Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐 - Sat & Sun @ 22:20 KST

On 8/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is romance on the cards? (Surprised by reactions to the hug when I started back reading) It never occurred to me that the hug was anything more than an act of human kindness or empathy. Maybe I need to watch the sequence again to be absolutely certain I haven't missed anything ;). It isn't the age gap so much the issue as the sort of dysfunctional familial dynamic that they've been aiming for in the show. If the show is trying to set up both HTJ and YG in some kind of noona romance then they're doing a lousy job of it... it's come out of absolutely nowhere. TJ seems to me more likely to be paired up with DCG. Not that I think there's any kind of romance in the air between those two. In some ways they complement each other and he understands her better than anyone else. But I never once thought that we'd get romance in this drama on any level.

Besides, YG gave her the hug because he thought she was leaving the team. Seems more like a goodbye and thanks for the fish gesture. I think they both need some closure in their lives but darn it... the show just refuses to keep things simple. It's one hurdle after another.

The last two episodes were the best yet IMO.

I agree with you. I'm struggling to feel any romantic vibes or connections between KYG and HTJ, mainly because she's displayed, in my opinion, maternal instincts toward him (she's been protective of him from the beginning). Additionally, I think I might be feeling that way because in the first episodes HTJ's flashbacks were of KYG when he was a kid... Again, I could be wrong. As far as romance goes, I've been keeping an eye on PJH and HTJ's bodyguard. Beside the laughter/stress relief they provide every time they're on screen together, I think it could be a fun and cute pairing... :rolleyes:

• Like 8
  • Love 1

It's totally off topic but i need to answer!:mrgreen:

14 hours ago, thistle said:

Apologies!  Alas, I took no pictures of the most recent bread.  But I have found an old picture of a batch of my bread....

God, this looks so yummy!:w00t: I feel full at watching it! :blush:

Usually I make six loaves at a time but this weekend I made twelve because the weather is so very hot right now (the Heat Index today is over 110) and I figured that if I had to heat the kitchen up anyway, I might as well make enough bread to last a couple of months.  

It wouldn't last me few months: i love bread so much, i can eat it all the time at every meal with sweet food as much as with savory food!

That's why i stopped it entirely: it's my biggest weakness and it makes me take so much weight!:bawling:

well, actually the recipe is my mother's so it's the bread I have eaten all my life (we never ever bought bread) and no other bread ever tastes quite as good to me, although I do make many kinds of bread.

So you never go to bakeries? :oI would never be able to resist the entrance of a bakery :tears:: i live in a country that worships bread and pastry. There is 6 of them in my neighborhood and you can find them at every corner in the rest of the town, so i'm pretty much addicted to bread and cakes.:sweatingbullets:

But i'm good only at eating it, i have no talent to make it! :lol:

Back to the topic, here the bts for ep 11 to 12!  :w00t:

This scene looks like a painting!:o:w00t:

Every movement and position was so well thought and played! 

EBvvsVRUIAMqZpm?format=jpg&name=small

Source: flyawaypp

giphy.gif

Credit: ahjeosi

• Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

So you never go to bakeries? :o

The Off-Topic-ness is my fault entirely.  :)  I don't live inside a town or anywhere near a city, so there are no bakeries here (although there's a pastry shop in a nearby town).  But I love baking bread, and it's what my mother taught me to do.  It's healthier and cheaper.  

51 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

This scene looks like a painting!:o:w00t:

Every movement and position was so well thought and played! 

It looks like it was really was well-planned and choreographed.  Even the colors that the cast are wearing co-ordinate, and they contribute to the darkness of the scenario.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, soesje said:

And if i recall correctly 9 different blood stains were found on the thumb cutting tool ..

There are 10 blood stains found.  The coroner commented that there are at least 9 victims (probably the 10th blood stain might have been left by the killer).  But this doesn't seem right coz it seems that there are mulitple "turtles". 

