[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

larus

I just had the chance to watch the latest ep.  I enjoyed their warm scenes.  The part where YH looked like he was sitting on needles (when the 3 intruders came) was funny.  I do see that he loves her but it's also clear that he plans to leave her.  I can't sense any more sweet scenes coming in the next couple of eps.  I hope I'm wrong because I live for those scenes.  I can watch their flirting scenes for the whole ep.  They make me so happy.

I noticed LSY have a pair of very beautiful eyes, going up against JS's.  This casting is perfection.  I enjoy their gaze battles and their flirting ways so much that they're becoming a sort of addiction.  It'll be hard for me not being able to get those dosages anymore.  And this leads me back to the theme of this drama, where I continue to squirm in pain.  Thank you, Dr. Cha. 

Ep 11 will be about curing the boy.  Then his last patient is the prosecutor.  Before he's even fire, Dr. Stalkalot already wanted to recruit him.  Or maybe threaten him because Dr. Stalkalot grasped YH's weakness and so YH will get entangled in the final boss' web for a bit leading to the climax of the heroine coming to the rescue.  I mean if he doesn't get entangled with the final boss, then what's the point of having this Dr. Stalkalot in the plot?  And really, the revelation of the grand plan is pretty anticlimactic right now.  They need to tie everything together in a tangled web they've weaved all this time to ensure relevance.  Not that I care.  My lovebirds come first and have foremost importance in the hierarchy of things as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom line, I don't care where YH goes or what he does.  As long as SY sticks to him like glue, I'm all for it.  I'm not doing a spoof of Casablanca ending Dr. John version this time.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I am with @hushhh and @nona88.  There are no grounds to fire YH based on his CIPA unless they can prove he is medically unfit somehow to carry out his duties as a doctor.  I guess they could go the path of him being a ticking time bomb and not knowing he is sick/injured and therefore endangering patients he is treating as a result.  Or the fact that he can’t judge hot or cold.  He seems to have fared well circumnavigating his inadequacies thus far with zero collaterals apart from the patient he was deemed to have euthanased.  His Viral Labyrinthitis is another matter though.  You can’t have an anesthesiologist having dizzy spells when he is performing delicate procedures like epidurals or when monitoring a patient in surgery.  So that would be a big problem.

Like @nrllee had shared regarding his viral labyrinthitis, this would definitely act as a problem to both patients & the hospital. However if the next episode is only about his CIPA condition, i would think the hospital has no right to fire him. 

"How can you treat a patient when you do not feel the pain they experiece..."

My view, the hospital did not consider that the pain CYH has to go through to be alive is equivalent to any patient's pain. Both cases have their own unpredictable ending. The fear of uncertainty made CYH the doctor who could relate to the patients.    

Patients may have the thought "You have not gone through daily chemo. Its not like any other usual fever..." 

Pain varies at different condition. Does it mean doctors have to experience all sorts of illness in-order to know their patient's pain? Does this mean that a healthy doctor is unfit to treat the patient? Because they have not experince that sort of pain.

My guess on the next few episodes will be:

> Pain mgmt team + past patients of CYH stand up together to keep CYH in the hospital 

> Cherubim being legalised + CYH being implicated into it due to his past record with euthanasia

> Removal of the ventilator of KSY's father leading to his peaceful death

> CYH condition worsened, KSY saved him. He's still a prof in the hospital after recovery.  

> CYH leaving Korea to not let KSY experience twice of losing people she love (her father & himself)

> KSY appears at cleveland clinic to be with CYH, to be his guardian til his last breath ; no regrets

:D So much guesses but its down to 4 more episodes only!!!! Cant wait! 

My cutie pies.  How adorable they can be.  She's the man of the relationship.  She wears the pants.  She confessed.  She confronted.  She saved him.  She came and claimed him.  I love her assertive ways.  She's a lady of action.  And I love him for following her lead.

She waited for him when he was doing his treatment.  "That's what a guardian does.  Waiting", she said.  Guardian=legal guardian=wife/spouse?  Is that it?  Well, make it official then.  She gallantly carried his bag for him.  He gave her a sweet smile.  Then in the elevator, she shielded him and he liked that.  He again smiled sweetly behind her back.  Purposely flirted by whispering, "it's too crowded."  No need to say but hey he wanted a intimate moment with her.  Then he took her to a coffee shop, jelly ogled her to death after Mr. Park complimented they look good together.  I concur with the sentiment, Mr. Park. 

