[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

Thanks for recap @triplem :kiss_wink:

That 3-way gun pointing reminds me of another drama... but I can’t remember what drama :sweat_smile:

I hope that we’ll get an explanation why TJ offered Turtle to cut the other thumb of her husband.... I find that part strange. No wonder she felt bad/guilty when seeing him again and tried to hide her thumb behind her. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I hope that we’ll get an explanation why TJ offered Turtle to cut the other thumb of her husband.... I find that part strange. No wonder she felt bad/guilty when seeing him again and tried to hide her thumb behind her.  

At that moment, each of them had already got their thumb cut off.  The turtle (#2 turtle) already knew he could get what he wanted but chose to mock her making her to choose whose thumb should be cut next.  With that split of a second, out of selfishness and fear, she chose her ex thumb instead of her own.  This ordeal was a self revelation of her own true ugliness.  Although full of guilt, she just couldn't face herself or her then husband, perhaps she didn't even apologize to him.  Instead she chose to pursue with revenge believing once she catches the thumb cutter everything could end and she could move forward with her life.  

Her ex mirrors her in a way.  He, too, chose to hide his feelings as if nothing was wrong, but clearly he failed miserably and could only hide his feelings (sense of betrayal) through drugs.  He dug deeper and deeper into this hole and at the end he too chose revenge.

7 minutes ago, Michelle Gonzalez said:

Question why he kill her.  Why he was in love with her or yg is the son. That she didnt tell her. What is the truth why he kill her. Also jang since the beginning wanted yt? Be on his size why. The last two episode

I think that the reason Jang killed YG's mom was because she caught him in the apartment when he went to plant evidence on YG's dad.  Or maybe Jang was there to kill YG's dad.  YG's mom probably got in Jang's way because she was trying to keep him away from YG so that her son would be safe.

It's too late for there to be a storyline about Jang messing with YG's mom.  Despite the fact that YG's mom and dad had been arguing, it's obvious that they were still in love because of the anniversary rings that YG's dad had bought for her.

A lot of evidence has been piling up about Jang since the beginning.  He has always been a sketchy and untrustworthy character.  Now we are coming full circle, and we will see what his intentions are.

2 hours ago, thistle said:

I think that the reason Jang killed YG's mom was because she caught him in the apartment when he went to plant evidence on YG's dad.  Or maybe Jang was there to kill YG's dad.  YG's mom probably got in Jang's way because she was trying to keep him away from YG so that her son would be safe.

It's too late for there to be a storyline about Jang messing with YG's mom.  Despite the fact that YG's mom and dad had been arguing, it's obvious that they were still in love because of the anniversary rings that YG's dad had bought for her.

A lot of evidence has been piling up about Jang since the beginning.  He has always been a sketchy and untrustworthy character.  Now we are coming full circle, and we will see what his intentions are.

I think Jang blamed Kim Jae Myung for his daughter's ordeal.  If it weren't for Jae Myung's trick of disarming criminals (that is, to break their fingers), the criminal wouldn't robbed his place and harm his daughter the way he did (cutting her finger).  I think Jang came to Kim Jae Myung's place that night with the intention to hurt Kim Young Geun.  Young Geun's mother tried to protect him and since Jang had killed Jae Myung's wife he decided to let Young Geun live.

Jang's daughter's ordeal is what caused the birth of the turtle.  He then trained his own team members to be like him.  This all seems to fall into place.  However, I need a little help to stitch the rest of puzzle together.   What connection(s) do the turtles have with Jang Society?  Are the turtles the Jang Society (established by Jang Hae Ryuong) the elite policemen?  What about the bribery ledger?  I couldn't remember who started to record the ledger.  What is the purpose of the ledger?  Is it to keep the police force, prosecutors and higer-up politicians keep a blind eye to this Jang Society?

Speaking of character development, Han Tae Joo seems to have woken up from her vengeful self.  She finally snaps  out of it and takes courage to face the consequence of what she did in the past.  Realizing her selfish way (of offering her ex finger to be cut instead of hers and later of getting revenge) did nothing good but to hurt all the people around her.  She sees DCK and KYG are on the verge of walking her old path.  She wants to repent and tries to pull them from falling down this rabbit hole.

