Quantcast
Jump to content
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모 - Mon to Fri 8:40 KST

Recommended Posts

@Lmangla, I can’t agree with Man Soo’s justification for hiding the truth from Jenny. If she continues to live in lalaland when exactly would she gain the strength to face the truth about shady mom? People don’t just access strength without first facing a crucible that forces them to get stronger even if it’s little by little. From all that we have been shown so far, I agree with Eun Seok that ignoring the small things can lead to something worse in the future and I’m sure Mrs Marple and Hercule Poirot would agree with him. :lol:

 

As to Jenny and Man Soo, my take on their relationship is that Jenny cannot stand him. It’s quite evident to me even before Eun Seok came into the picture. That’s why I can certainly believe that Man Soo has some hidden stake in latching onto Jenny come hell or high water because she doesn’t treat him well at all. ;)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@celebrianna ~ we will have to watch further to see how it plays out but at least for now, man soo does not come across as pathetic but rather very shrewd. so I actually got where he was coming from. have watched these crime documentaries where someone put a hit on a person and the police withheld the information till they could catch the suspect. so the police just watch and keep surveillance on the potential victim. they felt that informing the victim might result in more harm as they would confront the suspect or alert the suspect in some way.

 

so thats the vibe I got from man soo -- and like you said, jenny so far has not shown any back bone. she has lived with shady mom all these years but has never questioned some of the irregularities. so whether she is capable of defending herself is a real question. eun seok is point blank telling her that she should consider moving to korea and he will try and find a way to protect her. but jenny doesn't seem to really get how much danger she actually is in.

 

what I found really interesting about the vibe between man soo and jenny is that she uses him as a cover and she knows he will protect her. so take how she asked him to give her some space so that she could go out with eun seok. if he was a typical second lead, we wouldn't see this scene. and he lies for her that they went out for a walk. and she expected him to. it was not like she was surprised.

 

and he also lied that he got hit by some random punk rather than eun seok. we don't see jenny shaking in her boots thinking man soo is going to reveal the truth. instead she is more mad about the confrontation between the two. so jenny herself knows that man soo is on her side. he ensures that she can get as much as possible from shady mom and he does it in a subtle manner like when he tells shady mom that eun seok would have left on plane already and so it is okay to let jenny walk home. so just from their interaction this episode, it felt like this is something man soo has routinely done.

 

it is also quite clear that if man soo wasn't in the picture, shady mom would be hunting for some other rich bloke to get jenny married to and jenny may meekly go along as she has no choice. in that sense, man soo has ensured that jenny is the one in control of her romantic life. we will have to wait and see whose approach is better -- eun seok or man soo. but till jenny actually does something about her life, it really doesn't matter whether these men have her interest at heart.

 

as for man soo's true objective, am looking forward to finding out what exactly it is. he is turning out to be a very different and interesting second lead. ^_^

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lmangla, great post. Man Soo may indeed be shrewd but I actually think he looked genuinely hurt in this episode so that’s why I say he’s behaving pathetic by basically forcing his advances on Jenny. I do indeed see that Jenny trusts him not to tell her shady mom about her disobedience but I see it more like Jenny knows that she can actually take advantage of his professed feelings for her. Nevertheless, since we don’t know enough about these characters yet, I think your perspective is also possible and true. So, as a makjang lover, how do you find this show? ^_^

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lmangla I agree, I was wondering why Mansoo wasn’t defending himself more, and then you pointed out how Jenny was not that smart.

 

Plus, Jenny is finding Mansoo hateful, like @celebrianna says, but it seems, as @Lmangla says, that she can trust him to help her out. That means he has done so before.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

So, as a makjang lover, how do you find this show? ^_^

am really enjoying it! hahahha.... so there's enough twists and turns to surprise you and none of the characters are acting in a typical fashion. there is both the familiar feel as well feeling really fresh. can't think of a drama where the female lead basically asks the second lead, her sort of fiance, to cover for her so that she can go on a date with the first lead. LOL. put that way, it sounds quite scandalous no?

 

wish more would have the patience to check out a daily drama because it feels like this is going to be good ride and we are all going to enjoy it despite the inevitable lapses in logic and loose ends that will happen along the way. what about others here? what are your impressions of the drama? good, bad, ugly?

