[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착

0ly40

Ending prediction   

210 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen to the OTP at the end of this drama?

• Sweet happy ending for Ri-ri in SK
    • Cue sad music ..the divide is just too great ..the OTP will be separated
    • An open ending where they will meet again on the bridge in Switzerland ...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/2020 at 01:37 PM

55 minutes ago, NYXbaby said:

I want to start a list of sweet things RJH and SR did for each other. I will need all the CLOY fans help as there are too many to list out. I'll list out 10 first to get things started. 

1) buying her shampoo/conditioner, candle, clothes, bra

2) roasting coffee beans and brewing a cup of coffee

3) arranging the books to spell I love you

4) bbqing meat during dinner and putting it on her plate

5) holding the candle at market when she was lost

6) buying the couples rings

7) recording the song for her to listen to to help her sleep

8) SR gave RJH the tomato plant

9) pawning her ring for the watch

10) sewing a heart on his uniform to cover the bullet hole

365 days of text messages filled with support and love after a painful separation

• Love 2

16 hours ago, veespn said:

Cloy on the Japanese TV. 

‪https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/iidaichishi/20200517-00178939/‬

Another article stating that Cloy is a phenomenon in Japan. Normally Korean dramas are popular amongst middle-aged women and housewives. But Cloy has changed the game. It attracts younger generation as well maybe due to Netflix. The journalist said that no matter how good the Korean dramas have been, it has never been like where it is now where many generations of Japanese people got addicted to it. 

Thanks for the article!! Really good to see CLOY getting attention in Japan. It's still ranked #1 on Netflix Japan, and most importantly attracting young Japanese to Kdrama vs the previous older women. I've also seen a LOT of Japanese celebrities who posted their love for CLOY on their social media account or mention it in interviews and say how they are totally addicted to it and watched it till late into the night. :D Very similar to other countries celebrity stories on CLOY!

The article also posted CLOY's trailers from Netflix Japan and it's good to see they are using the actors original voices with Japanese subtitles. Always good that the shows are watched in the original languages vs dubbed. I guess the younger generation of Japanese are much more open to watch subtitled foreign shows vs previous older generations. Plus they shouldn't miss out hearing the deep sexy baritone of HB and the sweet, cute voice of SYJ. :D

I've used auto-translate to translate the article (better than the google translate). Have kept the part about IC in there as I thot it's a good read overall to see the changes of new generation Japanese towards Kdrama :

Why the popularity of "Love's Crash" and "Itaewon Class" is groundbreaking: What are the changes in the Korean drama business in Japan?

The Korean dramas "Love's Crash Landing" and "Itaewon Class," now available exclusively on Netflix, are gaining popularity in Japan, especially among the younger generation. This is a milestone in the history of the Korean drama business in Japan. What changes are taking place?

Japanese youth are into Korean dramas, a new phenomenon

Love's Crash Landing is a story about a South Korean woman entrepreneur who gets caught in bad weather while paragliding and crash-lands in North Korea. It's a story about a woman who falls in love with a northern soldier, and there are some comical elements that make you want to throw in the towel, such as the main character running through a minefield without a care in the world to escape from the northern soldiers, and all the northern soldiers being ruined.

Itaewon Class" is based on a Korean webtoon (full-color vertical scrolling manga) (in Japan, the characters and place names are localized and distributed in Japan under the title "Roppongi Class" on Pikkoma, a manga application run by Kakao Japan). This is the story of a father who works for Korea's largest restaurant company 'Changa' and is killed in a car accident by the owner's son, but he was made to take revenge on the chairman of the Changa and his son.

Both films have been so entertaining that many celebrities in Japan have raved about them, and both have been at the top of Netflix's popularity rankings for days on end.

What's so revolutionary about this?

In Japan, Korean dramas were not popular among young people.

Conventional windows and their problems are not just a hit if they are interesting

As is well known, the first hallyu boom in Japan began with "Winter Sonata" (aired in Japan since 2003).

Korean dramas have been in business mainly for middle-aged and older women.

What's more, that window - the strategy of appearing in multiple media with a single piece of content at different times - has been fixed for a long time.

The basic strategy is to air the film on specialized channels such as KNTV (CS), then sell the DVD, start renting the DVD, and broadcast it on terrestrial TV.

In other words, fans who wanted to watch the show in Japanese as soon as possible would sign up for a pay CS channel, while those who didn't have to pay for it would watch the ones that were broadcast in Korea two or three years later and broadcasted during the day.

Most terrestrial Korean dramas are not broadcast at a time when students and adults can watch them in real time, and most of the commercials that are inserted are about health foods for middle-aged and older people.

No matter how interesting the content was, it was not an environment where young Japanese people would naturally want to watch it.

With the advent of Netflix and Abema, the tide has turned.

I once interviewed a producer of a channel that distributes Korean content called "Hallyu and Hallyu Channel" and "K World" on ABEMA (formerly AbemaTV), a video distribution service operated by CyberAgent.

On Abema, Korean dramas such as "Ayashii Partner" attract many users in their teens and 20s who are younger than middle-aged women, but the Korean TV station people look at the data of Abema's viewing demographics and ask, "Are there so many young people watching? He said that he was surprised to hear that he was not able to get a chance to see the movie.

Originally, nearly 20 years after "Winter Sonata," there was a sense of crisis among those involved in Korean dramas that "the average age of Korean drama fans in Japan was rising," but it was difficult to attract new young viewers under the conventional window mentioned above.

Abema, which has a younger user base, is at the end of the traditional window and will be distributing Korean dramas to the light user base two or three years after their initial broadcast in Korea. The landscape is changing with the emergence of Netflix, which has suddenly skipped the traditional window and bought the rights to distribute simultaneously worldwide.

Even if the content is good, it is now possible to reach a wide range of people, even though it was hard to reach anyone other than specific demographics due to window problems.

Following K-POP, Korean fashion, cosmetics and food, Korean dramas are becoming one of the pop culture trends for young people in Japan.

While this is not as big a news story as the Academy Award for Best Picture for Bong Joon-no's film Parasite, it will have no small impact on the Japanese (and Asian) film industry and subcultures when viewed on a 5-10 year basis.

Love's Crash Landing is a miraculous love story that is the result of some sort of misdirection, but the impact of the film itself can't help but feel like it's going to go to unexpected places as well.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, MsHoon2219 said:

Bless you for your patience! I’m still on pages 80+ backreading. Haha. 

I believe back in feb-mar- april CLOY pretty much topped the list of the most watched TV show across asia even the middle east and it’s still in the top 10 as we speak. It’s also number 1 in Japan last I read here. What’s amazing as well is it was able to break through the US and even Europe! The other day, somebody on twitter shared an article on Naver about how the show is currently popular in Italy and France. Plus a few articles from the UK has also given it positive reviews, most prominently the BBC. Suffice to say, CLOY is conquering the world like a pandemic! This is the only virus I’d be happy to be infected. Lol

I’ve also read reviews on reddit and their sentiments towards the show are very much like ours. Everybody has a hard time moving on :lol:

Finally done backreading this thread haha! I think it actually helped in my withdrawal healing process lol. Reading back the discussions, etc. on this thread kinda helped me re-live the show in a way :) So now I've finally caught up and the funny thing that's a tinge of melancholy that I've even come to the "end"/latest page of this thread...oh my, what has CLOY done to me seriously. 

I understand the thread has significantly quietened down since the finale as people have gone back to their lives but I really appreciate having this place to be able to still talk about CLOY with like-minded people :) Not sure how it works around here but I hope this thread will still remain alive and somewhat active in the coming days...at least until we've all past the 6 months period and moved on haha.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, blue_fleurs said:

If the award shows were showing a preview clip of HB and SYJ before announcing their Best Actor and Best Actress in a drama, what clips would you guys choose?

Most outstanding acting for SYJ as SR for me would be:

- interrogation scene of eps 15 (from the moments before start of "Sunset" song to the collapse outside)

- final separation scene of eps 16 (from the breathless run, choked screams, to the hands pulling apart...)

- runner up scenes: at SJ's house after RJH comes to pick her up; in the truck as she's being kidnapped talking on the phone with RJH.

For HB as RJH:

- post SR confession and kidnapped scene of eps 8 (silence as he cries and "Photo of my Mind" song plays)

- hospital reunion and RJH confession of eps 14 (from the moments before IU's song starts to the end of the second hug..)

In these scenes I think they demonstrated their best acting.  SYJ is just the queen, she's too good, too good!

I agree with what some of you said, especially a comment a few pages ago re: character withdrawal.  I got a sense that SYJ found it very difficult to move on (her emotions on the last day of filming, her little speech about what YSR character means to her), I hope they're both doing fine - whatever we feel, they must feel it tenfold.  Though seasoned actors and professional as they are, I think that only makes it more impactful because of how committed they are to their roles.  