He felt dizzy.  She played the man again and offered her hand.  They held hands for the first time, as lovers walking down the street.  She let him have the upper hand until grocery shopping phase transition.  Now the wife showed her dominant trait.  They were like any normal married couple.  The wife chose the groceries and husband pushed the cart following her around.  "Answer me."  "Yes, ma'am."  YH is a smart man.  He seemed to enjoy being bossed around by his lady.  He looked at her affectionately after her command.

After husband and wife team went shopping and got groceries home, they took them out from the bag.  Husband handed stuff over to wife as she put them neatly on the floor and told him when to eat what.  "You want to fatten me up?"  "Sure that would be good."  Then there was ringing in his ear so she took care of him, taking his temperature, his pulse, gingerly.  Then they gazed into each other eyes and got lost in there for a while.  Truly.  Madly.  Deeply.  And with all the feelings of love pouring out of his eyeballs, I thought he would kiss her but then they began their heart to heart talk.  He meandered his point around the bushes for a little while until the bell rang.  He directed her to go into his private quarter.  "You'll be ok?"  Look at her once, look at her twice, look at her thrice, hesitant to leave.  Then he spent the whole time looking cutely suspicious and blatantly told the boys to go home asap.  They should have taken the clue earlier.  He rushed back but she was gone.  The next day he came back to work, bought drink specifically for her and took it out to hand to her just in case someone mistakenly scoop it up. 

Those moments.  I took everything.  The only problem is I still don't know how they view their relationship.  They already went through all the phases of a romantic relationship.  He met her.  Picked on her like a boy picked on the girl he liked.  Ogled at her.  Followed her and quietly sat while she cried.  Tied her shoelaces and comforted her.  More of ogling, stalking each other, then climaxing when he went in for her and finally climaxed when she confessed.  Then we had subway date, coffee date, holding hands, grocery shopping, spending the evening in his home.  In other words, they've gone through the complete phases and are currently at marriage stage.  But wait, what is their relationship?  (I feel like there's a message attached like a recurring theme.  You want all romantic phases?  I'll give you everything but you still won't be able to define their relationship.  Ha!  There goes the evil laughter again.)

edit

But there's one thing I'm sure of.  The heroine will follow her Romeo to the end of the Earth no matter where he goes.

38 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

My cutie pies.  How adorable they can be.  She's the man of the relationship.  She wears the pants.  She confessed.  She confronted.  She saved him.  She came and claimed him.  I love her assertive ways.  She's a lady of action.  And I love him for following her lead.

She waited for him when he was doing his treatment.  "That's what a guardian does.  Waiting", she said.  Guardian=legal guardian=wife/spouse?  Is that it?  Well, make it official then.  She gallantly carried his bag for him.  He gave her a sweet smile.  Then in the elevator, she shielded him and he liked that.  He again smiled sweetly behind her back.  Purposely flirted by whispering, "it's too crowded."  No need to say but hey he wanted a intimate moment with her.  Then he took her to a coffee shop, jelly ogled her to death after Mr. Park complimented they look good together.  I concur with the sentiment, Mr. Park. 

He felt dizzy.  She played the man again and offered her hand.  They held hands for the first time, as lovers walking down the street.  She let him have the upper hand until grocery shopping phase transition.  Now the wife showed her dominant trait.  They were like any normal married couple.  The wife chose the groceries and husband pushed the cart following her around.  "Answer me."  "Yes, ma'am."  YH is a smart man.  He seemed to enjoy being bossed around by his lady.  He looked at her affectionately after her command.

After husband and wife team went shopping and got groceries home, they took them out from the bag.  Husband handed stuff over to wife as she put them neatly on the floor and told him when to eat what.  "You want to fatten me up?"  "Sure that would be good."  Then there was ringing in his ear so she took care of him, taking his temperature, his pulse, gingerly.  Then they gazed into each other eyes and got lost in there for a while.  Truly.  Madly.  Deeply.  And with all the feelings of love pouring out of his eyeballs, I thought he would kiss her but then they began their heart to heart talk.  He meandered his point around the bushes for a little while until the bell rang.  He directed her to go into his private quarter.  "You'll be ok?"  Look at her once, look at her twice, look at her thrice, hesitant to leave.  Then he spent the whole time looking cutely suspicious and blatantly told the boys to go home asap.  They should have taken the clue earlier.  He rushed back but she was gone.  The next day he came back to work, bought drink specifically for her and took it out to hand to her just in case someone mistakenly scoop it up. 

