[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more about Man Soo and his family, and that shady Mom isn't trying to concoct a reason to start communications with his family.  There isn't anything on the relationship chart about his associations, so I'm wondering if this Man Soo/shady Mom plan is going to be short-lived and Jenny makes a quick decision and elopes with Eun Suk.  I don't see any reason for Man Soo to be hanging around very long, because the drama seems to be centered around shady Mom and her past which involves the Oh family.

Super dangerous for Dong Joo's sister to be messing with shady Mom and Jenny, disguised as the driver.  Yikes. :(

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is going to start this drama, you might as well wait for about 35 episodes before you jump in.  I can see the indications of "snail's pace" already.  Everybody knows that Dong Joo is going to end up at the house of Song Ah, so maybe he'll get there by episode 10.

I don't really get why a writer would pick an American name like "Jenny" that is hard to pronounce by Koreans.  It shouldn't be, but it sure gets mangled.

23 hours ago, msmy said:

Super dangerous for Dong Joo's sister to be messing with shady Mom and Jenny, disguised as the driver.  Yikes. :(

shady mom's actions were so over the top and like dong joo asked, why was jenny passive? does she not realize that her mom's actions are strange? is it so normal for her that she is only slightly embarrassed?

23 hours ago, msmy said:

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more about Man Soo and his family, and that shady Mom isn't trying to concoct a reason to start communications with his family.  There isn't anything on the relationship chart about his associations, so I'm wondering if this Man Soo/shady Mom plan is going to be short-lived and Jenny makes a quick decision and elopes with Eun Suk.

was surprised to learn that it was man soo who approached eun suk's cousin young man and chose the company. even grandfather is surprised because they are not exactly the fashion top dogs. so why did man soo choose them? even he seems a bit suspicious? who would court a woman for 10 years hoping she will say yes? isn't that kind of strange? and who is sending the texts to shady mom? somehow, it made me think of man soo.....

is anyone else watching this drama? @lu09 ~ how are you finding it so far?

On 5/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, msmy said:

Super dangerous for Dong Joo's sister to be messing with shady Mom and Jenny, disguised as the driver.

It seems Jenny is a common name in SBS morning dramas. Can't speak to Gangnam Scandal because I didn't watch but the two dramas prior to that one both had characters name Jenny or Jin Hee which is pronounced similarly. 

@Lmangla We are watching it but have not watched ep 5 yet. More when I do.

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

shady mom's actions were so over the top and like dong joo asked, why was jenny passive? does she not realize that her mom's actions are strange? is it so normal for her that she is only slightly embarrassed?

Just about his sister, I have the impression that if she continues to provoke shady mom, she may die, maybe that's the reason why her brother will finally help his boss to catch this woman.?!
If not clearly shady mom does not like jenny, it was obvious that she had kidnapped her, she uses jenny to live well and she is abusive even leaves to mistreat without jenny without making final count as and when the truth is liberated, jenny will suffer a great deal, especially as she is a public figure;...

the ex husband of Song Ah is really cute and sexy:flushed:,   it's a shame that the actor plays a role in this drama

I'm shocked to see that Song Ah takes all the blame for the death of their daughter, :rage:

@Lmangla I finally watched all 5 EPs and OMG, the word "Shady" does not describe this woman at all:scream:. I have no words to describe her :skull:. Some thoughts and spoilers.

So Jenny is the missing sister ( Her real name is Kyung Ah if I got the name right) of SA who is the former granddaughter in law of the chairman. Shady lady took the girl just because she saw her, unbelievable:rage:. Now we got Jenny trying to get out of the lunatic's control and it always ends up with her getting hurt in some kind of freak accident. I'm surprised Jenny never suspected her fake mom being behind this. Good thing ES is getting suspicious of this fake mother. In the preview, did Jenny did the interview? I saw her picture in the newspaper that shady lady was holding and she was screaming in public when she saw it lol:lol:. Is that why shady lady got a hit on her in broad daylight? She is nuts.

ES is curious about Jenny and it looks like they gonna start interacting next week. I can't wait because I'm sick and tired of seeing that woman's face:crazy:. And what's with that Man Soon guy who already claiming to be the son in law:crazy:? This is gonna be a headache.