I love this question! Will need to rewatch again for more examples but the few at the top of my head are:

For SYJ :

- The whole DMZ border scene @ Ep16. Nothing short of phenomenal. When I was thinking about previews for Baeksang previously this scene is always in the must haves.

- The interrogation scene @ Ep15

- The breakdown she had @ Ep12 when she thought they've left SK

For HB :

- The DMZ border scene too. 

- His tearful scene @ Ep 14 when SR woke up at the hospital 

- Finding SR again at the carpark at ep  11

- Emotional confession with his dad @ Ep 9

- When SR was kidnapped at ending of Ep 8

On 2/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, blue_fleurs said:

Had an emotional tug thinking about SR's monologue while she was in a coma, when she recalled her memories with RJH and said that if she had to choose, she would choose once again to meet him all over again.... and then realizing the name of her coveted brand is... Seri's Choice.  We were given a clue all along where this was going :bawling:

@phoenixfire25 great selections and thanks for including the gifs!  I like the idea of choosing the comedic scenes too, it is a rom-com after all!

I didn't give enough thought to this scene where he stood outside as she listened to the clip - thanks for pointing it out!  RJH indeed did get a glimpse of the reason and very likely filled in the blanks himself... her mom had abandoned her and she has had to live with that growing up and had no support from her siblings.

Come to think of it, I don't think SR ever knew about RJH's brother until, honestly, the interrogation scene when he told her that was his purpose of going after CG :blink:... Even when she discovered the watch (that it made its way back to him), they didn't talk about its significance.  

I think this is clever and well thought out by the writer.  They are in their 30s when they meet.  Their story doesn't dwell on past adversities, but instead focuses on self-recovery, healing, personal development, and new discoveries.  It's very present and forward looking.  In a way, not knowing is good, so each person doesn't have to think the other is trying to "fix" them or make them "better" again, the love is there regardless.

Love this observation, which I didn't realize until you mentioned it.  It only adds to my love for their characters knowing even better now how mature their storyline and relationship development is :)

On 3/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, sharluvsenergy said:

https://www.beauty321.com/post/31451#p3

This article talks about how CLOY referenced the following movies/dramas that Hyun Bin and Son Yejin were in (separately and together).

1) Summer Scent (hair tie moment in ep 3)

2) Princess Deokhye (playing piano together in ep 9)

3) Something in the Rain (walking in the rain under the umbrella in ep 15)

4) Pirates (showing off injuries in ep 14)

5) Be With You (talking in dreams while in critical condition in ep 15)

6) Memories of the Alhambra (gaming moment in ep 12)

7) The Negotiation (having a drink in ep 12

8) Secret Garden (meeting the future mother-in-law in ep 14)

The writer really put in a lot of effort into making references to our BinJin couple's works as well as real life. ;)

So amazingly and seamlessly woven into the story too!!

On 4/28/2020 at 8:54 AM, TotoroSY said:
Spoiler

A really nice review of CLOY by a blogger.  It made me re-live the feelings I have while watching CLOY, esp for the first time. And just like the blogger, as soon as I finish the finale episode, I went right back to Ep 1 and watched it all over again. :D This person is a watching kdrama for the 1st time (so many of these new fans!)

https://responsivereaction.blogspot.com/2020/02/crash-landing-on-you-netflix-k-drama.html?m=1

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

Anyway, before I digress into a different tangent, let me start by talking about the topic and the reason for today's blog. Crash Landing on You.

I knew Korean Dramas were popular but until now I'd never watched one before. I saw the promo for 'Crash Landing on You' and kept wondering if this would be worth a watch. So last week, we (me and my husband) checked out reviews online and on IMDB and felt like we were living under a rock. Apparently the show and the actors and the characters were a sensation! With a solid 9.1/10 on IMDB and millions of fans we felt like wow, okay, this should be fun. OMG. I seriously underestimated how fun it was going to be.

To me North Korea is defined by the poverty and extreme conditions that its people live in, reminds me of all the photos from articles showcasing the starkness and the rigidity of the capital. What this series does is, it humanizes everyone. It shows depth in their lives. Showcases (with creative liberties) how even in their situation there is laughter, love, companionship, color, flair, warmth and life.

So the setup sounds amazing, obviously it's an impossible love / star crossed lovers kind of storyline (not a spoiler, the trailer kind of makes that obvious) so let me move on to the main leads in the series, Hyun Bin who plays a character called Ri Jeong Hyeok (the North Korean captain) and Son Ye-Jin who plays a character called Yoon Se-Ri (the South Korean heiress). It's so difficult to encompass what I feel about them and their performance in words. They are absolutely fantastic and are the best actors I've ever seen. Why? In one word, effortless. But slight sidetrack, I think the writer and the director deserve a standing ovation. It is their idea, their vision, and their world that is brought to life by these actors and characters, it is such a fabulous foundation. The writing is witty, emotional, endearing and very very memorable.

Coming back to the actors. Hyun Bin is just outstanding. He embodies the character he's portraying, depicts the various layers he has, and the emotions that are running through him with such slight nuances it is insane to imagine that he's not real. And that's the weird thing, the characters are obviously fictional, but they're so deep that they feel real. I was thinking about how a person (who btw has the most gorgeous dimples I've ever seen in a man!) is able to portray such depth in emotions; anger, love, happiness, pain, tenderness, sloppiness, patience, frustration, jealousy, trust, friendship, pity, desperation, panic, fear.. the list seems endless, but trust me I can pinpoint the exact emotions he portrays scene-by-scene.

While I obviously am madly in love with Hyun Bin, I have to do justice to the incredible performance by Son Ye-Jin too. Again as a character, she's extremely well written as well. I absolutely loved how she portrays the emotions so naturally. From her superb comic timing, to the tone of her voice, to how much she expresses with her eyes and posture, she really makes you root for her throughout the series.

Their chemistry together is such fascinating to watch. What strikes you as being very different is how staying true to their characters, there's actually very little physical intimacy between the two. A handful of kisses and hugs throughout the nearly 20 hours of runtime (totally) but the depth of their love is so so deep. I feel like we've totally missed this in recent times. It's so easy to go from being strangers to being in bed with someone, we've edited out the courtship, the butterflies, the fluttering. And that's what this series brings back and how. You feel their emotions, you feel their love, even though you don't understand their words, you hear it in their tone, you see it in their gestures. The two actors literally transport you into a bubble of their emotions and you can't help but just sit and smile blissfully throughout the journey. It's poetic, it's funny and oh so emotional.

Talking of humour more broadly, there's just so much humour. In the strangeness of the situation itself, but more so in the characters. Just when the pressure begins to build in one sphere, there's humour and laughter to ease it right after. I remember crying because of both happy and sad emotions depicted and like genuinely laughing, not the fake laughter because it was a slapstick joke, but because of just how genuinely hilarious it was!

Without going into too much detail, I also want to mention how fantastic the series felt technically. From the architecture / set design / interior decorations across situations (North Korean village, Pyongyang apartments, Seoul mansions and offices) to the soulful background score (available for streaming across platforms!), to the stunning depictions of the locations in which they shot, to the amazing editing that keeps the pace high for the most part (in the last couple of episodes it gets a bit slow while trying to wrap up some side stories), it's a brilliant package.

So to wrap this up, watch it, watch it for the storyline, for the characters, for the actors, but most importantly, watch it to go on a roller-coaster ride of emotions and to fall in love with love. :)

Thanks for sharing this! Out of the many reviews written, this is one that resonates with me alot - from how she started the show with zero expectations and falling into the CLOY love trap haha and her descriptions of the acting, characters and overall charm of the show ♥️

On 5/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, TotoroSY said:

Another good news - this time CLOY's writer Park Ji-Eun has been selected the "Unification Education Person of the Year" by the Ministry of Unification in Korea. How cool is that!! Hope this will add weightage to CLOY drama as we approach Baeksang awards. :D

Woahh writer-nim!! So cool and well deserved! What an impact CLOY has been indeed.

Also, thank you for your consistent updates and inputs @TotoroSY!! I think someone mentioned it before, thank you for taking the time and effort to post and share so many info and news on our beloved show! 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:43 AM, INeedAFan said:

Well, I haven’t finished/watched all those dramas. 

On this topic, I've actually started re-watching k-dramas again after my looong hiatus pre-CLOY. I guess you can call them my rebound dramas hah. But out of all I've watched..obviously nothing comes close to CLOY. I guess no matter what CLOY will always be my bias/UF but in all objectivity, I doubt there's another drama that I would find to be as well-rounded as CLOY is in terms of cast, characters, plot, humor, dialogue and production quality. That's what makes CLOY really outstanding and a classic.

