Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐 - Sat & Sun @ 22:20 KST

Is romance on the cards? (Surprised by reactions to the hug when I started back reading) It never occurred to me that the hug was anything more than an act of human kindness or empathy. Maybe I need to watch the sequence again to be absolutely certain I haven't missed anything ;). It isn't the age gap so much the issue as the sort of dysfunctional familial dynamic that they've been aiming for in the show. If the show is trying to set up both HTJ and YG in some kind of noona romance then they're doing a lousy job of it... it's come out of absolutely nowhere. TJ seems to me more likely to be paired up with DCG. Not that I think there's any kind of romance in the air between those two. In some ways they complement each other and he understands her better than anyone else. But I never once thought that we'd get romance in this drama on any level.

Besides, YG gave her the hug because he thought she was leaving the team. Seems more like a goodbye and thanks for the fish gesture. I think they both need some closure in their lives but darn it... the show just refuses to keep things simple. It's one hurdle after another.

The last two episodes were the best yet IMO.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is romance on the cards? (Surprised by reactions to the hug when I started back reading) It never occurred to me that the hug was anything more than an act of human kindness or empathy. Maybe I need to watch the sequence again to be absolutely certain I haven't missed anything

No, you did not miss anything. It was not a romantic hug. IMO Young Goon just heard that she will leave the team. Everyone in the team get closer with time.

People have a soft spot for romance or anything about feelings. I read everytime that people don`t want to see romance in the thriller dramas but they are so excited when two characters came closer. :D

I personally like when thriller genre dramas have moments of human kindness, friendship, closeness.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Just binge watched all 12 episodes of this over the long weekend, and so the husband is not dead?? Wahh....

• Like 8

5 hours ago, pyeongsaeng said:

'flirty' seems quite extreme here. it seems to suggest they've been behaving to each other in a playful/sexually attracted way.

Apparently you did not read what I wrote:  I said that in the first couple of episodes, they seemed attracted but that after that they did not.  I thought that the hug was a little off kilter because it seemed that they were being untruthful with one another yet again.

I did not see the hug as comforting at all.  It was quite uncomfortable and out of character, the situation notwithstanding.  As with so many other situations in this drama, what appears on the surface to be one thing is actually another.  The hug was a lie from both sides.

3 hours ago, larus said:

So I was wrong after all! Turtle was not a woman.

In spite of the fact that the Turtle that got caught repeated things that were said to YG by Turtle, I still think that the Turtle we saw trying to kill YG was a woman.  The "caught Turtle" was high on drugs and was undoubtedly working under orders for someone.  He could have been coached.

.............editing because:  I wrote a whole lot more for this post and it all inexplicably disappeared.  oh rats!  maybe I'll find the patience to re-write later, now I'm just going to go pout and drink a cup of tea.  ^_^

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Oooo! So much to digest.

Yeom is definitely part of  Giant's Club... her tit-for-tat chat with DCK pretty much confirmed that imo. Also, fairly cryptic when she said that DC Park doesn't realise that he is dispensable to the GC. Also the way she implied that DCK could take the job of DC at the end... 

I think it is fascinating that DC Park(and before Chief Kim) keeps suspecting that DCK is part of Giant's Club. He certainly has all the markers of someone capable of coordinating a network... and the morals as well... I was pretty shocked that DCK was willing to fabricate evidence again! (still think it means we might see him behind bars at the end of the show).

Not surprised that 1-hubby is alive and 2- that they are divorced(after severe trauma a lot of marriages break down). Since they never mentioned he was dead I always assumed he was alive. I wonder if he was a cop... or prosecution...  Seems like both of his thumbs were cut off (I think the only other people were the two bodies in the massage parlour). Interestingly, the fact he had both thumbs removed completely removes his human-ness... 

Spoiler

Wild theory!!!

We keep talking about manipulation of memory. What if ex-hubby had his thumbs removed before HTJ? Say by a criminal and so he is obsessed with the idea of thumbs because of it? ... especially the left thumb, the first we see, looks like a much older and messier scar than the one on his right hand which is very clean and surgical, like HTJ.

What if he is actually part of this? That he ordered for her thumb to be cut off... I don't think he did it btw but that he could be one of the people controlling behind the scenes. She just remembers him as being one of the hostages because she can't process the idea that he was the one to remove her thumb. If he is crazy (and the way he appeared/greeted her gives me that feeling) then I could imagine him removing his own thumb as a way to cover-up what happened.

Like I said super crazy theory so... feel free to ignore!