:heart: this!

i'm giggling reading this with a silly smile on my face :blush: *tell u, i'm not yet watch the ep :lol:

Still not finish watching ep 12

The hugged :wub:, geez i love how he is resistant at first but when she start lean on him and rub her face against his shoulder, he automatically carress her nape and her back.

Too bad we didnt get to see what happen after, as they forward the next episode to him doing the health check. But im good coz SY is now his guardian, and we get quite lots of sweet scenes following. 

> The Elevator scene, its funny how she who has much smaller figure, shielding him with the bigger body :joy:

> The holding hand scene, what a beautiful back view of them, next you should aim for the muscular arm siyoung ahh 

> The groceris shopping, "Answer me" , "..........." , " Yes, mam..."  BUAHAHAHA. Now thats our girl, proud of you  

> The vital check scene, Omo omo... He smiled when she comfort talk him about the dream he had. He totally knock down by her. 

> The sticky note she left for him, now after read that and you still thinking of leaving her to go to the US, i hope you burn in regret Dr Cha :angry:

> The "ice mocca" scene, I realize it the second time i watch that scene, that he order a seperate menu for her just because she order the same menu as the last time they were in a coffee shop. Aint that adorablee, he remember, he put that into his consideration, Its sweet it almost hurt my teeth.

> The surprise cake scene, look at how sweet he looked at the drawing that SY make of him. He take that out of the cake, i bet he will frame it and keep it stored.

Also the scenes in ep 11, where he whisper to her that whatever happen to him she will be the forst one to be alarmed. He promise that. 

Based on this i dont think he will make the decision to leave her, he said it not just once, he is a man of his word, so i think it will be out of his character if he execute that plan. NO. 

I cried buckets with the last couple of episodes. I hope that we get a happy (as happy can be) ending knowing CYH condition. I just don't want him to die in the end. The romance between CYH/KSY just started, but I'm truly invested. It's so sweet seeing Dr. Cha falling in love. 

auwwww why dr. cha crying after reading the note? happiness is it? :bawling: wanna hug him... eh :tounge_xd::joy:

ok silly question here, why dr. cha wearing the same clothe at home? he looks like a minimalist but come on, make it different color juseyooooooo   

Why do I get the feeling that he decided to run away after reading her notes?

I coincidentally read something on euthanasia and realize it's only legal in some states (not mine unfortunately.)  I'm not sure what is the big bloody deal about this hush hush secret plan and the "code" name that has to be investigated.  They make it looks like some terrible plan about to be revealed. 

I can't say I understand correctly.  When the lawyer said to Dr. Cha if you're protected by law, does that mean euthanasia somehow will be legalized in the coming eps?  So they can use the drug (which its only purpose is to give terminal patients a painless end).

On 8/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, littleloony said:

A good MV, mostly because it has all the CYh- KSy scenes :D

Also can anyone tell me, what sort of consequence there can be in real life if a person with CIPA or some such congenital condition does practice in the medical field? I mean what penalty will he/she face, if any? any rules of medical boards in this regard?

It's a nice MV.  My only beef is the lyrics of the song where it depicts the girl left him.  "And then you pulled the rug."  Who pulled the rug?  :P

13회 의사요한

노력한다는 그 약속

마침내 밝혀진 요한의 비밀. 편견어린 시선과 비난 속에서도 요한은 시영, 통증팀원들과의 든든한 팀플레이 속에 기석이 쓰러진 원인을 찾기 위한 노력을 계속한다. 한편, 요한에 대한 진정성을 느낀 손석기는 요한의 병을 폭로한 채은정을 찾아가는데...

Source

Doctor Yohan Ep 13

Working Hard on That Promise

Yo Han's secret is finally revealed. Despite the prejudice and criticisms that Yo Han faces, with strong team-play, Yo Han, Si Yeong and the pain centre team members try their best to find out the reason why Gi-seok collapsed. On the other hand, Son Seok-ki feels that Yo Han is credible and goes to find Chae Eun Jeong who had revealed Yo Han's disease ...

*Edit*

Doesn't seem too bad does it?

But I wonder what promise the title of the episode is referring to..

2 hours ago, fruitkatsu said:

13회 의사요한

노력한다는 그 약속

마침내 밝혀진 요한의 비밀. 편견어린 시선과 비난 속에서도 요한은 시영, 통증팀원들과의 든든한 팀플레이 속에 기석이 쓰러진 원인을 찾기 위한 노력을 계속한다. 한편, 요한에 대한 진정성을 느낀 손석기는 요한의 병을 폭로한 채은정을 찾아가는데...

