[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is romance on the cards? (Surprised by reactions to the hug when I started back reading) It never occurred to me that the hug was anything more than an act of human kindness or empathy. Maybe I need to watch the sequence again to be absolutely certain I haven't missed anything

No, you did not miss anything. It was not a romantic hug. IMO Young Goon just heard that she will leave the team. Everyone in the team get closer with time.

People have a soft spot for romance or anything about feelings. I read everytime that people don`t want to see romance in the thriller dramas but they are so excited when two characters came closer. :D

I personally like when thriller genre dramas have moments of human kindness, friendship, closeness.  

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pyeongsaeng said:

'flirty' seems quite extreme here. it seems to suggest they've been behaving to each other in a playful/sexually attracted way.

Apparently you did not read what I wrote:  I said that in the first couple of episodes, they seemed attracted but that after that they did not.  I thought that the hug was a little off kilter because it seemed that they were being untruthful with one another yet again.

I did not see the hug as comforting at all.  It was quite uncomfortable and out of character, the situation notwithstanding.  As with so many other situations in this drama, what appears on the surface to be one thing is actually another.  The hug was a lie from both sides.

3 hours ago, larus said:

So I was wrong after all! Turtle was not a woman.

In spite of the fact that the Turtle that got caught repeated things that were said to YG by Turtle, I still think that the Turtle we saw trying to kill YG was a woman.  The "caught Turtle" was high on drugs and was undoubtedly working under orders for someone.  He could have been coached.

.............editing because:  I wrote a whole lot more for this post and it all inexplicably disappeared.  oh rats!  maybe I'll find the patience to re-write later, now I'm just going to go pout and drink a cup of tea.  ^_^

Oooo! So much to digest.

Yeom is definitely part of  Giant's Club... her tit-for-tat chat with DCK pretty much confirmed that imo. Also, fairly cryptic when she said that DC Park doesn't realise that he is dispensable to the GC. Also the way she implied that DCK could take the job of DC at the end... 

I think it is fascinating that DC Park(and before Chief Kim) keeps suspecting that DCK is part of Giant's Club. He certainly has all the markers of someone capable of coordinating a network... and the morals as well... I was pretty shocked that DCK was willing to fabricate evidence again! (still think it means we might see him behind bars at the end of the show).

Not surprised that 1-hubby is alive and 2- that they are divorced(after severe trauma a lot of marriages break down). Since they never mentioned he was dead I always assumed he was alive. I wonder if he was a cop... or prosecution...  Seems like both of his thumbs were cut off (I think the only other people were the two bodies in the massage parlour). Interestingly, the fact he had both thumbs removed completely removes his human-ness... 

Spoiler

Wild theory!!!

We keep talking about manipulation of memory. What if ex-hubby had his thumbs removed before HTJ? Say by a criminal and so he is obsessed with the idea of thumbs because of it? ... especially the left thumb, the first we see, looks like a much older and messier scar than the one on his right hand which is very clean and surgical, like HTJ.

What if he is actually part of this? That he ordered for her thumb to be cut off... I don't think he did it btw but that he could be one of the people controlling behind the scenes. She just remembers him as being one of the hostages because she can't process the idea that he was the one to remove her thumb. If he is crazy (and the way he appeared/greeted her gives me that feeling) then I could imagine him removing his own thumb as a way to cover-up what happened.

Like I said super crazy theory so... feel free to ignore!

The hug... I think we are forgetting aspects of cultural norms in Korea as well. The hug was awkward but then it *would* be awkward in K society for a younger man to hug an older woman with whom he only has a work relationship. None of our leads are very affectionate and I think we need to chalk it up to two people who are not used to giving or receiving physical affection or support.

LO will watch tonight and if he has insights will let y'all know!

“Hotel Del Luna” Surpasses 10 Percent Ratings For 1st Time + “Watcher” Also Hits New Personal Best

faf6a9feb8354c4aa55081bfa1e4edbb.jpeg?s=

OCN’s “Watcher” also set a new personal best for itself, with episode 12 scoring average ratings of 6.1 percent and peaking at 6.7 percent across cable, IPTV, and satellite platforms. The channel sets their target audience on the 2549 age bracket, and they scored an average of 4 percent and peaked at 4.4 percent with them.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1344885wpp/hotel-del-luna-surpasses-10-percent-ratings-for-1st-time-watcher-also-hits-new-personal-best

3 hours ago, thistle said:

Apparently you did not read what I wrote:  I said that in the first couple of episodes, they seemed attracted but that after that they did not.  I thought that the hug was a little off kilter because it seemed that they were being untruthful with one another yet again.

i read what you wrote, just felt that flirty was too extreme to describe them, even in the first couple of episodes. being attracted to each other and being flirty with each other are on two different levels...i agree with you that they may have seemed attracted to each other because of their common trauma, but they definitely did not display flirty behaviour. it was nowhere near 'flirty'. anyhow...i do like that there's no romance here so far because the suspicions, the mystery and the dynamics between the characters have been more than engaging and intriguing enough. i hope they keep to it till the end (4 episodes to go!)

also, grats to the whole production team as ep12 reached 6.1%! saw that it's currently ranked 3rd among ocn's all-time highest episode ratings, that's no mean feat :)i particularly like the directing and camerawork in this too, the angles at which some scenes are shot are very nice.