The hug... I think we are forgetting aspects of cultural norms in Korea as well. The hug was awkward but then it *would* be awkward in K society for a younger man to hug an older woman with whom he only has a work relationship. None of our leads are very affectionate and I think we need to chalk it up to two people who are not used to giving or receiving physical affection or support.

LO will watch tonight and if he has insights will let y'all know!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 4

I'm not caught up as usual (!) on the thread or last episode, but i couldn't resist: you know how much i love to brag about the ratings and i'm so rewarded this week:  look at those beautiful numbers brought by ep12!!!:oB):w00t::lol:

cGQc0ieAQI7hpzPPdnJshHRXf6AaUDDX_B1KYkJGw2NlGuWV7A0G5eSfGaRqAz88KTSti0feSymcQBOvYTLcqJWn51s8AjfIVBDtBBOyA4m3SSzkGzW2KpHQYakF_XPVJUtu4aqwIve4iNPUkuqWUVNjZ8ontn5J5_kNbpsMRaPxoIESiA61I4jOUjTBoojjRsaPSa4arqz0h9W1TlBPSl2yqf1dbAGNQHZluHU2O08UXO111gdgKNNlpvSx0iCXaXmtbCIZk5Lw69PkZRz8Cp7UiZUHXiTMHqVOv7DLsvAc57e0i8Aa8aXvukv2eYeEIFgIo5PiQfRBQGlLLrfrcVkm61QSnBQQl3ZQ8Sy-mfjCqgKBYfOkcEDQ99s7ewLW1Afi3P0O9PmvNQH_Dy2ABSNnWzZXApMS2_39f8BfgQxya4j-4fb2QDDAdC9DsIX9cpAsrY9VAUln9-3x1yHjdgrCTqWmqoU7qXOgx7hDytfmKE7yqb207RCK1S_de65m9Zp4ZHe3n0arSP5-5Kco-0MD6xQ6-z-hmkH1MymUPMS2TArORQm2KS8liKco9NKedYmsuibHUVZL_rMFoO4GiHmuw5pR0ZUJr9O5n20Q2DVJGGxARA3S3Dz6ePrSQRRTctNPY-00ViSd9vNdPyU9th3-UaJVcR4=w898-h329-no

I'm on the moon and everything is perfect! :bawling:

Don't tell me that the drama is approaching its end (i'm not ready to face it:cry:), just support my belief that it will break Ocn's record and can reach 8%!:blush: 

• Like 4
  • Love 7

“Hotel Del Luna” Surpasses 10 Percent Ratings For 1st Time + “Watcher” Also Hits New Personal Best

faf6a9feb8354c4aa55081bfa1e4edbb.jpeg?s=

OCN’s “Watcher” also set a new personal best for itself, with episode 12 scoring average ratings of 6.1 percent and peaking at 6.7 percent across cable, IPTV, and satellite platforms. The channel sets their target audience on the 2549 age bracket, and they scored an average of 4 percent and peaked at 4.4 percent with them.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1344885wpp/hotel-del-luna-surpasses-10-percent-ratings-for-1st-time-watcher-also-hits-new-personal-best

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thistle said:

Apparently you did not read what I wrote:  I said that in the first couple of episodes, they seemed attracted but that after that they did not.  I thought that the hug was a little off kilter because it seemed that they were being untruthful with one another yet again.

i read what you wrote, just felt that flirty was too extreme to describe them, even in the first couple of episodes. being attracted to each other and being flirty with each other are on two different levels...i agree with you that they may have seemed attracted to each other because of their common trauma, but they definitely did not display flirty behaviour. it was nowhere near 'flirty'. anyhow...i do like that there's no romance here so far because the suspicions, the mystery and the dynamics between the characters have been more than engaging and intriguing enough. i hope they keep to it till the end (4 episodes to go!)

also, grats to the whole production team as ep12 reached 6.1%! saw that it's currently ranked 3rd among ocn's all-time highest episode ratings, that's no mean feat :)i particularly like the directing and camerawork in this too, the angles at which some scenes are shot are very nice.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, thistle said:

In spite of the fact that the Turtle that got caught repeated things that were said to YG by Turtle, I still think that the Turtle we saw trying to kill YG was a woman.  The "caught Turtle" was high on drugs and was undoubtedly working under orders for someone.  He could have been coached. 

We`ll see. But I really thought the one who attacked Young Goon was a woman as well. I paid close attention when Thumb Killer was fighting with Tae Joo. Sometimes I saw some similarity but not compleatly. 

