[Drama 2019] A Place in the Sun, 태양의 계절

0ly40

Subs are out! It was an excellent episode! I am so glad that they did not  drag this out. The misunderstanding between the leads only lasted from the beginning till the end of the episode. I have never been a fan of a daily drama, but this one finally has me hooked. I am waking up super early to live stream from S. Korea. I am loving this drama!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me start of by making a jab at the prop department of this show. Thanks to them it seems like Mr. Sun is an avid book collector. In his study alone he seems to have atleast three copies of Pride and Prejudice and another two copies of another book. He must really like collecting all the various editions of all his favorite books.

Now on to the drama itself.

Spoiler

First of all I am glad that Mr. Sun finally knows the entire truth and not the half-truths that Shi Wol has been feeding him till now and more importantly than that he still knows that she still loves him. He just needs to tell her that he feels the same way as well. Regardless of all this let’s not get all our hopes up and expect the main leads to end up together so soon. As many have pointed out that we are just at the halfway point of this show so that isn’t going to happen. They still have a lot of obstacles to overcome before they get back together.

Namely their current clingy and selfish significant others who won’t be willing to let them go. This also just goes to show how different the main leads are from their partners. While they may be selfish and all the main leads are their opposites. They say that opposites attract but in this case that probably isn’t true (or is it). Let’s take Shi Wol as an example she is completely unselfish compared to Duck. For Shi Wol her own happiness comes second compared to those she cares for. For instance, when she was planning on revealing everything to Mr. Sun in regards to Jimin and all she didn’t the moment he told her that he was about to become a father and was getting married. At that point his happiness became more important than her own. Had she been selfish like Duck she would have revealed this fact to him and let him feel conflicted in his duties as a parent. Shi Wol does have her issues and I might get to them later on.

Another thing that both these characters’ share is that they don’t willingly want to hurt others. In this case they wouldn’t to hurt Duck unless she gives them significant cause to do so. In this way I doubt that Shi Wol will try and convince him to divorce Duck so that they can be together. That just isn’t in Shi Wols personality if she does she is going to feel guilty for the rest of her life thinking that she stole someone else’s man and said person’s happiness. We already saw that she initially felt guilty for deceiving Kwang Ill till recently. So it will probably be the same here as well. I doubt that Shi Wol is even intimidated by Duck’s threats. Infact the only one that one should take seriously is the one where she threatens to kill everyone. Her threat of exposing Shi Wol’s affair is only going to backfire on her big time.

Sure everyone is going to get shocked at such a reveal (atleast those that aren’t aware of said fact). But Duck might not get the response that she wants. At this point Shi Wol can reveal everything to the family in regards to Mr. Sun. This means the family will now have the option of taking back Mr. Sun into the family but also choosing who they want as their Daughter In Law. Meaning they can either get a new DiL (accepting Duck as a part of their family) or keep the current one. In other words, telling Duck to get a divorce as they like and prefer Shi Wol. Not only that but Shi Wol also has the blessing of that Fortune Teller something that Duck doesn’t have. In this case it would probably be a no brainer on who they would pick. Meaning that Duck would be out of luck. I guess this means that she will have to resort to her other threat.

Mr. Sun is also similar he may have married her due to their daughter but now he is going to stay with her out of obligation. He has already told her that he isn’t going to leave her even after their daughter died. Granted that this was before he discovered about Jimin but I doubt that he is suddenly going to change. In fact, he has a good way out he can blame her mother for wanting to divorce her but he probably won’t. whatever her issues were she probably was a good wife and did her wifely duties well so he can’t just abandon her for the crimes that her mother committed. She was innocent in said crimes as well as unaware of them so to punish her for said crimes is probably wrong so he therefore might not go for a divorce as of now. Things will drastically change if she threatens or tries to harm Jimin. Both parents will show their protective sides and try and protect him from all those that try and harm him. They may then demand a divorce but not until then.

Another reason why we shouldn’t expect a divorce from the main leads is because of Jimin. They probably don’t want to confuse him as it is. The only father that he knows is Kwang Ill to suddenly reveal to him that Mr. Sun is his father might be a bit shocking to him and we have no idea how it will affect him. They probably need to wait a few years to reveal it to him so that he can understand everything even then taking away the father that he has known all this time is just bad and wrong. Something that we can see Shi Wol attempting with Kwang Ill in the next episode when she is asking him about his birth mother. Kwang Ill gave the proper response that the only mother that he knows is the one that raised him all along. (Granted he assumes that his Bio Mother not only abandoned him but is also dead).

