[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

17 hours ago, sheelatpsfm said:

When YG open the fridge after coming back home from hospital, he saw the food left by his dad.. soo sad... 

oh ... this reminds me of what my first reaction is when watching this scene.  Remember KJM took out a small item from the box and he took it and placed it into his pocket quickly without letting the taxi driver saw what it was.  He kept this item in his hand when he was being searched by DCK.  Could it be a key to a safe where the ledger is kept?  If so, could this key is hidden in the steamed egg?

After typing all my thoughts out, I don't think so anymore .... :sweat_smile: The zooming into the steamed egg dish is probably just to emphasize how much KYG misses his dad (and his mom).  After all, KJM just told him how he taught his mom make this dish.  Poor YG!

16 hours ago, Anh said:

I saw there are theories of why DCG put KJM's jacket in the washing machine. My theory is a bit different that DCG trusted KJM till the end (as he always emphasizes) and that he was trying to protect KJM. 

So it began like this, KJM lost his jacket somewhere he didn't remember. The culprit wore his jacket to his house, killed his wife and left it at the scene to frame him. YG saw that and thought it was his dad because of the jacket. DCG phoned in and it was the culprit who picked up the phone. DCG came into the house seeing YG's mom was dead. He saw the jacket and knew it was KJM's ( if you watched closely that part, in a slit second DCG kinda startled when he saw something). Since he thought KJM was in the house just minutes ago (because of the phone call) and there was the jacket, he was certain that KJM was the murderer . However, he still tried to help him by hiding the evidence because it's perfectly normal for a piece of clothes of the owner of the house being in the washing machine. Maybe he didn't know there was bloodstain on it. This explained why he repeatedly said that he trusted KJM till the end. KJM was his favourite sunbae after all. Since the incidence once again proved that KJM betrayed his trust, he was left wrecked and since then he wowed to be objective and became an inspector who doesn't

believe in emotions ( I'm so soft at his bright smile in the pic of 5. He looked genuinely happy back then and now the smile is gone). Mr Han''s acting in ep8 is mind-blowing.

That being said, I believe DCG is clean. He's all secretive and calculative now because of the trauma in the past, not because he has some dirt to hide.

Your theory sound flawless.  The sequence of events match the timeline perfectly.  Please do continue to post your thoughts. :smirk:

There are something that I don't really understand in episode 8.  When HTJ and KYG went to the deserted building to meet Park Si Young.  PSY mentioned the man he dealt with is a "complete lunatic" and he "hides his true self perfectly" and PSY claims he does not even know who he is.  Yet at the end, when KYG asked him who he is talking about, PSY said it's KYG's father.  This is very confusing.  Didn't he just admitted he had no idea who this "lunatic" is?  Then why he said it's KJM?  :confused:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @my0t1

5 hours ago, my0t1 said:

There are something that I don't really understand in episode 8.  When HTJ and KYG went to the deserted building to meet Park Si Young.  PSY mentioned the man he dealt with is a "complete lunatic" and he "hides his true self perfectly" and PSY claims he does not even know who he is.  Yet at the end, when KYG asked him who he is talking about, PSY said it's KYG's father.  This is very confusing.  Didn't he just admitted he had no idea who this "lunatic" is?  Then why he said it's KJM? 

I think there are some confusions with the Eng subs ( depending on which one that you watched with) 

PSY said that something like the man is a complete lunatic, he'll take care of all the people who get in his way and plan something new. Then YG asked who are those that he (that man) is supposed to take care of. PSY answered " your father". It means that his father was in danger. That's why GY left the place right away and asked Ms Jo to send a patrol to his apartment.

So the whole conversation gives GY the impression that his father is not the mastermind but someone else is. It makes me think that the real culprit must plan ahead the murder of KJM. Could it be DC Park? Unlikely because he needs to get his hands on that ledger first.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:39 AM, bebebisous33 said:

@my0t1 I really enjoyed reading your post because you summarized the ideas I had developed before pretty well. I would like to add something about Yeom. Remember that she was not happy that YG would join the team, once she discovered his identity. However, after meeting him, she was fine... maybe she was afraid that YG would recognize her, if she was the culprit.

