Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

16 hours ago, nona88 said:

dont know if he was just the father of one of the kids

Yeah that stumps me a bit.  The nurse has him down on her phone as “Prosecutor Son”?  I don’t know if the subs are wrong.  He looks a bit too old to be her son?  Unless it’s like the Prosecutor for her dead son?  His reasons for taking down YoHan seem to be more societal rather than just purely from a personal perspective?  His argument with YoHan was on a meta level.  He doesn’t want YoHan to influence future doctors or society to believe that euthanasia is a viable option.  He quoted the basic human right to live. So for him, as long as you have breath, you have life.  So you deserve to be here (live).

As I expected, the experimental drug was only going to prolong ‘life’ for the patient that YoHan “killed”.  It was never going to be curative.  It was just a means to delay the inevitable?

So YoHan does have CIPA.  I wasn’t sure they were going to throw the “A” in there because there are some with just CIP (insensitivity to pain) without the accompanying anhidrosis (inability to sweat).  I thought they would drop the “A” to increase his life expectancy...but I guess not.  :lol:  But hey this is KDrama, he may still live on regardless.

I like how they explored the many facets of pain in the last 2 episodes.  Actual and perceived.  Shingles for the patient with no sores?  Rare but plausible. :)

MiRae doesn’t like YoHan because he’s Dr Death to her.  Whenever he’s around, he reminds her constantly of the decision she needs to make about her dad’s condition.  So she resents him and she resents that SiYoung doesn’t feel the same pressure that she does about this decision.  MR hasn’t worked it out herself yet so she would rather just bury it somewhere and delay having to make that decision.  I think Chief Min and SiYoung have already found their own answers to that dilemma, MiRae hasn’t yet.  She is not willing to let her dad go, clinging onto the belief that he will wake up one day and everything will just go back to normal again.  Not an easy decision to make or come to terms with.  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, nrllee said:

MiRae doesn’t like YoHan because he’s Dr Death to her.  Whenever he’s around, he reminds her constantly of the decision she needs to make about her dad’s condition.  So she resents him and she resents that SiYoung doesn’t feel the same pressure that she does about this decision.  MR hasn’t worked it out herself yet so she would rather just bury it somewhere and delay having to make that decision.  I think Chief Min and SiYoung have already found their own answers to that dilemma, MiRae hasn’t yet.  She is not willing to let her dad go, clinging onto the belief that he will wake up one day and everything will just go back to normal again.  Not an easy decision to make or come to terms with.  

MiRae is conflicted and she is more childish than Si Young. She can't and does not want to address the fact that her father is hanging barely to life and they have to make a decision to either keep him hanging or let him go. She also has sibling jealousy and can't stand it that Si Young has turned her life around despite the set back. I don't like her mother, she wants to use Yo-Han and I don't like that one bit. But I do love how Yo-Han and Si-Young's growing understanding and little moments they share. Next week is the quarantine episode. I am hoping we get to see more of a concerned Yo-Han for Si Young.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

On 8/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, thistle said:

That's me as well.  But I'm also kinda taking those conversations personally because (as I revealed earlier on this thread) I have had to make the decision to remove life support.  Listening to what JH has had to say has been very enlightening, and the scene where they talked "in a box" had a big impact on me.  This show has made me cry, too.

And, yeah, I love the chemistry.  They are both really talented actors who know how to fill a scene.  

From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate you sharing your story. It only makes the watching experience and the reading experience here in this soompi thread even more special and touching. It must have been difficult to go back into that moment of your life and express it in words, but I felt warmth, courage and love through your connection with your mom.

It helped me to understand this little anecdote of this fictional character in No One Writes Back by Jang Eun Jin. The narrator encounters this man who has been reading poems for 20 years to a friend who has been in a coma. But he will soon say good bye to his friend because the doctors decided to remove his friend's respirator. He also had to say goodbye to his cat because the vet recommended euthanasia. And the narrator notes, "At that moment, the book of poems looked like an object that held the essence of life."

What was difficult was also beautiful.

Strengths are vulnerabilities and vulnerabilities are strengths. 

The society labels and standards can be disheartening. KSY mentions there was a .00001 percentage of going back into the hospital. 

KSY, a top student malpractice, felt so much darkness and fear but found hope in a prison where CYH was.

CYH an ex-convict who can't feel pain but solves the suffering of patients at the Pain Management Center.

He understands the preciousness of life through understanding painless pains.

It led him to where he is and helped him guide the kid diagnosed with CIPA to living fully. They both listen and understand each other.

The doctor is there for the patient and the patient is there for the doctor. 

And through this experience, KSY no longer focuses on the problem of society labeling her empathy as excessive.

