[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Skate into Love 冰糖炖雪梨

sugarplum892

9 hours ago, hush puppy said:

It is not easy to know which drama is good to watch.  So takes time for some people (like me e.g.) to discover.  But suddenly there are quite a few good dramas now - and a few good ones coming out soon

Haaa I was comparing it to last year's hit drama Go Go Squid, it's esport (well ok cyberhacking)/romance, similar-ish genre. That one did feature Yang Zi who probably got lots of fans from Ashes of Love in 2018, so I think it make sense. Hope you have fun with this :)

59 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

im still watching this, but I put it on pause for now. the subbers are quick for this one, so I anticipate that buy the weekend, i can binge watch many episodes lol. 

The show will finish airing this week lol so you can pick it up again!

Stuff I forgot to mention before, omg their dorms are so big?! Why are there only three people, I'm used to the idea of four, I guess two exists though they are pretty rare, and there's some older uni with six or eight students but three?? They have a couch, and there's like a little entrance hall way you can dump your things! I suppose two dorm mates for otp each is easier to manage, since the drama seem to at least flesh out all of them somewhat on top of the four love rivals.

Bian Cheng is only first year afaik (he's classmates with Tang Xue in high school), why does he get so many opportunities? I mean I know he's smart and capable, but he got proper reporting gigs in first term? (reporting Li Yubing's ice hockey team) Unless that was a school reporting thing, but then it's bit weird to report on sports team from different university, even if they are pretty good? I sort of handwaved it the first time I saw it, but then in second term, he got to talk to some official people (government?) + club investor? I do like his role in reporting and how the plot uses that to get across some of the messages + plot twists, but I think it would make more sense if he was 2 or 3 years older? 

I really like the dream sequence in this drama, it's pretty artistic and poignant. Oh oh I forgot to mention, apparently sometimes the cinematographer couldn't skate fast enough to follow some of the athletes/actors, so they trained an ex-athlete who liked filming to help them. Did I mention I really like the directing when it comes to the sports scenes, cos I do!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually just started picking it up again hahaha

I'm disliking Bian Cheng. I feel that his reasons for wanting to separate TX and LYB are self serving and don't take TX into account. What relationship does he have with TX that allows him to butt into her life? That guy needs to self isolate because the viruses he's afflicated with are narcissism and delusion. I also dislike how they styled him. What's up with the big round old-fashioned gold frames? Why to top students always look so dorky (and TX's roomie). We don't all look like that...lawd. I feel that ZR and TX...one of the reasons why I like TX is that she reflects on how she could've wronged someone unknowingly---once the other parties tells her. So I'm looking forward to seeing how the cousin relationship is repaired. Honestly, ZR is selling herself short. The two cousins have completely different charms and can coexist comfortably with one another. 

I like how ZYW is softening towards TX. I feel that she's tough and cool, so I really wanted to see more of her besides just moping around with her unrequited feelings for LYB. The guy that likes her is really sweet. Basically, I wanna see the cool captain and not the silent admirer. I like that she doesn't spend too long hung up on her feelings, but it's reasonable that she needs time to get over them. 

I really like seeing the flashbacks to when TX and LYB are children. It's so funny to see the adult actors play their child selves. It's also super cute to see the child actors. Lil LYB is so funny and pouty. 

All of the parents are cute and their motivations are understandable. Well, one parent isn't so cute and that's Yu Yan's mom. I feel the reason why YY is so seemingly innocent is because his mom has basically stripped every bit of him down to just ice skating. I feel sorry for YY because as a result of that conditioning, he seems so fragile mentally and emotionally. 

Someone on Youtube made a comment about how Tang Xue has all the guys an emotional wreck because of her but honestly she's just a decoy because obviously both YY and BC have their own demons they're battling I hope before the show wraps up we see those issues addressed. I need BC to realize his control issues and move on like ZR did because he's too intelligent to be so foolish. I need YY to get professional help because he has a LOT of stuff mentally going on. I feel bad for him. 

I was so happy when ZR had the epiphany that she needed to let go of the childhood hurt and stop being jealous of TX. I always felt she was above those petty games. Though I could see from her POV how TX could've been super annoying to grow up with. :lol: It's not TX's fault but ZR's feelings were valid even if the way she went about them in the beginning was wrong. 