Furthermore, I also wanted to point out the huge time gap. DCK had always thought that HJM was the killer because he had imagined he was talking to him, when he called to the house. Because right after the phone call, he went to the flat and discovered the body of YG's mother hence he thought, she had just been killed by HJM. Since he was so convinced that HJM was the culprit, he might have fabricated the evidence against HJM (putting the jacket of HJM covered in blood by the blood of YG's mother). I guess, DCK was afraid that HJM might get away with the crime hence he did that: he used the jacket as evidence. HJM was indeed convicted due to YG's testimony and the jacket. Remember HTJ's reproach to DCK: "You always think, you do what is right!!" However, due to their confrontation at the basement, DCK realized that actually he was talking to the real culprit and he had never heard HJM's voice. So his mistake was that when he called HJM, he was so prejudiced that he overlooked all the details: hearing no voice at all. All this points out that HJM had already left the house. HJM got aware that DCK had not been corrupted but had been misled/manipulated. I am now curious to know why DCK called HJM and made him say all these things: "people got hurt". Why was he angry? If he was just referring to the missing Jang, he would have mentioned it directly... 

I am wondering if YG has not been manipulated in the past hence his memories are so mixed up.

Thank you for sharing. I like your thoughts on this. wish I could share my thoughts on this. But I’m not there yet. I hope I get there someday. This drama is the perfect drama for me. I get to find all the clues. I still don’t know what is going on. I find the female lawyer very interesting. I don’t remember her name yet. But I will!! Please keep sharing your thoughts!

I am sorry about Kim Jae Myung and even more sorry about Young Goon.

Do Chi-Gwang and Kim Jae Myung were manipulated but I wonder how they did not clarify the information about phone call by now. It was not in the trial?

Deputy Commisioner Park looks suspicious right now, he set up Kim Jae Hyung and Chi Gwang (to talk like he said ?!) and he is desperate to find the ledger but I don`t think he is the cop who cut the thumb. The killer is more athletic but Park could be involved in the corruption 15 years ago. The corruption in the Police cuts deep. He could be the mastermind.

I was looking at the picture with the Anticorruption squad from the past. Someone messed with the team really bad. Two are dead, one is framed with six murders, two are at odds with each other. Even now, that person is one step ahead of them. Who took the picture? Is was Park, their former leader or there is another member of the squad we don`t know about it?

Yeom Dong-Sook is suspisious too. It is something about her that put me on allert. Maybe she is just very ambitious and I don`t trust her at all but I hope my gut feeling is wrong.

I also find the theory that Jo Soo-Yeon could be her spy plausible. Let see if there is a connection between Soo Yeon and comissioner Yeom.

Little by little our team is getting closer to the truth. I can`t wait to watch more episodes.

9 hours ago, titania1000 said:

I don't get how it's possible that the two men never discussed it before: i can imagine that DCK never got the opportunity to interrogate KMJ after his arrest but like you said he should have mentioned the phone call at the trial. It was more evidences against KMJ.

Also KJM said to HTJ that DCK visited him few times in prison (did he mean only the two times that were shown on screen or did it happen more often?), so clearly the two men had opportunities to ask each other all those questions they had in their confrontation of ep8.

I think in real life that was not possible specially since Kim Jae Myung said all the time that he is innocent. At fist, I thought Young-Goon`s father confessed the crime to protect his son but he did not. He was framed and he knew it and said it. I also thought that he said that Chi-Gwang visited him more times in prison. Maybe they did not really talk, like a sincere talk between buddies because their trust in each other was broken, but that little information that was kept by ChiGwang is just the writer `s plot to move thinks forward to the right direction in the present.  Maybe it will be more clear when we find out more information about Chi Gwang. How and why he put the jacket on the washing machine. The circumstances are important for the bigger picture. Then we can explain why he did not say anything about the phone call. 

One thing is sure. The baddie mastermind  knew how to disband the team. Divide and conquer. When you start to mistrust your friends/colleagues, don`t trust anyone anymore.

The new anticorruption team is not strong. Young Goon and Tae Joo are suspecting Chi Gwang. I hope they will talk (even confront each other) and discover new elements/ evidence that will make them trust their leader. If the team is weak, they can`t catch the mastermind.

