[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

larus

13 hours ago, nooneor said:

I kinda like the ending. It’a happy one. The only thing that bothers me is ‘3 year’ thing. It’s a very long time. Why did they have to separate like this? Why didnt he tell her that he was back to Korea? Its friggin a year! Yeah I know he was being treated but I wish they hadnt suffered so much.:tears:

It's typical of k dramas. I am reminded of OMV when the lead actor had to be in rehab in US for a year after his accident. The poor gal sent him texts and video for a year and he won't even check his phone or reply her once. I am sure there are other dramas where time apart is self enforced... 

I wonder if this is a cultural thingie though... 

(Added on, a rant about the inequality of KSY and CYH relationship)

It's the last episode and the tale has come to an end for both KSY and CYH and the team of anaesthesiologists. I am just going to rant on behalf of KSY, before I close the book on this drama. I am sure CYH feels that his actions are justified, he was taking measures (drastic ones) to ensure that if he ever came back to KSY, he wouldn't have to leave her again. I am not sure that the show has informed us if he is 100% cured from CIPA, or just from the lung infection, or his ear infection. If his CIPA condition still remains, then let's face it, CYH, you will never have a 100% guarantee that another infection won't come to hound you, ever again. So, if that's the case, the assurance you sought is a short term one - and an illusion.

If you are indeed 100% cured, perhaps your self-imposed exile from KSY's life was justified, albeit rather cruel to her. Yes, she could catch glimpses of you in the media, so she could be assured that you were still alive. But a word to her that you wanted to be sure, that you were taking steps to recovery, even if it was just a line via email, surely would have given her the assurance that she was still in your thoughts and that she would not be standing second, third or fourth in your areas of priority. Because, that was exactly what she felt, and that is what the show informed us, in her state of inebriation. 

And yet, you appear wise - to the nurse, you showed us your capacity to empathise and put yourself in her shoes. To even allow her to pour her grief and anger into your incarceration, and yet never lay a finger of blame on her. So, why not show that empathy or wisdom to the girl who loves you. In your defense, you seemed somewhat remorseful of your conduct, and you didn't push her for a response. You waited to see if she could forgive you.  And yet, you didn't even tell her that you were watching her for a year. Had not HJ spilled the beans on you, what would indeed have happened? Would the wedge between the two of you be driven deeper? When would you have taken steps to clear the air?

And that is my main grouse; that the character CYH is inconsistent, and that his priorities seem somewhat misaligned. While he fights for patients for their survival, he is less courageous in offering a more equitable relationship; the balance of power has been his to wield. He has been informed. He has called the shots and she has had to remain in the dark.  Oh well, tis life. We hurt the ones near and dear to us and we show others our consideration and understanding. Perhaps, that is the message we should heed.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just starting to watch ep 9... pausing when Dr Kang cleans her father athe the hospital bed. not gonna review all comments in this thread yet.. ...

Just wanna say, if Dr Cha is gonna end up bed ridden like Dr Kang's father,  that is why he is reluctant to do have anything to do with her.... furthermore death is supposedly at his door all the time... hmmm..

i seriously watched through ep13 to 16 from last nite till now.. :tounge_xd: of cos, i left the most crucial ep15 n 16 this morning (focus girl focus.. its hard to focus much in the middle of the night without sleeping through some)

the scene where Mi Rae brought Si Young and team for a drink with all the bottles and bottles of soju :yum: but the best scene i loved throughout the whole drama is how Si Young got dead drunk and complaining and grumbling and Mi Rae had to piggyback her home :joy: this is like, SISTERS POWER!!! :star: even the subsequent soju gathering with Dr YH was back with them, i love how Mi Rae continue to stand up for her unnie!!

the ending was a bit too.. mild!! i was hoping for more omph! with a burst of misses and hugs and kisses.. but, its just.. that? :triumph: @Ameera Ali ur chingu here is disappointed with the lack of passionate kisses (or anything much more) in the last episode.. LOL

“Doctor John” Finale Beats Out “Arthdal Chronicles” Part 3 Premiere To Take No. 1 In Time Slot

Sep 8, 2019
by E. Cha

6b3af674abee42cc94f9f23ca178066a.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Doctor John” ended at the top of its time slot last night!

