countries across different continents, beyond Asia.  Isn't that type of impact credit worthy?  Wasn't that one of the reasons for DOTS' success - its ability to make a widespread cultural impact?  But until reading a couple different posts on this forum, I didn't know that CLOY wasn't perceived (in SK) the same way it is/has been on the international front - didn't know that at all.  At the end of the day, I guess I misunderstood the qualitative factors forming the assessment criteria applied to the nominated dramas.  As for the acting, for sure I feel our OTP as individual actors were snubbed, some form of recognition for their acting skills was necessary - but not given.  I'm equally disappointed with the lack of award for our director... as much as we praise CLOY's story, honestly the execution of the scenes (which I attribute to the director) was remarkable (less the direction of the kissing scenes but lets not go there again lol) - I think the feelings of disappointment will continue a while longer.  Such a long paragraph just to vent - le sigh!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Silent reader but pushed to write down my thoughts due to Baeksang results. I was hoping for CLOY Daesang if not SYJ,  but turned out nothing. I felt nervous the whole time I was watching because I was waiting for CLOY nominees to be called, but disappointed at some extent. Like what I heard  from

many, we didn’t get it here, maybe we can go internationally then :sweatingbullets: like Asian Awards? Emmy’s? Why not, they deserve it. 

Everything about CLOY was perfect. Good job to our beloved writer, director, actors and staff- all efforts are recognised outside SK to a bigger world out there. What I am more amazed about is the audience attraction, it cut through all ages which was not easy. In the end, it will always be my number 1 kdrama. The popularity awards they received represents our sentiment and it was acknowledged by our fave couple. -_-

• Like 2
  • Love 1

OMG y’all just took the words right out of my mouth. I’m feeling so bummed to be quite honest. CLOY was totally robbed. I didn’t expect much about the acting awards cause the competition was stiff but CLOY totally deserved to get the Grand Prize if not Best Drama considering its impact on Hallyu wave. THEY frikken revived it and gave it new audiences from ALL OVER the world! The glowing reviews from various and major international media, the rankings on Netflix from all over the world, the record-breaking tv ratings, the number of viewership and even how CLOY-dominated the comments were during Vlive’s broadcast, I don’t see any dramas with the same feat, not even DOTS or Goblin back in their days.

It’s really a bummer how politics could’ve played a role here. CLOY recently headlined the international news about NK being offended with some dialogue used in the series: 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8383745/amp/North-Korea-cracks-SARCASM-great-idea.html

Nonetheless, I believe CLOY deserves more. It’s a beautiful series literally in every aspect and is loved by audiences everywhere and it’s a shame Korea couldn’t give the credit it is due because Kim Jung Un is having tantrums. 

I checked out the comments on Naver and although the translations are a bit off I could tell a lot of them are also disappointed CLOY only got the popularity awards. Some even find it preposterous and are suggesting TvN should just get it’s own award giving body since the cable shows were pretty much ignored by Baeksang anyway. 

Here’s the link if you want to check it out: 

https://m.tv.naver.com/v/14148221

I’m really hoping the Emmy’s or its international counterpart will recognize CLOY’s greatness. I’ve also lost faith in the Korean awards, for a time it felt like they only used CLOY for clout. I feel stupid for staying up til 7am in the morning to watch it. I’m in the US east coast. Lol. I watched the whole red carpet thing but fell asleep during the long a$$ commercial break so I missed the part when our OTPs went up the stage for the popularity award, woke up right after it only to be disappointed cause they didn’t get any awards anyway. I’m so mad I couldn’t sleep. I should’ve just went to bed early LOL 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, MsHoon2219 said:

It’s really a bummer how politics could’ve played a role here. CLOY recently headlined the international news about NK being offended with some dialogue used in the series: 

It is not that they have problem with series that got anything to do with NK. Ashfall is a movie which was also criticised by NK along with CLOY. But its perspective towards NK was opposite to  that of CLOY and it was a disaster movie. LBH from Ashfall beat the actor of Parasite in the recently concluded Grand Bell awards..also called korean oscars. I may get flocked for it but it is just my personal opinion that SK likes to glorify itself too much. Hence no problem with Ashfall but certainly with CLOY. Thats why it may tend to neglect the humanizing part of nk civilians and mistake it as being romanticised. It is just my observation though and I can't generalise all the skoreans for it. Cause there are many devastated CLOYfans within sk itself.I believe art has no boundaries but it is SK after all where anything can be blown out of proportion...

I repeat none of the nominees could cater to the taste of such a diverse audience as CLOY did.

As far as I know it won't be eligible for  Emmys as it needs to air in  one of the tv networks of US. Not sure though if they include Netflix or not. But if CLOY manages to garner an international award, it will be good to look at the face of naysayers.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, MsHoon2219 said:

it’s a shame Korea couldn’t give the credit it is due because Kim Jung Un is having tantrums. 

Another silent reader.  It is a shame.  But it makes sense politically to avoid dealing with an unpredictable tyrant because the SK government would be blamed for allowing the drama to be praised and trouble could happen.

This reminds me of an article I read just yesterday on the BBC about Kim Yo-Jong's (sister of Kim Jong Un) very caustic over-the-top reaction to balloons being sent over the NK border apparently by NK defectors:

"Human scum - little short of wild animals who betrayed their own homeland - are engrossed in such unbecoming acts... they are sure to be called mongrel dogs as they bark in where they should not."

Ms Kim then said the "owners of the mongrel dogs" - that is, the South Korean government - should be held to account.

She threatened to scrap a no-hostility military pact, shut down the North-South liaison office, and withdraw from the joint-venture Kaesong Industrial Park.

source:  South Korean balloons: Plans to stop people sending cross-border messages

This is just an example and it has nothing really to do with the drama (aside from it being about things flying over the DMZ) but it does speak to the extremism of the NK leadership.  We cannot begin to imagine the deep levels of distrust and the hate that is preached there.

One of the "problems" of this drama seems to be that it was so accurate in depicting the poor lives of those in NK.  And, worse, the "ease" with which the male lead seems to overcome the borders.  This would probably be seen as very subversive.

I posted this before but it is enlightening about how one NK defector sees CLOY as accurate:

It would have been wonderful if CLOY had been recognized at awards ceremonies but the fact that it was not speaks volumes about the potential ramifications politically between the North and the South.

• Like 2