Still loving Wei and her tomboyish-ness. I hope she doesn't end up suddenly liking the friend just bc he likes her but I know it's going there. :rolleyes: I also don't want her liking LYB to come out either. That wouldn't serve any purpose. Just keep the friendships together. 

Only 5 (?) episodes left let's see what happens. 

10 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I'm disliking Bian Cheng. I feel that his reasons for wanting to separate TX and LYB are self serving and don't take TX into account. What relationship does he have with TX that allows him to butt into her life? That guy needs to self isolate because the viruses he's afflicated with are narcissism and delusion. I also dislike how they styled him. What's up with the big round old-fashioned gold frames? Why to top students always look so dorky (and TX's roomie). We don't all look like that...lawd. I feel that ZR and TX...one of the reasons why I like TX is that she reflects on how she could've wronged someone unknowingly---once the other parties tells her. So I'm looking forward to seeing how the cousin relationship is repaired. Honestly, ZR is selling herself short. The two cousins have completely different charms and can coexist comfortably with one another. 

I like how ZYW is softening towards TX. I feel that she's tough and cool, so I really wanted to see more of her besides just moping around with her unrequited feelings for LYB. The guy that likes her is really sweet. Basically, I wanna see the cool captain and not the silent admirer. I like that she doesn't spend too long hung up on her feelings, but it's reasonable that she needs time to get over them. 

I really like seeing the flashbacks to when TX and LYB are children. It's so funny to see the adult actors play their child selves. It's also super cute to see the child actors. Lil LYB is so funny and pouty. 

All of the parents are cute and their motivations are understandable. Well, one parent isn't so cute and that's Yu Yan's mom. I feel the reason why YY is so seemingly innocent is because his mom has basically stripped every bit of him down to just ice skating. I feel sorry for YY because as a result of that conditioning, he seems so fragile mentally and emotionally. 

Hi crackaddict, you just penned  my thoughts - whether it is BC, ZYW or YY.  Oh yes TX and LYB as children are so cute.  TX is so overbearing.  And LYB is so afraid of her.  Just so cute....

7 hours ago, softestfairy said:

Tang Xue's just a decoy because obviously both YY and BC have their own demons they're battling I hope before the show wraps up we see those issues addressed. I need BC to realize his control issues and move on like ZR did because he's too intelligent to be so foolish. I need YY to get professional help because he has a LOT of stuff mentally going on. I feel bad for him. 

I was so happy when ZR had the epiphany that she needed to let go of the childhood hurt and stop being jealous of TX. I always felt she was above those petty games. Though I could see from her POV how TX could've been super annoying to grow up with. :lol: It's not TX's fault but ZR's feelings were valid even if the way she went about them in the beginning was wrong. 

Still loving Wei and her tomboyish-ness. I hope she doesn't end up suddenly liking the friend just bc he likes her but I know it's going there. :rolleyes: I also don't want her liking LYB to come out either. That wouldn't serve any purpose. Just keep the friendships together. 

Only 5 (?) episodes left let's see what happens. 

And softestfairy.   Agree, agree with you

I'm quitting this drama after watching ep 33.  It is so stupid for TX not to tell LYB that she is helping YY.  So very "typical, unneccesary" plot twist, which have ruin many otherwise wonderful dramas. Scriptwriters should think out-of -the box and outgrow this childish, lazy habit

34 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

I'm quitting this drama after watching ep 33.  It is so stupid for TX not to tell LYB that she is helping YY.  So very "typical, unneccesary" plot twist, which have ruin many otherwise wonderful dramas. Scriptwriters should think out-of -the box and outgrow this childish, lazy habit

Same here. So unnecessary. It would  be so much more enjoyable if they follow the book. I still am going to watch for the main leads. Skip all sub plot with the supporting couples.

I finished the drama so spoilers for the rest of the episodes! (or should I put spoiler tags on them?)