The dramas I've watched to date are:

- Itaewon Class (it was an entertaining drama post-CLOY since it was more light and family/business focused. Couldn't handle a romance drama for some time after cloy lol)

- Mr Sunshine (interesting drama for background on korean history but the pace was way too slow for me..i think i only found the last few episodes enjoyable)

- MLFTS (same writer Park Ji Eun, it was interesting to see the similar themes/characteristics but definitely a far cry from her latest work. I'm so impressed at how much her writing and work has grown since)

- DOTS (first 3 episodes only, couldn't get pass that sorry)

- Vagabond (started off interesting but it started to fall apart towards the end imho. the ending was just..no)

- Signal (The one I enjoyed most from this list - mainly for its interesting/unique plot)

I have actually yet to check out HB & SYJ's past works (CLOY was their first work I've seen since my k-drama days ended way back) but I couldn't bring myself to watch their previous works yet simply because.....I can't bear to see them on screen with someone else (HAHA oh my I think i need help) I just want to retain the memories and images of them being on-screen only with each other for now lol.  Funny thing is my husband actually knew about HB more than me cause he watched/knew about Secret Garden from his younger days. 

Anyhow..if there are any really good dramas out there that would be worth watching to ease this withdrawal, would love to hear from you guys :) I'm thinking of checking out REPLY 1988 as that had a good rating and seems to be have been recommended/mentioned by some here previously. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, blue_fleurs said:

Hope everyone's doing well 2 months post-CLOY!  4 more months to go until the end of the 6 months condolences period.  I've been turning to k-movies which probably is OK for the condolences period which to me applies just to dramas :).

Coming back here since I now have a surge in friends watching CLOY and it's so interesting to hear about their initial thoughts and how they view the characters, their favourite scenes, what scenes they cried (or didn't cry) watching, and so on...  It's so hard to restrain commenting extensively with them (like doing the analysis we do here) without sounding a bit over the top!

3 months in now, we're halfway through the condolences period guys! Although deep down we know...like our OTP, we will never fully move on with another :D

I haven't shared my full review/thoughts on CLOY yet here..not sure if I should but..if i do, will definitely need to gather my thoughts to write it out..yes without sounding over the top haha.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Philippines is crazy about kdramas and Filipinos love a good rom-com with a handsome lead so it’s no surprise why it’s such a huge hit back there LOL. As for the US, I think it’s safe to assume CLOY is the most watched kdrama so far and has become a great gateway for non kdrama watchers to get into the genre. That itself is already an achievement that I hope K-ent will give them recognition for considering how hard it is to break through the western market. 2019-2020 is great year for Korea entertainment industry. From Parasite to CLOY, SK indeed has become a creative powerhouse and the world has taken notice. 

I did some digging and found these feature articles on CLOY from major UAE publications where it shows cloy was number 1 on Netflix back in Feb:

Kudos on the writer’s recognition! One of the reasons CLOY is such a marvel of a show is its impact on geopolitics! It gave viewers a different perspective on how life is in the most isolated country in the world. I don’t think it romanticizes the north in any way. Rather it humanizes its people. It makes us realize that normal people also lives there with real problems like us albeit on a worse scale in many ways. It also shows us that evil exist no matter which side of idealism you belong to. I’m amazed how this show has impressed scholars and geopolitics experts who are knowledgeable about the sensitive issue that is NK-SK unification. One example is this article: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/crash-landing-korean-drama-crosses-114332899.html

CLOY really did capture the heart of Philippines in a mega way! I can't believe my eyes when I saw all the interviews with big top celebrities and even head of a TV station, proclaiming her love for CLOY and HB lol!!  Can also see the number of Filipino fans mushrooming on Social Media, whether tweeter or FB.

As for US, I think the recent trajectory in K-pop and most recent one by Parasite helped to increase interest in Korean entertainment. Of course, without the right product like CLOY, that seems to just hit it right on the spot, it wouldn't have worked either. I do hope that CLOY will end up the most watched Kdrama in Netflix US by end of the year, or even mid-year - wonder if Netflix release mid-year data? It will be another great achievement for CLOY, to be able to penetrate the US TV audience.

Thanks for the UAE articles! WOW, CLOY was the only Kdrama in the Top 10 TV show list on Netflix UAE, and at NUMBER ONE no less!! So proud of CLOY!

CLOY's NK scenario and the NK-SK dilemma is one of its key attraction. I think the writer did an amazing job, together with her team of writers esp the NK writer, to come out with a script that is so funny, enjoyable and romantic, and yet able to impact the viewers on geopolitics and perception of NK. It was a Soft Influence and very effective!

2 hours ago, anney said:

Thanks for sharing this! Out of the many reviews written, this is one that resonates with me alot - from how she started the show with zero expectations and falling into the CLOY love trap haha and her descriptions of the acting, characters and overall charm of the show ♥️

Hi @anney  Great to see new fans of CLOY coming here to discuss and chat about the drama! This forum will remain open as long as Soompi forum is around, at least that's how I understand it LOL!! The review you quoted above was also one of my favorite! It captured the same feelings I had when I watched CLOY - I expected it to be cheesy and may even be a disaster on ratings, cuz of the initial negative comments before it even aired - didn't expect for myself to fall in love with it almost immediately LOL! When Ep 1 ended with RJH pulling YSR into his house and he just looked intensely at her under the lamp, and then the OST started ..... I was a goner hahaha!! And then that classic Epilogue of Captain Ri smiling secretly as YSR hangs on the tree with her funny walkie talkie talk..... Ep 2 was even better cuz we started to see more of the NK village, the F4 soldiers, the ahjummas, and of course the standoff between YSR and Captain Ri. It was Rom.Com at its best!! If I recall correctly, Ep 2 ended with Captain Ri walking in gallantly and proclaim YSR as his fiancee? That's when I cried, NO, I have to wait another week to find out what happens next??? I think that was probably the time I started searching for news and forums about CLOY and landed here on Soompi Forum lol!

2 hours ago, anney said:

Also, thank you for your consistent updates and inputs @TotoroSY!! I think someone mentioned it before, thank you for taking the time and effort to post and share so many info and news on our beloved show! 

You're welcome! It's been a long time since I've been so passionate about a drama or TV show. It was really fun to discuss CLOY while the episodes were airing. After the finale, this forum went on for awhile but quieten down later. So it's nice that it's active again. :D Plus, the news and accolades keeps coming in from different parts of the world, so I wanted to update this forum with the latest too.

2 hours ago, anney said:

The dramas I've watched to date are:

- Itaewon Class (it was an entertaining drama post-CLOY since it was more light and family/business focused. Couldn't handle a romance drama for some time after cloy lol)

- Mr Sunshine (interesting drama for background on korean history but the pace was way too slow for me..i think i only found the last few episodes enjoyable)

- MLFTS (same writer Park Ji Eun, it was interesting to see the similar themes/characteristics but definitely a far cry from her latest work. I'm so impressed at how much her writing and work has grown since)

- DOTS (first 3 episodes only, couldn't get pass that sorry)

- Vagabond (started off interesting but it started to fall apart towards the end imho. the ending was just..no)

- Signal (The one I enjoyed most from this list - mainly for its interesting/unique plot)

I have actually yet to check out HB & SYJ's past works (CLOY was their first work I've seen since my k-drama days ended way back) but I couldn't bring myself to watch their previous works yet simply because.....I can't bear to see them on screen with someone else (HAHA oh my I think i need help) I just want to retain the memories and images of them being on-screen only with each other for now lol.  Funny thing is my husband actually knew about HB more than me cause he watched/knew about Secret Garden from his younger days. 

Anyhow..if there are any really good dramas out there that would be worth watching to ease this withdrawal, would love to hear from you guys :) I'm thinking of checking out REPLY 1988 as that had a good rating and seems to be have been recommended/mentioned by some here previously. 

LOL!! I get what you mean by not wanting to watch other SYJ and HB dramas yet. Most of their dramas are romance comedy so if you are not ready to watch them with other romantic interest co-stars, then better not see it yet for now. But you can try catching their movies cuz not all are romance genre. The first one you should catch is the one starring HB and SYJ called The Negotiation. It was their first time working together, and cuz of that they wanted to work together again, then CLOY came along and the rest was history. Other non-romance movies I can remember top of mind :

HB - Confidential Assignment, The Swindlers

SYJ - The Last Princess, Truth Beneath

As for Kdramas recommendation :

I've watched 4 of the ones you've listed above - IC, MLFTS, Signal, DOTS (partial only, like you I couldn't get pass it, went to last ep to see ending).

- Since you like Signal which is investigative, you can try Stranger (Secret Forest).

- For romance, try Because This is My First Life and Healer,

- and if you wanna try fantasy-romance, there's Goblin.

