[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

In episode 26, Jenny goes to the store for a snack, and Man Soo meets her there.  She is shocked to see him, and very angry.  He keeps his cool, but she is wondering what she has to do to stop these people from tracking her down.  I guess she agreed to meet Eun Suk, then stood him up.

Jenny calls Song Ah to pick up the dress.  On the way out of the house, Song Ah tells her mother where she is going, and Mom says to invite her to dinner.  End of episode shows Jenny arriving at the house....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@msmy, thanks for the information. I’m four episodes behind so I like reading summaries of what I missed. Hopefully with Ms. Naive getting involved with Song-ah, capable people like Dong-Joo and his detective partner might take an interest in her if Song-ah and her become friends and she mingles more with Kyung In and Dong-Joo. I don’t like that Eun Seok is risking his life for Ms. Naive considering that shady mom hates him with a passion and she’s capable of terrible things.

11 hours ago, tulip06 said:

also, based on the preview, Jenny need not act quite so disgusted with Man Soo, I think. So rude. He has helped her regularly! And she’s not all that herself, being quite a dummy. After all, if she had more than two brain cells, she might see that Shady Mom is not likely to stop at just being a “momager.”  Creepy people usually have a network, and that’s the problem Man Soo has been trying to solve, and what he tried to say, that she was not ready to hear the full story, because brainwashed as a box of rocks. 

misplaced anger? she can't yell at shady mom or get frustrated -- whereas he treats her like an equal and actually listens and not tries to make it out like she is mental. so she takes out all her anger on him. hopefully in future, she will understand that he was actually helping her -- the guy deserves some appreciation.

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

misplaced anger? she can't yell at shady mom or get frustrated -- whereas he treats her like an equal and actually listens and not tries to make it out like she is mental. so she takes out all her anger on him. hopefully in future, she will understand that he was actually helping her -- the guy deserves some appreciation.

OMG, you are so right!!!

She acted like such a child with him today.  And he was so patient with her.  I don't like Jenny at all, to be honest, but perhaps she will grow up a bit and be a better heroine.  

I like Song Ah more, but I hope she wakes up and becomes more interesting. Right now, it's like she is blank as well.  I miss the lively ahjumma heroines of past SBS dramas like Happy Sisters and that one with the chefs.  

24 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

I like Song Ah more, but I hope she wakes up and becomes more interesting. Right now, it's like she is blank as well.  I miss the lively ahjumma heroines of past SBS dramas like Happy Sisters and that one with the chefs.  

kekeke... am the opposite. am actually enjoying her zen nature. it makes a nice change of pace -- someone who is not angry or upset over the divorce and at same time, neither is she annoyingly cheerful. it is also kind of cool that she didn't need a romance to get to her zen state or any special friend. instead, it was just about accepting her grief and deciding to move on. more than eun seok and jenny, it is dong joo and song ah as a pairing that I really like. just old fashioned quiet maturity that will slowly simmer.

I feel so sorry for Eun Seok, he really wants to help Jenny and she's treating him pretty badly by standing him up and hiding from him when he's done nothing wrong. Sure, she lurked around, promising in her thoughts to run to him eventually, but surely she could text him and communicate her situation. She seems to have no problem expressing her thoughts to Man Soo. Jenny is a very frustrating FL. It's understandable that she wants her independence and Man Soo is a person she feels is on her fake mums side, but she doesn't ever listen to what he's trying to tell her and just behaves like the childlike stunted adult her fake mum says she is. Then with Eun Seuk, she seems to reciprocate his feelings but she's cool with letting him suffer. That seems pretty selfish to me. Plus in her tantrum with Man Soo, she said she'll just marry Eun Seuk. So he's like her rebellion/revenge? Not cool Jenny. He loves her. Proper loves her. I hope she doesn't marry him to spite her fake mum and MS, that should not be her motivation. 

The preview had a very scary bit with Black Rose/Fake mum/ kidnapper witch saying she wanted Jenny disabled and returned to her so she'd never run away again. What a freaking terrifying monster that woman is. 

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@msmy, thanks for the information. I’m four episodes behind so I like reading summaries of what I missed. Hopefully with Ms. Naive getting involved with Song-ah, capable people like Dong-Joo and his detective partner might take an interest in her if Song-ah and her become friends and she mingles more with Kyung In and Dong-Joo. I don’t like that Eun Seok is risking his life for Ms. Naive considering that shady mom hates him with a passion and she’s capable of terrible things.

kekeke... am the opposite. am actually enjoying her zen nature. it makes a nice change of pace -- someone who is not angry or upset over the divorce and at same time, neither is she annoyingly cheerful. it is also kind of cool that she didn't need a romance to get to her zen state or any special friend. instead, it was just about accepting her grief and deciding to move on. more than eun seok and jenny, it is dong joo and song ah as a pairing that I really like. just old fashioned quiet maturity that will slowly simmer.