About the pincers... It is interesting that the only blood that was not found on it was Tae Joo and her ex-husband`s. The torture instrument was used by all the killers on every victims but not for Tae Joo and her husband. It`s curious.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3

Spoiler

5d51eebaa4a48463481689.gif?download

5d51eefdba5d0774647973.gif?download

5d51efa8250c3061436247.gif?download

5d51ef6a35f50802149044.gif?download

Latest member to the club :sweat_smile:

download

Me : :joy:

5d51edee55c1a378418196.gif?download

• LOL 13

I am trying to recall but not successful... it was never mentioned what was the case TK was working on when she got her thumb cut, right? Just that she had suspicions about KJM’s wife’s murder? 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, larus said:

About the pincers... It is interesting that the only blood that was not found on it was Tae Joo and her ex-husband`s. The torture instrument was used by all the killers on every victims but not for Tae Joo and her husband. It`s curious.

You pointed out a very interesting fact.  How many blood samples the coroner get from the torture instrument?  Was it 10?  We had 6 bodies, 5 of which had the thumb cut.  We then have our first victim, the guy who Young Geun thought he kidnapped his own daughter, following the organ trafficker's thumb, Kim Jae Myung's thumbs.  So we have 8 out of 10.  If the other two aren't from Tae Joo and her husband.  Who could they belong to?

The blood samples cannot be of the two most recent victims.  It doesn't seem to fit the timeline.  Since the torture instrument was left at Young Geun's apartment by "Turtle".  If "turtle" killed and/or tortured the latest two victims, shouldn't they both be dead by now?  :confused:

If these blood samples do in fact belong to the latest victims, Tae Joo's husband is even more suspicious.  He would become my number one suspect! 

1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

Latest member to the club :sweat_smile:

Love this scene, cracks me up!  Young Geun still has a lot to learn. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, my0t1 said:

If these blood samples do in fact belong to the latest victims, Tae Joo's husband is even more suspicious.  He would become my number one suspect! 

I don`t know if he is the mastermind or not. I admit that it came through my mind for a second that he could knew the thumb killer, and he accepted to be tortured along Tae Joo to not get the suspisious on him. (It`s crazy, I know) But... why he did not find a better way to obtain the information from his wife?

I think he is sure involved with the corupt people one way or another. I can`t wait to see more about him or about Tae Joo`s past.

• Like 9

Or, he is like PSY... after being tortured, he turned and worked for the baddies? 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am trying to recall but not successful... it was never mentioned what was the case TK was working on when she got her thumb cut, right? Just that she had suspicions about KJM’s wife’s murder? 

The only thing we know is that she was reinvestigating KJM’s case. So I think it was a warning not to do so . 

12 hours ago, my0t1 said:

You pointed out a very interesting fact.  How many blood samples the coroner get from the torture instrument?  Was it 10?  We had 6 bodies, 5 of which had the thumb cut.  We then have our first victim, the guy who Young Geun thought he kidnapped his own daughter, following the organ trafficker's thumb, Kim Jae Myung's thumbs.  So we have 8 out of 10.  If the other two aren't from Tae Joo and her husband.  Who could they belong to?

Do your 5 bodies include the two guys found in the massage parlour?  What about the ex cop Park who is now in jail ( ex Muil employee) ? 

@larus TJ & her ex husband were most likely tortured by the wayward cop Kim Kang Wook ( who was killed off by Jang in eps 2 or 3) . Perhaps he was  the 1st Turtle. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Wow last episode she was crazy , good crazy , loved how mentally strong she become :wub:

5d52b50341073675558567.gif?download

5d52b379a7dd2358835303.gif?download

Spoiler

5d52b3c209e81848758312.gif?download

5d52b4163de6a025273997.gif?download

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 4

I am so sad to just now post something..i have been reading alle the post from the beginning and i wanted to point out that i really feel like it is suspicious that all the turtles worked for jang jae ryeon..

The first one JJR killed in front of YG i forgot the name of that guy and the second one that they just caught also works under JJR..

So what is the connection.. I dont trust this guy he seems suspicious

edit: And if i recall correctly 9 different blood stains were found on the thumb cutting tool ..

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

Recent episodes be like:

DCG is suspicious. *Helps the team.* Suspicions cancelled. 

DCG fabricated evidence. DCG is suspicious. *Helps the team.* Suspicions cancelled. 