- The Reply series is always good so do try that one too!

- And you may want to check out Sky Castle for a satire/ dark comedy genre - it's the 2nd highest rated cable TV drama but was #1 until it was overtaken by World of The Married just recently.

• Love 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, NYXbaby said:

I want to start a list of sweet things RJH and SR did for each other. I will need all the CLOY fans help as there are too many to list out. I'll list out 10 first to get things started. 

Keeping vigil outside her hospital room while she was in critical condition 

Asking for an extra copy of her passport photo

Tying her hair with his hankie

• Love 2

On 5/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, NYXbaby said:

Well the whole drama has lots of candies for which we fell in love with RiRi couple.

As you said there are many and I will list those which have not been mentioned till now.However I will add  further to this when I recall some more.

1) That epilogue in epi 15 when they were walking under the  umbrella .RJH tilted it towards her so that she doesn't get wet and the camera focussed on his shoulders which was being hit by little raindrops.

2) When SR was a bit hesitant to go alone during that boat to boat transfer. RJH looked at her and took out another phone card  to accompany her.

3) Seri telling his mom in episode 9 when RJH was confronting his dad,that she will hide and won't appear in front of RJH so that he moves on .

4) At GSJ's villa, JH didn't forcefully drag her but rather accepted her decision after wiping away her tears.

5) After telling JH to back off, SR immediately runs after him thinking that he will die in that freezing winter.

6) SR giving her shoulder to a feverish RJH in that school.

7) The Pyongyang train journey when he bought all the things she asked and even lend his shoulders after wrapping his coat around her.

8) Covering her feet properly with the blanket when she was sleeping in his house.

9) During the nk hospital when an injured JH shared his bed with her so that she won't get cold. Plus he sweetly brushed  a strand of hair off her face.

10) RJH telling SR to lead a healthy lifestyle, date other men after going to SK but she shouldn't think about disappearing in a beautiful scenery again.

11) All the comforting hugs that RJH gave to SR when she was feeling low.

12)  Seri going for extra lengths to make sure RJH gets promoted even if it meant she had to deal with those nosey ahjummas.

13) JH waiting  with his bicycle outside Young Ae's house to pick up Seri .

14) RJH's taking good care of the tomato plant.Same goes for Seri in the case of Edelweiss .Plus the 10 words from both of them were a treat.

15) During their first encounter with Dan, Seri tried to flee from the scene. JH quickly tugged her and made sure she went back safe to his house.

• Like 1

Some questions on the Baeksang Awards, hope someone can help enlighten me :)

1. Will the artists, film industry peeps, etc. be attending the ceremony live? I read somewhere that there won't be an audience due to covid19 but not sure if this is referring to live guest audience or everyone? If they are attending, it'll be so amazing to see the whole CLOY cast there!

2. I read somewhere also that normally a particular show will not win all/most the categories they're nominated in because it will be distributed between different shows? Not sure how this is like based on past year patterns..and I'm pretty new to this whole baeksang awards thing. It would be so satisfying to see CLOY take home Best Drama, Actor, Actress, Screenwriting, and Director at least but...if the above mentioned is true, I guess I should lessen my expectations? Even though they completely deserve it in all the categories haha.

3. The Daesang award can be open to any categories (show/actor/actress/etc.)? And will there be 1 respectively for both the tv & film category?

3. Is the baeksang awards the highest accolade for the film industry in SK? I know they call it the "Oscars of Korea" so..does it mean to win a Baeksang award is considered the highest form of recognition ?

Thanks in advance! Learning quite abit about K-ent these days!

21 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

Hi @anney  Great to see new fans of CLOY coming here to discuss and chat about the drama! This forum will remain open as long as Soompi forum is around, at least that's how I understand it LOL!! The review you quoted above was also one of my favorite! It captured the same feelings I had when I watched CLOY - I expected it to be cheesy and may even be a disaster on ratings, cuz of the initial negative comments before it even aired - didn't expect for myself to fall in love with it almost immediately LOL! When Ep 1 ended with RJH pulling YSR into his house and he just looked intensely at her under the lamp, and then the OST started ..... I was a goner hahaha!! And then that classic Epilogue of Captain Ri smiling secretly as YSR hangs on the tree with her funny walkie talkie talk..... Ep 2 was even better cuz we started to see more of the NK village, the F4 soldiers, the ahjummas, and of course the standoff between YSR and Captain Ri. It was Rom.Com at its best!! If I recall correctly, Ep 2 ended with Captain Ri walking in gallantly and proclaim YSR as his fiancee? That's when I cried, NO, I have to wait another week to find out what happens next??? I think that was probably the time I started searching for news and forums about CLOY and landed here on Soompi Forum lol!

You're welcome! It's been a long time since I've been so passionate about a drama or TV show. It was really fun to discuss CLOY while the episodes were airing. After the finale, this forum went on for awhile but quieten down later. So it's nice that it's active again. :D Plus, the news and accolades keeps coming in from different parts of the world, so I wanted to update this forum with the latest too.

LOL!! I get what you mean by not wanting to watch other SYJ and HB dramas yet. Most of their dramas are romance comedy so if you are not ready to watch them with other romantic interest co-stars, then better not see it yet for now. But you can try catching their movies cuz not all are romance genre. The first one you should catch is the one starring HB and SYJ called The Negotiation. It was their first time working together, and cuz of that they wanted to work together again, then CLOY came along and the rest was history. Other non-romance movies I can remember top of mind :

HB - Confidential Assignment, The Swindlers

SYJ - The Last Princess, Truth Beneath

As for Kdramas recommendation :

Reveal hidden contents

I've watched 4 of the ones you've listed above - IC, MLFTS, Signal, DOTS (partial only, like you I couldn't get pass it, went to last ep to see ending).

- Since you like Signal which is investigative, you can try Stranger (Secret Forest).

- For romance, try Because This is My First Life and Healer,

- and if you wanna try fantasy-romance, there's Goblin.

- The Reply series is always good so do try that one too!

- And you may want to check out Sky Castle for a satire/ dark comedy genre - it's the 2nd highest rated cable TV drama but was #1 until it was overtaken by World of The Married just recently.

Phew, good to know! I hope the thread will come more alive during the baeksang awards haha! And yess I think like us, many people truly didn't expect much or didn't have any expectations (like me) in starting CLOY...then, just like how the OTP fell head over heels in love, so did we with the show lol. It's been a loooong time too since I was this in love with a drama (esp korean!). My 2 favourite k-dramas back in the day was All About Eve (2000) and My Girl (2005) I was still in school back then hahaha and then k-dramas just dropped off the grid for me since..I wasn't even interested about shows like Goblin/DOTS despite the hype and nothing brought my interest back to k-dramas until well..CLOY haha. 

Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely would wanna watch The Negotiation unfortunately it's not on Netflix so gotta find it somewhere else..I just started Strangers thanks to your recommendation! Ep 1 is good enough for me so far..looks like this will be on my watch list for now. Will push REPLY 1988 to another time haha. I've been more of a crime/thriller series person for some time but deep down i do enjoy the romance/rom-com stuff...just that it's really hard to find good ones that makes me emotionally invested in the characters and doesn't make me cringe. CLOY is the golden standard that's hard to beat.

Edited by anney
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, anney said:

Some questions on the Baeksang Awards:

1. Will the artists, film industry peeps, etc. be attending the ceremony live? I read somewhere that there won't be an audience due to covid19 but not sure if this is referring to live guest audience or everyone? If they are attending, it'll be so amazing to see the whole CLOY cast there!

2. I read somewhere also that normally a particular show will not win all/most the categories they're nominated in because it will be distributed between different shows? Not sure how this is like based on past year patterns..and I'm pretty new to this whole baeksang awards thing. It would be so satisfying to see CLOY take home Best Drama, Actor, Actress, Screenwriting, and Director at least but...if the above mentioned is true, I guess I should lessen my expectations? Even though they completely deserve it in all the categories haha.

3. Is the baeksang awards the highest accolade for the film industry in SK? I know they call it the "Oscars of Korea" so..does it mean to win a Baeksang award is considered the highest form of recognition ?

Thanks in advance! Learning quite abit about K-ent these days!

Hi there! Will try to answer the best I can cuz I am also relatively new to all these Korean awards since I became more invested cuz of CLOY. :D Am actually more familiar with Oscars, Golden Globe and Emmys LOL!!

