[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

7 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

agree... sometimes i do asking "do you really in love?" their dates looks boring, and they seems like been talking about shady mom all the times during their dates.. then where is the love? 

great question! guess we are just supposed to take it at face value that they are in love.

but your post has me wondering -- can a guy be protective of a woman even if he is not in love with her? eun seok is really motivated by his protective instinct but is it just because he is chivalrous? kind? or is he in love? maybe we should get a male opinion on this - @rolisrntex ~ what do you think?

jenny is not very protective of eun seok. is it because she can't or won't? if you saw the man that you love being attacked, wouldn't you retaliate? or is she just enamoured or infatuated or attracted to eun seok?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

ut your post has me wondering -- can a guy be protective of a woman even if he is not in love with her? eun seok is really motivated by his protective instinct but is it just because he is chivalrous? kind? or is he in love? maybe we should get a male opinion on this

Yeah he can. I know I have. I had a female coworker one time that I had taken under my wing and tutored. However, other folks constantly criticized her because she made lots of mistakes during the learning process. I was very protective and tried to shield most of that criticism from her. I didn't want her to lose confidence and helped her learn from her mistakes. We work in different departments in different buildings now but still work together on projects periodically. I still tend to be protective.

Never was in love with her (happily married) but I do like her and admire her courage to acquire new skills.

Despite being badgered by Grandpa, shady Mom, and ES's aunt, ES and Jenny are determined to get married with the people around who will support them and ignore the naysayers.  I'm not sure if that's going to happen since Man Soo has assured shady Mom , with his very sinister sneer, "Don't worry.  Everything is in place."  Evidently his spies know the plan and where the events will take place.  Let's see if they are thwarted by ES with a counter measure.

The scene with Dong Joo and Young Man is hilarious, especially when YM complained that he got a bad bruise ("owie") after their last encounter.  Then Dong Joo had to deal with Eun Ji once again, and I loved his reaction after she left with him grabbing the back of his head .... as if to say, "Those two are a pain in the neck!"  :angry:

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

thanks for your insight @rolisrntex; so do you think eun seok is actually in love with jenny or is he just being chivalrous because shady mom is just too strange and dangerous?

He loved her at first sight in the music store in the first episode. He is protective but he really loves her. Also I think all the good characters like her, for example her mom, her sister, Dong Joo's sister, they are all trying to save her

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

thanks for your insight @rolisrntex; so do you think eun seok is actually in love with jenny or is he just being chivalrous because shady mom is just too strange and dangerous?

Yeah. I think he does. I don’t think he would risk alienating his family if he didn’t.

I see our lead actress is back to the frizzy hair she favours in other dramas.

Have our dimwitted leads even registered their marriage?  That's the important step, you know, not a ceremony.  This isn't an Islamic country or an old-school Christian one where you can pull up your witnesses and say here, they saw me get married. 

EDIT

This was a boring episode.  I want some Shady Mom and Man Soo machinations and more Eun Ji and  Young Man fun!  The rest of them are really, really dull. 

21 hours ago, msmy said:

The scene with Dong Joo and Young Man is hilarious, especially when YM complained that he got a bad bruise ("owie") after their last encounter.  Then Dong Joo had to deal with Eun Ji once again, and I loved his reaction after she left with him grabbing the back of his head .... as if to say, "Those two are a pain in the neck!"  :angry:

poor dong joo - he is really starting to get annoyed with the siblings. he told eun ji that he had a daughter and she was so shocked but later when she found out his wife died, the game is back on for her. eun seok tells her to stop chasing dong joo when he is clearly not interested but she doesn't seem to care.

the wedding prep for eun seok and jenny is on but honestly it was kind of boring. have to agree with grandpa that it is a bad match. my guess is that after the marriage, at some point, eun seok will lose it at how jenny is so passive and doesn't do anything to defend him. @tulip06 ~ bet they won't register the marriage and so it will be easy for them to have an extended break-up.

dong joo had a split second where he thought of what it would be like to marry song ah. ooh, the fella is already in love!

Eun Suk only told Eun Ji that Dong Joo is not interested in her, so she should stop bothering him.  If ES was a little more direct, he would also tell her it is sexual harassment, so then there's that.  <_<

Looks like the wedding actually takes place, and shady Mom is outraged so she is springing into action.  She berates Man Soo for being incompetent, and it kind of looked like MS was taking the insult to heart, so what does he do now... start secretly exposing her?

6 minutes ago, msmy said:

Looks like the wedding actually takes place, and shady Mom is outraged so she is springing into action. 

That's quite odd the OTP gets married so early in a drama. However, as @tulip06 said the most important step for them to get their butts to the courthouse and register their marriage. The marriage is not considered valid in Korea until that happens.

Well, that was ugly.  In answer to my thought before about Eun Suk being smart enough to have his own countermeasure ready to ward off any troublemakers, nope.  He wasn't .  And as some have noted, if they didn't already register their marriage, they are back to ground zero.

Shady Mom's goons came in and smashed up the wedding before it started, then some officers arrived to arrest ES for something.  He is in jail, while Jenny is confronting her ruthless Mom who is planning even more, I think, to bring Jenny to her knees.  Man Soo is looking on, very uncomfortably, and the preview shows Dong Joo and ES comparing notes.  I need the subs to get the real  gist of the episode.

6 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

agree, if they didn't register their marriage, ES can't protect Jenny using law. 

I said our leads were dumb-dumbs, didn't I?

Where does Shady Mom get all her money from? Can't be Jenny's fashion biz, unless she's running shady businesses on the side.

You know who annoys me and who I don't blame Mean Aunt for hating? Songah's mom. So whiny! When doesn't she whine about something? 

And what's with this, Jenny must be adopted for her mom to treat her that way?  I have lots of adopted children in my extended family, other people I know have adopted children in theirs, and they are all treated like family so much so that people have forgotten they are adopted until it's time to do things like passports and other things.   What a rubbish attitude this character is promoting in a drama.  

At least Jenny isn't folding... yet.  She seems determined to stay with ES, and he mentioned just registering their marriage.  Shady Mom is confident she has all the bases covered in charging ES with spreading false rumors and causing her grief, destroying the evidence he had, and putting him in prison for several years.  Pretty harsh for such a minimal "crime".  I, for one, will be waiting for a slip up on her part, having missed a few details that will start the red flags waving as Dong Joo gets involved.  Hopefully we won't get 40 more episodes of shady Mom's torturous acts without ES getting in a few good licks.

Yeah, the "she must have been adopted" line is really insensitive .    I wonder if this writer even thought about how cruel and unreasonable that sounded. :(

@calledtoteach It's very common in Korean drama to say someone is adopted when they are treated badly by parents. Also, this drama is highlighting the difference between the adoptive mother (shady) and the real (whiny). Which is bad for adoption as policy. 

About to watch new episode if it has subs. Hope it is interesting with fun shady antics!

Update: Whiny is crying again. :bawling:

Archived