According to Nielsen Korea, the September 7 finale of Ji Sung and Lee Se Young’s popular medical drama achieved the highest viewership ratings in its time slot across all channels. The final broadcast of “Doctor John” scored average ratings of 6.7 percent and 10.2 percent nationwide, peaking at 12.8 percent towards the end of the show.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1350986wpp/doctor-john-finale-beats-out-arthdal-chronicles-part-3-premiere-to-take-no-1-in-time-slot

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

If you are indeed 100% cured, perhaps your self-imposed exile from KSY's life was justified, albeit rather cruel to her. Yes, she could catch glimpses of you in the media, so she could be assured that you were still alive. But a word to her that you wanted to be sure, that you were taking steps to recovery, even if it was just a line via email, surely would have given her the assurance that she was still in your thoughts and that she would not be standing second, third or fourth in your areas of priority. Because, that was exactly what she felt, and that is what the show informed us, in her state of inebriation. 

And yet, you appear wise - to the nurse, you showed us your capacity to empathise and put yourself in her shoes. To even allow her to pour her grief and anger into your incarceration, and yet never lay a finger of blame on her. So, why not show that empathy or wisdom to the girl who loves you. In your defense, you seemed somewhat remorseful of your conduct, and you didn't push her for a response. You waited to see if she could forgive you.  And yet, you didn't even tell her that you were watching her for a year. Had not HJ spilled the beans on you, what would indeed have happened? Would the wedge between the two of you be driven deeper? When would you have taken steps to clear the air?

And that is my main grouse; that the character CYH is inconsistent, and that his priorities seem somewhat misaligned.

When we pick partners who have professions related to the public, it is somewhat expected that we are pretty much sharing our partner.  However, like you said I thought it was extreme to have no news at all.

I don't think his actions are being inconsistent with his character though.  Usually, when he is leaving out information: 1. protecting someone,  2. taking the punishment 

Example) The whole euthanization thing, no matter how good his intention was it is still debatable and has some consequences toward others (pain to nurse).  This is why he didn't tell anyone and just go to prison.

Even though in his mind, he knew he did it for relationship with SY, but he also cause her pain so he wasn't making an excuse.  He just let her decide so in that sense he's giving the power back to her.  Also, he was on his way back to her anyway.  There might of been a chance he would of came clean.  I guess we won't know.  I'm just going to be happy that things work out.

@phoenix24 I guess I felt a little cheated. :blush:  Perhaps for making her wait for 3 years, I expected a little more effort on his part to 'woo her back'. But then again, that wouldn't be like him to do so. He would just wait and hope that she would take the step back towards him, as you pointed out (his way of letting her make the choice). It seems in the show that up till the point HJ revealed that he had been checking her out for a year, she held back. She seemed hesitant and had I been in her shoes, I guess I would have felt the same. Would she be expected to rush into her arms again after all that time? Probably not.... So I guess that was the device in the story to compel her to take action.....oh well! CYH probably needs a few lessons in romance from John Kim, perhaps not a pink scarf, just something to show his affections but less showy? LOL

@PaperBoat I second you on a likely season 2. The way it has ended, there is room for more to tell. Just I suppose whether the actors and actresses will be able to slot this into their schedule and the commercial viability. But ratings have been quite respectable right? 

So... that ending. I felt like the last episode was kind of uneventful. I mean, I know that three years passed and that doctor Cha was in a bad condition an everything, but considering the storyline I expected something more.

However, I have a theory that a second seoson might be on the way at some point, why? Mainly because of the whole deal about Cherubim never got solved. The people involved (the leader of the thing and the hospital's lawyer) escaped and they mentioned that they would have to save the drug for when the right time comes, for me that's pretty much a hint. If my intuition were to be correct, I feel like part of the plot for the second part would be about prosecutor Son's cancer, I feel like that can make an intersting addition to the plot, specially since he became friends with doctor Cha. What if doctor Cha comes across the situation where the prosecutor is in the brink of death with pain and he just wants to die. Also, I imagine that part of the story would deal with Kang Siyoung's mother as the director of the hospital and the other two men (the one who though he was going to become the director and he clearly disagree's with her perspective). Another thing would have to be doctor Cha's condition, specially since we didn't get any detail about how his condition got better, besides the fact that we were told he got treatment, still that leaves room for a lot of questions. And of course, the relationship between doctor Cha and Siyoung would be developed. 

