[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

Ratings For Seo Kang Joon’s Drama “Watcher” Soar To All-Time High For Finale

by E. Cha
9de4bd83fb5d4cdb8f7a1339f4f1d4c1.jpeg?s=

OCN’s “Watcher” has ended with a bang!

According to Nielsen Korea, the August 25 finale of the psychological thriller drama achieved its highest viewership ratings yet. The episode scored an average rating of 6.6 percent nationwide, which not only marked a significant increase of 1.6 percent from the previous night, but also set a new personal record for the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1348051wpp/ratings-for-seo-kang-joons-drama-watcher-soar-to-all-time-high-for-finale

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit behind. Hectic weekend as it turned out. Thought I'll take a bit of time out after watching Ep.15.

Sigh... I don't know what to think of this show sometimes. If it weren't for the actors... I dunno...  I feel that it's dragging its feet a bit. And we have a push-pull relationship. That said,  I'm glad that we're finally given all the ins and outs of the Jang Society. Wish I had binge-watched this... would have had a better grasp of who's who. At least now I feel that all the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place in a roundabout way. We had our suspicions didn't we so very little of it is a surprise. (Except for the bit that KMJ was the one who started it all)

I will probably get pilloried for saying this but I don't really know how to say this nicely considering someone died horribly and unnecessarily... What Mum did that night was really silly. Why in the world did she pick up the knife... and then attempt to attack a trained cop without the necessary wherewithal? Loyalty to her husband is fine and all that but her first priority was to keep herself safe so that her young son will have someone to care for him. Think of how differently things would have played out if she'd played it a lot smarter.

I feel really sorry for YG. Always have. He is the innocent in all of his. A lot of people screwed his life up... starting with his father. In a real enough way... surprisingly... his father was actually responsible for his mother's death. He started something that spiralled completely out of control which gave room for egotistical people to hijack the ride.

I realise that guilty people are not always logical but JHR... *eye rolling* saying he didn't want his daughter to have a father for a murderer was the father of all kinds of irony. That deserved a punch at least. Don't people in this show think through things before launching into them with both feet?

Despite the brickbats I will say this... the show is good at showing the consequences of so-called good intentions. As the old saying goes... the path to hell is paved with good intentions... that's certainly well-illustrated here. All these men thinking that they were going to save the world and started destroying their own conscience because they rationalized their way to satisfying their bloodlust. The fact that Park Jin Woo still thinks he's God's gift to mankind is shows how far gone he is in his self-justification.

That's why justice has to be done first and then there has to be forgiveness. Otherwise the cycle of vengeance and anger just continues.

@larus hi dear, I did not know you are also hosting this drama forum. Glad to see you here again. :D

I really like this drama until the end, my friend told me not to watch it because she said too many dialogues, but I have never regret to watch it till the end.

Reasons being :

1. I enjoyed most of the drama in OCN channel, but not all.

2. This drama has thriller and mysterious genre that I liked.

3. The story ending was practical and fascinating, and I like the writer put in such sentence spoken by Kim Young-Koon : "I will be watching over you" : we indeed need a "watcher" to watch over the entire police system for anti-corruption, just like we need an auditor or corporate governance to check regularly on the corporate financial system.  There will be no ending to catch the bad cops in the society, even if the Jang society collapse one day , there will be another kind of organisation being formed or coined that back up by the higher-up. The root of all evil goes back to the human nature. It will be an on going effort to protect the entire integrity systems that what people believe in. When people say, they would do what they think it's right for them, it may not be the righteous way for others., and that's why we need 3rd party who watches over the watcher :D

I feel that fair and justice lies the notion of balance – most people get what is right, fair and appropriate. We always feel that we deserve equal and impartial treatment from the society but may be our concept of justice is more than a way to legitimize our desire for revenge. (look at drama role : Jang Hae-Ryong, Han Tae-Joo, Yoon Ji-Hoon and Kim Young-Koon using their concept of "justice" to look up for revenge) - this can lead to a wrong motive if no watcher watches over them.

I would look forward for season 2, if there is any..:)

4 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

@larus hi dear, I did not know you are also hosting this drama forum. Glad to see you here again. :D

Yeah... but it is ending. :tears: I hope there will be more interesting dramas to watch like this one.

