[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

larus

So their children would be Bb.  Is that close to normal?  Kind of ok?  Or not good?  Just explain to me like I'm a 3 years old.  Then I can decide how to weave the scenario of whether I should add little YH and SY to my picture of them in his house on the hill.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

So their children would be Bb.  Is that close to normal?  Kind of ok?

Normal kids.  They just carry the gene.  :)  But we’re kinda getting ahead of ourselves. I just wish for them together even if it is for a short time.  In reality CIPA patients average life span is 25.  So very few of them would live long enough to have children.  That’s why it’s such a rare disease.  Most cases would be children of 2 carriers (Bb) who don’t exhibit the symptoms but carry the defective gene.  In that case, there’s a 1 in 4 chance that their children would end up being bb (with CIPA).  Biology (genetics) lesson over :)

For some reason I wanted to see them arguing about whether or not to have children. Too bad that we wont be able to see those days yet we dont even know whether our couple will have a happy ending or not. :tears: RIP to me. I dont think I can handle this. :crazy:

1 hour ago, nooneor said:

For some reason I wanted to see them arguing about whether or not to have children. Too bad that we wont be able to see those days yet we dont even know whether our couple will have a happy ending or not. :tears: RIP to me. I dont think I can handle this. :crazy:

They should make this a seasonal drama then :lol:

I WOULD LOVE IF THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING

If theyre arguing i bet you SY will win, she will win him with her persistence and strong "will" :rolleyes:

Haha, the making videos are always interesting, JS just cant control his laughter, and that transferred to SY. Cute ^^

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

Normal kids.  They just carry the gene.  :)  But we’re kinda getting ahead of ourselves. I just wish for them together even if it is for a short time.  In reality CIPA patients average life span is 25.  So very few of them would live long enough to have children.  That’s why it’s such a rare disease.  Most cases would be children of 2 carriers (Bb) who don’t exhibit the symptoms but carry the defective gene.  In that case, there’s a 1 in 4 chance that their children would end up being bb (with CIPA).  Biology (genetics) lesson over :)

Thanks much, mate.  YH's father lived long enough to have him and raised him a few years.  Maybe his father lived until 30 or early 30s before he passed and now YH is in his late 30s or so.  The writer already created this miracle so might as well go all the way.  But...

Si Young is such refreshing character.  She wears her emotions on her sleeves, so frank about her feelings.  She confessed and pushed forward without hesitation.  My heart started wishing that she would ask him for marriage.  That would be consistent to her character and put a nice wrap on their story.  But then they made the turn with the typical act when the hero runs away for "noble" reason.  I feel like they've been playing with my heart and will continue to play me until the end.  There's no good ending even in the very least I know.  What can I say.  When I wish, things go South but my heart has a mind of its own.  I can't control what my heart wishes for.

I think its too early to make a conclusion that YH really gonna go to US to leave SY behind. There could be a good reason thats not revealed yet.

I will put my trust in him.

I really hope that they gonna solved the nurse's story in just one episode, and focus on SY-YH relationship and YH's treatment for the rest of episodes. Also they need to give us a good closure on the ending. If they go with open ending, they better give us a 2nd season. 

5 hours ago, Tjhin Tanti said:

I think its too early to make a conclusion that YH really gonna go to US to leave SY behind. There could be a good reason thats not revealed yet.

I will put my trust in him.

I agree with this.

I just caught up with the latest episode.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but the Korean caption on the video when YH was applying for the job says it's for the position of a researcher.

I wonder if he is giving up his career as a doctor or trying to do research for CIPA.

*edit*

In the preview, YH's arm is indeed injured... @nooneor

Will SY help him bandage his arm? haha :wub:

If ep 13 is about YH, will ep 14 be about YH and SY?

ceIw6rl.jpg

He only wrote "apply for the position" so I wonder why would the Korean translation adds the researcher detail.  Hmm...  He better takes SY with him.  Their time with each other is precious as it is already.

Every week is a long wait so if they don't have HanYoung lovey dovey scenes next ep, I will cry 9 rivers. 