1. No audience here may refer to fans as previous years, I believe they do sell/ give out tickets to fans or general public (I notice that in previous years telecast where I see fans holding up placards to support their idols). I think for sure the nominees and the presenters, and maybe those who are presenting songs etc will be there. Not sure if ALL the cast of the dramas are invited (not familiar with that) but it could be true for Best Drama nominees. So hopefully, most of the CLOY cast will be there. At least for sure we already have a LOT of them as part of the nominees :

- Writer

- Director

- SYJ, HB (Best actress/ actor)

- Pyo Chi Soo, Seo Dan and one of the NK ahjumma (Best supporting)

Some of the CLOY cast are nominated via other TV shows or films

- The Rat actor - nominated under World of the Married (Best Supporting)

- Seo Dan's mom and uncle - nominated under Parasite movie for Best New Actor/ Actress (guess they are new in movies?)

But for those nominated under another production, they may sit with closer to their other teams (not sure, just assumption)

2. From my observation, yes, Baeksang tend to distribute the awards around.

- Of course I also think it depends on the number of high quality TV shows in the nomination list.

- For some years when one particular TV show was very outstanding above others, it will win more awards (maybe 3-4 awards). For example last year, Sky Castle won Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best New Actress (BUT not Best Drama). Another good example is 2011 (47th Baeksang) where Secret Garden swept up many major awards - Daesang (for HB), Best Drama, Best Screenplay, Best New Actress

- While googling about this, I noticed one interesting year in 2014 50th Baeksang - My Love From Another Star (same writer as CLOY) won Daesang for Jun Ji-hyun (actress) but not other major awards. The only other award is Most Popular Actor 

- This year, I think the competition between the dramas and acting categories are very very close. So....anything goes LOL!! 

(except for WOTM star Kim Hee Ae - she is gonna win either Daesang or Best Actress, I think)

3. Yes, Baeksang can be considered the highest accolade for TV Shows.

-  But for Film, there are others who are also as prestigious as Baeksang like Blue Dragon. For TV shows, other awards like Seoul Awards are probably quite highly regarded too. Some public TV stations like KBS, SBS, MBC have their own awards but only for their own dramas. Unfortunately TVN which is the cable drama for CLOY do not have their own awards.

54 minutes ago, anney said:

Phew, good to know! I hope the thread will come more alive during the baeksang awards haha! And yess I think like us, many people truly didn't expect much or didn't have any expectations (like me) in starting CLOY...then, just like how the OTP fell head over heels in love, so did we with the show lol. It's been a loooong time too since I was this in love with a drama (esp korean!). My 2 favourite k-dramas back in the day was All About Eve (2000) and My Girl (2005) I was still in school back then hahaha and then k-dramas just dropped off the grid for me since..I wasn't even interested about shows like Goblin/DOTS despite the hype and nothing brought my interest back to k-dramas until well..CLOY haha. 

Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely would wanna watch The Negotiation unfortunately it's not on Netflix so gotta find it somewhere else..I just started Strangers thanks to your recommendation! Ep 1 is good enough for me so far..looks like this will be on my watch list for now. Will push REPLY 1988 to another time haha. I've been more of a crime/thriller series person for some time but deep down i do enjoy the romance/rom-com stuff...just that it's really hard to find good ones that makes me emotionally invested in the characters and doesn't make me cringe. CLOY is the golden standard that's hard to beat.

Yes, hope this thread will become more active during Baeksang time! Actually, a lot of the CLOY fans are also shippers of HB-SYJ, so many are active at the BINJIN Shipping thread. They also tend to discuss a bit about Baeksang but not in depth like here, since that would be considered off-topic there. 

Looks like you were into Kdramas during the 1st Hallyu Wave back in early-2000. I was too. And then got into other stuff after that and just returned to Kdramaland recent years. But CLOY has hit me hard vs any other Kdramas since I first started watching again.

Glad you are enjoying Strangers! I actually watched it twice, cuz I also love crime/ thriller shows. They are actually filming Strangers 2 now. :D  I think you will like Healer, cuz it's both Rom.Com and also mystery/ thriller/ action.  You can also try HB's Memories of the Alhambra as it's mostly action with minor romance. Esp if you like gaming and role-play games. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anney said:

3. The Daesang award can be open to any categories (show/actor/actress/etc.)? And will there be 1 respectively for both the tv & film category?

1. I m not sure though but I think it will include minimal number of peeps. In the past Baeksang was attended by general audiences but this time I guess only nominees,presenters and other performers are allowed.They have booked a huge place called KINTEX hall for it so I suppose atleast nominees are allowed.

2.Yes you are right.As far as I have read they normally tend to distribute awards among most of the nominees. Although in my eyes CLOY is the best but its competitors are also fierce. So I don't think it will gonna sweep all the awards.It would be better to keep minimum expectations and who knows we may be surprised..ha !ha.!

3.Yes Daesang is open to any category. Winner is generally chosen from the nominations from various categories.Infact Variety shows along with dramas are also taken into account for TV Daesang.Movies and  TV have different Daesang.

4. I have heard it being called as The Golden Globe of Korea or sometimes The Oscars of Korea. It is the only award show which gives away prizes for movies,tv and theatre at such a large scale.There are other two big awards namely The Grand Bell (started in 1962) and The Blue Dragon Awards(started in 1963). However these two award shows only recognise people having exceptional skill in movie industry only unlike Baeksang (it first started in 1965). Thus I m not sure which of the following could be called Oscars. But all three are the biggest award shows out there in Korea.

Guess what ,want to know a little Trivia?

SYJ has won in all the three award shows  for best actress category.It is indeed a rare feat and there are very very few actresses to have achieved this. 

PS: You can watch The Negotiation on YouTube.It is available with English subs.

• Like 1

I’d like to add another list of some of the best  scenes in CLOY - those tender moments that are subtly heart wrenching but full of meaning:

1. The scene with the orphan boy and his sister enjoying the goodies Seri packed for them (I cried! How many of these children are out there in NK/the world?) 

2. When Seri asked for a hug but RJH’s offered a handshake instead. 

3. When Eun-dong told Seri how much he misses his mother and wondering how they’re holding up in the winter. 

4. When all Eun-dong wanted was that school uniform 

5. RJH’s happy birthday speech. Seri hated her bdays because it’s a reminder of her mom’s pain and animosity towards her but Jeong Hyeok gave it a whole new meaning. 

5. Gu Seong Joon’s scenes with the orphan boy at the market. He saw himself in him.  
6. The conversation between Seo Dan and RJH moms when they were breaking off the engagement. 
7. When Man Bok ran in front of RJH to protect him from being shot and all 4 ducklings followed suit. Brotherhood ftw! 
8. While in the car and RJH’s dad asked him if Seri is doing okay and he nodded yes but tears fell. 

Feel free to add more guys!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

I’d like to add another list of some of the best  scenes in CLOY - those tender moments that are subtly heart wrenching but full of meaning:

1. The scene with the orphan boy and his sister enjoying the goodies Seri packed for them (I cried! How many of these children are out there in NK/the world?) 

2. When Seri asked for a hug but RJH’s offered a handshake instead. 

3. When Eun-dong told Seri how much he misses his mother and wondering how they’re holding up in the winter. 

4. When all Eun-dong wanted was that school uniform 

5. RJH’s happy birthday speech. Seri hated her bdays because it’s a reminder of her mom’s pain and animosity towards her but Jeong Hyeok gave it a whole new meaning. 

5. Gu Seong Joon’s scenes with the orphan boy at the market. He saw himself in him.  
6. The conversation between Seo Dan and RJH moms when they were breaking off the engagement. 
7. When Man Bok ran in front of RJH to protect him from being shot and all 4 ducklings followed suit. Brotherhood ftw! 
8. While in the car and RJH’s dad asked him if Seri is doing okay and he nodded yes but tears fell. 

Feel free to add more guys!  

5) gosh that birthday speech. How he said he was grateful she was born etc...melted my heart!!!! 

• Like 2

Korea media picking up on CLOY's success in Japan. :D

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/05/21/2020052102205.html

Korean TV Hit Spellbinds Japanese in Lockdown

May 21, 2020 12:59

2020052102198_0.jpg

"Crash Landing on You," a hit drama series about the implausible love story between a South Korean heiress and a North Korean military officer, has been the most watched TV series in Japan on Netflix for three weeks in a row.

The series wrapped up here in February to great acclaim but can now be streamed abroad.

Japan's Fuji TV cited the individual charms of stars Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin, Japanese viewers' curiosity about life in North Korea, and sheer boredom in lockdown.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 3

VAST Entertainment actually posted this article on their Facebook page!! Don't see that so often. I guess it's because of the recent popularity of CLOY and HB in Japan.

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/891921?sc=Naver&fbclid=IwAR16iHY9xB-FHetSNvKBUgA4PX9rHMpCJ6R4-LBP0uasnGYscj8ODI8XLTc

Here's the english translation using Papago translator :

"Love Flame" syndrome...Asia is 'Hyun Bin's Disease'

Actor Hyun Bin continues his "Hyun Bin syndrome" that has crossed the border.

news_1590108454_891921_m_1.png

While the tvN drama "Emergency Arrival of Love," which ended in February, continues to catch the attention of the world, interest in actor Hyun Bin, who is at the center of the box office, is hot.