12 hours ago, triplem said:

Do your 5 bodies include the two guys found in the massage parlour?  What about the ex cop Park who is now in jail ( ex Muil employee) ? 

@larus TJ & her ex husband were most likely tortured by the wayward cop Kim Kang Wook ( who was killed off by Jang in eps 2 or 3) . Perhaps he was  the 1st Turtle. 

No the 5 bodies are the 5 of 6 bodies found in the deserted park coz only 5 of these bodies had their thumbs cut. 

I totally forgot about ex-cop Park who's now in jail.

Now, things don't add up any more ..... here are the people/bodies who had their thumb(s) cut:

- 5 bodies with their thumb cut found in the deserted park

- Kim Tae Joo

- Kim Tae Joo's husband

- ex-cop Park

- the kidnapper who was killed by Kim Kang Wook

- the organ trafficker

- Kim Jae Myung

- the recent two guys found in the massage parlour

Total of 13 people.

We know for the fact that Kim Tae Joo and her husband's bloodstains weren't found on the weapon.  So we have 11 people with their thumbs cut.  Have I left out anyone?

:confused:

5 hours ago, titania1000 said:

I don't ship GYK and HTJ for various reasons and yet i feel a very different vibe from them: a mix of curiosity, physical attraction, tension, desperate yearning for the same things  and uncertainity of the limits of their bond when they were around each other that  i never felt from JSY and DCK to take a similar and yet completely different relationship. 

To me, HTJ and KYG give off the vibe that they could lose control at anytime and get "there", even if it wasn't something conscious for them.

As i said, i'm not rooting for it to happen because i prefer the mature and deep understanding that HTJ has with DCK.

Mixed with their sizzling chemistry, it's largely more sexy for me that she has with DCK a man who is her equal intellectually, to who she  can confide in a secure way everything that she feels as dark as it can be, and gets approval even in her craziness.

He doesn't try to control her, he's not afraidof  how wild she can be and in the end, he knows how to stay protective and have her back. That's the most that the drama will ever give me and yet for me it's already romance in a certain way and a very compelling one. 

Bonus thought: he totally noticed that she's not wearing her ring anymore and don't tell me that he meant only as the fact that she's not hiding anymore her scar because he didn't mention her scar, only her ring. 

Really enjoyed reading your analysis on their relationship.  HSK, HTJ, and SKJ are doing a fabulous job portraying their characters.

DCK and HTJ are much more compatible couple (not necessarily in a romantic way, can be viewed as a partnership) more so than HTJ and bodyguard.

GYK and JSY definitely should be partnered up (wait ... they are already ... work wise).

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@my0t1 Oh I just realised that maybe the two guys at the parlour happened after YG's strangling. So it could have been a different pincer. So that brings us back to 9 right? I am forgetting the order of things now :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

The english subbed BTS for ep 5 to 8!

Woow: SKJ is the star of the filming set:w00t:

I loved when he was praised by the PD in ep 5 for his good work and his fighting skills during the scene where he chased the chaebol of Muil.:thumbsup:

And it was very funny that he couldn't stop to eat and finished the meal when he was shooting the breakfast scene between KYG and his father:lol:

Aww i can't believe that the producers added a line about SKJ and PHJ's chemistry!   The commentary "chemistry outburst" happened when he took HTJ's hand to protect her from PSY!:wub:

HTJ/KHJ: "explosion of cool elegance" are the right words to describe her: it can't be more true! B) 

HSK was so cute when he tried to hide his umbrella and portable fan!:lol:

Our brilliant team is working under hard conditions and still doing their best!         

• Like 4
  • Love 5

So I've finally caught up! I'm going to do some backreading on everyone's comments and opinions! :D I also want to share my thoughts and opinions too! :blush:

On 8/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, Ameera Ali said:

he was so cute in that drama glad u enjoying the drama :relaxed:

Thank you! Yes! I love Are You Human. I love his hair in that drama. I like it in Watcher too. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Nice throwback: An excerpt  with english subs of a press conference which happened before the drama started was published!