  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting for more and more flashbacks to fill in the empty spaces of this whole saga.  Man Soo claimed he knew Jenny for 10 years, which would have put her at age 19.  We don't know what happened to Man Soo after his father was killed and he was a little boy.  So many stones left unturned.  :(

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmy said:

I'm waiting for more and more flashbacks to fill in the empty spaces of this whole saga.  Man Soo claimed he knew Jenny for 10 years, which would have put her at age 19.  We don't know what happened to Man Soo after his father was killed and he was a little boy.  So many stones left unturned.  :(

yea. it makes it kind of fun that the story seems to be layered so we are getting details little by little. already 19 episodes flew by. so am wondering how man soo will end up back in korea as well. jenny will probably run off to korea but will man soo come to manage his hotel there? and wild idea -- won't it be fun if man soo ends up with kyung in? much better combo than yongman and kyung in..... at least it would far less awkward dinner. hahahahah.... :lol:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

yea. it makes it kind of fun that the story seems to be layered so we are getting details little by little. already 19 episodes flew by. so am wondering how man soo will end up back in korea as well. jenny will probably run off to korea but will man soo come to manage his hotel there? and wild idea -- won't it be fun if man soo ends up with kyung in? much better combo than yongman and kyung in..... at least it would far less awkward dinner. hahahahah.... :lol:

I wouldn’t mind that at all. The writer probably won’t do it though because a lot of the times in drama land the second lead stays hooked on the object of his/her affection almost or right to the very end.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I wouldn’t mind that at all. The writer probably won’t do it though because a lot of the times in drama land the second lead stays hooked on the object of his/her affection almost or right to the very end.

 

man soo is really interesting second lead. while he seemed genuinely sad, in the previous episodes, the guy had a kind of hard glint in his eye when he found out about the pickpocket and firecracker incident. so maybe he does like her a bit romantically but it is not enough to budge him from his long term objective. he is not jumping in to save jenny unlike eun seok who is all fired up. and he only punched eun seok when eun seok called him a stalker -- so perhaps this whole pursuing jenny when she clearly isn't interested doesn't sit well with him either. since his objective seems more important than jenny, maybe he won't be hooked till the end? don't know but am already hoping he will have a happy ending -- man soo already seems a bit tragic. hahahaha....

 

while eun seok is still a bit bland, isn't it great to have a lead who is smart -- he put it right. jenny is trapped but doesn't even know it. jenny on the other hand is one lala land character. a female lead who is truly kind of dumb. LOL.

  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else think that Jenny’s mother may try to make Jenny think she is mentally unstable after seeing the preview today?  She has hinted at it to people before but when Jenny questioned her in the preview I felt she was going to tell Jenny that she is imagining things. 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pam_Van Fossen said:

Did anyone else think that Jenny’s mother may try to make Jenny think she is mentally unstable after seeing the preview today?  She has hinted at it to people before but when Jenny questioned her in the preview I felt she was going to tell Jenny that she is imagining things. 

 

 

the question is whether jenny will buy it. eun seok was smart in that he actually bought evidence in the form of phone and video recordings. however, it would be easy for shady mom to say that it was fabricated and jenny is gullible. am curious to see how jenny will come to korea at this stage. maybe she will run away because shady mom tries to make it seem like jenny is not mentally stable?

 

by the way, what are your impressions of the other characters in the drama? how are you finding the drama so far? also tagging @joccu @dulceres @lu09  and anyone else who is watching this drama... curious to hear your impressions.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lmangla, I wouldn’t mind at all Man Soo getting a happy ending but I just feel like as usual the writer will have him side with shady mom if it really turns out that she’s his mother. I really hope this isn’t the case but it’s so common in drama. Right now while I like Man Soo, I can also see the potential for him to turn “no good” under the writer’s pen depending on if things do not go his way or as he planned. I hope this isn’t the case though because shady mom is more than enough dastardly character for this show. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@Lmangla, I wouldn’t mind at all Man Soo getting a happy ending but I just feel like as usual the writer will have him side with shady mom if it really turns out that she’s his mother. I really hope this isn’t the case but it’s so common in drama. Right now while I like Man Soo, I can also see the potential for him to turn “no good” under the writer’s pen depending on if things do not go his way or as he planned. I hope this isn’t the case though because shady mom is more than enough dastardly character for this show. 