I'll try to do a live recap for tonight. Do note that my Korean is really below par. So it's more guess work on their actions than the actual meaning. Mian.

So, the episode begins from last week. CYH recalls the conversation with the boy (GS) that he will save the boy during the previous surgery. The boy is unable to talk but CYH seems to know that they boy is calling out for help, to save him.

The prosecutor is watching the video of CYH being interviewed about CIPA, he probably has a realisation that CYH is a CIPA patient too, the message that the nurse was trying to point out. The prosecutor calls CYH out to talk to him, wanting to confirm that he has CIPA. CYH turns away and says he is busy...but the prosecutor forces him to provide an answer again. CYH asks him what is his intention if he knows. Again CYH says that he will leave the patients to be the judge of his capabilities. The prosecutor pushes on wanting to know what is CYH's response to a drug that allows patients to die 'happily'. CYH responds that humans instinctively want to live and choosing to die is no simple matter. (this section has been edited after I watched the eng sub) 

CYH returns to see that GS is able to open and move his eyes but he is unable to move his arms and legs. To communicate with GS, he asks him to use his eyes which GS had control over, unlike his unresponsive limbs. CYH and KSY have a diagnosis about GS's condition, its a locked in condition where the patient cannot move. They inform the mother that they have a diagnosis but are unsure whether they will be able to treat him. They also ask her if any of his friends can inform them about his condition and the mother says one friend has indeed called to ask about him. They urge the mother to reach out to the friend to find out more. (this section also has been edited for correctness of info) 

The nurse calls the prosecutor and asks him if he confirmed that CYH has CIPA. The prosecutor confirms it and the nurse is delighted about wanting to revela this but the prosecutor seems reluctant and abruptly ends the call. The nurse is displeased... (I think this is when she decides to take action herself to reveal his condition on her own, as per what we saw in the preview last week).

CYH and KSY ask GS' mom about something. He looks distraught and KSY catches on but he refuses to tell her why he looks that way. In his thoughts, he is asking himself "how much longer can I remain a doctor".

KSY I think sees the same call for post-doctoral research applicant at Clevlend and she takes notes - she pulls an all nighter doing research for CIPA. (the words are in English but it went by too fast and I couldn't see much beyond that.) CYH walks into the room finding her asleep at the desk. He sees all the research that she has been doing. She informs CYH that Clevlend is also doing some research on CIPA and asks if she should write to them for more info. He looks surprised that she has found that out but does not say anything to her.

In the next scene, we see Heo Joon cheering GS' mother up at the cafeteria, telling her to keep up her strength. It turns out that GS was in a fight, being bullied by other kids. He got into a fight and was physically hurt by the bullies. His friend has revealed this incident to the doctors.

CYH gets another bought of dizziness in their meeting room at the hospital, he loses his balance and falls to the floor. He takes his temperature and I think detects an infection, he quickly takes medication.

The nurse is contemplating whether to 'spill the beans'. She takes out the photo of her daughter who died (?) and I think is deciding what to do. The next scene sees the nurse pushing the actress whose face has been disfigured. The actress' little boy is with her and they are spending some quality time in the garden at the hospital. In a flashback, we see the nurse playing with her deceased daugther in the same spot. Then, she sees her daughter die in a fire. I think this strengthens her resolve to divulge CYH's condition.

CYH and KSY search through GS' bag and find a shirt with dirt stains on it. It's probably what he was wearing when he was physically injured by the bullies. 

One of the anaesthesiologists runs to the Director and shows him the news (from the journalist that is in cahoots with the nurse) about a doctor having CIPA (I am not sure if CYH's name is implicated but it probably points to him). Heo Joon puts two and two together and realises that the doctor is CYH. He runs to locate KSY, and asks her if CYH has CIPA. KSY doesn't answer him but her actions tell it all. She runs towards CYH and hurts herself running up the stairs. She locates him in his room and cries as she tries to tell him that his condition is no longer a secret. He says it's alright, the prosecutor came to confront him the night before - he is his usual stoic self. She reminds him that he promised to keep her updated, but he does not respond to her. He sees that she has a cut on the hand and starts to treat her immediately. She cries her heart out and he carresses her face, telling her not to cry.

