[Drama 2019] Doctor Yo-Han/Doctor John, 의사 요한

larus

So it's hinted that big boss mother hired Dr. Cha because she intended to use him to do the dirty work of performing mercy killing for her husband.  I wonder how she will ask him.  Something like,

Big boss mother:  You know with your resume, it would be a little hard to find a job.  And frankly my dear, I hired you due to your injection experience.  Can you inject you know some stuff into my hubby's IV.  You catch my drift?  (Shift brows up and down.)

Dr. Cha:  Hell no.  I'm glad you noticed I just got out of jail.  You want me to go back there or somethin'?

Big boss mother:  If you don't do it, I'll ask Si Young to do it.  I'm sure she'll be willing.

Dr. Cha:  No, not my woman.  I mean my trainee.  Fine, I'll do it.

Big boss mother (smirk):  Good.  Choose a date.

(As Dr. Cha was about to do his thing whatever it is, Dr. Kang showed up and stopped him.  Somehow and in some ways and other I'm not sure how, she ended up doing it because she didn't want him to do the dirty work.)

Meanwhile, the puppy squad consisted of obsessed prosecutor and sneaky former nurse caught wind of the situation.  Obsessed prosecutor called her on speed dial.

Obsessed prosecutor:  We got him this time.  I mean her.  I mean him.  I mean both.  Whatever.  They're going down.

Sneaky former nurse:  Groovy.  Wait, why am I in this with you again?  Never mind.  Let's go get them.

(to be continued)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New still's 

201908071442052410_1_20190807144342404.j  

Source

Sy look good even in that suit 

For sure CYH need a protection  suit  to go inside  I dont know if they will allow  him since they cant risk more then the doctor that already inside  but cant wait to see him fighting the thoughts that SY maybe get sick :smirk:

1 hour ago, nona88 said:

New still's 

Sy look good even in that suit 

For sure CYH need a protection  suit  to go inside  I dont know if they will allow  him since they cant risk more then the doctor that already inside  but cant wait to see him fighting the thoughts that SY maybe get sick :smirk:

Hopefully SY is safe, Im more concern on CYH.. 

0002945457_001_20190807122022201.jpg?typ

Most welcome @Ameera Ali :kiss_wink: the gif is AWESOME! :lol:

Hello everyone :) 

Joining you all for this awesome drama. The thread is so interesting with all your comments and insights I just had to. 

The power of Ji Sung is such that he got me out of hiatus and posting here again after a gap of 2 long years :D

Quick thoughts -

As per the prevalent imagery of this drama- man/ situations in a box, I am sure you all must have noticed how the dad's code blue scene  also took place in a glass cubicle. At the start there are only 3 people in that cubicle/ box- Mi rae, her mom and her dad the patient. Then in the box comes Shi young and the situation changes. I thought it was very thought provoking. 4 people with 4 different perspectives and convictions regarding the same thing- Mirae not ready yet to change the status quo; her mom unwilling to change the status quo even though she probably knows in her heart that there needs to be a breakthrough; Shi young finally having the courage to let a change happen; and lastly the patient whose wishes, there is no way of knowing, as of now, or even if he has any. I feel this will be the box where all of them come to the same page by the end of the drama and Yohan will be the one to bring them together. In the process Yohan himself will heal--he does have emotional pain and scars to deal with, you can see it in the way he keeps himself slightly distanced from others. 

On 8/5/2019 at 6:52 AM, nona88 said:

Yeh I think that too, if that woman wasn't his mother ( since the mother sue him ) than she was a family member  but yeh she tried  to kill him I think to make him free from pain, 

Yeah I think that scene pretty much said as much.  When YoHan came in, the guy flatlined, he checks the drip (probably morphine, overdose causes respiratory arrest) and the flow rate is very fast...so I guess the mom (?) of the guy probably upped the dose and caused the cardiac arrest.  Had YoHan not intervened, he would’ve just died.  I don’t know if the guy asked his mom to do it but it seemed like the conversation implied that he did.  Because her words were, “He would hang in there if there was any chance that he would get better.  But however much he puts up with it, he will never get better.”  In other words, he wanted to go.  So from that sequence of events, it would appear that YoHan wasn’t the first to assist the patient to die.