• LOL 10
  • Awesome 1

On romance, i have mixed feelings on what have been said in the last comments: 

It's completely true that the drama works very well without romance but at the same time it's also not enough to prevent me for shipping certain characters together, because this point doesn't rely on the plot, but on the chemistry between the actors and my capacity on expanding the story in my mind.

I don't feel necessarily the need to write about it but when i watch DCK and HTJ together, i see a powerful couple (and a potential one in KYG and JSY case) and interpret their scenes under this biais most of the time.  

When the drama treat us with emotional scenes between my favourites, i squee internally.:wub:

No matter how random it can be, If i root for them, i will be happy. That's why i tried to cheer GYK and HTJ's shippers with the gifs.:heart:

I don't ship GYK and HTJ for various reasons and yet i feel a very different vibe from them: a mix of curiosity, physical attraction, tension, desperate yearning for the same things  and uncertainity of the limits of their bond when they were around each other that  i never felt from JSY and DCK to take a similar and yet completely different relationship. 

To me, HTJ and KYG give off the vibe that they could lose control at anytime and get "there", even if it wasn't something conscious for them.

As i said, i'm not rooting for it to happen because i prefer the mature and deep understanding that HTJ has with DCK.

Mixed with their sizzling chemistry, it's largely more sexy for me that she has with DCK a man who is her equal intellectually, to who she  can confide in a secure way everything that she feels as dark as it can be, and gets approval even in her craziness.

He doesn't try to control her, he's not afraidof  how wild she can be and in the end, he knows how to stay protective and have her back. That's the most that the drama will ever give me and yet for me it's already romance in a certain way and a very compelling one. 

Bonus thought: he totally noticed that she's not wearing her ring anymore and don't tell me that he meant only as the fact that she's not hiding anymore her scar because he didn't mention her scar, only her ring. :naughty:                     

On 8/12/2019 at 12:20 AM, Ameera Ali said:

Did you need to ask that , of course the turtle is a fan , he want to meet the man who keep losing  people effortlessly :mrgreen::joy:

You're so mean to him! :bawling::mrgreen:

Poor boy, almost lost his life trying to keep hard this ledger! It's not him, but the writer's doing: this treacherous man loves to torture him with the police betraying his pretty face at every turn. :P

Well he should pay him back by giving him a lot of hugs with JSY instead. :w00t:

I want the missing apology scene after he pushed her back so brutally when she tried to stop him from killing Turtle. <_<

How does she end up sitting with him and watching him at the hospital to not let him make a big mistake with the killer without talking about what happened?    

On 8/12/2019 at 12:24 AM, thistle said:

I don't know.  I was just thinking odd theories while I was kneading piles and piles of bread dough.  :blink:

All this talk about bread and no pics! :tears:

One day before the end, you must give us a glimpse of it: i'm losing my mind trying to imagine what your bread looks like, as much as with  the drama.  :pensive:   

On 8/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Maybe I was biased because as the show progressed I grew to really like HSK's Do Chi Gwang a lot. I wasn't sure about him at first but I've come to appreciate and love that laid-back facade which essentially masks a shrewd operator. 

The position of "Turtle" while not hereditary, is based on a succession model. That's an interesting development. He's the Jang Society's executioner. And the Jang Society is like a star chamber within the police force that acts as judge and jury. A self-appointed vigilante group.

Sigh... evidently even after Episode 12, DCG isn't in the clear judging from the previews. Sigh... I don't want him to be Turtle the First and I have my doubts regarding that because he operates with a very different MO. His tendency is to set up traps and/or plant evidence. He tends to use his smarts to get things done rather than violence. He reads people generally very effectively. However an interesting development indeed with the arrival of HTJ's ex. I knew he had survived but thought he had been locked up in some psychiatric facility languishing away from trauma. I had no expectation that he would return.

Another person I find fascinating is the Commissioner. She gave the impression in the early days that she was merely an overambitious bureaucrat who is more interested in propping her self-image. Lately though, I get the impression that while she's a political animal, she does seem to care about corruption and vigilantes in the force.

