[Drama 2019] Secret Boutique, 시크릿 부티크

larus

On 10/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, elan1 said:

the island scene was like a breath of fresh air after all the plotting and drama in the show. That quote carved on the tree was so poignant, “to know a person completely is to love them without any hope.” Wow that’s sun-woo there.

Thanks. When I watched it with subtitle, this part was not translated so I am happy that I found out what was written on that tree. Beautiful and true words.

I agree that it is Sun Woo in those words. Sun Woo loves Jenny the way she is. My heart broke for him when I saw him worried, at the Wi family gate, trying to make his way among journalists but Jung-Hyeok entering instead. 

I also wished Jenny would have had a night off in that Island, without thinking at her revenge, Deo family and other problems. And I want them to have more conversations about their feelings. To clear the air.  It is hard to watch both of them love without hope. There is a little Jenny in those words too. She knows very well Jung-Hyeok, and maybe loves him without hope as well.

When Jenny asked Sun woo why he did not tell her that Hyun Ji saved his life, he said that he wants to protect her heart. He said that he will do it again and asked her why she doesn`t tell him what`s happening in her life, what`s happening with Jung Hyeok. 

The boat scene was cute.The island scene was so nice. I also like the scene where Jenny asked what what ordinary people will do.

Jenny: What is it like to live like ordinary people?

Sun Woo: They think about what to have for dinner after work every day. And they drink beers watching TV. Every morning they get up and have breakfast. Then they go to work, come home at night and talk about their day and laugh with their family. Thats how they live.

Jenny stops walking and look at him like saying how do you know?

Sun Woo: I also heard about it. :P

Definetly, it was a wish thinking from Sun woo. If his romantic love for Jenny will remain on sided, I want him to move on eventually. Hyun Ji is a good option. He is observing her and I think she likes her. Maybe she will give him the ordinary love he is looking for.

Jenny need love in her life too. After the revenge will be over, I hope she will accept love too.

I don`t know what will happen in the end but I really wish both Jenny and Sun Woo to have a happy ending.

BTW, I find out that the quote carved on the tree is from Walter Benjamin, a German Jewish philosopher. 

Walter Benjamin (1892-1940), philosopher and critic, author of One Way Street, from which this quote is taken, page 77.

screen-shot-2019-08-23-at-8.06.08-pm.png

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@larus 

your observations are so on point and makes me feel so sad inside. I didn’t think about Jenny also loving without hope, you’re so right! 

I too hope they will one day get to live as ordinary people, not having to worry and calculate every action they take on a daily basis.
If they didn’t have each other when they needed protection, I wonder if they would have have grown up less human and less compassionate? Did the show ever explain how Jenny and Sun-woo reunited after being separated when they were younger? 

me too I wish them a happy ending even if they aren’t together. If this show goes all Daebak and kills off either Jenny or Sun-woo, I’m going to signed up for season 2 of secret boutique and take down the writer hahaha 

On a side note, I really like how the show changed Hyun-ji although maybe a little bit too fast. She was a selfish character in contrast with her mom who wanted to help the community and opened her home for everyone. But once her mom “disappeared,” instead of receiving financial inheritance, she received an inheritance of morals hahaha She showed love to the prostitute and her son, and deep understanding and compassion to the conflicted doctor. 

oooh nice find, it’s an actual quote :open_mouth:

1 hour ago, elan1 said:

Did the show ever explain how Jenny and Sun-woo reunited after being separated when they were younger? 

No, it was not shown so far. I wonder when Sun woo went to law school. Before or after meeting Jenny again. It is not important but I am just wondering. I wish to know more about them.

1 hour ago, elan1 said:

me too I wish them a happy ending even if they aren’t together. If this show goes all Daebak and kills off either Jenny or Sun-woo, I’m going to signed up for season 2 of secret boutique and take down the writer hahaha 

They will be together even without forming a couple. That`s the beauty of their relationship. They saved each other`s life, they know each other very well,  they are a family already. I worry a little for Sun woo because he always fights bad people physically but I don`t think the writer will be so cruel to kill one of them in the end. We`ll see.