I like the ending. It could be possible for a second season or they could let be a single season drama. The major story was revealed but we know that bad things are yet to happen in the future.

Do Chi-Gwang is still unpredictable. I am glad that he confessed what he did wrong but he can do anytime the same thing if he thinks he is right. He needs someone to keep an eye on him. The team is perfect. I hope I will see them again in another season. Fingers crossed.

Who watches the watchers?:D

It is worth fighting for justice but it is always difficult to keep the right line. I find hope in this drama. Good job!

13 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

I love her talking method, she hires herself 

I laughed when she came to see Jang Hae Ryong and said "I`m here" and he was like... "No, I don`t want you as my lawyer".

Yeah... she often hires herself.  :w00t:

She became prosecutor again. It suits her more. He was catching the bad guys anyway. :)

I have the impression that KYG's father had remorse and wanted to stop the Jang society and reveal its existence, however the other members like PJW disagreed. That's why he was framed with the murder of his wife. PJW decided to take control of Jang society. From my point of view, he has been eliminated because just like 15 years ago, there was an inner fight among the Jang society. Yeom is definitely part of it. To me, the organization reminds me of the hydra, once a head is cut, another head appears.

12 hours ago, larus said:

Do Chi-Gwang is still unpredictable.

Agreed. While i never once doubted his intentions as in he  did and still does want to put the bad guys in jail, that last scene with YG seems to indicate that in some ways he maybe no different from Yeom, DC Park , and the rest of the loose coalition of the members of Jang Society. They too have so called good and justified reasons to do what they did . But of course it is their definition of  right and wrong , and who the villains are. I can see why YG's dad and the early members of Jang started this - they are venting out their frustration at a system that has loopholes to which the really bad guys can exploit . Unfortunately the society started to take a life of its own. I mentioned a loose coalition because I don't think any of the stakeholders we've been shown here know how far up or extensive the society is. Or whether it is properly organised & cohesive . I agree with @bebebisous33 Yeom is part of it. 

For what it's worth I have enjoyed this drama very much, and @titania1000 I would not mind seeing S2. They have a good team here and there are still more things to explore storywise. One of the things I like about this drama is the constant trust and distrust among them - TJ vs DCK for example...gosh there were moments I wanted to strangle her as much as she was my girl crush in early episodes. Every time she decides to go over the other side of the fence to dig for information, upsetting DCK's plans,  I rolled my eyes.  I have to say DCK is a very cool cop and I just love how HSK brought his character to life. He ( DCK ) is a chameleon in some respects ; TJ hit the nail on the head when she told him that  he becomes bad to those who are bad , and is kind to those who are such. 

Just a final note about YG...SKJ did a real good job playing him here. But @Ameera Ali  YG needs  SY by his side for sure - the fella is heart first , head later kind of guy.(talk about impulsive!) . I laughed my head off when he jumped into the pond, swimming pool style. His interactions with SY cracks me up...when she told him he was using the UV torch wrongly, it reminded me of the time she set him free from being hand cuffed in his car :mrgreen:. Jokes aside, YG's story and his relationship with his dad provided me with the emotional hook I needed in the drama. I was happy that at the end YG cleared his dad's name of mum's murder. 

I thought the ending was good. YG got his closure... which is probably the most important thing and we caught a glimpse of the inner workings of the Jang Society. Plus there was also sufficient material left for a second series if they decide to go down that road. I wouldn't mind watching a second series if for no other reason than to see DCG and KYG go head to head at times.

The team has certainly come a long way. They've gone from suspicion and belligerent cooperation to a modicum of reliance and trust. They had to. More importantly they've acted as sounding boards and emotional restraints during trying times.