Source

Doctor Yohan Ep 13

Working Hard on That Promise

Yo Han's secret is finally revealed. Despite the prejudice and criticisms that Yo Han faces, with strong team-play, Yo Han, Si Yeong and the pain centre team members try their best to find out the reason why Gi-seok collapsed. On the other hand, Son Seok-ki feels that Yo Han is credible and goes to find Chae Eun Jeong who had revealed Yo Han's disease ...

*Edit*

Doesn't seem too bad does it?

But I wonder what promise the title of the episode is referring to..

The main content in the next ep will be finding the right diagnosis for the boy so the promise is related to the boy probably.

No romantic scenes/progress mentioned.  :bawling:  The bigger question is how will I live without my HanYoung romantic scenes.  I may need to seek Dr. Cha at pain central.  Maybe I should do a HanYoung MV using the song "How do I live".

@fruitkatsuI think the promise is for Yohan to find a cure for CIPA, he said that once when they had the surgery procedure for the boy.

And maybe the promise he made for SY as well, to not make her worry.

I still believe that YH will keep that promise, he is serious about that as we can see when he whisper to SY that she will be the one to known when anything happen to him. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Shinobu said:

She waited for him when he was doing his treatment.  "That's what a guardian does.  Waiting", she said.  Guardian=legal guardian=wife/spouse?  Is that it?  Well, make it official then. 

I think she is referring to the legal term.  He is supposed to nominate a guardian as per his doctor’s orders.  Someone to make end of life decisions for him when he can’t.  Like the guardian for the lady with the nasal cancer was her sister.  But I guess you could take that conversation a step further and skip to spouse/wife :lol:.  Usually when someone signs a DNR, most doctors would prefer family members to know about it (although I believe there are a lot that don’t tell their family because they think it’s distressing).  Hospitals prefer to have family or legal guardians know because it avoids litigation down the track.  I don’t know what the laws are in Korea.

Anyway I am completely invested in the love line.  My dear Dr Kang, you must know that consistency is key when taking vitals.  You took his temperature on both sides before?  Did his stare make you lose focus because this time you only took the temperature of one ear?  :lol:  His tachycardia (fast heartbeat) can only mean one thing... :wub:  Curse the 3 Amigos for coming unannounced and ruining that moment.

I am still wondering about the rationale for firing YH because of his CIPA.  That’s like saying an Oncologist can’t practise properly if he himself hasn’t had cancer?  You don’t need to experience pain for yourself to be able to perform your duties as a doctor.

Prosecutor Son is alone.  He has no family?  It’s very odd to receive treatment and not have someone by your side.  He may well need to nominate a guardian too?  Will he ask YH to do the honors?

Cherubim is a drug for euthanasia.  So that’s what they are developing and they want YH on board thinking that he will be happy to play Dr Death like Nitschke.

I think the problem is that hospital cant risk their reputation by hiring someone who are in a state where anything bad can happen at any moment. Just like YH like to describe CIPA as a "time ticking bomb". 

On top of that he has his labyrinthitis, it absolutely a NO for him to continued his activity as a doctor. It will put patients in danger.

i really dont mind if he quit his job as a doctor, he still can contribute by being a researcher, esp regarding CIPA, or being a professor at med school or university. 

He as the researcher and she as the practitioner (doctor)

That would be a perfect combination

Maybe they can open their own lil suburb clinic, find some peace in there, and made lots of lil YH and SY :love:

2 hours ago, Tjhin Tanti said:

and made lots of lil YH and SY 

Didn't YH's dad also suffer from CIPA?  If so, isn't CIPA genetic?  If so, they should Not make babies.  It's a good wish but in real life it would not be wise.

This is a fascinating drama from so many stand points.  I'm still following this thread, although I cannot watch the drama because it hits too hard personally for me on so many levels, and I'm really interested in all the comments.  

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

I think she is referring to the legal term.  He is supposed to nominate a guardian as per his doctor’s orders.  Someone to make end of life decisions for him when he can’t.  Like the guardian for the lady with the nasal cancer was her sister.  But I guess you could take that conversation a step further and skip to spouse/wife :lol:.  Usually when someone signs a DNR, most doctors would prefer family members to know about it (although I believe there are a lot that don’t tell their family because they think it’s distressing).  Hospitals prefer to have family or legal guardians know because it avoids litigation down the track.  I don’t know what the laws are in Korea.

Anyway I am completely invested in the love line.  My dear Dr Kang, you must know that consistency is key when taking vitals.  You took his temperature on both sides before?  Did his stare make you lose focus because this time you only took the temperature of one ear?  :lol:  His tachycardia (fast heartbeat) can only mean one thing... :wub:  Curse the 3 Amigos for coming unannounced and ruining that moment.