It gives insights on why the director and actors chose Watcher! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Director Of OCN Drama “Watcher” Praises Han Suk Kyu And Seo Kang Joon’s Acting

92ba58999efd43e29dff3dc16aef2572.jpeg?s=

(...)

The drama has shown good results for a cable drama, recording a personal best average viewership rating of 6.1 percent on August 11. This is the highest viewership rating for an OCN original drama in 2019, and ranks within the top 3 of all OCN dramas to date.

In an interview with Ahn Gil Ho, he said, “Unlike other genre projects, there is a psychological element to the characters. That’s why the acting adds a huge amount of suspense and tension to the story. It can be tough to make a story from each of the three lead characters’ point of views, but I did my best to direct in a way so that one person didn’t end up controlling the story. Like the title implies, ‘Watcher’ is about how a situation or case can change according to the point of view of the person who is watching.”

More here: https://www.soompi.com/article/1345761wpp/director-of-ocn-drama-watcher-praises-han-suk-kyu-and-seo-kang-joons-acting

My favourite parts!:heart:

(Basically all the interview! :mrgreen:)

Han Suk Kyu, my heart! :love:

I knew he was enjoying very much playing DCK!

Ahn Gil Ho praised the lead cast, saying, “Han Suk Kyu’s passion is really admirable. He puts a lot of detailed analysis into his characters and gives them their own color. You can feel that he really loves his character, Do Chi Gwang. He is also very respectful to his fellow actors. It’s an honor to be able to film his acting on camera.”

He continued, “[Seo Kang Joon] is an actor who has acting talent, passion, and a good character. You can’t help but admire him if you work with him. 

[Kim Hyun Joo] is a perfect Han Tae Joo, elegant, intellectual, and sharp. She is a character that always brings the decisive plot twist to the story, but [the actress] is also skilled at bringing out subtle emotions.”

So happy that the supporting cast is getting love too! :w00t:

The director also took the time to praise the supporting cast. “Not only the leads, but also Heo Sung Tae, Park Joo Hee, Joo Jin Mo, Kim Soo Jin, and Jung Do Won have been going beyond expectations in fulfilling their roles. They make the project shine. All the actors have brought detailed and realistic acting to the story, so I’m grateful to them as a director.”

watcher1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

Just found this subbed BTS on YT.  Even Jae Sik has his moment.  :wub:  Enjoy!  

• Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

You're so mean to him! :bawling::mrgreen:

Poor boy, almost lost his life trying to keep hard this ledger! It's not him, but the writer's doing: this treacherous man loves to torture him with the police betraying his pretty face at every turn. :P

never :joy: I just miss him , in uniform :yum:

I want him to give me a ticket :mrgreen: , What you think, @Lawyerh& @ktcjdrama @triplem :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
  • Awesome 1

On 8/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, Ameera Ali said:

never :joy: I just miss him , in uniform :yum:

I want him to give me a ticket :mrgreen: , What you think, @Lawyerh& @ktcjdrama @triplem :joy:

Oh Yeah, he looked so good in the uniform! :w00t:

Who doesn't want a ticket from him? :mrgreen:

@thistle Thank you for sharing the BTS!

I so needed those warm and funny offscreens moments to relax!

I'm restraining myself a lot to not post more but my brain never stops to think about the drama or my faves, and this obsession does bad things to my heart too :bawling:

Sure the drama is exciting and addictive but I feel like i'm in a constant state of stress, and because of that i'm aging faster!

