Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

11 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Sometimes, this kind of era (historical) dramas limits the romance between leads since we have to think during this era, romance wasn’t explicitly shown. But even so, i hope we get more in future episodes. The love story between ND and DJ is so endearing that I cannot just simply accept intense love stares and erotic bandaging without some hugging and kisses :P

I'm sure we'll get there! Someone posted that in the webtoon the two of them go way beyond just kisses and hugs and who knows what will happen here (although i recognise KSH still has a rather strong child actress image and it is a sageuk) I'm quite satisfied with today's 'cuddling' in bed scene and the return of the bickering. Don't forget they started sleeping together since ep 1 in the prison - I'm sure this is going to be recurring theme :P 

Also I think in her characterisation, DJ shouldn't be the type to question NokDu's motives if YM tries to deceive her since she's known him over a period of time now. I know at the start she had her suspicions when vice curator told her about a man who sneaked into the widow village - but I didn't see it as her believing he was actually evil, more of worried in general of being found out and those consequences.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, elan1 said:

I’m getting a nosebleed, there’s some red stain marks on my assignment... :cry::sweat_smile:

I could help you  :joy: , I am scared you will scratch my hand like this girl trying to do :D

download

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Oh wow... HAHA.. wasn't able to live stream with you guys since I'm at work now. But thank you, chingus, for all the gifs and spoilers :kiss_wink:.

Gawd, we only got intense/exotic teasings this episode and no action yet? :D Well, at least there was a "bed" scene ^_^. 7 episodes more to go and I hope the romance picks up sooner next week. I just read the recap and cannot wait to watch it subbed ^^.

Now that episode 9 just aired, I already feel the long week waiting for Monday again.. AAAHHH.. this frustrates me :joy:. I wish TTON is airing every day :sweatingbullets:.

And now I can't concentrate on my work. TTON has literally taken over my life now :joy:...

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

@lightbringer06 the love was in the air today , everyone save someone :joy: but best was 2 boyfriend trying to save their girlfriend :joy:

download

# you can’t touch my girlfriend hand :D

download

# you can’t die darling, I am gonna save you :D

• LOL 19
  • Love 1

I wonder who the old couple was that recognized Dongju seems like the old lady knew DJ's mother

about the previous episode, It seems like YM is being possessive of DJ when he ordered DO to bring DJ to him and if she protest he has to bring her to him by force... what does he want to do exactly, does he want her to stay with him even if it is forced??

And also in this episode one of the guys in the meeting with YM is the bodyguard/ assistant of HY right or do they just really look alike?? if he is who i think he is does that mean he is against HY or is he just playing along so he can report to HY..

• Like 11
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, soesje said:

I wonder who the old couple was that recognized Dongju seems like the old lady knew DJ's mother

From what I understood, I think they used to be servants under DongJu's family. I think they addressed her as agasshi and said her face looked like what the child EunSeo looked like, and that she was about the right age if EunSeo grew up. I think although it's slower than NokDu's,  we are getting more of DongJu's backstory and we will see it weave into the whole palace politics soon. We already know her grandfather was highranking, so there might be more to this palace battle. Who will be the first to call her real name?

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

5db878f89b0f4683588170.gif?download

Nokdu : we are family I can help you with that :mrgreen:

Later

3eou92.gif

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

An epic reaction from the Jealous Lover ... 91.gif

BUSOhTd.gif

If glares can kill... 85.gif DJ is probably dead by now. 138.gif

Spoiler

3sDxKGk.gif

wrC6PzM.gif

aD2XB1I.gif

G5gDDr8.gif

The Passionate Subtle Glance 60.gif

Spoiler

HkecWvu.gif

Spoiler

X9DZGRA.gif

Ouch! Got rejected again~  77.gif

Spoiler

97cSOIc.gif

XA7nod6.gif

My ship is sinking! 86.gif

Spoiler

KgIJKMF.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 21

Aeng Du sure know a lot about the birds & the bees:smirk: and here I presume she only knew to eat a lot & well..she's got a pretty cheap mouth for a kid too:P Nok Du has walked into Yul Mu's trap, I'm afraid what fate has in store for our otp..:cold_sweat: also his minion look a lot like Lee Jun Ki btw:w00t: 

What a bizarre love triangle between Nok Du's suitor-Dong Joo-Nok Du ahahah:lol::lol::lol:

So this ep. confirms that Dong Joo is in fact from a wealthy family. Her name is supposedly Eun Seo??

