[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

larus

A dramatic transformation in store for Ji Sung’s Doctor John

by tipsymocha

doctorjohn-still731.jpg

When I first saw these stills, I honestly thought it was an old article about Ji Sung’s (Familiar Wife) 2017 thriller Defendant, especially in his prison outfit. But, no, these stills are curiously for SBS’s new Friday-Saturday medical drama Doctor John, starring Ji Sung and Lee Se-young (The Crowned Clown) as doctors who specialize in pain management and anesthesiology.

While previous stills of the show showed the two leads in their white gowns, as would be expected from a medical drama, these show Ji Sung in an inmate outfit. There’s no explanation as to whether Ji Sung’s character ends up in prison during the events of the drama, or if his stint happened before he became a doctor. If the latter, I hope the drama does a credible job of explaining how he became a doctor despite his record. I’m not sure how it works in Korea, but at least in the US, from what I understand, it is quite difficult to get licensed as a medical practitioner if you have a felony record.

This drama generally has a lot of question marks surrounding it, especially regarding what subsection of medical genre we’re getting with Doctor John. Are we mainly dealing with surgical operations, since the two leads are anesthesiologists? Or is it more rehabilitation-focused, given they’re both specialized in “pain management?” And then, how does the “Doctor 10-seconds” nickname fit it, then? Are they engaging in diagnostics, a la House? It’s definitely more questions than I’m used to going into a drama, and I can’t really decide whether that’s a good or bad thing.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/a-dramatic-transformation-in-store-for-ji-sungs-doctor-john/

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
July 5 2019

Teaser trailer #3 for SBS drama series “Doctor John”

Doctor_John-teaser3SM1.jpg

Teaser trailer #3 added for SBS drama series “Doctor John” starring Ji Sung and Lee Se-Young. Teaser trailer #3 features footage from the drama series for the first time. Meanwhile, above are still images of Cha Yo-Han ( Ji Sung) and Kang Shi-Young (Lee Se-Young) from the drama series. This scene has Cha Yo-Han and Kang Shi-Young meeting for the first time. The scene takes place in prison and was filmed April, 2019 in Seodaemun District, Seoul.

“Doctor John” first airs July 19, 2019  in South Korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/teaser-trailer-3-for-sbs-drama-series-doctor-john

Ji Sung And Lee Se Young Share A Nerve-Racking 1st Meeting In Upcoming Medical Drama

by E. Cha
9771ecfd8fe94fa89c631f5b2eee3401.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Doctor John” has shared an exciting glimpse of the chemistry between its two leads!

“Doctor John” is an upcoming medical drama about doctors specializing in pain management. In a refreshing take on the genre, “Doctor John” will portray the doctors’ search for the cause of their patients’ mysterious pain as a thrilling chase, almost like a detective hunting down the perpetrator behind an unsolved crime.

Ji Sung will star in the drama as Cha Yo Han, a genius anesthesiologist who goes by the nickname “Doctor 10 Seconds”—a reference to his impressive ability to assess his patients in the 10 seconds that it takes for them to enter his examination room and walk to their seat. Lee Se Young will star as Kang Si Young, a highly intelligent anesthesiology resident who was born into a family of doctors.

On July 5, “Doctor John” unveiled a sneak peek of Cha Yo Han and Kang Si Young’s tense first encounter. The two characters end up meeting during an unexpected medical emergency at a prison, when Cha Yo Han rushes to Kang Si Young’s aid as she attempts to save a patient’s life.

The newly released photos show a nervous Kang Si Young gazing curiously at the calm, perfectly composed Cha Yo Han, who seems to be taking the lead as he instructs and works together with the younger, less experienced doctor. Notably, however, Cha Yo Han is wearing a prison uniform in the photos, piquing viewers’ curiosity as to how the doctor ended up in prison.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1336889wpp/ji-sung-and-lee-se-young-share-a-nerve-racking-1st-meeting-in-upcoming-medical-drama

All aboard for this drama.  It's Ji Sung soI know I'll know see good acting.  Last drama of Ji Sung I enjoyed was Defendant. I like him in  characters  that really brings out excellent acting.