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and maybe it's just me but I can't get rid of the feeling that there wasn't a definite conclusion in the last episode, specially with the whole Cherubim thing. 

mild!! i was hoping for more omph! with a burst of misses and hugs and kisses.. but, its just.. that? :triumph: @Ameera Ali ur chingu here is disappointed with the lack of passionate kisses (or anything much more) in the last episode.. LOL

@sadthe1st in that scene, I thought we will see them in morning in bed together :joy: , but what more crazy was the scene in the Hospital after hearing her cry before that she not feeling she is the number one in his life , I felt bad we didn’t see more of him showing he cared for her more than his or her patients :unamused: 

download

Me thinking , yes now you talking, she have time for more romance , let’s go :joy: but no not him 

5d74d81137b1c206977909.gif?download

@nona88 Poor thing should be like this 

with all her efforts & not achieving number one spot yet :joy:

5d74dffcd99b1156477237.gif?download

7 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

I thought we will see them in morning in bed together

i guess we have to forgive YH.. he can only feel his heartbeat faster (the scene when SY was taking his pulse) but he doesn’t feel hot or burn with passion :yum: still, i’m not very satisfied with the mild kiss.. 3 years.. not 3 hours.. and thats all they did, a little kiss :unamused:

ok now that i’m sort of accepting the fact that the drama ended with a not-so-satisfying kiss, yes @PaperBoat is right.. cherubim case wasn’t ended with a proper closure.. also, although Prosecutor Son was still undergoing treatment he doesn’t look too good at stage3 stomach cancer.. not too sure if there is a season 2 will he survive through or just die off in first episode..

Hmm...CIPA is not “curable”.  Maybe in the KDrama world but not in real life.  Patients don’t actually have those pain receptors or nerves to their sweat glands so they can’t sweat.  Nerves really only develop in utero (when you’re in your mother’s womb), once you’re born you can’t magically grow more nerves.  Although there has been some improvements in the field of nerve regeneration in the case of spinal severance (where a patient becomes paraplegic or quadriplegic from an accident), the nerves were already there from the start...it’s a matter of reconnecting them.  This is not the case in CIPA.

I felt the drama started too many tangents from the original premise of the show which was to address euthanasia.  Then the whole Cherubim drug issue was added.  You don’t need a new drug to send people off quickly and painlessly?  There’s already ones available who do a decent job?  Too many terminally sick people which I felt was not absolutely essential (the Prosecutor - what was with the Ring he had (did I miss something)?  And YH’s Lawyer Friend too?).  Even YH’s CIPA was a distraction I felt.  I think they tried to address the whole euthanasia debate but just had too many side issues which took away the focus of it and therefore muddied the issue?  Was the whole emphasis on pain (or lack thereof in YH’s case) meant to address the whole how much pain is too much in which case euthanasia is the “kinder” option?  It wasn’t clear.  I thought that was what they were going to tackle with the initial case that sent YH to prison but it just got lost somehow mid drama.  I think they tried to address it with the actress with the facial cancer but somehow it didn’t translate for me.  Stage 3 stomach cancer (what Prosecutor Son has) doesn’t have a great prognosis... I don’t even know how he continues to work like he does after chemo.  Only 1 out of 5 would still be alive after 5 years and that’s being optimistic.  But that’s KDrama for you. :lol:.

But I am glad the OTP got some semblance of a happy ever after even if it was after a 3 year parting.

3 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Hmm...CIPA is not “curable”.  Maybe in the KDrama world but not in real life.

The cure happens with all the hug he get & eating subway  :joy: 

5d74e98bbe1d5367071707.gif?download

5d74e85664fec967997118.gif?download

@sadthe1st she need to learn from these two twin :joy: , did she lose first hug too after 3 years :tounge_xd:

Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, And Lee Kyu Hyung Share Final Thoughts On Conclusion Of “Doctor John”

Sep 8, 2019

c718280f92f9403893bc8268f4a3daa0.jpeg?s=

Prior to airing its last episode, SBS’s Friday-Saturday drama “Doctor John” delivered the three lead actors’ thoughts and feelings on finally concluding the drama!