She no longer hides in the darkness. She runs toward solutions and learns that "the patient's story opens up the path to the answer". 
That answer is seeing through the pain and beauty. 

What you have been through @thistle is what I haven't been through, but it helps me to understand the poetic aspects of life. Thank you for helping me see that. 

Side note: I can't ignore that scene of the prosecutor having to back up his car to not cross the line. He's gotta back up to realign his beliefs and to understand law and life in a deeper level. Hence, I am waiting for a scene of CYH diagnosing the prosector's pain and leaving the prosector to answer what kind of doctor CYH is. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Yeah that stumps me a bit.  The nurse has him down on her phone as “Prosecutor Son”?  I don’t know if the subs are wrong.  He looks a bit too old to be her son?  Unless it’s like the Prosecutor for her dead son? 

His name is Son Suk Ki hence prosecutor Son, not an actual son :D I think one of the two boys that were killed by the euthanized patient might be somehow related to SSK. Initially I thought that he was simply the prosecutor who handled this case but his memento ring and the fact that he visited the columbarium made me think that he's motivation is a lot more personal.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nateko said:

His name is Son Suk Ki hence prosecutor Son, not an actual son :D I think one of the two boys that were killed by the euthanized patient might be somehow related to SSK. Initially I thought that he was simply the prosecutor who handled this case but his memento ring and the fact that he visited the columbarium made me think that he's motivation is a lot more personal.

I hope not because this wouldn't be realistic. If the prosecutor somehow had some relationship with the criminal, then this would have been known. 

I am really sick of KMR: so self-righteous and narrow-minded. Saying that KSY made a malpractice is totally wrong because she just followed the patient's request. A doctor can not do anything without the patient's permission. I guess, she is like one of these doctors who won't take patients if they can not save them. Remember the chairman's words: A doctor can save all his patients, if he doesn't take patients with incurable disease. The last episode confirmed my perception of KMR: she doesn't care for her patients. Since they found something wrong, then she would ask for the surgery and refused to answer the patient's question: if he gets a surgery, will the pain disappear? She knew that she couldn't confirm this, hence she avoided to answer by telling him that the surgeon was the best! So she actually was putting the responsibility on the surgeon. KMR is taking no responsibility in her work. And I suspect that the mother will use CYH for her husband: CYH should become responsible for her husband. That way, she doesn't want to feel guilty.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Coming back to romance mood 

• " step away right now ":heart: OMG  I love him so much he not the type who hold on when it about someone  he like, as i said he just speak my mind i want him to step back first before anything also  
  • Touching head scene, :blush:is that me only or there other that felt  shy like SY seeing his face looking at her with that look at his face in that scene, he was so close her heart could stopped- SY final start to be aware  of him as man before he was a doctor, teacher , hope and savior but from the ep 4 she start to see him as man 
  • "I like your drawing ":kiss_wink: they in bad situations  but still he have the time to be sweet to her at any chance 
  • " where are you right now " is this MAN aware How he acting like boyfriend or husband already!!!  :smirk:He not acting as professor around her 
  • " I want more people to know what kind of doctor you are " :wub: did you see CYH fast but cute reaction there , his heart beat there he give that shy smile and sparking eyes  it mean " I am that good in her eyes" 
  • and it total is it me only notice that CYH keep touching SY in casually way, when he touch her hand , put his hand on her back to make her enter before him and getting close to her while talking or when she sitting and so many little scene even while working show how he casual around her, I dont say he doing that cause he wanted  it just natural from him he dont feel line with her as teacher he see her from the start as someone special to him so he act naturally around her ( I like his innocent act around her, he just shown his feeling automatic without though or planning it ) 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

hi all, want to join this thread as I'm enjoying this ongoing drama so much by far.

It makes me thinking:

to be able to cure someone's pain is a really strong sentence

and also,

to be able to make someone feels pain when they numb is also important..

I hope that I can taking care of those people I love the best as I can..^_^

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Never been the one to post anything, I had always been a silent reader but because of this great drama, i decided to show my support by making a post :blush: 

This drama just reminded me of Beautiful Mind (2016) which starred Jang Hyuk and Park So Dam. In Doctor John, the ML doesn't feel any pain but in Beautiful Mind, the ML cannot feel any emotion. I know its different but maybe the age gap btw the leads, 15 years apart (btw Ji Sung and Lee Se Young & Jang Hyuk and Park So Dam) reminded me of Beautiful Mind.

Both are great drama for sure, I'm really shipping CYH and KSY together.

Keep up the great post guys, love reading your opinions and thoughts :heart:

• Like 9

This is so far one of the best medical drama I have seen. They portrayed more unique illness and focusing on how to cure the patients and at the same time, making it simple on the medical terms. Very good drama. Thumbs up! 