The Goof Troop are still idiots it seems can’t say much for Jieun’s dad. Seems like he is also going to be taken for a ride by the Grandfather. What all these people need to do is get a written contract by the grandfather that he is going to give them what he has promised this way the grandfather can’t get out his part of the bargain. While we know that verbal agreements can be constituted as a contract it is always best to have a written one as a backup so that the other party can’t back out at the last moment claiming that there is no evidence that such a contract/promise ever existed. Jieun is already in bad books with her family and this is only going to make things worse for her when said family takes a loss because of her. Then again why should I really care what happens to the Goof Troop. They will get what they deserve. The only one that I feel bad is Jieun’s kid that has been traumatized because of that maid. I am also starting to wonder what is with that bear that he carries. Is it like what others suspect that it has a recording device in it so that the maid can overhear their conversations and plot against them.

Speaking of the maid it seems like she is finally starting to make her move to break up the family. LoL she thinks that Tae Joon is still having an affair with Miran and that is why she is their neighbor. This was something that was Mr. Sun’s doing even though it wasn’t intentional on his part. Regardless if this means that Jung Hee starts to question her husband’s actions and suspect him of having an affair even if it isn’t true. I won’t mind. This just means that she will kick him to the curb all that quicker. Finally, Tae Joon is demanding the maid to use her shares for Kwang Ills sake. Was wondering why he didn’t do that earlier and the maid is rebelling since she probably needs them for her nephew to take the throne.

But I do have to wonder Tae Joon claimed that she siphoned of company money to purchase those shares in the first place so she shouldn’t complain about any loss that she would incur. But is that really the case? Just how did she manage to do that. How did she get access to the company money? To me it is far more believable that the grandfather funded her unwillingly. Remember he has bought her numerous things as gifts which include paintings and a building which was supposed to be on a prime spot. She could have used said items to sell and then purchase said shares. In other words, those shares were rightfully purchased by her. The only crime that she has committed is hiding those shares under assumed names and all. Regardless Tae Joon has bitten of more than he can chew. I just hope that the merger is not only stopped but Shi Wol can earn her freedom from that house. Then again she probably needs to remain to do damage control and get the kids reunited with their birth parents etc

If Duck actually loved Mr. Sun she would also either let him go and be with the person that actually makes him happy or if not this let him do his parental duties towards Jimin. Her preventing him from doing any of this is only going to make him despise her more.

Anyway that will be all from me for now. Take care till next time and keep posting.

9 minutes ago, yamiyugi said:

If Duck actually loved Mr. Sun she would also either let him go and be with the person that actually makes him happy or if not this let him do his parental duties towards Jimin. Her preventing him from doing any of this is only going to make him despise her more.

I love how you keep calling her Duck :joy: but you’re right about the difference about the brother and sister and the main leads they aren’t selfish like them I mean they are super clingy hiring photographers to track them 

@calledtoteach

I hope that Ms. Yang's nephew (may be her son or not and I hope not  and not with the grandfather/old chairman). No more complications please.

Maybe her son with Choi Tae Joon ?!?! I don't think so. There is no indication of this.

Ms. Yang did want to leave the Jang household. I think she is sick and wants to live with her nephew/son? for the time she has left as she has devoted all her life to Yangji Corporation family.   or she wants to leave since she has been able to buy enough Yangji Corporation shares.  What I cannot understand is why hide it and buy it in a different name? Considering that she must have bought it from legitimate funding like her salary and bonuses. I don't think the Grandfather was stingy towards her. He even gave her a building.

Besides she seems to have a crush on Mr. Jung (shaman/fortune teller) so I believe she is an old maid through and through with no kids and the nephew is really just her nephew. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:35 PM, jayakris said:

On the argument above on this - actually she did not exactly say that he destroyed SW's life.  "Because of you, her life got ruined" is what she said.  Like @dramaninja said, it would be too much for her to say that he did anything in it.  But it is correct for her to say that SW's life got ruined "because of him" - though it wasn't his fault, but SW's own fault.  The assistant's point was that YW should see it the right way.   The "because of you" (너 때문에) is more like "on account of you" here, and it seems TY took it that way, and didn't argue with her... So @angelwingssf is justified too, in loving how she kicked butt :) ....

