Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

Yulmu is double cruel after I watch this episode with sub T___T

And once again, I have to say: no way back for him since he's Injo. Even though this is a fictional story, once they bring real historical figures into it, they cant change any history event. So you guys may know how will this drama end.

Back to our drama, 

1- The question: whether Yulmu knows abt Dongjoo's killing-king-revenge. Does he aim to get the throne bcs of Dongjoo? See the reason he destroyed the village. To sweep all Muwol trace? Like madame Chun said, it's no need to be that much, those widows were innocent. It's not that ND was still in the village for him to kill either.  And why he hasnt killed ND yet? He hasnt known ND is the king's child is one of the reason. Bcs of DJ's words is an excuse. He's annoyed by ND, but totally underestimates ND to consider him as his rival threat. Which also means DJ's tearful confession didnt burden him. And it's true, he ignored her feelings, he burned her village. That's not love, that's possession and manipulation over his once-upon-a-time-finance.

It's fair to say he showing off his aim to the throne is just bcs his time is coming, Yeongchang is dead, nothing related with ND or DJ here. So all of these just shows his thirst of blood, power and kind of psycho :fearful:

Btw, DJ once said he got her weakness and manipulated her somehow, so I guess that DJ's already known his true color.

2- Now YM's the only villain here. Since Heo shows off as an officer who is searching for a good king. Bringing Yeongchang to the throne doesnt mean he gonna betray Kwanghae, he's just loyal to later king. He  and madame Chun are the real protectors of the village. So it's necessary for them to team up wih ND asap... But we know the result.

The point is: does madame Chun know DJ's background? She treated DJ in a very special way.  So if she does know DJ, Lord Heo may know too. So there's no way they just keep her here for no purpose. 

3-  @kshuuuuuw Indeed I think up till now, it's Nokdu who is a damsel in distress :lol:. Everybody kept secret from him for... 20yrs and now, they hurt him in order to protect him. He's the one who is clueless abt everything and has no real plan to access the truth. The only difference is he's a male lead aka male center, so he's allowed to do things clever.

But for DJ, although I'm so unpleased with her suddenly-fading-out, to tell the truth, it's her choice. That's what the character aim to be. She settles her own path, focuses on it and keeps herself away from everyone despite she knows how much ppl love her, only ND is annoying enough to distract her -_- But I'm still praying for her plan. Writer-nim, pls dont waste KSH talent for any stupid lovesick or revenge thing. Pls show us what she's really doing.

PS1: I'm still suffering from the village-burning scene :dissapointed_relieved:

PS2: If you want to watch a real rom-com, just watch the BTS

• Like 12
  • Insightful 2

awww i love the bts - its hilarious they were laughing sooooooooooo much when the scene is supposed to be all sad and moody. Glad they are all having fun on set. Love reading all the analysis by everyone - will try to add when I finish watching ep 7 with subs! 

• Like 13

@lightbringer06 Every time I think Nokdu & Yulmoo are cousins, I understand The meaning to the phrase kissing cousins  :joy::mrgreen:

5db06d80813ba783804409.gif?download

* nokdu should be excited to meet the whole family & greet them with passion :lol:

• LOL 16

19 minutes ago, valNK said:

Here's my opinion about your questions :D I love to discuss this drama ...

19 minutes ago, valNK said:

1- The question is that whether Yulmu knows abt Dongjoo's killing-king-revenge.

.Watching his 1st episode that he's the one who found Dongju's will when she went for her revenge. I think he knew and that's why he thinks she's an ally and good for him

And does he aim to get the throne bcs of her? 

I don't think so.. He has hidden agenda long time ago. I think it's his family and the political party who back up his family.

Why did he want to destroy the village?

The King is suspicious with the village and the people from the village. He's looking for witness.  YM must cut his trails and left no traces to avoid the King have any tiny suspicious about him. He use thugs robbed the village as the cover.

Like madame Chun said, it's no need to be that much, those widows were innocent.

But some of them maybe ever met YM and afraid mention his name to the King...  HOWEVER, YM forgot about Yong Geun.. I really want to know what Yong Geun told the King. I think the King is aware about YM

2- Now YM's the only villain here. Since Heo shows off as an officer who is searching for a good king. Bringing Yeongchang to the throne doesnt mean he gonna betray Kwanghae, he's just loyal to later king. He  and madame Chun are the real protectors of the village. So it's necessary for them to team up wih ND apas... But we know the result.