Since its premiere, “Doctor John” showed nothing but growth and success. The drama premiered to solid ratings on July 19, and it soon took over the No. 1 spot in its time slot, where it remained until its final episode on September 7.

Regarding the end of the drama, Ji Sung said, “It’s bittersweet that the grand journey of ‘Doctor John,’ which lasted about six months, has wrapped up. I think the staff members of ‘Doctor John’ with whom I’ve become close, the actors I worked with, and the character Cha Yo Han will remain in my heart for a long time.”

The actor continued, “The things I realized, the things that felt worthwhile, and the happy memories that I gained during filming and while living as the anesthesiologist Yo Han will pop up in my mind from time to time. I thank the director, staff members, all of the actors, and viewers who gifted me with these fond memories.”

Lee Se Young, who starred as the intelligent anesthesiology resident Kang Si Young, also shared her thoughts. The actress stated, “During the past six months that I’ve spent with ‘Doctor John,’ I cried a lot, but more importantly, I got to laugh a lot.” She continued, “I thank the viewers who encouraged and showed support for Si Young as she overcame a deep pain and grew. I would also like to deliver my sincere gratitude to all the ‘Doctor John’ family members who stayed by Si Young’s side.”

Lee Kyu Hyung, who played the charismatic prosecutor Son Seok Ki, commented, “I was glad to be able to greet viewers through a great project like ‘Doctor John.’ It was an exciting experience to work with director Jo Soo Won and Ji Sung. I would like to thank and tell every actor and staff member of the drama that they did well. I sincerely thank all the viewers who loved ‘Doctor John’ until now.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1351016wpp/ji-sung-lee-se-young-and-lee-kyu-hyung-share-final-thoughts-on-conclusion-of-doctor-john

Ji Sung posted several pictures on Instagram.

Just putting it up here to admire everyone :tears:

I haven't gotten round to watching episodes 14-16 yet since I already saw 90% through on-air streaming.

Putting my thoughts in spoilers so the post isn't crazily long:

Spoiler

I was not fully satisfied with the way YH treated SY over the 3 years. Was he gonna explain what happened all along during the reverse elevator scene when she got the call to tend to her patient? Coz I'm assuming after that reconciliatory kiss scene, they probably had a deep & meaningful conversation about everything that happened although the drama doesn't show us that scene.

Sometimes dramas are pretty draggy because the writers write every thing out. But the writer for Doctor Yohan tends to write scenes centering only on important information related to the main plot of the drama and we, as the audience, have to fill in the gaps with our imagination.

Some examples:

1. When YH fell down the stairs at the warehouse. We are not shown how he fell down and hurt himself but only shown the end result of his fall -- him lying on the stairs. Because the way he falls or what he goes through when he falls is probably gonna be the same as when he was stumbling/sliding down the stairs in the hospital when the reporter was chasing him.

2. The Subway date. YH texts SY to grab dinner together. Then we see YH buying subway and wonder why is he choosing subway :P But through his conversation with SY we find out that SY wanted to eat a Subway sandwich (instead of showing SY and YH texting back and forth about what to have for dinner).

3. There are no scenes about the relationship between SY and her mom, or Mirae and her mom. Why the two girls are sharing an apartment, where does the mother live? etc. 

4. We are not shown how SY sneaks out of YH's house the night the 3 guys come over uninvited. She just makes it out of the house somehow undetected and we have to imagine her doing it (if we want to imagine).

So just like this, I would like to think that SY will not make it super easy for YH just because they have "reconciled". She'll definitely deal with him in her own way but we just have to imagine it and trust that she will do it. The writer just shows us the crucial bits of the story. Just because there is no extra date scene from the night they kissed to the next time they meet it doesn't mean that they didn't meet again at all. They probably did but we have to imagine it right?

I wonder if YH stopped himself from telling her he was back because if she knew she would "force" her way into his life and having an extra person around to help him would be fantastic, especially if it's the one you love, but maybe she would not be able to focus 100% on her career and develop herself as a doctor? I'm not sure if she would be able to wholeheartedly focus on her work if she knew YH was undergoing treatment with an unpredictable outcome. His silence after dropping her off like a hot potato made her bitter (I guess) to the point where she probably just went full steam into her work instead of moping around (her true feelings coming out only when she was drunk). We see that she's pretty on the ball at work ~ as a senior doctor.