According to the agency on the 22nd, as the popularity of "Love Fire" continues in Japan, local media are scrambling to analyze Hyun Bin's charm and paying attention to Hyun Bin's filmography. The magazine Elle Japan described the character of Lee Jung-hyuk, played by Hyun Bin, as "the king of Hallyu dramas in Japan," and praised him for his existence itself as a fantasy. Vogue Japan also added to the review, calling it the "ideal male image of modern society."

Japan is not the only one who has fallen into Hyun Bin. Southeast Asian countries, including China, the Philippines and Thailand, are also receiving heated responses. Rumor has it that celebrities are voluntarily certifying "Hyun Bin's Sickness" by referring to "Love Fire" in person and posting a composite picture with Hyun Bin on their personal SNS, while local broadcasters feature the "Love Fire" craze.

The "Emergency Arrival of Love" is drawing attention in the British and American regions beyond Asia. After being named as the "Recommendation of International Series to Watch" by the Washington Post in the U.S., it is one of the most popular Korean dramas in 2019 by Forbes.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Oh my! giddy over that article @TotoroSY thank you for posting! CLOY and Hyun Bin world domination! LOL! Hoping Netflix or Reelgood will release data on its most watched TV show for the year. Considering how many times people have rewatched the show (guilty here!) there’s a good chance it might make it on the list. Haha! 

On another note, thank you all for sharing insights on how the Baeksang works. I tend to get very anxious over things so I try not to think about it too much LOL but hoping and praying CLOY will bag major wins!  

I’ve also been watching other kdramas to get over CLOY but I keep coming back to it lmao. Like I would watch one episode of one show and then watch one episode of cloy too. No other drama has this same effect on me. I need help lol. I haven’t seen a lot of kdramas but why does CLOY have to set the bar so frikken high now LOL! 

Spoiler

Kdramas I have watched post CLOY: 

1. Chicago Typewriter - slow start and I almost gave it up but it got much better towards the mid to end eps. I cried a few times and ended up actually loving it. 
2. Mr. Sunshine - took a while for me to get into it but the production is impressive so I kept watching lol. Great story and I also cried a lot. I got a little crush on Go Dong Mae now. Just a little. Capt Ri still holds my heart lol 

3. Reply 1988 - 1st ep bored me but they say it’s good so I keep watching. I’m now on ep 2. Well see how it goes 

4. Prison Playbook - still on ep 1. Lol 

Kdramas I have watched pre CLOY:

1. Save The Last Dance for Me - this was my most favorite kdrama before CLOY and this came out like 16 yrs ago hahah 

2. Lovers in Paris - enjoyable but meh ending 

3. Coffee Prince - Honestly all I could remember now was the bed scene and the younger Goblin guy was cute back then hahah

5. Boys Over Flowers - had to watch because I loved Meteor Garden lol. This was a fun adaptation but I think I like the 2018 Chinese version better. 
6. Descendants of the Sun - I loved this series but not so much for me to keep rewatching it. And I remember being more invested on the 2nd leads. I thought the 2nd guy lead was hotter. Lol 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Oh my! giddy over that article @TotoroSY thank you for posting! CLOY and Hyun Bin world domination! LOL! Hoping Netflix or Reelgood will release data on its most watched TV show for the year. Considering how many times people have rewatched the show (guilty here!) there’s a good chance it might make it on the list. Haha! 

On another note, thank you all for sharing insights on how the Baeksang works. I tend to get very anxious over things so I try not to think about it too much LOL but hoping and praying CLOY will bag major wins!  

I’ve also been watching other kdramas to get over CLOY but I keep coming back to it lmao. Like I would watch one episode of one show and then watch one episode of cloy too. No other drama has this same effect on me. I need help lol. I haven’t seen a lot of kdramas but why does CLOY have to set the bar so frikken high now LOL! 

Hide contents

Kdramas I have watched post CLOY: 

1. Chicago Typewriter - slow start and I almost gave it up but it got much better towards the mid to end eps. I cried a few times and ended up actually loving it. 
2. Mr. Sunshine - took a while for me to get into it but the production is impressive so I kept watching lol. Great story and I also cried a lot. I got a little crush on Go Dong Mae now. Just a little. Capt Ri still holds my heart lol 

3. Reply 1988 - 1st ep bored me but they say it’s good so I keep watching. I’m now on ep 2. Well see how it goes 

4. Prison Playbook - still on ep 1. Lol 

Kdramas I have watched pre CLOY:

1. Save The Last Dance for Me - this was my most favorite kdrama before CLOY and this came out like 16 yrs ago hahah 

2. Lovers in Paris - enjoyable but meh ending 

3. Coffee Prince - Honestly all I could remember now was the bed scene and the younger Goblin guy was cute back then hahah

5. Boys Over Flowers - had to watch because I loved Meteor Garden lol. This was a fun adaptation but I think I like the 2018 Chinese version better. 
6. Descendants of the Sun - I loved this series but not so much for me to keep rewatching it. And I remember being more invested on the 2nd leads. I thought the 2nd guy lead was hotter. Lol 

It looks like all the Japan articles and news about CLOY is starting to make its way to Korean media, which is great cuz am hoping it will influence Baeksang judging LOL!! There has been many many fans of CLOY from different parts of the world who claimed they have rewatch CLOY repeatedly. 2-3X, 4-6X, some even say 10X !!! LOL!! I think it's cuz each and every scene is full of "kilig" (I have to borrow this Filipino word cuz don't know what word to use in english lol! I'm not filipino btw haha) and the chemistry between the characters, esp the OTP, is off the charts. So each time you watch it, you have the same "kilig" feel. :D  I believe it's cuz of this rewatch and also the continuous articles recommending CLOY, that it stays at Top 10 in many countries even after 3 mths of the finale. I don't see any other Kdramas having the same impact.

Praying hard for Baeksang too! I'm keeping my expectations very very low, cuz don't want to get disappointed. I did the same for the nominations, and the results were much better than I expected. So gonna have the same approach for the actual award too. I will be very glad to see the whole CLOY team at the award event to see their happy reunion after 3 months. :D

I do the same on rewatch - I've about to complete my 3rd rewatch but I intersperse it with other dramas. :D  I like to repeat dramas that I like, esp the ones that can give me the same feel even on rewatch. CLOY is going to be my list of rewatch for a very loooong time!

Wow, you have started a lot of new dramas.

-  haven't watch Chicago Typewriter (maybe cuz reviews were average, so it influenced my decision) nor Mr Sunshine (very strong reviews but I don't really like the male lead cuz of past scandals, and don't like war movies/ scenarios that much)

- Reply 1988 - I also struggle to continue watching and stopped at Ep 8. I think I need the right mood for it. I actually enjoyed Reply 1997 more, maybe cuz it's more cheerful

- Prison Playbook - this needs a bit of time to get into - it will get very funny once the main male lead get into prison. The characters are all zany but lovable

Hospital Playlist - it's on Netflix now and I love this one a lot! Also takes a bit more time to get into - its the same director/ writer as Reply series and Prison Playbook

- I super love Coffee Prince and have rewatch it a lot of times. It made Yoon Eun Hye the Female Lead into a superstar, but unfortunately she has hit a bit of a slump and didn't get a hit drama for years now. It also made Gong Yoo a hallyu star but then he went straight to military after that and didn't get a good drama until Goblin

- DOTS - I just can't get into this series. I find the script a bit too cheesy and the humour a bit off. Also prefer the 2nd OTP - much better acting and chemistry vs 1st OTP, in my humble opinion

-  BOF - was not in the Meteor Garden craze but watched it much much later. I actually love the original manga a lot more. :D

- Save the last dance and Lovers in Paris - phew, pretty old dramas which were very famous. I think I have watched them but can't recall the stories much now lol!

@eLizza  Yes, I recall you mentioning about double wins for Daesang Baeksang from much earlier years of the award. I think there was one year there were 2 awardees, either for best drama or best actor. Who knows, anything can happen!!

• Awesome 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:25 PM, TotoroSY said:

Hi there! Will try to answer the best I can cuz I am also relatively new to all these Korean awards since I became more invested cuz of CLOY. :D Am actually more familiar with Oscars, Golden Globe and Emmys LOL!!