1 hour ago, elan1 said:

On a side note, I really like how the show changed Hyun-ji although maybe a little bit too fast. She was a selfish character in contrast with her mom who wanted to help the community and opened her home for everyone. But once her mom “disappeared,” instead of receiving financial inheritance, she received an inheritance of morals hahaha She showed love to the prostitute and her son, and deep understanding and compassion to the conflicted doctor. 

He was raised well. I think she was a little selfish in the beginning of the show because she wanted her mom more for herself. Hyun Ji had a good relationship with her mother. I like how they interact before her mother went to check the boats that day.

Why Ye Nam wants Hyu Ji despite the fact that she wants people who are close to Jenny. Because she knows that she is looking for her mother?

Jung-Hyeok came back and he will be at his wife`s side.  He took a tough decision. He came back just because Jenny was in danger and needed help or he really chose her deal? I hope to see more of Jung Hyeok, how he thinks, what makes him tick.

I am intrigued by another character. Joo Ho, the one close to Mayor Do. He witnessed the moment when Oh Tae Suk threw the body in the ocean. He might know about the drugs. Why he did not say anything and continue to support the mayor? What`s his interest? I suspect that he is working for someone. Maybe Jogwang group is behind him?

About Jogwang group. The are so strong now that they dare to attack Deo group? First, they make Ye Nam`s factory to crumble and then put Jenny is very hot position. Who are they? Lots of questions. :lol:

I am looking forward to watch the next episodes.

@larus

Im excited to know more of their rich back story as well. The show is good at weaving in the flashbacks without making it jarring.

”Why Ye Nam wants Hyu Ji despite the fact that she wants people who are close to Jenny. Because she knows that she is looking for her mother?”

It is possible that Ye Nam wants to try luring HJ with the mom card since that would be HJ biggest weakness. I have a hunch that HJ will pretend to team up with Ye Nam and be Jenny’s double agent lol 

14 hours ago, larus said:

Jung-Hyeok came back and he will be at his wife`s side.  He took a tough decision. He came back just because Jenny was in danger and needed help or he really chose her deal? I hope to see more of Jung Hyeok, how he thinks, what makes him tick.

It’s a tough call. I think JH is going to lie and say that he will choose to love her but he’s actually there to help her. I think he values his friendship with her over his romantic relationship. He probably feels like he owes her. I think Jenny is going to see through his facade and secretly notice him moping over his lover and she’ll release him in time, maybe half way in the show or near the end. You can’t change your orientation just because you want to. 

am intrigued by another character. Joo Ho, the one close to Mayor Do. He witnessed the moment when Oh Tae Suk threw the body in the ocean. He might know about the drugs. Why he did not say anything and continue to support the mayor? What`s his interest? I suspect that he is working for someone. Maybe Jogwang group is behind him?

He is definitely a wild card. I have no idea. 

Jogwang group. The are so strong now that they dare to attack Deo group? First, they make Ye Nam`s factory to crumble and then put Jenny is very hot position. Who are they? Lots of questions.

What if the person in charge of Jogwang group is in reality the butler.... or even Yenam husband?  lol 

@larus @elan1 @imgreatgal

Hi peeps, saw your exchange on Ms Wang and thought I’d share my understanding of what is going on.

Ms Wang told Jenny (during the two times they spoke out of the car, once before the reveal and once after) that she started working in the Wi family all thanks to Wi Jang Soo (Jenny’s father I believe) and that he was unlike the usual rich kids, so I think she feels gratitude towards him, and thus tried to save Jenny (whom she believes to be his illegitimate daughter). I believe she does not know KYO is an imposter and thought that she was the wife he eloped with and that WYN is the legitimate daughter. She also somehow knows WJH is not his son and thus she will be on KYO and WYN’s side (since she believes them to be WJS’s legitimate wife and child) whereas WJH is not even his son and Jenny isn’t legitimate.

As to why she knows WJH isn’t his son, it could either be that she saw the scene where KYO brought him to see the father (like what WYN witnessed) or that WYN told her about what she saw, or that the age of WJH doesn’t add up (coz if WYN is Jenny’s age, he might be older than it was logically possible for him to be conceived after the elopement).