• Like 12
  • Love 2

@Ameera Ali He deserved a beating! 125.gif

qq578sM.gif

That smirk is killing me! 111.gif

EEIMB5K.gif

... From Love

Spoiler

kyDx5I3.gif

fm81z61.gif

GOQDFXU.gif

... To Hatred

Spoiler

9an39Vo.gif

inbsDTq.gif

But it feels good to see him beaten up! 149.gif

Spoiler

BuCxuvj.gif

djO4SVe.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 6
  • Awesome 3

@jeonghyang  with that smirk, he still manage to raise a loyal dog :joy: that can carry him in the back if he needed it :P He most be the writer of how to train your dog :joy: 

Trick : ^_^

5db8b0d66c969208700984.gif?download

Then treat :D

5db8b0f6c6cda166615232.gif?download

Or treat :lol:

5db8b0c0b61af274158271.gif?download

Then Trick : :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

5db8b0e767b69387597811.gif?download

• Like 3
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1

Finished episode 9 with subs. I might be in a minority here but I’m currently more invested in Gwanghae and Nokdu relationship than in the relationship between our lovebirds. The last scene when the king beamed with pride at Nokdu made my heart bleed. He seems to genuinely like Nokdu and feel connected to him.

Am I the only one who’s really rooting for the King to take the right path? Is it too late for him to right the wrongs? I wouldn’t mind if this drama would be about mending the bond between a father and son instead of trying to kill and dethrone each other.

• Like 15
  • Love 2

I know that perhaps ND's little stunt with YM was perhaps not the best move, but I did think that it was good in that it did demonstrate that ND is a worthy opponent. Since ND started on this journey, how many times has he fooled or pulled on over on YM?

If you think about their interaction in the widow's village, YM was completely fooled that ND was a woman. And that was literally right under his nose and YM is supposed to be well informed and yet he had no idea that his own cousin was spying.

Plus ND kept stealing all of his treats for DJ as well as disrupt their time together, not to mention how his little make out session with ND REALLY through him for a loop. :D 

Then while YM is still looking for DJ, ND finds her instead (yes, I know that ND and DJ have OTP fate, but still, he found her first)and is inadvertently hiding her from him. And lastly, while he knew of ND little scheme, that kind of blew up in YM's face in that HE gets kidnapped instead and nearly killed...and he really couldn't do anything to stop it. If his bodyguard hadn't shown up, he would have been D.E.A.D. ! 

So I have a feeling that ND is going to continue to throw YM for a loop and surprise him in ways that he does not plan for.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

6aq8hlmde0s4.gif

+++++++

Jang Dong Yoon Cross-Dressing in The Tale of Nokdu is One for the Ages

jang dong yoon tale of nokdu
Girl pretends to be a guy to get close to her longtime crush? Check ✔
Girl pretends to be a guy so she can get hired for a job she desperately needs? Check ✔
Girl pretends to be her twin brother and joins a boyband to cover for his disappearance? Check ✔
Spoiler

In the past decade, we've seen an influx of gender bender dramas all over Asia that are mainly dominated by female characters dressed as men such as the different Hana Kimi adaptations, Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful, Bromance, Ouran High School Host Club and Sungkyunkwan Scandal to name a few. I've pretty much gotten used to women playing such roles. But a man? Playing a female character? In the Joseon era?! Say whaaaat?

gender bender dramas

Hana Kimi, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, Ouran Highschool Host Club, You're Beautiful, Bromance, Coffee Prince, To The Beautiful You

Although it isn't the first time an actor has challenged cross-dressing for a role, it sure feels like the first time an actor in a leading role has had to cross-dress as a woman for almost the entirety of the drama. Jang Dong Yoon who plays the character Nokdu in the drama The Tale of Nokdu 조선로코-녹두전 has taken cross-dressing to a whole new level with his portrayal of Lady Kim, a pretend widow seeking revenge. 