I might be too old for those kind of thrillers:tears: 

Anyway, on Dramabeans, one of the members shared a more complete translation of the article with the director: 

[OSEN,2019.08.14] "Watcher", which has only four more episodes to go, is showing an exceled psychological thriller beyond the dimension with unpredictable plot development. As they approach the truth, the intertwined interests, the hidden desires behind the events, and the unrelenting twists you can't look away are offering the viewers thrills with overwhelming tension. The acclaim and praise for OCN's Watcher is getting strong. The popularity of the show also led to the ratings. The ratings of episode 12 recorded 6.1% up to 6.7% which reached the top among the shows in the same time slot, renewing its own highest ratings. This is also the highest rating among OCN 2019 dramas, and ranks among the top 3 of all OCN dramas.(Voice2 7.086%; Tunnel 6.490%; Watcher 6.094%; Life on Mars 5.851%; Player 5.803% per wiki)

The reason why Watcher has received ardent reaction is that it does not follow the grammar of genres. The person, not the event, is at the center of the double track and twists. All the characters, including Do Chi-kwang (Han Suk-kyu), Kim Young-gun (Seo Kang-jun), Han Tae-joo (Kim Hyun-joo), are not only blurry between good and evil, between friend and foe, but also hard to predict as for their next action. There is a person who reacts and chooses smartly every moment, and his/her complex inner and emotions are a double track and a twist. The game changes completely depending on who makes what choice. They move at their own pace, so they don't gather under one flag. This is one of the crucial differentiators of Watcher as creating a thrill and tension even without stimulating events. The PD Ahn Gil-ho said, “It is thanks to the script which accumulates narrative little by little, and actors who express it more than 120%." He explained, "As opposed to the existing genres, it is focused on psychological elements and characters, and the actors' acting is making the suspense and tension more powerful."

It's never easy to depict the unique suspense which gives viewers the role of watcher, constantly having doubt and confusion. PD Ahn is considered as utilizing the beauty of secretive psychological warfare with details, even not missing small eye or facial expressions. Instead of focusing on a person, he opens up the possibility of interpretation for viewers as they pursue the case calmly in their own eyes. Ahn said, “It is difficult to make a story from the point of view of the three main characters, but we have excluded the subjectivity of the directing as much as possible, without following one person's view and emotions. We tried to maintain the fact that the understanding of an event or situation may differ depending on the viewer's point of view, like the title "Watcher".

Rumors says that the actors are also paying attention to the trivial details to show more dramatic in the character's personality, and to be suitable for the psychological thriller. The chewing gum scene in the investigation room where Do Chi-kwang's Janus face was revealed was an example, which Han Suk-kyu came up with the idea. Ahn also praised the actors."Actor Han Suk-kyu's enthusiasm for analyzing and coloring his character in detail is amazing. I feel that he loves Do Chi-kwang more than anyone. Even consideration for the other actor he acts with is perfect. It is an honor to capture such acting by Han Suk-kyu on the camera." For Seo Kang-joon who is well-received with the evaluation "rediscovery" by his wide range of acts that move freely from extreme emotions, Ahn said, "He is an actor who has combination of acting skill, passion and personality. I'm always amazed at him working together." About Kim Hyun-joo, who shakes the plate and plays an active part as the most powerful joker, Ahn said, "She is an elegant, intellectual, and even sharp perfect Han Tae-joo. She is the figure who always offers a decisive twist, and I am surprised her sharpness that captures the delicate emotions and the border of good and evil."

The best scene PD Ahn picked are also moments in which the actors' performances stood out. "The scene Do Chi-kwang showed possessed image in the investigation room, the scene where Kim Young-gun showed the restrained sorrow after he lost his father, and the scene Han Tae-joo expressed regrets after the death of prosecutor Lee Dong-yoon, who had a clue of the past, were better than I imagined." He continued, "As well as the lead characters, actors Heo Sung-tae, Park Ju-hee, Joo Jin-mo, Kim Su-jin, and Jeong Do-won are also playing their roles better than expected, shining the show. All the actors are making intensive drama with realistic and restrained acting skills, so I am always grateful as the director."

The show which has been run with passion has only two more weeks to air, but there is still a mystery to solve. Ahn said, "In the beginning, we built relationships and the narratives of the three main characters through events, and from the mid-point, we told their collaboration, clash and conflicts. In the remaining four episodes, not only the conclusion of the storylines accumulated in the past, but also the relations of suspicion and guard against each other will change. It will be fun to watch Do Chi-kwang, Kim Young-gun, and Han Tae-joo moving toward the truth and justice, and showing the emotions when they encounter them. Please watch till the end."

