[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Credit: ilchodo 

giphy.gif&key=1049a7db478ef27f44b88cf5a0

OMG:w00t:  THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! Gomawo chingu ah! @titania1000 Isn't she bad@$$ though when she walks LoL!?:P

Eh. Lawyer Han's no stranger to playin' dirty eheheh. She was tryin' to intimidate Song-Yi into spilling more info, which worked. 'Cause I thought the aggressor was sort of...tame HA. Plus Jae-Shik's voice is hard to miss:lol: And he didn't shut her in the booth - how considerate LoL. Poor dude he's traumatized for possibility of doin' jail time awwww~ Jae-Shik's just a Teddy Bear isn't he?:D

Yes @triplem. Ain’t it funny how like DCK is the 1st lead, then YG is the 2nd. Should I take this to consideration?like 1st lead are typically the good ones..so on...

yes, I agree DCK is not the main villain. Why would he help the team to find himself then. At most, I consider DCK to be a minion or wrong place wrong time. It’s just not that simple.

Okay so I watched the beginning raw... Dad went out of the house, avoided surveillance by Jang's men. YG rushed home and realized Dad went out. One of the men saw him and went up, but YG closed the door on him. All these is watched by a man in all black with baseball cap from a lower story, so there is someone else who knows Dad is back in that house.

Dad went into a cab, and DCK was around the area waiting for it. He tailed the cab.

51 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Now I worries our bodyguard would do something stupid

Oh my!  Our strong and silent bodyguard!  I'm concerned, too.

.....thanks, @triplem for the recaps!  I'm gonna enjoy my mini-binge watch this afternoon but I know I'll enjoy it a lot more since I'm spoiled.  Yeah, I know, maybe I'm weird but I can't enjoy a drama if I'm feeling upset and worried about what is gonna happen.  If I already know, I can watch without that horrible feeling of dread.  I am always so grateful for recaps!  :cookie:

Dad went to give flowers to wife. DCK went in and they had a tensed talk. Dad talked to someone on DCK's phone. He left and HTJ picked him up downstairs.

YG noticed the ceiling/manhole of bathroom is slightly ajar. He opened it and saw a box with empty paper bag, then got a call from PSY, who was at the same building but the block across of YG (as seen in preview) so he was the black-capped man? I guess we're back to square one again. The earlier guy could be PSY, or could be the real killer of Dad.

Dad then went to visit DCK boss in his office. They talked. As Dad was about to leave, Yeom came by. She congratulated him but her extended hand was ignored by Dad. She kinda forced him to have a picture taken though, for publicity, with them shaking hands. Dad not smiling while she is all smiling since she entered the room.

When he went out, HTJ still waiting for him. They had a long talk at a park. HTJ talked a lot about YG.

~~

JHR threatening JaeSik with picture of his son... To think that this is a man with a little girl. Is he not afraid for his little girl if his enemies using the same trick? <_<

1 hour ago, sushilicious said:

Feel like whatever is stored in YG’s memories will change according to whoever he thinks it might be. I honestly don’t really trust it as well. I just don’t feel that it’s that simple..like serious. Because if I look at it...it still doesn’t really give me the reason to believe it is DCK. If he is the one, why would he try to find evidence to find the killer? Wouldn’t he be hiding & destroying evidence? I just think that it’s not as simple as it is stated..there must be something more then midst the eye.

Yes, I agree as he was a child when his mom was murdered. What he envision may not be as what he had actually saw. 

Just watched the raw version and I didn't expect YG dad would have gotten murdered as he just came out of prison on parole. 

Definitely they would have wondered what happened as Detective Do was in the same house and got hurt while YG dad got murdered. 

It would definitely have a big impact on YG life as now he has lost both of his parents. 

Would wait to wait to watch the full episode with eng sub tomorrow... 

I was just telling that I don't think Detective Do could be the villain and now they are making us doubt him. 