Anyway, the show gets better with each new week. Hope it all ends well for the team and that my faith in DCG proves to be warranted. ;)

I love this discussion about the ambiguous nature of DCK: it shows perfectly how well he's written and acted by HSK. B)

After 12 episodes, we haven't exhausted all of the possible roads that this character can take.:w00t:

Thinking about his badass attitude in front of the mirror in the preview and his last conversation with DC Park about his possible involvement with Jang Society, i wonder if he's his next move won't be to try to infiltrate them. It would be a good twist to keep him busy and ambiguous until the end. 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:50 PM, disembody said:

agreee with the fam bonding. they're all very emotionally fragmented people who don't really have the best ways of dealing but even through that they have this respect for each other. they're very forgiving. this is prrobably why they let HTJ do a lot of things, or it's easy for them to let her go, but at the same time you're just disappointed.

i think that seeps into all their relationships. they're not trusting but KYG, DCK, HTJ, even SY value the truth over pretend. so it's a lot on SY's back to lie. she had to stop, but being found out was good for her. they all want to know what's going on. another ex would be HTJ straight up lying then explaining after and demanding the truth. it's interesting, hypocrtical, but that's what makes them work and helps them keep going.

gotta be honest for ep 11 i was so annoyed lmao but now i just think the show is frustrating and a little dumb but it's so so so intriguing and it is SO beautiful and well acted, so i have to watch it! 

will have to see in a rewatch what holds up. it's a frustrating show but i look forward to the frustration and marveling at how pretty it is and how i wish things were clearer but the atmosphere is great...

I'm like you: ignoring the plot holes here and here because a drama that offers a thrilling mystery and compelling character development through complex and yet relatable characters is so rare! 

Like you said, it's beautiful!  :heart:

On 8/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, triplem said:

Feels  like we are  further from finding out the truth then we were before,  and I wonder if at the end they will actually be able to expose  Jang Society much less bring them down. Something DC Park said before his arrest bugged me. He said theoretically if such an organisation exists , the higher ups would have never allowed it . They could not possibly lose all the cream of the crop. Then he said if they did , they all moved independently and that they would only know their own nominees. This means  it is very hard to trace how high up or extensive this network is . He also gave a very cryptic answer when YG  asked him about Jang Society.  He mentioned how one case is used to cover up another and that is how it works between public officials. And soon these cases get buried as so much happens in the country and I suppose people forget. So this reinforces the ongoing "turf war" between  factions within the police and  the prosecution. In fact Yeom was rather happy with the capture of DC Park and she said it was a trade off for the death of DA Min.

And then now , there's TJ husband...is he a part of a different faction ? We know he isn't a cop , so not a Jang member...but there are other private groups right?   So I am back to knowing much more but knowing nothing.

It's possible that they would leave the end open: the trend is  for multiple seasons dramas and HSK seems to not be against it as proved by the negociations to come back in RDTK 2.

They can solve HTJ's arc for good and open the door for SKJ and DCK to come back if the web that is Jang Society is proved to be larger than expected with KHJ doing cameos in s2. I say cameo because i'm not sure that KHJ would come back for more.

I see (for no clear reason just a hunch) HTJ's husband as a prosecutor and imagine that he was the reason they were attacked: in the very recent short flashback where she got her thumbs cut, he looked more guilty than shocked and devastated.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, larus said:

I was not comformtable to see Do Chi-Gwang planting evidence the second time because he thought he is doing the right thing. I do think that Park Jin-Woo was corupt but I wish they would have caught him on the act/ or with strong evidence.

I noticed that DCK went through a lot of emotions after DC Park was arrested and blamed him: guilt, regrets and anxiety/fear. 

I have  a hard time to believe that he would trap someone again, just on a suspicion after what happened to KMJ. So i wonder if he has more clues that we didn't see or if  he did just get ride temporarly of DC Park to shake things and see what comes out.   

The evidence for DC Park's arrest has been staged in a way that would make it easy to deconstruct in a real investigation but since Commissioner Yeom is more than happy to trade him for the DA who died to make peace with the prosecution, there's few chances that anybody would look too deep in it.  It might earn enough time to DCK to find the truth and clear DC Park if he's not guilty.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

57 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

All this talk about bread and no pics! :tears:

One day before the end, you must give us a glimpse of it: i'm losing my mind trying to imagine what your bread looks like, as much as with  the drama.  :pensive:   

Apologies!  Alas, I took no pictures of the most recent bread.  But I have found an old picture of a batch of my bread.....well, actually the recipe is my mother's so it's the bread I have eaten all my life (we never ever bought bread) and no other bread ever tastes quite as good to me, although I do make many kinds of bread.

IMAG0121.JPG

Usually I make six loaves at a time but this weekend I made twelve because the weather is so very hot right now (the Heat Index today is over 110) and I figured that if I had to heat the kitchen up anyway, I might as well make enough bread to last a couple of months.  

And I really did think a lot about Watcher while kneading.  The only real conclusion I came to was the one that I already had:  the only person I can trust is Jae Sik!  :wub:

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 4