Credit: Fan on Dramabeans Open Thread #617

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

D-Day! :w00t:

But those pics! Why?:tears:

69029572_2411832088865216_29383256742486

68455765_2411832028865222_83724538162509

68375924_2411832125531879_72728660558846

Spoiler

68508425_2411832045531887_58952908279570

Spoiler

68267388_2411832182198540_79632767616118

Spoiler

68267388_2411832182198540_79632767616118

Spoiler

68453782_2411832218865203_69904078580807

Spoiler

68581150_2411832288865196_60855978180707

Spoiler

68525491_2411832315531860_42725634237341

Spoiler

69336624_2411832355531856_30583297878031

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 6

More pics from this article:

‘왓쳐’ 서강준 김현주에 닥친 절체절명의 위기 “반전 넘어 충격”

201908171111288010_5_20190817111545451.j

Google translation helped to confirm that based on the writer of the article they were indeed multiple "turtle": 

• The one that killed KYG's mother and attacked HTJ and her husband
  • Kim Kang-wook
  • and Officer Park which was arrested last week and is still in coma.

The corruption investigation team succeeded in arresting the killer Turtle and took a step closer to the reality of the police elite secretary 'Society'. In particular, I was shocked by the fact that the 'turtle' was not a single person. The turtle in the Han Tae-ju couple's case was Kim Kang-wook (Lee Jae-yun), and Park Chan-hee (Kim Dae-gun) continued murder after Kim Kang-wook's death. However, the identity of Turtle, who killed Kim Young-kun's mother 15 years ago, is unknown. Do Chi-kwang (Han Seok-gyu) arrests Park Jin-woo (Ju Jin-mo), who is connected to 'Jeong-so,' on drug charges, and is keenly struggling to step on the tail. Han Tae-ju, who found 'Turtle' that he was chasing, decided to fall out of the corruption investigation team, but her ex-husband Yun Ji-hoon (Park Hoon-bun) appeared in front of Han Tae-ju and predicted another blue.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

Its nice reading your thoughts and comments guys. I still haven't watched ep11 & 12. Took a long break for the school holidays and I need some catching up with my dramas... Hopefully soon as ep13 is already underway. 

Thanks for the photos. I saw them in OCN FB today. Looks like Young Goon and Lawyer Han get tied up... 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

One more chance , @thistle so we could brag about our bodyguard :kiss_wink: 

5d580443474f7074622600.gif?download

Spoiler

5d5804a3c57f4800724049.gif?download

5d580506af477194011724.gif?download

:joy::mrgreen: , so he didn’t end up like them ( sorry @titania1000 couldn’t resist poor guy he end up like that again , at least they can develop some romance while they are waiting for help :lol:

68508425_2411832045531887_58952908279570

Spoiler

68455765_2411832028865222_83724538162509

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

One more chance , @thistle so we could brag about our bodyguard :kiss_wink: 

Oh yes, I like Our Bodyguard's weapons!  ;)

But, seriously, where does he keep all those items in that nicely fitted tailored suit?!  :blink:

• Like 4
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 2

6 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

:joy::mrgreen: , so he didn’t end up like them ( sorry @titania1000 couldn’t resist poor guy he end up like that again , at least they can develop some romance while they are waiting for help :lol:

They look hot together all tied :mrgreen: 

Pretty sure our young cop want complain if he gets some rough sexy action with such hot lady. :naughty:

Howewer after watching ep 13, it's not them that i want to watch but definitely KYG  and JSY who captured once more my heart! 

Their interactions are so fun, playful, relaxed, warm, tender and sweet! That's my favourite side of KYG!:heart:

Oh My, What a scary and creepy episode! :scream:

I strictly have no idea what was going on because there was so much dialogues, but the atmosphere was the most bleak ever! They added almost no music and a lot of scenes (more than usual) were shot inside, in dark rooms which really emphasized the impression.

