Quantcast
Jump to content
larus

[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nateko said:

Let's be honest, Ji Sung can make me watch anything, I'm a huge fan of his. The way he stares at the female lead... hot damn :joy: 

When I checked yesterday to see what other work JS had done, I realized that he was the ML in a somewhat naughty movie that I saw and oh my goodness.....  :sweatingbullets:

 

Anyone else watch this?  

Spoiler

My PS Partner.  (this movie is apparently also known as Watcha Wearin'?)  And he's mostly naked in one scene.

 

Is it warm in here?  ;)

 

12 hours ago, nona88 said:

my favorite  dramas you most watch

 

Thanks!  I will definitely be checking out more of his roles.

  • Like 2
  • Naughty 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, thistle said:

When I checked yesterday to see what other work JS had done, I realized that he was the ML in a somewhat naughty movie that I saw and oh my goodness.....  :sweatingbullets:

 

Anyone else watch this?  

  Reveal hidden contents

My PS Partner.  (this movie is apparently also known as Watcha Wearin'?)  And he's mostly naked in one scene.

 

Is it warm in here?  ;)

Just watched the trailer and welp... imma go and watch it right now :naughty: Only watched him in dramas before this

  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, thistle said:

When I checked yesterday to see what other work JS had done, I realized that he was the ML in a somewhat naughty movie that I saw and oh my goodness.....  :sweatingbullets:

 

 

He leave nothing to imagination :joy::mrgreen:

Me after one clip I am blind god help :tounge_xd:

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nateko said:

Just watched the trailer and welp... imma go and watch it right now :naughty: Only watched him in dramas before this

 

Enjoy!  It's also a really funny movie.  And he sings.  

 

10 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

 

 

He leave nothing to imagination :joy::mrgreen:

Me after one clip I am blind god help :tounge_xd:

 

 

Like I said, naughty!  

 

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go watch that movie again. ;):D

  • Like 1
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I love how the PD puts the people talking about deeper issues in a “box” like @thistle (((HUGS to you for your personal

story))) mentioned.  Because when you’re discussing life and death issues, it really feels like you’re in a box and everything else sort of just fades away, it becomes trivial to talk about work or what you ate, nothing else really “matters” much.  And it makes the audience focus just on the issues and the conversations within that “box” (and maybe even think outside of that box to consider things they wouldn’t have before).  I am staying for the ethical dilemmas and how the drama explores the differences in opinions. Ep 4 was another brilliant episode, revealing more about how YoHan made that decision to do what he did for the cancer patient.  And he’s right about how doctors have to manage pain.  Even his office title says it - it’s Pain Management, not Pain Elimination.  Remember how I said pain is protective?  You can’t live without it. It’s about keeping it at a level that is manageable for the patient.  A lot of the drugs used for pain relief is also addictive so if you make the patient too dependent on them, the “side effect” is addiction. So it’s a fine balance.

 

I think he does have Insensitivity to Pain. That’s why he seems so fascinated by pain and watches those fights.  Because he can’t actually feel it, he finds the human tolerances for extreme pain “interesting”.  Notice the tapping that he does on the table when he’s deep in thought?  The finger that he taps with is bruised under the nail. People who can feel pain will stop tapping because it’s sore but he keeps tapping regardless?  Either he enjoys feeling that pain or he can’t feel it at all. The other thing is that he’s fastidious about clean hands. He’s always squirting antiseptic hand gel onto his hands, not just because he’s prepping to examine someone but even when he walks into the Pain Management Centre at the reception area. He doesn’t want to get sick so he takes extreme measures not to get sick. Hospitals are full of sick people so if you’re not fastidious, you run the risk of catching something from patients. 