Jenny bio mom got into an accident one year ago which is causing her to get symptoms just like dementia. I wonder if the ex-cop was at the scene when the accident happened. It's weird how she is mistaking him for her former son in law. They also never mentioned how and when his wife died:huh:. And speaking of the ex-husband, he reap what he sow lol. Karma indeed is a bi""""ch. Can't believe he was seeing two women at the same time in a span of 3 years. Now the current mistress is playing games with him after she got him divorced and has no intention of marrying the scumbag lol. This is so gonna be funny:lol:. And second of all, the nerve of him and his mother blaming SA for the death of her daughter:rage:. They are the ones who signed the child up in that school at abroad even though SA kept begging them not to. Good thing she is done with that mom/son duo. 

SA is moving on with her life after the divorce and the ex-cop and his family are gonna enter her life when they move in her house. I'm surprised she only asked that house as alimony. The chairman, ES and his cousin are very fond of her. Guess they gonna be a family again after Jenny gets married to ES. The chairman will be over the moon lol. As for the female cousin, she is good now. I wonder if she is gonna change sides later or will she stay the same? I hope for the latter. 

8 hours ago, lu09 said:

Now we got Jenny trying to get out of the lunatic's control and it always ends up with her getting hurt in some kind of freak accident. I'm surprised Jenny never suspected her fake mom being behind this

yea you would think that one would be surprised right? but am guessing that this was shady mom's of controlling for years and so maybe jenny has gotten used to the concept that she has some sort of bad luck. she doesn't seem to have any friends or any interactions besides her mom. so she doesn't seem to have a way of knowing that this isn't normal. so eun seok is already picking up that something is wrong but how will she react? will she be in denial for 20+ episodes?

9 hours ago, lu09 said:

I wonder if the ex-cop was at the scene when the accident happened. It's weird how she is mistaking him for her former son in law. They also never mentioned how and when his wife died:huh:

actually they briefly mentioned his back story when the secretary gave his bio to the grandfather in ep 1 or 2. so from what I remember, five years ago or more, he was wrongly accused. so a case went wrong. he was forced to resign. around the same time, his wife fell sick. they don't mention of what but it was serious and so this guy was forced to take out loans and when he couldn't pay, he started doing odd jobs like delivery driver. but the treatment didn't work and she died. and he still had to pay for the loans they took and so he just continued. thats the brief the secretary gave grandfather. so I doubt ex-cop was at the scene because it seemed like he had been out of police work for a few years. maybe 3-5 years or so...

@Lmangla Unfortunately, she will be in denial. We have a long way to go before she realizes what her fake mom is doing to her:crazy:. However, this time she will be involved with alot of people which will make it difficult for shady mom to do something serious to Jenny. 

They said he was wrongly accused 7 years ago, then his wife got sick but then died after that. I don't remember if they mentioned when she died so I was thinking maybe she died the same year as the accident. It's weird how she is reacting to him like that :huh:. Guess we will have to watch it to find out how they are connected.

@lu09 ~ even if jenny hasn't realized, others are already starting to think shady mom strange. loved the first takedown between eun seok and shady mom in ep 6 -- he totally refused to just let jenny lie on the street and would not allow shady mom to boss him. why does she deny meeting him? guess she was trying to put him in place?

and based on the preview, it looks like reporter is asking the right question -- why is shady mom isolating jenny? oooh, let the questions begin!

we also saw glimpses of jenny's memories where they were hiding in quite bad circumstances -- given how shady mom is, am surprised that she kept jenny as a child... what do other chingus think? @marrez1 @msmy @rolisrntex @joccu  ......

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

based on the preview, it looks like reporter is asking the right question -- why is shady mom isolating jenny? oooh, let the questions begin!

we also saw glimpses of jenny's memories where they were hiding in quite bad circumstances -- given how shady mom is, am surprised that she kept jenny as a child...

I'm also surprised that she kept jenny. Maybe she thought that people wouldn't think that she's the black rose if she has a kid. 

Standard daily drama: 

1.  They all will live together
  2. They all will work with each other 

But I will still watch it because the characters and the actors are likable.

