[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

I watched the raw episode and it seems like Man Soo’s dad was murdered right in front of him when he was a kid. So whatever his motive, it might be tied to his father’s death. It seems like Eun Seok will hire Dong Joo’s friend to investigate shady mom and the pickpocket. In the preview he showed the investigator the video of shady mom watching the attack on Jenny and later on Dong Joo and the PI were looking at shady mom on the video and talking about it. 

My least enjoyable part of the episode is again Jenny. Young Man and his sister met by chance at a nightclub. That guy really must not know what love is because he was dumped and it doesn’t even seem to make an impression on him except for the embarrassment of knowing he was played.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhhh, so MS knows SA personally. The preview shows MS looking shocked when shady lady shows him the picture. He was somehow at SA wedding. Guess they know each other. Then does this mean that he is not behind the texts?

finally subs are out. @celebrianna ~ man soo didn't just see his father killed but he also had a different name, kyung woo. the people who killed his dad was searching for a woman and he denied knowing her whereabouts. so they said didn't you have a child with her? -- so is man soo supposed to be shady mom's kid? is that why he has been more focused on wooing shady mom rather than jenny? does he know if jenny is actually related to him? it is getting knottier!

dong joo and song ah had their first cute moment. she was coming back from the grocery store and they went home together in his bike. it was cute. dong joo also said that because he was assisting chairman for personal stuff, he was not supposed to tell people what he was working on etc. so will he working sort of undercover? letting people assume that he is just a delivery man? wonder how that will impact the investigations.

and jenny sort of redeemed herself where she called the police and found out there was no case filed. she was smart enough to withhold the info eun seok regarding the cctv footage but she totally fell for shady mom's crocodile tears. so guess jenny is back to being passive? ^_^ it is almost a bit of comedy now! hahahha...

@lu09 ~ am still thinking that man soo is suspicious and maybe he did send the texts. if he knew song ah, then easy to send her pic no? also, he has no family but somehow he went from kyung woo to man soo, hotel millionaire with extraordinary background. and he says that he fell in love. so who did he fall in love with? for some reason, am already feeling a wee bit sorry for him and hope that he has somewhat good ending but would that be possible.

@Lmangla, I haven’t watched the subbed episode yet since I’m still at work but I feel the same way about Man Soo. Watching his dad die like that must have been a terrible experience. Jenny falling for her mother’s fake tears had me rolling my eyes and fast forwarding through that scene in the raw episode. I just didn’t have the patience to watch the whole scene. I’m liking Song-Ah and Dong Joo very much. I’m guessing that Kyung In must have told him about Song-ah’s marriage because his reaction seem to correspond with that.

One thing I would like this drama to stop, is the constant reminders of who died before.  We know now.  Stop going on about it, character by character.  Yes, we know, Kyung Ah - Kyung In, child replacement, new boyfriend, new joint family, blah blah blah, he lost his wife, she lost her child, that lady lost her daughter, someone is replacing someone else for someone and they're all in one big happy house now but we must still keep saying the same story again and again.  Is the writer lacking product placement?

@tulip06 you will have to make do today because I watched the raw episode and Song-ah’s mom kept mentioning Kyung-ah’s name. :lol:

Anyway, the private investigator and Dong Joo met the cop who was on the pickpocket case and a lot was said perhaps including the fact that the investigation was stopped by someone. They all found it suspicious it seems.

Song-ah and Dong Joo continue to get to know each other better. Kyung In and Ma Eum invited Song-ah’s mom over for dinner. Their family seem to be getting closer.

Ms. Naive seem to have believed everything her mom said so she deleted Kyung In’s phone number from her phone. She and Eun Seok talked for a bit and I almost got the impression that she wanted to tell Eun Seok to stop investigating. Meanwhile I’m thinking why does Eun Seok have to get further involved with this family. 

Shady mom showed Song-ah’s picture to Man Soo and to me it seems like he was pretending not to know who the woman in the picture is. Later when he was alone in his office, a flashback shows him looking at Song-ah intensely while she’s photographed in her wedding gown. I’m now wondering if he’s in love with Ms. Naive or did he fall for Song-ah.

@tulip06 ~ well there was a possible product placement for kiwis? it was kind of subtle and so I wasn't sure if it was PPL. hahahahha... but yea, it wouldn't be a daily till we get a rehash every now and then. so what do you think of the drama so far?

@celebrianna ~ man soo not just lied about knowing song ah but he looks like he knew her sort of even before he saw her at the wedding 11 years ago. at least his look were kind of speculative. @lu09 ~ it looks like man soo most likely is the one sending the texts because he flat out lied to shady mom. it is kind of funny how she is spinning the story that a VIP client is being threatened and his question is "well does she have something to hide?" bwahahahah... and private detective is just puzzled by the whole pick pocketing case and was shocked that shady mom was connected to jenny. his head couldn't just wrap his head around it...

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

She and Eun Seok talked for a bit and I almost got the impression that she wanted to tell Eun Seok to stop investigating. Meanwhile I’m thinking why does Eun Seok have to get further involved with this family. 

yea, she looked like she wants to tell him to stop but doesn't have the guts. as for your question, it is a great point. the way he put it to jenny makes it clear that it is not solely about her concern or that he is in love with her or something. instead, he says something curious -- if you ignore because it is uncomfortable, then at some point, it can change your fate. so makes me wonder how his upbringing as a child and son of a policeman impacted him. because that is the sort of thing someone in that kind of field may notice and immediately chase. also we don't know how exactly his father was killed and what clues he missed or chased on the black rose case...