1. No audience here may refer to fans as previous years, I believe they do sell/ give out tickets to fans or general public (I notice that in previous years telecast where I see fans holding up placards to support their idols). I think for sure the nominees and the presenters, and maybe those who are presenting songs etc will be there. Not sure if ALL the cast of the dramas are invited (not familiar with that) but it could be true for Best Drama nominees. So hopefully, most of the CLOY cast will be there. At least for sure we already have a LOT of them as part of the nominees :

- Writer

- Director

- SYJ, HB (Best actress/ actor)

- Pyo Chi Soo, Seo Dan and one of the NK ahjumma (Best supporting)

Some of the CLOY cast are nominated via other TV shows or films

- The Rat actor - nominated under World of the Married (Best Supporting)

- Seo Dan's mom and uncle - nominated under Parasite movie for Best New Actor/ Actress (guess they are new in movies?)

But for those nominated under another production, they may sit with closer to their other teams (not sure, just assumption)

2. From my observation, yes, Baeksang tend to distribute the awards around.

- Of course I also think it depends on the number of high quality TV shows in the nomination list.

- For some years when one particular TV show was very outstanding above others, it will win more awards (maybe 3-4 awards). For example last year, Sky Castle won Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best New Actress (BUT not Best Drama). Another good example is 2011 (47th Baeksang) where Secret Garden swept up many major awards - Daesang (for HB), Best Drama, Best Screenplay, Best New Actress

- While googling about this, I noticed one interesting year in 2014 50th Baeksang - My Love From Another Star (same writer as CLOY) won Daesang for Jun Ji-hyun (actress) but not other major awards. The only other award is Most Popular Actor 

- This year, I think the competition between the dramas and acting categories are very very close. So....anything goes LOL!! 

(except for WOTM star Kim Hee Ae - she is gonna win either Daesang or Best Actress, I think)

3. Yes, Baeksang can be considered the highest accolade for TV Shows.

-  But for Film, there are others who are also as prestigious as Baeksang like Blue Dragon. For TV shows, other awards like Seoul Awards are probably quite highly regarded too. Some public TV stations like KBS, SBS, MBC have their own awards but only for their own dramas. Unfortunately TVN which is the cable drama for CLOY do not have their own awards.

Yes, hope this thread will become more active during Baeksang time! Actually, a lot of the CLOY fans are also shippers of HB-SYJ, so many are active at the BINJIN Shipping thread. They also tend to discuss a bit about Baeksang but not in depth like here, since that would be considered off-topic there. 

Looks like you were into Kdramas during the 1st Hallyu Wave back in early-2000. I was too. And then got into other stuff after that and just returned to Kdramaland recent years. But CLOY has hit me hard vs any other Kdramas since I first started watching again.

Glad you are enjoying Strangers! I actually watched it twice, cuz I also love crime/ thriller shows. They are actually filming Strangers 2 now. :D  I think you will like Healer, cuz it's both Rom.Com and also mystery/ thriller/ action.  You can also try HB's Memories of the Alhambra as it's mostly action with minor romance. Esp if you like gaming and role-play games. :D

Thank you for the detailed insights and info!! For someone relatively new to korean film awards, you're very well informed! 

Yeahh the 1st hallyu wave ala winter sonata days oh myy haha! Glad to find people with similar experiences here :) Ooh I found Healer on Netflix, added to 'my list' haha thank you!! Have saved MoA too on my list but will probably watch it after my RiRI emotions have subsided to the point I can see either of them in another on-screen romance. 

I've been lurking on the BINJIN Shipping Thread! That thread is so active hahaa and I noticed some familiar names there too :)

5 hours ago, TotoroSY said:

VAST Entertainment actually posted this article on their Facebook page!! Don't see that so often. I guess it's because of the recent popularity of CLOY and HB in Japan.

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/891921?sc=Naver&fbclid=IwAR16iHY9xB-FHetSNvKBUgA4PX9rHMpCJ6R4-LBP0uasnGYscj8ODI8XLTc

Here's the english translation using Papago translator :

"Love Flame" syndrome...Asia is 'Hyun Bin's Disease'

Actor Hyun Bin continues his "Hyun Bin syndrome" that has crossed the border.
While the tvN drama "Emergency Arrival of Love," which ended in February, continues to catch the attention of the world, interest in actor Hyun Bin, who is at the center of the box office, is hot.

According to the agency on the 22nd, as the popularity of "Love Fire" continues in Japan, local media are scrambling to analyze Hyun Bin's charm and paying attention to Hyun Bin's filmography. The magazine Elle Japan described the character of Lee Jung-hyuk, played by Hyun Bin, as "the king of Hallyu dramas in Japan," and praised him for his existence itself as a fantasy. Vogue Japan also added to the review, calling it the "ideal male image of modern society."

Japan is not the only one who has fallen into Hyun Bin. Southeast Asian countries, including China, the Philippines and Thailand, are also receiving heated responses. Rumor has it that celebrities are voluntarily certifying "Hyun Bin's Sickness" by referring to "Love Fire" in person and posting a composite picture with Hyun Bin on their personal SNS, while local broadcasters feature the "Love Fire" craze.

"Ideal male image of modern society" - Can kick butt, protect, cook, make coffee, ride you home on a bike, buy your groceries, take a bullet for you - all while being a respectful, upright gentleman. Sorry all you single men out there, we understand it's a hard standard to beat :D 

Talking about the term "king of hallyu dramas"...I know SYJ is called the "Queen of Melodrama" in SK...but is there a "King of Melodrama" titled bestowed on any actor? Haha! I've not seen HB's other works but just from CLOY alone and from some articles written, it seems HB really shines best in the romance genre. If anything, I see it so befitting that the "King & Queen of melodrama/romance" coming together in CLOY is practically a once-in-a-lifetime gift to us fans! 

On 5/21/2020 at 12:25 AM, eLizza said:

1. I m not sure though but I think it will include minimal number of peeps. In the past Baeksang was attended by general audiences but this time I guess only nominees,presenters and other performers are allowed.They have booked a huge place called KINTEX hall for it so I suppose atleast nominees are allowed.

2.Yes you are right.As far as I have read they normally tend to distribute awards among most of the nominees. Although in my eyes CLOY is the best but its competitors are also fierce. So I don't think it will gonna sweep all the awards.It would be better to keep minimum expectations and who knows we may be surprised..ha !ha.!

3.Yes Daesang is open to any category. Winner is generally chosen from the nominations from various categories.Infact Variety shows along with dramas are also taken into account for TV Daesang.Movies and  TV have different Daesang.

4. I have heard it being called as The Golden Globe of Korea or sometimes The Oscars of Korea. It is the only award show which gives away prizes for movies,tv and theatre at such a large scale.There are other two big awards namely The Grand Bell (started in 1962) and The Blue Dragon Awards(started in 1963). However these two award shows only recognise people having exceptional skill in movie industry only unlike Baeksang (it first started in 1965). Thus I m not sure which of the following could be called Oscars. But all three are the biggest award shows out there in Korea.

Guess what ,want to know a little Trivia?

SYJ has won in all the three award shows  for best actress category.It is indeed a rare feat and there are very very few actresses to have achieved this. 

PS: You can watch The Negotiation on YouTube.It is available with English subs.

Thank you for the input too! Yeahh SYJ has a LONG list of awards and accolades it's crazy (yet totally warranted)! I was wondering though..I realized from HB's profile that all his award wins/nominations are from his drama projects..Not sure if the list there is updated but I find it quite surprising that he doesn't have more award wins/nominations than some other actors who are less known.

Hope it doesn't sound like a comparison, just that it's genuinely surprising given his A-list status and his depth of acting talent and skills, etc, he would have raked up a looong list of awards because it's well deserved. So I guess it's a surprising fact is that he hasn't received as many nominations/awards for his many film works and also by other awarding bodies like Blue Dragon, Grand Bell, etc.

I recognize he has some outstanding achievements such as being the youngest actor to ever win the Daeksang which is daebak!

Edited by anney
  • Love 1

@anney I haven’t seen most of HB and SYJ’s work either esp those that aren’t on Netflix. CLOY definitely has become a big boost on their acting resumes and will be one of their most iconic roles. Capt Ri has become the standard of being the perfect boyfriend (sorry boys!) and Seri is that girlboss and fashion icon! I think HB is more on dramas while SYJ dominates the movies. If HB can’t be king of anything he can settle being the king of our hearts for now. Lol 

I’ve also been lurking on the BINJIN thread but I couldn’t really keep up with the discussion as they tend to go fast so I just lurk lol 

I also have a tough time watching their other dramas cause I couldn’t bear to see them with other onscreen partners yet lol but I did watch MoA though 

Spoiler

I watched it just for HB! Lol His character’s a bit of jerk but he was a total eye candy in that series. I forgot to add it to my list of kdramas I have watched post cloy. Lol. I couldn’t get into it for the 1st few eps too but it got better after ep 5 or so I think. The romance angle is a bit off as he doesn’t really have chemistry with Park Shin Ye and the show could honestly do without it so it wasn’t really needed imo but the story is pretty good and unique you will root for him towards the end. 