This so much. I really enjoy Song-Ah and you described her perfectly. She’s zen and because of her personality I enjoy her scenes. I’m looking forward to her and Dong Joo hooking up and Geum getting a new mom. I can’t even get this level of warmth in the last few weekend drama shows I have watched so I have nice hopes for these two good people especially since they’re both mature and no crazy MIL will interfere.

Her mom is what I feel a mom should be and I like her warm scenes with Geum. Kyung In is kind of too bubbly for me but I nevertheless like her too. Eun Ji amuses me and I like her too. Her mother mildly annoys me at times. I dislike shady mom and Jenny’s naivety tries my patience and some and I really wish Eun Seok wouldn’t get more involved in her crazy world. 

@Lmangla, like I mentioned before I haven’t watched the last four episodes yet so I can’t really make a judgment on the recent Jenny and Man Soo confrontation. However, I have said before that Jenny doesn’t seem to like Man Soo as a person nor does she want him involved in her life. Of course viewers see that he’s trying to help her but I think he should change his way of approaching her. I just feel that even if Man Soo is trying to help her he could do it quietly or through another party instead of showing up in front of her since she clearly doesn’t like him. Perhaps that method is worth a try since he insists on interfering in her life. I personally wished Eun Seok would just avoid this train wreck but since Jenny is the female lead I have to suck it up.

I have to sympathize with Jenny in that her life has been so programmed.  Her Mother has kept her on a tight leash for so long, and  then enter a prospective husband that shady Mom has picked out.  Jenny is so disturbed by the recent "accidents" that she now knows her mother orchestrated,  and  she is trying so hard to avoid the people that keep getting in her way.  Even Eun Suk, the love of her life, has the connections that bring her back to the conflicts.

Another revelation was that the bag of the deceased detective in Hong Kong has been recovered.  Kyung Soo (detective) will travel to Hong Kong to recover it as the  detective's family is not interested in having it.

Kyung In, sister reporter, has been approached by her old boss to do articles about Jenny since several pieces have been published about Jenny's disappearance.  She is excited, and I think will take the challenge.

Jenny  has taken on an alias, "Yeon Hee", when she called Song Ah.  In the preview,  after seeing a picture of Jenny, little Ma Eum tells Kyung In that that is the person that was at their house.  Kyung In is shocked.

@msmy, you almost make me want to sympathize with Jenny and I will try to make an effort to do so. I guess I just find her hard to relate to because she’s so easily duped and so out of this world naive about almost everything that pertains to life and living except perhaps fashion. The only time I see her act like a bold person is when she castigates Man Soo probably because she genuinely doesn’t like him as a person and so doesn’t care about his opinion of her. I hope she starts to learn about life soon because it’s hard to watch a female lead this naive and easily manipulated.

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Lmangla, like I mentioned before I haven’t watched the last four episodes yet so I can’t really make a judgment on the recent Jenny and Man Soo confrontation. However, I have said before that Jenny doesn’t seem to like Man Soo as a person nor does she want him involved in her life. Of course viewers see that he’s trying to help her but I think he should change his way of approaching her. I just feel that even if Man Soo is trying to help her he could do it quietly or through another party instead of showing up in front of her since she clearly doesn’t like him. Perhaps that method is worth a try since he insists on interfering in her life. I personally wished Eun Seok would just avoid this train wreck but since Jenny is the female lead I have to suck it up.

his approach could do with some more finesse but just feels like she is pouring out all her anger on him which is misdirected. she asks him what he will do if there are more accidents. LOL. it is not this fella who attacked her, but shady mom. so, why is she even posing the question to him? why not confront her mom? instead, when she misses shady mom, she thinks instead why they can't be together. LOL. so yea, most definitely brainwashed! :sweatingbullets:

dong joo's heart went dugun dugun with song ah and she also felt it a bit. it was kind of cute because it was such a normal kind of everyday event. it was not like she fell and he caught her or anything like that. kekekek... she just gave a bottle of jam that she had made and he said thanks, took the jam bottle full of etiquette (didn't even brush her hands) and then looked up, and dugun dugun went his heart. kekek...

he was already annoyed with eun ji and the scenes were hilarious. she kept trying to pull the chairman's granddaughter card and his response was "okay let me check with chairman" or "chairman gave his orders" and shut her down. :lol: dong joo was also concerned about the strangeness of kyung in's new boss and told her to quit if he acts funny towards her. hmmm, he will not be amused to find out about yong man's identity. 

4 hours ago, Bejaffled said:

She seems to have no problem expressing her thoughts to Man Soo. Jenny is a very frustrating FL. It's understandable that she wants her independence and Man Soo is a person she feels is on her fake mums side, but she doesn't ever listen to what he's trying to tell her and just behaves like the childlike stunted adult her fake mum says she is. Then with Eun Seuk, she seems to reciprocate his feelings but she's cool with letting him suffer. That seems pretty selfish to me. Plus in her tantrum with Man Soo, she said she'll just marry Eun Seuk. So he's like her rebellion/revenge? Not cool Jenny. He loves her. Proper loves her. I hope she doesn't marry him to spite her fake mum and MS, that should not be her motivation.

welcome to the thread! so how do you find the other characters? Jenny is going to be on the list of weird female leads. kekeke... hope she doesn't see eun seok as some sort of rebellion tactic because thats just kind of sad. it does not make a nice love story.