So, begin the standard plot ploys: 

1. Work sabotage. 
  2. Someone will steal the pictures of Jenny as a little girl. 
  3. The good mother, the one with dementia, will die with the secret knowing Jenny is her daughter. 
  4. At some point the tenant will have to come up with the deposit because something will happen with the house.
  5. DNA tests will take place. 
  6. Some toy, ribbon, thing will trigger memory recovery.  

Onward!  화이팅 hwaiting   ( Morning drama connoisseurs. 

After reading this thread I decided to try this drama. It will be the third daily drama I have ever watched. I must say it’s interesting and the characters are likable for the most part barring shady mom. The ex-MIL and her cheating son are tolerable especially now that SA doesn’t have anything to do with them. I’m looking forward to seeing her get her life back together. With DJ and family moving in, their home might get livelier and warmer. 

As to shady MIL, I’m glad someone is texting her anonymously to rattle her nerves. There should be some balance when it comes to twisted characters like her so that the viewer doesn’t feel overwhelmed by her villainy. I hope ES continue to be astute and realize that something is amiss around Jenny. He will be working with her so he might get the opportunity to observe more and form a definite belief that someone is trying to harm her. I think the shady mom will try to get out of dealing with J Group after she realizes ES is part of the team they’ll be working with. Since I don’t imagine that shady MIL will be exposed anytime soon, I hope Jenny gets a breather from her if the anonymous person keep sending texts to the fake mom to keep her somewhat in check because if one of her schemes against Jenny goes awry she might really end up seriously hurt or worse.

As to our young reporter, I hope they don’t kill her off. From the preview it seems like ES is interested in investigating his father’s death so I hope if the ex-cop is to work on the case again it’s not because his sister is murdered. That would just be too sad.

I’m glad the slap by shady mom was addressed. I often wonder why people in these Asian drama just simply take a slap to the face without slapping back. Indeed our young reporter didn’t retaliate but it was sufficient for me that she, her brother and Jenny thought that shady mom was out of line. 

I'm guessing that Jenny was just a tool for shady Mom to pull off her life of crime.  At one point she was pick- pocketing, so maybe a kid would distract the victim while shady Mom collected,  while Jenny knew nothing.  Even now she doesn't seem to have a clue as to how her Mother supported them when she was young.

There is still a lot to be revealed as to the death of Chairman Oh's son.  I suspect that shady Mom killed him, though not sure of what their relationship was.  That sketchy scene where a man is dead, former cop and friend of Dong Joo is seen holding a gun, then forces the gun into DJ's hand, is all misleading.  I wonder if shady Mom shot the man, left the gun to look like suicide, then the other guys were suspects.

Lots of predictable scenes to come as @stellaa has noted.... Song Ah's work/shop will be targeted by shady Mom and her goon.  It's funny that Eun Suk's name has not been mentioned yet to rattle shady Mom, but that should be good.  

@msmy, I believe shady mom will be rattled once she meets the J Group team. After all, ES was around for three incidents now. I think he told her he was on the flight with them. Knowing how cautious and controlling shady mom is, she’ll probably try to stop the collaboration with the company after seeing ES again. Unfortunately for her, Jenny will probably meet ES first and want to work with him and might for the first time take an unwavering stance on this. 

yay! so nice to see some more names here in the thread. @Stellaa ~ while shady mom will definitely have some of the usual tropes (what is kdrama without some recipe? hahahaha..), it feels like there is less people watching or checking it out because this isn't a typical daily. it is not the usual daily -- where lady gets cheated by husband and ends up with another hot guy -- that one can watch with half eye closed and skip a few episodes. at least for now, we need to see to each episodes as we are getting info bit by bit..

5 hours ago, joccu said:

I'm also surprised that she kept jenny. Maybe she thought that people wouldn't think that she's the black rose if she has a kid. 

yea, maybe. for someone she raised, am not sure if she has true genuine feelings for jenny at all. @msmy -- whenever she reveals her "how dare she disobey me?" face, we see such anger and irritation that it makes me feel that for shady mom, jenny was just a tool and now a cash cow. not a person and certainly not a daughter. so it makes me wonder if she acts in front of jenny all the time. but what exactly did she feed jenny in terms of back story? that they just magically lived in japan? why insist that they never had a poor past?

but given how she is willing to physically hurt jenny just to get her to behave the way she wants, what will shady mom do when jenny really starts getting rebellious? will there be a murder attempt?