I think DCK knows too well that whatever he did recently (i.e. fabricating evidence against Park and Yoon) it will get back at him and i think he accepts this.  He made a conscious decision that he will do whatever it takes to reveal this hideous corruption.

As for Young Geun, I think he will be the only main character who can pull himself out from going down to the dark path.  I think both DCK and HTJ will be on his side all the way.

1 hour ago, my0t1 said:

Jang's daughter's ordeal is what caused the birth of the turtle.  He then trained his own team members to be like him.  This all seems to fall into place.  However, I need a little help to stitch the rest of puzzle together.   What connection(s) do the turtles have with Jang Society?  Are the turtles the Jang Society (established by Jang Hae Ryuong) the elite policemen?  What about the bribery ledger?  I couldn't remember who started to record the ledger.  What is the purpose of the ledger?  Is it to keep the police force, prosecutors and higer-up politicians keep a blind eye to this Jang Society?

I hv yet to watch with subs . But I can answer regarding the ledger . This was started by the previous Muil group Strategic Leader ( who went missing ) . The current one is the ex cop Park who is in jail . He told this to TJ a couple of episodes back . So they keep the ledger to keep track of which cop/ law enforcer they need to deal with . Jang Society ( which is actually better translated as Warriors Club, according to ktcjdrama using Chinese subs ) want the ledger as well so that they can find out who are the corrupted cops as Jang Society themselves are trying to find out how far the money goes . 

Hmmm at this point , I don’t think Jang HR is the founder of this society . He too is one of the members & he execute things for them - training people like Turtle 1 & 2 . DC  Park may have recruited him- according to Park , no one knows  how extensive Jang Society is as you will only know your nominee ( I think he means the person who recruited you ) . This is quite a common modus operandi for groups like that so that if one member gets exposed, the rest of the organisation are still protected  

@Ameera Ali do you hv a gif of the handshake . That was hilarious! 

@Ameera Ali do you hv a gif of the handshake . That was hilarious! 

Yes , my phone all his gifs at weekend :mrgreen::yum: I admire your recapping for us , I couldn’t do it , they are so funny to type any thing :kiss_wink:

5d59e5bea7fca935987113.gif?download

5d59e58607cb6556275775.gif?download

* so cute they have the same sense of style, clothes wise :sweat_smile:

6 hours ago, my0t1 said:

At that moment, each of them had already got their thumb cut off.  The turtle (#2 turtle) already knew he could get what he wanted but chose to mock her making her to choose whose thumb should be cut next.  With that split of a second, out of selfishness and fear, she chose her ex thumb instead of her own.  This ordeal was a self revelation of her own true ugliness.  Although full of guilt, she just couldn't face herself or her then husband, perhaps she didn't even apologize to him.  Instead she chose to pursue with revenge believing once she catches the thumb cutter everything could end and she could move forward with her life.  

I understood what happened. Just still find it strange that for a prosecutor like her, instead of negotiating with Turtle, eg.offering better compensation, to prevent further harm done to anyone at all, she obediently made a choice as instructed by him. Selfishness? I somehow still don't think she is that selfish to the point of sacrificing other people. In fact, I thought she became so unfeeling like what we've seen so far because of the ordeal she went through 7 years ago. Of course I could be wrong in that she's always been a nasty selfish person. 

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I understood what happened. Just still find it strange that for a prosecutor like her, instead of negotiating with Turtle, eg.offering better compensation, to prevent further harm done to anyone at all, she obediently made a choice as instructed by him. Selfishness? I somehow still don't think she is that selfish to the point of sacrificing other people. In fact, I thought she became so unfeeling like what we've seen so far because of the ordeal she went through 7 years ago. Of course I could be wrong in that she's always been a nasty selfish person.  

At that moment, I think she was overwhelmed by fear.  I don't think she was at the right mind to calmly negotiate with the perpetrator. 