1 hour ago, msmy said:

Jenny  has taken on an alias, "Yeon Hee", when she called Song Ah.  In the preview,  after seeing a picture of Jenny, little Ma Eum tells Kyung In that that is the person that was at their house.  Kyung In is shocked.

kekeke... hard for me to sympathize with jenny as she's so blank. thought it would take longer for the truth to come out; guess jenny will move in then to song ah's house?

Things are heating up in episode 27;  need the subs for the whole story.  Anyway, Jenny has lunch with Song Ah and her mother.  Mother feels a connection immediately and can't stop staring at Jenny.  Song Ah shows Jenny the workroom, and Jenny,  alias "Yeon Hee, " agrees to work with SA.

Little Ma Eum is tossing and turning in bed, thinking that she has seen Jenny before.  She gets out the workbooks that Kyung In had while writing about Jenny, as sees the pictures of "Yeon Hee".  She tells KI that Jenny was there at lunch.   The word gets back to Song Ah, then to Eun Suk who goes to the place where Jenny is staying, but is accosted from behind.  Man Soo has been monitoring all of this all along.  Preview shows ES and someone getting into it during a car chase.  

does anyone else think that the actor who plays eun seok feels both young and old at the same time? hahahah.. so he has kind of a baby face but then there are moments, when he seems so mature and so is probably playing younger?

anyway, it was basically eun seok's episode - he bonds with dong joo over basketball and dinner but it was his chat with yong man that had me laughing. the two cousin brothers basically doing a one-upmanship on abs was hilarious. it seems like they are sort of fond of each other underneath and kind of react like two kids still.

does anyone else think that the actor who plays eun seok feels both young and old at the same time? hahahah.. so he has kind of a baby face but then there are moments, when he seems so mature and so is probably playing younger?

anyway, it was basically eun seok's episode - he bonds with dong joo over basketball and dinner but it was his chat with yong man that had me laughing. the two cousin brothers basically doing a one-upmanship on abs was hilarious. it seems like they are sort of fond of each other underneath and kind of react like two kids still.

But I found it funny that YM says ES has bulked up when ES is tiny in his HUGE suits and MASSIVE ties. 

Someone get that actor another stylist!

1 hour ago, tulip06 said:

But I found it funny that YM says ES has bulked up when ES is tiny in his HUGE suits and MASSIVE ties. 

Someone get that actor another stylist!

kekeke... there wasn't any abs that I saw other than a flat tummy. guess we will just have to take yongman's word that eun seok has finally got some muscle? ^_^

Holy cow!   Even Jenny wants to know what Man Soo"s game is, and why he didn't tell her mother where she was when he knew.  In the preview she tells Eun Suk that Man Soo is even scarier than her mother.  I can't even imagine where she is going to hide or be protected from those two.  Eun Suk is going to have to  up his game and get Dong Joo involved.

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

kekeke... there wasn't any abs that I saw other than a flat tummy. guess we will just have to take yongman's word that eun seok has finally got some muscle? ^_^

Eun Seok is so tiny!  :blush:

Jenny is safely at Song Ah's house where they have a nice room for her.  Eun Suk took her there, and on the way out he met Dong Joo, who explained he was living there.  I think ES is relieved.  Kyung In is filling Dong Joo in about everything and Jenny.

Shady Mom had her incompetent goon put a tracking device on ES's car, and after a short car chase, ES stopped and got tough with the weenie, who ran away.  End of episode has ES confronting Man Soo, and I think ES really wants to marry Jenny as he has a diamond ring.

finally someone with brain; Jenny is so spaced out. she casually mentions to eun seok that man soo knows but hasn't told but she doesn't seem very stressed or weirded out by it. eun seok on the other hand is like "what????" and asks "so does that mean he is trying to protect you?"... and their confrontation at the end was fun because eun seok is basically throwing down man soo's facade of dutiful son-in-law mask and is asking who is man soo. hopefully we will get some details about man soo next week because he is easily turning out to be the most interesting. he also gave a little tease by telling shady mom that song ah used to yongman's wife. but then he deleted song ah's file. it almost feels like he is trying to build a domino effect of bringing down shady mom by putting one piece after another.

I'm convinced now that Man Soo's plot of marrying Jenny is nothing more than a way of access to Shady Mom.  With a rival like Eun Suk, he is losing the ability to carry out a revenge plan.  That slow drip of information about Song Ah and Song Ah's past is just enough to set shady Mom off to start triggering some panic waves and make her pretty nervous.  You could hear her screaming in the preview, "That's why I didn't want to come back to Korea!"   We aren't even to episode 30 yet, so it's hard to predict what is going to happen when this is coming out already.

Archived