Especially the last scene with DCK! So sinister!

Quick recap for the people who like spoilers!

• During the first half of the episode, HTJ's ex husband meets KYG and DCK: KYG takes his card and even shake his hand but DCK refuses to do it. 
  • DCK might have been promoted: he's lurking in DC Park's office and he leads here the interview with the ex cop and the meeting with his lawyers: HTJ  to DCK's surprise and her ex husband (is the ex husband the one who brought the case for the  defense for DC Park to her?)
  • DCK tries to spy with a camera hidden in the mural clock on HTJ during her meeting  with DC Park but she's still using the device which stop the sound to be recorded.:lol:
  • Back to HTJ's office, we got a long  flashback of her attack at home and finally the face of Turtle is showed. It's Kim Kang-wook! :o But HTJ woke up just after: she was half sleeping in her office. Was it a memory or a dream? 
  • DCK sends JSY on a mission that she doesn't want to do. She pleads her case but DCK rejects her arguments as usual and  KYG shows support by going with her and waiting for her in the car to see how it went.
  • The team investigates HTJ's ex husband and HTJ herself releases some info about him.
  • The lawyer is revealed to be a true bad guy, completely psycho: he lures KYG to his office to show him some reports but then 6 men appear from out of nowhere and started to beat KYG with baseball bats.
  • KYG won the fight but he's hit by HTJ's ex husband who uses a poisoned knife. KYG loses consciousness.
  • DCK tries to call KYG but neither him or JSY can reach him: it seems suspicious to them. 
  • DCK meets the ex husband in his new office with commissioner Yeom. He noticed that his face is bruised and gives the info that HTJ has revealed something about him.   
  • HTJ is kidnapped by her ex husband, who seems bitter to have been betrayed, at her office but has time to inform DCK.
  • At HTJ's office, Jae Sik, is panicked by the mess created by the attack and the kidnapping of his boss. He's joined by DCK and JSY. DCK receives calls from the ex husband but hangs up on him.:crazy: They call each other back for short conversations and then DCK asks Jae Sik and JSY to do something. 
  • DCK returns to the team office: the place is very calm and empty. In the interrogation room, DC Park is being interviewed. DCK shuts the camera, gives him pills and water and starts asking him questions. But DC Park collapses in pain while DCK keeps talking in a very scary tone: finally between two convulsions, DC Park reveals something. 
  • But DCK leaves him on the ground,  unconscious, switch the light and closes the door. He goes to the mirror and start to style differently his hair.:scream::bawling:     

The trailer for next episode: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

Howewer after watching ep 13, it's not them that i want to watch but definitely KYG  and JSY who captured my heart! 

Their interactions are so fun, playful, relaxed, warm, tender and sweet! That's my favourite side of KYG!:heart:

I kind of ship them :lol:...but then again, I am not expecting romance for this drama. They are cute together. I have always enjoyed their interactions...they are good teammates at the very least.

Oh wow , so TJ's husband is indeed a bad bad guy. Was he trying to cut YG's thumb in the preview ??? He better not hurt him but @Lawyerh and @Ameera Ali no cop uniform but he looks good fighting :relaxed: especially in the preview

Some cuts from OCN

Spoiler

DCK torturing Park seems a little scary...but I will stick to my guns that DCK is not the mastermind or part of Jang Society

Preview

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

This scene was just mindblowing! His acting is so spectacular!:scream:

He's driving me crazy with all those doubts he keeps planting in my head! :bawling:

giphy.gif

Credit:ahjeosi

@triplem

Hopeless or not, i need to ship them to warm my heart and because i'm weak: did you notice the level of teasing and skinship between them? They are all over each other and i can't resist that! :w00t::wub:

From the preview for ep 14, @Ameera Ali and @Lawyerh I'm crying: KYG under the rain, that's too beautiful for words! :tears:

giphy.gif

Credit: mellowcatSKJ

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1