As for why the Prosecutor seems so dogmatic about pursuing YoHan and making sure he doesn’t ever get to practice, it may be personal (he keeps fingering that ring of his with memento in it), but in his dialogue with YoHan he seems to have elevated it to a social setting.  He didn’t want YoHan influencing future generations of doctors into believing that euthanasia is a valid option and that they could “play God” in making those decisions about who gets to live and who dies.  So Prosecutor is of the belief that he is protecting the basic fundamental human right to life.  That’s why during that confrontation, there are scenes of a courtroom when they talk in their “box”.  I quite like this directing ploy.  Whenever there is something the PD wants the audience to consider, everything fades and there’s a box where the 2 people are talking.  It’s his way of saying to the audience, “listen hard.  This is important.  Focus on the issues spoken about here in this box.  Form your own opinion about it”.

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

As for why the Prosecutor seems so dogmatic about pursuing YoHan and making sure he doesn’t ever get to practice, it may be personal (he keeps fingering that ring of his with memento in it), but in his dialogue with YoHan he seems to have elevated it to a social setting.

that patient is a kidnapper that caused the deaths of 2 6yo.. i think, the prosecutor and that nurse went to a columbarium in the first episode or something.. remember the scene where she said, the girl would have been 10yo now.. i suspect the girl is either the prosecutor or the nurse’s daughter..

it was a struggle to save that patient who was on clinical trial drug and in deep pain, but a bigger struggle knowing that he is a kidnapper as well. its easier to “just kill him off”..

2 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

that patient is a kidnapper that caused the deaths of 2 6yo.. i think, the prosecutor and that nurse went to a columbarium in the first episode or something.. remember the scene where she said, the girl would have been 10yo now.. i suspect the girl is either the prosecutor or the nurse’s daughter..

it was a struggle to save that patient who was on clinical trial drug and in deep pain, but a bigger struggle knowing that he is a kidnapper as well. its easier to “just kill him off”..

Yeah that was what I thought initially. The nurse’s child was one of the victims. I thought the Prosecutor’s child was the other but wouldn’t it be a conflict of interest to prosecute your child’s killer?  I thought there were laws against that.  It wouldn’t be a fair trial from the get go. 

@sadthe1st I doubt that the prosecutor is related to the criminal of the kidnapping, like the convicted killed his daughter. This would be illegal as the prosecutor is supposed to have no ties with the victim and the accused. In my opinion, the prosecutor's hatred for CYH and euthanasia is connected to his own story, like f. ex. one of his relatives decided to go abroad in order to get euthanasia.

assuming the 2 6yo have nothing related to the prosecutor, another way of interpreting the hatred is, the patient is supposed to continue to live with all the pain (he was nose bleeding and had a gigantic tumor on the belly or something).. he is supposed to continue suffer much much longer (in a way, punishment? since he cannot be convicted in such a state) but was being euthanised and thus, shortened the pain and given the easy way out.. :huh: all just random thoughts.. especially now in ep6 it could have been the elder woman who did it and probably YH who condoned the deed.

3 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

all just random thoughts.. especially now in ep6 it could have been the elder woman who did it and probably YH who condoned the deed

I get the feeling that first failed attempt and YoHan’s resuscitation effort which prompted the lament by the mom (?) was the trigger that cemented his resolve to help the patient end it.  So I think YoHan actually followed through with it a second time himself which resulted in the murder trial.  I think he had been mulling over it for a while as he was managing the patient’s pain meds but hearing the mom verbalize the pain her son was undergoing probably decided it for him.  These decisions aren’t usually made at the spur of the moment.  They are usually agonized over extended periods of time after much thought. 

Yes I think the nurse whose child died definitely wanted a painful end for the killer but I am not sure what the Prosecutor’s true motives are.  The ring is a clue.