She describes herself as selfish; that's how she views herself.  In that incident, I personally don't think it's totally her fault offering her husband's thumb over hers.  She was in extreme fear; when a person is in fear, there are only two reactions: flight or fight.  She chose the former.  I believe she couldn't accept what she chose afterwards.  She always believed she's a righteous person, and i think she is, since she's still thinking of her first case, that she wanted to find out the small amount of saliva and blood did in fact belong to Kim Jae Myung just to 100% prove she got the right person in jail and exclude all doubts that still lingered in her mind.  She could not believe she made that decision hurting her husband, could not accept she has this ugly side of her, and so she could not face herself; so she chose to suppress this guilt and converted it to anger which allowed her to go on with only one objective, that is, to seek revenge.  In the path of vengeance, she chose to ignore the people around her.  She manipulated her ways to get close to the killer sometimes even at the expense of others.  She deliberately made these decisions and that's why she believes she has been selfish coz she knows she could be a better person.  Unlike her ex-husband, she does have a line that she never crosses.  In the first case, we could see she had no compassion towards the kidnapper, but she did what she could to find the missing child.  She manipulated bad people and made sure they get what they deserve (i.e making sure the organ lady going to jail).

This is why I think the character Han Tae Joo is quite realistic.  Good people make wrong decisions.  It is really up to every one of us to realize them, own our mistakes, and face the consequences and try to correct them.

[EDIT] Our ability to make conscious decisions and amend our mistakes are what make us human. If we suppress them, we start to lose humanity. 

Oooh... oooh... a Mexican standoff +1... Pity we'll have to wait till next week to see what comes of it.

Yay... ecstatic that DCG is confirmed NOT to be Mum's killer but I'm still baffled that she was killed. Was it because of Kim Jae Myung? Answers next week, I hope. Of course DCG knew who the original Turtle was after dragging the truth out of the ex deputy commissioner... that's why he was stringing JRH along for the ride as a kind of penance. But more importantly he wanted to protect YG from going completely ballistic like he did last time. Boo hiss to the show though... leading us by the nose, up the garden path, beating around bushes and then in circles... where we finally get to this point. I know, I know... whodunit isn't the main thing but why make it sound like it is?

The main thing is that question: What does it mean to be human? And the question that accompanies it goes like this: Who gets to decide? Apparently it's JHR aka Turtle who decides who's a scumbag because he's a dad who is suffering great guilt for not being able to protect his own child. But what he's done goes way beyond "an eye for an eye, a tooth for tooth". If retribution was all it was, it would have ended with the robber. However, things escalated way beyond that. Not being caught and then aided and abetted by a police cabal gave him greater justification to go on a murderous rampage.

In the story's unfolding that ontological question riddled with irony ends up being some kind of justification for continued resentment and blood lust.

Everyone's mad for revenge. Of course they are... as long as justice isn't done, perpetrators aren't caught, people are angry and can't move on. When the system breaks down and there's no forgiveness... revenge is the logical alternative. Sadly it doesn't end there.

What do I make of HTJ's "betrayal" of her husband? It explains a lot. Particularly the braggadocio. A woman who flaunts her sins while harbouring great guilt. It makes a lot of sense. She's a selfish survivor that's dealing with guilt the best way she knows how to. How could she have betrayed her husband like this? But why not? She's only human after all. In terror of the pain... bleeding profusely with no idea if help was on the way.  She broke. This is why torture works because people break. If you've never read The Gulag Archipelago you should because you will not cease to be amazed by the terrible things human beings come up with to hurt each other. (And it gives great insight into how Stalin's Soviet Union was run)

That's what DCG probably meant when he confronted the ex-deputy commissioner. There are no small sacrifices/ collateral damage. Even if they start off with good intentions and the friendly fire seems small, they tend to get bigger. From HTJ and YYH who were bystanders... things became really really big. There were enormous repercussions from that event as there were from mother's death. It became a domino effect of soap opera proportions.

The justice system is undoubtedly flawed. But when the so-called good guys turn into bad guys, where 's the end to all that. Where can the weak, vulnerable, defenceless turn to?

The thing is that Turtle 2 (Chan Hee) was addicted and we heard that people from the Jang society like the district prosecutor were drug-addicts. In my opinion, the addiction is important as it was a way to control and manipulate them. Especially Chan Hee shows symptoms of brainwashing.