@TotoroSY oh yes! That’s the perfect word! Super ‘kilig’ indeed! That’s probably one of my most favorite filipino words. Lol! It doesn’t have a literal english equivalent but the closest I can think of is ‘giddy’ added with lots of pink bubbles, heart fluttering and butterflies in the tummy. Hahah and you’re right, it’s most likely the reason people have been rewatching CLOY endlessly. I, for one can’t get over with the ‘kilig’ no matter how many times I have seen it so here I am in this thread. Lmao 

I also didn’t expect much for the Baeksang nominations to avoid disappointment and I was happy to be surprised! I’d have the same approach as you and just hope for the best. Who knows, CLOY might be nominated for the Emmy’s too since it’s a Netflix show lol. Parasite won the Oscars so it isn’t too far fetched and there’s Emmy’s for international shows if I am not mistaken so I hope CLOY will get more recognition! 

Spoiler

I’ve been meaning to start watching Hospital Playlist because Mr. Sunshine’s Go Dong Mae is also there but I’m a bit hesitant cause I’m not really a big fan of hospital shows. Please tell me it’s better and much more lighthearted than Grey’s Anatomy and I’ll give it a go :lol:

and ohhh curious about Mr. Sunshine’s scandals I didn't know about that. I’ll google. Lol

You got me on Strangers! Will add it to my list too. Thanks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anney said:

Thank you for the detailed insights and info!! For someone relatively new to korean film awards, you're very well informed! 

Yeahh the 1st hallyu wave ala winter sonata days oh myy haha! Glad to find people with similar experiences here :) Ooh I found Healer on Netflix, added to 'my list' haha thank you!! Have saved MoA too on my list but will probably watch it after my RiRI emotions have subsided to the point I can see either of them in another on-screen romance. 

I've been lurking on the BINJIN Shipping Thread! That thread is so active hahaa and I noticed some familiar names there too :)

Nice to see this thread active again!! Well, whenever I get interested in a subject matter, I spent hours googling and reading up about it. For example. cuz of CLOY, I have read countless articles and watched countless videos about North Korea, NK defectors stories etc etc. It was so interesting. Same for Baeksang, because of CLOY, I googled and compared results of different dramas and actors to see the trend LOL!! Yes, I can be quite crazy like that. Previously I have also spent hours on The Lord of The Rings and Game of Thrones. :D

Binjin thread is super active! It's always listed as the most active thread in Soompi Forum (if you check the right-side of the screen). You can just read and get updated if you're too busy to join to chat.

4 hours ago, anney said:

"Ideal male image of modern society" - Can kick butt, protect, cook, make coffee, ride you home on a bike, buy your groceries, take a bullet for you - all while being a respectful, upright gentleman. Sorry all you single men out there, we understand it's a hard standard to beat :D 

Talking about the term "king of hallyu dramas"...I know SYJ is called the "Queen of Melodrama" in SK...but is there a "King of Melodrama" titled bestowed on any actor? Haha! I've not seen HB's other works but just from CLOY alone and from some articles written, it seems HB really shines best in the romance genre. If anything, I see it so befitting that the "King & Queen of melodrama/romance" coming together in CLOY is practically a once-in-a-lifetime gift to us fans! 

The writer, and HB, has really created the "perfect boyfriend" in Captain Ri. One drama blogger said this was HB's most SWOONABLE role. And I totally agree. It's no wonder all the ladies from different countries are swooning crazily over HB, courtesy of his role as RJH. Plus it helps that HB does give the same vibes as RJH.

You are right that SYJ is the Queen of Melodrama cuz of her roles in movies (and also dramas but mainly movies) - The Classic,  A Moment to Remember, Summer Scent (drama) etc. Have never heard of King of Melodrama before hahaha! But I think some media do call HB as the King of Romcom or Romance? It's true that he got very popular through this genre of dramas, from My Name if Kim Sam Soon, to Secret Garden and now the 3rd wave CLOY. Actually for CLOY, both of them acted roles that's a bit different from their usual :

- SYJ - YSR is a comedic and funny role, on top of the melodrama in the later part of the series. Quite different from her previous image on screen

- HB - RJH is so gentlemanly and understanding, softspoken and caring (through his actions). Again very different from his most famous roles of rich chaebol heir who is arrogant and quite a jerk LOL!

4 hours ago, anney said:

Thank you for the input too! Yeahh SYJ has a LONG list of awards and accolades it's crazy (yet totally warranted)! I was wondering though..I realized from HB's profile that all his award wins/nominations are from his drama projects..Not sure if the list there is updated but I find it quite surprising that he doesn't have more award wins/nominations than some other actors who are less known.

Hope it doesn't sound like a comparison, just that it's genuinely surprising given his A-list status and his depth of acting talent and skills, etc, he would have raked up a looong list of awards because it's well deserved. So I guess it's a surprising fact is that he hasn't received as many nominations/awards for his many film works and also by other awarding bodies like Blue Dragon, Grand Bell, etc.

I recognize he has some outstanding achievements such as being the youngest actor to ever win the Daeksang which is daebak!

Actually you are right. SYJ is probably one of the most prolific SK movie actress of her time and has won countless awards. Even HB has given a lot of respect to her during their interviews together, whether for the movie Negotiation or CLOY. As for HB, he is more well-known within dramas and yes, it's a big deal that he is still the youngest actor/ actress to have won the TV Daesang at Baeksang. He did get nominated a number of times for Best Actor at Baeksang but have lost to other actors, except the year he got Daesang. As for movies, he hasn't been as active until recent years, where he seems to have chosen the route of action roles. In his earlier movie years, he acted in more smaller independent films with more melo/ dramatic roles. He might still pick up this type of roles in movies in the future.

1 hour ago, MsHoon2219 said:

Hide contents

I watched it just for HB! Lol His character’s a bit of jerk but he was a total eye candy in that series. I forgot to add it to my list of kdramas I have watched post cloy. Lol. I couldn’t get into it for the 1st few eps too but it got better after ep 5 or so I think. The romance angle is a bit off as he doesn’t really have chemistry with Park Shin Ye and the show could honestly do without it so it wasn’t really needed imo but the story is pretty good and unique you will root for him towards the end. 

@TotoroSY oh yes! That’s the perfect word! Super ‘kilig’ indeed! That’s probably one of my most favorite filipino words. Lol! It doesn’t have a literal english equivalent but the closest I can think of is ‘giddy’ added with lots of pink bubbles, heart fluttering and butterflies in the tummy. Hahah and you’re right, it’s most likely the reason people have been rewatching CLOY endlessly. I, for one can’t get over with the ‘kilig’ no matter how many times I have seen it so here I am in this thread. Lmao 

I also didn’t expect much for the Baeksang nominations to avoid disappointment and I was happy to be surprised! I’d have the same approach as you and just hope for the best. Who knows, CLOY might be nominated for the Emmy’s too since it’s a Netflix show lol. Parasite won the Oscars so it isn’t too far fetched and there’s Emmy’s for international shows if I am not mistaken so I hope CLOY will get more recognition! 

Hide contents

I’ve been meaning to start watching Hospital Playlist because Mr. Sunshine’s Go Dong Mae is also there but I’m a bit hesitant cause I’m not really a big fan of hospital shows. Please tell me it’s better and much more lighthearted than Grey’s Anatomy and I’ll give it a go :lol:

and ohhh curious about Mr. Sunshine’s scandals I didn't know about that. I’ll google. Lol

You got me on Strangers! Will add it to my list too. Thanks!

I like your description of KILIG : ‘giddy’ added with lots of pink bubbles, heart fluttering and butterflies in the tummy.

It's really a perfect expression of how I feel when I watch CLOY. Plus a lot, a lot of belly-bending laughter!

Yes, don't set any expectations for Baeksang. Then we won't be so nervous as we wait for the results LOL!! Just pray for the best! 

Wow, CLOY nominated in Emmy's? That would be incredible!! Even if it's not Emmy's, I am hoping that CLOY will get some sort of recognition outside of Asia in the form of award nominations or even popularity awards.

MOA - same like you, I couldn't get into the series until later, when Jin Woo/ HB returned after 1 year. I was so confused by the gaming rules LOL! And yes, the OTP chemistry is not so great. Seems the writer built in the romance part kinda last minute cuz she thot audience will expect it. Maybe that's why the romance story is not cohesive

Hospital Playlist - it's a very different type of hospital shows vs Grey's Anatomy. It focuses on on the humane aspect and relationships of the 5 key players, and the people around them. A lot about friendship and also how the people within the hospital relate to each other. Can be very very funny and also very very poignant and touching. I just love the feeling it gives me each time I watch one episode. The pace is not stressful and frenetic (like Grey's Anatomy) but more peaceful and everyday-like.

• Love 1