I think Heo is a greedy minister. Nokdu's dad knows about his personality that's why he asked Heo.. what kind of treason plan you are making now... (something like that). The King Gwang Hae over power him that's why Heo wish to replace the king with the young and inexperience King? I'm not sure ND's dad will team up with Heo to make ND to replace the King.

Madame Chun know DJ's background? She treated DJ in a very special way.  

True, I'm curious too..

So if she does know DJ, Lord Heo may know too. So there's no way they just keep her here for no purpose. 

I don't think she told Heo Yet. Madam Cheon is a very smart person and she really cares for her girls. But she knows YM is eyeing on Dongju

3-  But for DJ, although I'm so unpleased with her suddenly-fading-out, to tell the truth, it's her choice. That's what the character aim to be. She settles her own path and focuses on it, kept herself away from everyone despite how much ppl loves her, only ND is annoying enough to make her distract -_- But I'm still praying for her plan. Writer-nim, pls dont waste KSH talent for any stupid lovesick or revenge thing. Pls show us what she's really doing. 

I think KSH is really shining in ep 7. And I'm happy that the drama shows that she's a very strong woman, who is so much in love with Nokdu, and protect Nokdu from Evil YM using her own way. She can fight along the villagers too.. I love she's using her bow to safe the lady cop of Muweol Village.. She totally nailed it! :wub:

Me too.. I'm very sad they destroy the village... the memory of Muweol Village :bawling:

And I love the last part of the episode... Nokdu run like a bullet to safe his princess. Dongju called his name and Nokdu really came just in time catch her in his arm... SWOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!:wub:

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@petunia gisaeng Nok-Du , what would be his skill :joy: ( dancing ) 

Show and tell to prove he has an adams apple and of course abs. Who said a gisaeng can't have abs and we can never talk about nokdu without talking about his abs. Anyone need any fish?

4 hours ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

I have to rewatch everything but I think the madame knew DJ’s mother or something. She made a promise to protect DJ. 

Since she dislike the king and believe the king was responsible of DJ’s family death, she was sympathetic to DJ’s pain and tried to help her.

I believe YM came to the gibang because of his suspicions towards minister Heo. He knew something was on the verge of happening ( he was right : gibang and widows village was home to assasins and réunion to prepare a coup). 

Theory : YM watched DJ and an inkling she wasn’t truthful about her identity. And somehow he discover her real identity. He has spies and ask where DJ come from. And then boom. Maybe DJ went to her former house and YM who already think DJ looks like her ex fiancé, concluded her real identity. 

I'm not ready to believe how much the madame knows. Did she already know the true identity of yulmu? Has she always known about him since he came to the gibang? I'm also not sure if they will ever answer the question regarding how he knew the true identity of dongjoo if she was presumed to have perished with her family. She must have been 9-10 at the time of the incident how did she manage to escape after being buried? Who helped her and why? What am sure of is yulmu wanting to become king has nothing to do with dongjoo. His ambitions are his own but at the same time I do think he genuinely loves dongjoo but in the way only a psycho ambitious person can love another person. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

@lightbringer06 Every time I think Nokdu & Yulmoo are cousins, I understand The meaning to the phrase kissing cousins  :joy::mrgreen:

* nokdu should be excited to meet the whole family & greet them with passion :lol:

That scene just reminded me of when we know nothing of Yulmu. Those were the good times... yeah, good times ^_^. That image of him now is completely buried in the very back of my mind because I only see selfish evil Yulmu now.

I too hope Dongjoo joins the Muwol and starts training her other skills besides archery while she and ND are separated for the meantime. I still believe that the grave where she was crying is not ND's because the conversation between her and Ssook was her saying it was the doings of the robbers and Ssook telling her they will pay for it. My guess is that it would probably be one of the widows she's close to, or any females she is close to. But, yeah, there's a slight possibility it might be a fake ND death because why else would they be separated if ND will choose to fake his death. But then again, Nokdu isn't like that, why would he hurt the woman he loves the most by faking his death? He himself knows the sorrow of losing someone you love but to go as far as fake his own death isn't like him. So, noble idiocy? Please... hope not.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

28 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

I too hope Dongjoo joins the Muwol and starts training her other skills besides archery while she and ND are separated for the meantime. I still believe that the grave where she was crying is not ND's because the conversation between her and Ssook was her saying it was the doings of the robbers and Ssook telling her they will pay for it. My guess is that it would probably one of the widows she's close to, or any females she is close to. But, yeah, there's a slight possibility it might be a fake ND death because why else would they be separated if ND will choose to fake his death. But then again, Nokdu isn't like that, why would he hurt the woman he loves the most by faking his death? He himself knows the sorrow of losing someone you love but to go as far as fake his own death isn't like him. So, noble idiocy? Please... hope not.