How is it SW's own fault?  She thought YW was dead and was doing the best for their son.  He let her continue thinking he was dead.  His friend planted the idea in his head that SW betrayed him and he ran with that.  

2 hours ago, O said:

How is it SW's own fault?  She thought YW was dead and was doing the best for their son.  He let her continue thinking he was dead.  His friend planted the idea in his head that SW betrayed him and he ran with that.  

Poor choice of words by me.  I meant it was of her own doing, and not caused by YW.  Not exactly her fault, so you are right.   I guess one can fault her for poor judgment and for being rash, but that was not my point and I was not trying to blame her.  Just that he certainly can't be blamed.

Chingu’s I was wondering if anyone can tell me the name of the artist and song title for this song so I can buy it. I want to add it to my music library. I love this song in this scene. 

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975ed21f75ad6981618a

This scene was just to explain the state of mind that Shi Wol was in at the time of KYW’s death. The rage and pain she was suffering. It felt so raw for me. She isn’t excusing her friend bad decisions but wants the person her friend made these terrible decisions to understand Shi Wol. 

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8973a17163aad280d494e

Funniest scene between the leads best friends  

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c89743be219578a09218f5

2 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Stupid mom always putting her hands on someone she  going to feel real stupid soon

http://program.kbs.co.kr/2tv/drama/aplaceinthesun/pc/board.html?smenu=9725de&bbs_loc=T2019-0122-01-130845,read,,59,796441

Blurb at the KBS site for Ep 60 (Tuesday) - 시월은 태준을 찾아가 이혼문제를 해결해 달라고 말하고, 태준은 지민이를 후계자로 키우겠다는 광일과 대립하는데.. 정희는 우연히 두 사람의 대화를 듣고 지민이 친손자가 아니라는 사실을 알게 되고 충격에 빠진다. 한편, 태양은 정희에게 모든 사실을 말하겠다는 시월에게 밝히지 말라고 하는데....

Translation: SW goes to CTJ and asks him to wrap up the divorce issue, and CTJ locks horns with KI who says he will raise JM as the successor. JH accidentally hears the two guys and is shocked that JM is not her real grandson.  Meanwhile, SW says to TY that she will tell JH all the facts, but TY asks her not to reveal them.

Argh...  So the misery continues for SW, who just can't get it over with by revealing everything.  Now it is TY who asks her to keep it all a secret.  The poor lady may have to take more slaps, I guess....

By the way, what happened to the scene of DS meeting SW outside her office that we thought would be more ugliness today?  I thought it was in the preview, but wasn't there in today's E59.

13 minutes ago, jayakris said:

Blurb at the KBS site for Ep 60 (Tuesday) - 시월은 태준을 찾아가 이혼문제를 해결해 달라고 말하고, 태준은 지민이를 후계자로 키우겠다는 광일과 대립하는데.. 정희는 우연히 두 사람의 대화를 듣고 지민이 친손자가 아니라는 사실을 알게 되고 충격에 빠진다. 한편, 태양은 정희에게 모든 사실을 말하겠다는 시월에게 밝히지 말라고 하는데....

Translation: SW goes to CTJ and asks him to wrap up the divorce issue, and CTJ locks horns with KI who says he will raise JM as the successor. JH accidentally hears the two guys and is shocked that JM is not her real grandson.  Meanwhile, SW says to TY that she will tell JH all the facts, but TY asks her not to reveal them.

Argh...  So the misery continues for SW, who just can't get it over with by revealing everything.  Now it is TY who asks her to keep it all a secret.  The poor lady may have to take more slaps, I guess....

By the way, what happened to the scene of DS meeting SW outside her office that we thought would be more ugliness today?  I thought it was in the preview, but wasn't there in today's E59.

I think I can understand  TY I dont think he is quite prepare  nor doe she really know his mother or maybe even trust his mother.

Remember all this stuff happened so fast for him.

Archived