Hi I just started this yesterday. And didn't fully watched ep 5 and 6. And I did backtrack about 4 pages of comments. The reason why I mentioned it as there seems to be some sensitive issues shared but I couldn't find the original comment. So I don't mean to be insensitive intentionally.

Because I read so many comments can't find the original comment I am replying to.  Let me prefaced that I like JS and the drama. However I purposely didn't read up on it so had no clue what to expect. 

First thing to get off my chest and I have the flu which means I am more blunt than normal. No person goes in thinking lightly of euthanasia. Well no logical person think lightly of ending another person's life. A 1yr coma intubated with brain activity person is not like a brain dead patient whom you switch off the intubator and they eventually stop breathing. And die. And besides it is the family decision to have it turned off. 

Now Kdrama logic never makes sense anyway. And I am used to Kdrama so using Kdrama logic CYH cannot just GIVE the injection. Shesh. He will need the drugs. And a person on a ventilator has it breathing for him. The Chairman- is he the Chairman- won't stop breathing. Even with drugs. The drugs patients get on ventilators are to sedate, reduce pain or hold up blood pressure. In an acute situation.

And morphine is never given in a drip well not a free flowing drip. It's called an infusion pump and the syringes only goes up to 50mls. So one can't just speed it up. Yes so I understand it was an experimental drug and therefore given differently. Just that I read that it was ? Morphine.

So that's my thoughts about CYH ending the Chairman- guess I better check the relationship chart- life. It can't be drugs although by right the Pain Unit doctors have access or know how to order doses higher than morphine. He can't just switch off the ventilator since there is absolute no reason for him to do so. 

Suffering from cancer pain is way different from seeing a vegetative person who you are not 100% sure is conscious enough. Or rather he has brain activities but then you don't know which part of his brain is affected. If you're an observer you can feel pain when you watch a cancer patient suffering in uncontrollable pain in spite of painkillers. Vs a person lying passively in a bed with a ventilator on. I am putting it graphically because you're talking about making someone think about killing someone else in euthanasia. However the supporters want to view it.

The other thing. Geez. CIPA. Great. What's the point of making the female lead have such a great family? Then have a male lead with an autosomal recessive gene with such a condition? That's a 100% no happy ending right there.

So after all that spiel... lol. Going back to do 5. Just pointing out practically every department was in the room when the father went into VF. And blinking long VF with just one shown shock, CPR and was there correct drugs? Statistically patients surviving after multiple shocks and I presumed they shocked him more than 5 times is enough to say most don't survive.

Putting all that aside, yeah I am watching it. Just pointing out amidst all my comments I like the whole cast here. And I actually recognize all the supporting cast except for Mi Rae and the aunt. Ji Sung stitching his chest was " wow." Not the chest exposure part but the way JS the actor did it. That was some good technique. 

But yeah the euthanasia thing is troubling. I didn't expect it. I can't work out either why he did it; well I can but why would he care MORE for this patient? Who killed 2 six year olds vs ALL the patients he would have seen in pain. And trust me he would have seen more people in uncontrollable pain to make him decide to throw away his career for this man. What made him so special then?

Just saying.

First thing to get off my chest and I have the flu which means I am more blunt than normal. No person goes in thinking lightly of euthanasia. Well no logical person think lightly of ending another person's life. A 1yr coma intubated with brain activity person is not like a brain dead patient whom you switch off the intubator and they eventually stop breathing. And die. And besides it is the family decision to have it turned off. 

Now Kdrama logic never makes sense anyway. And I am used to Kdrama so using Kdrama logic CYH cannot just GIVE the injection. Shesh. He will need the drugs. And a person on a ventilator has it breathing for him. The Chairman- is he the Chairman- won't stop breathing. Even with drugs. The drugs patients get on ventilators are to sedate, reduce pain or hold up blood pressure. In an acute situation.