@celebrianna They toned down the reminders of all the dead a bit today, thank goodness,  but I don’t think they will stop yet!

@Lmangla the kiwis were rather obvious!

My thoughts on Man Soo, who I think is rather amazing and now my favorite character:

1. The men who attacked his father said the father had a child with that witch. I think they were talking about the Black Rose who is the Shady Mom. Doesn’t that mean Man Soo is probably Shady Mom’s son? 

2. I think Man Soo is in love with Song Ah, but she is also part of his revenge plan. 

3. How old is Man Soo? He somehow owns these amazing hotels around the world and yet he can’t be more than in his early 30s, right? Is that possible?

4. He has, in between amassing a hotel empire, figured out who the woman is behind his father’s death and the other connections and is playing a double game all around. Triple, even, the name of his hotel. Nice one, my man, nice one. I root for you now. 

@tulip06 I don’t want Man Soo to be shady mom’s son but I guess it is in fact likely. The reason I’m against it is because then he will be sympathetic to her. Even if he has revenge in mind, just because she’s his mother he will probably side with her eventually. I also think he likes Song-Ah. The scene played off as though he found her attractive by the way he was gazing at her. Maybe his revenge can also be against J Group and Song-Ah was marrying into J Group.

@Lmangla didn’t Dong Joo tell Kyung In that Eun Seok’s father died by stab wounds while tracking down Black Rose? I feel like he mentioned it to her yesterday.

At the end of this episode, sitting alone,  Man Soo distinctly said, "Yes, Mother."  He did not address her as MIL.  I'm thinking that he is shady Mom's  son, and he has some bitterness at being abandoned.  Also, could he have seen his mother from time to time as a child, and possibly witnessed his mother kidnapping Song Ah's sister?   He may have kept track of  Song Ah  through the years, as she did not know him at her wedding.  I don't believe he would have any sympathy for a "mother" who abandoned him and replaced him with a child she kidnapped to help her in her  life of crime.  More and more mysteries yet to be uncovered.

I like the pace as by now, I think,  everybody knows everybody.  Through his sister, Dong Joo knows of Jenny and her mother, and he  soon will meet up with Eun Suk.  I look forward to seeing how the information gets sorted out once everybody gets their heads together.^_^

@msmy, I haven’t watched the subbed episode yet (I’m at work) but I didn’t realize that he confirmed to viewers that shady mom is his mother. Heh. That’s interesting and I guess I can accept it. I still think he’ll be sympathetic towards his mother because this is not a Western show. ^_^ To me Asian shows go to great length to show children as filial. I can’t imagine covering for a family member who commit crimes but it’s often the case in Asian drama. It’s something that I cannot relate to at all. :blink: So that’s why I feel that eventually he will side with his mother. Somebody has to be on her side because a lot of characters won’t be on her side.

@celebrianna... that very well could be.  Right now he's viewed as the "good guy" and getting a lot of sympathy, but in the end, could this be a plot for revenge?  Time will tell.

Another point I was pondering is that we have not ever heard anything at all about Song Ah's father/Ji Hwa Ja's husband.  Could shady Mom have been a home-wrecker also?  That would make Man Soo and Song Ah half siblings.  For some reason, Man Soo admires Song Ah.

6 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@msmy, I haven’t watched the subbed episode yet (I’m at work) but I didn’t realize that he confirmed to viewers that shady mom is his mother. Heh. That’s interesting and I guess I can accept it. I still think he’ll be sympathetic towards his mother because this is not a Western show. ^_^ To me Asian shows go to great length to show children as filial. I can’t imagine covering for a family member who commit crimes but it’s often the case in Asian drama. It’s something that I cannot relate to at all. :blink: So that’s why I feel that eventually he will side with his mother. Somebody has to be on her side because a lot of characters won’t be on her side.

I’m pretty sure I heard MIL when I replayed it just now, but the way MS said it, was kind of sarcastic.

Just see the last episode,  it is me or Kyung In  is interested in Songh's ex-husband:joy::bawling:, because of the way she only asks the questions and Song Ah's mother speaks negatively about it, pairing happens. I think it might be interesting if the scenarists put young man and  Kyung In together;  :flushed:

On the one hand, the mother of young man will be furious that he is going to a poor girl, on the other hand the brother of Kyung In will be upset and shocked to know that this is the ex-husband of the woman whose he fell in love, and on the side of Song Ah I just think she will be a little upset  at first. In the end the redemption of young man can be done in relation to the death of his daughter, we have not shown what he has felt so far but Kyung In will be there to see :grimace::bawling::joy:

kekeke.. @marrez1 ~ kyung in just seems bored, jobless and bit of a gossip queen! :joy:... would not be surprised if she tries to play matchmaker between dong joo and song ah -- she seemed so disappointed that the two just had coffee and not dinner. hahahah...

song ah and dong joo's coffee date had a lovely old fashioned somber feel to it that was nice to watch. it was lovely to see her enjoying the motorbike ride like she was letting go... but does anyone know how she ended up with young man who seems so immature in comparison to her?

Archived