26 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

I think this new team has potential to not be used like the old one because like it has been well said  before in the thread by @40somethingahjummathey have different methods and style to resolve the crimes: KYG is the action man, JSY is the rational scientific who brings facts and evidences, DCK is the leader who uses his instinct to lead the investigation on the right path and HTJ  has a lot of ressources and can get all the infos from the bad guys because she has their trust.

I agree that they have potential to be a great team but they have to adjust each other and trust each other. Not blindly but there has to be trust. Without trust in each other, they won`t go that far as a team.

Let see what we found out next. :)

Caught up.

The ML is clearly not the murderer, YG is just confused/traumatised and seeing what he wants to see, they're not making it that easy this early on. I don't really like when shows have this storyline of trying to hint at someone being the guilty party when you 99% know it's not them as it destroys the tension/mood for me. There hasn't been enough ambiguity in the main lead for it to work effectively.

Think it's going to be the case but having the same person committing all the acts on the main characters over the years would be a bit underwhelming to me, unless the link between them all is somewhat interesting/complex and not a case of them investigating corrupt cops.

Also hope YG shows some kind of emotion in the next episode - I get that his childhood has led him to be reserved but I just need him to lose his richard simmons and beat people up for a bit. I know it's not that kind of show but they showed in the first episode or two that he was a good fighter so wouldn't mind some action scenes.

18 hours ago, titania1000 said:

he murderer was watching the flat and went in to trap KMJ for the murder of his wife. But then, why not kill him? Because he was a cop?

I think that this is really important question to ask.  My guess would be that the murderer did not kill KMJ because he wanted him to suffer.  And then we have to ask why the murderer thought KMJ should suffer.

I still believe that Yeom could be behind this, especially if she were trying to revenge herself for any ill treatment in the workplace.  When she was a younger cop, the police force would have been much more like a "men's den" and she would have had to fight her way to the top. 

And despite a poster comment about us all being wrong in our theories and about there being a watcher, I also believe that there is someone Watching our team.  In fact, I think that there may be both an evil someone and another someone who could be trying to help set things right.

3 hours ago, titania1000 said:

It means new pics and they show a lot of tension between everyone!

Thanks for all the great pictures!

I hesitate to mention this but where is our lawyer in the fourth picture?  (It's the first spoiler tagged one.)  Those gold things on the wall look suspicious.  Okay, maybe they are just feathers or something but when I saw them, my only thought was that they look precisely like.....well, never mind.  ;)

1 hour ago, thistle said:

I think that this is really important question to ask.  My guess would be that the murderer did not kill KMJ because he wanted him to suffer.  And then we have to ask why the murderer thought KMJ should suffer.

I still believe that Yeom could be behind this, especially if she were trying to revenge herself for any ill treatment in the workplace.  When she was a younger cop, the police force would have been much more like a "men's den" and she would have had to fight her way to the top. 

And despite a poster comment about us all being wrong in our theories and about there being a watcher, I also believe that there is someone Watching our team.  In fact, I think that there may be both an evil someone and another someone who could be trying to help set things right.

When we think ah we know what's going on, suddenly the story goes the other way. The writer is trying to confuse us at first thinking DCK could be a bad cop, then no he is a good cop. Then suddenly, the story is going all around. 

YG having bad thoughts of DCK. I don't know what Lawyer Han thinks of DCK but she doesn't believe him. 

I don't know how they are going to work together if they all don't trust one another.

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

I just finished watching live and she was in someone else's flat: i can't reveal who because it would be too spoilerish.

But it didn't seem tthat the art frame was suspicious though there was clearly something wrong about this place.

I haven't seen the episode yet.  And I really, really, really love spoilers.  In fact, I would rather watch an episode when I have been spoiled.  ;)

But I guess I have to say those gold items reminded me of two things:

Spoiler
  1.  thumb
  2. penis

This made me wonder why a whole bunch of them would be in a frame as art.  I realize that the items are probably feathers but my first impression was that the image was a bit "in your face" and suggestive--like something that would belong to someone who likes to control and threaten.

@thistle Honestly, I had been thinking about that too

Spoiler

thumb = phallus/penis

if this theory is correct (the symbolism behind the thumb), then this leads me to the conclusion that the thumb killer is a 

Spoiler

woman. Because cutting the thumb represents a sort of castration so that they become powerless: loss of manhood. Yes, the thumb killer cut the thumb of a woman, HTJ. However, HTJ thinks like a man due to her cunning strategies and her boldness. She is as strong as a man. She even anticipated an accident. She has no problem to traumatize someone in order to achieve her goal. A woman is supposed to be more sensitive and less ruthless. 