And for the “adoption” by butler and Ms Wang, that incident took place 30 years ago and back then, I would not be surprised if checks weren’t as stringent as today.

As for Jogwang Group, from what I recall from Jenny’s conversation with KYO, JG seemed to be either a previous partner of DEO or a previous partner split from DEO and formed JG. Jenny mentioned she wanted to claim it back for DEO. KYO also commented that JG appeared subservient on the surface but was backstabbing DEO, so JG might have been influential on their own, but possibly not at the same level as DEO, and they wanna rise up and take over, but in stealth, since they may not have the capacity to hit DEO head on for now.

The butler and the lawyer son in law may not be the most loyal people around but they aren’t likely to be so powerful that they can be the mastermind.

Hello everyone! 

First time posting on this tread. I recently started watching this show after taking a break from K-dramas. I've got to say that it was a bad mistake.... not because the drama is bad, on the contrary, it's so good that the wait it unbearable :weary:

Now, it is awesome that I found this tread because I can read everyone's posts while I wait for the episodes to air on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I have read yours posts and I'm loving the comments and speculations that you're bringing into the table. The discussions about JJ-SW or SW-HJ pairings are the most entertaining to me because I'm into romantic pairings :lol:. I personally ship SW with HJ. As some of you have mentioned, SW and HJ relationship is healthier compared to that of SW and JJ.

Spoiler

I recently watched 2 intro videos of the drama that were posted in this tread and both showed a few scenes of them together. One scene will probably air on episode 7 or 8 after Hyun Jin gets kidnapped. Couldn't figure out if Hyun Jin will get thrown into the water or not. But, for sure, Sun Woo will rescue her and will be holding her arm to help her walk to the car. As for the other scene, I don't know when it will air, but Sun Woo will be waiting outside of an apartment or work building gate for Hyun Jin and will ask her if she wants to eat dinner together :wub:

I look forward to see their relationship to deepen. 

Anyway, nice meeting you all and I look forward to continue reading your comments. :blush:

On 9/27/2019 at 6:11 AM, triplem said:

From eps 3 - the uncle left the family a long time ago to become a monk  ...but he is the only surviving Wi . Ye Nam wanted to prove that her brother is not a real Wi heir ( she suspects his dad was someone else based on what she saw as a child ) tsk tsk well neither is she but she doesn’t know that of course  . So she wanted to test the her brother’s DNA against the Uncle . Mum knew about this because Ye Nam’s right hand man  ( who just so happens to be mum’s “lover” ;)) informed mum about it . So mum with Jenny’s help hid the old man & confronted Ye Nam. So pretty much foiled Ye Nam’s plans. 

But they do hv the old man’s toothbrush, so I’m sure something can still be done . But because mum found out about Ye Nam’s plans , she’ll make Ye Nam powerless . 

I re-watched ep3 and just like to make a few corrections if i may.

About the toothbrush, actually our JJ was ahead of OTS and YN.   JJ fielded another monk to pose as Monk Un San. If you remember a driver took the fake monk away and gave him a white envelope, as anyone who's familiar with Kdramas will know what that white envelope means. We saw later in the episode that JJ met with the real monk UnSan they spoke for a while and she gave him some candies. It looks to me that he has been living there in seclusion for sometime. In a scene before that,  KYO was giving her orders to JJ to find the monk UnSan. From what i gather from the dialogue it seems KYO wanted to rid of the old man. She said something like 'he has live long enough and won't be too sad about crossing the bar' smh I assume its JJ who has been keeping Monk Unsan in hiding.

Watch: Kim Jae Young Takes His Loving Gaze Too Far While Filming With Kim Sun Ah For “Secret Boutique”

Oct 7, 2019
by L. Kim

71a591669b814385acb9b4af6c8a94c1.jpeg?s=

Secret Boutique” has released a behind-the-scenes clip of its leads Kim Jae Young and Kim Sun Ah!