the last daily I watched, the villain character had a very interesting arc after she turned from her greed. it was quite unexpected and actually done very well. so one never knows with daily dramas. so it will be interesting to watch man soo and see what happens.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lmangla this is pretty good daily. I'm still couple episodes behind. summer holiday.. :D 

I don't like jenny. She's too gullible for my liking. Hope she improves. I like EUn seok and the former cop(never can't remember his name) 

and my favorite is still man soo. If he really is the shady mom real son I hope that he doesn't take her side.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there is no episode tonight :weary:.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, joccu said:

@Lmangla this is pretty good daily. I'm still couple episodes behind. summer holiday.. :D 

I don't like jenny. She's too gullible for my liking. Hope she improves. I like EUn seok and the former cop(never can't remember his name) 

and my favorite is still man soo. If he really is the shady mom real son I hope that he doesn't take her side.

My thoughts too.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally caught up with all the episodes and wow I’m really into this drama! I love how the main character is not stupid he actually realised what’s going on and investigates he even realised his cousin is his secretary to spy on him! Finally a smart character ! 

 

Man Su or however you spell his name is an ansolute psycho he is literally stalking Jenny and pretending to be her fiancé how much creepy can he get! I think that he knows that Jenny is not Wang’s biological daughter and that’s why he got a DNA test done with her actual sister, it’s still early days but that’s my theory so far, due to wht he saw as a kid he definitely has deep psychological trauma so no wonder he’s creepy

 

I absolutely love the mother and daughter duo living with that family who were basically destined to meet honestly so cute I think the man and the divorced daughter will end up together and will be a cute family! His sister however will end up working as Man Su secretary unfortunately which don’t think will end up well for her!

 

Absolutely hate Jenny’s mum she’s so evil definitely black rose! In her day dream she mentioned a doctor and Jenny was really scared I think that doctor did something to make Jenny forget her real family or something 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 2:36 AM, Lmangla said:

the question is whether jenny will buy it. eun seok was smart in that he actually bought evidence in the form of phone and video recordings. however, it would be easy for shady mom to say that it was fabricated and jenny is gullible. am curious to see how jenny will come to korea at this stage. maybe she will run away because shady mom tries to make it seem like jenny is not mentally stable?

 

by the way, what are your impressions of the other characters in the drama? how are you finding the drama so far? also tagging @joccu @dulceres @lu09  and anyone else who is watching this drama... curious to hear your impressions.

@Lmangla, so far I am liking the drama.  I do feel they made Jenny a little bit too dumb to be a famous designer.  It is probably the after affect of the brainwashing her supposed mother has done to her.  I sure hope she gets stronger and fights for her freedom.  She is an adult and doesn't need her mother for everything.  She is already famous..  I am loving Eun Suk, he fell in love at first sight with Jenny and is determined to protect her.  I also love Dong Joo, he will be the perfect husband for Song A now that she is divorced from Young Man.  Not sure what she saw in him to begin with.  :)  Also, his daughter is so cute and mature for her age.  She is wonderful with Song A's mother too.  Others have thought that Young In, Dong Joo's sister may end up with Young Man, but I think she deserves much better than a man like him.  His mother is also another character that I dislike.  She thinks Young Man is so great but he is nothing compared to Eun Suk.  He has had a chance to run the company while Eun Suk was in Japan and he messed it up.  Now, the grandfather, whom I love, is not going to let him have another chance.  I sort of like Man Soo because he is interesting and mysterious.  I do think he has been watching and trying to protect Jenny without her mother knowing about it.  After the incident at the fashion show in Japan, it showed him immediately trying to find out what happened.  He did the same when he heard about the pick pocket incident.  He is handling it discreetly because he doesn't want to anger Jenny's mother.  I think he is just collecting all the evidence against her to someday get his revenge.  I do believe she is his biological mother and he feels she is responsible for his father's death.  My only concern with this is that it may make him half brothers with Eun Suk.   There sure are a lot of twists and turns in this drama so far.  I am enjoying watching and catching up with all of you on here as we watch together.  :)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pam_Van Fossen said:

I do believe she is his biological mother and he feels she is responsible for his father's death.  My only concern with this is that it may make him half brothers with Eun Suk

I believe too that shady mom is Man Soo's bio mother but how does this make him half brother with Eun Suk ? Did I miss anything ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...