I hope he doesnt disappear willingly on DongJoo after what he asked of her to do in this ep. He looks pretty hurt in the preview though so maybe Master Hwang did some saving and he woke up sometime later, wanting to go back. I am curious though - they destroyed the widow village but did the gisaeng house survive? It's in close proximity and would have the same "history" as the widow village no? What if DongJoo's friend Hwa Soo is the one who died? Wouldn't want that though, because then really everyone in DongJoo's world is dying. I doubt its the Madam Cheon who died since she's in Hanyang. I hope the Virtuous Corps survives and joins Muwol too. 

Maybe DongJoo ends up in HanYang with YulMu and HwangTae somehow... then we get that HT-DJ link as with the webtoon? They stil haven't even met haha. And well the secrets are rather rapidly revealing! ND knows he's the king's son, Mdm Cheon should know he is male by now, where will the 'conspiracy' bring us?

• Like 13

1 hour ago, petunia said:

Show and tell to prove he has an adams apple and of course abs. Who said a gisaeng can't have abs and we can never talk about nokdu without talking about his abs. Anyone need any fish?

Yeah that explain popping up , these Abs of his calling for freedom :joy::mrgreen:

15718504841571850435.gif

• LOL 19

I assume YM will be officially king next episodes, with a hypothetical time jump.

King Injo will be married to another woman ( plus concubines and all).

Maybe he think DJ is dead ? (Same way DJ may believe Nokdu is dead ?). So he will try to forget her and marry another woman to strengthen his power. 

He won’t have to identify corpses since the flames burn everything. 

I am angry YM will be rewarded for this cruel actions by being king. He apparently died of a disease at 53. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

I will go back-read all the above posts later...thank you for all the insightful discussion and of course the funny commentaries, everyone! Wanted to get this off my chest. I was rewatching the final scene of episode 14 and I couldn't quite make out what Dong Joo uttered before she lost consciousness. It makes sense to be "Nokdu-ya" since that's the only name that Aeng Du could have told her, but for some reason it sounds like "Dong Joo-ya"? (Read somewhere that viewers in Korea are also split on what they heard, though the majority are going with "Nokdu"). Anyone who can figure this out? 

p.s. I will be offline for the next 20 hours or so due to real life, so please pardon any late responses.

• Like 14
  • Insightful 2

I love how his money is her money :mrgreen::joy:

5db0e0719686e603888586.gif?download

few hours later :lol: it’s enough for me 

5db0e01e13856232502124.gif?download

Buy & looking for best food :D

5db0e04cee6f8644404083.gif?download

• Like 4
  • LOL 12

SUKgi6X.png

i wonder if ND is looking straight at YM. 

BTW anyone knows how far into filming they are? there are bts photos of nd and dj together, so hopefully they will not be separated for too long (just half an episode pls..-_-)

• Like 15

7 hours ago, herina_90 said:

He looks pretty hurt in the preview though so maybe Master Hwang did some saving and he woke up sometime later, wanting to go back. I am curious though - they destroyed the widow village but did the gisaeng house survive? It's in close proximity and would have the same "history" as the widow village no? What if DongJoo's friend Hwa Soo is the one who died? Wouldn't want that though, because then really everyone in DongJoo's world is dying. I hope the Virtuous Corps survives and joins Muwol too. 

then we get that HT-DJ link as with the webtoon? They stil haven't even met haha. And well the secrets are rather rapidly revealing! ND knows he's the king's son, Mdm Cheon should know he is male by now.

He is hurt indeed. Idk if he engaged in a fight with those hired barbarics and that's how he got injured. Hope that's the case because I want this...

20191024-065719.png 

... to mean an unfinished conversation he had with DJ. So he wants to go back to Hanyang. About the gisaeng house, I'm not too sure if it got destroyed too but it looks to me like it's probably not since they were only attacking the widows. But we'll see next week how much the damage is. Hwa Soo did came to my mind too and even Madam Cheon but I don't think the gisaengs were in any way hurt by the attack, I hope! I want to think that the grave is for all the widows who have died. I just want everyone who's in the original webtoon to survive in the end because then the essence of it would be gone if even one of those characters end up dying. And although the Virtous Corps aren't in the webtoon, I hope they survive too.