I haven't watched the episode 7 so far but I am not convinced that DCK is the real murderer. However, I don't think that DCK is innocent either. In my opinion, he might have done something wrong in the past but had a change of heart due to the death of YG's mother. When the prosecutor LYD was about to die, he asked: "who are you?" So he hadn't met the person before... What if the culprit is the missing cop Jang, the former colleague from DCK and HJM? LYD could have never met Jang. Since he disappeared, YG's father got suspected. But maybe he is alive and living in the shadow... 

As for the identity of the "boyfriend", I was wondering if in reality the person behind this name is a woman... Boyfriend makes people think that the person is a man. So this name could have been used in order to mislead the others. So if my theory is correct, then the commissioner YDS could be this "boyfriend". Don't forget that JSY made a mistake before, when she was working for the forensics. So the "boyfriend" could have sent her there as a spy. Maybe she was used as a pawn in order to keep DCK under control. Don't forget that YDS showed a great interest in the ledger. 

With LYD's case, we could see that the highers-up from the prosecution would do anything in order to get what they want: finding the slush fund. In the name of "justice", LYD tried to cover up his own greed... I believe, it was the same for the higher-up who abandoned LYD. In the name of justice, people from the police and prosecution have no remorse to commit crimes in order to achieve their goal. HTJ and DCK are not different either. 

@triplem @thistle @titania1000 Let me know what you think...

LMFAo that lil eye roll Lawyer Han did when Mr. Jang tried to grab the briefcase containing money was awesome:lol:

Poor Young-Goon...:( he's lost both his parents at the same place..:( I do hope that flashback of Team Leader Mr. Do isn't what it seem-_-:P 

On 7/26/2019 at 3:52 PM, titania1000 said:

I'm not sure either she is but there's few worrying clues: she was shown having hallucinations (with blood on her hands) few times at the start of the drama, she was shown taking pills and she was sleeping in her psychiatrist 's office, not really working on her trauma as if she didn't need help. The psychiatrist had to bribe her with infos about the rich guy who was going to have an organ transplant to get a promise from her of a real consultation.

I wonder too if playing all the sides at the same time doesn't mean she's also paranoid.

But it might be smokescreen from the writer and she might ended being the one who is right in the end...

I think it can go both ways at this point. 

I think the psychiatrist is actually Tae Joo's friend.  She simply just crashed into her office to take a nap.  It is a place where she feels safe.  :glasses:

10 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Jae Shik seemed so nervous here! But i fear that too much is still hidden about him so i can't be sure yet that he can be trusted.:(      

I'm still trusting Jae Shik.....

Because

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Jae-Shik's just a Teddy Bear isn't he?:D

Yes, he is.  ^_^  He's our bodyguard.

wow so glad people are watching this show since it's a wild ride!

i'm pretty sure that dck isn't the killer and if he is that would be very confusing and dumb. there has been a drama (that i loved on ocn) where the MC was the culprit but the show was so insane that it made sense. here, i don't think it does. logistically in every step there's major miscommunication. i think the show can go a couple of ways...

if there was dck as culprit and we keep going around in circles until the last minute. this one isn't likely because i can't find a way to execute it well writing-wise. i love the vibe of the show and the tone but i'm already miffed at the doubt of dck (and they did say, "once you doubt, you can't stop" so i guess that's definitely being underlined!)

the whole situation is cloudy but we know as much as all the players know which is apparently nothing. what's frustrating about it as a viewer is that if they could all put their pea-brains together MAYHAPS they could get a solution...

in stranger there's an arc where the MC is doubted because he is very clever and got ahead on leads. the show is very different but the subject matter and leads kinda have similarities. anyway, they nipped that in the bud. i think the doubt storyline is needed but we need clear answers as time passes. it's episode 8 so next week by the end of 10 we should be moving along. 

there's tons of corruption in the police  irl/fiction and i think the show is approaching it as if it is a gang. loyalty is important to cops and dck put kjm in jail and was shunned but no one doubted his hands just what he did. the show also borrows from this american show called 'the shield' in terms of corruption and money (the 2nd episode is similar to the pilot episode of the shield in plot) which focuses on cops as criminals. but we know the cops are criminals it is never contested.