On TX's dad, I liked how they resolved it. I still don't really care for TX's dad holding against LYB for lying as a 12 years old, since it's TX's brazen personality that caused it, which dad is partially responsible for. I get he's trying to protect his daughter, but he also lied in the process, so why is it okay for him to lie but not a scared 12 years old? I'm pretty unhappy with the directing + acting when the bomb dropped, and he got very ragey, I thought he was going to physically harm someone. They could have got him angry and still say the same dialogues to be honest, the whole "you are way too old for this, why do you even try" talk was really hurtful and would be enough as a conflict. It'd also make him coming around to being supportive less of a sharp turn and more natural.

On YY's demons, his anxiety seems to manifest kind of like depression? I know anxiety can cause self doubt and make lot of things meaningless, oh well, it's not wrong. I mostly wish it mentions that he also go see a therapist. I'm pretty satisfy that he came out the other side, and I did actually like TX helping him just like he did for her. I think her mum's change was a little too fast and too idealistic. but it's a drama and I'm glad they could come to an understanding after a crisis. I really liked the performance he did at the end showing his journey, even though I don't care for the music, and the light should have been on! But lights off is more dramatic and prettier in drama I guess, and they did fantastic job filming it (angles + lighting).

On the controversial break up, oof, definitely do not like that part. I do appreciate that it was specifically YY's mum asking TX not to say anything, not even to her boyfriend. BUT TX could have a) best case scenario, explain that she won't have lots of time due to a friend but she can't talk about details because of a promise b) or more likely in her case since she's less mature, tell her friends to help collaborate, then maybe her friends could talk her out of it. More importantly, she should have just stopped making promises, hell you could even keep the break up or make it "let's have a break" because LYB would feel neglected, and I would be less angry at her. It'd be a misunderstanding and I'd be unhappy about it but it'd still be better than this.

LYB gave her lots of chances and she did not fess up, she fessed up way too late and trust has been broken, and she was hurt so she ripped off the necklace, excuse me??? She has a short temper and she's been busy and have a lot on her plate, but that's super not okay. I'm very annoyed that even after she calmed down, there's little signs of her feeling sorry/regret. I do like that she made two attempts to talk, but LYB shrugged her off, because he's upset and convinced he's the third wheel. Then she was off to training and completely closed off to the world, which is fine, and it'd give her opportunities to miss him. That didn't really happen, it took YY telling LYB himself to resolve this and LYB had to apologise himself? I don't think people should just casually throw "break up" around, but I do think trust being broken is a valid reason to? I'm really really angry that the narrative doesn't seem to think so? TX never apologise for lying and she hates people lying, what in the world is this? 

You know, I think LYB's injury and juggling training and supporting LYB is enough of a strain and pressure on their relationship, the break up isn't quite necessary, it could have been a big fight. It sucks that she wasn't there to emotionally support him when he initially got injured and was getting hated on by his fans, since by the end of the drama, it feels like she doesn't like him as much? Wu Qian's emotional scenes seems rather flat to be honest, which might have dampen the scenes when she did come back. I'm a little mixed on her decision to delay going on National Team, I suppose it's mean to show that she does care about him a lot, and she's confident that she can get in, but I'm with LYB that there's always that "what if", if she doesn't get in, if he doesn't get better, will she blame him? I think they could have done a sequence where she trains with him, like he did for her initially when encouraging her to try speed skating again, that'll help visualise her decision. 

Bian Cheng getting increasingly obsessed was par for the course, but I also saw that he'd finally do the right thing coming since they left the foreshadowing pretty apparent. I know he feels sorry and all, but I could have done without the shaking hand scene, it's possible to be amicable and still not forgive someone for their terrible behaviour. I actually rather like the glasses on him, but it's mostly that his entire image screams schemer, I just wish they'd make his lips little less dark, I'm sure it's to compliment the look, but it just looked off to me. Zhou Ran repeatedly trying to get him to come around was a nice touch, and she said a lot of things I wish I could say to him, and it's a fantastic opportunity to see how much she grew. One of my favourite scenes of hers was when she heard people making snide comments towards TX and she just casually compliment on the girl's fake bag, A+. ZR and BC both sharing a nice quirk was great, even if I wish they just end up focusing on their own goals instead of being sort of paired.