At the end of the day the real strength of the show lay with the characters and how they gradually went from being a not-team to finding enough common ground to form a team. I've also always liked HSK... since Tree with Deep Roots... and I learned to appreciate his laid back portrayal of DCG which masked a razor sharp acumen. People underestimate DCG because they think he is this weird unpredictable loner that manages to offend all the wrong people. I don't doubt that he's a zealot at heart and he has crossed the line but haven't they all to some degree or another. The difference IMO is that he is actually smart about it and manages to minimize the damage. That's not to say there's no damage but at least he's much more of a big picture person and won't let innocent bystanders get hurt. He still has a functioning conscience and attempts to work within the laws when he has to. I also think however that one of the reasons why he crosses the line from time to time is because he feels like David fighting Goliath except that he doesn't think God is on his side. Hence the sleight of hand. 

This isn't a perfect world that these men and women inhabit and I accept that and the certain amount of latitude that was taken considering the web of intrigue involved. But laws are created for a reason even if they aren't always properly enforced. For me what made the "good" guys "better" or not as bad as the "bad" guys was a certain level of self-awareness re: the line that must not be crossed.

I think YG was a lot kinder to JHR and his family than he had experienced himself. Honestly he's done extremely well considering what he had to go through without parents. Someone did right by him. He certainly received paternal and maternal mentoring from DCG and HTJ who watched over him to protect his conscience/integrity. There's also JSY who kept a sharp eye on him and out of trouble. So yeah... he found his makeshift family, united them as he dug around about his biological one.

As for HTJ she came good in the end, knowing that her recklessness had left a trail of hurt. On hindsight I think she had to come face to face with Turtle V.3 (or whatever number he was) to end her journey with the past.

Cheers to the actors for making this show worthwhile for me. In the end it was a fairly simple story but the actors sucked me in, fleshed out the characters and gave the show the right amount of emotional punches in the right places.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Cheers to the actors for making this show worthwhile for me. In the end it was a fairly simple story but the actors sucked me in, fleshed out the characters and gave the show the right amount of emotional punches in the right places.

Totally agreed. Their excellent acting performance and the thriller storyline really hook us in...

About the lead actor and lead actress (DCG and HTJ), I never watched their previous projects, but I thought they really portrayed well in their roles, especially the lead actor (DCG), although not tall and handsome, he has a charming look, his "cool" face and his speaking tone are one of A kind : unique - slow and steady win the game :D. His teammate KYG, young and impulsive but can match well with JSY, I found it funny when both were in the car, their interactive was really funny, he asked for key but she thought his injured hand was still in pain and wanted to rub for him, but wrong channel :lol::w00t:.

DCG made a deal with Yeom privately because he wanted to continue chase after the higher up. He knows very well that it can't end here after PJW has died and JHR put in jail. He is really a smart guy. With the combination of the two brains and the two energetic young people, we shall see more thrilling crime cases to be solved in S2...

Life is not black and white; there is some gray nuance to it, because we are imperfection and that's why we constantly need someone to watch or remind us what we do and say. I really love this drama with a punch title called "WATCHER" and their OST songs :wub:

Can anyone share with me here the background music without artist singing that come with drum beat sound...., thanks in advance:wub:

Staff Of “Watcher” Responds To Reports Regarding 2nd Season

Aug 27, 2019
by S. Park
adae287d933e4360965e12128178083d.jpeg?s=

Will “Watcher” return for another season?

On August 26, a source from the OCN series responded to reports about a second season. A staff member told TV Report, “It’s not the time to be discussing or deciding on season two. All of the actors and staff are currently enjoying the afterglow of the conclusion of ‘Watcher.'”

“Watcher” aired its final episode on August 25. The investigation team made up of Do Chi Kwang (played by Han Suk Kyu), Kim Young Goon (played by Seo Kang Joon), and Han Tae Joo (played by Kim Hyun Joo) succeeded at uncovering the truth behind group “Jang Society.” Even during the final episode, the drama showed that the evil acts of “Jang Society” and “Turtle” continued.

The reunion of the investigation team marked a meaningful end to the series. Many viewers praised the perfect ending and voiced their hopes for a second season.

In response, a source from the drama explained, “‘Watcher’ was a challenge of creating a new story, and not a refreshing story that encouraged good and punished evil where good and evil are clearly defined.”

They continued, “Instead of the perfect conflict of good and evil and who’s watching and being watched, we were able to show various facets of human beings thanks to writer Han Sang Woon, who perfectly showed justice, choice, and growth until the ending; the sentimental, detailed directing of director Ahn Gil Ho; and the actors who expressed all of this.”