here the MC is fighting against the criminals. it's clear that things were manipulated and memory is shoddy. i believe that the fog is going to have to be removed soon though. i'm assuming that the team of 5 ended up realizing they were henchmen as opposed to cops or there was infighting from the get go. park and the commisioner are so ambitious and they're liars. who does what when and where...

the missed call? what did dck put in the washing machine? also the thumbcutter and "humaneness" questions gives further lend to dck determinably not being the culprit with the death of the police officer jang's underling. we just need some answers right now

and why young goon? why is this happening? what did the force do? what did the prosecutor do? like what are the paramaters of this case. the holes are just as interesting as the plot but not being able to fill in the blanks keeps us from understanding as we go along.

anyways character wise tae joo is crazy. what she does is intentional and selfish, which is fine. it's actually amazing to watch. she's so intelligent but she's so reckless. it's both a gift and a curse. while she thinks things through she also bulldozes ahead and messes up so severely. the doubt that arises in her re: dck is now interesting because i'm like where did that come from? but also i really want them to solve this issue now.

this is why i really like her character and the way kim hyun joo plays her. because she richard simmons me off and frustrates me and makes very very very stupid decisions for someone so smart. she's very flawed and she's going to go crazy with worry because she wants to know who ruined her life. who made her this way. at the same time it's theeee most frustrating thing to watch. this whole show is watching watcher lmao and everyone hitting a wall and not talking to each other

they're all gonna learn how to be more empathetic or whatever but i think there's a clear good side/bad side (corruption team v. the force) that needs to be reiterated. what we know is that someone is laundering money and judging people. perhaps they're mutually exclusive, even, though i doubt it. 

I'm currently watching this week's episodes but I had just had to take a moment to say how amused I am that DCK keeps offering Jang a stick of gum.  It's like he's giving a dog a doggie treat.  And Jang knows it.  :lol:

WOW!!!

Finally watched ep8... Didn't expect YG dad to be killed soo fast. You can see YG had a shock his dad dying in the same house as his mom died 15 years ago. Just only that day his dad cooked breakfast for him. 

Ending of the episode, he visualizing not his dad but Detective Do could be the one killed his mom but I don't think so. One thing could be true, someone did put his dad coat in the washing machine. 

Who is that? We all don't know.

Why the Deputy Commissioner did that? Like he wants YG dad and Detective Do to go against one another.  Detective Do said he called him but YG dad said he never received any call and when he left the house, YG was sleeping and his wife was still alive. 

I think Deputy Commissioner may be involved.

We still have not gone anywhere to who is the killer who is cutting people's thumb.

I can feel the heat as it has come to the half of the episodes of Watcher. OMG! I have to wait for how many days to watch the next episode. I hope I can go through the days waiting... :joy::joy:

Ah! So many thoughts!

LO and I watched 7 last night. (I haven't read anything here because I am trying, for once, to avoid spoilers!).

1- We think that there are 2 thumb cutters--the forensics guy kept emphasising there could only be one which feels like a red herring. (one is the cop who was killed the second was his 'successor'.)

2- DC Park is suspicious (still hahaha) because he wants KYG to forgive his dad after 15 years. Amongst all the other reasons

3- DCK and JHR have a great bromance.

4- The gum thing... significant?

5- DCK hiding something in the washing machine... was it something for Dad? or another cop to find?
6- How did Dad hide stuff (gun, knife) and the investigation not find it?