3 hours ago, thistle said:

In spite of the fact that the Turtle that got caught repeated things that were said to YG by Turtle, I still think that the Turtle we saw trying to kill YG was a woman.  The "caught Turtle" was high on drugs and was undoubtedly working under orders for someone.  He could have been coached. 

We`ll see. But I really thought the one who attacked Young Goon was a woman as well. I paid close attention when Thumb Killer was fighting with Tae Joo. Sometimes I saw some similarity but not compleatly. 

About the pincers... It is interesting that the only blood that was not found on it was Tae Joo and her ex-husband`s. The torture instrument was used by all the killers on every victims but not for Tae Joo and her husband. It`s curious.

6 hours ago, larus said:

About the pincers... It is interesting that the only blood that was not found on it was Tae Joo and her ex-husband`s. The torture instrument was used by all the killers on every victims but not for Tae Joo and her husband. It`s curious.

You pointed out a very interesting fact.  How many blood samples the coroner get from the torture instrument?  Was it 10?  We had 6 bodies, 5 of which had the thumb cut.  We then have our first victim, the guy who Young Geun thought he kidnapped his own daughter, following the organ trafficker's thumb, Kim Jae Myung's thumbs.  So we have 8 out of 10.  If the other two aren't from Tae Joo and her husband.  Who could they belong to?

The blood samples cannot be of the two most recent victims.  It doesn't seem to fit the timeline.  Since the torture instrument was left at Young Geun's apartment by "Turtle".  If "turtle" killed and/or tortured the latest two victims, shouldn't they both be dead by now?  :confused:

If these blood samples do in fact belong to the latest victims, Tae Joo's husband is even more suspicious.  He would become my number one suspect! 

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

Latest member to the club :sweat_smile:

Love this scene, cracks me up!  Young Geun still has a lot to learn. 

9 hours ago, my0t1 said:

If these blood samples do in fact belong to the latest victims, Tae Joo's husband is even more suspicious.  He would become my number one suspect! 

I don`t know if he is the mastermind or not. I admit that it came through my mind for a second that he could knew the thumb killer, and he accepted to be tortured along Tae Joo to not get the suspisious on him. (It`s crazy, I know) But... why he did not find a better way to obtain the information from his wife?

I think he is sure involved with the corupt people one way or another. I can`t wait to see more about him or about Tae Joo`s past.

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am trying to recall but not successful... it was never mentioned what was the case TK was working on when she got her thumb cut, right? Just that she had suspicions about KJM’s wife’s murder? 

The only thing we know is that she was reinvestigating KJM’s case. So I think it was a warning not to do so . 

12 hours ago, my0t1 said:

You pointed out a very interesting fact.  How many blood samples the coroner get from the torture instrument?  Was it 10?  We had 6 bodies, 5 of which had the thumb cut.  We then have our first victim, the guy who Young Geun thought he kidnapped his own daughter, following the organ trafficker's thumb, Kim Jae Myung's thumbs.  So we have 8 out of 10.  If the other two aren't from Tae Joo and her husband.  Who could they belong to?

Do your 5 bodies include the two guys found in the massage parlour?  What about the ex cop Park who is now in jail ( ex Muil employee) ? 

@larus TJ & her ex husband were most likely tortured by the wayward cop Kim Kang Wook ( who was killed off by Jang in eps 2 or 3) . Perhaps he was  the 1st Turtle. 

I am so sad to just now post something..i have been reading alle the post from the beginning and i wanted to point out that i really feel like it is suspicious that all the turtles worked for jang jae ryeon..

The first one JJR killed in front of YG i forgot the name of that guy and the second one that they just caught also works under JJR..

So what is the connection.. I dont trust this guy he seems suspicious

edit: And if i recall correctly 9 different blood stains were found on the thumb cutting tool ..

Recent episodes be like:

DCG is suspicious. *Helps the team.* Suspicions cancelled. 

DCG fabricated evidence. DCG is suspicious. *Helps the team.* Suspicions cancelled. 

57 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

All this talk about bread and no pics! :tears:

One day before the end, you must give us a glimpse of it: i'm losing my mind trying to imagine what your bread looks like, as much as with  the drama.  :pensive:   

Apologies!  Alas, I took no pictures of the most recent bread.  But I have found an old picture of a batch of my bread.....well, actually the recipe is my mother's so it's the bread I have eaten all my life (we never ever bought bread) and no other bread ever tastes quite as good to me, although I do make many kinds of bread.

IMAG0121.JPG

Usually I make six loaves at a time but this weekend I made twelve because the weather is so very hot right now (the Heat Index today is over 110) and I figured that if I had to heat the kitchen up anyway, I might as well make enough bread to last a couple of months.  