Now, it's the lawyer's turn to run to ask CYH if the news is true. CYH says something but I don't know what it means. The next scene sees the prosecutor calling the nurse but she refuses to pick up the phone - she looks pleased that the article is out. 

CYH has been called to face the panel of senior doctors in an emergency meeting and they are questioning him. The lawyer is present in the meeting. KSY waits impatiently outside the room. CYH admits that he does have CIPA. The doctors I believe are divided about what to do with him. Some argue that patients will not find him credible (the men) but KSY's aunt says that he has been performing well thus far, with no complications. CYH argues that the more he treats patients, the more he is obsessed with helping them. CYH asks that they allow him to treat GS before he leaves. But the director asks if he is in a good condition to do so. CYH does not deny that he is not in tip top condition.... The director cuts him off and says he is not permitted to do so. KSY's mum says she will also accept any disciplinary action for hiring him. The director says that they will call for a disciplinary hearing on what to do with CYH; in the meantime he is not to carry out any medical duties. CYH's team join KSY and wait outside the room for the verdict.

The team apologise for not realising his condition. They promise to be his eyes and arms, to continue his work. He gives them one final briefing on what to do with the patients and leaves the hospital. KSY gets a text message with an address, it may be the location of the place where GS got injured. She offers to go with CYH but he tells her to stay and take care of GS? CYH leaves in a cab. 

I dont like that he still hide the clinic issue from her even when she found about it and tell him he didnt comment about it 

I hope it for better not something bad as much as I think he still so  soft  and lovely with her to think he thinking about leaving her 

GS' needs an immediate procedure. KSY's mother steps in to assist her in the procedure, and gives her the confidence to do so. They both handle the GS calmly.

The next scene shows the prosecutor asking the nurse why she revealed everything. I think this scene was the one in the preview - she asks him if he was swayed by CYH. He says something in her response. There is a flash back, we see the reenaction of the murderer of the children, there were 2 kids, one was her daughter and the other was a boy (turns out the boy is the prosecutor's son, thus his obsession with CYH and his collaboration with the nurse). She was at the scene where the police brought the criminal to confirm/show how he tied the two kids up in a warehouse. The nurse is distraught and the prosecutor looks emotionally disturbed. He bends over in pain and collaspses. The nurse tries to get him help.

CYH is indeed at the scene where GS was physically attacked. It's like a warehouse of sorts. He sees empty cans of alcohol, and he 'sees' GS being beaten up and his head hitting an oil drum in the room. He notices some oil slick on the ground? He suspects that GS has Nocardiosis - a disease caused by bacteria found in soil and water, and tells his team to run an MRI, etc.  As he is leaving the building, he experiences a dizzy spell on the way down the staircase.

The lawyer is talking to the ex-Health Minister. I think he wants to meet CYH, he says he doesn't have much time.  

The nurse is seated by the bedside of the prosecutor. She asks in consternation, "how can you be ill?" I think he tells her the pain from the loss of the children may be great but his pain from stomach cancer soon made him forget his sorrow. And the criminal probably experienced pain many times over. The prosecutors says that he entertained the thought (fearfully) that when the pain became unbearable, he would want someone to also administer the dosage to relief him off suffering. (I think he is trying to tell the nurse that he (the prosecutor) understands why CYH euthanised the criminal as he can empathise with it.)

- edited for correctness of info

KSY is trying to call CYH but he doesn't pick up the phone. CYH has fallen down the stairs, he is bleeding from the head. KSY calls for an ambulance to go to the address where CYH went to investigate. The paramedic on the line asks her where he is hurt and she shouts that he won't know, probably as he won't feel pain.

Preview - the doctors have to make a decision about CYH's fate. I think his team gather the nurses and doctors together to rally in his support. CYH is on a hospital bed, his hand is in a cast and KSY is seated by his side.

Archived