@triplem @titania1000 @thistle @larus Now, I have another theory about the identity of the real villain. What caught my attention is this: image.png

And let us not forget that this drama is entitled "Watcher". So someone is watching people and they are not aware of it. When we saw this picture, image.png we were all thinking that someone among the team was a bad cop, like JHR or even DCK. However, I realized that we were all overlooking one important clue. Actually, there are 6 persons connected to this picture and not just 5. We all forgot the photographer. We have to ask ourselves about his identity. And that was the moment it came to my mind that the real culprit could be the only person we have never seen before and was present all this time: The "boyfriend" and "Money lover"Watcher episode 3.png. This person could be the same person. Both have something in common, he has no name... just like watcher. It was as if he had no real identity. However, our thumb killer is actually obsessed with money and identity. Remember that he keeps asking where the humanity comes from. And he cuts the thumb... We heard from PSY that he changed after this traumatic incident. It was as if he had lost his identity and humanity. And if you pay attention to these two takings above, you'll notice one common denominator: both are using the thumb. We even heard from deputy commissioner Park that the phone can now recognize prints... the thumb.

Sure, the killer is not working alone. He has accomplices but the thumb killer is not a real serial murderer. If he was, he would kill more often. We heard that he killed important people who were replaced by relatives and the latter had to follow his orders. Actually, in the second case, we had a similar situation. Through the planned death of the CEO Shin, the highers-up wanted to have access to Shin's fortune. So in reality, the killer is more interested in gaining power and money than anything else. I have the impression that his "delusion" comes from the fact that he was never acknowledged by his colleagues, hence he decided to compensate this, he thought that having power and money would help him to get recognized. He started using people as pawns so that he could destroy the team he felt excluded. He could be the one who always had to help in the background, sitting behind a desk for example. Remember that PSY claims that the moment the suspicion starts, there is no end and it will get bigger and bigger. We saw in the last episode how HJM and DCK were convinced that each other was the traitor. I have the impression that the thumb killer resented the team and made sure to turn the detectives against each other. JHR might think that he won't be touched as long as he helps the thumb killer, however I am quite sure that he will become a target at some point as Jang, PSY and HJM became his victims and right now, DCK is in a terrible situation where all his colleagues will suspect him.

Money Lover has access to info and CCTV very quickly and he could be the one who can delete and even change the recorded videos. 

Let me know what you think...

4 hours ago, sheelatpsfm said:

One thing could be true, someone did put his dad coat in the washing machine. 

Who is that? We all don't know.

We saw DCK put something in the washing machine (I think that it was in the first episode) before he discovered little boy YG hiding behind the shower curtain.

3 hours ago, titania1000 said:

So i'll be staying in an alternative universe where everything is ok for our heroes until i recover

I still haven't seen episode 8 because I was busy with real life.  Now I'm feeling worried.  This episode sounds like a wrecker.  How will YG be able to cope now?  :tears:  

26 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

And let us not forget that this drama is entitled "Watcher". So someone is watching people and they are not aware of it.

Somehow I ignored this Major Clue that was staring us all in the face!  Good question!  Who is watching and why?

27 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, there are 6 persons connected to this picture and not just 5. We all forgot the photographer.

The drama Healer taught us to remember that it is not only the people in the picture but also that there is someone behind the camera!  

29 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

the real culprit could be the only person we have never seen before and was present all this time: The "boyfriend" and "Money lover"

I still think that SY is probably a plant, and that the person who planted her is Yeom (I think that's her name--powerful lady cop) so Yeom would be the "boyfriend" on SY's phone.  It's obvious that she is neither a boy nor a friend but sometimes the biggest clues are the ones we don't even notice (like the title of this show, as you pointed out) so hiding Yeom's identity in a way that no one would question makes sense (no one but Jae Sik, of course--he always knows more than he lets on).

It has always been very suspicious how easily SY gets information that she should not have access to (like those identity files from forensics) and how much she knows but while no one knows much about her.  The team all accepts her presence too easily and they are too comfortable with her because she seems no threat.  

Although I have come to think that possibly Yeom and SY are not bad guys, it seems fair to guess that they are running things in the background to make Investigations do what they want them to do.  It's like Yeom is a puppetmaster and the only way she can keep power is to retain her invisibility while she pulls strings in the background and maybe stands behind a camera.