The only thing that I’m curious is why the prosecutor hates him so much? 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

I’m still waiting for the day when SY tries to comfort John, like how John comfort SY...I feel like the more we watch, the more we understand him. He is honestly a very interesting person. :w00t:

• Like 10
  • Love 2

This drama keeps getting better and better. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I hope not because this wouldn't be realistic. If the prosecutor somehow had some relationship with the criminal, then this would have been known. 

I am really sick of KMR: so self-righteous and narrow-minded. Saying that KSY made a malpractice is totally wrong because she just followed the patient's request. A doctor can not do anything without the patient's permission. I guess, she is like one of these doctors who won't take patients if they can not save them. Remember the chairman's words: A doctor can save all his patients, if he doesn't take patients with incurable disease. The last episode confirmed my perception of KMR: she doesn't care for her patients. Since they found something wrong, then she would ask for the surgery and refused to answer the patient's question: if he gets a surgery, will the pain disappear? She knew that she couldn't confirm this, hence she avoided to answer by telling him that the surgeon was the best! So she actually was putting the responsibility on the surgeon. KMR is taking no responsibility in her work. And I suspect that the mother will use CYH for her husband: CYH should become responsible for her husband. That way, she doesn't want to feel guilty.

I can’t stand KMR either!! Like I get she’s upset with KSY about her dad, but on a professional level she is just so unprofessional. It was KSY that analyzed their patients diary, and when she stopped the surgery, there was this scowl on KMRs face just like when she watched KSH helping YH in the surgery. I feel like she uses her dads death to justify her jealousy, something she probably had even before her dad died as someone in the same field as her older sister that probably was always a bit more talented than her in medicine. I mean if she really were a true doctor, she wouldn’t care if KSY her worse enemy is the one that helped her patient, she would care that her patient is saved and gonna be okay. It’s like she cannot separate personal with professional. I get that with her dad, but even with regular patients? She doesn’t seem relieved or happy at all that they didn’t have to do an UNNECESSARY surgery on a person that already tries to avoid pain as much as possible because of their condition. It grated my nerves so much, she had no right to criticize YH at the dinner or throw a whole hissy fit about it. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

@Sarang21 , @Lawyerh 

Me :joy::mrgreen:

That scene was so cute. Poor KSY her wasn´t ready :joy:.

Since a lot of people has already expresses the sentiment that I feel about KMR there is nothing more to add except for the fact that I don´t want her to get together with Lee Yoo Joon like the character chart implied. He is too good for her. 

As for the prosecutor is his job that boring that, harassing CYH wasn´t enough but now he wants to put his nose into KSY´s father´s situation? How is it any of his business I´m glad that CYH put him in his place and told him that he doesn´t give a richard simon about what he thinks of him. 

I have this thought that KMR and that prosecutor will someday work together. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying this show - waiting for it to get down to the nitty gritty though (more about the ML's childhood, the case, his family etc) - seems like prison had zero impact on him which seems a bit unrealistic?

Also anyone know if the OST from when she was following him towards the end of episode 12 is out yet? Can't seem to find it.

• Like 7

@anony12345 I am waiting for that ost at the end of ep 12 to come out, too!!! 

I love the song and I am guessing it is Bol4, but I can be wrong. The singer does sound familiar to me. Do you have any clues or guesses? 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, ponderings said:

@anony12345 I am waiting for that ost at the end of ep 12 to come out, too!!! 

I love the song and I am guessing it is Bol4, but I can be wrong. The singer does sound familiar to me. Do you have any clues or guesses? 

I don't think it's Bol4 - the singer in that duo has a fairly distinct voice whereas the OST one was much softer. And I feel like they would have advertised it if Bol4 did the soundtrack. I was thinking Gummy originally but I also think they probably would have advertised that so absolutely no clue in conclusion! Maybe Yerin Baek.

Also a few things I'm unsure about

Did the mother of the guy he apparently euthanised try to kill him first?

Also, not sure if it's the translation issue but the relationships in the show with regards to the FL's family. Her mom is the chief, her dad is the chairman, a sister a fellow doctor, but then I'm pretty sure the subs said one of the big dogs at the hospital is her uncle, but then she calls the other senior doctor aunty? Does she have an aunt or uncle at the hospital and is it the mom or dad side

• Like 5

@Sarang21 , @Lawyerh , @sushilicious It’s so fascinating how oppa didn’t change by years :joy:I think he like staircase romance  :mrgreen:

15649502351564950157.gif

15649497981564949631.gif

* Why I think this drama will be a romance

• Like 5
  • LOL 8