CYH would have access to those drugs.  In fact anesthesiologists are the ones with the keys.  They have access to S8 (schedule 8) drugs which are classified as drugs of addiction.  They would be your opioids like morphine, methadone, fentanyl etc.  And yes to the Chairman.  He would have to be taken off the ventilator.  I think Chief Min (? SY’s mother) wanted CYH to be hired not because she wanted him to perform the euthanasia again.  But she wanted him there to swing the general consensus within the hospital about the rules regarding euthanasia.  Had YH NOT been there, there would be NO conversation at all.  Status quo would be adhered to.  The fact that he was hired means he’s raised the question and having everyone rethink their stance.  So people would actually “consider” that taking the Chairman off the ventilator is a valid option in that circumstance.

And morphine is never given in a drip well not a free flowing drup. It's called an infusion pump and the syringes only goes up to 50mls. So one can't just speed it up. Yes so I understand it was an experimental drug and therefore given differently. Just that I read that it was ? Morphine.

It is an infusion during palliative care for patients with intractable pain.  Given the patient has anal cancer, chances are oral meds would be too slow acting and ineffective for pain management so IV is the preferred method of administration for him.  He didn’t get the experimental drug to extend life. Not yet.  The nurse claimed he signed to get on the program but I think YH “killed” him before he started it.  That was her argument (and the Prosecution’s).  That by signing, the patient had “wanted to live” but YH ignored this desire and “killed him” because he thought it was the “right thing to do”.

Suffering from cancer pain is way different from seeing a vegetative person who you are not 100% sure is conscious enough. Or rather he has brain activities but then you don't know which part of his brain is affected. If you're an observer you can feel pain when you watch a cancer patient suffering in uncontrollable pain in spite of painkillers. Vs a person lying passively in a bed with a ventilator on. I am putting it graphically because you're talking about making someone think about killing someone else in euthanasia. However the supporters want to view it.

Yes.  I think they are exploring what it means to really be “alive”.  Lying in bed in a coma hooked up to machines - is that living?  Or are they merely existing?  It’s a very hard call.  To unhook someone from a ventilator and watch them pass on.  

The other thing. Geez. CIPA. Great. What's the point of making the female lead have such a great family? Then have a male lead with an autosomal recessive gene with such a condition? That's a 100% no happy ending right there.

I think in addition to exploring the whole subject of euthanasia, they are also exploring the subject of pain. Hence CIPA.  Pain is a part of life.  But how much pain is too much?  Is mental pain sufficient to justify taking one’s own life?  Just because you don’t feel pain (like YH and the student), does that make life no longer worth living?  The student said, “I am a ticking time bomb”.  Which is true.  He doesn’t possess the protective pain element to allow him to fully experience life.  Does that make his life any less worth living?  He will live a very limited life because of this condition - no sports, no alcohol, he has to watch what he eats, limit his social activities.  He (and YH) have to take extreme measures in order to live a “normal” life. It takes effort, it takes time and it’s horribly inconvenient.  Is it worth their while?  I think YH would say yes.  He fights every day to savor life, keeping his hands clean, making sure he doesn’t eat or drink overly hot things, keeping his body cool, taking his temperature multiple times daily to check if he has an infection anywhere.  YH values the life and every day that he is given because he knows it may well be his last.  

But yeah the euthanasia thing is troubling. I didn't expect it. I can't work out either why he did it; well I can but why would he care MORE for this patient? Who killed 2 six year olds vs ALL the patients he would have seen in pain. And trust me he would have seen more people in uncontrollable pain to make him decide to throw away his career for this man. What made him so special then?

It’s the Hippocratic oath.  He doesn’t care MORE or LESS for this patient.  As a doctor, you have to treat the patient to the best of your ability regardless.  Doesn’t matter if he’s scum and a serial rapist who deserves to die.  You leave your emotions at the door and treat the patient.  Each case is separate.  He made a judgement call.  In a box.  Maybe he did make those calls as well for other patients, but this is the case that he’s been called up for.  The others may have not resulted in litigation.  

Archived