But I'm not sure that boyfriend and Money Lover are one and the same.  Money Lover is likely someone else, and maybe he/she is the Big Bad.

I've just had the most horrid thought:  what if Jae Sik is also a plant?  Not from the good guys but from the bad guys.  I really don't want this to be true because he's my favorite character because he is amusing.  But nothing is completely clear on this drama and anyone could be bad.

42 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression that his "delusion" comes from the fact that he was never acknowledged by his colleagues, hence he decided to compensate this, he thought that having power and money would help him to get recognized.

This is a really good theory.  And it makes me wonder once again about people who might be hiding in plain sight.  I wish I was better at remembering Korean names but they confuse me every time (I just do Not have an "ear" for Korean--so frustrating) but anyway--the cop whose thumb was cut off and re-attached (like Lawyer Han).  What if he could be the Unacknowledged One who is after money and power?  Could he have cut off his own thumb to divert suspicion from himself?  Creepy!

The one thing that we know is true:  Everyone has to be a suspect until someone is proven guilty.

@thistle Yeom and DC Park want both the ledger as they are both about to retire... so in my opinion, both want to get their hands on it in order to get rich and powerful, the moment they retire. However, HJM didn't give the ledger to Park and to Yeom. Furthermore, he was killed before hence I am wondering if the thumb killer wants the ledger to remain hidden as it could represent a thread to him and his power. For me, PSY can not be the thumb killer as he was used many times by the killer. He tricked him to believe that DCK would be blamed for all the murders. The killer knew that HTJ would play a trick on him. In my opinion, the killer can track the cellphones and even listen to their conversations. That's why he is a watcher. Notice that the criminal Kim (organ trafficking) was killed just after GY had told DCK about their plan: let Kim free so that the latter would trust them after realising that he had been backstabbed. 

So I was really, really bad and watched 8 without LO...

@bebebisous33--I don't think the killer is Money Lover(who I think we learnt early on is a woman? I might be crazy but I've always thought that ML is a woman)... I think ML is the Commissioner who is HTJ's friend from the academy (they seem to be about the same age and I expect that two women would bond in a predominantly male environment). Still power hungry and money mad but not the killer... she also has a huge network to find all the info that HTJ needs. (I do think that the Commissioner with throw everyone, their mother, and the the neighbourhood halmoni under the bus if it suits her.)

HTJ... what a babe. She would have made a formidable police woman... but I'm glad she is our lawyer. That bit of her back story explains a lot... especially the idea that thumb-killer doesn't kill cops, just cuts off their thumbs. So if he knew her when she was at the academy it would explain a lot. 

I 100% agree/believe that the person who took the photograph is the killer. ... More evidence that DC Park is the bad guy (imo) is that when he was talking to Dad about how he took his coffee he said that Dad was always the hotshot and now look how their roles are reversed. ... If he was the least successful/least amount of star power in the team he would be the one taking the photograph of the 'dream team'... he also talked about how much the phone he bought was expensive when he got it... a weird thing to say I thought.

I am also starting to think that 'Boyfriend' is actually just a male friend of JSY... also, am I going crazy but KYG's mom's family name is also Jo... is that too much of a coincidence? Or are they somehow related? Because otherwise she is just an incredibly loose thread. I wonder if we will find out more of her back story going forward... everyone else is tied in so why not her?

DAD!!! :tears: Urgh. Wow. Also by far the most brutal of all the murders. So far thumb-killer has either garrotted or smothered the people he killed so Dad's death was... unexpected which makes me think that Dad put up a fight and that the thumb was cut off while it was dying in the bath (but not post mortem). 

Fairly certain that DCK saw something when he was knocked out but won't tell us (yet) because he knows how suspicious it will look... I fear that he planted evidence that Dad was the killer of Mom because DC Park told him to... or because he thought it could be washed and therefore absolve dad? ... I don't know!!! :tears:

(If you don't hear from me next week it is because LO has changed all the passwords to prevent me from watching ahead of him... this is a total joke but shhh...)

Archived