“Secret Boutique” is a thriller about the struggles of strong women as they battle for power, revenge, and survival. Kim Sun Ah plays Jenny Jang, a poor woman who goes from working at a bathhouse to being a powerful lobbyist. Kim Jae Young plays the role of Yoon Sun Woo. He is the lawyer of J Boutique who is willing to do anything for Jenny Jang, his “older sister” from the orphanage. Despite his cool-headedness and cold demeanor, he becomes weakhearted in front of Jenny Jang.

Kim Jae Young and Kim Sun Ah may portray a complicated relationship in the drama, but they’re all smiles and jokes on set! In the newly-released clip, the two head to an island to film together. First off, Kim Jae Young gazes tenderly at Kim Sun Ah, showing how much Yoon Sun Woo is in love with Jenny Jang. When Kim Sun Ah glances back at him, Kim Jae Young looks away and feigns innocence, causing her lips to quirk upwards in amusement.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357407wpp/watch-kim-jae-young-takes-his-loving-gaze-too-far-while-filming-with-kim-sun-ah-for-secret-boutique

Hmmm...I am on team SW-HJ...

There is no denying how fiercely loyal SW is, towards Jenny, and he definitely loves her, but not romantically? It really feels to me like a brother towards an older sister (though he is a lot more intense), not the kind between a man and a woman.

What he feels towards KJH (whom he still doesn’t know isn’t straight) also does not feel like the kind of jealousy a man has, for another who is with the woman he loves. He is definitely upset with him, but it feels more of “why do you not take care of my noona and let her get hurt, but my noona still loves you despite that. And I can’t do a thing to you lest noona is upset”. That was what I felt during the exchange between the two men when KJH went to SW’s office. And I cannot help but keep thinking of the bath scene in the early part of Ep 1. The way SW could update Jenny of the latest happenings while she was in the tub just behind him...it just doesn’t feel like there’s anything romantic between the two of them. At least, I can’t feel it.

On the other hand, he is definitely experiencing growing fascination towards HJ and is subconsciously protective, without realizing it. He is unfamiliar with what he is feels towards HJ, because he hasn’t quite experienced romantic feelings thus far, and that’s also why I think he doesn’t feel that way towards Jenny. Such feelings are foreign to him.

my 2 cents :)

3 hours ago, chubbz said:

On the other hand, he is definitely experiencing growing fascination towards HJ and is subconsciously protective, without realizing it. He is unfamiliar with what he is feels towards HJ, because he hasn’t quite experienced romantic feelings thus far, and that’s also why I think he doesn’t feel that way towards Jenny. Such feelings are foreign to him.

I agree he is fascinated by HJ because her actions are different than what he thought she would had done. He gave her ample opportunities to run away. But being fascinated to the point of having romantic feelings? Im not sure hahaha but definitely HJ is slowly developing feelings for Sunwoo. It’s subtle but I see it. 

I wouldn’t say romantic feelings are foreign to him, can any human learn to develop romantic feelings? It just happens haha 

i know the majority of the people support HJ with Sunwoo but I just can’t help but join the Jenny & Sunwoo ship... aesthetic-wise HJ look better with Sunwoo because they are closer in age and because she acts vulnerable around him. Jenny gives this cold feeling but for me I can see small glimpses of her onion shell unraveling. I think the game changer for me why I chose Sunwoo & Jenny is that they both know each other but at the same time they don’t. They hide certain aspects as expressed on the last episode because they believe they can protect the other party. And that they are both willing to sacrifice themselves for each other at moments of their life speak volumes to me. 

3 hours ago, chubbz said:

here is no denying how fiercely loyal SW is, towards Jenny, and he definitely loves her, but not romantically? It really feels to me like a brother towards an older sister (though he is a lot more intense), not the kind between a man and a woman.

What he feels towards KJH (whom he still doesn’t know isn’t straight) also does not feel like the kind of jealousy a man has, for another who is with the woman he loves. He is definitely upset with him, but it feels more of “why do you not take care of my noona and let her get hurt, but my noona still loves you despite that. And I can’t do a thing to you lest noona is upset”. That was what I felt during the exchange between the two men when KJH went to SW’s office. And I cannot help but keep thinking of the bath scene in the early part of Ep 1. The way SW could update Jenny of the latest happenings while she was in the tub just behind him...it just doesn’t feel like there’s anything romantic between the two of them. At least, I can’t feel it.