  • Like 5
  • Insightful 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Yes I love how the PD puts the people talking about deeper issues in a “box” like @thistle (((HUGS to you for your personal

story))) mentioned.  Because when you’re discussing life and death issues, it really feels like you’re in a box and everything else sort of just fades away, it becomes trivial to talk about work or what you ate, nothing else really “matters” much.  And it makes the audience focus just on the issues and the conversations within that “box” (and maybe even think outside of that box to consider things they wouldn’t have before).  I am staying for the ethical dilemmas and how the drama explores the differences in opinions. Ep 4 was another brilliant episode, revealing more about how YoHan made that decision to do what he did for the cancer patient.  And he’s right about how doctors have to manage pain.  Even his office title says it - it’s Pain Management, not Pain Elimination.  Remember how I said pain is protective?  You can’t live without it. It’s about keeping it at a level that is manageable for the patient.  A lot of the drugs used for pain relief is also addictive so if you make the patient too dependent on them, the “side effect” is addiction. So it’s a fine balance.

 

I think he does have Insensitivity to Pain. That’s why he seems so fascinated by pain and watches those fights.  Because he can’t actually feel it, he finds the human tolerances for extreme pain “interesting”.  Notice the tapping that he does on the table when he’s deep in thought?  The finger that he taps with is bruised under the nail. People who can feel pain will stop tapping because it’s sore but he keeps tapping regardless?  Either he enjoys feeling that pain or he can’t feel it at all. The other thing is that he’s fastidious about clean hands. He’s always squirting antiseptic hand gel onto his hands, not just because he’s prepping to examine someone but even when he walks into the Pain Management Centre at the reception area. He doesn’t want to get sick so he takes extreme measures not to get sick. Hospitals are full of sick people so if you’re not fastidious, you run the risk of catching something from patients. 

It's good to know I wasn't the only one who thought he is insensitive to pain. Did you also saw how he doesn't like to drink hot stuff and spicy food? 

 

I like how he cleans his hands always when he is either in the hospital or trying to do something. I prefer to wash my hands with water and soap than use antiseptic hand gel when I deal with patients lol. He is very good...

  • Like 7
  • Insightful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late in the game.  I started watching some of JS dramas lately and like his depth. Not sure if he has  a good partner to match in his dramas each time, but can't deny his acting skills.  Did saw PS partner, and although topic is really not my usual cup of tea, but there is a message in that one.  Surprise Mother of Mine beat Doctor John, but it's been out longer.  Doctor John has jump up at the top of my list though.

 

Like @thistle I also dealt with something similar, but it was with my grandma.  I do think it's a debatable topic with choice hence people sign those DNR forms.  Some people debate the other way around that keeping people on machines are kind of unnatural too depending on how you look at it.  I hope they don't lose the pace like some dramas.  Wishing the drama a lot of luck and that more people would start watching.

 

I did wonder about his tapping finger too and how it'll come into play.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, lu09 said:

It's good to know I wasn't the only one who thought he is insensitive to pain. Did you also saw how he doesn't like to drink hot stuff and spicy food? 

 

I like how he cleans his hands always when he is either in the hospital or trying to do something. I prefer to wash my hands with water and soap than use antiseptic hand gel when I deal with patients lol. He is very good...

 

Yes I noted that in an earlier post about the hot drinks and spicy food and why he would avoid it. :)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nrllee said:

I think he does have Insensitivity to Pain. That’s why he seems so fascinated by pain and watches those fights.  Because he can’t actually feel it, he finds the human tolerances for extreme pain “interesting”.  Notice the tapping that he does on the table when he’s deep in thought?  The finger that he taps with is bruised under the nail. People who can feel pain will stop tapping because it’s sore but he keeps tapping regardless?  Either he enjoys feeling that pain or he can’t feel it at all. The other thing is that he’s fastidious about clean hands. He’s always squirting antiseptic hand gel onto his hands, not just because he’s prepping to examine someone but even when he walks into the Pain Management Centre at the reception area. He doesn’t want to get sick so he takes extreme measures not to get sick. Hospitals are full of sick people so if you’re not fastidious, you run the risk of catching something from patients. 