Off Topic: I still keep my fingers cross I'll see  Ji Sung and Yoo Seung Ho in well written drama together.

Upcoming Drama Starring Ji Sung Reveals First Poster

by R. Jun
203129e537e44f9da8b3abb2f57a054e.jpeg?s=

SBS’s upcoming drama “Doctor John” starring Ji Sung has released a new poster!

The drama is about pain management doctors who seek to pinpoint sources of pain in patients. Ji Sung plays Cha Yo Han, a highly skilled doctor who’s been dubbed “Doctor 10 Seconds” for his ability to quickly assess and accurately diagnose patients.

With text placed meaningfully as a tear track on Ji Sung’s face, the new poster says, “I will not ignore your pain.”

A source from “Doctor John” said, “Ji Sung is himself ‘Doctor 10 Seconds’ Cha Yo Han, who focuses on patients’ pain and can relate to their pain better than anyone.”

“Doctor John” premieres July 19 at 10 p.m. KST, and will air on Fridays and Saturdays.

doctor-john-ji-sung.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1337619wpp/upcoming-drama-starring-ji-sung-reveals-first-poster

Actor Lee Ju-won, exclusive contract with Star Village .. SBS joins 'Doctor John'

PS19071100020.jpg

Lee Joo Won is scheduled to perform on SBS drama 'Doctor John', which will be on air from July 19, and is expected to become more active after signing a contract with Star Village Entertainment.

Lee Joo-won, who made impressive performances in films such as 'Backward' and 'Idol', was awarded the actor prize of the 20th Pusan International Film Festival and the actor of the 37th Golden Picture Awards.

https://www.edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01138166622553536&mediaCodeNo=258

Upcoming Medical Drama Releases Character Posters Of Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, And Lee Kyu Hyung

by L. Kim

7a061bbe9f7449b285ef80a8fb3a7255.jpeg?s=

SBS’s upcoming medical drama “Doctor John” has unveiled character posters for its main cast.

“Doctor John” stars Ji SungLee Se Young, and Lee Kyu Hyung, and it tells the story of doctors who try to uncover the unknown causes of pain that their chronically ill patients experience.

With the release of their character posters, anticipation for the drama has increased. The three lead characters are holding their palms out as if touching a window that is covered by water droplets.

First off, Ji Sung, who plays genius doctor Cha Yo Han, has a soft yet gentle smile and trustworthy look. The unshakable look of intelligence and the phrase “The reason a patient suffers is because a doctor does nothing,” reveals the most important aspect of Cha Yo Han, who devotes himself to his patients and always does his best for them.

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1338259wpp/upcoming-medical-drama-releases-character-posters-of-ji-sung-lee-se-young-and-lee-kyu-hyung

Prisoners and protests in new teaser for SBS medical drama Doctor John

by tccolb

dj6.jpg

The story is set around a team of doctors in the anesthesiology and pain management unit who take on patients afflicted by mysterious types of pain and try to discover the causes of their pain. Heading the team is Ji Sung (Familiar Wife) who plays the confident and skilled Dr. John Cha. He’s joined by Lee Se-young (The Crowned Clown) playing second-year resident Dr. Kang Shi-young and Hwang Hui (Arthdal Chronicles) playing a fellow at the hospital – Dr. Lee Yoo-joon.

Ji Sung’s character is not your average doctor. Of course, he’s a geeeenuis, but unlike most doctors, he’s also spent time in prison due to the death of a patient in his charge. Lee Kyu-hyung (Life) joins the cast as prosecutor Sohn Seok-ki. He handled the murder-malpractice trial three years ago, when a patient had died under Ji Sung’s care. Convinced that Ji Sung is a dangerous doctor, Sohn Seok-ki continues to keep an eye on him after his release from prison.