That's why Yeom is a strong suspect because she hasn't a good reputation. She didn't get good grades from HMJ and the latter barely remembered her. 

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why Yeom is a strong suspect because she hasn't a good reputation. She didn't get good grades from HMJ and the latter barely remembered her. 

You have hit the nail on the head about my theory about that "art" and the thumbs.  As far as I can see, the image is inescapable.

I wondered if Yeom might have a very strong anti-male bias, as she certainly  might do if she had to fight her way through an impenetrable hierarchy in a traditionally male line of work. 

2 hours ago, titania1000 said:

It's only me or the way she looks at her thumb is disturbing, almost scary?

It's not just you.  She looks at her thumb in a way that is almost sexual.  It's like it gives her a sense of pleasure or power or both.  And it seems like she is celebrating it with that ring, as well as disguising it.  I'm still not sure that our lawyer is all good.

Thanks for the spoilers! :wub:

LO and I got take out and just finished watching...

Commissioner Yeom's a threatening piece of work! I am still not convinced that she is the killer but @bebebisous33 you have convinced LO. My own reasoning is that in all of the killings a lot of physical strength is required, especially the torture of Dad--and when the killer pointed the gun at KYG it was a man's outline. So I'm still for DC Park. -- I think he has a lot of guilt about Dad's death which is why he helped at the service. I do think that Yeom is on the ledger though and willing to kill for it... weird that she came to a disgraced cop's memorial.

Urgh the shoes :tears:.

Another thought, it wasn't Baek Song Yi's voice that KYG heard but that of another woman. It was used to lure him to the scene as a decoy of some kind... probs to get the investigation team in there to do a thorough scan of the place... And I think that we know for sure that he (and others) are being bugged/watched(hehehe) because of the constant updates being given to JHR. Personally, I still think that JHR is being set up as the fall guy for the higher ups. He is definitely a dirty cop and on the ledger but I don't think he knows who the killer is...

Final thought from LO... HTJ is going to be the most upset person when we find out who the killer is. Since he is on board the Yeom train, he thinks she will be devastated to learn it is her friend who cut off her thumb etc. 

Final thought from me... DCK will end up in jail. He (probably) fabricated evidence that put dad behind bars and helped cover up stuff in the past... perhaps was involved with threatening and beating up witnesses to get confessions... he just thought he was doing his job but...

Anyway. I am really going to miss this show... I'm already afraid that we are getting closer to the ending. 
(see everyone tomorrow!)

1 hour ago, thistle said:

Thanks for the spoilers! :wub:

@thistle I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves spoilers!!! 

3 Crucial Questions That Will Be Answered In The 2nd Half Of “Watcher”

Aug 4, 2019
by L. Kim

d2a81c263e3241f98090a5f016aff4d3.jpeg?s=

Watcher,” will open its second act with suspense!

The OCN weekend drama follows Do Chi Kwang (Han Suk Kyu), Kim Young Goon (Seo Kang Joon), and Han Tae Joo (Kim Hyun Joo) chasing after a mysterious incident. The three of them have a tragic past incident that ties them together, and they team up together to root out corruption in the police force.

With no one to believe and nothing that can be predicted, keen attention is being paid to the second half of the drama, and the production crew pointed out the key points to anticipate as the drama spirals towards the ending.

What is the truth of the scandal from 15 years ago that shook the investigation team?

The tragic event from 15 years ago rocked the lives of Do Chi Kwang, Kim Young Goon, and Han Tae Joo, and the truth of the past that is revealed as they dig deeper into the current case is confusing them. Everyone knew that Kim Jae Myung (Ahn Kil Kang), a corrupt police officer, had been serving 15 years in prison after killing his wife. The case, however, fell into a limbo as even Kim Jae Myung had his thumb cut and was murdered. Han Tae Joo, who was conducting a re-investigation from seven years ago with suspicions over the Kim Jae Myung case, also had her thumb cut by an unidentified man.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1343212wpp/3-crucial-questions-that-will-be-answered-in-the-2nd-half-of-watcher

Archived