I really liked that Xia Menghuan finally talked to Liao Zhenyu about him revolving his life around her, supportive relationship where you grow together is always ace, and I'm happy I see the result of their growth and all. I actually rather like the hilarious scene where Ye Liuying (TX's nerdy roommate) argue online against all these people slamming LYB, keyboard used as Guqing/Guzheng is incredible. I liked everyone coming together to help LYB pay off fines, but it also feel like an ad for actual merchandise the drama team might sell? I find it hilarious, but I get why some find it cringey, because it's very drama-y, honestly LYB can have a massive apartment by the sea, he can pay the fines = = Everyone was predictably paired off, and ahhh why can't some people just stay what if or just single. The timeline was extremely messed up though, why was Ye Liuying a teacher, and Zhou Ran + Bian Cheng talking about going to UK for university, they are in their third year? I only just started the novel, but I feel that they shorten the timeline and messed up the time to match 2022 winter olympics? They really could have just set the time bit further back and it would be less ???? By the otp's ID cards, they should be 1999 babies, so I'm guessing the novel started in 2018, it's ok to set it in 2018!

I like the match opening performance, but I was mildly confused for awhile, Perfect World did you do it yourself? XD (the production company's parent company is a game company) I was expecting a proper match though! Due to how they arranged the arcs, it feels like the last few episodes were more about LYB's career, which is fine and all since I really like him. But I guess I expected more about TX's speed skating at the end? I complained about the balance of sport + relationship, and I think they managed to make it more sport-y in last 10 episodes, but I'm still feel like they could have had more sports? LOL As a non-sports fan, I know they are afraid that too much sports would chase people off, but they could still have explained some basic rules of ice hockey and moves during matches. Throughout the drama, I think I saw grand total of like three matches? They are generally used for narrative reasons, and even then they are like highlight of a match, which is all I ask for. Instead you usually get like a minute of hockey and that's it. Similar with figure skating, I know YY is second lead, and tbh fair amount of issues with the limited figure skating scenes they did have, but it just would have been a great opportunity to introduce general audience yknow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, tdci said:

Ep. 26 is fantastic with the victory kiss. I read the novel and did not notice much but the drama brings out this scene perfectly. Love the main couple. 

You read the book too? It's really good! Humorous and full of heart warming love. I searched the drama after finishing the book for the third time.  

There are differences between drama and the book, I must say. Cramping 106 chapters into 40 episodes can be tough. I personally liked the LYB and TX in the book better. 

The way Yu Bing showed his love for Tang Xue was less ostentatious and more private in the book but it was equally great. The kisses were shared between the two in private moments, not publicly, but very frequent. He loved smooching her and doing little bites on her lips. He paid for her first three months of lessons at speed skating because she failed to impress the coach but he believed in her ability. They had dinner and studied together every night, the latter even when he was in Haerbin training via the phone. He taught her maths. They can communicate via their eyes, without talking, like whenever BC bugged TX ( in the book ) LYB would know exactly what TX wanted him to do without her even saying a word. And that was when they were not going out yet. LYB beats himself up every time he thinks about the 6 years he missed of her life. He was also very jealous and kept shooing other 'bees' away from the flower and emphasized: I met her first!' I love their inner thoughts about each other. 

Of course, the drama was all about teenage and young innocent love. The book had a more adult side to the love. :wub: Can't share it here because some of you might be too young! :rolleyes:

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Skate into Love 冰糖炖雪梨
  • 2 months later...

Whats up with the forums? ... but was estatic when the mainland china drama forum is uneffected, hence for me to write this comment.

Just finish the drama this morning and yes, the last breakup was unnecessary; there were issues of BB being harrassed by TX when they were in primary school (and how come in a few scenes, the adult BB and TX were together in the school was beyond me, i thought both left before they reach adulthood?)... and the Mr Tang did not know his daughter was harassing BB then?

Saying breakup after promising not to take relationship so lightly is soo.. typical, and real life - teenagers love cycle:lol:

I tot the actor who played BB has a deep voice while the actress who acted as TX is cute. I havent had the chance to read up of the actors but will do so after this.

Im guilty of forwarding the scenes, and i only wanted to watch BB's and TX's:D and end the drama early. I mean, that phsyco Bien Cheng and ... sad Yan Yan...ish... 

Oh, and... how rich is BB's family. His family apartment is hugeeee:lol:

Archived