And I really did think a lot about Watcher while kneading.  The only real conclusion I came to was the one that I already had:  the only person I can trust is Jae Sik!  :wub:

On 8/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is romance on the cards? (Surprised by reactions to the hug when I started back reading) It never occurred to me that the hug was anything more than an act of human kindness or empathy. Maybe I need to watch the sequence again to be absolutely certain I haven't missed anything ;). It isn't the age gap so much the issue as the sort of dysfunctional familial dynamic that they've been aiming for in the show. If the show is trying to set up both HTJ and YG in some kind of noona romance then they're doing a lousy job of it... it's come out of absolutely nowhere. TJ seems to me more likely to be paired up with DCG. Not that I think there's any kind of romance in the air between those two. In some ways they complement each other and he understands her better than anyone else. But I never once thought that we'd get romance in this drama on any level.

Besides, YG gave her the hug because he thought she was leaving the team. Seems more like a goodbye and thanks for the fish gesture. I think they both need some closure in their lives but darn it... the show just refuses to keep things simple. It's one hurdle after another.

The last two episodes were the best yet IMO.

I agree with you. I'm struggling to feel any romantic vibes or connections between KYG and HTJ, mainly because she's displayed, in my opinion, maternal instincts toward him (she's been protective of him from the beginning). Additionally, I think I might be feeling that way because in the first episodes HTJ's flashbacks were of KYG when he was a kid... Again, I could be wrong. As far as romance goes, I've been keeping an eye on PJH and HTJ's bodyguard. Beside the laughter/stress relief they provide every time they're on screen together, I think it could be a fun and cute pairing... :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

So you never go to bakeries? :o

The Off-Topic-ness is my fault entirely.  :)  I don't live inside a town or anywhere near a city, so there are no bakeries here (although there's a pastry shop in a nearby town).  But I love baking bread, and it's what my mother taught me to do.  It's healthier and cheaper.  

51 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

This scene looks like a painting!:o:w00t:

Every movement and position was so well thought and played! 

It looks like it was really was well-planned and choreographed.  Even the colors that the cast are wearing co-ordinate, and they contribute to the darkness of the scenario.

11 hours ago, soesje said:

And if i recall correctly 9 different blood stains were found on the thumb cutting tool ..

There are 10 blood stains found.  The coroner commented that there are at least 9 victims (probably the 10th blood stain might have been left by the killer).  But this doesn't seem right coz it seems that there are mulitple "turtles". 

12 hours ago, triplem said:

Do your 5 bodies include the two guys found in the massage parlour?  What about the ex cop Park who is now in jail ( ex Muil employee) ? 

@larus TJ & her ex husband were most likely tortured by the wayward cop Kim Kang Wook ( who was killed off by Jang in eps 2 or 3) . Perhaps he was  the 1st Turtle. 

No the 5 bodies are the 5 of 6 bodies found in the deserted park coz only 5 of these bodies had their thumbs cut. 

I totally forgot about ex-cop Park who's now in jail.

Now, things don't add up any more ..... here are the people/bodies who had their thumb(s) cut:

- 5 bodies with their thumb cut found in the deserted park

- Kim Tae Joo

- Kim Tae Joo's husband

- ex-cop Park

- the kidnapper who was killed by Kim Kang Wook

- the organ trafficker

- Kim Jae Myung

- the recent two guys found in the massage parlour

Total of 13 people.

We know for the fact that Kim Tae Joo and her husband's bloodstains weren't found on the weapon.  So we have 11 people with their thumbs cut.  Have I left out anyone?

:confused:

5 hours ago, titania1000 said:

I don't ship GYK and HTJ for various reasons and yet i feel a very different vibe from them: a mix of curiosity, physical attraction, tension, desperate yearning for the same things  and uncertainity of the limits of their bond when they were around each other that  i never felt from JSY and DCK to take a similar and yet completely different relationship. 

To me, HTJ and KYG give off the vibe that they could lose control at anytime and get "there", even if it wasn't something conscious for them.

As i said, i'm not rooting for it to happen because i prefer the mature and deep understanding that HTJ has with DCK.

Mixed with their sizzling chemistry, it's largely more sexy for me that she has with DCK a man who is her equal intellectually, to who she  can confide in a secure way everything that she feels as dark as it can be, and gets approval even in her craziness.

He doesn't try to control her, he's not afraidof  how wild she can be and in the end, he knows how to stay protective and have her back. That's the most that the drama will ever give me and yet for me it's already romance in a certain way and a very compelling one. 

Bonus thought: he totally noticed that she's not wearing her ring anymore and don't tell me that he meant only as the fact that she's not hiding anymore her scar because he didn't mention her scar, only her ring. 

Really enjoyed reading your analysis on their relationship.  HSK, HTJ, and SKJ are doing a fabulous job portraying their characters.

DCK and HTJ are much more compatible couple (not necessarily in a romantic way, can be viewed as a partnership) more so than HTJ and bodyguard.

GYK and JSY definitely should be partnered up (wait ... they are already ... work wise).

Archived