The newly released preview teaser is compiled of scenes from the drama’s first episodes and it starts with an aerial shot of a crowd of inmates surrounding a prisoner who’s collapsed. As Lee Se-young tries to treat the collapsed man, someone frantically looks for Ji Sung: “Where is he? Inmate 6238?” The crowd parts as Ji Sung walks toward Lee Se-young and he takes over handling the treatment as we hear Lee Se-young ask in voice-over, “Who is that person? Is he a doctor?” The scene cuts to Lee Se-young accompanying the paramedics as they rush the collapsed man to the hospital. Hwang Hee responds to Lee Se-young’s question, “Are you crazy? Do you even know why he was incarcerated?” Lee Se-young looks taken aback and asks, “What are you talking about?” The scene changes to Lee Se-young and Ji Sung talking in her office, and Ji Sung leans close as he challenges her: “Try properly diagnosing that patient with me then, starting now.”

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/prisoners-and-protests-in-new-teaser-for-sbs-medical-drama-doctor-john/

July 15 2019

Ep.1-2 trailer for SBS drama series “Doctor John”

Doctor_John-CP1SM1.jpg

Ep.1-2 trailer added for SBS drama series “Doctor John” starring Ji Sung, Lee Se-Young and Lee Kyu-Hyung. Meanwhile, above and below are three character posters from the upcoming drama series. Featured on the posters are Ji Sung as Cha Yo-Han, Lee Se-Young as Kang Shi-Young and Lee Kyu-Hyung as Son Seok-Ki. Below those three is a teaser poster for the drama series.

“Doctor John” first airs July 19, 2019 in South Korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/ep-1-2-trailer-for-sbs-drama-series-doctor-john

“Doctor John” Releases Striking Main Posters Ahead Of Premiere This Week

by L. Kim
7b0cdc967ec443f4a787957b66ce5005.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Doctor John” has shared its official main posters!

The upcoming drama stars Ji SungLee Se Young, and Lee Kyu Hyung, and it tells the story of doctors who try to uncover the unknown causes of pain that their chronically ill patients experience.

On July 16, one poster with solely Ji Sung and another poster featuring the three main characters were unveiled. In the poster with Ji Sung, he is sitting inside a transparent box with his knees pulled towards his chest while wearing a doctor’s gown.

With rainbow lights drawn on the floor, as if a streak of light passed through a prism, foggy smog quietly fills the glass case. In addition, the phrase “Human medical sympathizing with your pain” sits next to the right of Ji Sung. It’s said that his character Cha Yo Han is both the “Doctor of Death” and “Doctor of Salvation.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1339050wpp/doctor-john-releases-striking-main-posters-ahead-of-premiere-this-week

Premiere Watch:

by stroopwafel

Doctor John

premwatch_justice6.jpg

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Medical
Episode count: 32 episodes (35 minute episodes)

Reasons to watch: Our other medical drama of the week, Doctor John is based on a Japanese novel. Ji Sung stars as the eponymous doctor, John Cha. He’s as arrogant as he is brilliant, but that arrogance belies his utter devotion to his patients. He’s practically obsessed with relieving them of their pain, so when a long-suffering patient dies under his care, it’s easy for people to assume the worst. And so, that’s how Ji Sung ends up on trial and in prison. It’s not all bad as that’s where he meets costar Lee Se-young. Lee is a 2nd year resident of anesthesiology and pain management at her family’s hospital. She meets Ji Sung while volunteering at his prison, and he inspires her to approach medicine with a renewed vigor. Post-prison, they’re reunited at her family’s hospital, this time with Ji Sung as her advisor. But he’s not quite free–Lee Kyu-hyung will be playing the Javert to his Jean Valjean. Having prosecuted him years prior, Lee believes Ji Sung to be as dangerous as ever. It remains to be seen if Ji Sung will be able to escape the watchful eye of Lee Kyu-hyung.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/premiere-watch-justice-rookie-historian-gu-hae-ryung-doctor-detective-class-of-lies-doctor-john-golden-garden/