The source added, “Thank you to viewers who stuck with our drama until the end, which raised many unfamiliar questions and several interpretations.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1348289wpp/staff-of-watcher-responds-to-reports-regarding-2nd-season

From the article, they did not say it won`t be a second season. As I said, It is OK, either way. I don`t like the season concept in kdramas but at least this drama had a good ending on its own. They did not let the story unfinished. I wish to see the team again, just like in Signal or Forest of secrets

What I hate is when a show it supposed to be in multiple seasons but they forgot about it. Like OCN Special Affairs Team TEN . Frustrating.

@triplem I agree with you that SKJ did a really good job in his role. I’ve been impressed by him throughout, but he totally won me over in episode 15 where he, JHR and DCK all drew guns at each other upon learning that JHR was the culprit responsible for his parents’ tragedies. SKJ nailed the rush of emotions to instinctively shoot/kill JHR to avenge his wronged parents once and for all, but then let go of those emotions when DCK got him to understand that his parents’ wouldn’t have wanted him to take this path and that they’ll find “the right way” to punish JHR. Perhaps this is another reason why I’m rooting for a season 2. I’d love to see SKJ reprise his role. Now that KYG has somewhat found closure about his past and parents, I feel that there could be a more level-headed and mature KYG. I think he could offer so much more as a police officer from his experience/growth in season 1. But either way, I too was happy that KYG was able to clear his father's name in his mother's murder. I bet his parents are proud of him and can finally RIP.

Since no one has yet brought it up, I will pose the question then...

When JHR was at the fishing farm killing DC Park, he was wearing gloves, which he took off in his car... so how can the fluorescent stuff get on his hand and all over his house? Any thoughts about this? 

I still haven't watched the last two episodes.  

Although others disagreed with me, I see YG's actions toward the daughters as menacing.  Certainly that is how the daughters would come to see it later on when they remember.  I found his actions offensive, especially given his own past.

Given what I've read of the ending, I am disappointed that the evil continues.  I don't think that necessarily indicates or warrants a second season.  Would I watch it if there were a second season?  I don't know. 

Will I watch the last two episodes?  Not now.  Maybe not for a long time.  Not even for Our Bodyguard.

13 hours ago, thistle said:

I still haven't watched the last two episodes.  

Although others disagreed with me, I see YG's actions toward the daughters as menacing.  Certainly that is how the daughters would come to see it later on when they remember.  I found his actions offensive, especially given his own past.

Given what I've read of the ending, I am disappointed that the evil continues.  I don't think that necessarily indicates or warrants a second season.  Would I watch it if there were a second season?  I don't know. 

Will I watch the last two episodes?  Not now.  Maybe not for a long time.  Not even for Our Bodyguard.

I think you should watch the last two episodes. (I don't usually tell people this by the way) It might surprise you. I don't know if it would redeem YG in your eyes but I think it would help you see another side to all of this.

I personally think he's a much better person than I would be in such a situation. His actions in these last two episodes are some of the highlights of these last two episodes. And because of the little girl, he is far kinder to JHR than most of us are humanly capable of being.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, Anh said:

@ktcjdrama

Because in order to take it off, he had to touch the gloves. ^_^

That's how he had fluorescent on his hands and then it got on anything that he touched afterward.

Actually there is a way to take off gloves without touching the dirty part, like after we ate fried chicken/seafood ;) But you're right in that he held his gloves tight when shoving them to the plastic bag before discarding it. Also I just realized it was mentioned in the shack among our trio detectives that even when one wears gloves, the stain will stay on the person. 

Any kind soul can help me answer these burning questions? 

- who cut the thumbs of HTJ and her husband? It was mentioned that Kim Gang Wook cannot be the one because he was a high school student 15 yrs ago right? 

- who killed KJM and why? 

- who cut ex-cop Park's thumb and why? 

- who cut the thumbs of the gangsters whose corpses were found in eco park? 

I have watched all episodes but couldn't find these answers. T__T Did I miss smth? 

Thanks in advance for answering 

Archived