I think you're definitely right about him having insensitivity to pain. Since you mentioned it, I've been watching for signs. I too noticed the nail and how he's always using the antiseptic hand gel. He didn't drink the alcohol either when he was out with SY and her uncle. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s cute how this series always end off with John & Shi young looking at each other :w00t:

 

but im still having some doubts..so if we go back to when they were in prison doctor’s room. John is in blue and a doctor’s coat looking at Shi Young like some lovers staring at each other...do they know each other? But based on their reaction I don’t think so...

 

maybe it’s a hint that at the end, John becomes more brighter thanks to Shi young and they become doctors in the prison ward?:w00t: better yet, they are together?:w00t:

  • Like 9
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sushilicious I think SeYoung approaches him trying to understand rather than just plain judging because she wants another person’s perspective on this whole issue.  Because YoHan is open to debating it and facing it front on rather than hiding it or skirting around it.  And he in turn opens up to her, informing her as to how he came to that final decision.  I like that he doesn’t force it on her but leaves her with another perspective.  At the end of the day you need to live with your decision.  There will be good days (where you feel like you’ve done the right thing) and there will be bad days (where you doubt and wonder ‘what if...’), it’s something that people who’ve been through it wrestle with.  And often it’s a very lonely battle (you’re in a box) because it’s mental battle with yourself and your thoughts.

 

I like that they presented 3 responses to the dad going into cardiac arrest.  Ignore the hoards of Doctors that are just standing there gawking - this does not happen in real life. :lol:  And residents don’t get to sit around the room with nothing to do and just chat.  Most are flat out doing rounds or doing some medical procedure.  :lol:.

1. The Sister MiRae.  She’s paralysed with fear.  She can’t hold it together and just stands by and watches

2. The mom.  She leaps up and takes charge and performs CPR, refusing to acknowledge that he’s gone.

3. SiYoung who feels her father’s pain and says, “you know what? He’s had enough.  It’s kinder to let him go”.  And she’s right coz CPR is actually painful for the patient.  If you do it right, the patient ends up with bruised (or sometimes cracked) ribs when you do the chest compressions.  And to what end?  He will still be in that vegetative state, except with the bruised and cracked ribs?

 

3 responses.  No one response is any more “right”.  All valid.  Each person has to bear the responsibility of their choice in that situation.  I like the tenderness between YoHan and SiYoung.  A bit of romance won’t go astray but I like that it’s coming from a place of shared understanding and admiration :wub:

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nrllee I totally agree with you and other thought CYH seem to not feel pain from so many sign  

1. His eating  habits  not eating hot , spicy   and other food , he not drinking  alcohol  since he cant know  when it harmful, or since being drunk  maybe cause you to harm yourself  without noticing and in his situation that mean danger so have to a ware  all the time if he hurt or getting sick 

 

2. Even in prison  he was checking  his heartbeat and temperature almost everyday , asking to write it down even if it normal as he need to keep checking  even a little  daily  little change of his body 

 

3. His  care for cleaness  I think that why in the prison  too he volunteer  to be the cleaning  guy , he all time cleaning  from morning  till evening  making sure even a prison  to be a clean and sickness  area ,  and that hot scene when he was cleaning  himself in prison  , till now he taking care of his clean hand all the time 

 

4. His so much interest in pain, how to feel it ?  How to deal with it, how to overcome it , it not just fighting  pain as doctor what interest him he even interest  in how normal people  deal , and overcome  pain just like he interesting  in fighting  and just how he start to be interest in SY in prison  who sufferd  a PTSD  and even will suffering  that she still stand up to help a patient  

It like how people can deal with their  pain is so much amazing thing to him , he admire and respect  that so much 

 

 

It not like he have OCD  conditioning  since he  can walk normally  between people eating in that kind of restaurant  and touching  dirty  things or people  so his over care for cleaness  as many of you said is just his best to make sure he dont get sick , someone like him fearing to be sick  maybe cause as he cant feel pain and it can get only worse fast 