Right? HT's role in this drama is totally different. I also believe he chose to stay with Yulmu as a way of protecting ND by being close to ND's number one enemy now. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, am I right?^^ 

6 hours ago, Sky8lue said:

I was rewatching the final scene of episode 14 and I couldn't quite make out what Dong Joo uttered before she lost consciousness. It makes sense to be "Nokdu-ya" since that's the only name that Aeng Du could have told her, but for some reason it sounds like "Dong Joo-ya"? (Read somewhere that viewers in Korea are also split on what they heard, though the majority are going with "Nokdu"). Anyone who can figure this out? 

HAHA... it's pretty clear to me it's Nokdu-ya. Because even if, let's say, it is Dongjoo, it wouldn't make any sense :)... the flashback leading up to it, which you also mentioned, her asking ND's real name, happened before she uttered those words ^^...

• Like 13
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, lightbringer06 said:

... to mean an unfinished conversation he had with DJ. So he wants to go back to Hanyang.

I think the unfinished conversation he meant was the one with Minister Heo, when nokdu confronted minister heo why he tried to kill his family before they were interrupted by mdm cheon who informed them about the danger in widow village

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1

I love how the conversations and discussions are hotting up here!

Regarding the actual history of the kings and the political factions that existed then:

Political Factions During King Seonjo's Reign

During his reign, King Seonjo's government was heavily influenced by 2 scholars who would eventually result in a political divide referred to as the "Western Faction" and the "Eastern Faction". The Westerners were politically conservative - this was the faction that became Prince Neungyang (Yulmu)'s supporters. They were backed up mainly by the aristocrats. The Eastern Faction were politically more liberal. [And for the fun of some trivia, I think in the Rookie Historian, Cha Eunwoo's character's father was probably loosely based on King Injo's son who had been influenced greatly by ideas from the western world, including Christianity, that came through China in the Qing Dynasty. King Injo's first 2 sons had been held captive by the Qing as a result of a treaty he signed with them, promising subservience to the Qing Emperor.]

By King Gwanghae's time, the conservative Western Faction had fallen out of the political running and the Eastern Faction had become the ruling party. Within the Eastern Faction however, there were further splits, this time into the Northern and Southern factions. The Northern Faction was further sub-divided into the Greater Northerners and Lesser Northerners. The Greater Northerners were extreme leftists. Lesser Northerners less reform minded. The Southerners least radical of the 3. All of them were however liberal. So in summary:

Westerners

Political Conservatives. Out of favour during Seonjo's time. Gained momentum during Gwanghae's time. Eventual backers for Yulmu.

Easterners

Split into
• Greater Northerners - extreme left

• Lesser Northerners - moderate left who wanted to install Prince Yeongchang as King [Minister Heo Yoon]

• Southerners - least left

Political Support for Gwanghae vs Injo (Neungyang, in this drama, Yulmu)

It would seem Gwanghae had no specific leanings or supporters from any of these parties. In fact, he tried to have all the different political parties represented in his court, but that made his officials even angrier and lessened his favour among them, leading eventually to his dethronement. As a note of interest in how this story has been fictionalised for us, while Seonjo did leave behind a will to have Gwanghae succeed him, his most favourite son was Yeongchang. There is no known "secret will" as in the drama to install Yeongchang over Gwanghae. 

In this entire political feud, Neungyang was never politically active. At least not overtly so. It is interesting to note that history records that Gwanghae never intended to hold onto the throne and could possibly have just been the de facto ruler that ended up succeeding the throne because his father essentially gave up rule (short of abdicating) and left everything in his hands because his older brother (who had direct claim to the throne) was a dud. Eventually, when Injo became king, he also did not have true power; the real political will was in the hands of the Western Faction that had placed him on the throne. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 10

In trying to see how this history could be fictionalised in TTON, I reckon:

• Since Gwanghae had no known heir during his reign, Nokdu is the fictionalised could-have-been son that was gotten rid of at birth. The reason for Gwanghae wanting to kill his son then is still unknown to us and may be revealed in the next episode at the all-important swing. Given Nokdu's character is fictional, we can assume by the end of this story, he will not live as royalty and therefore will not enter the palace at all.