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

The ex-MIL and her cheating son are tolerable especially now that SA doesn’t have anything to do with them. I’m looking forward to seeing her get her life back together. With DJ and family moving in, their home might get livelier and warmer.

yea, it makes for a nice change that we don't have to wait for her to kick out the cheater. instead, it is already done and dusted and will be about her coming to terms with the past (finding jenny, her sister) and also moving forward to future (with the ex-cop and kiddo)

As to shady MIL, I’m glad someone is texting her anonymously to rattle her nerves. There should be some balance when it comes to twisted characters like her so that the viewer doesn’t feel overwhelmed by her villainy.

good point. maybe thats why we are not getting irritated with shady mom. also the fact that eun seok is already suspicious of her is a nice start. sometimes, you feel like slapping the characters for believing the best when it is so obvious the villain is not to be trusted.

As to our young reporter, I hope they don’t kill her off. From the preview it seems like ES is interested in investigating his father’s death so I hope if the ex-cop is to work on the case again it’s not because his sister is murdered. That would just be too sad.

oh no! hope that doesn't happen. the ex-cop already has enough of a sad back story no? this would be a bit too much. maybe song ah will help him to decide and he will agree as she has cut the deposit?

2 hours ago, msmy said:

I wonder if shady Mom shot the man, left the gun to look like suicide, then the other guys were suspects.

ex-cop lost his job about 7 years ago.. so the timelines don't match no? since the iron rose case is supposed to be something like 20+ years ago especially since she seemed to have jenny when she was a kid. basically it is a real cold case. am wondering whether eun seok knew his father at all because the way grandfather told the story, it sounded like he grew up without parents because of the iron rose case.

@Lmangla, I also agree that shady mom has no affection for Jenny. It does seem that she’s using her for money and wouldn’t hesitate to put her in danger to maintain her control over her. All her schemes in Jenny’s life is for her benefit. She wouldn’t even leave Jenny alone or give her space. Notice that wherever Jenny is the shady mom is somewhere close by and she even manages Jenny’s career. I thought after all those years with Jenny she would treat her more affectionately but all her actions seem to be for the sake of manipulating Jenny. 

I’m quite pleased that Eun Seok is sensible. He even stood up to his aunt who forbade him not to visit Song Ah again and gave his honest opinion on his cousin’s divorce and the little daughter’s death. I’m hoping that he continues to maintain his clarity and not get manipulated by shady mom’s facade and schemes unlike the hotel owner. 

As to Jenny, she seem to want to take control of her life but doesn’t have the guts. I hope that changes.

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@lu09 ~ even if jenny hasn't realized, others are already starting to think shady mom strange. loved the first takedown between eun seok and shady mom in ep 6 -- he totally refused to just let jenny lie on the street and would not allow shady mom to boss him. why does she deny meeting him? guess she was trying to put him in place?

and based on the preview, it looks like reporter is asking the right question -- why is shady mom isolating jenny? oooh, let the questions begin!

we also saw glimpses of jenny's memories where they were hiding in quite bad circumstances -- given how shady mom is, am surprised that she kept jenny as a child... what do other chingus think? @marrez1 @msmy @rolisrntex @joccu  ......

Yep, people are asking the right questions. Now I'm starting to fear for the female reporter's life here because she is asking the right questions to the wrong person. Hopefully she doesn't get killed this early. 

Those memories, it seems like the poor girl forgot that the woman was not her mother. I'm surprised shady lady was doing pickpocketing to survive. But then how did they get to travel abroad? And with who's money?? I think the only reason why she was kept is maybe because shady lady found out about her talent for art. After all, other than that, Jenny is not useful to her. Guess her greed got the better of her:crazy:

I loved ES when he told her straight that he will take her to the hospital. I also loved when he told his aunt off. The chairman looked proud when ES defended SA and pointed out what his cousin and aunt did. Guess aunty will be working with 2 people she hates the most as the chairman said lol:D. In the preview, he introduces himself and Jenny looks happy. Shady lady's hands will be full lol. 

Archived