However, it doesn't look like it is the case for JHR as he is the one who started this. There is one common denominator between HTJ, her ex-husband Yoon and even JHR: their hatred and their guilt. Yet all of them blamed the wrong person in reality. Yoon blamed his wife (not just for choosing herself over him) because she tried to rectify a verdict and dug in a case. JHR blamed KMJ for the robbery and the pain suffered by his daughter. If KMJ hadn't taught them about the thumb, they wouldn't have hurt the criminal's fingers. HTJ blamed the turtle for this terrible experience. HTJ felt guilty because she didn't protect her husband, JHR felt the same because he wasn't there, when the robbery happened and Yoon blamed himself because he wasn't even able to protect his wife too. 

Remember that in the first case, a child was abducted in order to trap the father who had committed crimes. So their method was to use crimes in order to catch the bad guys so that they end up in jail. The end justifies the means, yet the problem was that the detective Jang (the one who was killed) must have noticed changes and was killed. Now, here is the question: why did JHR kill KYG's mother? One possibility is that JHR wanted to hurt KYG but his wife prevented it therefore she got killed. Another is that he wanted to get rid of KMJ but since he had left the house in a hurry in order to meet the other detective Jang who got killed... From my point of view, the creator's identity of Jang society is not solved. JHR is the one who recruted and trained the turtles but from my point of view, there could be someone else besides JHR.    

2 hours ago, titania1000 said:

Precious babies who deserve all the love! 

Wonder if we can get English subs on this. They seemed to have so much fun, really want to understand what they are talking about. 

I have to say that beating up the criminal until he has to be hospitalized was not right which pushed the criminal to get revenge. That's why the house of officers were robbed. JHR blamed KMJ for the incident with his daughter but in reality, he was as much responsible as all the others in this violent incident. All this proves that police are not allowed to use extreme violence (the end justifies the means) because the result will be that the criminals will do the same as well. A vicious circle with no end. The boundaries between good and bad are no longer visible.

JHR might have justified this in the name of justice, yet he turned his officers (turtles) into violent machines. They let them become drug addicts. They became even worse than the criminals that they were chasing. HTJ's marriage and KYG's family were destroyed. Deputy commissioner Park even risked the life of many people and he didn't feel any remorse. 

As for Yeom, I am now wondering if her real purpose was not to get rid of the Jang society, while she is in reality a corrupted cop, although she doesn't appear in the ledger. Notice that she allows now DCK to destroy the Jang society. The latter needed the ledger in order to purge the prosecution and the police office.  

Although no one seems to have addressed this yet, I will.  I was very disturbed by the manner in which YG approached Jang's daughters.

He may not mean to harm them at all but in fact they are being harmed because he is using them to get to their father.  They are being harmed because he is showing them that the police cannot be trusted.  They are being harmed because he is using his good looks and his deceptive actions to get what he wants without considering what his actions will mean long term. 

He menaced both of those girls.  The older one seemed to have a little awareness of it (when she spoke about how his eyes looked odd) but the younger one hasn't realized it yet.  When each of them becomes aware, that's when the deep damage happens--that's when they stop trusting any policeman, any man in power, any man who might be handsome, any man who tries to gain their trust, any man who asks them for information.

Jang is responsible for the wrong that he has done, and he will have to pay for it.  His daughters will inevitably suffer as a result because they will never be able to walk away from being labeled as the daughters of a criminal, of a murderer.  While that is certainly a social injustice to them, that appears to be the way these things work in Korea because the extended family is held morally responsible for the actions of other family members.

YG knows exactly what it feels like to be judged in this way.  YG knows exactly what it feels like to be a witness to a crime.  YG knows what it takes to overcome distrust and try to forge a life of his own despite this.

No matter how enraged he is, there is NO excuse for him to involve Jang's daughters.  If anyone is aware of this, it should be YG.   

I was thoroughly put off by his behavior in episode 14.   Contrast his behavior here with the way he treated the little girl who believed that "he was a policeman who could be trusted" in episode 1.  He has changed completely.  And he is no longer worthy of either trust or respect.

Somebody needs to rescue YG and help him get his actions under control.

Am I angry at him?  Yes.  Very.

Archived