• Nokdu's adoptive father, Jung Yoonjeo, might have been apolitical. I think his loyalty was simply to Gwanghae who was a friend. It is possible too that at the time of Nokdu's birth, Minister Heo was also apolitical and was just following Gwanghae's orders to make sure no one ever knew of his son's birth. Perhaps no one ever knew even that the queen was pregnant and she was hidden away all 9 months. 

• Both Minister Heo and Yoonjeo thought the baby was indeed dead. Yoonjeo was to do the dirty deed of burial, with Heo being instructed thereafter to kill Yoonjeo too. But the baby cried while being pelted by the rain and Heo in a moment of compassion told Yoonjeo to take the baby and "live as though you were dead". He however had to report to Gwanghae that the instructions had been carried out to exact completion. He supposedly was the only one with the knowledge of the king's son having ever been born and was in actuality alive. 

• When Minister Heo raided Dongjoo's grandfather's home, it must have been because of rumour that there was a secret will that would lead to Gwanghae's replacement. This is the fictionalised part of history where Yeongchang was known to be Seonjo's favourite and a more "rightful" crown prince by lineage. Could Gwanghae have instructed this raid in a bid to control the politicking going on at that time? History does not paint Gwanghae to be a bad king, but even good kings have had to make cruel decisions within the court in order to maintain external peace. As legitimate King on the throne (afterall, Seonjo did name him successor despite all), any attempt at treason would have to be quelled to maintain order in the court. 

• I posit that it is after serving Gwanghae as king for a period of time, Heo starts to develop political will. He hears of the rumour of the secret will and gets his hands on it. If the raid had indeed been instructed by Gwanghae, then why was the will not handed over to Gwanghae? Surely Gwanghae would've asked him for it. And he hands over... nothing? If not, then Heo must've acted without the king's orders although he carries out the massacre in Gwanghae's name. Afterall, he's the king's right hand man. How much power he must wield. 

• By this point in the show, Gwanghae knows his political power is waning. He is aware of a plan to remove him and is thus trying to look for the mastermind behind whoever is plotting to remove him. He does not suspect Neungyang could be the one trying to take over the throne. He suspects the plot only to be the one revolving around Yeongchang. However, Yeongchang dies, not by Gwanghae's hands although he does not know that. Afterall, in history, Yeongchang is executed as part of the attempt at treason. 

• Dongjoo may know of how powerful Yulmu is. Afterall, he has "saved" her countless times, even at her old house. She must know at least that he is royalty. She does not question him when he tells her that he can exactly walk around as he pleases and kill as he pleases. But she ran into hiding when she was very young and Yulmu only found her or reconnected with her much later. She would not have known of him developing political ambitions in that time. 

• In Dongjoo's memory and youth, her family's death is a direct cause of Gwanghae's orders. So she must kill him to avenge her family. But in effect, do we know if Gwanghae really was the one who gave the order for the massacre? 

• So now Heo switches political allegiance. He's certainly not going to support the Westerners, but he's got to pretend, right? Will Gwanghae ever find out Heo had at some point wanted to dethrone him? Heo is the one to bring Nokdu to his father. Is Heo pro-Gwanghae, now that all the "legitimate heirs" of Seonjo are dead? Afterall, if Nokdu has been raised a "righteous and just man", then he will be the perfect Crown Prince for Heo's party who only want true political form, but at a reasonable pace. Being raised outside the palace, Nokdu supposedly would not be educated enough to want to push through with his own ideas and would be a good and likeable puppet for the Lesser Northerners. 

I say, by the end of the show,

• Dongjoo realises what an evil psychopath Yulmu is and the look of hate in her eyes for him will drive him into greater political rage and 

• the coup would have taken place. Yulmu gets the crown but loses the girl.

• Dongjoo discovers it was Heo who commanded the massacre instead, not the king and so he becomes the target of her revenge.

• Heo in playing double agent between Gwanghae and Neungyang will die in the battle between both sides. Revenge complete.

• Nokdu and Dongjoo help Gwanghae to escape, and they run off to live their island life. Happily-not-ever-after because we know in history that eventually, Gwanghae does get captured. But nevermind. There will be no sequel to this drama. 

Ta-dah. 

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 11

Is anybody else a little disappointed that we’re going Romeo & Juliet route AGAIN? Darn, how many time do I need to watch “I love you even though your family killed my mother/father/grandfather/brother etc.”

I was hoping we’d get more comedy but since episode 6 the drama turned into a traditional sageuk..,

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1