I am still wondering about the rationale for firing YH because of his CIPA.  That’s like saying an Oncologist can’t practise properly if he himself hasn’t had cancer?  You don’t need to experience pain for yourself to be able to perform your duties as a doctor.

Prosecutor Son is alone.  He has no family?  It’s very odd to receive treatment and not have someone by your side.  He may well need to nominate a guardian too?  Will he ask YH to do the honors?

Cherubim is a drug for euthanasia.  So that’s what they are developing and they want YH on board thinking that he will be happy to play Dr Death like Nitschke.

YH has no family so the only legal guardian/family member must be his wife. ;)  And I totally agree with you about SY's inconsistency in taking his temperature.  I was thinking the same thing about how she only did one ear. 

I will never forgive the 3 clueless intruders for committing the greatest offense to my lovebirds.  YH and SY were in the mood.  Love was oozing from their eyeballs.  They were going to move to the next milestone which is a passionate kiss then go beyond.  (Insert lyrics:  let's go all the way tonight.  No regret, just love.  You and I.)  You catch my drift?  (Shift brows up and down.)  I mean YH could have reached the highest level in his romantic career.  And he wouldn't have to send an email for a job in the US.  He would be finding another job in Korea and plans his wedding.  I'm so mad and I can't take it anymore.

I do fear that after getting us all invested, they'll hang us high and dry.  The sadistic tone is rather consistent and builds up for the ultimate climax of pain inflection.  I'm shaking in my boots right now.

5 hours ago, Tjhin Tanti said:

I think the problem is that hospital cant risk their reputation by hiring someone who are in a state where anything bad can happen at any moment. Just like YH like to describe CIPA as a "time ticking bomb". 

On top of that he has his labyrinthitis, it absolutely a NO for him to continued his activity as a doctor. It will put patients in danger.

i really dont mind if he quit his job as a doctor, he still can contribute by being a researcher, esp regarding CIPA, or being a professor at med school or university. 

He as the researcher and she as the practitioner (doctor)

That would be a perfect combination

Maybe they can open their own lil suburb clinic, find some peace in there, and made lots of lil YH and SY :love:

He may not want to make little ones due to his illness but enjoying a married life with SY with whatever time he has left would be superb.

*edit*

Actually, this song is more fitting for me to sing.

"...I guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain

Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to seeing you two showing your love..."

That is not to say I anticipate any rug pulling.

9 hours ago, thistle said:

Didn't YH's dad also suffer from CIPA?  If so, isn't CIPA genetic?  If so, they should Not make babies.  It's a good wish but in real life it would not be wise.

It’s autosomal recessive so in Layman’s terms, SY needs to be a carrier of the gene for it to manifest in their children.  Otherwise the children are carriers because YH has 2 copies of the genes (you need 2 to exhibit symptoms).  Assuming YH’s mom isn’t CIPA (don’t know where she is or whether she passed on) and she doesn’t have symptoms of the disease, she would’ve been a carrier of the gene (she has 1 copy).  Let’s say B is the normal gene.  b is the defective gene for CIPA.

YH’s dad is bb (CIPA)

YH’s mum (if she is not exhibiting signs) is Bb (she carries one copy)

Their children would have a 50-50 chance of being bb (CIPA) or Bb (carrier with no symptoms of CIPA).  YH ended up with bb (CIPA).

YH is bb (CIPA)

SY (if she doesn’t carry the gene at all) is BB

All their children will be Bb (carriers)

If SY is a carrier, then the scenario would be similar to YH’s dad’s scenario.

As an aside, Ep 12 was titled Schrödinger’s Cat.  It’s a clever link to the issues being explored.  Granted the original thought experiment (it was never really conducted) was to highlight the fact that in Quantum Physics, there are “superpositions”.  Here it applies quite literally (or metaphorically), that a person who is hooked onto a ventilator (like SY’s dad) is in a state of neither being dead or alive (or having elements of both states depending on your perspective).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

And YH is right.  With the advancement of medicine, the lines between death and life are blurred.  Before the advent of ventilators and defibrillators, if you stopped breathing on your own or your heart stopped, it pretty much spelt the end of life.  The lines were a lot clearer.  

LOl only through this drama that i re-learned the genetic theory i forget i learned once :joy:

Thanks for the reminder @nrllee

Aside from the genetic matter, i only thought that it would be nice if they have kid, so that SY would not be left alone when YH passed away earlier than her. 

Archived