 

 I am amazed  to know him better 

 

  • Like 3
  • Insightful 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can i say that I missed  CYH crazy , arrogant  and bossy  personality  from the prison  he shown  his caring  and nice side so soon 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy his melting personality  too much to say I dont want it specially  with SY,  his scene and caring  side made me fly in the sky 

It just I missed  that side too I want to see that attitude  with his students  and other doctor. after all who can make a crazy character  look so charming  like ji sung  ?? :blush:

 

but I know it different  in prison  he has no choice  but to act extremely  to be heard  about medical issues  and to be survived  there with other prisoners  

 

I like  his connection  with SY so far as you said 

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

.  I like the tenderness between YoHan and SiYoung.  A bit of romance won’t go astray but I like that it’s coming from a place of shared understanding and admiration :wub:

 I liked it too, this kind of connecting  build  like this, I thought at first that SY will be the first to love and care about  him but it look like CYH already so interested in her, as doctor , student , person and woman 

I think he aware  of that too, and I think he already  like her he shown  sides  to her that he dont show to other , she made him angry and  upset  by questions  his reasons  and a little  bit hurt but  he still care to give her answers , CYH not ignored her like he do with other who see Him like this , it come from his understand  her reason  and pain to ask that but come also cause he care for her and she not any body to him 

 I like how  he keep looking at her too ( who wouldn't ?? he making the heartbeat go off the  limit ) 

 

from the teaser  I get that she was the one who will help him and see his pain, but till now he was the one taking care of her so I think after she  over her father issue we will see more about CYH pain and healing story 

 

I just think CYH  already in love! It crazy right  I just get that feeling how he react  to her being close or around  him and how he just like holding up himself  

so did the 10sce doctor fall in love in 10 seconds  too :tounge_xd:dont don't blame  my romance  side  I was away for a while I am so excited  to find drams make me feel like this again 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sarang21  Too funny!

 

But to be fair to the "other" Dr. John: he was a stellar performer.  He was as brilliant in his own talent as JS is in his.  The late Dr. John (he died just last month, his real name was Mac Rebennack) was from New Orleans.  I live not-too-far from there, so that makes him "home folks" and I've gotta say a good word.

 

Take a moment and enjoy this great old song:

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I wonder why the English title is Dr. John because in Korean it's actually just Dr. Yo Han. Is this based on some other western drama that I don't know of?  Was just wondering why they didn't just go with the original title, it's not like Yo Han is hard to pronounce or anything. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I have to ignore some things that felt unreal, like how the main pair came back as doctors in all glory through connections despite their past or how the boxer became all well and good right away after Dr. Cha injected the med.  It was like some kind of magic med.  But anyways, what's I'm in for this drama is really the romantic bits which I hope I will see more of.  We have 3 scenes:  1.  Dr. Kang and Dr. Cha had a gazing session.  No doubt they both felt something but both were too shy to show.  2.  Dr. Cha saw Dr. Kang running.  He was concerned so he came after her and heard her crying on the stairs.  He did not approach but sat quietly on the other side.  That was so subtle and sweet.  3.  Dr. Cha tied Dr. Kang's shoe lace.  At this point, I found myself falling and decided that I will go down with this ship.

  • Like 7
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nateko said:

BTW, I wonder why the English title is Dr. John because in Korean it's actually just Dr. Yo Han. Is this based on some other western drama that I don't know of?  Was just wondering why they didn't just go with the original title, it's not like Yo Han is hard to pronounce or anything. 

 i think cause people with name YO HAN usually been called john in English 

 Korean people has this things cause they study outside they have the original name and an English name that easy to use outside specially  in doctors  and businessman  field , most of them have that two pronounce of their name 

 i never understand the reason why they have to do that since even if it was hard to pronounce it still their name people should try hard to call you by your own name no matter how it different or hard for them 