14 hours ago, larus said:

Ji Sung stars as the eponymous doctor, John Cha. He’s as arrogant as he is brilliant, but that arrogance belies his utter devotion to his patients. He’s practically obsessed with relieving them of their pain, so when a long-suffering patient dies under his care, it’s easy for people to assume the worst. And so, that’s how Ji Sung ends up on trial and in prison. It’s not all bad as that’s where he meets costar Lee Se-young. Lee is a 2nd year resident of anesthesiology and pain management at her family’s hospital. She meets Ji Sung while volunteering at his prison, and he inspires her to approach medicine with a renewed vigor. Post-prison, they’re reunited at her family’s hospital, this time with Ji Sung as her advisor. But he’s not quite free–Lee Kyu-hyung will be playing the Javert to his Jean Valjean. Having prosecuted him years prior, Lee believes Ji Sung to be as dangerous as ever. It remains to be seen if Ji Sung will be able to escape the watchful eye of Lee Kyu-hyung.

Love this synopsis already.  I guess the patient that died under JiSung’s care may well have been “helped” along the way by JiSung (thereby touching on the topic of euthanasia).  Euthanasia is illegal in Korea.  Guess that’s why some go overseas to where it is legal to end their lives here on earth.  Am not sure how they will swing the whole getting back into medical practice again especially if he was charged, but I am willing to let this slide. LKH’s Javert role - loving the analogy already. :).

EDIT to add Soompi article. https://www.soompi.com/article/1339676wpp/ji-sung-compares-his-past-medical-drama-new-heart-to-doctor-john-describes-his-teamwork-with-lee-se-young

Ji Sung and Lee Se Young shared their thoughts on their drama “Doctor John.”

“Doctor John” tells the story of doctors who try to uncover the unknown causes of pain felt by chronically ill patients.

On July 18, Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, Lee Kyu HyungHwang HeeJung Min AhKim Hye Eun, and Shin Dong Mi attended a press conference for the new SBS series.

Ji Sung will portray Cha Yo Han, Hanse Hospital’s youngest anesthesiology professor and the most promising doctor in his field. This is the actor’s first medical drama in 12 years after “New Heart.”

He began, “I feel a lot of responsibility. I was a resident in ‘New Heart,’ but I’m appearing as a professor this time. ‘New Heart’ was really meaningful because it was my first project after being discharged from the military. I remember working hard while preparing for it. After completing that drama, I thought, ‘In the future, I should play a professor and not a resident,’ and my dream came true.”

He continued, “It’s very meaningful to me. I like hospitals. I like the smell of hospitals and the smell of disinfectants. There’s a feeling of calmness when going to the hospital. I think that it’s a space where there’s the most amount of sincerity in the world. My mind feels comfortable when I go to the hospital, so I felt more excited than when selecting another project.”

The actor added, “I’m preparing in various ways to play an anesthesiology professor. I have the mindset of sincerely studying everything I can. I thought that I should be at a point where I can be responsible for what I say in my lines.”

“Since I have congenital spondylosis (spinal bone defect), I don’t have bones in certain parts,” revealed Ji Sung. “So I used to exercise for my health, and I could relate [to the drama] a lot since I paid a lot of attention to my health. If someone says their lower back hurts, I have a lot to say as if I’m an anesthesiologist. I can relate to it in terms of maintaining my health, and I like it.”

Doctor-John3.jpg

On his teamwork with Lee Se Young, Ji Sung said, “She works really hard in real life. I’m also that way, so I think that I should work hard in order to not cause harm. Lee Se Young is actually my sunbae (senior in the industry). She’s been in this field for a while, so I liked seeing her acting with responsibility. I think I’ve met a really good partner.”