And of course it's not for YH to decide whether or not SY will be able to cope with work and looking after him.

But it's clear how SY is when it comes to YH. Her priorities would be messed up.

And YH also knows how SY is.

After all, this drama is neither a rom-com nor a love story. This drama, as the written preview of the last episode stated, is about separations (or farewells) and meetings, today and tomorrow, and life and death. YH and SY just happen to have a love line, something which the writer could have easily omitted from the story.

... and so I guess I just have to be satisfied that they are back together again.

And I think YH was gonna go back to the restaurant to look for SY but maybe when he reached there, she had gone and the others may have said she went out...?

Imagination again.. :D  

I have to add that I really like the reverse elevator scene :P 

And my favourite :wub:

I really loved this drama and the ending  

It true  I I didn't  want him to leave  or wanted  him to hide from her when he sick she was hurt a lot cause  of that 

But I am still happy  with the ending it doesn't  have to be as I wanted  it perfect  as long as it was good for everyone  , 

I like how he understands that he hurt  her by doing that he take his risk of never  being forgiven but still come back with the mind to win her over to make her accept  him again 

Sy was going to do it anymore  even CYH  know that, he said he maybe was neve sure about anything but one thing he  was sure about it was about their  love , he believes in their  love as strong and not easy to ended 

I am happy he final  has that confidence  on SY  love and her being  in his life as unquestionably thing  , he fine she fine , he found a new goal beside  her , they together  he promised  to stay and never  leave and I am happy for that 

Just have to say 3 years was a long and lonely  journey  for both of them to take it like this but as I said I will not complain  about it 

Side note: the flashback  when he was watching  her for over a year was so cute he really give the kid face that was super cute  why we didn't have more scenes  like this with this two together??? 

18 minutes ago, nooneor said:

I hope JS and LSY work together again. Their chemistry is on fire :wub:

And they followed each other on Instagram. Love them. :lol:

Finally! Haha :D

And I agree with you. 

Although I wondered if their chemistry was just my imagination :P

I compared JS & Han Ji Min, JS & Hwang Jung Eum with JS & LSY.

If I had to choose a pairing again it would be JS & LSY.

I miss this drama already :( Nevertheless relieved that we got a happy ending cuz otherwise I'd be bummed for the longest time 

Everyone was amazing in the show & a special note to Ji Sung, for he's such a great actor. I've watched only 3 of his dramas; Kill me heal me, Secret and this one. All 3 characters are completely different to the other and this man delivered stellar performances each time. I've so much respect for his acting abilities *clap clap*

I liked this drama for the most part especially the chemistry.  However these airport scenes are getting tedious, wish i could run off the airport everytime something goes wrong and have someone run after me to apologise.

The other thing that is iritating in these drama's is the time apart.  Will take a few years to come around, will you wait for me.   I could understand if its study or something and they are supporting each other,   The romantic in me says never let him go say yes, be a complete lovesick fool.  The realistic part of me says you have got to be kidding, he doesnt want to share the worst sides of himself with you so you can support each other, wants to disappear and come back when he feels like it.  I feel like saying sure I will be in this relationship when I feel like it.....

Maybe its just the cynic in me after watching too many of these dramas now...

Hmmm...just finish the drama... 

All i can  say is... Man, Lee Se Young has changed much since i last saw her as the undead in Hwaygi:D

The girl can really cry, amazing! I havent finished TCC, but i will be continuing that drama after putting it on hold.

Ok, i think the drama plot was quite weak, a nurse who was vent on revenge on the dr help end the life of her daughter's killer?, blah... prosecutor same attitude? Blah... people are.suffering and some wants to.die early, is it murder? Or.is it a wish..if.it.is a wish, shouldnt it be granted? 

Haiz... anyways ending was also weak..3 years away? Sigh... 

------

Oh subway, subway advert... its everywhere... dont koreans know subway? How big is subway there or do people still prefer to eat local food?

Always like a drama that shows the latest technology, be it cars phones or medical equipments! 

I always wondered.. whatever they do in a medical drama, i doubt the doctors in my country even knows how to do it... investments in medical area is not really a priority :(

Archived