A lot of fans and viewers who have seen the show have expressed how they initially watched the drama for their beloved Kim So Hyun who plays the leading lady in the series but fell head over heels for the beautiful Jang Dong Yoon as the leading woman in the drama. I mean, just look at him! 

jang dong yoon kim so hyun tale of nokdu
The Tale of Nokdu tells the story of Nokdu - a young man who lived all his life in an island away from society with his brother and father. One day, a group of trained assassins tried to murder his brother and father and in order to catch one of the escapees, he chases the assassin back to the capital against his father's wishes. In order to find the attacker who turned out to be a woman, Nokdu decides to pose as a widow to get an exclusive into the village where his assailant was last seen. There, he meets Dong Dong Joo, a slave girl with a dark past whom he falls in love with almost at first sight. 

Spoiler

jang dong yoon tale of nokdu gender bender

Isn't he beautiful?! It's a crime to look that good. What sets Jang Dong Yoon apart from other male actors who have tried to cross-dress in a role is the fact that he has very feminine and delicate features as well as the ability to shift from a deep voice to a soft and high-pitched one flawlessly

I don't think I've seen an actor after Lee Joon Gi's The King and the Clown in 2005 pull off looking like a woman so convincingly that you'd start to question yourself. It's a skill to walk in like a queen one moment and then make your heart thump like crazy the second he puts on his manly voice. 

Before this drama, I didn't even know who Jang Dong Yoon was. The casting director should get a raise because Jang Dong Yoon is perfect for this role!

the tale of nokdu crossdress
www.dramapanda

• Like 11
  • Love 7

Me thinking that ND and DJ would get together early after the first kiss: 

f2e42f689fb1f34d94a7e9b117ea5499.jpg

Although I understand DJ's reason why she has been pushing ND away and neglecting her own feeling but its just SO frustrating watching them just hurting each other. DJ is confessing her love to everyone, to the king, to the chicks, to YM but NOT ND. OMGEEEE.... pleaseeeeee.....just. GET. TOGETHER. ALREADYYY. 

giphy.gif

With that said, I find he scenes when they were bickering seems so real hahaha, like it doesnt look like acting to me. I see sohyun and dongyoon instead of DJ and ND LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

Blame on her bad sleeping habit but it's always him sneaking in her blanket... like since the first encounter ever ~

img.gif

EWGXFol.jpg?1

It's quite off-topic but here's my new wish: Kim Eun Sook writer-nim, pls bring them back together one day (I'm not really fond of KES drama, but I like her writing, her drama full of cinematic scenes, coherent details and good dialogue... or at least, she never waste OTP chemistry)

img.gif

cre: twitter

• Like 7
  • Love 6

Too many comments to read through. Will slowly take my time to read everything. In the meantime can we appreciate the return of topless nokdu? If after all this skinship they don't give us a bed scene I'll revolt. It is the literal logical next step after all that nakedness. Stop preparing our hearts writers we are already ready. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

@petuniaThe director is just toying with viewers' emotions. Hahaha... I really wish that they would move on from the pushing and pulling already too. It's just that Dongjoo's larger mission is really in the way. You can see Nokdu is not the one who is denying anything. He only does so out of frustration with her and her words, but because he has chosen to respect her need for privacy on this matter, he is not pursuing this secret she is clearly unwilling to share with anyone else. In fact, I think Yulmu has no idea either. Imagine if he did. He'd be totally manipulating her desire to kill the king for his own personal gain to want to ascend the throne now.

I'm glad that in episode 9, we got to see more of Yulmu again. He is one face I love to hate at the moment. He looks so kindly and innocent when he's slaving over the stove, but my my... that manipulative mind of his. How he is now trying to gain control of the Muweol Corps for his benefit through Lady Ssook. Just glad that Lady Ssook is not one to warm up quickly to people or circumstances and is carefully weighing the pros and cons of Yulmu's proposition. I'm just waiting to see how Yulmu will fall in this drama. We know for sure he gets the crown eventually (there's only this much history you can re-write), but it will be counted as loss given that he will lose his autonomy also. This is something he does not yet know, but history does write that he becomes a powerless king. That nobleman who asks for a written will as condition for backing Yulmu up - is he the next character to watch? Will he also be the one to bring Heo Yoon down?

Perhaps the best ending to this is still that Dongjoo realises that the real villain in the plot against her family is Heo Yoon and the King manages to escape the palace with his queen, Nokdu and Dongjoo. In this, hopefully the King gets to live (even for a short while) the simple life which he is actually yearning for - with people he loves who love him back around him. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1