 

but i get that from watching dramas that Korean and Chinese people who study outside usually have two name one their own and the second the easy English pronounce of it 

 so in this drama or YO HAN study outside at some point or he have anyway English name cause he a well known person so he deal with outside doctors or the second reason that they get the English title  without reason is just  auto translate to what YO HAN name called in English  as pronounce not in the meaning

 or maybe the writer was a fan of the singer doctor john and was sad of his death so he make the name YO HAN and john :tounge_wink:

we will know more about him soon, all we know before the accident he was well respected , famous , researcher ,genius in the filed and was even a professor at that young age in his old  university hospital  so we  can assume that he was famous outside too 

 

2 hours ago, thistle said:

But to be fair to the "other" Dr. John: he was a stellar performer.  He was as brilliant in his own talent as JS is in his.  The late Dr. John (he died just last month, his real name was Mac Rebennack) was from New Orleans.  I live not-too-far from there, so that makes him "home folks" and I've gotta say a good word.

 

Take a moment and enjoy this great old song

 

 i like him too :heart:

 

 

 

 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nateko said:

BTW, I wonder why the English title is Dr. John because in Korean it's actually just Dr. Yo Han. Is this based on some other western drama that I don't know of?  Was just wondering why they didn't just go with the original title, it's not like Yo Han is hard to pronounce or anything. 

 

I'd like to know, too.  John is an extremely common name, so it can apply to anyone anonymous (like John Doe) but our lead character is far from being common so that doesn't make sense.

 

A minor amount of searching brought up the fact that this drama was based on a novel by a Japanese author, Yo Kusakabe.  Interestingly, there is another drama that just finished airing (June-July 2019) on Japanese TV that was based on exactly the same novel.  Here's a synopsis (borrowing from IMDb) of Kami no Te (Hand of God):

Quote

A twenty-one-year-old patient who is afflicted with terminal and irreversible cancer is being treated by doctor Shirakawa. The physician is attempting the impossible with his cutting edge techniques. It is not working and the sufferer is deteriorating. The patient's aunt approves euthanasia. The patient's estranged mother belatedly disagrees and a legal battle ensues.

 

Sound familiar?  Seems like that series must have touched on what happened before the doctor went to jail, and our series follows after.  MyDramaList does not mention the author or the inevitable connection between the two dramas.

 

In short, I ended up finding out other stuff and still have no idea why this is Doctor John.  ^_^

  • Like 3
  • Insightful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thistle said:

 

I'd like to know, too.  John is an extremely common name, so it can apply to anyone anonymous (like John Doe) but our lead character is far from being common so that doesn't make sense.

 

A minor amount of searching brought up the fact that this drama was based on a novel by a Japanese author, Yo Kusakabe.  Interestingly, there is another drama that just finished airing (June-July 2019) on Japanese TV that was based on exactly the same novel.  Here's a synopsis (borrowing from IMDb) of Kami no Te (Hand of God):

 

Sound familiar?  Seems like that series must have touched on what happened before the doctor went to jail, and our series follows after.  MyDramaList does not mention the author or the inevitable connection between the two dramas.

 

In short, I ended up finding out other stuff and still have no idea why this is Doctor John.  ^_^

 

 

 Japanese author yo kisakabe made almost 3 novel about the same character,  one about what happen in past in the accident time , one after that when the doctor come back to work after jail facing the life and old sin again and the third i don't remember it excitly  

 and that Japanese drama too has two season in two different  name with the same actor  that talk about the two story 

 

but in Japanese novel and drama they don't focus on romance so much so yes this drama based on that novel but even after watching the two drama and read the novel you will see so much different how the character going to be bullied specially that Korean drama has the romance, bromance , friend , love river and more to add 

the writer said that DR YO HAN character was based on that novel , and i respect him to give the created to to the owner  since many drama clearly steal all the idea not just the mean character and don't  come clear about it lately ,  the writer said he inspired YO han character from his the novel  and his past backstory   but the story itself already different   from the start 

  • Like 1
  • Insightful 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...