“I joined the drama with a joyful heart after hearing that director Jo Soo Won and Ji Sung would be in it,” said Lee Se Young. “I heard that people feel a lot of comfort just for the fact that people sympathize with them during their hard and painful times. I hope that many people will feel comfort and healing while watching our drama.”

Lee Kyu Hyung added, “I immediately said that I would be in the drama when I heard that Ji Sung and Lee Se Young would be in it. The script was so easy to read. I liked that it had joys and sorrows while not being provocative.”

O JiSung I like you already!  I love hospitals and the disinfectant smell  :lol:

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John 의사 요한 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST- Ji Sung & Lee Se Young - Premieres TONIGHT

Watch: Lee Se Young And Ji Sung Face Tension With Lives On The Line In “Doctor John” Teaser

Jul 19, 2019
by S. Nam
debd848d85224abb9d1eb5495f802264.jpeg?s=

SBS’s upcoming Friday-Saturday drama “Doctor John” has released a new highlight video!

“Doctor John” tells the story of doctors who try to uncover the unknown causes of pain felt by chronically ill patients. The drama stars Ji Sung, Lee Se Young, and Lee Kyu Hyung.

The video starts off with a security guard in the background telling a story of a “crazy guy” who got scratched across his chest and proceeded to sew himself back up without using anesthesia. However, the story is cut off when a prison inmate suddenly experiences a medical emergency. Resident Kang Si Young (Lee Se Young) is lost as to what the cause is, but Cha Yo Han (Ji Sung) gives her the answer, showing off his vast knowledge and eventually impressing Lee Yoo Joon (Hwang Hee).

Cha Yo Han is also shown criticizing Kang Si Young for her lack of knowledge, causing her to explode, “I did a good job for my first time!” Cha Yo Han coldly replies by telling her to go back to school if she wants to be coddled. Nonetheless, Cha Yo Han seems to be unaware of Kang Si Young’s hidden past accident as she says, “This person doesn’t know what I’ve gone through.”

Tension continues to build again as another prisoner falls sick. Cha Yo Han desperately looks for Kang Si Young, and when they finally meet, he says, “If this patient dies tonight, it’s not because of disease but because a doctor didn’t do anything.” Unfortunately, Lee Yoo Joon doesn’t believe Kang Si Young when she tells him that the patient has a rare disease.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1339730wpp/watch-lee-se-young-and-ji-sung-face-tension-with-lives-on-the-line-for-doctor-john-teaser

http://koalasplayground.com/2019/07/18/who-put-ji-sung-in-a-box-in-official-posters-for-sbs-medical-drama-doctor-john/

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

First episode was brilliant.  Really kinda stressful and I'm not a fan of blood-and-guts stuff but everything about this episode was so good. I was actually screaming "hurry so he won't die" at the screen at the end of the episode.  Gotta know what happens next so I'll be watching for sure. 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, thistle said:

First episode was brilliant.  Really kinda stressful and I'm not a fan of blood-and-guts stuff but everything about this episode was so good. I was actually screaming "hurry so he won't die" at the screen at the end of the episode.  Gotta know what happens next so I'll be watching for sure. 

That’s my only gripe :lol:.  I was like “patient is having trouble breathing, no time for long looks or chatter, every second counts, his brain is being starved of oxygen, could end up in a vegetative state” with the inmate that had the deep neck oedema (swelling).  And with inmate 5353 with petechiae on extremities (?)...the whole conversation about Dr Kang taking him to hospital.  I guess Yo-han couldn’t do the same.  He already had a diagnosis and needed her to follow through with it at the hospital end. 

JiSung is awesome as a doctor.  Love his portrayal.  And the medical stuff doesn’t make me eye roll so it’s a plus. SeYoung is holding her own against him.  I like her character.  There’s room for growth.  Love how she takes on the male inmates who try to take advantage of a woman in an all male prison.  :lol:.

Archived