I don’t know any brother who would fiercely say to their sister, I want to protect your heart. That sounds something like a lover would say :joy:

There was no incident in the show that should had given Sunwoo a reason to be wary of HJ. He was kind to Jenny since Jenny first moved in. To me his reaction is more of a frustrated, jealous lover lashing out thinking that he lost his beloved woman. He was against Jenny marrying Hj from the very beginning. 

ep 6 would be the biggest showcase of Sunwoo liking Jenny, those fierce loving gazes at her on the ship... if my brother gave me those looks, I would freak out haha What kind of brother would look at his sister like that? Haha 

Yes, it seems that the writers officially follow the path of a romance between HJ and SW:bawling:,  it's a shame,  I was for SW and Jenny:cold_sweat:. The previews before the drama began had talked about a love triangle,  and love between SW and Jennty, but let's : see jenny's husband is apparently gay:joy:, Jenny had the crush for him and also married him for her revenge  :joy: and SW starts to pull away from Jenny:grimace:.

Good to follow, jenny's evolution and her vengeance

4 hours ago, triplem said:

I was half an hour late watching the live and it was a very interrupted watch . . But from what I gather sans the subs was that HJ walked into some trap that was set up by the gangster & she pretty much went against what Jenny had told her not to do . I think it was related to her mum. Long story short , SW went to save her but was cornered , so Jenny went instead to negotiate for her release before SW joined them . They managed to free her . But later on Jenny was really mad at Hj for making this mess and slapped her . SW was clearly uncomfortable but he’s too loyal to Jenny to speak up ..later there were flashbacks to why he’s so loyal to her . She really protected him a lot when he was young . So he’s deeply indebted. 

Thanks for your live recap. It kinda of made me upset that they made HJ character kinda stupid in this episode. What happened to the girl who proclaimed that she never lost? 

HAHAHA so Jenny was HJ silver knight and rescue her in this episode. Let's form a new ship Jenny X HJ LOL

Now thinking about it...what's the point of the character HJ, her mom, and the prostitute and her son? How does it really relate to Jenny's revenge? Was the character HJ created just so that Sun Woo can have a love interest or made just to have the typical korean love triangle? If HJ arc in the this show wasn't created, it really wouldn't have made much of a difference to the drama lol 

2 hours ago, tulip06 said:

I'm a little confused: do we get episodes 6-8 or 6-7 this week? 

isn't it episode 7 & 8? 

wah... from the preview of the next episode it look like there are moments for SW&HJ shipper....

Havent had time to watch the sub ep but when JJ slap HJ n SW was watching it. It was intense. Wish I can understand what HJ said after the slap to make J so shaken

It was revealed that OTS is SuBin's bio dad. I'm sure Prosecutor Cha knows this too. I was confident even before the revealed that JJ went to the TV show well prepared lol. 

@elan1 HJ is naive she has a lot to learn and the slap was part of her learning process. I can't say that she didn't deserve it. I agree with JJ when she said 'when you lose a game of go you can always play another game but in real life there will be no second chances'. @fieza1871 HJ just said thank you to JJ for saving her. I think it hurt JJ more for slapping HJ. We can understand this by that flashback when JJ was beaten by the bathhouse owner.

It kinda of pissed me off when HJ went to the rescue the housekeeper. It was just like how she acted with the doctor in earlier episode. The JogWang VP would not be able to hurt the housekeeper since JJ has already revealed it to the public. He and mayor Do are only using the thug to get rid of HJ.

Kim Jae Young... he was just one those cops in one of my favorite drama called "I Remember You". I also watch him in "Master of God.. noodles" something like tha.. aka  "Master of Revenge". Dind't think much of him. He was just one the cast/orpha character. But Perseverance and hard work and love for craft pays off. It's good to see him getting reconize and getting lead roles.

Didn't think much of her when I saw in another tvN drama called "Live" then saw her  "Hundred Million Stars From The Sky" good acting. Great to see actors given a chane to shine  and show their skills. Hope she can part of the new drama "Live" writer is doing.

Archived